Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2675

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2675
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

I was somewhat wrapped up with my reminiscences so didn’t notice Trish and Hannah wander into my lair. “Mummy, I’ve explained to Hannah that you aren’t a witch.”

“A witch? Why would Hannah think I was a witch?”

“Because her mum said you turned boys into girls and she was confused by it, so we explained that no one can do that unless the boy,” she made quotation marks with her fingers, “is really a girl inside anyway an’ then you’re not doing it just helpin’ them along the way.”

Hannah nodded in agreement.

“You understood that?”

“Yeah, course.”

“Well done, I didn’t, but as long as you did that’s all that matters.”

“What didn’t you understand?” Trish looked mortified.

“I’m only joking, Trish, of course I understood it,” I said crossing my fingers behind my back.

“Hmmm,” she said frowning, “C’mon, Han, let’s do some revision it’s easier than trying to explain things to adults. You know when I asked her why the sky was blue she took half an hour to explain...” she said as they left my study.

“I wasn’t wrong,” I shouted after her.

“So you said,” she called back.

I remembered the occasion—my own fault. She asked me something philosophical and I didn’t think she’d understand the answer so I said, ‘Why don’t you ask me something easy, like why is the sky blue?’ Not being into irony she then asked me why the sky was blue. I suppose it could have taken a while to explain about wavelengths of light being different colours and how Newton demonstrated that with prisms and so on. It got a bit complicated but I finished the explanation and she rolled her eyes and walked off giggling saying, “There’s a much simpler explanation in wiki.” I knew I should have strangled her there and then, the hole would have been smaller as well—she’s grown since then.

I went back to the paperwork I should have been doing when there was a knock at the door. That surprised me, none of the family ever knock. I called to come in and in walked David.

“Have you got a minute, Cathy?”

“If you have, I’m sure I can match it.”

He looked perplexed by my reply, I must start saying plain yes or no. “Sit down, David.” I indicated the sofa by the window and I rose and sat on the opposite one.

“I’ve just come back from Southampton.”

“How is Ingrid?”

“Not very well.”

“Okay, I’ll try and get there again tomorrow.”

“I don’t think she wants you to visit her.”

That surprised me.

“And she wants me to look after Hannah.”

“I see.” That didn’t entirely surprise me but it wasn’t expected just yet. “Does Hannah get a say in this?”

“She’ll do what her mother wants her to do, she’s a good kid.”

“Why don’t we ask her? Then we’ll need to ask social services.”

“What for if her mother has expressed a preference.”

“Because the law requires it. We’re not talking one night are we? It could be weeks.”

“Okay I’ll speak with social services.”

“Why is she withdrawing her from me?”

He blushed, it was obviously personal.

“She—uh, thinks you’re a bad influence.”

I snorted.

“What’s so funny?”

“Ingrid is—she is totally dysfunctional as a parent but can still criticise me.”

“I thought she was quite a good mother.”

“While you were around, she had to be. When she went off she lapsed into bad habits again.” I paused, “Such as drink and prostitution.”

“You’re lying,” he said jumping up.

“So sue me.”

Livvie popped her head in, “Can I borrow your dictionary of science, Mummy?”

“May I, you mean?”

“Yeah, may I?”

“You may,” she went over and picked it from the shelf. “Return it when you’ve finished, won’t you?”

“Course.”

“Could you ask Hannah to pop in and could you ask Jacquie to make us a couple of teas?”

“Yeah.” She went out carrying the large volume with her.

Hannah arrived two minutes later. “You wanted me, Auntie Cathy? Hi, David.”

“Come in and sit down.” She did so but with a suspicion that she wasn’t going to like what was said next. She’d have been dead right. “David has been to see your mother tonight.”

“Yeah, so?”

“She’d like you to stay with David until she’s recovered.”

“What? Why can’t I stay with you an’ the girls?”

“Your mother thinks I’m a bad influence on you.”

“Wassat mean?”

“I presume it means because she didn’t go to university, she doesn’t think you should either.”

“Tell her to go to hell, I’m staying with you, Auntie Cathy.”

“I’m afraid she’s asked me to stay away from her.”

“Why? She’s only gettin’ better ’cos you helped her.”

I shrugged.

“You made her say this, didn’t you?” she stood in front of David who made to hug her. “Keep your hands off me,” she shouted and ran off nearly careering into Jacquie who had a tray of tea in her hands.

“What’s the matter with Hannah?” asked Jacquie.

“We’ll talk later.” I effectively closed down that area of investigation. Jacquie left and I sat and faced David. “You want to be mother?” I asked indicating the teapot.

“Very funny—not,” he snapped.

I wanted to say that I didn’t mean it like that but he wouldn’t have believed me. I leant over and poured us two teas handing him one of them.

“You’re not going to let her come, are you?”

“Only because she said she wanted to stay with me.”

“You’d take a ten year old’s word over her mother’s?”

“When I know them both, yes. Hannah is a lovely kid but she needs to be nurtured and developed.”

“Ingrid said you were making her posh so she’d not want to go back to her.”

“That is total bilge and you know it, David. You of all people should know that I try to help children in my care.”

“You want to keep her, don’t you?”

“It isn’t a question of what you or I or Ingrid want, it’s what is best for the child and what she wants.”

“Well I think being with me is best and it’s what her mother wants.”

“She’s using you David.”

“And you’re not?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Look let Hannah stay where she is for the weekend and we can both speak with social services on Monday and see what their advice would be.”

“So you can have a couple more days to indoctrinate Hannah.”

“David, this is my home not some Alpha course.”

“Yeah, sorry.”

“Let it go for now and we’ll talk on Monday.”

“Okay, but I’m not going to change my mind.”

“That’s your prerogative. Why not take the weekend off but please keep away from Hanah until we settle this once and for all.”

“What? You’re banning me from seeing her?”

“No, I’m asking that you respect our agreement until Monday.”

“Like I have a choice?”

“Yes, you can respect it and me or not and I’d have to insist upon it.”

“You mean call in your posh lawyers.”

“You’re even beginning to sound like Ingrid.” That was the tipping point. He stood up and stormed off slamming the door as he went. He was upset but he was dead right and I would call Jason first thing tomorrow.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
269 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmmm...

I wonder if a certain Demon named Lilith could be behind this. It has been a while.

One thing Ang, you keep me guessing.

why so

Dahlia's picture

What is it about human nature that when we have it best and a great job we somehow let our pride and arrogance destroy what matters most to us. David is working very hard towards this. So sad! I hope he pulls his head out soon before it is too late.

This story never ceases to amaze me in its twists of plot. Thanks so very much.

Dahlia

Bike 2675

rlarueh007's picture

Looks like Hannah has tasted the other side of her Education and doesn't want to lose it, and I don't blame her I wish I had Kathy when I was her age I would of felt the same! Richard

This is a suprise !

David of all people should have a better opinion of Catherin than what he just expressed. I just hope this is not him expressing a crab in the bucket tendency of not allowing someone to reach for a better life because of some misinformed idea that being better educated is a abandonment of some family values. I am not pretending I understand the class system in England heck I have enough problem keeping track of our silly transparent nincompoops here. But if anything Catherin has been 100% in Davids corner from the start, I think he would do best to speak to Hanna before he carries the torch for their lost relationship so far as to burn his own situation to cinders.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Happens in a lot of subgroups

At the risk of sounding racist but it is pretty true of quite a bit of African American culture in inner cities. God forbid you are perceived as being an 'Oreo'. Being an Asian I am at risk of being painted as being a 'Banana'. So the culture acts to tamp you down and keep you 'in your place.' How dare you become better than those around you.

A lot of subgroups find that they bring along their own problems and are of their own making but go ahead and blame others for being 'the Man' and keeping them down.

David seems to be forgetting

Teresa L.'s picture

that Ingrid left HIM and broke his heart. now she is using this as a lever i bet, telling him she wants to get back together, etc. seen it far to many times before.

Teresa L.

Teresa L.

Strange twist

First Ingrid then David - I don't quite get it. Cathy has shown again and again how caring a mom she is. Unlikely that social services would support placing Hannah with a single man over a home with kids her age but then again, social services hasn't often been kind to Cathy. What will the near future bring?

Why does Cathy...

Why does Cathy seem to take so many things the wrong way and/or push people away from her that have been her friends for a long time... First Andy Bond, now David... Yes, they have a disagreement... But, *sighs* Guess it makes for more action in the story.

Thanks,
Annette

I've tidied up

Angharad's picture

some of the dialogue, it wasn't always clear who was speaking - sorry, running repairs.

Angharad

I think it was pretty clear

I think it was pretty clear from context who said what.

Of all the hurts -

there are few so penetrative as ingratitude.

bev_1.jpg

Things have

certainly taken a turn for the worse in Cathy and David's relationship,What would once have been a warm and friendly chat between employer and employee was anything but , In the short term there seems to be little common ground between the two, If after a nights sleep Cathy decides to try to build bridges the first thing she should do is not call Jason , Its doubtful if her lawyer becomes involved then there will be little chance of a peaceful agreement , Whilst its more than likely that given her financial muscle Cathy would win any legal battle , She needs to ask herself is that what she and more importantly Hannah really needs...

Kirri

Oh Dear

I don't know. I go away for a few days and look what happens. The calm, tranquil and placid world that is Cathyland is all up in arms. Anyone would think this was a regular occurrence, whatever next, the Russian mafia or ancient goddesses

Seriously, I hope Cathy can resolve this calmly and without rancour. Plus a rapprochement with Andy Bond would be a bonus as well.

Great writing as always Angharad.

Love to all

Anne G.