Atalanta at Whateley: School Days Chapters 20

Printer-friendly version

Atalanta clears up a misunderstanding and answers some questions. Meanwhile Mrs. Carson reaches out to learn all she can about Atalanta and makes her plans. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

red-hair-woman-1600x1200.jpg

Chapter 20

I was equally as stunned and confused then giggled as the realization hit me, “Not people you guys...animals. Sometimes I track and trap them for tagging, sometimes a bear, or cat, or wolf will go rogue and I have to put them down. That's part of who I am, a huntress. Besides I like the wild outdoors and I'm real good at what I do. So I wonder if there is any call or need for that kind of work here.”

“Girl you’re full of surprises aren't you,” Gunny challenged, “is this another thing you failed to mention on your application?”

“Well,” I hedged, “it’s there, just not in the exact context though.”

“Like you having combat training.”

“Martial arts,” I countered. Silently we started walking again.

Crystal Hall was buzzing when we walked through the doors. Supper was in full swing. The cafeteria was crowded but the food line moved easily and soon I was seated beside Nikki at a table while the Sergeant had wandered off to eat with security. No doubt with one eye on me.

“So is it true,” Nikki asked, “are you a bounty hunter?” This piqued the interest of several Kimba members that had just came up. “A bounty hunter, for real,” Jade bubbled as she and Billie sat.

“Just sometimes,” I admitted shyly, “please keep it between us. I was asking Sergeant Bardue if there were a similar program here as I really like being out in the wild and tracking.”

Nikki grinning from ear to ear adding, “She's had combat training too.” Chaka, Chou, Billie and Hank perked up at that news.

“What kind,” Hank wanted to know. “Close quarters or hand-to-hand.”

“I was taught close quarters, and that hand-to-hand meant somebody had laid a hand on you, a no-no where stealth is required. He also taught me a form of Wing Chung Kung Fu, KJD.”

“Who was this guy, I mean what did he do,” asked Chaka.

“Seal, Black Ops.”

“Okay girl spill it, what else are you not telling us?” Nikki conspiratorially leaned forward grinning.

“Really guys I didn't do much, heck there wasn't that much to do just a lot of open space and a nice guy who offered to teach me some self defense moves. Nothing compared to the adventures you guys got into.”

“You just proved my point,” Nikki smirked, “to start; this guy was only going to teach you something basic, right.”

“Yeah. So what?”

“So why did he teach you more than basic and more importantly why did you continue learning?” Nikki repeated her inquiry.

I replied thoughtfully with a faraway stare, “I hadn't thought about it before. Just instincts I guess.”

Shifting directions Nikki asked, “How many adventures have you had?”

“Five or six,” I admitted.

Nikki looked around at her group, “Numbers are somewhat similar to what we experienced.” There was general agreement with that assessment.

Nikki continued relentless to drive home her point, “There are what less than 1,000 people in 100 square miles where you live.” She continued when I nodded. “There's double that population here in at least at a quarter of that size and in Boston several million people. Our adventures were bigger and more explosive simply because of opportunity. My point being is that just like we did, you drew trouble to you. It wasn’t your fault and it wasn't our fault either. It just happened. It sounds like you drew about the same number of troubles with fewer opportunities. Will that happen here after another transformation? Likely.”

“You have already made strides in that direction after only one day. First, youby getting in a scuffle with Tatiana, which that brought Mrs. Carson and security down on your head. And today you turned mystical arts and Mrs. Carson on their heads with your power testing.”

“So you are saying I'm a trouble magnet?” I asked frowning.

“I have a theory about when a new mutant emerges; they sort of bring that chaos and change within them out into the world. Nature's way of stasis.”

“Whoa, Dr Frankenstein, I presume,” Bunny teased Nikki. “Who did you swipe that from?”

“In Future History: The Predictive Power of Mathematical Extrapolation. Something was said in class and this neat little theory popped in my head.”

“I can't argue with the reasoning since my code name is Equal and stasis is balance,” I moaned. “So does that mean I need to go find some new changelings and then go find some trouble?”

“No,” Nikki replied quickly, “That's not what I mean. Think of it like a pressure cooker building up inside. If you don't have some pressure outside pushing in, that cooker’ll blow up.”

Jade excitedly agreed, “Just like a pressure cooker we need to blow off a little steam.”

“Just not blow up half of Boston doin' it,” Ayla replied dryly thinking of the destruction they had help cause and that she was lucky her investments had escaped damage.

Unperturbed Jade bounced to face Nikki, “You need to write a paper for one of your classes. Bet you'd get an 'A' on it. Then we could use it as defense exhibit 'A' with Mrs. Carson.”

“I don't know guys,” Nikki complained, “It’s just a spur of the moment doodling kind of thing.”

“It kinda’ makes sense,” Hank said, “And it would explain a lot of things that happened. You need to dig deeper on this. It might help all mutants out.”

“I’m supposed to have an appointment with Dr. Bellows sometime this week,” I echoed, “would it help if I sounded him out?”

“That's not a bad idea.”

I slowly became aware that the buzzing had dropped several levels in volume and looking around was surprised that the cafeteria had emptied of almost half it’s occupants while we were eating and talking. “What now guys?”

“I guess to Poe, we go,” Jade answered as we rose to deposit our plates and then walk through the doors of Crystal Hall.

From his vantage Gunny Bardue watched the Kimbas and Atalanta leave and followed from a discreet distance, breathing a sigh of relief when they passed through the doors at Poe. Buzzing from his pager interrupted his vigil, ' My office in 10.C.'

“Wonder what’s up.”

Bardue strode in through the doors at Schuster Hall and bypassed the receptionist to knock on Mrs. Carson's door. He was surprised to find Chief Delarose seated as he responded to Mrs. Carson's summons. “Mrs. Carson, Chief,” he greeted them with raised eyebrows. Mrs. Carson ignored his implied question, “Where is Miss Reid?”

“She’s in Poe with the rest of Team Kimba.”

“The Chief and I were discussing who from security to put with Atalanta. We both think Everheart is ideal.”

“I couldn't agree more, especially after the bombshell she dropped on us coming back through the tunnels.”

“And what was that?” Mrs. Carson demanded.

“It seems back in New Mexico she was a bounty hunter...”

“What?!” both Carson and Delarose shouted together.

“Tagging animals, or killing those that hunt livestock. They pay so much an animal and she was asking me if there was a similar program around here.”

“Well we do have some problems from time to time but it might present a problem with the Medawihla Indian Were tribe of bears. But we need to talk with Eloise and Ben first.”

“On the bright side,” Bardue jabbed, “she doesn’t apparently charge to hunt humans.” He was referring to her search and rescue efforts.

“People do get lost from time to time,” Delarose dryly pointed out.

Mrs. Carson turned to Delarose, “I think that about does it for now, Chief you’ll let Sam know.”

He nodded and both men rose to leave, careful to close the door gently behind them. Outside they parted ways Delarose towards Sam’s residence and Bardue to the cottage.

Samantha Everheart had just finished cleaning, oiling and assembling her guns when a knock sounded. She tensed for a second before smiling, “Come in Chief,” she answered not looking up from her table.

“Sam you are going to wear out those guns if you don’t quit cleaning them,” he teased.

Hive; her built in computer program, despite her not asking about it automatically returned a value of 26.3 years.

“No, a weapon is a tool and a tool works best when it is clean. But you didn’t drop in on a week night to discuss the merits of weapon cleaning.”

“I can’t fool you can I Sam? You’re right I didn’t. I’m pulling you off your normal duties for a few weeks to babysit a new student.”

“Sit down,” Sam indicated a chair, “and tell me about this monster of the midway.”

“She is the new girl that came in yesterday, Atalanta Reid, and she seems to be a bit of a trouble magnet.”

“Ahh, shades of Team Kimba then?”

“Something along those lines. After eating dinner last evening she gets into a tussle with Tatiana.”

Samantha stopped what she was doing and looked closer at Delarose, clearly interested, “What’s the problem; Tatiana’s a psycho?”

“It’s not that, Atalanta treated Tatiana like a red-headed step child. Bardue said Tatiana never stood a chance, and he is sure Atalanta has had combat training, while her files indicate she has martial arts tutoring.”

Sam asked leaning forward, “Anybody can claim anything, what makes you think she has any training of that type?”

“Bits and pieces,” he admitted, “her files indicate martial arts training and Tatiana maybe a psycho, but she’s tough and has three years of training here at the school under her belt. Bardue witnessed part of the fight; he says Atalanta had her easily pinned to the wall. When he asked what was going on, Atalanta says that Tatiana was just demonstrating her love for good ol’ Whateley. School spirit don’t you know.”

“She’s quick thinking and has a sense of humor to boot,” Sam chuckled, “What’s the problem?”

“I'm coming to that,” Delarose grumbled. “Somebody stole into Tatiana’s room last night, tied up her and her roommate and drew on her a Snidely Whiplash mustache and left a message; 'Don't even think about it.' We are sure Atalanta did it but we had cameras on all of the outside doors, hell even the door leading to the basement. Nothing went in or came out of Poe last night.”

“The cameras were compromised then,” Sam volunteered.

“We thought of that, again nothing.”

“I like her style.”

“There's more. She almost blew up the labs in Arena 77. It had something to do about her changing the protective wards, drawing it in and amplifying and losing control. The whole mystic arts department, Mrs. Carson and Fey witnessed it.”

“Well I still don't see what the problem is; she doesn't seem like a bad kid. Just keep her away from warded areas until she learns control.”

“If that is all there was I wouldn't be here,” Chief Delarose replied quietly. “It seems like she either was vague on her application or the people here didn't read between the lines.”

“Just what was in between those lines?” Sam questioned.

Delarose paused to consider how much to reveal and how much to let Sam find out on her own.

“That the training she had received was with a black op Seal operative.”

“Oh shit,” Sam buried her head in her hands. Seals and black ops meant lethal force. She should know she had spent more years than she wanted to recall in that line of work. Because of the nature of that work many members of that fraternity were certifiable insane.

“Do we know who trained her?”

“No we don’t and she’s been a bit evasive about names.”

“That just means she has been trained well. Not to worry there aren’t more than a couple of hundred of us and chances are either I or one of my contacts knows this soldier. Okay that’s not too bad. When do I…”

Sam’s words froze in mid sentence seeing the look on Delarose’s face. “There’s more,” she asked incredulous.

“Separate from her martial arts and CQC classes she is also a bounty hunter, a tracker, a huntress in the wild. Who knows what else we’ll find. There was nothing in her files about her being a mage either. An image of an owl was noted on her left shoulder but we assumed it was a tattoo …”

“But it’s not a tattoo,” Sam interrupted.

“No, it seems to be a birthmark …”

“A birthmark she wasn’t born with,” Sam quipped.

“Yeah a birthmark she wasn’t born with,” Delarose echoed dryly, “Atalanta thinks it is a seal from Athena.”

“She’s evolving then.”

“It would appear so. Another oddity is her chosen code name; Equal. It’s benign yet holds an implied threat.”

“It reminds me of the Marine and Seal code: Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Say no more, when do I start?”

“In the morning,” the Chief responded. “She runs 5-10 miles every morning and Mrs. Carson has given her free rein in the forests around the campus subject to the usual boundaries and restricted areas. She is setting up a meeting with the Medawihla tribe to meet with Atalanta.”

“Chief” began Sam, “something doesn’t add up; why is Mrs. Carson being so accommodating. Just what are her powers?”

Chief Delarose signed again, “There’s a bit of mystery there, but no she’s not a mind dominator. Mrs. Carson thinks she knows more about her powers than she lets on. Probably to give her enough rope to hang her if she’s up to no good.”

Samantha, with Hive running a probability matrix and she recalling her experience replied, “Whateley has all the experts and the initiative. If I was her I’d be cautious about revealing too much too early. She’d probably fit well with a sniper unit. I take it you want me to babysit and observe her and give you a report on her stability.”

Chief Franklin Delarose drawing himself to his full height and squaring his shoulders admitted, “That’s exactly what I want.”

“You got it, Chief but I need to see her file.”

“That shouldn’t be a problem,” he replied as he stood up, turning to leave, “come by the office tomorrow.”

And in another part of the campus:

“Eloise how are you? Are Ben and the kids doing okay? Good. Good. Have you got your Christmas trim up?”
“Me. No I'll probably take a few days and see the grandkids.

A few more like pleasantries were exchanged before Eloise chuckled, “Out with it Liz. I know you too well. What is on your mind?”

Liz is Elizabeth Carson the Headmistress at Whateley and Eloise the council leader of the Medawihla Indians that was neighbor to the school and from who Whateley leased their grounds.

“A new student came in yesterday and frankly she is a bit of a puzzle. She’s a changeling with two events; the last one two months ago. The first was at the upper level of baseline and from male to female. Her mother, a doctor, certified her as intersex and as a result she wasn't tested as a mutant. But for most of those 18 months she trained one-on-one in martial arts and close quarter combat drills. Her second changing resulted from being shot, while rescuing her mother from fleeing criminals. This happened in front of witnesses that made her mutation impossible to keep secret. This change resulted in another mystery as she received a seal but no change in her appearance. Today during our powers testing she fouled up our warding. Then she told me she's a huntress and bounty hunter and that I believe she might be connected in some way with the five-fold court.”

Eloise interrupted, “I don't see where I can help you.”

Elizabeth continued patiently, “She expressed an interest in exploring the forests around here and possibly hunting down rogue animals...”

“Liz we police our own area.”

“I know you do. She also does tagging for wildlife and conservation. And her second change happened when tracking kidnappers.”

“I still don't see where I can help you.”

Liz taking a calming breath patiently continued, “Two reasons. Her connection I feel is someone from the five-fold court and since your tribe traces its ancestry to that time I hope you might be able to add insight to what the connection might be.”

“And what is the second?”

Elizabeth decided to be blunt, “She's going to be here during Christmas break and frankly I'd like to keep her away from magic while our instructors are on leave. She is used to running free in the New Mexico Mountains and I was hoping that your tribe could show her around a few days.”

Eloise laughed heartily, “If I agree, you owe me.”

“Agreed,” Liz silently breathed a silent sigh.

“But I have a couple of conditions.”

“Name them,” Liz replied cautiously.

“Who do you have babysitting her?”

“Samantha Everheart.”

“Good choice. I'd like her and Nikki to escort Atalanta here before Christmas. I reserve the right to change my mind after meeting her, and I want to talk with her mother when she is here. After all, she's supposed to be at the Academy and not on the Reservation. From one mother to another I want her to be okay with it.”

“I don't have a problem with any of that. And Eloise, thank you.”

“What are friends for,” Eloise replied warmly.

Elizabeth Carson leaned back in her office chair smiling at the ceiling. That had gone well. Keeping Atalanta occupied in a familiar routine and away from magic just made Christmas a lot easier to enjoy.

Eloise Donner likewise had a similar self-satisfied smile plastered on her face. Liz and the school owed her a favor and if Atalanta did have a connection from the five-fold court, it most likely was from the center court. The five-fold court had it’s own secrets and she suspected the Center Court employed some nasty enforcers to keep order. Atalanta and Athena were a formidable combination, or she could be hosting an unknown deity.

The attacks by the Voodoo Wolves from several years earlier had taught her the value of allies. And the goddess of war and wisdom, if that was who Atalanta is, would be another link in much needed defenses.

up
344 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love this Story!

I really enjoy this story! Keep up the good work! Can't wait for the next chapter!

Hugs
Gina

I'm glad you like it

and I appreciate your comment.

Magic and the lightning rod..

I am just loving the story, thank you. I don't see how they can keep the magic away from Atalanta or any of the other trouble. This is going to be fun. ; }

I'm glad you enjoy it

Atalanta seems to follow the beat of a different drum.

Looks to me like Atalanta

Looks to me like Atalanta just may be one of the more powerful mutants Whateley has gotten so far, even when including Nickki, and a few others who have been there awhile.
As the Chief was saying, "there's more to her than meets the eye, but we just don't know what at this point".
Great story and I am really glad it continues, and hopefully a long time as well.

I'm glad you like it

and I working on the third book now.

Atalanta is different than most students that arrive at Whateley. First she transformed almost two years before she arrives at the school and during that time was trained as a Seal trains. But she was flying under the radar until she rescued her mom and got shot which triggered a second set of powers. But even at that if not for the Feds chances are she's still be flying under the radar.

With Atalanta there are a lot of unknowns; her training is unknown, her homeschooling is outside their norm or unknown to a degree. They don't know if she is a mutant, imbued, or somewhere between; nor do they know the extent of her powers. This veil and lack of clarity forges an uneasy truce with the school.

She may only as

Sammi's picture

She may only as powerful as who she is facing off with at the time,
as I read the story this seems to be the case, and then there is the code name ' EQUAL ', or for the sciencey types

Every action has an ' EQUAL ' and opposite reaction.


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

Indeed

her code-name is a hint.

Great story

Dahlia's picture

I'm loving every bit of your story. Thanks so much and I look forward to the next segment.

Dahlia

THankyou

You just gotta love Atalanta I think that perhaps a few other bullies may end up with egg on their faces aswell, and it going to be very interesting term for Her aswell and I can see more clashes with Mrs Carson and perhaps a few well deserving characters are going to be between a rock and a hard place when a overwhelming force meets an immovable object ie, Mrs Carson and her chats with Atalanta , as well as gunny I cannot wait to see what Sam makes of Her aswell. Keep up the great work Katelyn looking forwards to the next instalment

Matt

Atalanta and Mrs.Carson

will clash just because their goals clash. Mrs. Carson's goals include the school's continued operation and the safety of her students. In order to do that she needs teams and accurate information to act on. Atalanta's powers, training, and nature run more to the covert and the single actor.

great

as usual great ,,, but a bit short

yeah I like

a bit larger chunks myself but ...

Needed Reading

You need to read the Whateley stories to understand the Voodoo wolves comment
Great story KUDOS

If I'm not mistaken

that was from Ill Winds. The truth is that nobody knows including Atalanta who or what she is. Everybody is guessing. I don't know if you agree with me but the truth is in RL you can inherit family cures and blessings and Atalanta is an individual that labels can't define.

oooh fireworks ahead

I can't wait till theres more interaction , and as Atalanta isn't aware of Mrs Carson's other incarnation as Lady Astarte she will not have any reason to be totally in awe of Her and I think even if she was , Manny has trained her well and I think there could be mutual respect but a lot of fireworks , and I cannot wait to see if she goes into the sims against the grunts now that will be a fun fun time

Fireworks probably

will occur without the sims but thanks for an angle that I hadn't given much consideration to.

Atalanta has quickly become

Atalanta has quickly become one of my favorite Whateley characters, keep up the good work!

Though I'm still hoping for her and Whisper to team up, their skills would compliment each other very well.

Hmm

Tas's picture

Interested to see where this is going, on to the next chapter!

-Tas

I've been missing the

I've been missing the Atalanta series so I thought I would reread it. just as enjoyable the second time.

I did notice though that Mrs Carson didn't clue into the fact that Eloise already knew Atalanta's name without her mentioning it.

theory

what if atalanta reid is the spiritural reincarnation of the original atalanta so her mutation gave her back original physical self

Powers/Abilities: Imbued paragon exemplar of Atalanta with high level esper ability called pattern sense, marked paragon of Athena ,with acquired healing, warper/energizer, and wizard traits.”

Finally got it!

Well, it only took a year to sink in, but I finally made the connection. Tatiana has a hang up about Hank, and Atalanta was walking with Hank. So Tatiana saw her as competition for Hank's favor. Just like with Fey, an attractive girl with Hank triggers Tatiana. Up to now I had tried to project some bigger significance on Tatiana's attack where there wasn't one. Tatiana was jealous, that's all.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin