When tales come true Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version


When tales come true

Chapter 11

Summertime


magefemale.jpg

In the morning I was quite sluggish and tired. Forging such a powerful yet delicate weapon took a lot out of me. It was strange that I was so up after finishing Bens blade yet so bushed after the Queens Blade. Maybe it was doing such work two days in a row? Well I'll have to put that aside for later. Now is time to see Darla and get her thoughts on my mages. Then see the Queen about the memorial of the siege. I hope she had time to think of what type she wanted. I hope I run into Ben it would be good to get his thoughts on the matter. Hmm I think I should check on the Imports. That should get me to lunch.

Up and though my morning routine. I went downstairs for tea and breakfast. I found Darla at the table having tea. I smiled "Morning, you did checkout the mages yesterday didn't you? What did you think?"

Darla frowned "That was three days ago. I have been here waiting for you to wake up! The healer said you were exhausted so we should just let you sleep. I stayed here to watch over you while you slept. Everyone was quite worried." She got up and gave me a hug. Well she has not done that in a while. She must have been worried. I sat down after she released me. Out for three days again. What is happening to me? Could this just be the cost of making such a fine weapon? Then that would mean that the giddy feeling I felt after completing Bens blade was a side effect? Why such a different result from similar works?

I should forget about things I can't know and work on the ones I can. "Well, what did you think of the mages? I found they had useful talents for building. Well all but Yvette she has a unusual talent. She is a shifter and mimic. I am not sure what to use her for yet?" I stirred my tea and thought. "Shifters are useful for a wide range of tasks. What task would be best for her I am not sure." I took a sip of my tea. Winter wood tea, I need to check the stock of teas in the pantry. I am getting off subject. "I think all four were worth the three silver fee each."

Darla smiled "You summed up my thoughts pretty well. Three shapers and a shifter. Good solid workforce. Put a few males for heavy lifting and you got a good work crew. I have been thinking you might want to teach them Elemental magic. A lot of combat ready spells in that type of magic. It could lead them to being good backups for Zoe." She sipped some tea waiting.

I thought for a bit then said "I don't consider myself any way a combat mage but I do know the spells. In fact I am not sure what type of mage I am any more. I have read and used so many types of spells it is hard to pin down what I am. At heart I guess I am still a crystal mage but not so pure any more. So with time I guess I could teach any type of magic."
Darla chuckled "That is the way most upper level mages go. Being a single type mage is quite limiting. We all learn what we need to do the job we have at the moment. You will see that you are greater than any label they try to put on you. Well that is done now I will have called the healer to check you over just in case. So lets just drink some of this wonderful tea and wait for Janis." She said it like she was asking but she was telling me what to do. For now since it was her I was ok with it and it was good tea.

Janis arrived a little wile later and quickly pronounced that she was not need here and left. So I went to cross the lake to see the Queen. My day being quite behind. Darla insisted that we use her boat and she drive it. I did not need the kid gloves but I let her get away with it. on the other side I ran into Jenny and one of the female imports. Jenny said she was glad I was awake. The girl was following Jenny like a puppy but tried to hide when she caught sight of me. Jenny said "Don't worry Josie Ember wont hurt you if you behave yourself. See she does not even have her staff with her." I smiled and nodded trying to put her at ease. When I could see it was not working I jus said good luck and headed out.

We got to the Crystal Hall and walked in past a knight and Combat Mage. Well we finally have the troops to guard the hall properly. There was another pair in the throne room itself. I curtsied to the Queen and waited through the questions about my health
and all that. I responded as was needed but just wanted to get to the point. When that point came I said "Your Majesty you wished a memorial set at the sight of the battle. Have you considered the form it would take?" Formal as all get out but look where we were.

Angel smiled "Yes I have. I have several drawings for you to work from. They were made from the memory's of Ben, Byron, And Zoe. We asked Cryss but she did not have any thing to say on the matter." Just then Cryss landed on my shoulder. I reached up and scratched her between the wings. Angels smile took on a slightly comic cast for a second. "I will leave the final design up to you. After all you were there. Was there anything else you need?"

I smiled back as her maid gave me the drawings. "No Your Majesty this will keep me busy for a bit. I will let you know when it is ready." I noted that she had altered her manner of dress to include the sword I gave her. I curtsied and left running into Tara outside the Hall. She too had a import following her this one male. Tara and I chatted for a bit and it was just like with Jenny the guy was very afraid of me still. I did not try to make him feel at ease I just talked to Tara then left. What was this with imports following like puppy's? Oh well as long as they are not causing trouble.

I got to the shoreline thinking of flying back when Ben walked up. "Your awake, that's good." I smiled and noted he wore his new sword. His face turned grim "Trouble coming!" I looked where he was and there was Tina coming this way with the other female import following. I turned and waited.

Tina was not as stressed as when I last seen her. She smiled "How are you feeling we were worried about you?" I smiled back.

I said "I am better. It seems you have a follower? How did that happen?" I was looking at the Import who was trembling slightly. She was still afraid of me that's for sure.

Tina smile turned hard. "The Queen decided that the trouble they were causing was because they did not know us. So they were split up to follow one of us for a few days. I got Sally here. She is not so bad once she is away from the others." I turned to Sally.

I smiled "Nice to meet you." I held out my hand. I was trying my best to be nice. I still remembered the destructive party they held in Crystal Hall. That room was trashed and they were doing things that was quite nasty. She looked at my hand then slowly took it like I might hurt her. I didn't, I was gentle as I shook it once then let go. She tried to smile but it came out a little strained. "Let's go Ben."

"Yes My lady." He said. Was it me or did he stress the My part of what he said? Hmm maybe there might be a chance there. I walked over to my boat and got in. I looked over my shoulder to see if he would follow. He did so we set off I stopped in the center of the lake and turned to Ben.

I said "I don't know hoe to do this so I am just going to come out and say it. I like you and I hope you like me?" I waited to see what he say. It was a long few moments.

He smiled "I like you to. What do you want to do about it?" I had to stop myself from cheering. I thought for a moment.

"A date would be nice. What do you think? Do you think life would leave us alone for one evening?" I said. I was letting my guard down would he see that?

He chuckled "I think the worlds owes us at least that. How about this Saturday? We will meet in the cave behind the waterfall for a picnic. There is a path along the shore from both sides. Say about one pm?" That is the most he had said at one time. I loved it.

I smiled "That sounds good for a first date. I will make a good basket of food for us. Is there anything you don't like?" He shook his head. I went on. "I don't think we should tell the others about this! At least for now that is." That made him smile bigger.

Of course life stepped in at that point. I felt my wards go off big time. I shoved the boat to the shore we just left. Ben looked startled at my suddenly turning the boat back. I said "The wards are going off! Some thing is happening at the mirror!" We passed some knights drilling Ben ordered them to follow. We got to near the mirror room. We could see the guards were defending the entrance. I could feel a portal was active inside the room. I cast a close spell but it did not work. Dang it another battle now! The Combat mages came running up ready for battle. I activated a trap that I set when I made the mirror. A hammer hit the mirror shattering it closing the portal. It hurt and I was stunned by blowback. That only left the ones in the room. Ten had got through and were being careful. With the mirror gone they will have to come out sometime. I let Ben take care of this part I was still a little stunned. I made that mirror so the blowback was hard to take. Ben looked at me "The mirror?"

"Gone, I triggered a trap that broke it." I said sadly. "There are ten in there but they are dealing with the traps other part. A sonic scream. It will be safe to enter in a few moments." I shook my head. The leader of the Combat Mages looked at me. I waited a moment then searched the room with my mind again. I nodded "All but two are out of action. The other two are mages."

Lilli The combat mage smiled a grim smile "Then we go in hard!" They did and the two mages went down fast. The knights disarmed the intruders and found a side cave to keep them. I used a spell to close the entrance with stone bars. The enemy mages were spelled into sleep to keep them out of trouble. Looking over the enemy they looked like mercenary raiders. This was not turning out to be a good day. I checked the trap and found it could be reset. I did that had the crystal cleaned up and formed a new mirror in the same place. with a different address. Dang it this means I need to retune rings again. My head hurts. I called Lilli over.

She looked grim "You wished something?

I sighed "How many of your mages can set and read Wards?

She thought for a moment "I can and maybe two others. We had not got to that part of our training yet."

I sighed again " I will teach any of the Combat Mages that want to learn. It is the wards that I set here that let me know of the problem. There is a alarm spell that is similar that also should be learned."

She looked at the mirror room "Yes I think you are right. I will have everyone who is not on duty here in the morning. These spells will help us be of more help. Our teacher taught offence not defense. I never even though there might be wards here. These bad guys looked like raiders and where there is one there will be more!" I nodded.

After the cleanup was done I went to the Crystal Hall to report to the Queen. Angel was tense "What is going on out there? You look grim. Tell me!" I curtsied slowly.

"We had trouble with raiders coming through the mirror. It was stopped and ten raiders were taken prisoner. Two of the were mages. The mirror had to be smashed again. I cleaned up the crystal and set a trap for when this happens again. Then I created a new mirror with a new address. Yes that does mean that I need to retune your ring again. We locked up the raiders and put the mages on ice for now. All is left is for Your Majesty to decide what to do with them." I was very tired now that everything was over.

Angel sighed "I will need to think this over. Any steps yet to be taken?" I shook my head. "Then I will think on this for a while. Was anyone hurt in this attack?"

I said "No, not on our side thank the Goddess! Their side took minor damage. Our fighting force is very good at their jobs. We are working on how to work together effectively. Nothing too big just settling in things. I'll take care of that in the morning. That is the end of my report. Is there anything else Your Majesty?" She shook her head. I curtsied then left.

I ran into Darla outside. She looked at me. "Ok spill what happened that has your panties in a twist?" I quickly filled her in. "I was afraid of that. There have always been raiders that pray on the weak. We seem to be weak by rumor. So the dregs will be crawling out of their holes to have a go at us. I am not sure what we can do about it?"

I said "All we can do for now is ride it out and prepare the best we can. You are better at mind tap spells so why don't you see what the enemy mages have in their heads? I am going home to get some rest. I have to teach in the morning." I nodded to her then walked to the boat. I was thinking of what to do when I got to the other side. It was going to be a busy few days. I am leaving Saturday open though! I giggled to myself. I have a date with Ben!

In the morning I was standing before seven Combat Mages teaching them all about Wards and Alarm spells. The class went on for two hours. I was a bit spent after that but I had things to do. I went to the crystal storage room. I was looking for matched crystals to make a alarm link system. I found one with seven pieces. Having them matching will make it easier for the link to take. I cast the enchantment while they were all together. I then placed one by the mirror room. Then I placed one in the throne room. Then one in the Combat mages quarters. Then one in the knights Quarters. One in Bens home. One in my home. the last one I put by the back door. As I installed them I taught the people at each location to work the link. When one went off all of them go off. It was a strong link so it should not fail. That was phase one of my plan. Phase two was to make me a new staff. One that was on par with Bens and the Queens swords. I decided to make it out of my favorite gem Sapphire. I went back to the storage room and checked there was only fifteen in stock so I added silver to fill it out to the size I like. Five foot five and as big around as a quarter with a crystal dragon headpiece. Stretching out the gems in the silver and making the headpiece took time I decided to do the enchantments in the morning when I was fresher. That's it for today rest and checking on my mages is what's left.

In the morning I was ready to lay enchantments. These were different than the ones I did for the swords. This staff was not to be used as a weapon but a enhancer for my magic. It also included a link to the alarm crystals. There was thirty five total enchantments and thirty Harmony overlays. This took a good deal of the day. I felt very calm when I was finished. I looked over the finished staff and knew it would stand up to any staff around.

I ate dinner then took a walk along the shoreline. I guess I was looking for the path behind the waterfall. It took a bit but I found it. I smiled to myself. Tomorrow I will be back there with Ben on my first Date! How time gets going when you are doing a lot. Just then the bracelet jingled. It was the Queen. "Good evening Your Majesty, what is it I can do for you?"

"My Mother is sending a few more people to us in the morning. I need you to meet them again." The Queen said.

I sighed. With the address change it may be hard for them to get through. I can open a portal to them if the bar on the other side is down."

The Queen said "Talk to her yourself I am all talked out."

Then the Voice of Queen Aslina came through the link. "Lady Ember are you saying that the address to your mirror has changed again? How am I to send more people to you? We had a agreement."

I sighed "Drop your bar agenced my ring and I will open a portal to you. It is the safest way. We have been having raider problems. I will not come there just open the portal."

"Alright it will be done by ten in the morning." Queen Aslina agreed. "You are quite the leader of your people." She added.

I said "Queen Angel is the leader of Sanctuary I am just her mage! I will be waiting in the morning." I was losing some of the cool that making my staff gave me.

Queen Angels voice came back over the link. "You have done well my mage. I know you are working hard for me is there anything I can do for you?"

I said Make sure I am done by eleven." I could not resist "I have a date." There was a squeal over the link. I was grinning.

Angel said "Tell me everything! I can't believe you finally got a date! Who's it with. No let me guess? It has to be with Ben! I'm right aren't I. You are going on a date oh how fun. Wait a moment this is your first is it not? Wow, and with such a cute guy. Come on tell me?" I was walking back to my home as we were speaking. When I got there I decided something.

I said. "Angel I don't want to jinx it so all I'll tell you right now is that yes it is with Ben and it is at one tomorrow. Now I got to get some sleep so goodnight." I was using my that's it voice so she knew I meant it.

Angel said "Aw you will tell me all about it after you get back right?" said yep "Alright then goodnight you lucky girl you!" Then she closed the link. I had some tea and read for a bit then went to bed early.

In the morning I was waiting in the mirror room. At ten o'clock I opened the portal to Crystalis. It worked and it opened. A woman dressed as a maid stepped through and handed me some papers. I looked them over. They were hire forms for artisans and entertainers. There was twenty of them. I looked up as they started to cross over. Well this is more than I thought would come at one time. Once they were all over the maid sighed and handed me one more paper, it was hers. I shut down the portal. I spoke up "Everyone please come with me. We have a lot to do." I did a scan for magic as I looked them over. There was none of note. As I strode to the Crystal Hall I picked up a half dozen guards. When we got there I told them to stay there and went inside with the maid. When we got to the Throne room I curtsied to the Queen with a grim look on my face.

Angel looked at me. "All right what has my Mother done now?" I handed her the papers. Her face fell "All of these at once? Well I will put lady Tara and lady Jenny on it. What of this one?" she said looking at the maid.

I spoke "Another maid I thought you could find something to do. I have two maids already." Angel nodded and clapped her hands. a maid came out "Take the new maid and see to her." When Tammy was gone. Angel looked at me "Where are they?"

I said "I left them under guard just outside the Hall. I scanned for magic but nothing of note. I put a bar spell on the mirror before I left." Jenny and Tara came in with their puppy's following. "There is artisan quarters along the wall for shelter. Someone possibly many someone's are going to have to make a food run. With this many mouths to feed we are going to run low fast. The market at Crossroads should do fine. I have been there it is quite large for the size of the town. Ask Darla to set up a mirror and we will set a time for the trip after today. I am done for now. Please don't call on me for the rest of the day!" I curtsied to the Queen and nodded to Jenny and Tara. Then I left. I grew my wings and flew home to cook for my date.

At a little before one I was strolling down the trail in my best dress with a basket full of food for my first date. I was happy. I got to the mid point right behind the waterfall when I ran into Jessie and her puppy. She was waiting there for me with a note. The note was from Ben. I frowned I was quite put out. The note said,

Dear Ember,

I am sorry but I can't date you right now. I just can't get over your other side. I am trying to get over it but it is just too hard right now. Please don't hate me for this.

Ben

I frowned harder and sighed. With a flick of magic I was back in my work clothes. I gripped my staff so hard my hand turned white. I was quite upset. I turned and returned to my home. I put the food away and walked out. I grew my wings and flew to the Crystal Hall. I needed to get away for a bit. A shopping trip would be good. I had my bags of holding with me so I could carry a lot. I had the coins left from hiring the staff for money. Yes shopping was good. I strode into the Throne room trying to keep it together. Angel looked up startled "What are you doing here? This is the time for your date is it not?" I handed her the note. I was trying not to cry. "You want me to do something about this? I will if you want!"

I Sighed "I just need to get away for a bit. To let myself calm down. A shopping trip will do the trick. We need food for the new people so I will go food shopping. In Whitewater it has public mirrors."

Angel shook her head "Your not going alone. Not in the shape your in. I will send one of the knights along." I shook my head.

I said "I don't think that would be wise I might fry them. I am not a fan of men right now. If you want me to take someone I'll take Zoe. She's a Combat Mage." I really wanted to go alone but I could see Angel's point.

Angel said "Two Combat Mages and a maid. This is a royal command for your own sake." Dang it she is not playing fair. "Do you want to take one of your maids or one of mine?" I shrugged and she clapped her hands. Out came a maid to see what the Queen wanted. This time it was Eva. "You are to accompany lady Ember on a shopping trip get your cloak and see to it someone takes your place." Just then Zoe came in with Lilli. The Queen looked at them "You two are just in time I would like you to escort lady Ember on a shopping trip." Both curtsied knowing a command when they hear one. I curtsied to the Queen as Eva came out. I turned to leave. The Queen said. "No frying men just because you are upset. No looking for trouble either! Please keep it calm and do what's needed." I nodded and left.

I strode to the mirror room I met Darla about half way there. I asked "Can I borrow a few bags of holding for my shopping trip." She pulled out four. "Thank you I will be back late or maybe tomorrow."

Darla said "I know that tone someone has you hurting! Go on tell me." I handed her the note. "I need to think on this for a bit. You go on your trip. Leave this up to me." She had that look in her eyes. She was really mad! I would not want to be in Bens shoes right now. I nodded and finished the walk to the mirror.

I looked at my escort "Have any of you been to Whitewater before?" Eva raised her hand. No one else did. I looked at Eva "Do you know where the good markets are? How about lodging for the night?" She nodded at both questions. "Then you lead the way and stay out of the bad areas. We are looking for basic food stuffs. Lots of food stuffs. I am in the mood for a lot of buying." She nodded again. "Lets go then." And so our trip started.

I opened the portal and stepped trough with the others right on my heals. Eva moved to the front "It is this way to the market. Fish first if you like?" I nodded "That is this way. The fishermen should be coming in so we should get a good haul." An hour later we had a bag full of fish and other water things. We hit a long term food store and got a bag full there. It was getting a little late for the good markets so we decided to stay the night. Eva led us to a off street inn. It looked pretty good and was quiet. It turned out to be owned by her family. Her Father ran the place her Mother was the cook and her three Sisters looked after the customers. It was a nice homey place. I liked it. The meal we were served was good and filling.. I kept to tea for drink. I was still in a little bit of a bad mood. The youngest daughter played a harp during the meal. She was very good. I got up after she played as she was putting the harp away.

I said "You play very well. With a lot of heart. Take this it is for you." I pressed a gold coin into her hand. Smiled and walked back to the table. Eva came out of the back at that point. With her was a older lady. They came over to the table.

Eva said "Lady Ember I would like to introduce you to my Mother her name is Edith."

I smiled "Your daughter does fine work you should be proud. Today she has been a great help to me. Normally she works for the Queen but today she is helping me."

She frowned a bit "My lady may I ask what Queen you speak of? My Daughter tells me so little. She is the second child all independent and all that." Her smile was warm and loving.

I gave her the sideways smile. "Why Queen Angel of Sanctuary. She is one of the Queens personal maids. It is a great honor and I hear the work is not bad." Eva looked happy and her Mother looked stunned. I went on "Since I was the one to hire her the Queen gave her time to come on this little trip. She has been a great help and I am sure she will be even more so in the morning." I was laying it on a bit thick but it never hurts to be nice to the parents. At that point the door banged open and a young man came storming in. From his clothes he was a minor noble of some kind. He headed straight for Eva.

He practically yelled "So the freak is back! What happened they find you are a boy!" The sneer in his voice grated on my nerves. I looked at Zoe and she stood up and stepped between the two.

I said "I do not know who you are but you are ruing a nice evening. I suggest that you leave now with your mouth shut or something unfortunate will happen." I was getting mad again. He was in trouble!

He had to open his mouth. "Who the heck are you? This is between me and the freak!

Lilli got up "This is Lady Ember Rose Del La Silver Grand Mage of Sanctuary! You will hold your tongue or loose it!" He had the sense to have heard the name and shut up! With a flick of my wrist my Staff was in my hand. I stood and looked the piece of dung over. I looked him in the eye.

I said softly "You just insulted a person I happen to like so you will apologize right now then leave and never darken this place again. Or you can find out what I do to people I don't like! A hint here I am not nice to people I don't like." He stood there looking stubborn. So I Decided to give him a little preview. I reached out with my magic and shifted him into seven year old boy. It was not a painless shift. When he stopped screaming I said you were acting like a child so now you are one. Do as I asked and I may change you back. A man came in looked around. When he seen Eva he came over.

He said "All right where is my son I heard he was heading this way?" Eva pointed at the child.

Eva shrugged "He mouthed off to a Grand Mage.' The man turned the child around and studied his face. Then shook his head.

He said "You were a pain raising you the first time maybe if you had been a girl you would have listened?"

I said "Is that what you want? Do you wish for a little girl? It could happen. Just speak the words." I was taking my bad mood out on the brat but then who know what will happen?"

The man said "You are the Mage that did this to him?" I nodded "Yes I wish he was a little girl! There I have said it." I looked him over. Then flicked my staff at the child. The shift was painless this time. The man looked at his new daughter and sighed then said "Maybe it will be different this time." He looked at me nodded then left with the child.

I sat back down. I looked at Eva "Are you ok?" She nodded "I really think the child will come to except herself in time. Not right away but in time. Maybe even be a better person. There's always a chance." I picked up my tea and sipped.

Eva said "I will see to the sleeping quarters my lady if there is nothing else?" I nodded and off she went. Zoe and Lilli sat back down after looking around once. Eva's Mother went back in the kitchen. I sat for a while thinking about what happened. Did I do right or was I just as big a brat? The man did ask? I had just ran out of tea when Eva was back.

I stated "I am going up. You two can stay down as long as you like. Eva will you show me the way?" When she nodded and stood I dropped a gold coin on the table. We went up to the sleeping rooms. We were quiet on the way up. I knew I had to ask and what I would offer. When we got to my room I asked her to come in. I just had to know. I looked at her.

Eva spoke "Before you ask my lady Yes, I was born mostly male. When I hit puberty I started to grow breast and my shape was like a girls. I still have one male part but it does not work right. So you see I am mostly a woman just with a birth defect." She looked sad.

I sighed "I can change that for you if you want? I have done it before." There I made the offer. Now it is up to her.

She looked hopeful "You did this on a full grown person? You could make me a whole woman? One that can have babies? I have been to healers they say there is nothing they can do."

I decided "Yes I did it a lot before this summer. You see I was born male. Well sort of male. When I was ten I was taught to shift into the girl I wanted to be. The shift is complete I can have babies if I am not careful in girl form. Or get someone pregnant if in guy form. Yes I still have a guy form. I live part time over in another world where I am known as Eric a guy. I wont be him this summer though. There are about a dozen that know about me. It has caused me some problems like the one that sent me on this trip. But we are talking about you now are we not? So do you want to try life as a full woman?"

She smiled a true smile "Yes my lady I will do whatever you wish just for the chance!" She curtsied real deep to me.

I did not say anything just let the magic wind its self around her slowly making the needed changes smoothing the ruff spots and the shift was soon complete. I withdrew my magic slowly so not to harm her. That's when I felt it. Something has awakened within her. Magic she has magic within her. Now she will need to be trained so she don't harm anyone. Well that is quite the step up in the world. I spoke "Well it is done you are a woman through and through. We both need some sleep. We need to be out early to get the best produce. So off to bed with you. Please wake me at dawn. After she left I thought about how to tell her she's a mage. I came up with no answers so I turned over and went to sleep.

In the morning We ate a good breakfast and headed out to get the freshest produce. Eva was leading again. There was a lot more pep in her step. We shopped till noon then headed to the mirrors. We found a mirror that did not have a line and I opened a portal and we were away. Back at Sanctuary we headed to the Crystal Hall. They will pass out the food stuffs fairly. I ran into Darla on the way. She was smiling that cat in the cream smile. I thought I will get into that later for now I have food to deliver. I entered the Crystal Hall's Throne room. I found Angel there practicing with her sword. I smiled at her smooth movements. She must have been doing that a lot since I gave her the blade. I waited for her to notice us. When she did I curtsied and set down the bags of food. "Food shopping complete. and before you ask yes I am calm now. No I did not fry anyone or go looking for trouble. I got all the food we should need for a bit. End of report."

Angel took the Throne and spoke "You did very well. So what are you not telling me? By the look on your face something did."

"Well I did turn a twenty year old brat into a seven year old. Then at the request of his father turned him into a girl. I also while helping Eva with a problem found she has mage potential. So I will be taking her under my wing and teaching her. If your Majesty does not object?"

Angel shook her head "You do get in trouble even if you are not looking for it. As for Eva if she has talent as you say you can have her for training." She shifted her gaze to Eva. "Eva you have served me only a short time but this is a good chance for you to learn from the best. Use it well." She looked back at me "I am sure there is more to your adventures this time but we will leave it for now. I have some news for you. Darla and I have thought of a way to show Ben how wrong he was to not talk to you face to face. We are going to turn him into a girl for one week. It should teach him about the feeling girls have. We will do this as soon as Darla learns how. What do you think?"

I shook my head. "I don't think that will get him over his problem. It will probably just set up resentment that will set the problem in stone. I think I will do just what he asks and give him time. Two week sounds good. If he takes too long I will turn him into a toad maybe. Just kidding I don't know how to do toads. At that point I'll just walk away. It will hurt but it is best for me as far as I see. May I withdraw Your Majesty?"

Angel smiled "You may go as soon as Eva has her possessions. You will be moving her in with you for her training correct?" I nodded. "Good I like to see the ones that work for me move up in the world." She turned to Eva "Well go get your stuff. Don't keep your teacher waiting." Eva dashed off to get her stuff together. Angel turned to Zoe and Lilli and said "Well thank you two anyways I am sure she would have gotten into more trouble if you were not along. You may go now." They curtsied and then turned and left. "Now that the kiddy's have left what really happened?"

I sighed "It was just as I said more or less. The jerk knew Eva and came in insulting her. I did not like what he said so took action. And before you ask Eva was like me before my Grandmother taught me to shift. I fixed her problem at her request. I used a permanent shift on her. She is now all woman. While I was shifting her I found magic awaking within her. It was very strong magic. It wont be bottled up again so she must be taught so she does not hurt anyone or herself. I woke her magic so I should be the one to teach her." Angel and Darla nodded. That's when Eva came back in. We curtsied and left.

To be continued
Please life saving comments welcome.
up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

things are speeding up

Alecia Snowfall's picture

things are speeding up and the surprises (good and bad) just keep coming.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

fun story,

fun story,
Ben really should have told her in person, not cool to tell something like that in a note and delivered by someone else it should have been kept private

Great chapter!

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite currently running stories.

nomad

Glad Ember Figured Out...

...that she's more than just a Crystal Mage. (After all, she healed Angel after her suicide attempt.)

On the other hand, if it's that easy for her to transform other people, I hope she'll improve her self-control. At first I thought the boorish visitor knew Ember's background, but by the time of the transformation it was clear that wasn't the problem. Getting goaded by the father into making it a permanent change ("oh, I think she'll come to accept it") definitely struck me as over the top, though given Ember/Eric's own situation, she may well be unaware that gender identity is a bigger deal for other people than it is for her.

All that said, it seems to me that you may be giving Ember too much power for this story background: if she can dispose of any raiders that arrive by changing them into, say, babies, during the skirmish, the invasion problem would seem to be solved. In the longer run, changing captured raiders into milk animals -- e.g., cows -- might be even better; if Ember can't do animals yet, it probably wouldn't take her much time to learn. Transforming them into food animals was my first thought, but that brings up more questions than I (or she, I think) can answer easily. Turning them into inanimate objects might be easiest on everyone, but in magical stories they have the nasty habit of getting changed back by the next adversarial mage to come along.

OK, last chapter's newbies were doing more damage than I thought, and they're being treated more kindly in the aftermath than Ember was expecting. But she seems to find it surprising that they're still afraid of her. I wouldn't have thought she was that clueless on things like that. (There's actually good reason for everyone except the rest of the Six to be afraid of her.)

On the other side of things, Queen Angel seems to want Ember to treat Queen Aslina of Crystalis as an equal, and Aslina seems more than OK with that. Then again, Aslina's whole elaborate plan -- expelling her daughter and putting her under Ember's charge, then exiling the rest of the Six from Crystalis, in hopes that Ember would take them to Sanctuary, take charge of the place and then accept her castoffs -- seemed designed to make Ember the new ruler there. The combination of Ember preferring to rule indirectly and Angel severing her family ties and becoming the new queen most likely wasn't predictable.

It's a legitimate question as to what Ember would have done differently had she ruled Sanctuary as Grand Mage and head of her clan. Would anyone have been able to calm her down when needed? (Darla, I guess.)

Not Bad

Daphne Xu's picture

I'm getting concerned, that Lady Ember (ie. Eric) has become a Mary Sue. (Q.V.)

Ben proposed a date, and then stood her up, sending it in a note? Not cool. Also, I wondered if the note was genuine.

Right now, I'm not sure whether Ember did the right thing in turning the jerk into a little girl.

-- Daphne Xu