Secondhand Life - Part 36

Printer-friendly version

I tried to sleep, but if I got any it was brief and fitful. I was a bit of a wreck the next day. Dennis understood and went easy on me. Mikey seemed to think I was hung over, and it seemed easier to let him think that. For whatever reason he went easy on me too, I was grateful.

I was sitting on the balcony just enjoying the warm sun and gentle breeze, maybe I was dozing in and out. Mikey came up behind me and gave me a gentle hug.

“I just wanted to say thank you for last night. ….and for everything actually.”

I grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. “It was a joy. And thank YOU for making me your plus one.”

“That one was MY joy. God I can't imagine if I had gone with anyone else.”

“Yeah. I can't wrap my head around where either of us would be then. Well.... you would still be bound for show business, but the trip might have been a bit different.”

“A LOT different!” Mikey laughed. “And where did you see yourself in this alternate universe?”

I furrowed my brow, but I really didn't need to think about it. I had already sorted this out ages ago. “Still living at home. Trying to find a job that paid enough to get out of the house... maybe a few jobs so I could scrape together some money to go to uni.”

“And study what?” Mikey asked. It was an innocent question, but still, he caught me.

I shrugged. “I haven't the foggiest. I never knew what I wanted to do with my life. I imagine I would continue to flounder. Maybe some day I'd sort it out. But it's too easy to imagine I never would. I'd just drift through life, an odd gangly outsider.”

“I'm sure once you got out on your own you'd make friends.”

I shook my head. “I don't see how. To have friends you have to let them in. Let them know you. I didn't even know myself. I don't think I would have become bitter or tragic or anything. I think I would just drift. Always alone and not minding. Not knowing any better.”

“Sounds tragic enough to me.” Mikey said gently. “Anyway, that path is closed now.”

“True. I will have enough to get out of the house and live comfortably for a long while.”

Mikey put up his finger “Or lavishly for long enough to forge your own success!”

I laughed. “Right. Doing what exactly?”

“You could model.”

I snorted. “Already been done. I'd just be a knockoff. Anyway, I've seen enough of that world to know it's a brutal and short career even for those few who DO make it. No thanks”

“Well, you can sing and dance. And you have a very quick and dry wit.”

“Just like two thirds of the graduates with dramatic arts degrees. And again, I'm at best a pale imitation of an established brand.”

“You could be a Katherine Keller impersonator!” he kidded.

I shot him a look. “Don't you think that field's already too crowded?”

He grinned. “Just a thought. So, what do YOU want to do?”

“I'm not sure. It's still too far off. Right now what I want to do is keep my head in the game, ace this Asia tour, figure out a way to explain everything to my mum and dad, find a place of my own and THEN figure out exactly what I want to make of my life.”

Mikey squeezed my shoulder. “I'm sure you will cuz. If there's one thing everyone will agree on, it's that you ARE resourceful.”

I reached up and grabbed his hand. “From your lips to God's ears.”

Mikey then leaned over and kissed me on the top of the head. It should have been strange. But it was just a tender gesture, and I felt a warm happiness come over me.

***

Dennis quietly came over and set a tall glass beside me. It looked like shampoo. Or motor oil. I glanced at Dennis, who clearly read the confusion on my face.

“Dr Dale's recipe. Katherine swears by it.”

I reflexively puckered my lips. “I'm familiar with it.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“I had a sleepover. During the cast recording rehearsals?” I was sure I had told him. I guess not.

“Anyway, I'm not hung over. I just had ...a rough sleep.”

Dennis regarded me for a long while. I don't think he was buying it. “Whatever... this will still fix you up. And whether you're feeling it or not, after five...”

“...Meg Ryans” I snorted.

He stopped cold and tilted his head like a perplexed German Shepard. I waved it off.

“...it's a long story...” I smirked.

“But a ….cute... one?” his face twisted to a half smile as his eyes crinkled at me.

I just returned his gaze, pasted on my Mona Lisa smile and gingerly sipped Dr Dale's vile concoction.

***

Once he was sure I was 'rejuvenated', Dennis became merciless.

“Now that you've had your lazy, lounge-around-like-a-starlet morning, it's time to get off your pretty little behind and get to work girl! We're out of the country in just three days and who knows when we'll be back... it's time to....” His face froze when he caught my look. I wasn't coming back. We'd drop Mikey in Brisbane and Katherine and the tour still had to do Christchurch, but then I'd be done too. Either they'd drop me or I'd find my own way home from there. Dennis was so wrapped up in the preparations for the trip that I think that far-off detail hadn't registered yet. Until he saw my face.

His own face fell and he looked down at the floor. He was obviously feeling awkward and maybe embarrassed. I walked over to him and gently placed my hand on his forearm. He slowly raised his gaze from the floor and sheepishly looked up at me. His mouth was doing a thing that made him look like he was chewing gravel. I smiled as warmly as I could and rubbed his arm.

“Yeah. We have a lot to do and not much time left to do it. So where do we start?”

His mood was subdued, but he got back to his mental checklist.

“I've booked you into Katherine's spa. You're getting the full treatment. Hair, nails, face... and a full wax. Everything we did before the premiere has held up an amazing long time with surprisingly little need for touchups.” He let a tiny chuckle slip.

“UNLIKE Katherine, I'm guessing.”

He nodded and blushed. “She was ….IS.... somewhat ….higher maintenance.” He glanced back at the ground again.

I tried to distract him. “OK. Hair and nails... sculpt my face and ….peel me like a grape.” I let in a melodramatic draw of air as if cringing from the anticipation.

It worked. He laughed.

“OK. What else?”

“Well, a visit from Dr Dale. He wants so make sure you've had all your shots...”

“I'll bet he does“ I muttered.

“I mean for international travel. Innoculations and such.”

“and SUCH.” I grinned.

Dennis shook his head, smirking. “Stop that. OK. You know the routine by now. Anyway, he needs to check his ….handiwork... and probably ….reinforce things.... before your bikini wax.”

“Bikini Wax???” Playful banter was over. I was genuinely alarmed.

Dennis broke into a wide grin as I stared into his laughing eyes. I scowled back at his joke.

….At least I HOPED he had been joking. He got back to business.

“Then a few fittings, we're traveling all over the place. From Northern China to way south of the equator... you're going to need an expanded wardrobe for all sorts of seasons....”

I nodded. I had a passing thought of 'who gets all these things when the tour is over – me or Katherine?'
Immediately followed by the thought 'what on earth would I even DO with that wardrobe?' Even if, as I had insinuated to Doctor Karidoyanes & Dale that I couldn't see myself going back to life as Lorenzo Carlton, it's a far cry from humble working girl in transition to anyone who would require or even have a use for Katherine Keller's wardrobe. That was all too far in the future to become distracted by it now, I thought to myself and turned my attention back to Dennis, realizing that I had already become distracted for a good while.

“...with Mr Lehman, then a day off for loose ends and personal matters... and before sunup the next day, we're all in limos to the airport ready to get the band back together for the last leg of our tour.”

I nodded as if I'd been paying attention to everything he said. That's the great thing about 'being Katherine'. Even though Dennis and Dez know it's really me, to the rest of the world, I'm Katherine Keller... who is always in need of adult supervision and an army of minions to keep her on schedule. So even if I missed everything Dennis said, I trusted that there would be a swarm of drones to manouevre me through it.

Doctor Dale arrived in time to join us for brunch, and insisted I have another vile glass of his 'go juice' after hearing Dennis' tale of our night at Tritium and my FIVE absinthes. At some point, I would tell him MY version, but it was still too close and I was still processing everything. Dennis went in to my room and brought out my 5” sandals and Dale just stared at us in disbelief. Dennis seemed to be really enjoying regaling Dale with tales of my terrorizing the 'puny humans'. I think it was a sort of humble brag, sine he more than anyone was responsible for my ...intimidating... outfit the night before.

He brought out his smartphone and quickly found some shots from our 'selfie-blitz' leaving Cheval de Mer. Dale just stared at them and kept glancing at me. I tried to look inscrutable. It wasn't too hard because I was still rather dazed thinking about what we had done the night before and how I felt about it. I had no reservations about helping Mikey – and Dennis – network. I didn't think Katherine would be too upset about the over-the-top Katherine act. I even suspected that she would be amused in her own way. I was a bit more conflicted about how much I enjoyed it. The feeling of power and dominating a room was quite seductive, and I was uneasy at how quickly I had taken to it and wielded it like a weapon... and the ease with which I had done so.

Dale regarded me for a while longer. I said nothing. I wondered what was going through his mind, but half of me didn't want to know. He finally shook his head ever so slightly with a tiny grin, rummaged around his bag for a bit and handed me a small vial of tablets.

“Muscle relaxants”. His eyes darted back to my sandals from the night before which Dennis had brought out to show off and set by the counter. “You wore those for how many hours last night?”

I shrugged.

“Your calves are going to be in agony when they finally realize what you did to them.” he grinned. “Good thing you were so hammered, or you probably would have been in too much pain to walk out of the club.”

“I was NOT hammered!” I declared ...with much more certainty than I felt.

“FIVE absinthes? YOU are not a reliable witness.” he smirked. “well, you've certainly done nothing to tarnish Katherine's reputation.... if anything you've enhanced it!” He was enjoying needling me far too much.

He directed Dennis to brew up another cauldron of his vile elixer. OK, it was really just a glass but it should have come in a cauldron. When I learned his base - stock was green tea which he then ruined with his protein powders, megavitamins and various herbal goo until it had the consistency of mucous, I had to ask.

“Why do you call it Go Juice and not Go Tea?”

He threw his head back and roared. “Oh, God... I can't believe I never thought of that... and in all the years no one has ever suggested it! ...then again, they were usually barely functional when I'd give it to them.... Haha... yes... the drink that puts hair on your mouth. God, I'm going to miss you when this is all over!”

And instantly the mood in the room crashed.

And I tried not to wince as I dutifully forced down another glass of Dr Dale's viscous remedy.

The mood was subdued, but we proceeded with the ritual, I was zonked out, torn down and built back up. All the ...original equipment... seemed as good ….as it ever had been... and was once again hidden away like an unsightly and embarrassing birthmark. Dr Dale certified me 'good to go and spa ready' and Dennis went to assemble my outfit while I slowly came out of my haze.

Dale studied me. There was something in his gaze. I imagined it was the look someone would get from a loving uncle... benevolent... affectionate. At least that was what I imagined a loving uncle would do. Since my only personal experience was with uncle Kevin, who always eyed me with a look I have only ever seen on dingos, I had to trust my imagination.

“I guess this is it.” he said quietly. “You're off to storm Asia, and then home to your own life....”

I snorted reflexively.

“...and Katherine can come out of her cozy exile and resume her own life.”

I nodded sullenly. Then Dale's eyes crinkled as he held up a finger.

“....correction.... the life you left for her.... which is considerably more ….enhanced... than the one she left behind.”

I just looked at him. Was that a slam? Was it a compliment? I had no idea what he meant by that.

Then he smiled. “God, Dez and company got their money's worth with you sweetheart! They should owe you a bonus. Hell, Katherine should pay it out of her own pocket for what you've done for her company and the way you've enhanced her brand.”

I began to speak, but he cut me off.

“Let me finish. I don't think you would accept a bonus.”

I shrugged. I probably wouldn't but it would have been nice to be offered.

“I think you believe that you were the winner in this deal.”

I shrugged again, And felt the heat of a blush.

“Maybe both sides got far more than they bargained for.... beyond what either would expect... or could imagine.”

Now I KNEW I was blushing. Dale was gracious and ignored it.

“But Katherine gets to come back to a world of opportunities that were not there when she left. And that's all thanks to YOU. And from what I understand, her people have been ….managing expectations... so that the opportunities left to her are achievable - despite her.. more modest..” he cleared his throat “.....her limitations.”

What could I say? So I just continued looking at him. Expressionless.

“She will be fine. Hell, she will be better than fine. Crashing her car into that pool turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to her. Go figure.”

His eyes went somewhere for a few seconds. I noticed Dennis and Mikey had been tactful enough to leave the two of us alone, but I was sure that they were snooping within earshot. Finally Dale refocused.

“And then there's you.”

I shrugged. What else was there to do?

“You go back home. But you're not going back to your old life.”

“Doesn't really seem possible.” I shrugged.

He nodded. “So in helping out Katherine, and Dez Lehmann, and everyone else involved in her life and work, you sacrificed your entire old life.”

“You make it sound like I gave up something valuable. It wasn't. I just didn't know it at the time.”

“So what takes its place?”

I shrugged again. “I know and I don't know. I know what I want ...need... to do. But I'm still sorting out the steps to get there. First, I will cash that checque.” I grinned.

I was going for levity, but Dale remained impassive.

“....Then I will move out of my father's house... find a place ....far enough away from ...old baggage. And make a fresh start. ...begin to build a new, more satisfying... more...honest...” I reflexively blew out a breath while I struggled for the proper word. “A truer life.” I smiled, trying to seem confident.

Dale nodded. He remained expressionless.

“You don't agree?” I asked. My self confidence was beginning to wane.

He shook his head. “No. It sounds like a plan. A good one. And as well as I know you from our few, but ...frank, encounters... it sounds like the right plan.” I was relieved. Yet he still didn't look happy. “It's just an enormous amount to do. And the way you describe it, it sounds like you'll be doing all of this alone.”

I shrugged. “I'm used to it.”

His expression got thoughtful. “Maybe once you begin living a life ….as you put it, truer to your nature... you may find you stop pushing people away and won't be as alone as you expect.”

I hadn't thought of that, but the moment he said it, it seemed possible.

“Perhaps. Still, I'm prepared to go it alone if need be. The only path is forward.” I was trying to convince myself as much as Dale. “It will happen. I won't stop until it does.”

“I have no doubt. Among the things I have learned in our months together is that you are not to be underestimated. You are the most resourceful.....” he trailed off and seemed lost in thought again.

I clapped my hands together loudly in a 'that's-that' gesture. “Well, are we through here?” I wanted to get off this awkward subject, especially since we talked it into the ground. “...because I have to go get beautiful!” I said with what I hoped was a dazzling smile and carefree air.

“Get?” Dale laughed. “Oh alright. Go get pampered!”

“Pampered?” I scoffed. “I'm going to get sanded and lacquered and peeled. You guys have NO idea what we go through. Beauty is a pain!” I grinned.

He shot me another unreadable look. “Yeah. I guess that's true. But I'll take your word for it. ….although if it's half as unpleasant as you make it sound, you may want to take one of those muscle relaxants before they start in on you. It may take the edge off. Just don't mix them with alcohol.”

I smiled and flashed a finger wave over my shoulder as I breezed back to my room to see what Dennis had laid out for me.

It was a drastic change from the previous night's outfit and I was quite pleased. A cream cotton peasant blouse with lovely cranberry and forest green embroidery, a pair of wide leg velveteen slacks in chocolate brown, and some comfy looking espadrilles in light parchment brown.

Dennis saw me eyeing his selections and must have thought he needed to justify it.

“I figured you'd just be stripping all this off when you get to the spa, so I was thinking easy on easy off and and go for comfort.”

I nodded, flashing him a smile. “Absolutely! They look as cozy as pajamas. Once I get them on, I may want to curl up and nap.”

He grinned and turned to go quietly singing “Dream lover' to himself.

I threw a pillow at him but he spun and shut the door too quickly, smirking.

***

The spa was expecting me when I arrived, so I imagine the short wait in reception was just to hydrate and steel myself for what lay ahead.

I was sipping a water and thumbing mindlessly through a magazine when a voice above me cried out “Christ. They'll let anybody in here!”

I didn't skip a beat. Without looking up, I muttered “So I noticed. Quit stalking me bitch.”

Bianca plopped down next to me. “In your dreams freak.” She was trying hard for deadpan, but her eyes were starting to crinkle with a smile.

“I'd reschedule, but we have a ...thing... in a few days, so I can't. But you can.” I said, still staring at my magazine and trying to hide my own smile.

“A THING? ...you call boarding a chartered plane to tour what, a dozen countries for three weeks a thing?”

“I think it's only 10 or so, but more than a dozen cities.... closer to 20....”

“Whatever... pfffft...” she waved her hand dismissively. “You're off to jetset around the world and you're so casual about it, meanwhile I'm here to get all presentable to suck up to studio suits in Anaheim conference rooms.”

“Blue Balls?” I asked wondering how long it took her not to blush when saying it, because I was struggling.

She just nodded. I think she still blushed a little.

“I thought that was a done deal?”

“You of all people should know it's not over, even when the project's in the can.”

I nodded back. “So neither of us can reschedule. Well, it's certainly not the only place in town. You could always go somewhere else.”

“You know there's no one else in town as good. Hell, you were the one who turned me on to this place.”

My eyes darted to her, sitting beside me, looking like she tasted something bitter. She sighed. “You found them first, I suppose I can't tell you to go somewhere else.”

“....Like …..hell?” I smirked, still looking at my magazine.

Bianca chuckled. “That would work.” Then I noticed out of the corner of my eye, she turned to me “but that's not gonna happen, so let's just agree to stay out of each others way, and try not to scream too much.”

I turned to her, I think she saw the confusion on my face.

“I presume, you're doing the wax room.” It wasn't a question.

“Does it show?”

Bianca shook her head, waving her hand dismissively. “No, no... You've got that whole ….yeti thing... totally under control. I just thought since you were hitting the road for about a month....”

I nodded. “You're right. But no worries. I've got it covered.” I said, fishing into my bag and shaking the vial of muscle relaxants. “Doctor's orders” I smirked.

“Dale Coughlin, right?” she eyed me. I nodded. “Damn, there are days I wish I had ME a Hollywood crackpot 'doctor'....” she made air quotes with her fingers “....and this is one of them. No wonder you're so chill.” Then she leaned in to whisper. “You're high as a kite already, aren't you?”

I shook my head. “No. I just always try to be prepared.”

“What the hell, were you a boy scout?....” she started to snark and stopped short, blushed, coughed and fumbled for a magazine. “...sorry...”

What exactly was the ….thing... between Bianca and Katherine? It was really beginning to nag at me, but I reminded myself that it was none of my business. Oh well, time to be the bigger person.

“There's like a dozen of these in here” I said shaking the pill vial. “I'm waiting until shortly before the waxing. I don't want it to wear off midway through.”

Bianca nodded.

“I sure don't need them all. Take some.” I held out the bottle.

Bianca regarded the bottle for a moment, glanced at me, then back at the bottle. I think she was still uncertain, but I wasn't sure whether it was over Katherine being nice, or taking some pills supplied by the notorious Dr Dale. She made up her mind with the slightest nod and took the bottle, removing a tissue from her bag and folding it around a few tablets. She may not have made up her mind about taking them, but at least she would have them when she did decide. She shot me a curious look which I read to mean 'why are you being so nice?'.

“Sharing is caring” I tossed off as I rose and walked toward the attendant waiting for me by the door. Bianca just shot me a perplexed and ...conflicted?... look. I waved my fingers over my shoulder and headed off to go get pampered ….and tortured.

***

Reflecting back on that first time in Dez's hotel suite, I think the saving grace for me was that I had no idea what was in store, so it was over before I even had time to cry out. But this time, I knew what was in store, and the dread and anticipation only seemed to make it worse. I excused myself and took a quick break for a water ...and washed down one of Dr Dale's little yellow pills.

It did help 'take the edge off' as he said. I wondered if I should have taken two. Then I thought about Bianca. I hadn't told her how many to take. I think she grabbed three or four. Oh crap. I totally forgot to pass along Dale's warning about alcohol! I hoped that she would just be cautious and wouldn't need either warning. At this point, all I could do was hope.

After the 'peeling' and the plucking, the pampering felt doubly delicious.

As I lay on the massage table and melted under the strong hands of Ivana who rubbed warm tea tree oil from my shoulder blades down to my calves, I had to fight the strong desire to purr. After the flaying, having her strong fingers knead my tense muscles into jelly was simply indescribable.

As I hovered in a blissed out haze, which I truly believe was due to Ivanna's magic fingers and not Dr Dale's little yellow pill, there was a knock at the door. Mira, another attendant, inquired sheepishly if Bianca could join us.

“I'm terribly sorry to bother you Ms Keller” she nearly groveled. “But Ms DeMedici was quite insistent...”

I waved my hand airily. “I know how she can be....” I fought my urge to smile and retained Katherine's stone face. “That's fine. Sure. Let her in.”

As soon as I said that Bianca stepped out from behind the attendant and plopped herself face down on the adjacent massage table. “See? I told you she wouldn't mind. We go waaaay back. We got NO secrets.... am I right Katie?” she tried to prop herself up on her elbows and almost succeeded flashing me a crooked grin. I took an educated guess.

“I'm guessing the muscle relaxants worked?”

“Ohhhhh yeahhhhhhh.” she grinned. “Wax on... wax off... chchchchch...” she made this graphic ripping sound “piece 'o cake!” she craned her head around the room “Hey... Mila?”

“It's Mira” the attendant standing right beside her gently corrected.

“Another wine. I seem to have lost mine....”

The attendant scowled discreetly.

“And one for my friend Katie here.”

I smiled at the attendant. “How about two waters? Or better yet, can we get two coffees?”

The attendant nodded with relief and scurried out of the room.

“God, you're no fun.” Bianca scolded. I assumed she was addressing me, although she raised her head and turned to an empty corner of the room. “I remember when you used to be fun.....” she kind of ran out of steam for a bit and Ivanna resumed my massage while Bianca just stared at the floor, resting her head into the massage table. She was just taking long, deep breaths and part of me hoped she passed out or fell asleep. But she was just catching her second wind.

I still AM fun! You can ask anyone. Ask your boyfriend... “ she said it like a taunting 6 year old. I think she tried to make air quotes, but she just opened and closed all her fingers on her splayed hands. “He'll tell you I'm funner than you now.... God, I remember when you used to be fun.” she slumped on the massage table and faced the floor, breathing steadily. I hoped she had fallen asleep. No such luck.

“....I had such a mad crush on you.....” she muttered

I turned to Ivanna and asked if we could have 10 minutes alone. She seemed relieved to get away.

Bianca continued her semi-coherent ramble, still staring through the table, addressing the floor.
“I can read people. Always could. And I knew you were crushing back.”

“I...”

She immediately threw up her arm and held her palm out to stop me. “NOT finished here! ….I've never been wrong about people.... not ever. I was sure that minion of yours ….Deano... Denholm...”

“Dennis.”

“Yeah, HIM. He was trying to keep us from getting together.... Damn, it took me forever to get you alone...” she seemed to space again. Then she barked a bitter laugh. “I'm never wrong about people. ….but damn, was I wrong about YOU.....” she just stared at the floor, breathing raggedly.

I didn't know how to respond. How Katherine would respond. I think Katherine would have just stayed as far away from Bianca as possible and this moment could never happen.

“I really had no idea.” was all I could think to say.

“How can you SAY that? ...we had CHEMISTRY... everyone saw it.... even your guy Dermot.”

“Dennis.” I sighed. How do I get out of this? I remembered Katherine's warning about building bridges. I had to find a way out of this without making peace. I gambled.

“You say you're good with people.”

She nodded. “Always was. Still am. ….....Except you.”

“Yeah. I'd consider your record intact...”

She turned to me with a tentative look of ...hope? I quickly shook my head.

“No, you still misread me. But you said you can read people. I guess that just means I'm not like other people.”

She laughed bitterly. “No shit!” She paused, staring again at the floor. Then she pulled in a deep breath. “Sorry. Out of line. You are what you are.... and I'll just have to deal with that. I just never expected....” she shook her head. “I thought....” she seemed to be struggling to find the right words.

“Well.... If you know anything at all, you know I'd be the last person to ever out someone.” She raised her head and turned to me. “Even you.” then she collapsed back down to the table and continued talking to the floor. I remembered Dale's talk on the plane back from Connecticut and his mention of 'ambiguous genitalia'. I had a hunch Bianca found out the hard way.

“So it wasn't me. ….you've never been with a woman?” she said, still staring at the floor.

I hoped I wasn't putting words in Katherine's mouth, but I answered for myself. “No. Not really. ….or a man.....”

She snorted. “Well, I guess I got as far as anyone had.”

“Farther than most.” I guessed. “Sorry about the ...mixed signals... I truly had no idea.” I was certain that Katherine really didn't, but would never admit it. I however, thought I could find a way to get this subject buried once and for all. “I guess it's like being colorblind. You saw the light change from red to green, but I just saw it go from brown to brown. It really was the mother of mixed signals.”

“Hell of a movie that would make....” Bianca muttered.

“Nevermind the movie. Imagine the tie-in theme park ride.”

That finally got a laugh from Bianca. Ivanna and Mira must have been evesdropping, because as soon as the mood lightened, they returned with our coffees and we finished up our massages in silence.

I spent hours at the salon, but I knew it was the major tune up before we shipped out, so I figured the whole laundry list of services was necessary. I was tickled to find that my own hair had grown out enough that the extensions weren't really required. I did get a color touch up to Katherine's deep auburn, and thought it was so much more becoming than my own mousy blonde.

While I was between chairs, I texted Dennis a progress report and noticed I had a message. I did not recognize the number.

“R U free @ all B4 U lv 4 Asia? U still O me a smoothie ;-)”

I grinned and dialed the number.

Matt picked up on the second ring.

“Hey! I didn't expect you to actually call. You must be crazy busy. “

“You have no idea!” I laughed.

“Well thanks for taking a moment out of your hectic schedule. You leave for Asia in a few days, right?”

“Have you been reading those trashy gossip magazines again?” I teased.

“Only for the sports section.” he laughed. “So, before you leave I wanted to get that smoothie you owe me.”

“Seriously? Wasn't that photo op at the ball game – AND the restaurant after, payback enough?”

“I don't recall there being a smoothie in any of that. You SAID you owe me a smoothie” he said playfully.

I sighed melodramatically. “OK. Literal boy... I'll try to wedge you into my compressed social calendar” I think he could hear the smile in my voice. “What does your calendar look like?”

“Wide open.”

“What about classes? ...track practice?”

There was a pause.

“I'm kind of …..taking a semester off....”

I did not see that coming. “You're not going to school?”

“Not at the moment. I'll explain face to face. ...so my schedule's wide open... I'm catching a bus back to Montana in a couple days, so any time between now and then.”

“I should be through here in about 45 minutes. How close are you to Beverly Hills?”

up
341 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

There Will Have To Be a Resolution To All This

littlerocksilver's picture

I just hope that no one will be seriously hurt physically or mentally. And, what will our heroine finally do? She and Katherine are so much alike in so many ways. She couldn't pull it off, otherwise.

Portia

I don't see that at all

Elsie is really nothing like Katherine actually. She has had to constantly restrain her own buoyant good nature and empathy (which Katherine is very limited in those areas) and great people skills.

All it shows is what a great actress she is, that's it.

Excellent story

Bobbie Sue's picture

I have read the story from start to here in about a day and a half. I love the tale and your style of writing. So I have also started reading "summer", and find it very good, too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this story turns out. As I am a hopeless romantic, I look for a happy ending.

Decisions, decisions

I have a hard time imagining her in any other context. There is the potential for much sadness when life returns to normal. I'm both curious and dreading it at the same time.

Cindy.

Cindy Jenkins

All stories must end

...but not anytime soon.

And if I do my job, it will end at a point where the reader is free to carry it on in their own imagination. I do not believe in cul-de-sacs.

...but then again, neither did Katherine, which kind of set up the premise for this story in the first place. ;-)

We're nowhere near the end. And when it eventually does come, it won't be the end of the story... just the end of my telling it. It should be full of ....possibilities.

...at least that's the plan... :-)

Thanks for reading.

K@

Truly she is underpaid

The value she has added to the lives around her is only starting to sink in to those around her as they realize that she will 'disappear' after this. With any luck Dennis and Dale will continue to have contact with Elsie though sadly she will literally be on the other side of the world.

As far as bonuses go, she deserves at least 10% of everything Katherine makes of the opportunities that Elsie has obtained for her. This makes sense as Elsie has essentially been her agent through all this.

Oh and as far as her future goes

She might have an opportunity with a certain billionaire. This billionaire will sadly have to report his security lapse as he has shown advanced US technology to a non-US national, even though he did not know that at the time. No matter what though, said billionaire has revealed tech to an uncleared person.

Anyway, I think she certainly can win him.

Though honestly

If he were smart, he would worry about winning her. I do not think Elsie's head can be turned by mere money.

A good chapter, but kind of depressing......

D. Eden's picture

This has been a truly joy filled story - not a lot of stories on BCTS have me smiling as much as this one does. But this chapter, as good as it was, had some definite down moments; that's pretty much a natural effect of all of the discussions about LC's imminent departure and the real Katherine's return.

Even with all of that thrown in, you still managed to end on a high note - Literal boy indeed! I'm very curious as to what is going on with Matt; why the sudden departure from school, and why the impending trip back to Montana? I can picture several scenarios that would cause this, and I can also picture multiple ways in which this could potentially impact LC's life.

We finally found out the "thing" between Katherine and Bianca. It's truly too bad that Bianca just doesn't understand that Katherine is not really capable of responding to her, or of actually interacting with people in that way. LC unfortunately is in no position to do anything about the "thing" though as Katherine has specifically ordered her not to build any bridges that she would simply burn down later anyway.

Somehow, someway, I hope that LC ends up happy and manages to use the good will she has built up for Katherine to her own benefit. Wouldn't it be nice if Dale was in fact correct? That both parties had gotten much more out of the arrangement than anyone planned or expected?

Looking forward to reading more Hon!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Oops. Sorry.

I was going for introspective rather than depressing. :-(

I just wanted a reminder that I hadn't forgotten the issues bubbling underneath the zaniness, and hope to address them all in time.

My apologies for 'bringing down the room'.

K@

With the way Dr. Dale was

With the way Dr. Dale was acting and talked a few times, I am left wondering if Katherine is actually going to come back at all, or is it possible that LC will 'take over' Katherine's public life entirely, while she goes in a real private life? Then LC could begin to slowly change Katherine to becoming a 'better person' than she is currently known to be.

I hope the good doctor is

I hope the good doctor is trying to arrange it so Katherine and Elsie are able to be around each other. It's clear she is having an impact on Katherine in a way Katherine likes, but with Elsie needing to be herself.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Bianca

so she was crushing ? interesting ...

DogSig.png

The Future

Barring the possibility that the original Katherine self-destructs and makes the temporary role permanent, we still have the romantic interest with the tech billionaire to develop, and the chance that Katherine's circle will continue to support work down under. This story has so many possibilities, it could spin off into an industry, sequel after sequel…