The Pastor -- Chapter 1 -- First Encounter

Printer-friendly version

The Pastor

By Asche

Copyright 2015

Preface

This story was inspired by KT Leone's story "The Christmas Conversation." I found the story charming, but couldn't really believe the pastor's instant conversion from seeing the trans girl's desire to be a girl as a sin to accepting her. This is my attempt to imagine how a pastor from a conservative Christian tradition might come to see that it was not only not a sin, but how God wanted her to be.

Chapter 1 -- First Encounter

Reverend Warren Hanley prepared himself for his next appointment. Marisa Taylor, Gary Taylor's wife, wanted to talk about her son, Jesse. Although she hadn't said what it was about, he could guess. Hopewell was a small enough town that pretty much everybody knew everybody's business, and a boy who showed no interest in the usual boyish activities and had a delicate manner more like a girl was going to get talked about. Reverend Hanley considered himself a servant of the God of Love rather than of the stern judging God, so he had a feeling this was going to be a difficult talk.

"Come in, Miz Taylor," he said as he opened the door and gestured for her to sit in an overstuffed chair near his desk.

"It's about my son, Reverend," said Marisa nervously. "I've tried to bring him up right, and Gary did what he could, at least until he was deployed, but --"

Reverend Hanley waited patiently. He gave her a smile to indicate she could take as long as she needed.

"Well, you know he doesn't like sports or roughhousing. I mean, he's been trying to play baseball, but his heart isn't in it. And I've noticed he has this sad look. I'd say: haunted. Like there was something real heavy on his mind. Well, I told him if he had something he needed to say, he could talk to me any time. I've said it a few times, especially since Gary left. One day, he sat me down in the kitchen." Reverend Hanley couldn't help smiling at the image of this shy, slender seven-year-old telling his mother to sit down. "And he asked me to promise not to get mad, but he had to tell me something. And I said, did you do something bad? And he said, kinda, but it's not what you think. And I said, spit it out, son. And he said, I think I'm a girl. Well, I didn't know what to say at first. But I could see he was really upset, so I put him on my lap and hugged him. And then I asked why he thought so, and he said, I don't know, I just know it. I keep trying to be a boy like I'm supposed to, but inside I know it's a lie."

She gave the pastor a supplicating look. The pastor asked, "and what did you do then?"

"I didn't know what to do. The next time I got to talk to Gary, a week later, I asked him, and he said to talk to the doctor. And the doctor told me to take him to see Dr. Hancock, who's a child psychologist, over in Milburn. The Army insurance is paying for it. I hoped she could help him get straightened out."

The pastor wasn't sure a psychologist was such a good idea. While he wasn't opposed to them on principle, he thought they sometimes gave bad advice that conflicted with the Lord's law. But he didn't want to distress her, so he said, "I can see you're trying to do your best for your son."

"Anyway, after a few weeks, she -- Dr. Hancock -- told me Jesse was probably 'transgender.' That means that even though he's a boy on the outside, he's a girl on the inside. And whether he is or not, we'd best let him spend some time being a girl. If he's not transgender, he'll get bored with it. Well, I got him some girl clothes -- a dress and some tights and some, you know, and I let him dress up in the evening. I was worried I was hurting him, but the minute he got dressed up, that sad look vanished and he looked happier than he'd been in months. But when he had to get back into his boy clothes, he got sad again. I've been letting him do it most evenings, when we don't have company or anything, and we close the curtains. I even got him a girl's nightgown, so he's happy all night. He decided he'd like to be called Jessica, at least when he's being a girl."

Marisa began to cry. Reverend Hanley reached her a box of tissues.

"I feel so torn, Reverend. On the one hand, I know the Lord says he should accept the body the Good Lord gave him and be happy being a boy. On the other hand -- on the other hand, I just want my boy to be happy, and this is what makes him happy. When he's trying to be a boy, I feel like I'm losing my son, but when he's being a girl, I feel like I have my boy -- I mean my child -- back. Tell me: what should I do?"

"Miz Taylor, I know you love your boy and you don't want to do anything to hurt him. He's got the best mother a boy could have. But sometimes -- well, sometimes the Lord gives us hard things to do. Sometimes He lays heavy burdens on us, and we just have to carry them. Miz Carrington lost her husband and her son to cancer, and they suffered mightily for a long time. I can't tell her why the Lord made them suffer like that, and I can't tell your Jesse why the Lord put this burden on him. The Lord made him a boy, and he needs to pray to the Lord for strength to resist this temptation."

"What should I do about the -- the dresses and such?"

"I'd suggest you give them to the church clothing drive. There are always poor families that could use them. Just remember: the Lord knows we stumble, and He doesn't hold it against us when we do. But it's our job to stand back up again and sin no more."

Marisa thanked the pastor and went out, but he could see from the way her shoulders slumped that she wasn't comforted. He sighed to himself. Yes, sometimes the Lord gives us heavy burdens. As the door closed he bowed his head and said a prayer for Mrs. Taylor and her son.

(To be continued)

up
123 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sorry

The story is well written and given the introduction I can have an educated guess where it will be going, but I don't like reading about such narrow minded and misguided ideas and people.

Anne Margarete

This is going to be very difficult

littlerocksilver's picture

I would hope that the Reverend would seek some scientific guidance. A good pastor has to be a good psychologist. Unfortunately, many are misguided psychologists. Let's hope for the best.

Portia

I anticipate a good story

There is not a single way the pastor could go. Wheras the story is about to be continued, I don't expect it would be a easy one.

Hope....

Andrea Lena's picture

....being unsure about psychology is much better than rejecting psychology altogether. This promises to be a very painful and likely arduous journey for all of them, but it promises to be enlightening and hopeful as well. Excellent!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Who says that

psychologists give bad advice sometimes and not, NOT according to Gods law? Like Gods law is the only of the land? As I remember it somewhere in the Bible it states that we should obey man's law. So there! Not that I am religious or anything but I must say that most religions will say and do things under their so called Gods rule to justify even terrible things like WAR, MURDER and what ever else they wish to do.

I gotta go I really hate ranting and I don't do it often

typical

unfortunatley people believe that religous leaders are acting purley for the guidance of their followers but sadly just act to perpetuate their view of spirituality through their particular belief system. I hope Jessica is strong enough to follow her own way

I have heard this before.

I have heard this before. The Bible does not address being transgendered. Therefore conservative christians approach it as "God does not make mistakes".

The mistake that these, often well meaning, people make is that God does allow all sorts of physical and mental differences to occur. These are called birth defects.

In this case, the minister would probably not have a problem with surgical correction of a cleft palate, or the removal of an extra toe or finger.

Do not react in anger, or hate christians for their ignorant response.
Try to educate them.

I too pray, but it is for discernment...

The joy and peace that came to Jesse when the persona of a girl embraced him/her might easily have been the Holy Spirit. Light not darkness usually typifies God's presence. Faith does not call us to be ignorant. If nothing else support the child and family to take things a step and a day at a time. I too denied myself, felt guilty and digressed many times before coming to acceptance. Acceptance not only of me but of God's love and acceptance of me.

Hugs all around, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

This will be an interesting story.

gillian1968's picture

The Christian clergy, like the members of their churches, run the gamut from rigidly rejecting anything they don't perceive as right to concerned and loving even those who hurt them.

I liked K T Leone's story, too, but felt perhaps the conversion was a bit abrupt. So, I look forward to your take on these events.

Gillian Cairns

pastors need some psychology too

gillian1968's picture

Being willing to consider the results of a psychologist's evaluation shows this Pastor isn't completely rigid.

Gillian Cairns