Beyond the Tales Chapter 15

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 15

Dragons!


jzgtj9.jpg

I got up real early and got dressed after feeding the twins I headed outside looking for a good place to add on 6 rooms I found one and added the rooms but left them empty. I placed empty rooms under them. I went inside and was going to ask Grandmother if she was up on what the different types of Dragon are. I was walking by the mirror when it rang. I answered it "Yes?"

A very efficient looking woman said "I need to speak to Queen Ember please."

I smiled "You are. What can I do for you this fine morning?"

She smiled "I wish to talk to you about the task the 7 gave you. I have a briefing on all the types of dragons and what to expect while they are with you." She held up a bunch of papers. I opened the parcel portal and she handed them over. I shut down the portal. She said "The hatchlings are going to be traveling in human form. The first one will arrive at 10:00 am the rest will arrive every quarter hour after till all 6 are there. They will be escorted by two women each time. Once you have taken charge of the hatchling the escort will leave. The hatchlings have been instructed to do as you say with out fail. To make things easier on you they have been instructed to remain in human form unless practicing. This task will last 1 year. The types are,

1 Silver, 2 Ebony, 3 Emerald, 4 Ruby, 5 Rock, 6 Wyvern, 7 Crystal.

Only Rock and Crystal have a special diet. The Silver is a Ice based Dragon so is hurt by flame. Ruby is a fire based Dragon so does not like cold. Ebony is a shadow dragon does not like bright light. Emerald is a air dragon loves high places. Rock is an earth type. The Wyvern is a water type loves the water. Of course you know all about Crystal Dragons. That should hold you for awhile. The Brief I gave you goes into more detail. Well have a good day Your Majesty." She broke the link.

I decided to find some breakfast. It is Sunday so I went into the kitchen and made some eggs and ham. Ben wondered in sniffing the air. He is so like a puppy sometimes. So I made him some and we talked as we ate. I told him what I was told about the Dragons. I said "These are Hatchlings, so they are young. I hope not too young. 6 year olds would be a pain to take care of."

He asked "How long they going to be here?" I winced at that question. "6 months?" I shook my head. "A year?" I nodded. "Well it could be for life." We laughed at the poor joke. I started to clean the table. "I never seen this domestic side of you. I must say it is quite unusual."

I said "Don't get used to it." I finished and got ready to go. Grandmother was up and smiled. I smiled "Do you want to come with me to pick up the Dragons?"

She thought about it for a few moments and said "Yes I think I would. What can you tell me about the different types?" I handed her the Brief. "Very nice this should help a lot. you mind if I make a copy?"

I said "I don't mind. I am going to start a book for keeping notes while they are here. I want to keep all I can about them. Hopefully I will pick up some of their magic."

Grandmother said "I have this book it is incomplete but it is Dragon magic. Maybe you can fill in the blanks?" She handed me a spell book. I walked to my study and made a copy while she made a copy of the brief. I took the brief and copied it into another book and filed the original away. I was lucky to be using a bag of holding because of all the books I was carrying. I looked at the time and decided to head out. We got ready real fast and was leaving but Cryss was at the door hoping to go with us.

I said "No you stay here. You withheld information from your father and me. So you stay here and write down all the Dragon magic spells you learned. Do that and I may forgive you." She took a spell book from behind her and handed it to me. Then she took another book from behind her and handed it to me. It was a book of Dragon Law. "Oh all right I can never stay mad at you come along." We walked to the mirror room to wait for the Dragons.

The mirror room was busy with day trippers coming and going. We found a place along the wall to wait. We had a quarter hour left till they get here. So I took out the Dragon spell book and looked it over. 57 new spells to study, not bad. I was flipping through the spells when Grandmother said "I think the first one is here." I looked up at the incoming line and there was two very large women escorting a 8 or 9 year old girl. Looking at my watch right on time.

I said "Stay here I'll check it out." I walked over just as they got out of the line. One of the women spotted me heading towards them. The room was pretty clear at the moment so I switched to Princess mode.

They curtsied and one asked "Will Your Majesty take this child into your care?"

I answered "For one year I will. Welcome to Sanctuary." With that the child and her bag was released to me. The escort curtsied again then got in the line to leave. "What is your name? Mine is Ember."

She looked at me "Silvia of the Silver Dragons. Nice to meet you. She Curtsied." I waved her to follow and returned to the others. After introduced the others then went back to watching the lines. She and Cryss Seemed to get along and started gabbing right away. Right on the dot the second one showed up. I went through the same greeting and asked her name. It was Shade of the Ebony Dragons. More introductions and that is how it went for Wind Walker of the Emerald Dragons, Cinder of the Ruby Dragons, Spike of the Rock Dragons and Jazz of the Wyvern Dragons. Once we had them all we headed back to the house. Three inch heels and a long gown look nice but walking over uneven rock paths it is a pain. I switched back to my work clothes.

The house was as mad as ever on a Sunday. I took the Dragons to their rooms and asked how they wanted their rooms. One at a time I created the perfect room for each dragon within reason. Then it was lunch time so I led them in and we sat for a good meal Grandmother had told the maids what each Dragon ate, so the perfect meal for each Dragon was ready.

I led the Dragons to the practice rooms after lunch. Ben followed us and stood watching. Grandmother smiled as she watched. I said "You will practice in small mode so you can fit in here. You will take Dragon form no bigger than this." I nodded to Cryss. Cryss shifted into her normal Dragon form. "We will have time every now and then when you can use your full size form but for now use this size."

Jazz asked "What if that is my normal size?"

I smiled "Then you would be like the Crystal Dragons. We do have a spell to make us bigger for when we go to war. We will teach it to you when the time is right. For now this is the size you need to be."

Shade Asked "Who is that man by the door? I thought this was a meeting for Dragons only?"

I frowned "It is just a practice to let us get to know one another. There is no restrictions on watchers but for your information that is my Husband Ben and yes he has a Dragon form. My Grandmother does not though and she will be watching. Do you have a problem with that?" I gave her the steel melting glare.

She backed down right fast. She said "I did not know this. I understand now."

I let my gaze pass over all of them. I said "Let's get this strait from the start. We are a team all of us that live in my house! there will be no ranking on one another. We will work together without the pain giving that is one-upping each other. When you entered my house you became Family! Act like it. Now lets get to work."

For the next three and a half hours I pushed them to see what their skills were. They had a long way to go. Each had their own Dragon abilities But almost nothing in Human form. I looked at Grandmother. She said "Their young. We will teach them."

I checked and they all had mage level magic but did not know how to use it properly. I smiled this was going to be a big task. Silvia asked "You have seen our Dragon forms can we see yours now?" At least she is polite about it.

I shifted into my Dragon form. I looked Ben's way and he strode to the center of the room. I flew to him he changed and we began the Dance. Half on the ground half in the air. It felt real good. We Danced to an unheard tune. It was instinct to do this Dance. We used the space altering between chasing and dancing. The Dance ended in a kiss as we both shifted back. I knew there were others in the room but all I seen was Ben. Grandmothers voice cut into my thoughts "I think that is enough for today." That broke the spell I was in and I looked at the others.

I smiled "Does that answer your request fairly well? I will show you more as the days go on. Lets head back and you can get to know some of the others in my home." They shifted to human and headed for the door. I put my hand on Ben's chest "Later when we cuddle we will talk about this." Then I followed the others out.

We got back and settled in the living room. After some chat the subject of titles came up. They wanted to hear my titles I sighed and I smiled "Let me introduce myself properly. My name is Her Majesty Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Queen of the Crystal Dragons, Princess of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Countess of Starstone, Grand mage of Sanctuary, Sister of Queen Angelica of Sanctuary, Sister of Prince Samuel of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Granddaughter of the former Archmage, Wife to Count Ben Starstone Captain of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary, Re-Founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator and Mother of the Crystal Dragons, Member of the Dragon 7, Teacher of the Advanced Magic Class at the Academy of Sanctuary. There is more but they are minor. Does that satisfy your curiosity?" They all nodded.

Telsha said "You forgot two. Founder of the Sorority of Magic and Founder of the Princess Betterment Group."

I said "I may have suggested the Sorority but it is Grandmother who is running with it. I only gave the building for that. I believe you are the founder of the P. B. Group along with Grandmother."

Grandmother said "Both groups voted and you are now Founder of both groups. So add them to your list of titles. I am listed as manager of the Sorority and Telsha is the manager of the P. B. Group."

I sighed "All right if you insist. By the way have you looked at the Sorority house yet? With the battle with the Outcast I have completely forgot we need to decorate the inside. It is bare bones at the moment." My feed alarm went off. "Looks like I am needed upstairs. I'll be back down before dinner." I headed for the stairs. Windwalker stopped me without touching me. Her look was intense.

She asked "Can I observe this duty?" I nodded and continued up the stairs. I picked up Belle And checked her diaper and changed her. Then I took a seat and fed her. It was unusual to be watched so intently while I Fed the twins. I have not figured out Windwalker yet. She is an odd one. I just did my mommy job and let her watch. When done I turned things back over to Tasha and went downstairs. On the stairs came the questions and I found myself explaining the purpose of Breastfeeding. I think I did a pretty good job. She said "I need to think on this." She walked away. I went back into the living room.

The Princesses and the Dragons were squared off in a no holds bard card game. It looked intense. I slipped into the couch next to Ben. He put a hesitant arm around me I did not push him away. After that Dance I was ready to let him back in the bedroom and my bed. I whispered in his ear "Move your stuff back in you are forgiven. He smiled and got up to do just that. I am sure he does not want me to change my mind.

Grandmother smiled "Finally forgiven him then?" I nodded "Good we need him to be strong." At that point Sam came in with a girl on his arm. She was pretty and seemed nice when he introduced her to Grandmother. Her name was May. He asked if she minded if she stayed for dinner. Grandmother said "It is not my house. You need to ask the house owner."

He said "Ok where is Ben?"

The room went very quiet. I stood up slowly. Grandmother said "Stupid Samuel very stupid!"

I looked him up and down. I said slowly "I own this house. As well as The Hall of Magic and The Circle of Magic. I am a quite well propertied woman I'll have you know. In fact I have Created almost every major building in Sanctuary! So you can stop being macho and do things right!"

He said "Don't push me little sister I out rank you. Push me again and I'll turn you over my knee!" That did it, the attitude was done.

I said "Come with me!" I went to the practice room. Everyone lined the walls. "All right Big Brother you crossed a line now I am going to show you what happens when you piss me off!"

He laughed and said "Bring it on squirt." I just smiled at him and lifted my hand the weave from the floor covered his legs pinning him to the spot. He started to rage and practically foam at the mouth. I recognized the signs He has been using Dark Water! I shook my head. I used a sleep spell on him and he drooped I made the weave fully cover him up to his chest binding his arms. Grandmother walked over.

She said "This is bad, Dark Water has got him. Any chance of purging it form his system?"

I shook my head "You know how extreme I had to go last time. I had to barrow magic from the 7 to do that and I almost lost him. Take the others in the house I need time to think." Everyone went except for May.

She said "What happened I never seen him like that. In the 3 weeks we have gone out he never acted like that."

I said "He has taken a drug called Dark Water. When overdosed it is fatal. I am trying to think of a way to cure him. Has he been doing anything unusual lately?"

She thought a moment "He started taking a energy drink after we you know." She blushed. "He keeps it with him maybe in his jacket." She handed me the jacket. I quickly found a bottle it was half full. The cap showed he had been using it to drink from. Not as bad as Ben maybe there is a chance. Grandmother came back in. I showed her the bottle. She confirmed it was Dark Water. I checked over the book again to see if I missed anything. I handed grandmother my link compact "Call Janis I might have something but I will need her help. May sit over there and wait. He will need a friendly face when he comes out of it and I am not too happy with him right now." I sat with books around me and my staff across my lap. I was in full mage study mode. "Get Sasha I need a few potions." I wrote a quick list and handed it to grandmother off she went. I prepared several spells to be cast in rapid secession. Grandmother got back with the potions and Sasha just as Janis got there. "Ok here is how it will go, First I hit him with the spells, then you pour the first 3 potions down him. Then I hit him with the big spell, then you pour the rest of the potions down him, then we wait and see what happens. That is when I will need you, Janis. If this works he will be very weak and it will be up to you to see him through at that point." We all took our places and we began. The spells were not easy ones but I got through them. then I pointed and Sasha used the potions When she was done I did the big spell then pointed and Grandmother used the rest of the potions . I turned the weave into a table and had his arms and legs restrained just in case. I nodded and Janis moved in. She went over him twice then stood back.

Janis said "You were right the Dark Water is gone from his system. It will take a week of constant care to get him up to full strength again. He is going to be a 250 pound baby for the first few days." I put my books away.

I said "Don't look at me I have way too much on my plate right now. How about his girlfriend.

Everyone looked at May and she straitened up and said "What do I do?" Well she gets points with me for that. Janis gave her the run down on what she needed to do to help him.

Grandmother said "Now we just have to get him to his room." I sighed went over and picked him up and carried him to his room in the house. After I laid him on his bed Janis and May took over and I went looking for dinner. Grandmother said "You are getting stronger all the time I wonder how far it will go?" I shrugged I was so tired I could barely stand. Sasha had got my dinner for me. It was on the table when I got there. I Ate and felt a little better. I decided to teach a class on the Crystal Weave.

A little while after dinner Grandmother took the Princesses and Dragons in for a Basics class and I took the rest into to the class room for a class on the Crystal Weave. Once seated I started with a overview of what the weave is and what it can do. Then we got down to making a simple scarf but of course Ronda, Josie and Cryss went a little fancy being crystal workers. It did not take long for all to have it done. So I went into how to make one with lace and other adornments. I did not teach an enchantment tonight. They did walk away with two scarves and a basic understanding of the weave. Tasha was working and Sasha was in the potion room so they were not at the class. This class will build in to many others. It was good I did all that mining a while back. I think I am going to need a lot of crystal for this class.

I put Cryss to bed and told her a story or two. When I went out I said "Good night little one." I felt pretty good now. I went looking for Ben it was cuddle time. So we got in some good cuddle time and talked out his fears about me growing beyond him. We finally went up to our room hand in hand. One crisis taken care of. Now there was Sam. I checked on him. May looked up when I tapped on the open door.

She smiled "This is one way to really get to know someone. Janis said he would be like a big baby, she was right. I will put up with it because I love him. I just hope this does not change him too much."

I said "Hang in there it is hard to fight through something like this but at least he is alive."

She said "That's what is important for now I'll yell at him when he is better!"

I laughed "I'll leave that to you. I have a houseful to worry about. He may be my big brother but today he shown he is not all that grown up. Goodnight"

She smiled "Thanks for letting me do this. Goodnight."

I headed off to bed after checking Alexis, Cryss and the twins. I did my nightly routine and finally crawled into bed and slipped off to a sound sleep. I woke and fed the twins on time then crawled back into bed.

The morning was hectic with so many people getting ready for the day. I Thanked myself for putting in a bathroom for every room or it would have been murder getting started in the mornings. After feeding the twins I checked on Cryss, Alexis, May and Sam. I asked May how Sam was. She looked sad "He stopped breathing twice during the night But Janis gave me this to put on his neck if that happens." She showed me a enchanted stone. "It worked and he started breathing again. I don't know how long I can take this. I am not a healer I hurt for him. I just don't know." I gave her a hug.

I said "You are doing fine the first night is always the worst. Janis should be here soon if I know her. I will have one of the maids bring you up some breakfast you need to keep up your strength."

She smiled "Thank you, Janis said she was going to stop at my place and grab some clothes for me. I hope you don't mind but it looks like I'll be here a few days."

I smiled "Your welcome to stay as long as you like. You make 25 family, 5 maids, 8 dragons and 5 cats in this house! If you are staying here you might as well be family. That is how you will be treated. One big happily crazy family."

She laughed "Sounds like fun. I was an only child so this does sound good to me."

I said "Well I got to get down there. Like I said I'll send something up for you." Then I waved and headed down to breakfast. I asked Sue to send some breakfast up for May. Just then Janis came in with 7 bags. I said "You moving in too?"

She smiled "I would save travel time but no this is May's belongings. Her landlord has thrown her out. Real nice guy said she was having guys over and bringing down the area. The gal next door said he was trying to get her out for weeks so he could rent it for more coinage.

I shrugged "Dori take the bags up to the spare room next to Sam's room. Would you like some breakfast before you go up Janis?" She nodded then sat at the big table. This place gets any busier we will have to declare it a hotel." We had a good meal and I said to Grandmother "I am strong enough to teach starting today. Where were you teaching?"

Grandmother said "Ok, starting on using like storms to increase spell strength. I'll teach the Princesses and Dragons more basics. That will fill my time."

So we gathered our classes and went to our rooms to teach. It was good to get back to teaching. I was really getting into it when it came time to end the class. I smiled and dismissed the class. I walked out just as Grandmother came down the hall. She seemed happy. I said "Mine went well how was yours?"

She smiled widely "Those kids are a pleasure to teach. They just soak up the knowledge like a sponge. I love it. I think we have a good bunch here."

I smiled "Well that's good I am going to check on Sam before lunch go ahead without me. I will only be a few moments."

She said "I want to see this let's go." So we went upstairs. When we got to the door we heard an argument going on. It was between Sam and May.

We looked in and Sam was saying "No we are not staying here one second longer than we need to. I made a fool of myself! I can't live here now. We will just have to find another place and that's it!"

May said "You are making a fool of yourself right now. Let's stay till we can find a good place not like the last one! I want a home not a apartment. Then we can get married like the princess did."

I said "What, Princess we have a whole lot of them in this house."

She smiled "The Queens sister of course. She was so beautiful. I did not have a good spot to see her face but the Gown was to Die fore! Why are you Blushing?"

Grandmother said "Because she is the Queen's sister."

May said "But I thought you were a teacher?"

I said "Let me introduce myself properly. My name is Her Majesty Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Queen of the Crystal Dragons, Princess of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Countess of Starstone, Grand mage of Sanctuary, Sister of Queen Angelica of Sanctuary, Sister to Prince Samuel of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Granddaughter of the former Archmage, Wife to Count Ben Starstone Captain of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary, Re-Founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator and Mother of the Crystal Dragons, Member of the Dragon 7, Teacher of the Advanced Magic Class at the Academy of Sanctuary. Founder of the Sorority of Magic and Founder of the Princess Betterment Group. There is more but they are minor."

Grandmother said "You were dating a guy and you never knew he was a real Prince?"

May said "Prince? You told me you were a Guardsman! How can you not tell me? You are in big trouble!"

I said "I think our work is done here shall we go to lunch?"

Grandmother said "Yes we have shown how far he stuck his foot in his mouth. So we can go now. Remember kids no hitting." Then we went down and had a good lunch. I went up to feed the twins and it was real quiet down at Sam's door. I decided I had done enough damage and went down without checking on them. Grandmother was teaching basics again so I was at a loss of what to do with myself for a bit. Then Vickie was there for our face to face and some paper work that just would not wait. That took till class was out and I could talk to the others.

Everyone was amazed when May came down to talk to me. I looked at her slightly mussed look and said "Lets go sit on the porch and talk." She smiled and nodded. When We were set I said "How's Sam? By your look I can guess you two made up. What did Janis say?"

May smiled "He is recovering fast. The worst is over. Now comes the hard part getting him to quit playing on my sympathy and get him to do what he needs to do for himself. This is what will take the longest. She also told me that jerk put me out of my place so I am going to have to find another place before I can think about marrying him."

I smiled "Follow me." I walked down and to the side of the house a short ways away and Nodded this looked like a nice spot. I brought out my staff and pointed it as I raised my other hand. Soon there was a two bedroom cottage ready to be moved into. Her jaw dropped. "Well go look at your new house. Tell me now if you want anything changed." We walked through the cottage and she just loved it. "you can move in as soon as Sam is well and he asks you to Marry him."

She grinned "He will do that by the end of the week. In front of everyone." She chuckled "I have been working on him for awhile now. I really do love him." We walked back and settled into the deep couch.

I asked "What work do you do?"

She said "I am a cook. It is what I live for. I have been doing it for 4 years now. I work in the Entertainers area. There is a troop there I work for. I am probably fired now though. I flipped open my link compact and called Tara.

Tara answered "Hello, oh Ember how are you?"

I got a little favor to ask. Do you know the Cook May?" She nodded "Would you tell the troop she works for that she could not be there because of a personal crisis that I am helping her through. They will need to find another cook for two weeks. Could you do that and get back to me. How's your Dancing going I can't wait to see you dance for the school again. Yes I'll hold." I flipped open one of my books and jotted down a few notes. Then she was back. "They wont wait, well too bad for them. I will find her another job. Thanks anyways." I cut the link. "I am sorry they wont wait have you ever thought of being a cook for a sorority? I'll talk with Grandmother. It is steady work and better working conditions."

She said "That sounds like some thing that would be good. Just one thing what is a Sorority?" I explained it and she caught on real fast. We got up and walked to the Sorority house and I showed her the kitchen. She fell in love right away. After that we went back so she could check on Sam and I could talk to Grandmother.

Grandmother was smiling "By the looks of May when she came down Sam is healing well. What have you two been up too?"

I said "I asked her what line of work she was in. She is a cook. The troop she was cooking for would not hold her job while she helped Sam over this so I was thinking."

Grandmother said "Here it comes."

I smiled "Why don't we have one cook and two maids at the sorority? It would give her steady work and she can really show her stuff in a kitchen like that."

Grandmother said "And she can marry Sam?" I nodded. We both broke out in big grins.

To be Continued

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the house just keeps filling up

Alecia Snowfall's picture

The house just keeps filling up. I think Ember should just scrub it and build a castle*lol* she is a queen now after all. The young dragoness' curiosity about human child care was cute. Sam still needs a swift boot to the butt though, he didn't apologize to Ember for the insult or thank her for saving same aforementioned butt. Great chapter Gypsy! *smacks the kudo button repeatedly*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Happy

Happy for Ben, Sam and May. Another great chapter.
Yes the house keep filling up and most probably will turn into a hotel like Ember have said. Lol.
The titles keep getting longer too. Double lol.
I just hope they can overcome this dark water problem.
Thanks GypsyWomen.

25 family, 5 maids, 8 dragons, 5 cats...

...and 18 titles. I think it's time to post a roster for us of everyone who's living there and why they're there. I know I have trouble keeping track of the more recent ones.

I guess we don't know whether the Guards still have a source for drugs/potions or whether Sam bought his a while back and didn't need it until recently. (He does seem to know more about dosage levels than the others did.) If they're being imported by the Shadow, I guess the good guys won't be able to prevent it until the final conflict takes place, though apparently they can still cut down the middlemen and make it find new minions.

I'm a little unclear on at least one distinction among dragons. Obviously each of the other dragon hatchlings has the same ability as Criss to take the form of a young human (a child, but a lot older than their dragon age) and communicate to English speakers. But Ember's dragon "grandchildren" don't: they normally communicate in a language that Ember has to translate, and they haven't yet been seen in human form. As dragons, they seem much less developed, more like preschool-age children than like Criss and the others.)

I'm disappointed that Sam has sexist ideas, though he may well be right, as the queen's older sibling, about outranking Ember in the line of succession. (Angel's children would be ahead of both of them.) It seems to me some female rangers (other than combat mages) might serve an educational purpose there. Ditto some good, experienced and cooperative male mages (and dragons) to interact with Ember and company.

Eric

Awesome!

I love this story so much. Is Spike the rock dragon a boy? or can only females of any race do magic?

nomad

Male Humans Can Do Magic...

We've seen a few of them so far, though not for very long. One of the unsuccessful applicants for the assistant head mage job was male; I think that's the most recent one we've seen. The Shifter who got into Ember's home a few chapters back disguised as her grandmother turned out to be male. There are some males in the beginning magic class. At least one of the disruptive folks shunted over from Crystalis in the first book was a male with magical abilities.

We haven't been told whether any of the dragon hatchlings from the other races are male. Silvia, Shade and presumably Windwalker are female. We don't know anything about Cinder and Spike except for the names and races, and Jazz had a speaking part but wasn't referenced as "he" or "she".

Eric