When tales come true Chapter 09

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 9

Healer

Having everyone over for lunch was fun. Dixie stayed in her room being embarrassed. Everyone else had a good time though. After the food it came down to talking about where we should take Sanctuary. This is the first time all the main players sat down to do this.

Angel started us off "I think we should act like a more relaxed version of my Mothers Hall. Teens need openness to grow. I do think we need more for the boys to do."

Darla stated "I agree but think the numbers should be equal boy girl wise. This is the time hearts open up so there should be romance possible. That is something the Six have not got into yet and need too."

I put in my thoughts "Romance is going to complicate things. I am all for it if it happens but I for one am not going to look for it."

Angel looked at me "You are the one who needs it the most you know. Being a Grand Mage has closed you off. Romance would open you up. Besides it is a great stress reliever!"

Ben just sat back and watched as we talked things out. We kept going on about romance and filling in the holes in our ranks so we could teach everyone who comes to us. But in the end nothing was decided. So Angel and Darla went back to the boat to leave. Ben decided to stay for a bit to assess the security risks over here. So I showed him around my side of the lake. We found many things I had not noted so far. Including a bunkhouse like on the other side of the lake. He looked over the Bunkhouse and said "I will stay here tonight. I will set some guards here in the next few days. I wish we had a better way to travel between the sides of the lake."

I smiled "We need to set some mages at the mirror rooms to port people through. I'll draw up a plan for that and see what Angel and Darla think. It should be set up soon." About this time I noted that we had been looking around for four hours. How time flies when you are with someone fun. We went back to my home to have dinner. Dixie was downstairs so I asked her "Have you ever opened a portal by yourself?"

Dixie looked sad "No Mistress, I was never allowed. I don't even have a portal ring. May I ask why you ask that?"

I sighed "Until we get the right teacher for you we need you to do something. We need a portal mage to work the mirror room."

She looked like I hit her. "What do you mean the right teacher? I thought you were the one to teach me? Have I failed you too many times?"

I shook my head "I have found the type of magic that is best for you and it is one I am not good at. So I am finding you a teacher that can teach you properly. I like you Dixie so I want to do right by you." When she still looked down I continued. "You are a healer. It is a very rare form of mage. So you should be glad to have such a rare gift." She did not look like she believed me. I picked up a knife and cut my hand and held it out to her. "Heal me as I know you can." She slowly reached out and took my hand. Her hand felt warm and slowly turned hot. When she took her hand away my hand was healed like it had never been cut! I smiled "See I knew that you are a healer! A very strong one at that! This is one test you passed without a hitch." She looked at my hand shocked. "I can not do that so I am having Darla find you a Healer to learn from. Your skills will help Sanctuary greatly!"

Dixie seemed to be in shock "I'm a healer. I never gave that a thought. I can do magic right I just needed to find the right kind!" Her smile came back and we were both happy. We sat down and ate after that.

After dinner was done I took Zoe out for a walk and talk. We walked for a bit then ended up at the mirror room. This is where I test my thoughts. I looked at Zoe ant told her to open a portal. I did not tell her how just to do it.

She looked at me "How did you know? I don't think I have done any magic while I was here?" She shook her head.

I shrugged "The box test told me a lot but I was wondering about you from the start. You might as well tell me all about it now."

She sighed "The Archmage has been watching this project since the start. She remembers the stories and wants to see what you do with it. I was sent to watch and protect you. I am a combat mage fire type. I was sent in undercover so the different factions would not try anything. Nobody but the Archmage, you and me know this. I don't know why I was given this job but I plan to do it well. Besides it is fun being a maid for a bit."

I looked her in the eye. "Well if you planned to hurt me you could have many times. So for now I will keep this between you and I. I will think on this but your role may change. I need someone who can open a portal read here during certain parts of the day. I will give you a ring and you will do it. We will tell people I found you to have potential and am training you as a portal mage. That would give you more freedom to move around the area."

She smiled "That would be nice. It is hard to protect you if I am stuck in the house all day. You don't really spend much time at home you know." She grinned when she said the last part. We headed back and I went into the Den to think.

Sunday morning Darla got a hold of me and told me she was heading out to talk to the healer she knew. She said it would take a few days. Well by next week we should have Dixie sorted out.

Ben showed up for breakfast. It was nice to have him around. Not that I was thinking of romance. My two lives makes that too complicated. I am sure Ben would not want to go out with a part time girl. Sometimes I wish I was normal. Having two lives can really suck sometimes. Well I guess I can't dwell on that. I walked to the mirror room with Ben and put him through the portal to the other side of the lake. I went back to my home and into the den to work up the plan for the portal mage rotation. Cryss was fidgety on her perch so I tossed her a few crystals to eat. That made her happy.

Zoe came in after tapping at the door like a good maid. Dang what am I going to do about her? She set down a cup of tea. She paused then withdrew. After what was reveled in the mirror room I am not sure what to think about the whole matter. The Archmage a mage of great power always watching from the shadows. Like Angel says Pulling strings and playing the tune. Why does she want me protected? Protected form who or what? What does this mean? Well I have to get out of my head. I am going to work on my new boat. As I walked down to the shore Darla's Boat bumped ashore. Jenny and Tina came out of the boat.

Jenny smiled "We thought we would spend the day with you if you don't mind? Darla's away so lessons are off today."

"You could use the practice rooms in the Hall of Magic if you want? All I was going to do was work on my new boat. What type of magic does she have you doing?" I asked.

Jenny said "Tina's working on wind magic and I am working on fire magic."

"Ok I'll teach you both a spell you can practice then we will see how it goes." I fished around in my bag till I came up with the right book. "For Tina, Pixie wings would be good! For Jenny, Dragon wings will do!" They both looked at each other very happy. I wrote out the spells. Then took them to the Main room in the Hall to practice. I watched and corrected as they cast their spells. Both sported the right wings. Tina buzzed her wings to show them off. Jenny flapped hers a few times to get used to them. I smiled at their antics. After I had them fly around the room a few times the side effects of the spells became apparent. Tina shrank to six inches tall and Jenny turned scaly and red. At that point I told them to break the spells. When they did they both returned to normal almost. Tina retained the pointed ears and Jenny remained slightly reddish. We talked of the spells and they both wanted to prefect the casting the spells. If they can take it to a certain level and stop maybe the side effects would not be so bad. Jenny looked at me and said "Why do you not have side effects when you grow wings?"

I smiled at her "I do have side effects from my wings. Every time I grow them it gets harder to make them go away and I get addicted to having them. The compulsion to find high places to soar is very strong even now. In magic the stronger the spell the stronger the cost! When I created the Crystal hall there was a great cost. It is a part of me and if it is harmed I am harmed. Same with everything I create to some extent. You see I am now linked to Sanctuary in a very real way." The girls looked at me not knowing what to say. I just smiled and said "Shall we fly across the lake?" Both shook their heads no. "You can shift your selves back if you change too much but then that's another spell." I grinned "Time for lunch I think. Don't worry just remember everything we do has a cost." We walked into my home and had a good lunch Zoe had ready for us.

After lunch I sent the girls back over the lake and got ready to head back to school. I was heading back early to get some studying done. Eric had finals to get ready for. Dang it is hard when I am two people. Who is the real one? Oh well I guess I will find out after I am done with school till then I will just live two lives. I went to the mirror room and ported shifting halfway through back to Eric.

At the school I signed back in and set myself to study in the study hall. An hour later two people sat down beside me. it was Ms. Snow and Ms. Wright. Well isn't this a kick in the head. I sighed "Can I help you two?

Ms. Snow said "We want to talk to you about what your mother gave you. It is very important."

I looked at them and decided to tell them a little bit of the truth. "My mother just delivered a ring box with a ring in it. Nothing of note outside the family."

They looked at me like they were trying to decide if I was telling the truth. "Can I see this ring box an ring?" Ms. Snow asked.

I shook my head. "I have already passed it on to another family member. Before you ask I have no reason to tell you who or where they are. The Box and ring are nothing special so it does not matter. I have nothing else to say on that matter. So just leave me alone."

Ms. Snow looked hard at me. In a quiet voice she said "We know you are hiding something and it has to do with magic! You wear a ring of one of the great houses so You are a noble and We will bring you to justice if we have to. No one is above King's law"

I looked at them "You are chasing the wrong guy! I live under no King. You must have the wrong country. As for Magic that does not even require a response. As for my being a Noble, my family was at one time but that was centuries ago. I wear this ring as a memento of my Grandmother. Your barking up the wrong tree!" I was getting real ticked at them. They were hitting a little too close to home.

A teacher came over "Is there a problem here?"

Ms. Snow "No problem here." She glared at me "This is not over. You will see!" Then strode off with her sidekick following.

I was really ticked off. The teacher asked "Are you all right? Should the Headmaster be made aware of this?" I nodded.

"I am Ok but I don't want those two around me any more. They are nothing but trouble!" I closed my books and got ready to go back to my room. The teacher rushed off. I did not need this with finals just around the corner. I got back to my room when a massager came rushing up with a summons from the Headmaster. Bloody lovely day I am having! I headed for the office after dropping off my books.

The Headmaster was in even though it was a Sunday. I knocked on his door. I heard "Enter." So opened the door. There was two women in with the Headmaster. One was the teacher that I talked to and the other was Ms. Teller. Well this could prove interesting. I entered slowly. The Headmaster pointed to a chair so I sat. The teacher was finishing telling about what happened from her point of view. She had heard most of what was said, too much of what was said. The Headmaster was just listening without expression. When the teacher was done he said "That will be all Ms. Bell I will take this matter from here." The teacher left. The Headmaster looked at me. "Those two are proving a problem. Though they are right you are hiding things. I knew your Grandmother. I knew many of her secrets. I am not sure how fare you are into those secrets but I don't like how it is disrupting my school! I noted that you wear a portal ring. Don't deign it. That means you are aware of the other world. How far you have gone there I don't know. I am not sure I want to know.

I added "You wear the Rose Crest Ring so I know you know more than most. I think you don't want to go into who I am on the other side."

He frowned "I may not want to but I think I have to. Your life there is splashing over into this side. So I will ask you once and only once to tell me what is going on?"

I thought for a moment. "I don't think it is wise to tell you everything but I will tell you that I used to work for Queen Aslina directly. I now am a founding member of the new Sanctuary."

He held up his hand and I stopped. "I can't believe that the Six are all young women. So you can not be one of them." When he stopped talking I got up and locked the door.

"This is to not go outside this room." When they both nodded I shifted. Ms. Teller had seen it before but this was new to the Headmaster. He frowned harder. "As you can see it is true. I will not let those Tangent people interfere with the work I am doing. I keep my two lives apart as I can but there is some bleed over."

The Headmaster looked at Ms. Teller "You knew about this." She nodded He went on Eric what you are telling me is out there even for the other world. Are you really a boy or a girl?"

I smiled "For now I am both. A boy here and a girl there. After I leave school I will decide what side of the fence I will live on. For now I live two lives. If you can't handle this I can take the memory's from you." I am hoping he can so my circle enlarges. He looked like he was considering it.

He shook his head "If I am going to head off these people I need to know this. So I will keep my memory's. Just one more Question, is there any more of the six here at this school?"

I smiled "To answer that question I would need permission from my Queen. so I wont answer just say that the trouble is to do with only me. I don't know why but they are targeting me. In less than two weeks I will disapeare into the summer and they will never find me."

The Headmaster looked thoughtful. "How is your grades? Are you up to date on all your classes?" He looked like he had a plan. For some reason I got a shiver down my back.

I answered "I am caught up on all my classes and having no problems. I get top marks without being showy about it. What do you have in mind?"

He smiled and I got a chill again. "I think you are going to get sick. I will have your class work sent to me and I will pass it to you. You will come back for finals but it will through them off if your not here."

"So your saying that I port to Sanctuary and you send my class work there. I only come back for finals. Is than what you are suggesting?" I asked. I hoped I heard right. Just then the phone rang and the Headmaster answered it. He mostly listened so I was not sure who it was. When he hung up.

He said "We got a problem those Tangent people are at the gate with a search warrant."

"I how long can you stall them? I will port to Sanctuary from my room. I can be away in just a few moments. There is nothing in my room of interest to them."

The Headmaster asked "Do you really need to go to your room or can you port from elsewhere?"

I shrugged "I just need a full size mirror. The rest is me. I don't keep anything in my room." The Headmaster opened a closet door to reveal a full size mirror. I opened a portal.

I was about to step through when Ms. Teller grabbed my arm "I am going with you. We need to talk about this more. You can send me back later." I looked at the Headmaster and he nodded. I sighed and stepped though. I had ported to the side of the lake with the Crystal Hall. I headed right there. I was looking for Angel. It was time to get answers. I ran into Angel half way to the Hall.

I said "We need to talk Angel. Things are coming to a head and I need answers. I hope you can give me some of them. Have you ever heard of the Tangent Institute or the King's Law?"

She looked startled "The Tangent Institute is a Watchers group. They know about this world and make sure that the two don't mix much. If they are spouting about the King's Law they are a faction that think there should be no crossovers. Not good, not good at all this is real bad. Tell me everything that has happened." That was not Angel asking that was the Queen commanding! I quickly filled her in as we headed for the Crystal Hall. It did not tale too long. As we passed the Throne room door she shifted into her sapphire gown and crown. This was becoming a official thing. I shifted my dress into a silver gown and pulled out my staff of office. Ms. Teller stood off to one side watching. Cryss swooped in to settle on my shoulder. This was as official as it gets. The Queen sat on the Throne and thought. "You did right getting out of there. I am not sure if you can ever go back there? The danger is high right now." She clapped her hands. One of her maids came to see what she wanted. "Call all the Six here at once!" She was pulling in everyone this was bad!

I asked "Your Majesty do the people have any mages on there side?" I was hoping she would say no. That would be the safest answer. My hopes were dashed when she answered.

"I believe they do! Is there a way to bar the mirror rooms? We need to make this place as safe as we can. With as few people as we have Sanctuary is in Danger!"

"Yes I can Bar the Mirror rooms tough it will take time and Lady Darla is still out there." I said Thinking out loud. A jangle at my wrist caught my attention. I opened the link with Darla. "Darla we need you back here now Bad things are going down!"

She replied in her teacher voice "Calm down I am on my way. What has happened?" She was being very calm as always. I filled her in and she lost her calm. "Dang it those people are nothing but trouble! I am bringing the healer with me. We need to hold up till this storm passes." I looked at Angel and she nodded. I rushed out growing wings as I did. Up in the are I headed for my side of the lake to bar the mirror room on that side. Darla's voice came to me "I am through should I bar the mirror room or are there others coming?"

I shouted to be heard over the wind "Bar it!" That would make us a little safer. This will make finals hard to get to. We need to get this settled fast. I landed next to the mirror room. I started to cast the barring spell as soon as I landed. It was a hard spell but one I knew well. I took me a hour to bar every mirror in the room. Time to go back and see what has been happening while I was gone. The flight back was fast and straight. I walked in and everyone was there. Everyone was in their best outfits. If it was not such a dire circumstance I would think it was a party.

We talked for two hours before the first attack came. The bar spells held. They were really trying to get to us. Apparently they did not know about the second mirror room as no attack came there. I started to form a plan to evacuate everyone from Sanctuary if it came to that. Just where to send them? I would stay my link to Sanctuary was too strong to give it up. I would send them then destroy the mirrors so they could not be followed. Then anyone who would try to invade my home would feel the full wrath of the Grand Mage of Sanctuary!

So the siege of Sanctuary began. Darla and I did back to back watches to fend off the attacks. The knights were placed half by each mirror room. Things were very tense. The maids made emergency packs and kept everyone fed. The first line of defense was Darla and I. Our magic was the strongest so we held the door closed. As I sat my watch I read my combat spell book. Zoe was a combat mage but only I knew that so I was keeping her as a ace in the hole. It was a hard three days! before they broke through. I used a shatter spell to break all the mirrors in the room. Five fighters got through before I could stop them. Ben and the knights attacked them right away. It was a quick bloody fight with the knights on the winning side. The cost was there. Three of our knights were hurt badly and we were out one mirror room. The breaking of the bar spell hurt Darla badly. She was almost knocked out. That left me and the backup mirror room. I pulled Angel aside. "It looks time for hard choices. Do we evacuate or try to hold this place?"

She looked at me "Where would we go? Do you think anyone would take us in? I have been thinking about this. There is no place to run to. I am afraid it is do or die time!" Then it came and I knew it was truly too late.

I shook my head "It is too late they have found the back door. I am taking the knights over there. Wish me luck!" I turned and spread my wings. The knights went the long way around the far end of the lake. I tuned after the last knight had passed a certain spot then I cast a dome spell. All the others and the Crystal Hall were covered by a woven crystal shield. At least they would be safe for a little wile if I fall. I continued across the lake to fight a great battle I could not afford to loose.

The back door as I called the second mirror room was smaller than the first but still held fourteen mirrors. I ordered Ben to physically brake all but three of the mirrors. This would funnel all the attacks to those three mirrors. Ben set his men ready to rush in if my spell breaks. Maybe I should say when it breaks. I was using all my strength to hold the line. I called on all the energy sources in reach to reinforce my spell. On the sixth day my spell broke. I remained standing by pure will. This was my home! No one was going to take it away from me. The fight lasted for hours. Until only Ben, Byron, Zoe, Cryss and me were left. They had stopped my break spell many times during the fight. Finally they stopped coming through and I was able to shut down the portal. I sat down as I told the boys to break the mirrors. We could not take another attack. When it was done I passed out.

I floated for a eternity embracing the nothingness. I was sure I was dead. I had been here before when I was very little. I just floated and waited for my next life to begin. Then there was pain. All I felt was pain. Somewhere someone was crying. I did not know who I just wanted them to stop. I wanted the nothingness back. There was another feeling a warmth flowing through my chest outward. Magic, it was magic that I was feeling. The pain slowly went away. I could breath again. I was alive again. I opened my eye's and I was in my bed. This was my bedroom in Sanctuary. We must have won.

A maid came in she looked startled when she seen I was awake. She tuned back and ran out. What's going on that was not Zoe? Was one of the Queens maids? I can barely move. How long have I been out?

Darla came though the door and sat on the chair next to the bed. "You decided to live huh? I am glad you did. Took your sweet time about it. How do you feel?"

I looked at her "Drained and stiff as a board. I take it we won?" I sighed.

Darla shook her head "Yes we won but at a great cost. All but two of the knights that maid of yours, you did know she is a combat mage, and your dragon walked away from the fight. They had to carry you. You have been in a coma for three days."

I sighed again "Yes I knew about Zoe and why she is here. Three days seems like thirty. Well after I get a little better I will make a mirror and we can contact the outside again. Maybe We can just make finals."

"We will see" Darla said. Just as Angel and the girls came in. Followed by the healer. The girls gave me hugs and the healer looked me over. I was pronounced on the mend.

So ended the Siege of Sanctuary. It started the aftermath of the battle.

To be continued
Life boosting comments Welcome. (All comments welcome)
up
190 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

wow

Alecia Snowfall's picture

my my...such excitement! now who exactly are these new faces and why are they after our girls?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

So many questions to be

So many questions to be answered, can't wait for the next chapter.
who is this so called king?
why does he have a problem with Eric/Ember?
could their line be a challenger to the throne?
Ember mentioned waiting for her next life to begin and that it had happened before,
was she someone else before the last time
will she be able to change back to Eric after this or did it change her permantly to Ember

come to think of it was her mother actually as cruel to her as she thought she was or was she simply trying to hide her to keep her safe from the bad people that would harm her and thats why she was disguised as Eric in the first place?
otherwise why would she visit Eric and give him Grandmothers things, maybe she stayed away from Eric/Ember because she was in hiding and didn't want to draw attention to her hidden daughter.

Wow

This story just keeps getting better and better. You are building a great world.

nomad

Cost

Tas's picture

Interesting developments this chapter, but I'm wondering about the combat strategy here. First, why leave so many portals open for so long? If this is as serious as it seems to be, just smash all but one and bar that one, or just shatter all of them from the start if you can make new ones. Better yet, smash all the mirrors except one, and then just kill whoever comes through until they stop sending people. I'm sure three knights against one can mow them down as they come through, only taking minor injuries, with one to drag away the body, and can be rotated out for healing until both of your healers there are completely wiped, at which point you just smash the last mirror if they're still send people after losing a few hundred. And that's not even using the mages. Kind of callous, but unless the enemy can send fireballs or magic through the mirrors, very effective.

Anyway, a fun read nonetheless and I'm looking forward to the next one :)

-Tas