My Dreams of Spirit Dancer - Part 3

Printer-friendly version
Jessica.png

My Dreams of Spirit Dancer
by Teddie S.

 

Part 3

 
Caley had been abducted, and Luke, because of a dream, was able to save her. And, with Luke's help, and maybe even Sprit Dancer's, the cops were able to apprehend the guy. Caley, Little Fawn, and Little Fawn's mother spend a day shopping. Then Caley needed to face her fears, and she and Luke go visit where she was attacked. And, the gay question was asked and answered.

 

The Dress.

 

Finally Caley and I walked back to my house, and we found my mom out back. We sat with her, and she asked Caley, "Honey. Was everything okay?"

"Yes.", Caley replied. "Seeing those places was hard at first. But, realizing that he's in jail really helps. And, of course having Luke with me was a really big help."

"I'm glad honey. Something like that can be really traumatic. But, you have a lot of support."

"I know. Everyone has been really great."

"So Luke.", my mom said to me, "It sounds like Little Fawn is going to the Pow Wow?"

"I guess so.", I replied.

"Do we need to find you a new dance outfit?"

"What's wrong with the white one?"

"You did wear it to the last Pow Wow."

"So?"

"Everyone has seen it."

"Yeah. But, so what?"

"So, it just not done."

"Luke.", Caley said, "It's a woman's thing."

I hadn't noticed the sly smile on Caley's face, until I turned and looked at her as I said, "So, what do we do?"

My mom, as she got up, said, "I'll be right back."

Then I looked back at Caley, and asked, "Just what are you grinning at?"

"Oh. Nothing.", she replied as her smile got bigger.

"You and my mom are up to something."

"No we're not."

"Oh yes you are."

I sat there and tried to figure out what these two were up to.

My mom was back fairly quickly, and she was carrying a garment bag draped over her arm. She walked in front of me, and said, "After the Pow Wow, where you danced with Caley, she and I talked. And, we both knew that you'd want to dance again. And, we figured that you should really have your own dress. So, . . . "

She unzipped the garment bag, and removed a dress from it. I just sat there and looked at it, and did something that I hadn't done in a long time. I cried. I'm a guy, and I cried about a dress.

The dress was beautiful. I reached out and touched it. It was buckskin. It was a white buckskin dress with a lot of fringe work. And, the beading on it was just fantastic. With tears in my eyes, I looked at my mom, then at Caley, and said, "No. You shouldn't have. It's too much."

"Honey.", my mom said, "I knew after I saw you dance with Caley that you were going to dance again. I knew your cousin had more dresses, but I know how special it can be to have your own. Caley and I talked to your aunt right after the Pow Wow, and we decided that you needed to have your own dress to dance in.

"So, I contacted the woman that made most of Nora's dresses, and the three of us met with her. We talked with her about you, and she asked a number of questions. She also said that she had watched you and Caley dance at the Pow Wow, and couldn't believe how you moved. She said it was just like a girl that had been dancing all her life. And, that she would love to make you a dress. If you look closely at the back you'll see your two spirits, a wolf and a fawn, in the bead work. So, . . . "

"But, mom it's too expensive."

"No honey. You deserve this. You deserve to look your best when you dance."

I looked at Caley. She was grinning. And, I said, "And you. You kept a secret this long?"

Still grinning, she said, "It was hard. But, worth it. And, like your mom said, you more than deserve it. Even more now. There's also a new shawl and headdress."

I just sat there shaking my head.

"Honey.", my mom said, "Why don't you try it on?"

I took a deep breath, looked at her, got up, took the dress from her, and slowly walked to the house. As I walked, I was thinking. 'This is just too much. They really shouldn't have done it.'

I walked up to my room, and undressed. I slipped on a pair of panties, and one of my bras. One of my bras? I'm a boy. Why do I have bras? How am I doing this so easy? But, something was feeling good. It was like what I was doing was a good thing.

I found the nylons and stuffed the bra cups. Then I slipped on the dress. It felt so nice. I got a pair of fancy moccasins out of my closet, and put them on. And, just as I was ready to go back downstairs, I heard someone coming upstairs, and mom and Caley walked into my room. I looked at them, and asked, "What's going on?"

Mom said, "We decided that we needed to take some pictures of you in your new dress. So, we decided to come up and do it right."

"Do it right?"

"Do your hair and makeup."

I thought for a second, and said, "Okay. Why not."

"Take the dress off so we don't get any makeup on it."

I took the dress off, and my mom went to work on my hair. But, just as she was getting ready to braid it, she asked, "Do you still have the strings of beads that Mrs. Redcloud wove into your hair for the last Pow Wow?"

"Sure.", I replied. "They're in my top drawer."

"Caley. Honey.", my mom said. "Would you see if you can find them?"

"Sure.", Caley said. As she walked over to my chest of drawers and retrieved the strings of beads out of the top drawer.

Mom then wove the strings of beads into my hair as she braided it. When she was done, she stood back, and asked, "So, how does she look?"

Caley looked at me and said, "That looks very nice. But, you know, with his fine features, his eyebrows need to be thinner."

Mom looked at me, and I was hoping that she wouldn't agree with Caley. But, I was wrong. Mom said, "You know. I think you're right. Let's go to my room, and see what we can do. Little Fawn, bring your makeup case with you."

Carrying my makeup case, I followed my mom and Caley to my mom and dad's room, and suffered the plucking of my eyebrows. When she was done, she said, "Well Caley. Any better?"

Caley smiled, and said, "Much. Much better."

I turned and looked in the mirror, and didn't really like what I saw. They were too thin. Or, at least I thought so. But, I didn't say anything.

Mom was then going to do my makeup, and I said, "Mom. Let me try?"

"Sure.", she said.

I opened my makeup case and took out what I thought I'd need. Remembering what Mrs. Redcloud had done, what the clerk at the makeup store had done, what Caley had taught me, and with guidance from my mom, I started with a foundation to even out my complexion. Then went over my eyebrows with a dark eyebrow pencil to bring them out. Then some mascara to darken and thicken my eyelashes. I wasn't sure about the eyeliner, so I had my mom do that. A lip liner pencil was next to outlined my lips. Then using a little brush I applied a very pale pink lipstick to my lips.

As I was doing this, I was watching Little Fawn appear. I loved what I was seeing. I loved seeing her looking back at me.

Then I looked at mom and Caley, and asked, "Well. How did I do?"

Mom looked at me, nodded yes, and said, "Not bad for a first try. In fact, I think that you look good enough for the pictures."

"You look great.", Caley said. "I think that there's really a girl under that boy."

I put the dress back on. Then Caley tied the choker around my neck. We went back outside, there was a box on the table, and my dance fan was on it. Mom said, "That box is also for you."

I opened the box, in it was the new headdress, and shawl. Both were very pretty. Again, I said, "Guys. This is really too much."

I guess my voice sounded like I was going to cry, as Caley said, "Don't you dare cry. You'll ruin your makeup."

I looked at her, smiled, and said, "I'll try not to."

I ended up posing for a number pictures by a group of pine trees in our backyard. I few standing and a few sitting. And, since mom was using a digital camera, we went in the house and looked at them on the computer. As we went through them, mom and Caley picked out a couple that they really liked. I just looked at the pictures, and still couldn't believe how good I looked as a girl.

The Second Pow Wow.

Saturday morning I was again sitting in Mrs. Redcloud's beauty shop chair. And, she was working on my hair. This time as she braided my hair, she worked gold ribbons into it. And, then she braided leather over the last three inches of my braids, and left the ends of the leather hang as fringe. And, it looked really cool.

Then, as before, she did my makeup. First a foundation, then my eyebrows. No plucking this time. Then she used a little pink eye shadow. Then the mascara, and a light touch of eyeliner. She outlined my lips, and used the pale pink lipstick again.

When I looked in the mirror, there was that girl again. Smiling back at me. I really liked what I saw. As I was about to thank her, she said, "I have something for you."

"You don't need to do that." I said.

"I know. But, these will look so good on you."

She opened a small box and showed them to me. A pair of earrings, and they were gorgeous. Each one had three pieces of turquoise shaped as teardrops and set in silver, and hanging from each teardrop were two feathers made of silver. She removed the studs from my ears, and slipped the hooks of each earring into the hole. She looked and smiled, and said, "Yes. You are meant to wear these."

My mom, who had been sitting there, looked, and said, "Yes. Those are very pretty."

I turned and looked in the mirror, and they were very pretty. But, I said, "Mrs. Redcloud. I can't accept these."

"Honey.", Mrs. Redcloud said. "I wore these when I danced at your age. These are meant to be seen on a pretty girl. And, you're that pretty girl."

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

"Now don't cry. You'll ruin all of my work."

"Sorry."

"You know. Those earrings that you wore at the last Pow Wow, would really set these earrings off."

"How would I wear two sets of earrings?"

"We'd have to pierce your ears a second time."

I looked at my mom. She looked at me and just nodded yes.

I told Mrs. Redcloud to go ahead. And, shortly I had two piercings in each ear. And. as we were leaving I gave Mrs. Redcloud a big hug.

When we were back home, from the neck down I was still Luke. But, not for long. I headed upstairs to change into Little Fawn. As I ran upstairs, my mom said, "Call me before you put on the dress."

I shouted back, "Okay mom."

When I got upstairs, I went into the bathroom, and looked at myself again in the mirror. I was wearing the earrings that Mrs. Redcloud had given me, and could see the two studs that she'd added. I liked what I was seeing.

I walked to my room, completely undressed, and slipped on a pair of panties, and a bra. I took the nylons and stuffed my bra. Then I called down to my mother and told her I was ready to put the dress on. She said that she'd be right up.

I heard my mom come upstairs, and go into her bedroom. A minute later she walked into my room, and she was carrying the bag from 'The Bridal Salon'. She set the bag on my bed, looked at me, and said, "Those earrings really do look good. Let's replace the new studs with the silver and turquoise earrings that you wore last time. I think they'll look really good together."

Mom removed the studs that Mrs. Redcloud had just put in my ears, and carefully put in the silver and turquoise ones that I'd worn before. There's no mirror in my room, so I couldn't see them.

Then mom picked up the bag from the bridal shop, and said, "I know you're going to be dressing more and more like a girl. And, I think that maybe you need to feel more like a girl."

"Mom.", I asked. "How can I feel more like a girl? When I'm dressed as Little Fawn, I think I'm feeling like a girl feels. And, with Nora as my spirit guide, I really think I am."

"I know honey. But, I don't think stuffing your bra with nylons is what many girls do."

"But, I don't have breasts."

"I know. So, I bought you something when we were out shopping the other day."

I looked at her a little puzzled, as I said, "What?"

She walked over to the bag from the bridal shop, took out two boxes, and set them on the bed. Then she said, "Come on over here."

I walked over, and when I got there she said, "I think that these will feel better than the nylons in your bra. And, if you don't like them, we can take them back."

Still puzzled, I asked, "Mom. What are you talking about?"

She picked up one of the boxes, opened it, and took out something that looked like what I thought a girl's breast would look like. I've never really seen any. Remember I'm only sixteen.

Then I asked, "What are they?"

"Honey.", my mom said. "They're breast forms. They're made to look and feel like a woman's breasts."

I just looked at it.

Mom continued with, "I thought that you might like them. They'll feel just like real ones do."

"Ah. . . . I . . . I don't know." I said.

"Why?"

"I'm not sure. But, . . . I guess . . . maybe I could try them."

"Okay. Remember we can always take them back."

"Okay. I'll try them."

"Take the nylons out of your bra."

I did as she asked. Then she took the form from the box she was holding, and carefully placed it in my right bra. And, as she did, she said, "They have an adhesive on them that will hold them in place."

"They'll come off. Won't they?", I asked.

"Yes honey, they will. It only keeps them from shifting around. And, I only got you a small. I think it will work with your build and age."

Then she took the other form and placed it in my left bra. Then stood back, looked at me, and said, "Those actually look better than the nylons. Let's go to my room so you can see."

I started walking to her room, and just stopped in my tracks. Mom asked, "What wrong?"

"They . . . They moved.", I said.

"I told you that they would move with you."

"But, it feels weird. And, they're heavy."

"You'll get use to them."

We walked over to my mom and dad's room, and I looked in her vanity mirror. It was interesting. They did look better then stuffing the cups with nylons. And, I could see the nipples through the thin material of the bra. Then, I said, "I guess I can try them today and see if I like them."

"Good. I think you'll be happy that you did.", mom said.

We went back to my room, and she helped me put my dress on, and tied the choker around my neck. She smiled, and said, "You look pretty. Very pretty. You finish up. I've got to get ready."

After she left I finished getting ready. I put on the fancy moccasins with leggins, and moved the Eagle feathers from my old headdress to the new one. I made sure that I had everything, my headdress, my shawl, and my fan. And, went downstairs and waited for mom to finish. My dad had some business at the casino, and was going to meet us at the Pow Wow.

When mom came downstairs, she was wearing her fanciest dress, a fancy pair of moccasins, and a headdress that I'd never seen. I looked at her and said, "Mom you look great."

"Thanks honey.", she said. "I just wanted to look really nice today."

A short time later we were getting out of the car at the Pow Wow grounds, and mom helped me put on my headdress. Then we walked into the grounds. Everyone we saw greeted us, and most knew me.

We knew were dad would look for us so we headed in that direction. I was also looking for Caley or really Laughing Maiden. When we got to the picnic table that we usually used, Laughing Maiden and her family were already there. I saw her first, and she looked very pretty. Even though her broken arm was in a sling. She was wearing one of her very pretty dance outfit.

She saw us walking up, came over to us, and said, "Don't you two look great." Then she gave each of us a hug.

"Thanks honey. So, do you.", my mom said. And, she continued to walk towards the table.

Laughing Maiden and I decided to walk around a bit. And, she said, "That dress really looks fantastic on you, and I just love those earrings."

"Me too.", I said. "Mrs. Redcloud gave then to me."

"Gave them to you?"

"She said something about them needing to be seen on someone that's dancing."

"And, you got another piercing."

"Yeah. They thought I'd look good with two earrings."

"You do. You really look fantastic."

"Thanks. You look great too."

Sounding a little down, she said, "Yeah. With a broken arm."

"You'll see. It'll heal quickly."

"I hope, it's already beginning to itch."

We kept walking, and with each step, I could feel the forms move. I thought about stopping and getting something to drink, but we didn't. But, I didn't want to take the chance of spilling something on my dress. Finally we wandered back to the main area, and were there just in time for the Grand Entry. Laughing Maiden didn't really want to do the Grand Entrance, but I talked her into joining me, even if she didn't dance.

We participated in the Grand Entrance with everyone else. I danced and she just walked with me. I figured that she didn't want to dance with her am in a cast. Then we went and sat with our parents to watch the dancing. We got there just in time to watch Kimi dance. This was one of our informal Pow Wow's, so it was a fun time. Everyone was just dancing for a score and not awards.

Kimi looked cute in her outfit, and did really well. I looked at Laughing Maiden, and said, "You better watch out. Kimi's going to beat you one day."

Kimi ran up to us, and said, "Did you see me dance."

"We sure did." I said. "And, you were really good."

"Really?"

"You sure were."

She ran away to find some of her friends. And, I said, "She's sure cute."

"You should try living with her.", Laughing Maiden said.

"No thanks. My older brother was enough."

"How's he doing?"

"Okay I guess. He's off somewhere doing an internship."

"Does he know about Little Fawn?"

"I don't think so."

I saw my dad down by the announcer's area, and it looked like he and a couple of the other guys were carrying some boxes. They placed the boxes right at the announcers stand. And, I noticed he was dressed in his best clothes.

He came up to where we were, and sat with us. And, we watched the rest of the dancers. Then the announcer said that it was time for the fun dance, and that anyone that want to learn Native American dancing was to come down to the arena. Laughing Maiden got up, grabbed my hand, and dragged me down to the area. Maybe she did want to dance tonight. There were a number of people who wanted to learn, and by the time we got down there they were all teamed up with someone. Laughing Maiden and I didn't have anyone. Then Kimi came running up to us, and said, "Little Fawn. Little Fawn. Will you teach me to dance as good as you do? Please."

"Kimi.", I said. "You already dance very nicely."

"But, you dance better. Please."

Laughing Maiden just watched while I spent about a half an hour having fun with Kimi, teaching her some new steps. And, it was fun. Finally the announcer said, "Ladies and gentlemen. Would everyone please go back to your seats. We have something very special to do."

I started walking back towards where we were sitting, but Laughing Maiden took my hand, and said, "Not you."

"Why not.", I asked.

"Just come with me and you'll see."

I was thinking, 'Now what?'

She pulled me over to the announcers stand. I saw my parents, Laughing Maiden's parents, my aunt and uncle, White Antelope, the tribal Chief, all the tribe elders, the tribal police chief, and the county sheriff standing there.

Then it hit me, and I thought, 'No. Please no. I don't want any recognition.'

At about the time we were walking up to the announcers stand, everyone else was back in their seats. I looked at my parents, and said, "I hope this isn't what I think it is."

"Honey.", my mother said. "The Tribal Council wanted to do this. And, we couldn't say no."

"But, mom. I don't want any recognition."

"I know. But, please just go along with it."

Laughing Maiden took me aside, and whispered, "Honey. I love you. I love what you did for me. Let them do their thing. And, it should all quiet down."

I looked at her, and said, "I have you and that's all the recognition that I want. But, I'll do this for you, and only you. But, I want you standing with me."

She smiled, and said, "Try and stop me."

The Chief walked out to a microphone, that was placed a short distance out into the arena, turned to the crowd, and after getting every ones attention, said, "Most of you know that we had an incident here that was kept from becoming worse by the quick actions of one of the younger members of the tribe.

"I could introduce you to Little Wolf. But, I'd be only half right. Little Wolf is a special person, a two-spirit person. If you are a Native American, you'll understand what that is. If not, there is a page in the Pow Wow's program that will explain it. But, a two-spirit person is special to Native Americans. They have the spirit of both a male and female in them. They become our great visionaries, dreamers, and medicine givers. And, even warriors.

"Tonight you will meet Little Wolf, but you will really meet his feminine spirit, Little Fawn. Little Fawn is also a dancer. And, a very good one. And, you may have seen her dancing. But, on the morning of the incident, it was Little Wolf that came to the rescue of Laughing Maiden, when she was brutally attacked in one of our parks. In fact, I'm happy to see that Laughing Maiden is standing here with Little Fawn.

"So, Little Fawn would you please come and join me."

I hesitated, but Laughing Maiden pulled me toward where the chief was, and then stood there with me. There was a big round of applause, and I was nothing but embarrassed. If I hadn't promised Laughing Maiden that I'd do this, I'd be running away right now.

The Chief continued with, "Little Fawn didn't know we were going to do this, and I know that she is a very modest person. So, I'm not going to ask her to say anything. But, from what the police chief has told me, what she did took a very bad man off the streets. And, it appears that this man may be charged in the murder of one of our tribe member's, Spirit Dancer."

You could hear a murmur run through the crowd. And, I saw my aunt start to cry.

Then he went on with, "Native American people don't believe in giving the person being honored gifts, but the person being honored has a Give Away Ceremony. They present gifts to others. Since Little Fawn didn't know about this, her family arranged the ceremony. So, I'm going to turn the microphone over to Little Fawn's father."

My father walked up to the microphone, said, "Thank you Chief." Then he looked at me, and said, "Honey. We are very proud of what you've done. And, you didn't know that this was going to happen. Please don't be mad at us. But, your family, Laughing Maiden's family, and the Tribal Council, felt that you deserved recognition for what you've done."

Then I heard drums, and the singers started singing an honor song. I bent down and whispered to Laughing Maiden, "You don't know how embarrassed I am?"

She whispered back, "I know. But, I'm so proud of you."

I squeezed her hand. When the singers were done, a group of men brought some boxes up to the microphone. And, my mother and father started handing out gifts. They gave some very pretty handmade blankets to the Chief, White Antelope, all of the tribal elders, the police chief, and the county sheriff.

Then they walked over to Laughing Maiden, and gave her a really pretty dancer's fan. She started crying, and gave both of them big hugs. They gave Laughing Maiden's parents, and my aunt and uncle, each a very pretty piece of pottery. Then my dad called up the singers and drummers, and handed each of them a box. The men got a blue one and the women got a pink one. I didn't know what was in them, but I'll bet it was very nice.

My dad went back to the microphone, and said, "Chief. I'll turn it back over to you."

The Chief walked back up to the microphone, and said, "Little Fawn. I want to thank you and your parents for the very nice present. And, again from the Tribal Council and the whole tribe, I want to thank you for what you did. And, I think we're now ready for the closing. But, I'll bet that if the audience stays around after the closing, that the drummers, singers, and dancers, like they usually do, will put on a great impromptu show."

We watched as the Eagle Staff was taken down, and I was confused as they walked over to me, and handed it to me. This is usually carried by a veteran, not a sixteen year old. After one of the elders gave the prayer, and we, the dancers, the singers, the drummers, and the elders, were ready to leave the dance circle. I looked around, and saw one of the veterans that had lost an arm during one of the Middle East wars. Laughing Maiden and I walked over to him, and I handed him the staff. He looked at me, and said, "No. You need to carry this."

I looked at him, smiled, and said, "No. You are much braver than I am. You deserve the honor. But, I'll walk with you."

As we led everyone out of the dance circle, Laughing Maiden walked on one side of the veteran, and I was on the other. When we were out of the circle, the veteran handed the Eagle Staff to one of the elders, turned to me, and hugged me. Then, just said, "Thank you."

I just smiled at him, and said, "No. Thank you."

Just then a couple of the dancers grabbed Laughing Maiden and me, and pulled us back into the dance circle. There were a lot of dancers, singers, and drummers there. We were pushed into the middle of the circle that they made. And, the drummers and singers started. Laughing Maiden and I looked at each other and started dancing. We didn't have our shawls or fans with us, but we danced the Shawl Dance. After a few minutes we were joined by more and more dancers.

As I was dancing, I felt someone guiding me. Was Spirit Dancer here?

Then, everyone danced the Round Dance. And, as we were dancing, Kimi came running out to us and joined in. She was cute, as usual, and she danced really well.

The impromptu dancing probably lasted a good half an hour. Once it broke up, I took Laughing Maiden and Kimi to get something to drink. And, Kimi walked between us, holding our hands. We saw a lot of people, and got a lot of smiles.

After we were back with our parents, I said, "You know I'm mad at all of you for pulling this." Then I looked at Laughing Maiden, pointed at her, and said, "And, I'm especially mad at you."

She just grinned at me. Then Laughing Maiden's mother said, "Honey. You probably saved our daughter's life. And, there's no way that we can thank you enough."

I just looked at her, then said, "Just having Laughing Maiden here is enough thanks."

Just then the Chief and a couple of the elders walked up, and the Chief said, "Little Fawn. Again, I want to thank you, from the whole tribe, for what you did. If there's anything that we can do for you just ask."

"Thank you Chief.", I replied. "I will."

Laughing Maiden and I then took a little walk to say good night. As we walked, I said, "My mother got me something strange."

"What?", she said. "The breast forms."

"You knew!?"

"Yes. We talked about it after she'd purchased them. She was worried that you'd be upset that she got them. I told her, that you might be surprised, but not upset. Was I right?"

I looked at her, shook my head, and asked, "You're getting to know me too well."

She smiled, and said, "Do you really mind that I know you so well?"

I pulled her close, kissed her, and said, "Yes."

"Liar.", she said. And she returned the kiss. A nice long kiss.

On the way home, there was one of the programs from tonight laying on the backseat of the car. I usually don't bother to look at these, as they are usually the same. But, I picked it up and started looking through it. When I turned to the middle, there was a full page picture. A full page picture of me. Me in my new dress sitting on the ground by a group of pine trees in my backyard. The opposite page was the detailed description of what a two-spirit person is.

I wasn't mad. But, I wasn't happy. And, I said, "Mom. Is this picture in the program why you took the pictures?"

She turned and looked at me, and said, "Yes and no. They wanted a picture of Little Fawn for the program. And, I also thought that it would be fun to have some for ourselves. And, Caley wanted one too. Why?"

"I just wish I'd know about all of this beforehand."

"Would you have come?"

"Probably not."

"Are you sorry that you did?"

"No. Not really. I had fun, but didn't like getting embarrassed. And, I think all of those gifts cost you too much."

After we'd gotten home, my mom was in my room and helping me out of the dress, and I said, "Mom. I really like them."

"Like what honey?", she asked.

"The breast forms."

"I thought you would."

"They felt a lot better than the nylons. And, it was like they became part of me."

"When you remove them. Be sure you place them back in their boxes to protect them."

 

The Police Station.

 

The following Tuesday, when I came down for breakfast, my dad was still home, and I asked, "Dad. Why are you still home?"

"We got a call from the tribal police this morning.", my dad said.

"Oh?"

"They want to meet with us, the Tallchief's, and your aunt and uncle at ten. They have some news for us."

"Oh?"

"I guess they've found out something about the guy that attacked Caley."

"This could be interesting."

"Yes it could."

Just before ten we were walking into the tribal police department. My aunt and uncle were already there. And, Caley and her family joined us soon afterwards. The two detectives that we'd spoken to at the hospital came out and took us back to a conference room. Both the county sheriff and the tribal police chief were waiting for us. As was another man.

After all the introductions, in which we found out the other man was an FBI Special Agent, the tribal police chief got up, and said, "We have some very good news for you." Then looking at me, he continues with, "But, first, Little Wolf, we want to thank you for what you did to save Miss Tallchief. If you hadn't have acted as you did, there's no telling what would have happened. Some of what we're going to tell you won't be released to the public until the trial."

"Trial.", Caley said.

"Yes Miss. The man that attacked you will be going to trial."

"So, she'll have to testify?", my dad asked.

"Maybe not. But, we'll get to that." Then the police chief looked at the two detectives, and said, "Gentlemen. The floor is all yours."

The two detectives stood, and the one from the tribal police department, said, "Thank you chief.

"First. We tracked down a lot of information on the man that attacked Miss Tallchief. And, it appears that he is a serial rapist. When we found where he was living and obtained a search warrant, we found a number of interesting things. He kept information on all the girls that he'd raped. So, we were able to contact other police departments, and they are really interested in him when we're through with him.

"We also found a number of pictures of Miss Tallchief and Little Fawn taken at one of the Pow Wows, and other places. So, it appeared that he had been stalking her for a while. We think he was also interested in Little Fawn, but couldn't track her down. Only because, Little Fawn was really Mr. Overfield.

"There were a lot of notes about him following Miss Tallchief, and in particular about her early morning runs that followed the same route. And, how he was going to grab her, take her to his car, and to where he was living. We felt that this was an escalation of what he does. Going from rape, to kidnaping, and who knows what else. And, it was just like what happened, until Mr. Overfield stepped in.

"All I can say is, that what Mr. Overfield did couldn't have turned out any better. Not only did he stop something that was not going to turn out good, but he provided us a way to get DNA evidence. And, that may have solved a number of other cases, as well as a very important one for us.

Looking at the detective from the sheriff's office, he continued with, "Jim. Would you fill them in on the rest."

Jim, the detective from the sheriff's office, then said, "Thanks Bill. Yes, Mr. Overfield. What you did, solved one of our toughest cases. Not to mention bringing a very bad felon to justice.

"Once we has his DNA, which was not on file anywhere, and shared it on the Federal data base, it provided hits in a number of unsolved rape cases. But, more important, it provided a link in the murder case of Miss Nora White-Owl."

I heard my aunt gasp, and start crying. My uncle and mom tried to comfort her.

The detective continued with, "I know this opens some old wounds, but please realize that we have a very good case against him. Since the rape and murder of Miss White-Owl happened on a reservation it's a Federal crime. And, that's why the FBI is here. After looking at our case they felt we have a very good case against Mr. Fleming. So, the county district attorney has been working with a federal prosecutor, going over our reports and the evidence with a fine tooth comb. They wanted to make sure that everything is in order, and it is.

"This afternoon the district attorney and the federal prosecutor are going to file charges against Mr. Fleming for felony murder with a death penalty clause in Federal court. This is because he caused Miss White-Owl's death during the act of committing a felony, her rape. When he's found guilty, and he will be, he will get a minimum of life with no chance of parole. And, of course he could be sentenced to death.

"He's currently being held without bond.

"The reason that we brought all of you in today, is that you are all interested parties in one way or another in both cases. And, we wanted you to know about the charges being filed before the news media got a hold of it. We feel it will be front page news.

"Now, the other case is Miss Tallchief 's abduction."

Caley was sitting next to me, and had been holding my hand through all of this, and when the detective said her name, she really squeezed my hand.

He continued with, "Miss Tallchief. We feel that if the felony murder case against Mr. Fleming goes as we think it will, that your case, unless you want it to, will never come to trial. You and Mr. Overfield may have to testify at his trial as to what happened to you in the park`. But, maybe not. We feel that we have enough evidence that we probably won't need your testimony.

"Both of these crimes happened on reservation land, and only the felony murder case would be held in Federal court. The other would be a tribal matter. Does anyone have any questions?"

Everyone shook their heads no. Then he looked at the sheriff, and asked, "Sheriff. Do you have anything that you'd like to say?"

The Sheriff stood, and said, "I know all of this has been hard on you. And, we appreciate all that you have done. And, all I wanted to do is say to all of you is thank you."

As we were getting ready to leave, everyone was standing around talking. I was standing with Caley, when the FBI agent, Mr. Scott Powell, came up to me, and he said, "Mr. Overfield can I have a minute."

"Sure.", I said. "But make it Luke or Little Wolf."

"Okay Luke. When I first heard your story from the two detectives, I was very skeptical. Dreams, Guardian Angels, and two-spirited people just didn't make sense to me. But, the more they told me about you and how you found Miss Tallchief, the more I thought it possible.

"I attended your Pow Wow on Saturday, my first, and found it very interesting. Especially that they accept you as a girl, and gave you the respect that they did. I also read the information in the program, and it made me curious. So, I did some on-line research. And, it opened my eyes to some of the Native American beliefs. And, gave me more respect for your people."

"Thank you." I said. "It's nice to see someone trying to understand us. My father isn't Native American, and he's still learning. It's not easy to understand something that is foreign to your background. I knew what a two-spirit person was, but is still somewhat strange to me. And, I'm still learning about it."

Just then there was a knock on the door. The tribal police chief walked over, opened the door, and was handed a note. As he read it, I saw a smile on his face, and when he was done reading the note, he said, "Jim. You may want to read this before everyone leaves."

The detective from the tribal police department walked over to his chief, took the note, read it, and then handed it to the sheriff's detective. The sheriff walked over, as did the FBI agent, and read the note. I was seeing a bunch of smiles. I was wondering what was going on.

The police chief said, "Ladies and gentlemen. Before you leave, we have something to tell you.

"We just received a note from the county district attorney. He and the federal prosecutor presented all the evidence against him to Mr. Fleming and his attorneys. And, then told them that they were going to file the felony murder charge with a death penalty clause against him today in the case of Miss White-Owl.

"After a discussion with his attorney, Mr. Fleming agreed to plead guilty, if the death penalty was taken off the table. The DA and prosecutor agreed. So, it looks like, if the judge agrees, that Mr. Fleming will be spending the rest of his life in a Federal maximum security prison with no chance of parole."

My dad asked, "Is there a chance that this judge won't go along with it?"

"No. I think this judge will go along with it. He's tough on people like Mr. Fleming."

"Good."

My aunt looked at my dad, and asked, "What does this mean?"

"Sheila.", my dad said. "Basically it means that it's all over. There won't be a trial. There will be a sentencing before the judge. And, then Mr. Fleming will be off to prison."

My aunt broke down in tears. My mother and my uncle held her. Caley and I hugged. Caley's parents came over to us, and we exchanged hugs. Then everyone thanked the police officers for all their hard work.

My family, Caley's family, and my aunt and uncle went to the casino for lunch. It was like a celebration lunch. But, no one talked about the case. Afterwards we all went back to my house. The adults went out on the deck, and Caley and I went further out into the yard to a secluded group of pines, where my dad had placed a bench. And we sat.

We sat quietly for a long time, then I asked her, "Are you happy how this all worked out?"

"Kind of.", she replied. "Actually I wish none of it would have happened."

"Me too."

"Do you really think the judge will go along with the plea thing?"

"The plea agreement. The cops, and my dad, seem to think he will. So, I don't see why not."

"Good."

She cuddled closer, and whispered, "At least now Nora can rest."

"Maybe rest as far as the murder is concerned. But, I feel she still has a lot to teach me."

We just continued sitting there for a few minutes. Then I said, "I feel like I need to do something."

Caley looked at me, and said, "You need to visit Nora. Don't you?"

I looked at her, smiled, nodded yes, and said, "Yes. How did you know?"

"I just did. And, you want me to go with you."

I looked at her a little puzzled.

And, then she said, "And, you want to go in dance outfits. Don't you?"

I said, "Wait a minute. How did you know all this?"

"I could just sense it. It's like your way to tell her what happened, and that you're happy with the way it turned out. But, I think she already knows."

"She probably does. But, I still want to share it with her."

She turned, looked at me, I looked at her, and we kissed. She got up, offered me her good hand, and led me back to where the adults were. My mother saw us, and asked, "Why so serious you two?"

I looked at my aunt, and said, "Forgive me Aunt Sheila. But, I need to visit Spirit Dancer's grave. And, I want Caley to go with me."

"Honey.", my Aunt Sheila said. "There's no need to apologize. Nora is your Guardian Angel, and you need to be close to her."

Then I said to my mom, "Mom. Could you or dad take us to the cemetery? But, we need to change first."

Caley's parents took her home. I went upstairs, and became Little Fawn. The panties. The bra and forms. Then I took my makeup case, went to my mom and dad's room, sat at the vanity, and added some light makeup. The foundation. The eyebrows. The mascara. Some light eyeshadow. A light touch of eyeliner. The lip liner pencil. And, the light pink lipstick.

Then, for some reason I added some blusher to highlight my high cheek bones.

I undid my pony tail, and brushed out my hair. No braids today. I wanted my hair straight. As I brushed out my hair, I looked at myself in the mirror, and I saw the girl again. Me. Little Fawn. But, the blusher made me look even more like a girl than before.

When I had my hair the way I wanted it. I found a pretty beaded headband in my mother's dresser, and placed it around my head. I then tied my choker around my neck. And, replaced one set of my studs with a very pretty pair of beaded earrings.

I went back to my room. Looked at the three dance dresses that I had, and I chose the one that Nora had asked me to wear when I was in her bedroom and her spirit first told me that I was a two-spirit person. Then I put on a pair of my fancy moccasins with leggins.

I went back to my mom and dad's room, looked at myself in the mirror, and just smiled. I went downstairs to be my parents, and my aunt and uncle, were sitting. My aunt was the first to see me, and she just shook her head, and said, "Little Fawn. Every time I see you, you look prettier then the time before."

Everyone turned and looked at me. My dad said, "I swear that Little Wolf has a girl hidden in his room, and he sends her down when he wants us to think he's a girl."

I looked at my dad, and said, "Daddy!"

"I sorry. It just surprises me that you can look so good as a girl, so quickly."

"Honey.", my mother said. "Would you mind if we all go to the cemetery with you?"

"No. But, Caley and I really want to be alone with Spirit Dancer for a while."

My aunt then said, "We could go visit your grandparent's grave. Then come back."

"That would be good."

"Why don't we go to the cemetery.", dad said. "Then come back here and have a cookout. And, we can invite Caley and her parents too."

With a smile, I said, "You'd better have them bring Kimi."

My mother laughed, and said, "Your other girl friend."

"Mom!"

"Honey. You and Caley were so cute with her at the Pow Wow."

- End Part 3 -

AttachmentSize
Image icon maiden-doe.gif72.85 KB
Image icon flatfan.jpg50.32 KB
up
229 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Teddie

Great story please continue

Men should be Men and the rest should be as feminine as they can be

I do hope this marvelous

I do hope this marvelous little story will continue for some time. There definitely appears to be much more of the story to be told; from Little Fawn/Luke side, Caley's side, Luke's parents and all the rest of the Tribal Elders, plus her new mentor White Antelope. * Hugs*, Janice

Please continue ...

Bobbie Sue's picture

Teddie,

You are doing very well and I know that everyone is anxiously waiting for the next part.

HUGS

Bobbie Sue