Beyond the Tales Chapter 16

Printer-friendly version


Beyond the Tales

Book 2

Chapter 16

Castle


jzgtj9.jpg

I finished the chat with Grandmother. A request came from the Queen of the castle of Dragon Scar for a me and another to come see them as soon as possible. Grandmother asked "Where is Dragon Scar? I have never heard of that one?"

I said "That is what they are calling the Castle where the Ladies of White Hall went. I wonder what they want? It has not been that long since they set the place up. There is a portal ring with the request. Hmm this is the one I made but it has been modified by someone who knows what they are doing. Hmm there is a message here. Let me project it.

To Princess Ember the Dragon Princess,

We of the Castle wish you to come to our Coronation of our Queen. Please use this Ring to arrive as soon as you can.

With all Respect and Love
The Grand mage of the Dragon Scar
Trai Morning Star

Grandmother said "That is not weird now is it. Can you get there with out using the ring?"

I smiled "Yes I can use a cloud step to get there. It would take being in Dragon form to do it. I can take two rider Dragons I might be able to get 4 if I really want to. I will take Skya, Misty, if I can I'll barrow Sie and Mie again I'll take them too. That should be enough firepower for any one.

The link compact thudded I smiled and answered Angels link "Yes Angel?"

Angel said "Did you call the Dragons again Sie and Mie just flew out of here real fast. I wish you will ask first."

I said "I was thinking of asking about it But I was just thinking about it. I do need them for a project though. So sorry if they jumped the gun a little. I'm going to be careful what I say and think. Here they just arrived." Sie and Mie settled down next to me. "I will have them back in a few days. Talk to you later and sorry again." I cut the link. I looked at the Dragons "You are to wait till I ask from now on unless there is a lot of danger."

Grandmother said "Well you have your troops so when will you be going?"

I said "As soon as I make arrangements for the twins that means I need to talk to Tasha."
I went to find Tasha and she was in changing the twins. "I need you to do something for me Tasha. I have to be away for a few days and I can't take the Twins with me. I need you to Breast feed them for me. Remember that potion I told you about. It would make that possible. What do you say?" I opened a the dresser and took out a bottle. "This would last a week. That is if you are willing to do this?"

Tasha said "You did hire me as a wet nurse. When do you want me to start?"

I handed her the bottle "Now, I have to leave quickly. I should be no more than 3 days. So don't worry." I watched as she downed the potion. I put the feeding alarm watch on her wrist. "I will be back as soon as I can." I headed out soon I was outside forming a cloud. I looked at Ben and Grandmother "I will be back as soon as I can be." I kissed Ben and hugged Grandmother. Then I shifted to 10 foot Dragon form and I was off. I circled up till I was in line with the cloud the Dragons grabbed on and I cast the spell and passed through the cloud.

We came out above the Castle. We circled, I used Dragon sight to scope out what was happening. The dragons dropped off and took up formation. It looked ok the guards at the Mirror are female so that checked out. As far as I seen no men. I spotted the Duchess Mirkie so flew down and landed on the balcony by her I shifted Back and the dragons found perches around me. She was sure startled but in a nice way. She said "The guards were to inform me when you came through."

I smiled "Don't blame them I came another way. How are you doing Your Grace?"

She smiled "Tomorrow it will be Your Majesty. It was decided two days ago. You are looking thin Princess?"

I said "I gave birth a little wile back. And it is Your Majesty now. I am Queen of the Crystal Dragons. Many things have happened since we last seen each others. Your Daughter is settling in nicely. The Princess Betterment Group is doing great. How are things going here?"

She said "We have had a steady inflow of women from all the small kingdoms. We are getting to the point we are almost a trade nation. It is going well. I am glad you came. You are the reason we are here and happy. The ones that wanted to go back to White Hall after making our statement have went. Yet we are larger than ever. This is a good place and we will let in men after they have proved they are not like what we left behind." She looked at the Dragons "These are the same dragons you had with you when you freed us. They were much bigger then."

I laughed "We can choose how large to be. Yes this is my Daughters Skya, Misty, Sie and Mie." As I said their names They shifted to Pretty young Women and curtsied. The Queen to be was impressed.

She asked "Intriguing how many Daughters do you have? I know you were Pregnant the last time you were here. We did not talk all that much."

I smiled "I have 9 Daughters and 1 son and 6 Granddaughters. All but the last 2 are Crystal Dragons. 8 were born of my magic and 2 of my body then 6 of the 8 had hatchlings of their own. It is all quit confusing. They are all my children and I love them."

She laughed "It sounds confusing. How long can you stay?"

I said "I have to be back day after tomorrow. My babies need me."

She smiled "That is understandable. It is just important to me that you were here for the crowning. If you will I would like you to be in the ceremony."

Another voice said "I insist on it. You are the one who started the exodus."

The Duchess said "That's enough! She is a honored guest I will not have her talked to that way. Your Majesty this is our Grand Mage Trai Morning Star."

I said "Ah so your the one that sent the message in the ring. Very nice work I almost did not spot the trap the first 2 moments." I tossed the ring at her "I made the ring in the first place so of course I would notice when it is modified."

The Mage asked "A Princess that can make portal rings who are you exactly?"

I said "My name is Her Majesty Ember Rose Del La Silver Skyflower-Starstone, Queen of the Crystal Dragons, Princess of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Countess of Starstone, Grand mage of Sanctuary, Sister of Queen Angelica of Sanctuary, Sister of Prince Samuel of Sanctuary, Daughter of Queen Aslina of the Great Hall of Crystalis, Granddaughter of the former Archmage, Wife to Count Ben Starstone Captain of the Royal Guard of Sanctuary, Re-Founder of Sanctuary, Leader of the Six of Sanctuary, Creator and Mother of the Crystal Dragons, Member of the Dragon 7, Teacher of the Advanced Magic Class at the Academy of Sanctuary. Founder of the Sorority of Magic of Sanctuary, Founder of the Princess Betterment Group, There is more but they are minor. Does that satisfy your curiosity?"

The Duchess said "That is some list of titles makes mine look puny in comparison. Well it certainly shows what I always thought you are a Noble lady to be sure."

Trai said "Grand Mage of Sanctuary well that is quite the task from what I hear. Please forgive my remarks." With that she strode away.

The Duchess "Well that is a first, you impressed her. I have tried to do that since she moved here. We need to get a drink and talk about the ceremony." We settled in the room and talked all day. My girls watched but did not say much. Then the attack came and my girls shifted back to Dragon form and I shielded the Duchess as well as lightning bolted anyone who tried to get past the Dragons. I did not have much to do. The Royal Guard came in and caught the attackers and I dropped the shield. The would be Queen snapped some orders and the attackers were taken away.

I smiled "Apparently not everyone loves you. Looks like it is going to be a long night." That was what it was. Protected by 5 Dragons the Would be Queen made it through the night.

As the Queen to be was getting Dressed for the ceremony she asked "Do you have anything nice you can changed into or do you need me to find you a dress." I switched to Princess mode Because I had not designed an Queen mode yet. She looked me up and down "Damn you look outstanding. I look ok for a rushed job." She looked at my girls and they had dresses like mine but in one color. "I wish I had something better but we are out of time." I smiled and raised my hand and several Silver items in the room flowed into a weave and Swished up her creating a silver lace overdress. It took her look from oh hum to damn nice! I came over and checked the fit.

I said "If I had some crystal to work with I could have done better but this is nice."

She smiled "It is perfect. Thank you again. You seem to always know what's needed."

The ceremony was strait forward and short. There was a lot of people in the great hall and she walked up with me behind and the girls around her. The Crowning was done by the highest ranking person in the hall. That would be me. After the Crowning She made a speech and she sat on the Throne. That was it ceremony over She got on with the tasks of the day. Every one seemed to take her as Queen now. So I said I was heading home.

She said "Thank you, now that that's out of the way. We can get things done. You have saved this castle and it's people a lot of trouble you are always welcome here and tell my daughter she was right. Good bye." We went to the courtyard and shifted to Dragon form and flew up and out of the area. I used cloud step to get back home.

When we arrived I sent Sie and Mie home and Dispersed the cloud. I was home I walked to the house and entered. It was lunch time and everyone was about to sit down. Ben and Grandmother came over and gave me a hug. I took my place at the table and things went well all through lunch.

After lunch Grandmother took the Princesses and Dragons in for their Basics lessons. Ben headed out to do his job. I looked at Misty and Skya and asked "Alright since when did you two have human forms?"

Skya said "We wanted to know more about you Mother so we tried and finally found the spell. We have been working at it for a week. We were going to surprise you when we felt better about it. Looks like we did."

I smiled "That you did. Tell me next time you want to do something this big ok? You all were real pretty by the way. Does all the brood know how to do this?"

Skya said "Yes Mother all the brood. Cryss uses it to take on her true form. She has known it for awhile now maybe a month. She and I have been working to change it to change a Dragon to human for a short time. She also worked out the dress spell." Looks like I need to talk to Cryss about keeping secrets and working magic without telling anyone. Just then Jessel came in helping Cryss. There was a towel on her leg. I got up and pointed at the couch. Jessel helped Cryss sit and I knelt and removed the towel from her burnt leg. I remember the burns Learning fire dance so I did not ask I just was glad it was small enough that I should be able to heal it. I started the heal but the skin was resisting.

I looked up at Jessel "This is not an ordinary burn. What happened?"

Jessel said "She tried to work white fire. It bit her." I knew what to do now. I smothered the burn spot with an crystal shield then Began the healing. White Fire is magic fire it lives if it is not smothered by a non-burning shield. It is the magical version of white phosphorus. Truly nasty stuff. It took awhile but I managed to heal the burn.

I said "Your done for the day. We need to talk about the risks your taking! But for now you need to rest. Thanks Jessel for bringing her to me."

She said "I remember you and Raina used to heal each other. Wonder what ever happened to her? She just stopped coming one day."

I said "Her parents split up and she moved away with her Mom. It was a sudden thing. There was a lot going on at that time so I just let it go. I thought you knew. Well we all move on at some point."

She said "Sometimes you are such a cynic. But that was the way of the Pits wasn't it. Always moving always changing."

I stood up "To beat the Pits you become like the Pits Always moving Always changing. That is the way I survived those days. Now it is a habit. Move from one project to another. Change myself to fit the needs of the day. Be in the moment while remembering all the other moments. The code of the Pits."

Jessel smiled "Never get it out of your blood do you? I trained a lot of girls to Dance within the fire. Yet I was always looking for the one the one that will best me. You know what I never did till I left the Pits. I'll tell you the tale someday. I have to get back now." She laughed as she left, she knew she got me. I was hooked till she told that tale. I leaned down and picked up Cryss and carried her up to her bedroom. I knew how much energy and magic it took to work white fire. She was out before we hit the stairs. I smiled and held her close as I carried her. I put her to bed and looked around the room magic books alongside little girls stuff. She was in between two stages of her life. I will just have to be there for her and support her the best I can.

I went down and Tasha was feeding the babies I just watched for a few moments before saying "You are a natural at that. I would like you to continue till I get back from Crystalis tomorrow. I will give you the counter then. That is if you don't mind continuing?"

She shook her head "I don't mind. May I ask what you are going to Crystalis for?

I smiled "I am going to pick up a Teacher for the Beginning Magic class and maybe a housemother and maids for the Sorority house as long as I'm there. I am not sure if I will go for that or not I am only going for half a day so don't know if I'll have the time. Well I'll let you get back to work." I went looking to see if Grandmother was done with her class yet. I had lost all track of time with out having to feed the twins the day was just slipping away. Fortune smiled on me and she was letting the class out early.

I caught up with Grandmother just as she was sitting down in the living room. I smiled at her "I'm going to Crystalis to get a magic teacher tomorrow afternoon do you want me to pick you up anything or anybody? I will be going kind of fast so consider this when answering."

She said "How fast we talking about? I would like a few bodies from the hiring hall. 4 in fact. A housemother and 3 maids."

I grinned "I am going to the Mage hall to get the teacher. Then I can stop at the hiring hall then back here. How dose that sound fast wise. I wonder if my status as a Princess of Crystalis would help at all time wise?"

She grinned "It better help or else what are titles for. Use my name when your at the Mage Hall if you have any problems. I will make sure the Alpha hall is ready when you get back."

I was puzzled "What is your name all I have ever called you was Grandmother or Archmage? Oh and keep Cryss back from the practical tomorrow. She was hurt in it today and I don't want her to push it till I have had a chance to talk to her about it. Before you ask she was trying to work white fire and it bit her. I was able to heal her but she is out of it in her room right now. I know what it takes to work white fire and she is pushing it big time to try that."

She mused "My name it has been so long since anyone has called me by my name. You will laugh it is totally an earth name, Edith May Valentine-Skyflower But say the last Archmage. That is all people will remember anyways. Yes I will hold Cryss back from the practical. I remember when you were learning fire magic, how tired you were all the time. You never did white fire did you?"

I looked away "Just once, it bit me an I was scared of it ever since. I still have the scar. Fortune smiled on her I am a better healer than Raina ever was. So Cryss will not bare a scar at least not one on the outside. If you flinch with fire of any kind you are in trouble and being bit that bad makes you flinch, the good ones can get over it some can't. That is the real reason Raina left the Pits. She could not get passed the fear of getting bit again. Once bitten twice shy just don't work when you are working with fire."

Grandmother smiled and put her hand on my arm. She said "You say she is asleep in her room?" I nodded "I will look in on her a little later. I think you should nap after dinner you have been going a lot lately. That was not a request."

I smiled "Yes Grandmother." So we were finally going ahead with the Alpha Sorority. It felt good to be moving on that.

May came over and said "Sam can go back to work. I can't take his acting all sick one moment and trying to jump me the next. He is playing it for all it is worth. and I have come to the conclusion that if he tries one more time I am going to slap him or crawl into bed with him so yes he is ready and so am I. Janis said when he started to get to be a hand full to give him light duty."

Ben walked in I called him over "Ben, May says to keep her pure, it is time for Sam to go on light Duty." I looked at the blushing face of May "I am picking up the housemother and maids tomorrow so you will be working end of the week. How is your other project coming?"

She smiled "Right on track. He will ask by the end of the week. If he does not I'll ask him I am an enlightened girl."

I said "When the date is set the cottage is yours. As a wedding present." I shuddered and fell back in the couch.

Ben moved to me "What's wrong?"

I said in a small voice "Someone is trying to break things, things that I made. It hurts, Ben it hurts bad. They are using Ice magic. They are not doing too much damage yet but they are working up to it." Ben looked at Grandmother.

She took my hands "Let me feel what you feel. Let me ease your pain." As she was doing this, Ben went to the mirror and called Byron and ordered more patrols at places made by me. He called up the reserves and sent them looking for the bandit.

I slowly pulled myself up. I knew where she was. I knew who she was. I called Misty and Skya to me. I used the pain to get me moving. I said in a strong voice, She is going after the Queen! She was a Lover of the outcast I defeated. she is going to attack the throne room soon." I sent the thought to Sie and Mie "The Queen is in Danger Protect the Queen!" I strode outside where I went Dragon and I was Mad! Ben was right on my heels with Skya and Misty! I said loudly "She touched something with her magic for too long I seen her whole plan! She is on her way to the Crystal Hall now. I am tracking her the patrols are slowing her down but not stopping her. She is using shadow magic to hide herself from them." I flew right to the entrance to the Crystal Hall and turned to look outward. I pointed "There she is!" A shadow moved and the Ebony and Silver Dragon was revealed. I said "You went after my family your life is forfeit!" She tried to blind me with Ice storm. I took the spell from her control and centered it on her. Then I twisted the spell to make it fire storm! The part Silver Dragon was vulnerable to fire. She screamed as she tried to end the spell. When I let the spell go and the storm dispersed I was within claw distance and I grabbed the Attacker's neck! As it was I could break her neck and kill her or I could do something more cruel. I forced her into a human form and then stripped her of her magic! Then I left her there crying while I decided what to do with her. Then the Ebony Queen and the Silver Queen were there.

The Silver Queen said "What are you going to do with this outcast?"

I said "She went after my family because I defeated her lover. This I will not stand! I have trapped her in this form and stripped her of her magic. There is no way for her to return to being a Dragon. I will ask you two as to what you think I should do with this one?"

The Ebony Queen said "This one has been punished but is still dangerous as long as she lives, I would send her to a place where she can do no harm. This matter is settled." The Ebony Queen vanished.

Silver Queen shrugged "Take her memories and put her somewhere where she would not hurt anyone. This matter is settled." The silver Queen vanished.

I looked at what was left of my attacker "Looks like your fate is sealed. I will be merciful and take your memories and see you are taken care of. I started the spell and soon her past was a blank. All that was left is the need to be helpful! I turned her over to the Queen's maids to be trained to be a maid. I was still hurting from the damage she had done. I looked at the others "Let's go home." Towards the end of the flight I was barely keeping in the air. When we landed I almost fainted. Ben caught me, picked me up and carried me to our bed. Grandmother helped me change into a nightgown. That is when she seen all the bruises that were caused by the attacks on my creations. There was almost 50 bruises all over my body, all large and inflamed red, purple, yellow and some even black.

Grandmother said "I will go tomorrow you are in no shape to go. You will stay in bed. You will not leave it for any reason except the bathroom. All classes are canceled tomorrow. I will set the girls to decorating the alpha house. It is a good job for all of them. The maids will see to your needs so stay in bed and recover. Or I will put a sleep spell on you and make you." She looked over at Ben "You be careful with her till those Bruises go away or you will deal with me!" He nodded. So I let the pain put me out.

I slept most of the day and the next. On Friday I got up and stayed up. I wanted to hear about this new teacher and how the Sorority was going. I took back feeding duty for the twins and then went down to breakfast. Everyone asked if I was feeling better. I stated I was but I was still moving kind of slow.

I looked at Grandmother she had a file at her elbow. "I asked "That wouldn't be the file on the new teacher is it?" She nodded and slid the file over. I picked it up and glanced at it.

Name Nancy Sue DeMont
Levels 7th level Earth 6th level Air 6 level Water 5th level Fire.
Born Crystalis
Current residence Crystalis
Teaching background 10 years, The Pits Crystalis
Schooling Transcendent Academy for Girls
Level achieved Graduate with honors

Well this one would be prime. "What's the catch?"

She said "She is a bit of a maverick who teaches things her way only. She can be sweet as long as she was getting her way."

I said "So sounds like me?" I smiled at my little joke.

She did not smile "Exactly, she's what you might have turned out to be if things were different. You two will clash hard!"

As long as she does her job, I will give her a lot of leeway in her teaching style. Darla was not know to do things the normal ways. I will give her time for now to show us what she got. Then if needed we will clash. Is she registered?" She nodded. "Then I have no problem with her at this time."

Grandmother "If that is your last word on it. I will leave it be." After Breakfast was over I taught a class on spell turning. It was a unusual way to go but the fight brought it to mind. Then I dismissed the class for lunch and we had a good meal. I sent the class off to practical and went to feed the twins.

After feeding the twins and changing them I went to take a look at the Alpha House. I got there and opened the front door and looked around it was nicely decorated. A maid stepped out and said "May I help you? This house is not open to the public. What is your purpose here?"

Just then May came out to see what all the commotion was about. She frowned when she looked at what was happening. "Mary may I speak to you a moment."

The maid walked over "What is it?"

May said "I think you should be a little nicer to this guest."

Mary said "Why it is just someone off the street."

May said "I don't think so. Do you see the portrait that she is looking at. Do you know who that is of?"

Mary said irritated. "The Founder and owner of this House."

May said "Do I have to tell you this Guests name before you get it or how about a few of her titles? Like Princess of Crystalis, Princess of Sanctuary, Grand Mage of Sanctuary. Not enough How about Queen of Crystal Dragons. Are you really that dense? She is the Founder of this Sorority, Her Majesty Ember Rose De La Silver Skyflower-Starstone. Yes she is really that young."

Mary asked "How do you know?"

May said "Ember will you put Mary strait as to who you are please."

I said "As you wish, May." I switched to Princess mode. The maid Mary's jaw dropped. "When is Sam going to purpose? You said end of the week? This is Friday."

May said "He will when he gets home tonight. If he does not I will know what type of man he is."

I said "You already know what kind of man he is, A Prince. It takes a strong woman to make up their minds for them. I may be his sister but I see the writing on the wall! I you want him you will have to ask him. You know you got me and Grandmother behind you so you will not have a problem."

May made up her mind you could see it on her face. She said "If he does not do it by the time the young ones go to bed, I will ask him. Does what you said hold true if I ask him?"

I smiled "Of course as long as he says yes. The cottage will be yours. The wedding will be on him though. Don't worry his family is loaded!" I smiled at my joke. "Is the housemother here? Can somebody show me around?" So for the next hour May showed me around. Then the Housemother got there and she took over as May finished her duties. The housemother Lanora was a nice older lady who was also a level 8 Ice mage. So she should be able to keep up with the girls. I left the Sorority house with a good feeling about the project.

I got back home and Jessel was there this time with Alexis. It was not a burn this time but blown eardrums. A side effect of having air magic blow up in your face. I looked at her and healed her ears. She could hear again. I checked her over and sent her up to rest. Dang it I guess I am the house healer now. One more thing on my plate. I guess I am the one who makes decisions most of the time. I would be the one to call in Janis if I thought it was needed. Why should a 16 year old girl need to take all this on? Because I am made for it.

I wondered where this is all going to end or does it ever truly end? Crystal Dragons live as long as the person they are bonded with do but I am that person so How old will I get? I could out live them all. I remembered my dream after the outcast fight a hundred generations calling my name was that a prophecy or a warning? Now Ben is like me a little bit will he live a long life too? And Cryss being the first do the rules apply to her? I am going to dive myself batty with all this I am going to go see the twins.


To be Continued

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcome and Loved!

up
159 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

too funny!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Ember standing in front of her own portrait and still not recognized. *lol* I just had the visual of somebody following her around with a sign proclaiming all her titles and at the bottom "Yeah, it really is her!" great chapter Gypsy. you keep us all addicted to this fun world!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Sounds Like a Great Job...

...for that blanked-out ex-dragon at the castle (g).

Eric

Binding Crystal Dragons...

...sounds like an awkward fit: from what we've seen so far, there doesn't seem to be the kind of attachment that McCaffrey's dragons form. (It's also not clear that crystal dragons are ever going to reproduce using eggs that could bond, since so far they've all been formed directly and there aren't any crystal males yet.)

If binding is what Ember did (or tried to do) when she gave the other dragons to the rest of the Six and Darla to raise, then it sounds as though either the binding can be broken or it didn't work. At least, Darla and Misty probably don't have a connection; if they did, Misty, now that she's back with Ember, would know where Darla went, if not necessarily why.

Eric

Very cool!

Edith May, nice touch not giving her a fancy wizard name. Brilliant chapter!

nomad

Ember had so much on her

Ember had so much on her plate to start with, and no it seems she has second helpings without even starting on the first. Seems like she really is going to need a scheduler, secretary, and a couple of "gofers" to get everything down in a reasonable amount of time.

Another great chapter

I really enjoy this story a lot. You keep throwing those "curve balls" well

Joanna

Ember's creations.

it is scary how Ember's creation can cause negative impact to her body if they are being attack or destroyed.
It is good news that all the brood can turn to human form. I bet they all now can attend school with their human form. Interesting. :)