Alex & Chris Chapter 22

Printer-friendly version


Alex & Chris
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 22 Jenny visits the Hall.

Meanwhile Jenny was having a good look round the hall. Alice showed her to a guestroom.

Alice, “I understand you are here to teach the little misses dancing. Would it be an imposition to ask you to give credence to the idea that there may be older ones who also may like lessons but are embarrassed to be seen doing it with the little ones.”

Jenny, “I will give it thought.”

“Very good Madame this is the main hall and we have toilets off to the right.” Jenny looked at the highly polished floor and the paintings that were suspended from the walls. “These are all portraits of the former Lords and their ladies & children.”

Jenny looked outside and could see the gravel parking area. “I see there is plenty of parking. May I see the entrance please?”

Alice, “We can lock the other doors so this is a self contained unit.”

Jenny looked at the grand piano, “May I play it.”

“It has been some time since anybody played it miss but if you want to use it regular I will call in the piano tuner.”

Jenny, “No need I always do my own.” Jenny sat down and started to play. Alexis and the others heard the music and came to listen.

Allison, “Alexis can you get my violin & bring your Viola as well.” They both knew the piece Jenny was playing by heart and started to play alongside. Jade went for her double bass. Astrid and the twins went for their travelling harps and then sat down and played with the others.

Angela heard the noise coming from the great hall and went to investigate. There she found the others all playing instruments. “I understood this was supposed to be a fact finding weekend to see if you could use the great hall on a regular basis.”

Alexis, “I think Jenny playing the Grand piano triggered something in us all and we just had to accompany her.”

Jenny, “This will do for me and it is far more impressive than I ever envisaged. All I need to do now is sort a price out with you and arrange to have a Barr made.”

Alexis, “You mean like a rail to hold on to.”

Angela, “We use these if the public is in the grand hall. They lock to the floor and will not move.”

Jenny, “These will do fine in fact they have a couple of levels so could be used by young or old. Can my assistants go and get changed. “Astrid and the twins did not need a second telling. You too Jade.”

Jade stripped off where she was stood, “I am already ready.” Jenny switched on a tape recorder and started warm up exercises. Alice found she was copying the girls. One by one almost all in the room were dancing.

Eventually Jenny switched the music off, “If you intend dancing with us I insist you are correctly attired. I can see I am going to have to advertise adult classes as well as Children’s.”

Whilst the others had been dancing Alison had been busy with her digital camera and had taken loads of photos of the others dancing. Jenny, “I now need to sort out an advertisement for the local paper.”

Allison, “Jade and I can help you with that as we used to be reporters and we might be able to get you some free advertising.”

Jenny, “That would be great, as I need to keep costs down while I get established.”

Alexis, “Jade will you take over while Jenny & the big sisters & I go for a little chat”

“Ok but do not be too long Alexis.

In the side room Alexis said, “You will be our guest at weekends. The hire of the hall is free or at least you can have it instead of tuition fees.” “What Allison said is basically true. In fact we already have prepared a mock up of tomorrow’s paper. It helps when your grandfather owns the paper and several others. All we are waiting for is you to say yes to go ahead with the printing.”

Jenny, “I feel as if I have been manoeuvred into this by Madam and you. Madame was on the lookout for another dance teacher. She had been working on me for some time. She wanted me to open a school. I pointed out that I also had my theatre dancing commitments.”

Alexis, “Bumping in to Madam was accidental although she recognised Allison & Jade. Until we got the request asking if we could help out with the pearls. I was willing to let Jade teach the little ones. However when I was informed you had been thinking about opening a school in or near to us I thought this might be the solution.”

Jenny, “I looked at the village hall and the school but none were suitable or if they were I was unable to obtain them.”

“When Madam mentioned to me you wanted a teacher for the children. I realised we both could have what we wanted. The great hall is ideal and there is plenty of parking for the parents.”

Astrid, “Actually there is something you did not see. The parents could watch and wait in the gallery. In fact they can all see us perform without distracting the dancers. If Terri was willing serve drinks to the parents while they waited they could have refreshments.”

Alexis looked across at Terri, “I know it is not in your remit but would it put you out to make a few coffee or teas?”

Terri, “No I would not be put out although it may be better to install a couple of vending machines say selling drinks and snacks.”

Alex, “You keep referring to Madam by that I presume you mean the elderly lady who we met in the shop.”

Jenny, “She runs 135 dance schools across the North of England. She expects the very best from her pupils and teachers. I started out as one of her promising dancers before I got the position with the Northern Ballet Company. Madame already has Jade and the girls earmarked for great things. Astrid you surprised her because you perfected moves that girls many years your senior find difficult. When she saw you all dance it was in perfect unison with each other. She told me she cannot wait until Allison & Alexis have both recovered to see if they are equally as good.”

Alexis, “Hold on a minute I never volunteered to do dancing.”

Astrid, “Well big sister just prove to Jenny that you are hopeless and she will leave you alone.”

Allison, “Go on sister give it a try. We both know you have all the knowledge to do it perfectly.”

“OK Jenny I will dance but I may need Jade and the others to show me what to do.”

Jenny switched on the music and the girls once again went into their routine. Alexis did her own thing and did not notice she was keeping pace with the others. Finally Astrid leaped into the air to be caught perfectly by Alexis.

“Bravo Bravo that was perfect timing.”

Astrid, “Oh Hello I did not realise you were here also.”

“I was proving to Jenny I was hopeless at dancing.”

“My dear if you are hopeless at dancing then you must be an Angel. You and the little sisters as you call them all danced perfectly. I want to ask you and the girls if you would be willing to dance at the International Eisteddfod in Llangollen North Wales. I have entered two teams in the Folk dancing section.”

Jenny, “Alexis I will train you all the moves you need to know. Even to be invited is an honour. Teams from around the globe vie for the privilege of dancing there. Whilst there everybody is expected to be in costume all the time.”

Alexis, “Actually I have been there to watch as Christine and I went there before we were an item. That was way back in 2003 we watched the day president who happened to be the Chinese Ambassador to Britain. China came in second while the individual prize went to a Chinese girl. The ambassador was pleased to present the Chinese girl with the winner’s prize. In fact at the Hungarian stall they were selling off their costumes to raise funds to go home with. I felt sorry for the Girls and bought two complete sets off them.”

Jenny, “Do you still have them?” Angela brought the two outfits down.

Alison, “Do you mind if I try one?” Alexis put the other one on.

Madam, “Now as I have the two of you dressed and prepared perhaps you can both do the Hungarian dance for me.”

Allison, “I will have a go but I am still rather week following the operation.”

The two of them performed the Hungarian dance flawlessly. Allison, “Sorry Madame but I am going to have to go back in the chair as I am feeling rather strange.”

Helen looked rather worried and took Alison’s blood pressure and then her temperature. “Bed immediately for you Alison and you do not move out of there without my permission.”

Helen, “Madame you may have wanted to see them both dance together, but I will not have her life endangered just for your pleasure.”

Jenny looked at Madame who said, “I apologise if I appeared to be pushing you into dancing. Yes I know already what Allison can do. I have seen her dance often. What I did not know was the extent her twin could dance. Alexis could you copy Jenny please. Jenny can you perform all the advanced moves please.”

Alexis watched and then copied the moves with Jade. Jade snapped her fingers and Astrid & the twins joined in. Madam watched as they also performed perfect moves flawlessly.

Madame whispered something to Jenny. “Ok Madame but you know I am only one of a handful that can perform that move.”

Alexis watched and then said, “Jenny that was very good. I would have performed the move though like the greatest of all Dancers. If you please Jade and the girls will you accompany me?”

Jenny and Madame again watched the group dance.
Madame, “No, No it is not possible.”

Jenny came across and curtsied. “I thought I was here to teach the girls but they already have a teacher far in advance of me. I cannot perform those moves. Only the very greatest of dancers has ever been able to do that.”

Alexis, “You said something about entering us at the international Eisteddfod at Llangollen. If you think we are good enough then we will all agree to go. By the time that comes round in July even Alison will be raring to go.”

Madame, “It is a wonder I have never seen you dance before.”

Alexis, “That is because unlike Allison & the girls I have never been to ballet school. Until very recently I did not realise I had a twin sister as Allison was abducted shortly after she was born. We are both together again we find we have a remarkable ability. What one learns the other also seems to know? I used to go folk dancing & square dancing. I preferred the sets of twelve rather than the normal sets of eight.

Angela and some of the others joined in for a square twelve dance. Madam, “If I had doubts before then that has just dispelled them. That was Astrid’s Favourite dance.”

Alexis, “So Jenny do you still want to use the great hall for your dance group.”

Beatrice who had been watching and listening, “I am to be moving in here as a companion and also the girls have adopted me as a surrogate grandmother. I realise Terri is going to be otherwise occupied. I was wondering if I could operate the coffee bar and also perhaps sell all the items that our new customers are going to need.”

Jenny, “I had not given that a thought the nearest places are either Keighley or Leeds.”

Madame looked at Beatrice, “I will let you have a list of everything that the dancers need. It will vary according to what lessons they actually take.”

Astrid, “Beatrice as you are doing the orders as we all need national skirts & Leotards & pumps. So will you order adult sizes as well as children’s?”

Jade said, “My big sisters are also going to need a tutu each.”

Angela noticed Madame was crying and went across to see what was wrong. “There is nothing wrong it is just that I did not expect to see that performed live ever again with such perfection.”

Angela, “That is just a dance we all do my sisters included. Great grandma taught us all and said, “Perhaps one day one of you will do it live.”

Madam’s mind was working overtime and she said, “Your Great Grandma?”

Christobell & sisters entered the hall. Christobell said, “It is a long time since we last saw you. Then you were Grandmothers most promising pupil.”

The colour of madam’s face changed as she recognised the women. “It would appear that the talent your grandmother had has been passing down to your children & grandchildren.”

Christobell, “Oh we can all do it perfectly. We just wanted to give you chance to shine. None of us were bothered about going professional unlike you. Just to prove a point though I will ask the young pearls and the old pearls to dance together.” Madam and Jenny watched.

Jenny, “None of them need me to teach them as their moves are just perfect.”

Christobell, “Madam we would be pleased to be your senior team if you think we are good enough.”

Madame, “By any chance do you have a DVD player as I have this disc that perhaps you all should see.”

Alexis, “We have the film theatre where we can all watch. They all took their seats and proceeded to watch the Video.

Astrid, “That dancer is good & so are the children.”

Christobell, “Actually the new pearls are better.”

Claire & Clara, “Yes Astrid & the girls are better dancers.”

Astrid looked at the picture, “Please can you pause it now? Have you not noticed the dancer could be twin to Alexis & Allison & that little dancer could be me?”

Madam, “But it is not you as this was made long before you were born. The little dancer is here though.” Madame looked at Clara.

“Grandma Clara was that you?” Said the twins.

Clara, “It was such a long time ago but yes that was me and the dancer that looks like Alexis was my grandmother. In fact now Madame is here all the original pearls are here.”

Madam, “I never expected to see the like of her ever again.”

Angela, “So that is all our mothers with our great grandmother.”

Astrid, “No my great, great grandmother after whom I was named.”

Madam, “I presume you are called Astrid?

“That there is me and that Grandma Christobell.”

Astrid, “Grandma Christobell is making many silly mistakes.”

Christobell, “I agree when I see the film. I did not even realise it existed.”

Madame, “it was on some old 8mm film that came into my possession. I had it transferred to DVD. I can soon have extra copies of it made for you.”

Alexis, “I have an idea and that includes you Madame. If we have a sound track added & then put the DVD projector in the great hall and project the image onto a white background at the same time all of us performing the dance together.”

Astrid, “There is only one who could be Great, Great Gran.”

Alexis, “Ok.”

Helen wheeled Allison back in and said, “This time no dancing or I will confine you to bed until you have your surgery.”

Clara & Christobell returned with white sheeting & Alexis & Angela sorted the projector out. They found out the correct position to place the projector to give a life size image.

Astrid, “I have a CD of the music can I put it on?” Tears continued to stream down the face of Madame. As Alexis & the computer produced image danced in unison.

A voice said, “I never expected to see that ever again.”

Alexis, “Lord Percy what are you doing here. Well I came to see a young lady to see if she wanted a pony.”

Astrid, “I already have Princess who will do for me. Perhaps you should treat Alexis to a pony and then she can come riding with me.”

“Please may I ask were this came from?”

Astrid, “Madam brought it for us to see.”

“I did not realise though until I saw them side by side how much alike they are.”

Astrid,” You thought I was her reincarnated. I spotted the fear in you when I spoke. Well as you are here you had better dance with us.”

Lord Percy, “Pardon.”

Astral, “You heard Astrid, as all but one of the girls is family so we presume the only male dancer is also family. As you appear to be the only male relative we have then I presume it was you who was the dancer.”

“Ok Astrid I will agree it is me but I have not danced for such a long time I am out of practise and I am not as athletic as I once was.”

“Well then you will have to come and have lessons with us and then you will be soon being fit again.”

Madame cracked out laughing, “Percy she is far too much like her name sake for you ever to get the better of her.”

Percy sat down, “Please may I see the film it in its entirety. I know where this was recorded. I am trying to work out who took the film.”

Lord Percy, “Stop please. Can you zoom into that mirror please? Ah that is our Cameraman. Madame may I ask how it came to you?”

“Actually I received a letter from a solicitor asking me to call and see them. I was told I had been left this film in the will of a client.”

Christobell, “Madam you did not have a child by Arthur did you?”

Madam, “What when he was working his way through the sisters. I was not even in the running. With the film was a note that said, I thought you might like this as far as I know it is the only film with you all on Arthur. I took the film to a place that said it could digitally enhance the film and put it on DVD for me. When I met Alexis and the girls I thought I was seeing things. I realised when the box arrived and was addressed to Lady Middleham that you must be related to Astrid. “

“The Little ones had already proved to me they all knew far more than they should for their ages. Astrid here should only be at primary stage but she is like the others and is at a teaching level. I had been badgering Jenny to start a dance school but she was unable to obtain a decent hall.”

Jenny said, “When Madam came in she was shaking and said, “I have just seen Astrid’s ghost. Or at least a group of Girls that look like her & certainly the younger ones are exceptional dancers. It was me who had the idea to ask the little ones to stand in when our normal girls rang in sick. I knew Madam had a thing about Astrid & collected all the memorabilia she could about her dancing career.”

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos