Slave of the Fae: Chapter 3

Printer-friendly version

Blood and Fire

I looked at Sam, I couldn't believe that he had been a girl. He was huge, even bigger than my Phys ed teacher and he'd been in the NHL. With his dark black skin, buzz cut, brown eyes, hands that looked like they could crush a coconut and legs that were as big around as my waist, there was nothing feminine about him. Not even his dark blue shorts and open, short sleeved shirt looked remotely like what a girl would wear.

I was about to call him a liar, then I remembered until a few hours ago I'd been taller, skinnier, and very different looking. “Why did they change you?” I asked.

His eyes went down, and he started wiping his hands on his long shorts like they were dirty. “They wanted a fighter, a strong fighter. They said I had the spirit but not the strength.”

He was silent and it didn't look like he was going to say anything else. I looked at my chest, and once again brushed the hair from my eyes, the long hair was getting annoying. “Wouldn't it make more sense to find a guy to be a fighter?”

Sam shook his head. “They don't have many humans. They're building up a supply, but from what I understand this realm, The Bitter Winds Steading, is one of the bigger ones in Canada, and it only has twenty three humans including you. There are a few with over a hundred slaves, but they're near places that have lots of poor and refugees that can disappear easily and don't remember how to protect themselves from the fair folk. When I was tricked I was told I was to be an entertainer, I thought it would be acting or dancing. The fair folk wanted a fighter, it was easier to just change me like they did you, than to trade me for someone better suited to their needs.”

“Have you been to other places?”

He nodded, “I was taken by a wandering fair folk group. I traveled through South America, and went up north until I arrived here two months ago. Then they had to give me away when they lost a bet about who was the better singer. Happiest day of my life getting away from those psychopaths.”

I perked up, “Your from South America?”

“Yeah, Argentina,” he said with a frown. “The poorer part of Argentina up in the mountains.”

“You don't sound Spanish,” I said. It was true, he was speaking perfect English.

He waved his finger around. “Magic. To me it sounds like your speaking perfect Spanish. I met a scholar near Mexico City, who was ordered to explain fae magic by his master. By the time I met him the man had been working on it for eight years and when he wasn't catatonic from trying to make sense of it all, he was talking about how this is a spirit realm where our souls talk, and the fair folk are the old gods that have been abandoned by humanity.”

“That's im-” I shut my mouth, saying anything was impossible was now impossible. “What do you fight?”

“Animals mostly. Bulls, bears, wolves, moose, dogs,” he said, wiping his hands again, a little harder this time. “Sometimes they've been improved by the fair folk. Jasper, the one who changed you, considers himself an artist in that way and he is always trying to find improvements to the original design.”

I remembered the way the wooden faced creature had smiled as he was changing my body. I shivered and it wasn't from the cool air. Hastily I pushed the thought from my mind, it was that or fall to the ground crying and screaming.

“Sometimes I fight a fair folk. One of their young warriors or a weak one that has won the displeasure of his betters. I like those ones,” he said, miming himself grabbing something thin and squeezing hard enough to make the veins in his hand to pop out. “Before I would have to fight humans. Other gladiators for the amusement of the courts. That was usually to first blood, first fall or unconsciousness. Three times it was to the death.”

The dark look on Sam's face made me finally shut up. At least I knew why Paula had left when Sam had made his fists. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of a fight with him if there was any other possible choice in the world.

We finished our meal in silence.
**

We were just leaving the cafeteria when one of the hypnotic balls of lights appeared. Sam turned his eyes away, grabbed me by the arm and covered my eyes. “When a whisp comes up to you, look away. They'll lead you into hell for a laugh. But sometimes, like now apparently they're used as messengers. Look at the ground, follow their glow, but don't look at them or they might forget their mission.”

As he moved his hand from my eyes, I looked down at the light spot just beneath the whisp. I resisted the urge to shake his hand from my arm, first of all because it wouldn't do any good his muscles felt like iron, and second I still felt the urge to look up at the beautiful lights of the whisp.

We followed it through the halls and fields of the steading. I didn't look around, I could feel the intense concentration coming from Sam, he knew something was wrong and he wanted to be ready for whatever it was. It was infectious, but I had no idea what to prepare for, so I simply tried to control my breathing like I did before a big test. I ignored the shells that glowed violet and left the taste of watermelon in my mouth as we stepped on them. A swamp covered in a thin layer of hard mist where things moved beneath the surface, splashing the syrupy water as they reached for us only to his in pain when they touched the mist.

When walking across a mirror I saw myself, my old self, walking alone towards us beneath the mirror. He, I, was leaving a trail of blood with every step, limping painfully on bloody feet, I could see the bones where the skin had worn away. But I wasn't crying, there was a look of triumph on my face. When he saw me, the triumph turned to utter contempt and loathing. I'd only seen that look once before, when my mother saw a dying rat in the basement.

I shut my eyes, letting Sam guide me. Eventually after walking through an area where I couldn't even hear myself breathe, we stopped. The silence was shattered by laughter, music and talking that drove me to my knees.

The noise of the party was like a wall of sound, even Sam flinched. I heard a hundred different conversations shouted into my ears, the music shook my bones, laughter echoed through my brain forcing out all thoughts. I felt my ears start to bleed, my heart stuttered overpowered by the noise. I opened my eyes, but all I could see were black dots, it felt like I'd run a mile. I couldn't breathe. It felt like I was dying.

The noise died down as quickly as it began. The music, the noise, the laughter, it was all bearable. I was standing on my feet again, my heart was beating normally. I felt my ears, they didn't hurt, but my finger came back wet with blood. I looked at Sam, hoping he could tell me what was going on. He was shaking, and I realized he'd let go of my arm. A drop of blood dripped from his clenched hand.

Paula came over, smiling broadly. “Ant, Sam, I'm glad you could join us. I was talking to her Ladyship and we decided that we should have a celebration to honour our valiant hunters who brought us another humble servant.”

“What do I have to kill today?” Sam asked, rubbing his hands on his shorts again, smearing blood on the blue fabric.

She clapped her hands excitedly, as if he was asking what song he'd have to sing. “Jasper has spent the last week on a black bear, it's going to be so fun watching our strong, handsome, masculine gladiator kill it. Don't you agree Ant?”

I ducked my head and slid behind Sam, she scared me more than some of the fae. The tall woman laughed her hand moving as if to pat my head. Sam shook his head slightly, moving in front of me so I could only see his broad back. For only just meeting him, Sam was quickly becoming my best friend ever.

“His name is Anthony. If that's too long for you, call him Ann,” Sam growled as he flexed his shoulders.

“You can't protect her all the time Sam,” Paula hissed, leaning over his head to look at me. “She can either learn to stand on her own feet, learn who the real power is here, or she can fall when you do. Think carefully, Ant.”

As Sam ground his teeth, she walked away to sit at the Lady's feet. The blue hand of the fae woman patted her head like a dog, leaving sparkles of ice in her blonde hair.

Calandri came over to us. “You dancer, and you fighter, come with me. You will both perform.”

“I still can't dance,” I squeaked, fear taking my voice away.

The red woman didn't even glance at me. “It is good you aren't dancing then. We are going to see how graceful you are. Do better than you did earlier. You humans are fragile, and I would hate to owe Jasper a favour if he has to fix you.”

My heart started to race again. “I can't do it, Sam. I always screwed up in gym class,” I whispered.

“Just let your body do it, follow your instincts,” he said. “It's how I survived my first fight.”

“I don't have any instincts,” I said, hugging my stomach. I really wanted to puke just then.

Sam sighed, “Your body has the instincts. Just don't get in it's way.”

I tried to ignore the fae who watched us. There were more of them now, it looked like hundreds. I felt their eyes boring into me, bright blues, flaming reds, swirling stars, lightning, glittering mirrors, and more. My eyes focused on Sam's back.

“Sit, step into the ring when you are called,” Calandri said pointing at two furry, orange chairs that shifted as I watched them.

Sam sat down without any comment, his chair squeaked, it's five legs shaking. I poked my chair, it was warm to the touch, I thought I felt a pulse. Calandri looked at me, her pure white eyes began to glow yellow, I practically threw myself into the chair.

The chair squealed like a pig, the legs bent and threw me into the air. I landed on a floor which resembled a net made of jewelled strands, my face pressed into the hard wires, I could see a forest floor was far below us. Pain lashed across my skin as the strands sliced my skin. The entire room burst into laughter.

A strong hand grabbed my leotard, pulling me up so hard I was looking straight up into a canopy of yellow trees, filled with winged creatures who were laughing and pointing at me. The sight lasted a second, as I landed on the chair hard. My tailbone slammed down and fire erupted all along my spine.

Sam's hand remained attached to my back until the squealing, bucking chair finally stopped moving. Calandri's eyes were on fire now, sparks flew from them as she watched me. I put my head between my knee's hoping it would all go away. The laughter slowly died away, but the echo of it wouldn't leave my head.

The music eventually stopped, a voice that was like the howling wind began to speak. “Gentle folk, this event will see blood shed. The human Sam, warrior, killer, vicious beast, will fight bear, gentle giant, harmless pet, innocent creature. Enjoy.”

I had to look up, Sam was walking across the net stepping on the blue strands as if they were were a solid floor, sometimes he had to skip to reach the next one. How did he know the blue strands were safe? Why hadn't he told me?

I caught a glimpse of a big bellied creature with a gigantic nose blow itself away from the center of the net. It's mouth was as large as a basketball and a howling gale came from it. It flew backwards into the top of the tallest tree. It should have looked funny, but the rows of teeth, flashes of light from it's throat, and the way the wind whipped around the room howling like wolves made it so bizarre it was terrifying.

Something that looked like a bear was lowered from the trees by ropes of fire. It's black fur was singed, but it didn't seem to care. The gentle giant was far larger than any black bear I'd ever seen, this was the size of a bull, it's claws were silver and gold each one as long as a butcher knife and barbed at the end. It stood up roaring, revealing a belly covered in an insect shell from the throat to the rear. I didn't know how Sam could be so calm. He said something I couldn't hear over the growling of the monster, a small wooden club flew through the net into his hand.

He was going to fight that monster with a club no longer than my arm? He was insane.

The bear walked forwards, the net was rock solid under it. Sam kept moving on the blue strands only. They circled each other, feinting with the club or claw, constantly moving, their eyes searched for any opening. The bear lunged, forcing Sam to jump back, landing on a red strand which bounced as if it were a trampoline.

Sam almost fell, the bear raced forward. My new friend spun around like a bull fighter the bear raised its gigantic paw to strike him. The club came down hitting the golden claws, they shattered like ice. The monster howled in pain and anger. Sam rolled away as the bear spun around trying to bite him, it wasn't even close. Sam came to his feet on a green strand, bouncing on it, raising his arms ignoring the bear, the audience howled in joy. I saw Paula scowling even as she clapped with the rest of them.

The monster ran at Sam, totally enraged. At the last second, he turned and it looked as if he lightly tapped the bear on the nose, yet blood erupted around the club, coating the wood and Sam's dark skin. The bear tumbled head over heels, its blood colouring the lower leaves of the trees. Sam easily jumped over it letting it slide under him. The crowd screamed again, some ran or flew down to lap up the blood.

“COME ON!” Sam screamed at the bear. “We're not done yet. They want blood, so get up. FIGHT you mangy beast!”

The monster got up shaking it's massive head in obvious pain. I wished it would stay down, I didn't want it to hurt Sam, but this was torture. The animal had as much chance against him as I did.

When the monster wouldn't advance, Sam raced towards it, using the unstable strands to leap straight at it. The bear swung it's good paw at it's enemy, but it was too slow, the club came down on it's head, it sounded like a mountain collapsing. Even as the bear fell to the ground, he landed on its head, he reached into it's mouth ripping out a fang. As the monster hit the ground, Sam killer jumped off, raising the bloody fang and club in the air.

The fae went mad with delight.

I watched in disgust as some of the smaller creatures landed on the monster, each one ripping off a chunk of meat with its hands or mouth, flying away in a shower of bloody mist. In less than a minute there was nothing left but a skeleton. Sam disappeared into a crowd of admirers.

As the cheering stopped, I saw that all eyes were on me.

I so wanted to run away just then. But when I looked behind me, I saw Calandri, eyes glowing and her fiery red hair dancing in the steady wind that flowed through the forest. I looked around, hoping to see some kind of support, but the only human I saw was Paula, her thin face was lit up like a child at a birthday party. This was going to suck.

I stood up, and stepped onto the netting which formed the ring. I put my foot gingerly on a blue strand, it was cold on my feet, slippery to. It bent dangerously, I almost lost my balance trying to stay on the thing, it was about as thick as a baby's finger.

Stepping back I tried a yellow strand, it supported my weight although it was hard to keep my balance. Taking another step, I ended up on a black metal strand, my shoe started smoking. I jumped away, the fae started laughing again as I stumbled from one strand to the next, only staying upright because I wouldn't stop moving.

Suddenly my foot found something stable. Looking down I saw a red strand, it was as solid as a rock and despite it's thinness my whole foot was supported. I looked around for more red strands, they were few and far between.

Great.

Paula stood up, “Gentle folk, today we are to see the newest servant to the Bitter Winds Steading, Ant, perform for us. We shall see such marvelous feats of skill and grace you will all be amazed. So please let us give the amazing Ant an applause.”

As the fae politely applauded, I saw a smug smile come to Paula's face. I was going to fail and she was going to watch. I needed to throw up. Fighting down my fright I looked around, wondering what they expected me to do. Was I suppose to start jumping around? Do some gymnastics? If that was what they wanted, it was going to be boring.

A small bird flew down, it looked like it was on fire, each feather smoked, heat rose from it making the air shimmer, it had a beak as dark as coal that looked razor sharp. I had a bad feeling about this. Especially as the onlookers became deathly quiet, a few even leaned forward for a better look. The fire bird flew at me, it wasn't really fast, only about as fast as I could run. I jerked to the side, not willing to leave the one part of the net that actually supported me. It passed by, missing me by inches, but a wave of heat rushed past my arm. It stung and the sweat of stage fright dried instantly. I look at the skin, it looked like I had bad sunburn.

The bird screamed like a woman, I turned to face it again. The thing was coming back, faster now, aiming for my stomach, it's black claws were outstretched, they looked cracked and each line was a dark sullen red, like burning embers. I threw myself to the side, landing awkwardly on the threads, bouncing over them getting nicks, cuts and burns. My arms and legs got tangled in the spider web like floor, I flailed around, trying to free myself only to yell in pain as the sharper threads sliced into me. A bone dry wind hot enough to singe my black hair blew over me. I smelled smoke coming from my clothes.

Somehow I rolled onto my back, there were two fire birds now. They were flying high above me, circling, twisting, and spinning around each other, between them the air was glowing, turning yellow, heat came off of it in waves. My eyes felt so dry, blinking hurt.

Ok, Sam had said let instincts take over, I could do it. Just stop thinking, that should be easy for me. I focused on the birds, ignoring everything else. They were going faster now, blurs of light that hurt to look at. There was music again, wild music, it hurt the ears almost as much as the heat hurt my eyes. Why couldn't they shut up?

The birds came down ready to gut me with their claws, or burn me with the fire between them. A scream of fear left my lips. My hand grabbed a black thread. I screamed louder as my palm burned, yet somehow with just a jerk of my hand I was standing. The blue thread bowed so much I thought it would break. My eyebrows were scorching and I smelled the foul scent of burning hair.

At the last second my knee's bent and I leaped. The thread pushed against me, it felt like I was shot out of a gun. The forest floor looked to be a hundred feet below me, small branches and leaves hit me. I saw the crowd staring at me, the fire birds were under the net, tracking me, setting fire to the bushes below.

I couldn't figure out how to land, I hit the net hard. My left foot hit a red thread, the other a green one. Another yell of pain, it felt like my left foot was broken. The green thread snapped flaying my skin. I rolled, clutching my legs, tears came so hard it was impossible to see.

The flapping of wings filled my ears. I was in the middle of an inferno. Heat surrounded me, I felt myself peeing, the heat boiled it away before it could even make my underwear damp. I thought I had screamed before, that was nothing compared to the howl that tore itself from my throat. The blistering air filled my lungs.

The heat disappeared, I was so hot, so thirsty. I could drink an ocean and I would need more.

More fire birds were dancing above me, the fiery lights were moving too fast to count, the air shimmered, glowing red. There was no way I could survive that, I was going to die. Somehow I got to my knees, resting on the red thread. I don't know why, but something in me didn't want to die on my back.

My hand shot up suddenly, catching something that was flying at my head. I hadn't even noticed it until I was holding it. Dumbly I saw that it was a silver knife. Turning I saw Sam walking away back into the crowd. Shaking I stood up, the birds came down, shrieking in delight. My knife flew faster. It speared the largest bird that was leading the dive. The flock shattered in a panic. My body, it wasn't me, I wasn't in control at this point, my body leaped up, catching the still burning bird wrenched the knife from it's body, I heard something sizzle but ignored it.

I landed, but instead of stopping I used the net like a trampoline. One jump, two jumps, a third, I was in the midst of the confused and panicked birds. Their heat was almost overwhelming. The knife slashed through the air, none of the cuts killed, instead they cut wings, ripped out tail feathers, and tore open the fiery skin. The air filled with shrieks of pain, some of them mine.

We fell from the sky, a ball of silver and flame, scratching, biting, slashing, burning. We hit the net, I stopped, they kept going. There was applause, cheering, thunder, lightening, howling wind. The last thing I remember was Sam picking me up.

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dancing to Stravinski?

Podracer's picture

Obviously the Fae idea of dance is as confusing as the rest of their world. Still, it's movement, performed with some control and perhaps some grace, and don't some combatants dance with death?

"Reach for the sun."

Dancing with death

Domoviye's picture

There was a reason for this type of test, it was mostly to see how she could move, but there were some other things involved.
As she discovers what's involved, she's going to have to learn or die.

Beautiful Terror

terrynaut's picture

Or terrible beauty. Either way, this was an amazing chapter, being dark and yet beautiful, at least to my mind. It seems like an ongoing dance of death. I hope Ann(thony) survives.

Thanks and kudos (number 26).

- Terry

Thanks.

Domoviye's picture

I started this story a year ago, and it was my first big attempt at getting some real action into my stories, up until then I had always gone more for emotions, psychological fear and a bit of craziness. So I'm not thrilled with the scene as is, but it's good enough.
And Anthony is going to be fighting for her life and sanity pretty much every step of the way. Poor kid.

Well... this is pretty dark.

Well... this is pretty dark. I really hope s/he gets out of this and kills a lot of Fae in the process.

Well, actually...

Domoviye's picture

This isn't the happiest part of the story, but it's one of the lighter parts.