Glimpses 2

Printer-friendly version

(This should have been the first Glimpses. Oops.)

Spotted in flight

Date: [redacted]
Time: 0135 PDT
Location: [redacted]

"Ding!"

The bored radar tech looked at the display to see what the automated system was upset about this time. One glance and his boredom vanished.

"Holy shit!"

He slapped a large red button on the console and as a klaxon sounded, he spoke rapidly into his mike.

"Security alert! Our mystery bogie is back..."

The display showed something that was performing low level aerobatics over open countryside. And doing so in cheerful disregard of not only flight regs, but several physical laws.

"Yessir. Just like before. No IR signature. Radar return says it's really small or stealthy as hell..."

"Well, if it isn't stealthed it's smaller than an ultralight, sir. But ultralights don't maneuver like that."

Half to himself the tech muttered "Hell, nothing maneuvers like that"

Meanwhile fighters were scrambling and security teams were deploying on the ground to pre-plotted locations. The bogie had popped up a number of times over the last year. And it seemed to favor certain locations. The ground teams were deploying to surround the ones where it looked like there'd been a landing.

Team 7 was well hidden in the brush around a large clearing in the forest. While there'd never been any evidence of whatever it was when they'd searched after previous occurrences, it was still thought to be landing site since the target had been lost in the ground clutter only to reappear at the same spot later the same night.

"OK, HQ says it looks like we're the target. Get ready."

Weapons, cameras and other instruments were readied.

It was a moonless night and in the countryside the night vision gear didn't help as much as it might. They were afraid to use IR in case it could be detected.

A small dark shape suddenly came into view against the sky and drifted down. Just as it reached ground level, the team leader spoke "Go!"

Several jets screamed overhead as the clearing was lit brighter than day and an amplified voice roared "Don't Move!"

For a moment those on one side of the clearing had a clear view of a very scared looking young girl in a Supergirl outfit hovering just above the ground. And of a young boy in her arms.

Then the boy grabbed her hand and the clearing was empty.

The team leader swore. "Not mutants again! Why can't it ever be aliens..."

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet

Jamie Lee's picture

Oh this was a good chapter. And the last sentence said it all.

Others have feelings too.

I like, I like.

I like, I like.

Love it

The last line was one of the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

Agreed.

Huh

Tas's picture

A new character, introduced in a very short chapter, and hints that this flying has been going on for a long time. Interested to see where you take this, so....

Next chapter!

-Tas

Not Mutants Again!

Still, for a team like this one, it would just make sense to expect a mutant first. Alien Craft usually would follow the laws of physics given they were most likely a gadget and not a devise. Though a 1 of craft, probably being a devise, would have no obligations to the rules of physics. Well probably not to any rules at all.

Cassie Ellen