Badasses Of the Multiverse: Book 5: Volume 1: Chapter 03

Printer-friendly version

Badasses Of the Multiverse Book 5: “The Gambling Man.”

Volume 1: “De La Plata Podrido.”

Chapter 03: “City of the Savvy.”

By Paul Cousins.

Copyright Disclaimer: All copyrighted places, characters, items, and events, within the story, are held by their current owners. No profit is being made on this work of fiction.

(_)

De La Plata Podrido, Mexico. Inside, Lee suite, in the Devil's Hotel.

It was the morning after car chase in the GTO, and Lee felt relaxed, and more alive, than he had felt in his life.

After Lee got up from his bed, around seven thirty AM in the morning, he stood up and stretched, as he thought, 'I guess it is true what they say. That a life of adventure and excitement does make one feel more alive. Not that I plan to repeat last night's escapades.'

'Still, I am glad that Melvin called in a favor, and he had one of his cooks, fix for me meal, when we got back to the hotel restaurant.'

'That meal, and a few beers, were good. And he got a good laugh at what I told him. I will have to tell Sam what happened to me last night, when I see him later today.'

Among other things, Lee then got cleaned up, shaved, showered, dried off, and dressed.

After Lee put on his baseball cap, glasses, and jacket, he looked down at himself, as he thought, 'Barring, Rock, Revy, and their crew showing up in mass. These last few weeks have been good to me, in other ways. Such as my winnings at poker.'

'Now, that I have some cash. I plan to buy some nicer clothing, in a few days. Given my situation, I might need some nicer clothing than just causal wear. Still, I could use some breakfast at the Last Resort. I may have gotten on Revy and others good sides, but I am still not taking any chances with them.'

Lee then looked up, as he turned, and left the hotel room, for the hallway, to the elevator bay.

A few minutes later, as Lee walked through the front lobby, towards the front doors, he noticed Revy, Akira, and Violin approach him. Revy was wearing her usual clothing, with Akira and Violin wearing pants, shirts, and shoes, which looked nice on them.

Lee stopped and turned to face them, as he thought, 'I would guess that Revy decided to tell the others about last night's car chase. Well, on the bright side, her doing so does offer two advantages for me. It increases my street cred with them. With me now having a little street cred with them. And after last night's stunts, they are less likely to believe I am the writer.'

As the three women came to a stop in front of Lee, Lee greeted, “Good morning, ladies.”

Violin said, “Good morning, Lee.”

Lee thought, 'I am so glad that Violin retained John's southern manners.'

Akira mentioned, “Revy tells me that you drove one hell of a car chase last night.”

Lee casually replied, “You do what you got to do.”

Akira said, “True. From what Revy said, the chase sounded incredible. I didn't know you could do that.”

Lee honestly admitted, “Neither did I, until I did it.”

Revy inquired, “Really?”

Lee turned to Revy, as he answered, “Yes. I usually try to avoid car chases.”

Violin joked, “That is a wise thing to do, Lee. Still, it sounds like you rode that car hard, and put it away wet.”

Revy looked confused, Akira noticed Revy's expression. Akira explained, “It is a horse term.”

Revy looked over at Akira, then back to Lee. She stated, “Anyway Lee, I was too drunk to say this last night, but you did a good job driving last night.”

Lee commented, “You gave me an eight. I take that as a compliment. Thank you.”

Revy smiled, as she replied, “You're welcome.”

Akira said, “Still, that must have been a fun chase for you, Lee.”

Lee replied, “It depends on how you define fun. Lives were on the line. And I was more concerned with that, then having fun.”

Violin agreed, “That is the right approach to take in such a situation.”

Lee turned to Revy, as he asked, “By the way. Is that car okay? I did go a little rough with it last night.”

Revy answered, “I think so. But, Rock wants it checked out by a professional.”

Lee commented, “I hope you don't expect me to pay for repairs.”

Revy replied, “Nah. After the fun from last night, I will let this one slide.”

Lee said, “Thanks.”

Just then, Lee noticed two mexican men, in nice business suits walk into the hotel lobby, from the front entrance. Also, through the windows, Lee noticed a black, four door car parked right outside the front doors to the hotel. Lee then saw them look around, and they focused on him.

Lee thought, 'Oh no. This can only mean trouble.'

The two man in businesses suits, walked up to Lee, Revy, Akira, and Violin. One of the men asked, in english, with a spanish accented, “Are you the one known as, Lee?”

Lee thought, 'I cannot lie with Revy, Akira, and Violin, beside me.' He said, “Yes?”

The man stated, “We would like you to come with us. Our employer would like to meet you, over the matter of you attacking one of our friends.”

Lee did not show it on the outside, but on the inside he was worried, as he mentally realized, in thought, 'Oh crap. These guys are part of a mexican mafia. And so was the guy I hit last night. This is very bad.'

Revy asked, “What is going on here?”

Lee continued to look at the two men, as he answered, “This is about that guy I hit last night. Considering these men are here because of him, I am guessing they are part of the same... Organization.”

Revy thought, 'Meaning the local mafia.'

The other women around Lee also realized the subtext of Lee's comment.

Lee noticed both the three women and two men around him tensed up.

Lee thought, 'Crap. If I don't defuse the situation, this is going to go straight to hell for everyone.' He said, “I will come with you.” He then turned to the women, as he continued, “If I don't return by this evening. Then, I am dead. Tell Sam he can have the stuff in my room, and to have a nice life.”

Next, Lee turned and walked with the two men, until they were outside.

The three women then watched as Lee, and the other two men got into the black car outside, and drove away.

Violin said, “Whoa. Not many people would go to their deaths so calmly.”

Akira commented, “As far as he knows, he didn't have a choice. If he fought, they would have pulled their guns, and killed him, along with us.”

Revy pointed out, “But, we can defend ourselves. Lee knows that. He was there went my children tore through the Rats Nest.”

Akira explained, “Yes. I know. Still, there is something you may not realize, Revy. When I was in college in Atlanta, I talking to some people that had run-ins with the mexican mafia. If their counterparts here are any thing like in my reality, and yours, then they are very dangerous. Lee likely knew there would be further reprisals, if he resisted.”

Violin asked, “Do you want to rescue him, Revy?”

Revy answered, “No. After last night, I think Lee could probably get himself out of this trouble. And I have no desire to draw the attention of the local mafias.”

Violin conceded, “I see your point.”

Akira admitted, “As do I.”

Revy then said, “Okay. Let's go get some breakfast at the buffet table.”

Akira replied, “Sounds good to me.”

Violin commented, “I could use some scrambled eggs.”

The three women they headed for the hotel restaurant.

(_)

In the hotel restaurant that morning, Rock was already seated at a table, eating her the plate she made from the buffet table.

Rock was wearing her usual clothing. a white blouse, and light brown skirt.

She was almost through with both her plate, and her glass of milk, when she saw Melvin walk into the restaurant.

Rock mentally wondered, 'What is he doing here so early? Melvin doesn't usually come in until around ten thirty.'

She then watched at Melvin paid for his meal, walked over to the buffet. He then prepared a plate and drink for himself.

Rock thought, 'Oh, he is getting some breakfast for himself. Still, this is a perfect opportunity to talk to him about the GTO.'

A minute later, Rock watched as Melvin sat down at the bar counter, with him setting his plate and drink in front of him, on the counter. He then began to eat his breakfast.

Rock got up, and walked over to the bar counter. She then sat beside Melvin, to Melvin's right side. She said, “Good morning, Melvin.”

Melvin took a drink from his orange juice, to wash down his food. He then turned to Rock. He greeted her, “Good morning, Rock.”

Rock commented, “You are here earlier than normal, this morning.”

Melvin replied, “Yes. I got up earlier than usual this morning, and I didn't feel like doing my morning exercises. So, I came down here for some breakfast.”

Rock admitted, “I have had those days. I have a question for you.”

Melvin thought, 'I hope it is not something serious. From what Lee told me last night, they had one hell of a ride.' He said, “Sure. What do you need?”

Rock stated, “I need an auto mechanic to look at my car.”

Melvin replied, “I heard about that chase.”

Rock commented, “Word travels fast.” She thought, 'I wonder if Lee told him. That is very likely. Not that I will hold doing so against each of them.'

Melvin agreed, “Yes. It does. Though, this is a moderately large, populated city, it still has that small town mentality, where everyone knows everyone else. Or, they knew friend of someone else. Anyway, I do I know a good mechanic that will check your car out, for a decent price. He is a good friend, of mine. He will accept U.S., or Mexican currency.”

Rock replied, “That is good. What can you tell me about this man?”

Melvin held in a smirk, as he thought, 'Oh Rock. It would be so tempting tell you what I really know about my friend. But, I respect the privacy of my friends, and I will just vaguely warn you about him.'

Melvin said, “The man you want to speak to is named, Hernan Pena. He knows english, though he native language is spanish. He is a really great guy. And he has a nice family.” Melvin then looked Rock directly into her eyes, he firmly warned, “And I will say this only once. Do not. I repeat, do not threaten Hernan, nor his family. Do you understand?”

Rock saw the seriousness in Melvin's eyes. She thought, 'This guy is nice, but can be dangerous. That should not be a problem. I have dealt with worse.' She nodded once, as she replied, “Yes. I understand.”

Melvin responded, “Good. Now, here is how to get to Hernan's auto-shop, from here.” Melvin then gave Rock directions to Hernan's place of business. When Melvin finished with the directions, he said, “And, since this is a weekday, he should be open by now.”

Rock said, “I will looked into seeing him, after breakfast.”

Melvin replied, “Good luck. Though, it should not be a problem. As I said, Hernan is a great guy. As long as he, nor his family, are not threatened.... Though, if you are going to take Revy with you. I highly suggest you convince her to be polite, and go unarmed.”

Rock stated, “Oh, I will.”

Rock then noticed, Revy, Akira, and Violin walk into the restaurant, and they headed to the cashier, to pay for their breakfasts.

Rock said to Melvin, “Talk to you later.”

Melvin replied, “Have a good day, Rock.

Rock then walked over to where Revy, Akira, and Violin, whom were standing by the cashier.

They turned to looked at Rock.

Akira said, “Hi Rock.”

Violin stated, “Good to see you, Rock.”

Revy smirked, “Hi lover.”

Rock replied, “Hi girls.” She turned to Revy, as she stated, “I got some good news. Melvin told me about a good mechanic in town, whom he knew, that can check out the car.”

Revy casually said, “That sounds great.”

Rock stated, “We can head over their today, after breakfast.”

Revy shrugged, as she commented, “There is no rush. I got some plans for today, and tomorrow, for us. And I am not talking about just looking for the writer.” She then lean over and whispered into Rock's right ear.

Rock immediately blushed.

Revy leaned back straight, as Rock said, “Okay. The mechanic can wait. Still, while you are eating, I will give the details on this mechanic.”

Revy replied, “Sure.”

Rock then gave her long time lover the details over what she found out, from Melvin, along with Melvin's warning about not threatening the mechanic, nor his family.

(_)

Elsewhere on the island of De La Plata Podrido, Lee was inside the black car, as they road down a two lane road, along the beach, on of the more deserted section island, in the sunny day.

As Lee road in the car, he was in the back seat of the black, four door car, behind an empty passenger seat, on the right side of the car, with one of the men beside him, and the other man driving, in the left driver's side seat.

Lee calmly stated, “I want you to know. I have not interest in resisting you.”

The man beside Lee, to his left side, replied, in english, “Good. That means we won't have to hurt you until after the boss has his answers.”

Lee said, “I will answer his questions to the best of my abilities.”

The man driving commented, in english, “If you do so, you will likely have a quick death.”

Lee asked, “Were either of you in the cars chasing us last night?”

The man beside him stated, “No.”

Lee inquired, “Would it help my case if I mention that the man I hit, was drunk, and I tried to talk my way out of the situation. And I only hit after he pulled a gun on me.”

The man beside him admitted, “That might help you.”

The driver mentioned, “That sounds like something our friend would do. You might get out of this with say, a broken arm.”

Lee commented, “Then, my day is improving. Will I be meeting the person I hit last night?”

The man beside him answered, “No. The boss does not want violence, unless it is necessary. That is why you are still breathing. And from what we understand, our friend decided to let the boss handle you. And he left it at that.”

Lee just nodded, as he said, “Okay. That is one thing I don't have to worry about.”

The other two men just chuckled, at Lee's comment.

Lee looked outside the windows, as they drover down the road. They had stayed on the island, but they are nowhere near any of the locations that Lee knew about. Actually, they were heading towards a remote location of the island.

A minute later, Lee saw them drive up to an area, by the beach, which was walled-in, from the street, and sides, by a ten foot high concrete fence. Though, Lee saw the fence ended at the beach line.

When they came up to the steel metal gates to the driveway into the area, their car came to a stop.

Lee noticed the driver pulled out a remote, and press it. The gates suddenly opened, inwardly, and they drove into the area. With the gates closing behind them, a few seconds later.

As they passed the gates, Lee saw they were coming towards a large, one story, beach house.

The driver soon stopped the car beside the home.

Lee saw men with sub-machine guns near standing near the car.

The man beside him said, “Don't worry. Nothing is going to happen to you, until after you meet our employer. Now, please get out.”

Lee slowly opened the door. And stepped out.

The man that was beside him in the car, walked around the car, and face him. He said, “I am going to have to pad you down.”

Lee held up his arms, as he stated, “Go ahead. I am not armed.”

The man then swiftly padded Lee down. When he was done, he looked at the guards, and waved them off. He then looked over towards Lee, as he stated, “This way.” He turned, and began walking towards the home.

Lee followed the man in inside, as the driver stayed by the car.

After Lee was escorted through a few rooms and hallways, he found himself inside a large office.

The back end of the office, where Lee entered, was empty, except for some potted plants.

The walls and ceiling were gray, and the floor was black, office carpet.

On the far end of the room, was a large, black wooden desk. With a laptop computer on it.

To the left and right sides of the desk were shelves of DVDs, Blu-Rays, CD cases, and books.

Behind the desk, were large windows, that looked out into the beach, and ocean. Between the desk and the windows, was a large, black swivel chair, which was turned around to face the beach. There no chairs in the room, besides the swivel chair.

Lee guess, 'I would say their employer is sitting behind the chair. And I am about to meet a mob boss for the first time. I have to play this right, or it would be debatable which group would do worse to me. The girls, or this group.'

Lee then followed the man to the other side of the office, to where they were standing in front of the desk.

The man then walked to Lee's right, as he went around the desk, and spoke to the unseen man.

The man said, in english, “Lee is here, for you to talk, too. He gave us no trouble in bringing him here. And he stated he is willing to cooperate fully with our inquires.”

Lee thought, 'He is likely speaking in english for my benefit. I guess I may a good impression with him.'

The sitting man stated, in english, “Good. You may leave.”

The man then turned, and left the room. He shut the door behind him.

The man sitting behind the desk coldly stated, “Mister Lee, you have done something wrong last night. Do you know what that is?”

Lee calmly said, “I am willing to explain my actions. But, to whom I addressing?”

The man laughed, for a few seconds. Not menacing laugh, but a regular, sane laugh.

The mans swiveled his chair around, for Lee to see him.

Sitting in the chair, Lee saw a black haired mexican man, in his early forties, in good physical shape. The man wore a nice gray business suit.

The man calmly stated, “I am Paciano Del Soto. And I control this city. And before I kill you, I want to know why you hurt one of my men last night?”

Lee responded, “Mister Del Soto, I was saving his life. And the lives of his friends, that were there. Did you hear about the massacre at the Rats Nest a few nights ago?”

Paciano answered, “Yes.”

Lee explained, “Those were the same women that did that. And if I had not done what I did, you man would be dead, right now. Instead, he just has some mild bruises, but he will be fine. And no one was hurt in that chase. If I had taken those women to the hotel, where they are staying. Instead of given your men that chase, they would have been killed when they got there. Because those women also have friends, and a lot of firepower.”

Lee could clearly see from the look on Paciano's face, that he was thinking over what Lee had stated.

Paciano stated, “You are making some good points. I may not kill you. If you are correct. I may even let you go, unharmed.”

Lee remained calm on the outside, as he happily thought, 'Excellent.'

Paciano pulled out his cellphone, from an interior coat pocket. He dialed a number. He then spoke to someone on the other end in spanish.

Lee remained silent, and still, as the conversation took place.

A minute later, he hung up.

Paciano put his cellphone back into the same interior coat pocket that it had been in. He then turned to look at Lee.

Paciano stated, “I just called the Rats Nest bartender, at her home. She just confirmed what you said. You did save the life of my men. I appreciate that. But, before I let you go. I have two questions. First, why were you there with those women in the first place?”

Lee thought, 'I am glad the bartender is alive. And given she answered Mister Del Soto's questions, I am guessing she is alright. If she wasn't, she would not be so forthcoming.'

'Though, why would he have the home number to the bartender? Unless... She slept with him. I will say the man is not that bad looking, and he is in good shape. So, I can understand why she did it. Still, I need to answer his questions.'

Lee said, “They heard I was a regular at the Rats Nest, and I was staying at the hotel they were. And well... It is best to humor the crazies.”

Paciano nodded once, as he agreed, “That is true. My other question is, who are these women? They are clearly dangerous, and they are in my town.”

Lee thought, 'This is bad. How the hell do I explain the situation to him, without sounding like a lunatic? Even worse, if he believes me, what is to stop him from turning me over to them, to placate them. I have to be very careful in how I answer this question.'

Lee then noticed the set of english translated manga volumes, beside some anime blue-rays boxes, on the bookshelf to the his right of the desk.

The titles for manga and anime were, Black Lagoon.

Lee thought, 'You have got to be kidding me. Okay. I can make this work for me. If I do this right, I should be fine.'

Lee commented, “So, you are a Black Lagoon fan, Mister Del Soto?”

Paciano answered, “Yes. So, you know the series, as well.”

Lee casually responded, “Yes. I do. In more ways than I can state, right now. It is a series that has it all. Action. Guns. Hot babes that can kick some serious ass.”

Paciano cracked a grin, as he said, “You got that right. Me and my brother even sometimes joke that De La Plata Podrido is like Roanapur, only a lot nicer, with us in charge.”

Lee thought, 'It is not wise to tempt fate like that. Though, I wonder who your brother is? Still, I am in too deep already to ask about him. And I need to deal with the matter at hand.'

Lee stated, “Well, since you know that series. The good news is that I think I can answer your question. The problem is how to prove it without getting us both killed. Because, I cannot just tell you. You won't believe me. You will have to come with me to the hotel, be quiet, and watch. So, you can see the women, yourself. You will understand when you see them with your own eyes.”

Paciano said, “Your request is intriguing. But, just to let you know, I can handle myself in a fight.”

Lee replied, “That is good. You made need those skills, if those women catch wind of why we are there.”

Paciano realized, as he commented, “They don't realize how much you know about them.”

Lee admitted, “Exactly. And that very fact is the reason I am still breathing.”

Paciano inquired, “So, you are playing an angle with them?”

Lee replied, “Yes.”

Paciano said, “And you know them, but you won't tell me their names. And what does this have to do with the Black Lagoon series?”

Lee cryptically responded, “Let's just say that the women in the hotel, that I am talking about, or of the same type as the women at the Black Lagoon series.” He mentally added, 'Quiet literally.' He then continued, “If you come with me, you will soon understand the situation.”

Paciano questioned, “And how do I know this is not a trap?”

Lee stated, “Simple. I am putting my ass on the line just by telling you what I already have. And these women are extremely sharp when it comes to their wits. If they realize what I know, while you were with me, we will be both be dead. That is why, not matter what happens, you cannot tell them what we know.”

Paciano commented, “I don't know anything about them.”

Lee coyly replied, “You know more about them, than you realize.”

Paciano warned, “This better not be a waste of my time.”

Lee countered, “It won't. It will likely be the most significant event of your life.”

Paciano said, “Okay. I want to know what you know. You and I will head over there, just the two of us. I don't want to put my men in harms way.”

Lee complimented, “That is wise. And I respect your concern for you men. Also, just the two of us will likely not attract attention.”

Paciano agreed, “Correct.”

Lee pointed out, “Also, they don't know who you are. So, if they ask, I will just say you are a friend I met.”

Paciano replied, “That will work.”

Lee thought, 'I also need to know another thing, before we leave.' Lee inquired, “By the way, are you a fan of any other anime, or sci-fi series?”

Paciano answered, “Actually, I am a fan of quite a few series. The collection in here, are just my favorites, that I keep, so I can watch. If I get bored in my office, doing paperwork. That being said, my brother and I have a wide range of tastes. Including some weird tastes in fiction on the web.”

Lee thought, 'Oh, he could not mean?... Could he? I dare not ask.'

Paciano stood up from his chair.

As Lee looked at Paciano, he could not tell if the mexican was armed, or not, under his clothing.

Lee thought, 'I don't see any weapons on him, but that does not mean he isn't armed. I just hope he is not trigger happy.'

Paciano said, “Follow me. We will take one of my more common cars, back to the Devil's Hotel.

Paciano then lead Lee out of his office, and to his garage.

(_)

A few minutes later, Lee was in the passenger side of Paciano, brown colored, mid-level car, with Paciano in the driver's seat, driving down the road, back to the Devil's Hotel.

Paciano asked, “So, when we get to the hotel, what do you want me to do.”

Lee answer, “We will sit on the couch by the right front corner of the lobby. That will allow us to see those that walk into the hotel, along with those coming and going to the front elevators. We will just sit there and wait. Eventually, the girls will start to walk by. And if we are quiet, they will pass by without noticing us.”

Paciano complimented, “That is actually a very intelligent plan. I get to see the women, and what they look like, without interacting with them, and with less chance of them seeing me. I like it.”

Lee replied, “Thank you. Still, this plan hinges on silence. If you freakout, we are dead. Also, these women have very sharp hearing.”

Paciano stated, “I understand. And I doubt I will freakout at just looking as a bunch of girls.”

Lee mentally lamented, 'You might, when you realize who they really are.'

The two men then road the rest of the way to the Devil's Hotel in silence.

(_)

Several minutes later, they reached the parking lot of the Devil's Hotel.

Paciano parked his car at the Devil's Hotel parking lot, and they walked inside the front entrance, and into the lobby.

As they did so, the lobby music changed to a different song that both men knew.

Paciano said, “I know that song?”

Lee replied, “So, do I. Renegade, by Styx.”

Paciano said, “This is bad. They say this hotel is strange in that the song it plays for individuals, and groups, has something to do with their fate, while in the city.”

Lee agreed, “Yea. That is not a good song for men in our position. But, let's sit down, before we draw attention to ourselves.”

Paciano replied, “Agreed. I have a feeling that you were right to convince me to come here.”

Lee quietly reminded the mob boss, “Just remember. Whatever happens, we have to remain quiet, and appear to remain calm.”

Paciano softly replied, “I understand.”

Lee and Paciano then walked through the lobby, to the empty, front, right corner couch in the lobby. As both men sat across from each other on the couch, with their backs to the windows. They sat next to each other, Paciano sitting to Lee's left side.

The two men sat their for ten minutes, watching people come in an out, but nothing was happening.

Paciano thought, 'I wonder what Lee wants me to look for. He said I wonder understand, when I saw the women. But, I don't know what the women look like. And if this is a trick, why hasn't Lee run off? Nothing about this adds up.'

Suddenly, Paciano watched as two women, in their twenties casually walking together from the hotel elevator lobby, to his right, across the lobby, heading towards the hotel restaurant and bar, to his left. The two women had yet walk passed the two men.

This gave Paciano a clear look at their front sides, including their faces and eyes. Though, they could not clearly see the right sides of the two women.

As Paciano looked at them, as he thought, 'They looked familiar. But, I cannot place them.'

Both women were slender, pretty, and young. They looked to be in their mid-twenties.

The first woman has fair skinned asian, with long black hair, that was allow to drop loose behind her neck. She wore a long sleeved, white blouse, black pants, and black flat sole slippers.

The second woman was a asian with tanned skinned, and an odd shade of long red hair. Her hair was was tied back into pony tail, with a red scrunchy, except for the long bangs on the sides of her forehead.

She wore a black crop top shirt, blue denim cut-offs shorts, green boots, and she had two pistols, under her armpits, in shoulder holsters.

Paciano focused on the redheaded woman, as he thought, 'No. It couldn't be...'

Paciano then took a closer looked at the tanned skinned asain, and he saw she had yellow irises. And she turn slightly, as she walked away from them, and the different angle allowed Paciano to see the back side of the tribal tattoo on Revy's right shoulder, and upper right arm.

Paciano thought, in disbelief, 'No way. It could not be. It is impossible. Though, Lee stated that I already knew about them.'

Paciano looked over a Lee. He saw Lee looking back at him. He saw Lee simply nod once to his unspoken question. Lee then turned back to look in front of himself.

Paciano did the same, as they watched the two women leave the lobby, for the hotel restaurant.

Paciano continued his thoughts, 'Oh my lord. I understand what Lee meant now. That was Revy. As in Black Lagoon, Revy. Crazy, two-hands, Revy.'

'But, she is just a work of fiction from an anime and manga series. She shouldn't exist. But, she does.'

'And what about the other woman? Where did a see her from?. She looked like Rock from the Boys and Girls omake. Hell, she probably is Rock! But, how?!... Unless... From those writings... And they had multiverse reality traveling technology... Oh no... No. No. No...'

Suddenly, Paciano felt Lee lightly tap his right foot, with Lee's left foot.

Paciano looked over at Lee, to see Lee looking back at him.

Lee shook his head once, to tell him to calm down.

Paciano realized he was starting to become visibly upset. He forced himself to calm down. He thought, 'No wonder Lee told me not to freakout. And Lee knew what my reaction was going to be, and he warned me ahead of time. That was good thinking on his part.'

'Still, this is bad. No. Not bad. Bad would be the authorities invading the island. This is on a completely different level of bad from that. This is gates of Hell opening up, bad...'

'Of course, something like this would happen at a place called, The Devil's Hotel. The situation writes itself.'

'My brother and I should have never joked, and compared our home town to Roanapur... Still, I got to get a grip. This may not be that bad. If it is just those two, it is not the end of the world. This situation can be handled. That is, if it is just those two?”

Paciano and Lee then turned back to look in front of him.

A few minutes later, the two men watched as three women walk passing them, from the back hallway in front of them, and towards hotel restaurant, to Paciano and Lee's left.

Paciano immediately recognized two of the three women.

The one of the women in front was Shenhua, in her red, flowery, qipao, and white jacket. Paciano could make out where she was hiding her long knives and throwing knives. Beside her was Sawyer, in her purple and black goth clothing. Paciano notice there there were no scars on Sawyer's wrists, nor throat, along with her throat no longer having that hole below her chin.

And there was a small, young, white haired woman, walking a couple of steps behind Shenhua, and Sawyer, whom was wearing a white maids outfit.

Paciano thought, 'White hair?... Lotton. And Sawyer had no scars... In the stories, she had her wrists and throat repaired. She can now also speak normally... Oh hell, we're screwed! Oh god. I am in the Twilight Zone.'

'I always knew that heading up a mafia organization would get me in trouble, but not this type of trouble.'

(_)

As the minutes passed by, Lee noticed that Paciano was becoming increasingly nervous.

Lee thought, 'I was afraid this would happen. I need get him out of here, as quickly, and quietly, as possible. And to someplace more private. And I know just where to talk him.'

Just then, Ranma, Natsuru, Akira entered the hotel lobby from the front doors, and as they headed for the elevators, Akira stopped and looked towards them.

Lee overheard her say something japanese, with Ranma and Natsuru also stopping and turning to look at Lee and Paciano.

The three women then started walking towards the two men on the couch, by the windows.

As the women approached them, Lee mentally cursed, 'Oh crap. Murphy's Law just struck. I have to find an excuse for Mister Del Soto's behavior... That will work.'

As the three women stopped in front of them, from the corner of his eye, Lee could tell that Paciano was doing everything in his power not to freakout.

Lee thought, 'I would guess he knows who these ladies are. I need to defuse the situation now.' He greeted them, “Hi ladies.”

Ranma asked, in english, with concern in her voice, “Hi Lee. Is your friend alright?”

Lee lied, “Actually no, Ranma, he is not. He is coming down from some acid, and I am sitting with him. He is actually through the worst of it. About another hour, he should be fine.”

Ranma responded, “Okay. Let us know if you need any help.”

Lee faked a smile, as he replied, “I will. And thank you.”

The three women then turned, and walked towards the front elevator bay.

As the women left their sight, Paciano thought, with worry, 'I cannot believe what just happened. I personally met, Ranma, Natsuru, and Akira. And given they are together, and all adults, they have to be from those writings.'

'It is the only time those three were together, and adults, in anything. I need somewhere in private, where I can collect myself, before I go nuts at the insanity in front of me. Where?... The men's restroom. That is the most obvious place to go to get away from women.'

Paciano got up and headed for the men's restroom.

Lee quietly followed Paciano, as he realized where Paciano was heading.

Lee thought, 'Good. He has got the right idea. Still, we need to be careful, even in there.'

A few seconds later, they entered the men's restroom.

As the door closed behind them, Paciano turned around to face Lee.

Lee could see that Paciano was about to freakout.

Lee quickly cupped his right hand of Paciano's mouth, as he firmly said, in a quiet tone of voice, “I need you to keep yourself together for a few more seconds.”

Right after Lee let go of Paciano's mouth, the mob boss just nodded a few times in response.

Paciano then watched Lee walk further into the restroom.

Lee checked the stalls. He found them all empty. Until he came to the last one. The handicap accessible one. And the largest stall in the room.

Without even looking under it, Paciano watched as Lee knocked on the door, as Lee said, “Okay ladies. You can take this elsewhere. Some of us have business to conduct in here.”

Lee walked back over to Paciano, and stood beside him, both men looked towards the back of the restroom.

A few seconds later, two women came of the men's stall. And while their clothing were wrinkled, Paciano recognized them as, Aeryn and Violin. He thought, 'This just confirms what I suspected. That is Aeryn and Violin. Also, this has obviously happened before to Lee. And I clearly don't want to know the details.'

As Aeryn and Violin walked up to them, Lee commended, “If you two want to do this, why not do it in the women's restroom. You can get into trouble doing that in here.”

Aeryn gave Lee a mischievous smile, as she said, “Because it is not as kinky that way.”

Violin causally stated, “Don't worry. We will be more careful.”

Lee and Paciano stood out of the way, as the two women exited the room.

As the door closed, Lee turned to the mob boss, as he quietly said, “You could say that I am properly paranoid. And yes. I got that term from the TVtropes website. Also, keep in mind that these women have sharp hearing. So, try to calm down, and speak softly. But, you can ask your questions, now. I will answer you questions to the best of my ability.”

Paciano forced himself to calm down, as he softly mentioned, “This is like that screwy story I read off the web. It is the only time all those characters were in one place. And they all looked like the way those characters were in those stories. The only way this insanity fits is if they are from that story.”

Lee whispered, “Badasses Of the Multiverse?”

Paciano realized, as he quietly replied, “Yes... Oh my god. That strange message from a month ago. That was Scorpius... Damn, Scorpius is hot as a chick.”

Lee calmly answered, in a soft tone of voice, “Yes. On both counts. And that was her. Though, I don't think we are going to have to worry about her. I think she was just did that message as a favor to Violin. And we should count our blessing on that.” He mentally added, 'I guess he is a fan of my works.'

Paciano quietly stated, “Scorpius stated they wanted the writer. They probably meant the writer of those stories. But, who?...” Realization dawned in his eyes, as he looked directly at Lee, while accusing, in a quiet tone of voice, “You're the writer?”

Lee silently nodded once in confirmation.

Paciano softly asked, “How the hell did this happen?”

Lee quietly answered, “I guess world as myth theory is real. And I channeled too much genre savvy, too much badass, and too much multiverse technology, into one story, and it cracked reality itself. I wanted to push the limits of my imagination, while taking fanfiction format to the extreme, and I went too far.”

Paciano softly commented, “Well, you did the impossible. And you do realize this madness is only going to spread outwardly?”

Lee quietly admitted, “Yea. I know that. But, there is nothing either of us can do about it. Even if I turned myself in to them, it won't stop.”

Paciano softly agreed, “You are right. So, let's do with what we can. And let's start with the most important question. Are the Lovelace maids here?”

Lee whispered, “No. And neither are the others outside of Rock and Revy's small group. Annie is not here. Neither is Chang, the Serenity crew, nor any of Hotel Moscow.” He mental added, 'Except Melvin, but he is in hiding from Hotel Moscow, and there is no need to worry you further.'

Paciano let out a sigh of relief. He quietly commented, “I maybe a fan of the Bloodhound. But, I know better than to want to meet her in real life.”

Lee nodded, as he softly agreed, “You and me both.”

Paciano quietly inquired, “So, besides who I saw in the lobby, who else is here?”

Lee softly mentioned, “Eda and Yolanda are the blonds at that burger food truck.”

Paciano quietly commented, “I thought they looked familiar. Though, they cook good food.”

Lee softly replied, “Yes. They do. I am one of their regulars. Also, the teenagers are here.”

Paciano quietly questioned, “Which ones? I know better than to hope it is the Lowe siblings.”

Lee shrugged, as he softly responded, “Yea. Those two were nice to write about. Ah brotherly love. Anyway, I am talking about the Lagoon daughters, and the trio sisters being here. Not the Lowe brothers.”

Paciano quietly commented, “The trio sisters are not that bad, but the Lagoon daughters could be a problem.”

Lee nodded, as he softly responded, “I agree on both counts. Actually, it was Revy, with the Lagoon daughters that tore through the Rats Nest, a few nights ago.”

Paciano whispered, “I believe you. And I am glad you warned me. You steered us away from a minefield.”

Lee quietly said, “You're welcome.”

Paciano softly asked, “So, how screwed are we?”

Lee quietly answered, “Pretty screwed. As you know, your island is not on a map. Well, someone left me a business card for the Devil's Hotel, on the same day of the broadcast. He mentally added, 'I will leave out the Rats Nest flier and ring.'

Lee took a deep breath, and let out a breath. He then continued, in a soft tone of voice, “Someone lured me here. A reality traveler knows who I am. Knew where I lived. And their timing, for leaving their package in my mailbox, before I got home, on the day, was not coincidental. Though, I am guessing that the person who did this not one of those in the hotel.”

Paciano quietly inquired, “If you knew this was a trap. Why the hell did you come to this town, in the first place?

Lee softly stated, “Because, I had no other leads. And the fact of the matter was if I had stayed, the authorities of my country would have disappeared me.”

Paciano quietly said, “That would have likely happened to you.” He thought, 'Oh hell. There is a bigger game at foot here than I thought. And I am going to get caught up in it, if I don't do something soon. If I kill Lee, the women might go after me. If I try to turn over Lee, the women might still go after me. That is because these women are literally insane. I have only one other alternative.'

Lee softly commented, “I was able to get out of the country right before the hammer fell. And I would rather follow up on my only lead, and live off the grid, than get caught.”

Paciano whispered, “I can see your point of view. So, what is your angle? You don't act crazy enough to just want to be near those women. You clearly want something from them.”

Lee sadly said, in a quiet tone of voice, “I am trying to steal one of their reality devices, because I am dying. I got cancer. I am dead in less six months. We are talking full wasting away to living skeleton death. I have lost a lot of weight since I got here. And I got nothing to lose by trying to steal a device from them.”

Paciano softly said, in a sympathetic tone of voice, “Sorry to hear that.”

Lee quietly commented, “If I can get one of those devices. I can find a cure for myself, and escape them, at the same. I already have a few ideas on where to look for a cure for my cancer.”

Paciano softly replied, “I bet you do.”

Paciano thought, 'Though, your character, Bob, did not have much luck in finding a cure to Boris' cancer. And I doubt you want to use the vat process, which will also turn you into a woman. Though, that is not even mentioning, that you likely don't trust anyone with access to that technology. Because, they could use the vat process to brainwash you into their servant.'

'Still, I want to know how he plans to achieve his goals.'

Paciano quietly questioned, “Though, how do you plan to pull this off?”

Lee softly inquired, “Are you familiar with the Tvtropes website?”

Paciano quietly answered, “Yes. Your stories also covered that website. And I took a look at that website.”

Lee softly said, “Good. I am glad you remember that. It makes it more simpler to explain the situation to you.”

“Well, I met this guy when I first got here. Nice guy, and we are genuinely friends. But, I have been using him as a cover for the, those two guys, trope. And it has worked so far with the girls, because they are looking for one person. In the meantime, my overarching plan is a Kansas City Shuffle. But, I am still ironing out the details.”

Paciano quietly mentioned, “You need at least three person team to make that plan work right. The face. The one behind the scenes. And the distraction.”

Lee softly agreed, “Yes. But, only one of them has to know all the details. My friend and I are keep swapping roles between the face and the distraction, depending on the situation. He just doesn't know it. And it has fooled the girls, so far.”

“And I am working on finding the third person. The one that works behind the scenes. Want to be the volunteer for the guy behind the scenes?”

Paciano flatly, but quietly, replied, “No. I want to get through this alive. And I think it best if I go home, now.” He pulled out his keys, and handed them to Lee, as he requested, in a soft tone of voice, “Could you please drive me home. My nerves are shot.”

Lee took the keys in his right hand, as he smiled. He said, in a sincere, but quiet tone of voice, “I would be more than happy too. Though, I am sure you have a quicker way back to your home than the way you had me taken, both there, and back here. You took took a different routes to return here, to confuse me. And it worked.”

Paciano softly admitted, “You are correct. And I will show you the right way to get back to my home.”

Lee quietly replied, “Good. Now, let's get you home.”

Both men then calmly exited the men's restroom walked, out of the hotel lobby and into the parking lot, where they got into Paciano car. And Lee drove away from the Devil's Hotel parking lot, and down to road, to Paciano's home. With Paciano providing directions, as he sat in the front passenger seat of his car.

(_)

Twenty minutes later, Lee had returned Paciano back to his home, and given the mob boss back his keys.

Currently, Lee and Paciano stood outside of the mob boss's home, in the driveway, within the concrete fence.

Paciano had called in his men, that were within his residence, to meet and group together in the driveway, so he could speak to them, at once.

Paciano stood in front of his men, as he faced them on the driveway, with Lee quietly standing behind him.

Paciano stated, in a firm tone of voice, in english, for Lee's benefit, “I cannot give you the details just yet. I will do so tonight, when the rest of our group is here. But, I want you all to know, that this man.” He used his right thumb to point over his right should towards Lee, as he continued, “Just saved all of our lives. And we owe him much in doing so.”

Paciano then dropped his right hand back to his side.

Paciano went onto say, “Let it be known to all my subordinates, right here, and elsewhere. I have two orders. One, anything that happened last night, is to be let go. Lee, here is not to be harmed. And the women with him, from Devil Hotel's are to be left alone. And two, we will be meeting here, tonight. At seven PM. I will explain further, then. Now, I need someone to take Lee here, back to the Devil's Hotel.”

One of the men in the group took a step forward.

Paciano said, “Good.” He then turned around to looked at Lee, as he held out his right hand, towards Lee.

Paciano commented, “Good luck, Lee. And try not to get the world destroyed.”

Lee shook Paciano's hand, as he replied, “I will try my best to prevent that, Mister Del Soto. And good luck to you to.”

Both men shook hands, in a firm, though not tight, manner.

Lee thought, 'This firm handshake is a good sign that he is serious about leaving me alone.'

After they broke their handshake, Lee followed the man that stepped forward towards a black car in the driveway.

Less than a minute later, Lee was on the road back to the Devil's Hotel.

(_)

Around fifteen minutes later, Lee was dropped off at the Devil's Hotel, at the front entrance.

As Lee walked into the lobby, he saw Sam sitting in a nearby chair that was facing him.

Lee looked around, to see who else was in the room. He thought, 'I don't see any of the girls here.' He then turned his attention towards Sam, as he continued his thoughts, 'Just Sam. That is good. Now, I need speak to Sam.'

Lee walked over to his friend. As he did so, Sam looked up at Lee. He asked, “Where have you been?”

While Lee came to stop in front of Sam, Lee stated, “It is a long story. From last night, to right now. Let's get an early lunch at the hotel restaurant, I will tell you all about it.”

Sam stood up from chair, as he responded, “Sound good to me.”

Lee and Sam then walked towards the hotel restaurant, to get some lunch.

(_)

A few minutes later, Lee and Sam sat in stools, at the bar counter to get some some lunch. Since, it was early for lunch, none of the girls were there. Lee told Sam, and Melvin. Whom was had decided to start his shift early, because he had nothing better to do. With the bartender taking Lee and Sam's lunch orders.

And while Melvin had heard of last night's events from Lee, but not the mornings events, of what happened.

Lee stated that he had only talked to the mob boss, and brought him here, for him to see how dangerous the women were. He omitted the mob boss' name, and the conversation he had with Paciano in the men's restroom. Lee just stated that the mob boss saw reason and he went back to his home to talk to him some more. And then the mod boss had Lee returned back to the hotel.

By then, Melvin had served Lee and Sam their sandwich orders, with sodas. With Melvin standing behind the bar counter, across from the two sitting men, as he joined in on the conversation.

As they ate their lunch, Sam stated, “That was one hell of a tale, Lee. But, I don't see how the mob boss would just see reason from looking at Revy and the others.”

Lee thought, 'No. I can see your reasoning. But, I have a good statement prepared for that.' Lee played dumb, as he shrugged. He said, “He is a mob boss. He clearly had connections to other criminal organizations. Maybe he recognized them from somewhere. Let's be honest. Considering some of those women are very violent, someone has to have heard of them from somewhere.”

Melvin snorted, and then began laughing, as he thought, 'Or, maybe the guy was a Black Lagoon fan, and he realized who he was dealing. Now, that would be crazy. But, who am I to talk about that. My situation is even crazier. I lived the Black Lagoon anime series, and beyond. Then, when I got here, I actually saw the series a few times.'

As Melvin began to calm down, he mentally reflected, 'But, I better back Lee on this. Because the other, more likely explanation, is to hard to believe.'

Melvin stated, “That could be the case.”

Sam conceded, “Perhaps. But, let us all be happy that we got out of this one with our hides intact.”

Lee replied, “You got that right.”

Melvin said, “I fully agree.”

Sam and Lee then soon finished their meals, tipped Melvin, paid for their meals, and left to continue their ongoing poker game, at the Rats Nest, for the rest of the day.

And the rest of the day was uneventful for Lee, Sam, and Melvin.

(_)

The next morning, it was late in the morning as Lee and Sam were both dressed and ready to face they day. With both of them having gotten some breakfast at different locations. For Lee, it was the Last Resort Diner, and Lee did not know where Sam ate his breakfast at.

Currently, they met back inside the front lobby of the Devil's Hotel, in the mid-morning to start their daily poker game, as they waited for the Rats Nest to open at eleven AM.

They were sitting in two of the cushioned lobby chairs, in the hotel lobby, using the small table between them to hold their gambling pot, and the cash they had pulled out, to place bets.

Lee was facing the front entrance, and Sam was facing the check in desk.

Lee was not really paying attention to what was going on around him, but as the two men concluded another hand, which Lee won, Lee saw a mexican man, in a business suit walk into the hotel lobby, from the entrance, take a look around, and focus on Lee.

As the man walk towards Lee, Lee noticed him. Lee thought, 'Now, what does Mister Del Soto want with me? Though, it is best that I be polite. Being polite got me out of trouble yesterday. I am sure being polite will get me out of trouble today'

Lee turned to Sam, as he said, “Collect the cards, and your cash. We will have to table to the game for later.” Lee then picked up and pocketed his cash that he had on the table.

Sam quickly did the same. As he pocketed his cash and his cards, he looked over his left shoulder, at where Lee was looking, and the bearded man understood what was going on.

Lee and Sam both stood up, and turned to face the man in the business suit, as the third man came to a stop in front of him.

Lee stated, “Is there something I can do for you?”

Man politely said, in english, “Actually, there is something I can do for you. Please, come this way, outside.”

Lee replied, “Okay.”

Lee then walked beside the man, towards the front doors.

Sam decided to stay a few feet behind Lee and the third man, so he could quietly listen to their conversation.

After all three men entered the entryway, with the doors closing, they realized they had some privacy. And Sam realized that Lee and the other man in front of him has slowed their walking pay towards the outside door. Sam did the same.

Lee warned, “Be mindful that the people here have very sharp hearing.”

The man in the business suit cryptically said, in a soft tone of voice, “Thank you for the tip. My boss has decided to make a career change. And after last night, when he explained things to us. So, have we.”

Lee commented, “That is completely understandable. And given the circumstances, that is likely a wise thing to do.”

The man stated, “Still, the boss is very grateful for what you did, and he has a gift for you.”

The man reached into his pocket, as he pulled out something. The man then requested, “Please hold out you hand, Lee.”

As they continued walking, Lee held out his right, with the palm facing upwards. The man dropped something into Lee open palm of his right hand.

Lee looked at the object in his hand and saw it was a keyring with two keys on it.

The man then opened the right front door to the hotel for Lee, and Sam. With both Lee and Sam walking outside, and seeing what was in parked in front of the hotel, across the sidewalk, from the lobby entrance, by the curb.

Lee and Sam came to a stop outside, under the awning, of the sunny, cool day. They stood beside each other, in silence, with Lee to Sam's left side, as they looked at what was in front of them.

The man lead the right front door automatically close, as he walked up to join them.

The man said, “The gas tank is full. Oil was recently replaced. And she is in mint condition. And she is all yours, Lee.”

Sam's jaw dropped, due to looking at Lee's unexpected gift.

As Lee looked at his gift, his entire body shook with excitement. All that came from his mouth was, “Ahh. Aaaah. Ahhahaha...”

In front of them was a pink, two door, 1951 Cadillac Series 62 convertible, in perfect condition.

The car was cleaned and waxed to the point that paint job acted as a pink mirror. The hooded top and windows were rolled down, allowing Lee to see the white leather seats, of the car, in pristine condition.

The steering wheel was on the left side of the front seat and the car was facing with the right side seat beside the sidewalk curb.

Sam was the first one able to speak. He looked at the car, as he said, “Lee, have I mentioned to you that I swing both ways?”

Lee continued starting at his new car, as he stated, “No.”

Sam admitted, “I hope you are not offended, but... Well, cool, rare, beautiful things are a turn on for me. And sleeping with someone in the back seat, of a classic, american convertible car, is on a list of things I would like to do in my life. Man, or woman. I don't care. And I was just making the offer to you first. I promise to give you the time of your life.”

Lee looked at the car, as he answered, “I am not offended. But, I don't swing that way. Still, I don't plan on being here for long. I am more than happy to leave this car to you. And you can find someone else to have your fantasy with. I don't mind.”

Sam smiled, as he happily replied, “Thanks, Lee. You're the best.”

(_)

At that moment, inside the lobby, Rock and Revy were walking out of the hotel restaurant and through the lobby, when they came to a stop, at what they saw through the front doors, Lee, Sam, and a man, standing by a pink convertible, with the top and windows down.

Both of them were in this usual clothing, with Revy having her pistols in her shoulder holsters.

Rock asked, “Is that Sam, and Lee?”

Revy answered, “Yea. And they are right by a very nice car. Let's go see what it going on.”

Rock replied, “Good idea.”

Both of them then headed for the front doors.

(_)

Meanwhile, outside, Lee was slowly walking around the car, counterclockwise, as he gripped the keys to it in his right hand. He ran his left hand right over the car as he slowly walked around it. He was tempted touch the paint job, but did not want to smug the wax coating.

As Lee walked around, he noticed, from the location of the gear being by the steering wheel, on the steering column, that the car had automatic transmission,.

The only real difference Lee noticed, between this Cadillac and the original version of this Cadillac, was this one had seat belts. Four, three point seat belts, installed in the four outer cushioned seats of the car. Two for the front seat, and two for the back seats. And two, two point seat belts for the front and back, center seats.

Lee thought, 'I will give Mister Del Soto credit for having sense to add some safety options to this car. And this is one hell of a gift. If I ever see him again, I will have to thank him for this gift.'

When he reached the back, he noticed the license plate on the back stated, BCKLAGN.

Lee thought, 'Damn. Mister Del Soto may be a bigger Black Lagoon fan than me. Still, this is not a legal license plate. They don't have vanity plates here. I checked. Though, he is a mob boss, so why would he care about the law. And there is nothing I can do about it. I hope the others don't notice.'

Lee continued walked around the car, looked at his vehicle, he had just made it to the back right side of the vehicle, with him walking onto the sidewalk, when he heard, towards the hotel entrance, Revy's voice say, “Whoa. Now, that is a classic.”

Lee stopped, as he looked up, and turned towards the hotel entrance, to see Revy and Rock standing by Sam and the mexican man in the business suit.

From Lee's left to right, stood Rock, Revy, Sam, and the mexican man.

Lee turned to Rock and Revy, as he stated, “That is an understatement. This car is over half a century old, and it looks brand new.”

Lee thought, with amusement, 'It is true. Cool cars do attract hot women. Not that I want to do anything with, Revy. Though she is hot, she is also crazy. And crazy is a turn off for me, because I would like to remain breathing, with all my parts intact, when I wake up the next morning. As far as I am concerned, Rock can have her. And though Rock is now a hot woman as well, though she's also crazy.'

Revy said, “No kidding, Though Lee, I really don't see how a man could be happy with having a pink car.”

Lee smirked, as he stated, “Revy, there are three things in life that a man can have in pink. Cars, shirts, and women. And this is a cool, classic, pink Cadillac. Elvis drove cars like this. Rock songs are written about cars like this, as if they were women. This car. No, this Cadillac is the embodiment of a manly, american car.”

Revy conceded, “You got me there.” She then joked, “So, are you going to take her on a date.”

Lee retorted, “No. I was thinking of taking her for a spin. This is a high maintenance chick. And gasoline is not cheap. So, I will not be able to take her out often.”

Sam commented, “Mores the pity.”

Lee then realized, as he stated, “Oh no. Where am I going to park this. It will get stolen the moment I turn my head away from it.”

The man in the business suit stated, “Don't worry. The locals here know better than to steal from the tourists. That includes the car thieves. It hurts long term business here, and my boss has been know to hurt them for hurting business.”

Rock over heard the man's comment, as she asked, “What boss?”

Lee turned to her, as he thought, 'Oh crap. How do I explain what I did? Oh, I know.' He answered, “Rock, the people we were chased by, two nights ago, belonged to an organization that wanted to talk to me, yesterday morning. I thought Revy would tell you.”

Rock's eyes went wide, as she understood what type of organization Lee was talking about. She then turned to look at Revy.

Revy looked at Rock. She shrugged, as she replied, “It slipped my mind.”

Rock then turned to Lee, as she asked, “Should we be worried.”

Lee stated, “Relax. It's taken care of. I explained to him the situation. That being, I saw Revy and some of the others, commit the Rats Nest massacre. And the boss' drunk employees were about to get themselves killed by approaching you women, while everyone was drunk.”

The mexican man by them backed Lee up, as he said, “Exactly. We do appreciate when people save our lives. And Lee here did save the lives of some of my friends.”

Revy commented, “Whoa. I have spoken mob bosses before. But, I never got a car out of the deal.”

Lee lied, “Well, I don't know about them. But, I have found the people here to be very reasonable, when one is polite, and knows their manners.”

Rock said, “I have said that manners do matter, Revy.”

Revy snorted, as she replied, “Fine, Rock. After this, I see your point.”

Lee held back a laugh. Lee turned to the mexican man, as he stated, “By the way. Tell your employer, thank you for the gift. I am very grateful to him, for such a gift.”

The man said, “I will. And I have to go, now. My organization is leaving.” He then held up his right. A few seconds later, a four door, black car, with tinted windows, then pulled up to a stop beside the pink Cadillac, and the man got into front passenger side of the black car, which was facing the sidewalk.

The car moved to where the passenger side was clear of the Cadillac, the car stopped, and the man rolled down his electric car door, tinted window. He looked over at Sam, Rock, Revy, and Lee, as he said, in english, “I hope you don't take this the wrong way. But, I hope I never see you again, Two-hands.”

The car stayed parked just long enough to for the man to see the shocked expressions on both Revy and Rock's faces, before the driver floored the car, and it sped away from them, out of the parking lot, and down the road.

A second later, Revy started laughing.

Rock joined her lover in laughing, as she thought, 'The local mob recognized us, and they ran. I find that both flattering, and humorous. And from the reaction Revy is having, so does she.'

Meanwhile, Lee forced himself to keep his emotions in check, as he thought, 'Crap! I just thanked him. And he had to drop Revy's nickname like grenade right into my lap. I have to think fast. And if I look at Revy, or Rock, when I ask, I will give myself away.'

As Rock and Revy quieted down, Lee asked, while he was looking at his car, “What did he mean by, Two-hands?”

Revy answered, “You wouldn't know. But, it is a nickname I have because I use my two cutlasses at once when I fight.”

Lee thought, 'Now, to further the con.' Lee turned to face Sam, Rock, and Revy, as he asked, “Like Antonio Banderas in the movie, Desperado?”

Revy smirked, as she answered, “Yea. Exactly. I even know someone who can do that pop up pistol trick with mini-shotguns.”

Lee thought, 'Yes. I know. Fabiola.' He said, “I get the feeling I don't want to know.”

Rock commented, “No. You don't.”

Lee mentally reflected, 'Okay. That helps. But, I got to get them to think about something else, before it occurs to them, to ask if the Mister Del Soto talked to me about what he knew... That should work.' He offered, “So, do you guys want to take ride in this beauty?”

Sam answered, “Of course.”

Rock replied, “Sure.”

Revy smirked, as she said, “I though you would never ask.”

Lee commented, “If you don't mind. I will drive. Sam will sit beside me. And you two can be in back.”

Revy said, “I don't mind.”

Rock responded, “I am fine, as long as you don't drive like a maniac.”

Revy snorted at Rock's comment.

Lee said, “I don't plan too. Though, I would like everyone to wear their seat belts while in this car. And Revy, if you don't mind, I plan to have the top down, as I drive. So, could you please leave your pistols here, at the hotel.”

Revy replied, “I understand. I will be right back.” She turned to Rock, as she said, “I will leave my cutlasses in our room. And I will leave a message at the front desk, with our girls.”

Rock commented, “I think they are in the hotel gym.”

Revy replied, “Thanks.” She then rushed back into the hotel.

(_)

Thirty minutes later, Lee was driving his new convertible Cadillac, with the hood top and windows down. Lee was driving. Sam sat beside him in the right front passenger seat. Rock sat behind Lee, and Revy sat behind Sam. With all of them wearing their three point seat belts.

Lee had just been driving them around the highways of the island, for around the last twenty-five minutes. According to his wrist watch. And he was heading nowhere in particular. As he did so, he had the radio on, and set to an American eighties rock and roll station, which no one seems to mind listening to.

Fortunately, the roads they had driven through, had been empty, for the most part. And Lee had found that the roads on the island, were in good condition, with only a few cracks and potholes.

As Lee drove, everyone was having a good time, just enjoying the ride.

Suddenly, Lee saw, in the rearview mirrors, a police car pull up behind them, very close. The police car had not did have its lights turned on yet, but he could tell that it was about to.

Lee turned off the radio, as he stated, “Looks like the party is over.” He mentally added, 'And I don't have my license. Oh well. Let's see if I can talk my way out of trouble.'

Lee drove the car to the right side of the road, and onto the grass. The police car parked behind him.

Lee put the car in park, and turned off the engine. Though, he left his keys in the ignition.

Lee stated, “Let me do the talking. Worst case, they arrest me. But, you should be fine.”

Revy stated, “I can take them, even without my cutlasses.”

Lee pointed out, “But, can you take care of their friends, as well? Let's see if we can do this civilly.”

Revy replied, in a disappointed tone of voice, “Fine.” She thought, 'Lee is almost as bad as Rock use to be.'

Rock stated, “Good luck, Lee.”

Sam said, “Yea. Good luck.”

Lee then watched from the rearview mirrors, as the police officer got out of his car.

The police office wore his police uniform. He was an average height mexican man.

A few seconds later, the man walked up to beside the left driver's side door of the car. He looked down at Lee, as he asked, in english, “Are you the man known, Lee?”

Lee looked up at the man, as he answered, “Yes, officer. Is there something that I can do for you?”

The officer calmly inquired, “Yes. First, why are you driving Mister Del Soto's car?”

Lee pulled out the key from the ignition, as he stated, “He gave it to me.”

The officer stated, “We heard about that. We just wanted to confirm that.”

Lee thought, 'I guess word travels fast in this city.'

The officer then requested, “The chief of police would like to speak with you, Lee. Do you know where the police station is?”

Lee thought, 'I found out where the police station was by the end of the first week I was here.'

Lee answered, “Yes. I do. And I would be more than happy to meet with the police chief, right after I drop my passengers off at the hotel they are staying. If that is alright with you?”

The police officer replied, “You are not under arrest. So, I see no reason to prevent you from doing so. And thank you, for your time.”

The officer then turned around, and walked back to his car. He soon drove off, passed them, down the highway.”

Revy mentioned, “Melvin mentioned that the cops here were reasonable. I didn't really believe him, until now.”

Lee turned his head to look at Revy, as he stated, “Let's count our blessings, and be happy none of us are under arrest.”

Revy replied, “You are preaching to the choir.” She thought, 'Now, I am glad I left my cutlasses at home. That could have gotten us all in trouble with that officer.'

Lee then turned back around to face the front of the car. He inserted the key, and started the ignition.

Lee then politely requested, “Could you guys please roll up your windows. I am going to put the hood up.”

Sam said, “Sure.”

Revy replied, “Okay.”

Rock responded, “No problem”

The four adults then rolled up the manual car door windows, as Lee also set the car to bring up the top up.

As soon as the windows were rolled up, and the top was up, as well, Lee put the car in drive, and checked to make sure he was clear.

When he was sure he was clear, he pressed the gas pedal, and re-entered the highway.

He soon turned onto another road, towards the Devil's Hotel.

(_)

Five minutes later, Lee stopped in front of the Devil's Hotel lobby entrance.

Lee put the car in park, as he let it idle, he turned to his passengers, as he said, “I hope you guys had fun.”

Sam stated, “I had fun.”

Rock replied, “It was interesting.”

Revy said, “It is always nice to ride in a classic.”

Lee smiled, as he responded, “I am glad you feel that way.” He then looked over at Sam, as he stated, “I will see you later tonight, for dinner, Sam. Say around six, I will meet you in the lobby?”

Sam teased, “It's a date.”

Lee chuckled. He then watched as his three passengers get out. Sam pulled down his front seat for the two women. With Revy and Rock exiting the back, from the passenger side door. Sam then pulled up the sit, and shut the door. The three adults then walked into the hotel lobby.

After they entered the lobby, Lee turned to look in front of him, as he put the car in drive, and drove towards the De La Plata Podrido police station.

(_)

Twenty-five minutes later, Lee made it to the police station. He parked his car in a parking lot across the two lane street from the front of the police station.

After Lee made sure both doors of his car were locked, he left it, and headed inside the police station.

When he walked inside, he saw that it was an average looking police station. With officers coming and going. And a few other people were there, as well. There was a check in desk about twenty feet in front of him, from the front doors.

Lee noticed that the walls of the building were concrete block, with likely steel rod, reinforcement. A cheap, but effective style of construction.

Lee height allowed him to looked over the partitioned panel walls to see that he was in a large room, and that passed the check in desk were several desks for the police officers.

The flooring used off-white linoleum tiles.

The ceiling was a drop down ceiling, with ceiling tiles. And the ceiling was eight feet above the floor.

The lighting was done by soft florescent ceiling lights.

Lee also saw security cameras, placed at various places, on the high parts of the walls. With the cameras being pointed at different angles, looking into the room.

Lee was careful not to look directly at any of the cameras he saw.

Lee then noticed that the officer standing behind check in desk was not busy. He walked up to the officer, and came to a stop in front of the officer.

Lee stated, “Hello. My name is, Lee. I was told to come here, to meet with the police chief.”

The officer looked at Lee, as he replied, in english, “Ah yes. Please have a seat, the chief will see you in a little bit.”

Lee turned around and walked to where there were few empty seats, set against the outer wall, to the right of the front door.

Lee then sat down, and quietly waited to be called back to see the police chief.

Around ten minutes later, another officer escorted Lee through the station, to the police chief's office.

As Lee walked into the office, the officer walked away.

Lee stood just inside the door way to the office, as he looked around the room.

It was a small office, about twenty feet in depth, by twenty feet wide, by eight in height. There were no windows in the room, so Lee was not sure if one of the office walls was an outside wall of the building.

The walls were a light brown, painted color, over concrete. With linoleum tiles being the same off-white tiles as what he had seen in the rest of the station. Along with the ceiling be a drop down ceiling.

And the lighting was done by the same type of soft florescent ceiling lights, as outside the police chief's office.

Lee also saw not security cameras in the room.

Lee thought, 'I guess I am not being recorded in this room, and it is okay to talk in here. That makes sense, considering this is the police chief's office.'

Lee noted that door to the office swung from the inside, to his right.

To his left was a coat hook on the wall, with brown long coat handing on it.

To Lee's left, there was a wooden baseball bat leaning against the corner of the wall with the door, and the wall with the coat hook on it.

In front of Lee were two wooden armchairs, with cushioned seats. In front of the chairs was a brown, wooden desk of moderate size.

On the desk, to Lee's right was a computer set up, with a tower computer on the end of the side of the desk. Beside the tower was thing screen monitor, and a portable phone, hooked its base. The tower, the monitor, and phone, faced away from Lee. Behind the monitor was a keyboard, and computer mouse. Lee could see from the back of the tower, that it was a wireless network adapter plugged into the computer. Which meant that it was likely hooked up to the internet through a wireless hub router.

Behind the desk, to Lee's right, against the far right corner, was a set of shelves that went up near the height of the ceiling. The shelves were three feet wide, and a foot in depth. The shelves were facing Lee's left.

There were books, video boxes, and even a few comics on the shelves.

Lee thought, 'So, the chief has hobbies. Good.'

To Lee's left, in the far left corner, was a sit of filing cabinets. The doors to the cabinets faced Lee.

Beside the deck itself was nice wooden arm chair, with cushioned seat and back. And there was a man sitting behind the desk.

That man was looking at Lee, with a pleasant look on his face.

Lee saw that the man looked to be mexican in origin. He was in his forties. He was clean shaven, with short black hair. And he looked to be in good physical shape for his age.

Lee thought, 'So, this is the police chief. And he clearly is not of the donut eating variety of police officers.'

Lee continued to look at the police chief. He saw that the man wore a white long sleeve buttoned up shirt, over what Lee guessed was a bulletproof vest. The police chief had on a brown tie.

Lee also noticed the police chief had on a shoulder holster, with a pistol under his left armpit. Meaning the chief was likely right handed.

The butt of the pistol showed that it was an ammo clip, meaning the pistol in the holster was a semi-automatic of some kind.

And though Lee could not see what was below the man's wrist, but he saw a brown long coat hanging on a hook on the wall, so he guessed the man wore brown pants, and with his job, he likely wore nice dress shoes.

The police chief said, in english, “You must be, Lee.”

Lee remained calm, as he answered, “Yes. I am, Lee.”

The police chief requested, “Please, shut the door, and sit down, Lee. We have much to discuss.”

Lee gently shut the brown wooden door. He then walked over, and sat in the left chair, in front of the desk, so he could more easily see the police chief.

The police chief stated, “I heard from my brother that he gave you a gift.”

Lee realized, as he asked, “You are Mister Del Soto's brother?”

The police chief answered, “Yes. I am the older brother. By a few years. My name is, Pedro Del Soto.”

Lee thought, 'Oh man. Now, this is interesting. One brother controls the crooks, the other brother controls the cops. And they are clearly friends. No wonder Mister Paniano Del Soto said they joked about their city here, De La Plata Podrido, was like Roanapur, only nicer, with them both in charge.... Oh boy did I screw things up for this town. I just hope Chief Del Soto doesn't blame me.'

Lee said, “It is nice to meet you, Chief Del Soto.”

Pedro stated, “Yesterday, my brother called me to inform me that he was leaving town on short notice. Though, he did not give me many details. And he left town, before I could ask him questions on the matter. So instead, I have questions for you.”

Lee requested, “I will tell you what I can, Chief Del Soto. Perhaps you should start from the beginning, so I don't have to waste your time, retreading what you already know.”

Pedro thought, 'Hey. That is my line. This guy smooth. But, he is clearly willing to give me answers. And I need answers.'

Pedro responded, “I want to know why, late last night, my brother called me, at my home, in my bed. He told me that this morning he would be leaving town, and joining the priesthood. Also, he was in the process of giving almost all his wealth to charity.”

“He even gave me his beach home. And I don't need that home. I have my own home. Places like that only attract trouble.”

“The only clue to his mysterious actions is that he mentioned your name, Lee. That he gave you one of his favorite cars. He told me which car, and I was sure you would be taking it for a drive today. So, having my boys track you down was not so hard.”

“Still, he stated that you saved his life, so that is why I didn't have you arrested on the spot. But, he refused to tell me how you saved his life. All he said if he answered my question, that I would either think he was insane, or get myself killed. That the situation was just too much badass for either of us to handle. Care to explain?”

Lee thought, with amazement, 'Wow. I must have made a real impression on Mister Del Soto, for him to join the priesthood on short notice. And from what that mexican man said this morning. I think Mister Del Soto also closed down his organization. That is understandable, given the situation.'

'And I guess I screwed up things more than I thought. I just know that Paciano Del Soto leaving is going to leave a power vacuum in this city. And I am not sure who is going to fill power vacuum. But, none of the options are good. And I am sure his brother here also realizes this fact... Still, I need something to use, to help me with the situation.'

Lee took a look around, and he then on as set of shelves, near the top of the shelving unit, by the desk, the stack of the Black Lagoon Blue-Ray boxes, and the Black Lagoon manga volumes, stacked beside each other, on their bottom sides.

Lee thought, 'I can use his hobbies to my advantage, like I did his brother.'

Lee turned back to look at Police Chief Del Soto, as he admitted, “Chief Del Soto, this is going to take some explaining. And we are going to have to do the same things. As what I did with your brother. You need to come to the Devil's Hotel, and see the answers for yourself.”

Pedro asked, “What is at the Devil's Hotel that I need to see?”

Lee answered, “Women. Dangerous women. And when we do this, we have to keep quiet, and make sure they do not know that we know about them, or we are both dead. Or worse.”

Pedro raised an eyebrow, as he inquired, “What dangerous game are you playing at, Mister Lee?”

Lee answered, “A game of shadows. Where the stakes are life and death. But, I do have a question for you. I see that you are a fan of the Black Lagoon series.”

Pedro answered, “Yes. I even find it funny that my name, Pedro, translates to, Rock. My full name translates to, rock of the grove. While Paciano translates to, peace. As in, peace of the grove.”

Lee said, “That is interesting. And I was wondering, what other series are you a fan of?”

Pedro cracked a grin, as he said, “You name it, I have probably seen, or read, it. Except for the pornographic stuff. I do not need porn. I can get plenty of tail, if I want it. So, there is no problem there. And, as it is, it can get boring here, and I have to do something to kill time.”

Lee thought, 'Well, your boredom is about to end. And I think I just found my person behind the scenes. You just don't know it, yet.'

Lee commented, “I can see your point. Still, given the situation we are all in, I want to be on the best foot with you, from the beginning. All I ask is that you please don't betray my trust in you.”

Pedro flatly replied, “I won't.”

Lee mentioned, “Good. Your brother mentioned that he had strange tastes in fiction on the web. Have you heard of the series, Badasses Of the Multiverse?”

Pedro answered, “Yes. It is a really twisted story. Though, I found it very funny, with a lot of good action it in.”

Lee could not help but smirk, as he said, “Thank you. That is what I was going for.”

Pedro inquired, “You wrote it?”

Lee replied, “Yes.”

Pedro commented, “You are one sick man.”

Lee admitted, “I know. And because I wrote that story, you could say that I am the Keyser Soze of this situation. It is just that, while those after me, don't know they are after me. I am being honest with you about being Soze.”

Pedro wondered, as he asked, “How does that work? Keyser Soze was a brilliant liar in the movie, The Usual Suspects.”

Lee agreed, “I know. Kevin Spacey should have earned an Oscar for that performance. And the movie had a great ending.”

Pedro questioned, “No arguments there. So, how is knowing about, the Badasses Of the Multiverse story, important?”

Lee thought, 'Now, to see if he can pass my test. I need someone with courage, and who understands the depths of the situation.'

Lee commented, “Oh it is. It will all make sense, soon enough. I showed your brother yesterday, and in response, he immediately folded his organization, and ran out of town, less than a day later. I am hoping you are made of sterner stuff.”

Pedro raised an eyebrow, as he inquired, “Are you quoting Optimus Prime?”

Lee thought, 'Oh my. He did get the reference. He passed my test.' He answered, “Yes. And as I told your brother, Mister Del Soto, there are three things you need to do, when we arrive at the hotel. And it will have to be just the to of us.”

Pedro cautioned, “If to get me alone, to lay a trap. I warn you, I have faced worse than you, and lived.”

Lee responded, “I am sure. And your brother wondered if this is a trap. Which it is not.”

“Anyway, first, when we get over there, you have stay quiet. You cannot talk. The women have ultra sharp hearing. If the women get wind we know anything. Then, we will both be killed, or worse. Second, we will only be spending a few minutes, until we see some of the women there. I nearly made the mistake of staying too long with your brother, and the situation almost blew up in our faces. Third, you cannot freakout. Your brother almost did. That would have screwed both of us.”

Pedro said, in a skeptical tone of voice, “I find that hard to believe. My brother is one of the bravest men I know. For him to be scared, states something bad happened. Very bad. Possible world ending bad. Because, he one time told me that he would only leave this town, permanently, if the nukes started flying. And I believe him.”

Lee conceded, “It is not that bad. But, it could get that bad, if we are not careful.”

Pedro said, “Interesting. And who are these women? I don't know any women on this planet that could scare Paciano like that.”

Lee though, 'Emphasis on, this planet.' He stated, “Like I said to your brother. You will know them, when you see them. Now, if they do talk to us, let me do the talking. Once you see them, you will understand that your authority means nothing to them. To be honest, it might make you a target.”

Pedro responded, in a more serious tone of voice, “Okay, Lee. You have me concerned, now. I will play your game. Just don't waste my time.”

Lee replied, “I promise, I won't. And after this, I will even treat you to some lunch, at the Last Resort Diner. So, either way, you are looking at a free lunch.”

Pedro commented, “There is no such thing as a free lunch.”

Lee smirked, as he responded, “Exactly. Now, let's head over there. And we can take my car. I will be driving.”

Pedro said, “Okay.” Both men stood up. Pedro got his coat, while Lee opened the door.

Both men then walked out of Pedro's office.

A minute later, they were out of the station, and sitting in Lee's new car.

Lee was behind the wheel, with Pedro beside him. And both of them had their seat belts on.

Lee then started the car, and took Pedro to the Devil's Hotel, to sitting him down in the hotel lobby, to watch for the people there.

(_)

Around twenty-five minutes later, they came to the Devil's Hotel parking lot, out front.

Lee parked his car in the middle of the parking lot. He made sure that the sight of his new pink car was blocked by the other cars, from the windows looking in the hotel lobby, and from the road.

As Lee turned off the ignition, with both him and Pedro undoing their seat belts, Lee thought, 'I am taking a big risk doing this twice. Two days in a row. But, I got no choice. Though, I will do this in the left, front corner lobby couch this time.

Lee looked over at Pedro, as he stated, “The plan is this. You follow me. We walk into the front lobby, and sit down in the left, front corner couch. If it is empty. If not, I will find another place for us to sit. Once we sit down, we will just silently watch people walk by. And whatever you do, you must remain silent, unless I ask you something. And you must not freakout. You freakout and we both die.”

Pedro looked at Lee, as he calmly replied, “I understand.”

Lee thought, 'No, you don't. But, you soon will.'

Both men then got up, opened their doors, stepped out of the car, and locked the car doors behind them.

A few minutes later, they made into the hotel lobby, and Lee lead Pedro to the couch against the window to the left side of the lobby. This was opposite to the location he took Paciano yesterday morning.

As they entered the front lobby, the speakers changed music, to the nineteen seventies song, Straight On, by the band, Heart.

Though, both men were so focused on the situation, they did not pay much to the song playing.

Lee found that the couches to the left side of the lobby were empty, and he and Pedro sat in the left, front couch, set against the window. With Lee sitting to Pedro's left side.

They then silently watched the people walk by, in the front lobby.

As luck would have it, the two men only had to sit there for a few minutes, until Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer walked by, in their usual clothing, as they were heading from the hotel bar, to the elevator bay.

As soon as the three women were out of sight, Lee turned to Pedro, and from the look at Pedro face, Lee thought, 'I guess he recognized them. Good.'

Lee whispered, “Now, do you understand?”

Pedro turned to Lee, as his face paled. He quietly requested, “Oh god, yes. Get us out of here.”

Lee softly replied, “With pleasure.” He mentally added, 'And none to soon. The sooner we are out of here, the better for both of us.'

Both men then stood up, and walked out of the hotel lobby through the front doors.

Four minutes later, they were both in Lee's in the car, with Pedro in the front passenger seat, as Lee was driving down the road, towards the Last Resort Diner, which was only a few minutes away by car.”

While Lee drove, the two men road in silence, all the way to the diner.

(_)

Three minutes later, Lee already parked his car out from of the Last Resort Diner, with him and Pedro then walking into the diner.

Presently, the two men were seated in the back, right corner booth, of the Last Resort Diner.

Lee was facing the front of the diner, so he could see the entrance. Pedro did not mind, because Lee was paying for lunch.

Both of them had already given Mary, their young redheaded waitress, both their drink and lunch orders.

Mary had just set down their two cups of coffee, and two bottles of chilled water, on the table between the two men. She then went to take care of her other customers, which were not near the booth that Lee and Pedro were sitting in.

While Lee took a sip of coffee form his own cup of coffee, he could see that Pedro's nerves were shot for the moment, as the cup in Pedro's hands were slightly shaking, as he sipped his office.

Lee sat down his cup on the table between him, and looked at Pedro, as he thought, 'This is a normal reaction for the given situation. But, I need to let him talk, first. For him to have the reactions I want him to have, towards me. Still, I will watch what I say. I will omit that I have cancer, and that my plans are a Kansas City Shuffle, that he will unknowingly be a part of.'

Lee stayed quiet, as Pedro slowly collected himself.

A minute later, after Pedro took another sip of coffee, he set down his cup of coffee, on the table, between them.

Pedro then looked Lee, in Lee's face, as the first words from Pedro's mouth were, “I have a request.”

Lee inquired, “What is it?”

Pedro stated, “You know how I said that Pedro translated to meaning, Rock. Please... Please, keep that to yourself. And don't let those women at the hotel know.”

Lee replied, “My lips are sealed.”

Pedro said, “Thank you. And I know this is impossible. But, you some how cracked reality, with what I guess is your imagination. No wonder my brother skipped town at the first opportunity, after learning of them. He was right. They are too badass for us. And considering that you mentioned your story, I can guess that these women are not just from their own various series, but from your stories, as well.”

“And they found out about your stories. And how your stories effected their lives. And now they want your ass for what you did to him.”

Lee thought, 'It is so nice to be able to casually talk to someone that can keep up with my line of reasoning.' He responded, “Yes. That sums up the situation. And I see why you are the police chief.”

Pedro replied, “Thank you. I had to earn my job.”

Lee thought, 'I bet you did. Still, I need to know what your plans are.' He asked, “So, what are you going to do, now? Skip town, like your brother?”

Pedro answered, in a firm tone of voice, “No. Unlike my brother, Paciano, I cannot just leave. I am the guy that keeps this city in one piece. There are no elected officials here. No mayor. No councilmen. Nothing. I am it. Except for the firefighters at the island's fire department, and the doctors and nurses at the local hospital. But, those are whole other issues.”

“Still, because of this, I have to set an example. And I cannot leave without a damn good reason. And even those women at the Devil's Hotel, is not a good enough reason to leave. Even though they scare me.”

Lee said, in a comforting tone of voice, “Don't feel bad. That is the natural reaction by anyone who knows what these women are capable of. The fear will pass, for the most part, in a few hours.”

Pedro took a deep breath, he then slowly let it out. After which, he inquired, “I know. I have been in bad situations before. I should get a mental handle on this, by the time we finish lunch. So, how did you come to this city in the first place?”

Lee answered, “I was lured here. Someone dropped off a business card to the Devil's Hotel, in my mailbox, on the same day as Scorpius' broadcast.” He thought, 'I think it is best if I don't mention the Rats Nest flyer, or the small ring. That would bring to much attention to the bartender there, and I already owe her my life, for stopping that group, a few nights ago. And the ring is not important to our current situation.'

Pedro said, “So, that is who that was. The message makes sense now. And dare I ask who else, is here, in town? Besides, Revy, Shenhua, and Sawyer.”

Lee stated, “Rock and Lotton. Both as a women. The five Lagoon daughters, as older teenagers. Ranma, Akira, Natsuru, and their three older teenage daughters. Aeryn and Violin. Also, even though they are not with the group, Eda and Yolanda are here, as well. They are the blond babes that run that burger food truck, by the beach.”

Pedro commented, “So, that is where I saw those two women from. There are so many business that keep popping up here, it is hard to keep track of who is here just to live their life, and who is here for other reasons.”

“Still, Yolanda looks as hot as she did in that the youth omake. I am so glad I ripped those fansubs off the web, of those omakes, and watched them with my friends.”

Pedro thought, 'And I don't dig to deep, because I don't have time to track down every person that comes to town. Besides, more business usually brings more money. And I have been slacking on paying attention to the north quarter of the island, including the Devil's Hotel.

'I haven't be out this way in a year. And places like this just seem to pop up over night. Or, in the case of this diner. It just changes hands every few years. Though, it seems the people that own it now, seemed to do a good job remodeling. And I like they new name. Their name likely means they have a wicked sense of humor.'

'But, those are matters for later. Right now, I need to keep this conversation moving forwards, so I can figure out what I can do about this immediate crisis.'

'I wonder if Lee gets the joke. I doubt it, with everything else on his mind. Still, it is best not to distraction, considering he is giving me a lot of good information that I need to deal with this situation.'

Meanwhile, Lee thought, 'So, others know about the Black Lagoon series here. That is not surprising. That former mob member already dropped, the Two-hands, comment towards Revy.'

'Though, I do not have Police Chief Del Soto's trust, yet. So, I cannot ask who they are, just yet.'

Lee commented, “Yes. I made Yolanda younger and hotter due the super-soldier serum. I also replaced her lost right eye with a cybernetic eye that looks just like her left eye, and works just as well as her left eye. So, I think Yolanda is one of the few of those badass women that we don't have to worry about. Eda... I am not so sure.”

Pedro said, “While I agree with you that Yolanda is probably not pissed off at you, along with a few others. That doesn't made that they won't turn you over to their friends that do want your ass.”

Lee admitted, “You have a point there.”

Pedro begged, “And please, don't remind me about that damn super-soldier serum. You actually upgraded their badass abilities. Which is even more bad news for us.”

Lee replied, “You are preaching to the choir.”

Pedro looked down, as he quietly said, “I cannot believe my brother and I was so stupid tempt fate by joking that our home town was like Roanapur. We should have known better. Now, those women are here. And they brought their friends.”

Lee asked, “I feel for you. And I take it you are also well versed with Tvtropes website?”

Pedro looked up at Lee, as he answered, “Yes. And I guess we are going need that knowledge to survive this storm.”

Lee thought, 'Now, he is ready for my pitch.'

Lee stated, “I would think so. Now, I have plan. And I need your help. I am not asking that you put yourself, nor your men, in harms way. All you have to do is three things. Give me information, in exchange I will give you information. Keep the cops, and the crooks, away from these women. And I might need an alibi from time to time.

Pedro agreed, “Yes. Of course. I will order my boys to leave those women alone, and you alone. I don't want them to die. And I will have my boys impressed upon on the crooks to stay away, that it is in their best interest to stay away from those women and the Devil's Hotel.”

“Honesty, we may joke about it, but this town is not like Roanapur. It is not corrupt to the core. It use to be, until my brother and I cleaned it up from both sides of the law. But, it is not anymore. And the crooks that survive here know when to back off and not make waves.”

Lee said, “Good. That will solve a lot of problems. And prevent a number other problems for us.” He thought, 'Okay. He is on board. Though, it just occurred to me. It is so easy to use tropes for evil. I wonder if tropes are the dark side of genre savvy. I hope not.'

Pedro commented, “Also, a high body count might cause outside authorities to take notice of the situation. That is not something any of us one want happen.”

Lee replied, “You got that right.”

Pedro stated, “On information. Let's meet here at night, say around seven PM, every night, where we compare notes. It is clear enough to the Devil's Hotel, that you can drive here, without being suspicious. And those women don't know about me, yet. So, I am in the clear, at the moment.”

Lee said, “That is fine. If there is a problem. One of use will call the other ahead of time. You can leave a message at the front desk. Just use your first name, Pedro. I will call you from the police station, and talk to you. Or, leave a message with your men.”

Pedro responded, “That will work. The only problem I see with us meeting is if the women there come here.”

Lee commented, “Relax. I have not seen any of the women come in here to eat. They probably think this place is to low class, now that they have been rich for decades.”

Pedro chuckled. He then said, “Probably. And you made them rich, and they are still after your ass.”

Lee commented, “Yea. I know. They are being ungrateful bitches, on the matter. And even my friend, Sam, who doesn't know what is going on, prefers not to come here. He says the people that work here rub him the wrong way.”

Pedro said, “That works for both of us. The less people that know we are working together, the better.”

Lee agreed, “Yes. You got that right.”

Pedro inquired, “So, what does Sam look like?”

Lee stated, “He is the guy with the full groomed beard and ponytail, that is around me a lot.”

Pedro said, “Okay. I will also have my boys leave him alone, as well. Though, where do you two usually go during the day?

Lee answered, “Most of the time, either the Devil's Hotel, or the Rats Nest. Though, I come here, and the burger food truck, to eat.”

Pedro stated, “We will leave these places alone.”

Lee asked, “Good. By the way, what do you know about the Rats Nest bartender?”

Pedro admitted, “Not much, besides she hot, and she keeps to herself. She had been cooperative with me in a number of ways... And yes, she is great in bed.”

“The only thing she won't tell me, is her name. And I don't mind. The city is full of secrets. What is one more? Also, I allow her a lot of leeway at her bar, because some of the more foolish criminals in the city get themselves killed there. And it is not because of any assassinations. They just pissed off the wrong people. And the bartender cleans up the mess. Unless it is a large mess, then she calls us to help dispose of the body.”

Lee thought, 'So, he slept with the bartender. I don't blame her. And bartender is very clever. She used her her body to seduce both Del Soto brothers into leaving her alone. That is sharp. I will have to be more mindful of my actions, when I am around her. But, she likes me, and she already used a gun to defend me, so I am not worried that much about her.'

'Also, the cops are the body disposal service in this town. Who needs cleaners like Sawyer, when the cops are more than willing to do it for you, without arresting you. This city clearly works on the blue and orange morality scale. Still...'

Lee said, “I have seen that stupidity first hand, when some of the men at the bar got fresh with these women. Only, Sam, the bartender, and I were the only ones to walk away alive from the wrath of these women.”

Pedro inquired, “I heard a rumor that you were there, at the Rats Nest, during the massacre. What were the details of that massacre? The bartender did not give many details, herself, except that it was some women that did it. And she was clearly afraid of those women. And I have only seen that women afraid, a few times. And I am guessing that it was the women from the hotel that did the killing.”

Lee answered, “You are correct. The short answer is that Revy decided to take the five Lagoon daughters on a girls night out, and it got messy.”

Pedro nodded once, as he replied, “I bet. And why did you reincarnate Ginji, Yukio, Torch, and the vampire twins into a badass family, with Revy, Rock, Benny, Dutch, and Janet? That is insane.”

Lee shrugged, as he commented, “Come on. From an entertainment standpoint, it is cool idea.”

Pedro conceded, “Okay. You are right about that. Also, I will also keep an ear out anyone else that comes.”

Lee agreed, “Yes. That is a good idea. And that means I won't have to worry about that.”

Pedro pointed out, “Now, onto one of the more important matters of this situation. We both know, once the doors to the multiverse are opened. They cannot be closed.”

Lee commented, “That is true. In a general sense. There is not much we can do about that, now. This genie is not going back into her bottle.”

Pedro said, “You are probably right. Also, if you have problems, and you need an alibi. Me giving you an alibi would not be a problem. Just give me about two hours notice, and let me know when and where you want the alibi to be. And what you want the people near there to say you were at.”

Lee replied, “Thanks. I am happy with just about any alibi. Just as long as it is not arresting me.”

Pedro pointed out, “I wouldn't do that to you. You are too fucking hot at target. You are practically radioactive. If I arrested you, it would be a great set up for a massive jail break in, by the women, to get to you. With them killing my boys and me.”

Lee complimented, “You are clearly a very savvy man.”

Pedro responded, “Thank you. That is why I am still alive. Speaking of which. How the hell are you still alive? Those are insanely violent women. And you have been around them for weeks. It is like living beside tigers and lions.”

Lee inquired, “That is true, Chief Del Soto. And I will freely admit that I harbor no illusions about how dangerous these women are. Yet, have you seen the nineteen ninety-six action film, The Rock?”

Pedro answered, “Yes. Why?”

Lee explained, “The key to my continued survival is found in what the character, Stanley Goodspeed, said in that film about nerve gas. His comment can be applied to these women, as well.”

“The second you don't respect these women, they'll kill you. If you remember that, and follow that one rule, you will stay alive. Keep in mind. Yes. These women are dangerous, and crazy. But, none of them are wildly destructive without reason. As long as they are not paid to kill you, you don't get in their way, nor piss them off, you will be fine.”

Pedro complimented, “You make several good points.”

Lee responded, “Thank you. Though, a problem you briefly mentioned, that we need to keep in mind. If we are not careful, I could doom the planet.”

Pedro asked, “How so?”

Lee answered, “If I die before these women get their chance at vengeance, they might call in their friends to glass the planet. They do have friends with access to Star Destroyers and Command Carriers.” He mentally added, 'And with the cancer alone, that might happen.'

Pedro slightly paled, as he admitted, “You do have a point there. I will keep you being here a secret. I won't even tell my superiors on the mainland.”

Lee continued, “Good. Because, it gets worse. If the authorities get wind I am here, they will try to kidnap me. Learn everything they can from me. And then try to use me as a bargaining chip for reality traveling technology. And except for Rock, Violin, and a couple of others, these are not the type of women that negotiate. And they have the leverage to get their way.”

“If that happens, not only will I be screwed, but this could escalate to the point where the entire planet would be screwed.”

Pedro reign in his emotions, as he thought, 'I have learned a lot about you, Lee. But, I need to find out exactly what you are after.' He flatly inquired, “What is your end game?”

Lee answered, “Get a reality device and escape. If we play our cards right, in getting me a reality device, we will not only save this city, but our world. Because, if I leave. You can clandestinely leak to them, that I am the writer. And they will head into the multiverse, to follow me.”

Pedro pointed out, “That is not a bad idea. And good luck with that. But, I read your stories. Running rarely worked. You made those women very skilled trackers... Well, more so than they already were. And running didn't work for a number of people you wrote about. Such as Bao.”

“The only person I can think of that running did work for was Shane Caxton. And if they know about you, they probably read your stories, to learn exactly what you did to them, after the fact.”

“And they would also know about Shane, now.”

“Fortunately, I think Shane is fine because of the way the Black Lagoon anime ended, he was helping the Lovelace family. So, the he and Lovelace family worked out their differences, and the others could care less about him.”

Lee responded, “I agree. Shane and his family should be fine. I also understand that running will be a challenge. But, I got a very wicked plan to lose them. And it is still the best option we have. If I escape, they will likely follow me, with none of us likely ever coming back to this reality.”

“Let's be honest, the only thing that interests them about this reality is me. If I am gone, logic dictates that those women will follow me.”

Pedro flatly commented, “As I said, your plan is not a bad idea. But, experience has taught me that women and logic rarely mix.”

Lee questioned, in an annoyed tone of voice, “You got a better idea?”

Pedro admitted, “No.”

Lee stated, “Then, we will work with my plan. And plans, my friend, are something I have come to realize, that I am very good at.”

Pedro though, 'The way Lee is talking, concerns me. He voice and mannerisms have a hint of recklessness about him. But, he reasoning is sound. I agree with him assessment. We have to get him to another reality, for this storm to pass.' He responded, “Okay. Still, it is like we stuck in the Neverending Story from hell.”

Lee sarcastically replied, “Well, Bastian. We are not completely screwed to the wall, yet. But, we are close to it. Like I said. We have to be careful.”

Pedro agreed, “That is true. And are you doing a Neverending Story injoke with me?”

Lee complimented, “Yes. That was a good movie. And book. Your excellent taste in fiction continues to surprise me.”

Pedro said, “Thank you.”

Lee said, “I have a minor request.”

Pedro asked, “What is it?”

Lee stated, “That car your brother gave me is not exactly legal. It has only a vanity plate, and no any tags that I know of. I don't want to get into any trouble for driving it. That car is my only means of transportation on the island.”

Pedro said, “Don't worry about it. My brother gave it to you, so I am going to let you use it. I will speak to my officers, and they will leave you be, as long as you obey that normal traffic laws. You should be fine on the island. If you have any problems. Let me know.”

Lee replied, “Thank you. And I will. So, are there any really good men's clothing shops in town. I am talking for reasonably price nice men's clothing, and shoes.”

Pedro answered, “Sure. I know a few shops like that.” Pedro then told Lee about some men's clothing and shoe shops in town, and where they were located.

(_)

A few minutes later, Mary brought Lee and Pedro their lunches, and the two men ate, as they talked about more lighthearted matters. Like their tastes in fiction. And other interests.

By the time they finished their meals, they were quickly becoming friends.

They then got up, and Lee went to pay for their meals, and to tip Mary. Afterward, Lee used his car to take Pedro back to the Police Station.

When they got there, they headed into Pedro's office without a problem.

They then exchanged phone numbers and addresses. Lee gave Pedro his hotel room number, and phone number to the Devil's Hotel. And Pedro gave Lee the station's personal phone number, that he could be reached at, or Lee could leave a message from, if Lee needed to get in touch with him. With Pedro likely getting the message, as long as Lee called before six-thirty at night, when he left work for the day.

Though, if that was the case, they would likely see each other at the Last Resort Diner, at seven PM, for their meeting.

After Pedro and Lee were finished with their meeting, Lee left the police station, and got into his Cadillac.

Lee then drove his pink car back to the Devil's Hotel. After he parked his car, he walked into the hotel, and headed to his suite. Lee planned to spend the next few hours in his suite, resting, as he watched some TV. While he thought about how he could use Pedro in his plans. Also, Lee planned on checking out the clothing shops Pedro told him about.

When it reached six PM, he left his suite, and went down to the lobby, where he met Sam.

The two them went to the hotel restaurant to get some dinner. After everything Lee had been through, in the last few days, he was no longer that worried about the women, and he felt he could eat in the same room, as they were in, without them killing him by accident.

Sam and Lee then had a pleasant dinner at the bar counter. Though, Lee refused to tell Sam, nor anyone else what he had to talk to the police chief about. All he said, was it was a matter of formality on some questions concerning what happened on the night of the car chase he was in.

Fortunately, Sam, nor anyone else that asked, press the matter.

Lee and Sam then spent the rest of the evening watching several of the customers, including some of the badass women, do some karaoke, until it got late. Both of them then paid their bills, left some tips, and headed out of the hotel restaurant, and to their suites, to turn in for the night.

(_)

The next morning, after Lee met with Pedro, it was around ten AM, on a partly cloudy, cool day.

Along one of the interior roads of the island of De La Plata Podrido, a red, 1965 Pontiac GTO drove up into the parking lot of a local auto-repair shop in Plata Podrido. The windows of the car were rolled down, so the two women inside could enjoy the nice cool, autumn weather, as they had drove. Now, that they were where they wanted to be, the driver stopped the car, turned off the ignition, with each woman opening a car door, on opposite sides of the vehicle, with them both getting out of the car.

Rock got out of the driver's side, while Revy got out of the passenger side. Fortunately, Rock talked her lover out of bringing her pistols.

Revy was wearing her usual clothing, without her shoulder holsters and weapons. While Rock felt like doing something different. Rock was wearing a white blouse, and a light brown skirt.

After both women shut their car doors, Revy turned to looked at Rock from across the hood of the car, as she said, “I still don't see why we have to do this. The car runs fine. And you got to admit that chase a few nights ago was fun.”

Rock looked over at Revy, from across the car, as pockets her keys in a hidden pocket, in the folds of the left side of her skirt.

Rock then admitted, “Yes. It was. But, I don't want Benny, nor Dutch finding out about what happened. They both like working on this car. You do remember the bad moods that both Dutch and Benny were in right after Bob wrecked this car into the Yellowflag, all the way until it was fully repaired, a week later?”

Revy replied, “Yea. That was when, one of the few times in my life, Dutch gave me a look that honestly scared me.”

Rock responded, “Exactly. And that is why we need to make sure the car is fine. Melvin at the hotel said this guy is a good mechanic, and his rates are fair. Melvin also strongly warned us not to threaten him, nor his family.”

Revy promised, “I will be on my best behavior. So, what is this guy's name?”

Rock answered, “Hernan Pena. Now, let's get this over with.”

The two women then looked at the repair shop in front of them. They saw that the two door garage was completely open. There was also an interior section of the building attached to the left side of the left bay of the garage. There was even a door going into the interior part of the building.

The right bay was empty, while the left bay had a vehicle in it. The front of the car faced the two women. The hood of the car was up, with the engine showing.

They women sat that there was a man working on the engine, from the top of the engine.

The two women only saw the back of the man. But, they noted that the man was wearing blue coveralls. They did not see anyone else around.

Rock reached into her car and hocked the horn once, to get the man's attention.

Revy saw and heard this. And she giggled a little at her lover action.

In response, the man still had his back turned, as he said, in spanish, “Solo un minunte.”

Revy turned to Rock. Rock noticed this, she turned turned to look at Revy.

Rock answered Revy's unspoken question, “He said. In a minute.”

Revy replied, “Oh...”

Both women then turned to look back at the mechanic.

A few seconds later, the man leaned up, and used a rag by him to wipe his hands. He then grabbed some sunglasses, set in front him, on the left side of the car, and he put them on.

Finally, the man turned around, and faced the two women.

Rock and Revy could see he was a black haired hispanic man, with a full head of black hair that was cut short, but not too short. He was in his forties, and he was in good physical shape. He was average height for a man of his ethnicity, and he had a full, well groomed black beard, which was cut short.

He looked at the two women, then at the GTO between the women, then he focus back at the women.

The man looked upwards, and said in spanish, “Gracias.”

The man then looked back at Rock and Revy.

Rock politely requested, in english, “Excuse me, but do you speak english.” He thought, Melvin said this man spoke english, so that should not be a problem.”

The mechanic happily answered, in english, “Yes. It is practically a second language here in Plata Podrido. So, what can I do for you two fine ladies, on this lovely morning?”

Rock stated, “We are hear to discuss business.”

The man replied, “Of course.”

Revy bluntly asked, “Are you, Hernan Pena?”

The man kindly answered, “Yes. My name is Hernan Pena. It is nice to meet you both. If you would please follow me to my office. We can discuss business, there.”

Hernan turned, and walked into the interior section building, on the left side of the left open garage. Rock and Revy followed him into the building.

As Rock and Revy entered the building, through an open door, from the garage bay, they saw a hallway in front of them. The hallway run from their left to their right. They also noticed that the door to the outside, behind to their left, and on the other side of the hallway, was entrance to Hernan's office. Which had the door open.

Though, before entering the office, the two women looked to their right, and they saw down the hallway, there were closed door leading to other rooms. Including a door, on the left side of the hallway, that had a unisex restroom side on it, meaning it was the restroom. And all the down the right side of the hallway, was another door, that left to the back exit of the building.

The two women then walked into Hernan's office.

After they did so, they saw that Hernan was sitting behind his desk, in his black leather, cushioned, swivel armchair.

Meanwhile, even though there were two simpler, plastic chairs, with steel frames and without armrests, in front of the desk, Revy and Rock chose instead to remain standing. With Rock standing to Revy's right side.

Rock looked around Hernan's office.

The walls were painted white, the ceiling used a dropped down white tiles, and the floor was light brown tile linoleum.

To Rocks left side was a wall with a window, with the metal blinds closed, and a small table under the window. The wall, behind her had a closed window on the top part of the wall. The window was three feet by three feet, with the closed metal blinds, blocking the sunlight from getting into the room.

Though, the ambient sunlight that did make it through the blinds of the window provided enough light to see with.

The other three walls in front, and behind her, were just flat, plain white painted walls.

The desk was just a simple wooden top with metal legs and shelves. There was a wireless phone, on its base. And a computer, with monitor, keyboard and computer mouse, on top of the desk. There were wires going down into holes in the desk, where Rock guessed the computer tower was located.

There was also a bundle of cables, coming out the bottom side of the desk, to Rock's right side, with the cables going into in a set of wall sockets on the wall to her left. There were phone, power, and ethernet cables.

On the wall to Rock's right, there was a set of filing cabinet by the desk, set against the right wall, that faced the desk, which was right behind the cords that went into the wall sockets.

Though, what drew Rock's attention, about the room, was the table, under the window facing the outside wall, to Rock's left side. Rock noticed three pictures on the table.

The smallest picture showed Hernan, without his sunglasses. Along with this, the picture showed him standing, with him with the same groomed beard he had now, but the picture also showed that he had blue eyes. Beside Hernan, in the picture, sitting in a chair, was a pretty, much younger woman, whom was standing by Hernan. There were three small children, two boys and a girl in front of the two adults.

Rock thought, 'This must be his family.'

Rock took a closer look at Hernan's wife. She was beautiful, and slender. She had fair skin, long blond hair that loose, and went down to her waistline, brown eyes, and she looked to be at least fifteen years younger than Hernan was in the picture, with the woman appearing to be in her late twenties to early thirties.

Something in the back of Rock's mind was screaming to her, but she could not recall what it was. So, she moved onto the next picture.

The next larger picture looked like a cookout with Hernan's family, and other families. There were also some police offices, in uniform, in the picture. Everyone in the picture looked like they were having a great time.

The last picture, and largest picture, troubled her. It was a picture of several men, and a few women, all in combat fatigues, in two rows, in a jungle backdrop. One row as crouching down, the other was standing behind the first row.

The picture was faded with age. And it was clear that at one point, the picture had been folded up to be small enough to likely had once been kept in someone's pocket.

Rock did not see Hernan in the picture, as she thought, 'I cannot tell which of the men in the photo is Hernan, due to his full beard.'

She then noticed that all of those in the picture were wearing then yellow, blue, and red stripped armbands on their left upper arms.

Rock thought, with worry, 'Only one group wears armbands like that.'

Rock turned to Hernan, as she accused, “You are not mexican? Are you?”

Hernan had noticed Rock looking at the pictures. He looked her in her eyes, as he casually admitted, “No. I am from Venezuela. I have a somewhat checkered past.”

Revy picked up on the man's comment, as she asked, “What do you mean?”

Hernan calmly stated, “I was a former FARC member.”

Rock visibly tensed, as she thought, 'The only FARC member I have know is Roberta. This guy could be trouble. No wonder Melvin warned us about him.'

Rock to a quick glance at her lover, to see that Revy immediately look like she was getting ready for a fight. Rock then turned back to Hernan.

Hernan noticed the changes in demeanor in the women. He said, “Relax. I ditched that organization over two decades ago.”

Hernan saw both women begin to relax.

Rock asked, “Are you a communist?”

Hernan answered, “Not really. When I was a young man, in Venezuela, my friends and I were tired of getting nothing for our work, and our families work. While, the government and their rich allies got wealthier off of our hard labor. So, we joined FARC. What can I say? We were young, stupid, and foolish.”

Revy requested, with slight bluntness in her told of voice, “Care to explain how you ended up here?”

Hernan responded, “Not much to tell. In the late 1980's, my friends and I, were either fighting, or mostly just living in the jungle. During that time, we learned that our superiors were getting more and more deeply in bed with the drug cartels. The same drug cartels that were also making live harder for our families, through both FARC and their corrupt officials in governments of the region.”

“Then, one day, in the early 1990's, we learned we were being assigned to guard coca fields. And that was the final straw. We joined FARC to make a better lives for our families and ourselves. Not, to make things worse for our families.”

Rock thought, 'That is basically the same reason that Roberta quit FARC.'

Hernan looked upwards, with him not wanting to look them in their eyes as he recalled his past, “Given we were just grunts, our superiors were not that motivated to catch us. Though, if they did get us, they would have executed us for desertion.”

“Once we made it to Panama, we were in the clear. We split up from there, and I made my way here. And I have lived here ever since. I am now happily married to a wonderful woman named Maria, whom gave me three wonderful children.”

Hernan then looked directing at Rock and Revy, as he flatly finished his tale, “Still, I won't lie to you about the fact that during my time in the FARC, we did horrible things. But, we got out before things got a whole worse for that organization.”

Revy shrugged, as she replied, “I have heard worse.” She looked over to Rock, whom looked at her, and nodded once in agreement.

Revy and Rock then turned back to Hernan.

Rock thought, 'There is one question I still need to ask.'

Rock questioned, “Do the police know about your past? I do not want the police to impound you business, while our car is here.”

Hernan stated, “That is completely understandable. Yes. They know. Actually, I do much of the maintenance on their vehicles. I have a nice contract with the police. I am even friends with the police chief.”

“He and his brother even got me out of rough spot once, a number of years ago. I owe them big.”

“The police chief even invites me to his movie nights. Depending on what he shows, I sometimes get a little ribbing.”

“Anyway, if you stay here long enough, you find a lot people here have similar pasts. We have people from all around the world taking refuge here. We even have a former Somalian pirate turned priest, at a local church.”

Hernan overheard Revy mutter under her breath, “I am liking this town, more and more, by the minute.”

Rock stated, “That is all nice to know. Now to business at hand. We need you to just do a check on the engine, and maybe realign the tires and steering, if the car needs it. We treated the car kind of rough a few days ago, and we want to make sure it was okay.”

Hernan opened a drawer, in the middle of his desk. He pulled out a calculator, pen and paper. He then closed the drawer, and he started doing the figures.

Hernan worked on the what the cost would be for working on Rock and Revy's GTO, he said, “No problem. Let me guess, you are the ones that got into that chase, a few nights ago?”

Revy replied, “You heard about that.”

Hernan continued looked working on the figures, as he stated, “Of course. This is a small town. Word travels fast.”

Rock thought, 'I got to keep that mind. I need to tell the girls that we need to be more careful, or we could expose ourselves to more unwanted attention.'

Rock inquired, “So, do you accept U.S. cash?”

Hernan wrote something on a small piece of paper, and he hand it to Rock. He said, “Sure. I figure this is how much it will cost. And it should take a few days, to maybe a week. Leave me a phone number and contact information, and I will get back to you, when your car is ready.”

Rock looked that price. She then stated, “This seems fair.” She the pocketed the piece of paper, in the hidden pocket, in the folds of the right side of her skirt.

Rock then pulled out a pen and paper, from a hidden pocket in the folds of the left side of her skirt. The she wrote down the Devil's Hotel phone number, and their room. Next, she put away her pen, back into that pocket.

Rock pulled the keys to the GTO, from the pocket in hidden on the folds of the left side of her skirt. She then set both items on Hernan's desk, as she said, “We are staying at the Devil's Hotel. This is our hotel's phone number, and room number. Just leave message with the front desk, and they contact us.”

Hernan picked up the paper and read it. The text was in english. He then set the piece of paper back down on his desk. He look at the keys. Next, he turned to look at Rock, as he requested, “Thanks. By the way, I never got your names.”

Rock stated, “I am Rock. The women next to me, is Revy.”

Hernan leaned back in his chair, as he commented, “Rock, and Revy... Such odd names...”

For second Rock and Revy thought they had been found out, until Hernan continued, “To be honest with names like yours, it sound like a science experiment dealing with potential energy and kinetic energy.”

Rock thought over Hernan's comment, 'Of course. Our names now make complete sense to me. I am the Rock, the potential energy waiting to be released, by Revy, the kinetic energy. It is like I said to Revy years ago. I am the bullet. She is the gun. I will have to explain this to Revy, later.'

Rock smiled, as she commented, “Yea. You're right. I never thought about it that way. Thanks.”

Hernan replied, “You are welcome. Still, those are odd names for such two beautiful women.”

Revy scoffed, as she said, “I thought you were married.”

Hernan smirked, as he commented, “I am happily married. It just don't mean I cannot look. Just as long I don't touch.”

Revy replied, “Humph.”

Rock requested, “Can we use your phone to call for a ride?”

Hernan replied, “Sure.” He pulled the wireless phone off its base, and handed it to Rock.

Rock took the phone and dialed a number. As soon as the other end of the line picked up, she said, “Yea. We are finish here. We need to be picked up... Yes. It is where I told you it would me... Thanks. See you in a few minutes.”

Rock hung up the phone, and she handed it to Hernan.

Hernan put the phone back on its base, to recharge.

Revy commented, “Come on, Rock. Let's wait outside.”

Rock replied, “Sure.”

Hernan then silently watched the the two women in front of him, walked out of his office, through the hallway, into the garage bay, where they turned to their right, to head outside, and onto the parking lot.

(_)

Five minute later, Rock and Revy were standing outside in the parking lot, as they faced the road.

From his office, Hernan stood by his office window, that faced outside, as he crack open the metal blinds. He used his right index finger to opened one of the metal pieces of the blinds just wide enough to see out of them, without them seeing him.

Hernan watched as a blue seventies model, four door car, pick the two women up.

As Rock and Revy got into the backseat, Hernan saw a black haired asian woman in the front passenger seat. In the driver's seat was a smaller white haired fair skin woman. And in the back, by Revy and Rock, was a petite black haired fair skin woman.

After the women drove away, down the road, Hernan let go of the metal blinds. He looked back at his office, as he though about the women he had just met, and those he had just seen.

He then said to himself, “Nah.”

A second later, another thought occurred to him. He turned back to the window, and he cracked open the blinds, to look the red GTO sitting in his parking lot.

He said to himself, “Maybe.”

He went to his desk, sat down in his chair. Next, he picked up his phone.

He dialed a number. A few seconds later, the other end of the line picked up.

Hernan said into the phone, in spanish, “This is Hernan. I need to speak to Chief Del Soto... Good morning Pedro. It is Hernan. How are you this morning?... Good. Do you have a minute?...”

“Good. I had a couple of strange customers come into this shop this morning. They just left. It was a black haired, fair skinned japanese woman, and a tanned skin, asian redhead... Yea. Well, they dropped off their red 1965 Pontiac GTO, for some basic maintenance...”

“Yes. I am going to work on their car. Their money is as good as anyone else. Anyway, they said their names were Rock and Revy... Yea, from the number they gave me, they are staying at the Devil's Hotel, which is kinda fitting if they are who I think they are...”

“Yes, Revy looks exactly like the Revy from the series you showed us. Now, that was a cool series. Only her voice was different. And Rock looked like the Rock from the omake you showed us. And that omake was funny. Really funny to watch while slightly buzzed from the good beer you provided. Anyway, I just wanted to ask if you knew anything about these two women?...”

“So, they really are them. I don't see how that is possible... Yea. I read those strange stories on the web, you told me about. The wife looked funny at me when I mentioned those stories to her. Still, they were funny. But, why are they here?... So, he is in town, and they are after them. Better him, than us...”

“We better hope the maids don't show up. If that purple haired maid, Roberta, shows up, and she is anything like those I met in the intelligence units, we could be in some real trouble... Yes. I will keep quiet about this...”

“So, are we still on for movie night at you house tomorrow night?... Good. I'll see you there. And good luck.”

Hernan hung up the phone connection, and he placed the wireless phone back on its base.

Hernan leaned back as he though, 'This place is about to get a lot more exciting. I better tell Maria to keep a closer eye on our kids, and for her to be more careful when she is out, running errands.'

(_)

Less than a week later, Hernan, while working on other vehicles, found the time to finish his work on the GTO. He called up the Devil's Hotel, and he left a message at the front desk for Rock and Revy.

A few hours later, Rock and Revy showed up at Hernan's garage. They got the keys for the GTO from Hernan. They told him they were happy with his work. They paid him. And they left his auto-repair shop, in the GTO, without any trouble for anyone involved.

To be continued.

up
26 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Quite a Switch

Well, you went from a crazy hyped-up chase and adventure movie to a quieter detective story. Thanks for a chance to catch my breath. The character integration and interaction was great as usual. You gave us some more background, a look at the plan of action and those who may participate in it. You also put some hints about what may come in the future, what we have to look forward to in the rest of Book 5 and maybe into Book 6.
All in all, a great job.
Thank you again,