Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2698

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2698
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

It’s actually harder work riding at a slower speed than you’re used to than it is to be pushed by someone faster, unless they’re very much faster. If you’ve ever tried walking with a small child or an elderly person, it’s so difficult—it’s like your balance is adjusted to the speed you usually go and it feels really strange to be going so slow. Balance on a bike is easier when moving fast enough to keep the centre of gravity through the centre of the bike, if you go very slow the slightest body movement can cause you to lean to left or right and overbalance, so how these trackies stop at the top of the banking and play chicken with each other. If it goes on for more than thirty seconds, they have to restart the race. Me, I can manage it for a couple of seconds before I start to wobble, though it might be easier on a fixed wheel than a free one.

Danni and Trish shot off as soon as we hit the bike path but I held my pace to allow Hannah to find her way round the gears. If you’re a regular cyclist one bike works much the same as another in terms of using the gears to control your speed, except where the gear levers are. On old bikes, they’re often friction change which are usually positioned on the down tubes and you move the lever until you feel the chain move to the next cog. On modern road bikes the changers are incorporated into the brake levers and it makes life so much easier to use especially as most are index linked and move just with a click. It was this latter manifestation that Hannah was trying to master. Apparently before when she’d ridden Trish’s bike, she’d done so in the gear it was in—we all assumed she knew how to do it—she didn’t like to say she didn’t and consequently suffered accordingly.

At one point we stopped and I held up the back wheel and turned the pedal allowing her to see which way the levers moved things, then it’s about learning to change to meet the needs of your body, so going down when pedalling is hard or changing up when it’s easy depending upon circumstances. If you’re just moseying along, then you may wish to stay in a low gear; if racing, then in as high a gear as is comfortable to sustain. If you’re in bed, I always think a nightdress or pyjamas is the best gear to be in.

After a mile or two Hannah got a bit more confidence until she changed too abruptly and her chain jumped off and she nearly fell off. I put it back on for her and off we went again. Ten minutes later Trish and Danni were racing each other back to find us, Danni braking suddenly and swerving her back wheel round—the equivalent of a handbrake turn, I suppose. I’d have fallen off, she didn’t. I did caution her that she could buy her next back tyre if it wore out quicker than mine did.

Finally Hannah and the gear changing clicked and she shot off ahead of us laughing to herself and accelerating as she went. Trish flew off after her which threw down the gauntlet to us old timers and as I was in too high a gear to spin off after them, I was left standing on the pedals chasing Danielle who found it very amusing. It didn’t occur to her that once I got some momentum, my acceleration would be quicker and in less than a hundred yards I’d passed her and was still increasing my velocity on my velocipede.

Ahead of me the two girls were racing each other and zigzagging all over the path, so I slipped out onto the road and went into a racing tuck. They were probably doing ten or fifteen miles an hour, I was now hitting high twenties and just shouted as I rushed past. I stopped half a mile further on and waited for them. By this time Danni had caught them and they were all staying together, for which I was going to reward them with an ice cream—at least that was what I’d tell them, but I was going to buy them one anyway and I stopped because there in the lay-by was an ice cream van.

Needless to say, the ices went down a treat and even I had one, a ninety-nine, which is a cone with a flake added—no a chocolate flake, not me. The others had various things with all sorts of fruit or chocolate sauce squirted all over. I know the bill was over twelve pounds—for four ices, diabolical especially as the ice cream costs mere pennies to make. Oh well it was part of our holiday.

“Are we going up to the castle, Mummy?” asked Trish as we waited to finish our ice creams and get back to pedalling.

“Wow, I’ve never been to a castle,” said Hannah.

“Cold draughty places,” I said dismissively.

“She’s only saying that because she doesn’t like spiders,” said Trish.

“Ugh, it doesn’t have spiders, does it?” Hannah looked as if she might share my dislike of eight legged things.

“Nah, I was just joking,” Trish looked at me while blushing hoping I wouldn’t shoot her down. I didn’t—this time.

“C’mon, let’s head for home,” shouted and started to mount my bike.

“I thought we were going further than this...” complained Trish, while Danielle simply mounted her bike and asked if she could ride back as quickly as she could. I called to her to be careful, but I suspect she wouldn’t have heard me. The three of us made reasonable progress after her but by the time we reached the drive, she was finishing wiping down her bike. As we did that, she had a shower and we seemed to stay a step behind her for the rest of the afternoon.

She’d finished her drink when I made myself a cuppa and Trish got herself and Hannah a drink and a biscuit. “Can Cindy come over, Mummy?”

“Ask David if he’s got enough for another hungry mouth.”

“David, have you...?”

“Yes, I’m doing steak and ale pie.”

“With chips or mash?”

“What d’you fancy?”

“Chips.”

“Bad luck, it’s mash.”

I chuckled at this. I’d much rather have new potatoes. David winked at me and held up the bag of new spuds. I nodded and knew dinner would be most enjoyable.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
257 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

always a good Sat fiction fix.

kristin's picture

I think I need to finally go buy a bike! The bike seems to be a common GOOD theme with Cathy and co. (well, except for poor Billie) and also with the oft mentioned Gaby stories. I also didn't know about the new (to me!) gear changing style. Thanks as usual, for the info and continuing a great story.
Kristyn

kristyn nichols

On your Bike

Greetings

I learnt to ride a bike long ago, without any gear changing! Still riding but not at the speed of Cathy, but plodding along it gets me around my local area quicker than walking or waiting for a local bus. Some steady exercise too.

Glad there are some cycle routes that avoid main roads.

Brian

Another enjoyable episode.

I kept expecting something bad to happen, but all was at peace.

The paragraph

The paragraph on gear and shifting ended wonderfully, and I tend to agree with Cathy those are appropriate gear for the bed.

Annette

I was introduced to the three

I was introduced to the three speed English bikes when our family was assigned there in the early 1950s.
We arrived in country with single speed, coaster brakes (back pedals) on Schwinn bikes that had "balloon" tires, (now considered mountain bike tires); built in headlights, taillights, and horns.
State of the Art in America, which we discovered was only about 15 years BEHIND the European bikes.
About 1956, A Tech Sgt in my Dad's Unit bought a Racing bike from Germany that had an amazing 18 speed gear system on it. He had paid around $1200.00 dollars for it ( a LOT of money then and today). Approx 773 Pounds in today's money.
That was truly an eye opener to everyone who saw it.
The story doesn't say what Cathy paid for Hannah's bike, but I can imagine it wasn't a cheap one, as she knows bikes and has a special affinity for them.

obviously a memory surge

Maddy Bell's picture

As 18 speed bikes didn't come about until the 1980's!

12 speed arrived in the late '70's and even for race bikes it was the late '90's before 18 speed was viable, muddied by 27 speed set ups. - currently have one 1970's bike with 12 speed, a, nineties with 14, one 20 gear, one 30 and 2 with 22 which is the current racing norm (I have the same set up as Quintana!)

Hannah's bike will most likely have 16 gears - the norm for kids mini racers - not sure about the colour but it's likely a Dawes. Cathy is probably due an upgrade as I believe her Specialised is running 2x10.

Next they'll be fitting motors........


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Motors?

Wasn't that LA's secret?

BTW I drove near Grottoes, Virginia a few days ago, thinking of Gaby.

I have an 18 speed

Angharad's picture

early MTB from about 1985 and an ancient Peugeot with 10 speed friction change, plus the extension bars on the brakes, probably 1970's vintage. Until a year or so ago I had 1950's or earlier Rudge-Whitworth with 3 speed Sturmey Archer gears.

There's no future in nostalgia, give me modern bikes any day.

Angharad

Many years ago

when i was working on the the post office on some duties we needed to use a bike, Cathy talks about her childrens bike gears and a few of the problems associated with them ,I only wish we had been given the luxury of gears, The bikes we used were big heavy things even without a load up front they were hard work to pedal, In later years the post office finally caught up a little when they started using a three speed , Which were great ...when they worked !

Kirri

Going from single speed

Podracer's picture

To a six-speed derailleur with a downtube shifter was a bit of a shock, but avoiding nasty grindy noises form the rear soon got me attuned to the lever. Now on 27, the multi gear changes seem ever more sensitive to cable adjustment.
Anyway, I'm glad the girls had a good ride, it's an excellent bonding experience as well as healthful. Danni! Race style tyres won't last long doing that, useful though the skills are! Hehe - a kick scooter with solid tyres and a back-only footbrake is super for drifting the rear wheel and leaving long black marks on the footpath.
Need to tweak the Cafe's seat and tighten the computer mount, Aldi will be open soon, we need beetroot and rain is forecast later..

"Reach for the sun."

Bike Racing

Many years ago - all right, decades ago - I was watching some cycle racing on TV. The two contestants set off at a snail's pace for the first lap trying to achieve the tactical advantage of being second (so that, when you start your sprint on the third lap, your opponent doesn't see you start your move and, hopefully, doesn't have enough time to react before you have crossed the line).

Anyhow, after the first lap they both crawled up the banking and stopped doing the balancing thing trying to psyche out the other guy. This went on .... and on ....and on for what seemed to be well over a minute. Either the rules have changed since then or it only seemed like minutes.

Nothing was happening bar the occasional twitch as they maintained their balance. The atmosphere was electric. A pin dropping would have been deafening.

Then one of the riders twitched just a little too much and had to set off. Within moments the race had become an all-out two lap sprint. The crowd roared. How the roof stayed on I don't know. Hugely sustained applause once it was all over and quite rightly so.

All those years ago and I can still remember it (hopefully accurately).

Oldfashioned.

Holy Cow!

I can't be I eve it but I think I'm caught up ! I admit I'd taken a couple of months off to follow a couple of other authors. But, I've taken the last few days -- maybe a week -- and I'm now even.

I'm enjoying it so much! Thank you, Ang, for doing this for all of us!

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)