Shadow of the Heart Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version


Shadow of the Heart

Chapter 8

The Office

After the rescue of Sera things changed in the castle. Her laptop slowly died from lack of power. This upset her greatly till I found a way to power it by magic. This also worked for her bag of tricks as she called it. Using a micro-portal she was even able to connect to the internet. She worked a way to hook a mirror to one of her bee like mech-pets to form a roving spy bug. Sera took to magic fast and well soon doing things I could never think of.

Using data from when I was part of the Office she got the spy bug into the main headquarters for this area. I wanted to know how badly the Tangents had taken over. There was a few of the people I knew there and they seemed to be on a war footing. She got the bug in the bosses office to listen to a Her talking to the high ups.

Boss: "How many do we have that we are sure about?"

2nd: "Too few, only a dozen. The Tangents have whittled us down and turned so many!"

3rd: "We need to get the ones we know are true out before the next big push. We will loose a lot but what else can we do?"

Boss: "It is just where can they go this city is infested with those damn Tangents."

In the corner of the Bosses office I caught a way to make contact. I decided to offer the people of the office a way out. It was dangerous but we would get a lot of people to our cause. I went over and used a seeker spell to find the mirror in the Bosses office. Once I was locked on I Took a deep breath and opened a portal. I stepped though to the surprise of the three in the office. I put my finger to my lips and went over and made sure the door was locked. I closed the portal and sat down smiling. "You were looking for a place to hide from the Tangents I can give that to you."

The Boss smiled "We thought you were lost long ago. I guess we were wrong. What do you propose?" She looked very tired.

I looked at the mirror "There are many worlds out there. I can take the ones you are sure of through the mirror to one of those worlds where I have been living. You can rest and recharge till you are ready to reenter the fight with the Tangents. The Tangents wont go there. This is a one time offer! I am putting myself and others in danger to make this offer!"

She frowned "How many can you take?"

I shrugged "How many are you sure of?" I was putting my neck out real far on this one. "I don't need to stress how important being sure of them first is! This place will fall to the Tangents as soon as they relies we are gone. Getting them out will be hard but we can do it." I looked tired. "The world you will be going to is not this one, it is sparsely populated and rich with animals to hunt for food. Take any files with you that we can use in the war with the Tangents."

The Boss decided "I have 12 I am sure of including those in this room. If you can get us out we will stay with you only a short while then set up somewhere back in the city. We need to continue the fight. I will order all we are sure of into the conference room connected to this room. Then we will bring them in here one by one and you will do your thing. I have all the files on a flash drive do you have something that can read it?" The spy bug grabbed the flash drive from her hand and did its thing. I love having a techy on my side. "MMM I guess that means yes. Well we will call the meeting."

I grimiest "No guns it will cause attention to be drawn to what we are doing. Just like a everyday meeting." I hoped I was doing the right thing. Once they had the people gathered we filed them into the office and through the portal. It took a lot of magic to keep the portal open for so many people to pass through. I was the last one sending a shatter spell behind me. For good or bad it was done. Dan had led them into the great hall to talk and plan. They were looking around like they were in a dream. I stepped up front and called them be quiet. Dan was standing beside me with a long sword at his side looking like he meant business so they all went silent. I noticed that Dan was the only man in the room. I smiled at that. The 12 women waited for me to speak "You are not on earth any longer we are on a parallel world. On this world the sword and bow are the weapons of the day. You all will be trained to use these for defense of this castle and yourselves. With so many we will need to hunt for more meat and fish the river and lake. Here magic works and I know how to use it. I will preserve the meat by magic so we can keep it for awhile. We will find you all clothes here in the castle and alter them to fit you. You will be here for awhile to rest and recharge before you go back to fight the Tangents." I smiled "Welcome to my home."

The Boss looked up at me "What do we call this castle and what title do you hold here? We would like to know who we are working with."

Grandmother came in "The castle is called Wind Haven and her Title is Countess. Looks like our numbers have grown since I last visited."

I smiled at her "Welcome Grandmother how is your day going?"

She smiled back "Nothing to complain about. I am sure your new people would like to settle in so we will talk later."

I turned back to the others "Lily will show you all to rooms in the west wing." I indicated Lily who was watching the whole thing. "Please do not pester her with questions all will be answered in the coming days. We will reconvene for supper in 4 hours so I suggest you all get some rest till then." I dismissed them with a wave and Lily took all but the top three away.

The Boss: "Well Countess looks like you have quite a setup here. We need a war counsel as soon as it is convenient. The Tangents will know that we have disappeared and move in. Those we left behind will fall fast. There are other groups like ours fighting the Tangents if we could make contact we could join up with them and hit back!"

2nd: "We know of at least five groups. They should all be in our files. How long to decode and find them?"

One of Sera's bugs settled on my shoulder and acted as a speaker "They are Decoded searching now."

The Boss: "Who was that?"

I chuckled "That is my Tech gal. She has everything in hand. She will have all the data gone over soon. She is very good."

3rd: "I thought computers would not work here? No electricity right?"

I smiled "Her computer is powered by magic. She is quickly becoming a mage as well as a tech."

The bug said "I will have all five groups of data ready by supper."

I grinned "See, I told you she is very good."

The Boss: "You really have a interesting life here. Just so you know my name is Carol. Few people know that and I would like to keep it that way."

I nodded "I understand we will keep your confidence. I still use the name your people gave me, that is Amber." We shook hands and a understanding was formed.

Grandmother chuckled "Now that is over we need to find what we are going to do about those damn Tangents! That is why I am here there is a major push on and two of our people are in danger. I plotted how to get them out but you can not do this alone. You need someone to watch your back this time. The longer we wait the more danger they will be in!"

Carol smiled "I am in the mood for a bit of a run if you will have me?"

I looked her over. She was in prime shape so I nodded "We go in quarter hour. Grandmother do you have the files on the people and the target area?" She took out two files and a map. I knew the area. I quickly had the path down. Carol nodded that she had it. Grandmother put away the map and pulled out a handgun.

She smiled "This will only shoot tranquilizer rounds so hit skin for them to work right. You only have 11 rounds so make them count." She went to hand it to me but I shook my head nodding to Carol. Carol took the gun and nodded to me. She knew I was trusting her to watch my back during this run. Damn I am sure living dangerously lately.

We were through the mirror on time and moving fast. This area was heavy in Tangent agents. We moved from shadow to shadow moving north towards the HQ. The first target was just south of there then we go west for the second target.

We found the first target easy enough. One problem 4 Tangent agents were moving in on her. She rounded the corner and practically ran into me. I pulled her into a shadow and used shadow blend spell to conceal us just as a truck was pulling out down the street. We waited as the agents turned the corner and went after the truck. Well luck was with us on this one. After the agents were all the way down the street we slipped into the alley and over to the next street. We moved quickly to the west to get to the next target.

The first target named Kera Nul started to make a fuss after a few streets. She calmed down when I told her Grandmother sent me. I pushed her to the wall and put a finger to her lips. I snuck a look around the corner and could see trouble. the second target Maxine Tarle was in trouble big! 6 Agents had her cuffed and were waiting for transport to arrive. I looked at Carol, we both knew we could not enter into a firefight with the target right in the middle of the bad guys. This called for a little bit of magic. I went over my spells in my mind and came up with a plan.

I asked if Carol could hit three targets before they could react? When she nodded and got ready I cast stone body on the farthest agents. Carol fired hitting the first three with neck shots. They dropped and the other three could not move so we hurried out and I used break spell to open the cuffs. We quickly ran away. Now if we could just get to the exit mirror. The problem was that Tangent agents were everywhere. I tried three different mirror sights but they were covered. We were getting backed up to the lake. I asked Carol to give me as much time as she could I had a last chance spell. I cast Ice mirror. I got it as thick as I dared just as Carol called she was out of ammo. I opened the portal and pushed Kera and Maxine through grabbed Carol and jumped as the Ice was breaking. We tumbled into the mirror room just as the ice shattered closing the portal for good! I could not help but laugh at how near it was. Carol looked at me "Are your runs always so exciting?"

I grinned "No this one was sort of easy." She just shook her head. Grandmother was helping our new arrivals and ignoring me and Carol. I got up and offered her a hand up. Well two more to feed and clothe. What a day.

To be Continued

As always all Life Giving Comments are Welcomed and Loved!

up
154 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Using mirrors or ice lakes to

Using mirrors or ice lakes to move around, would definitely be a wonderful tool to have in a persons attack, evade, and escape "box".

Nice story

Nice to see this story back. Thank you so much.

Gwen

English A 2nd Language?

>> "Is you runs always so exciting?" <<

How about: "'Are Your' runs always so exciting?"

Declension of the verb: 'to be'; Singular: I am; You are; She is; Plural: We are; You are; They are. (Easier than German, anyway.)
Past tense; Singular: I was; You were; She was; Plural: We were; You were; They were.

'Your' is possessive. Whose runs are they? Your runs.

Are 'you' always so exciting? Are 'your runs' always so exciting?

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Well I like this story.

Thanks GypsyWomen. I like the gender bomb idea and hope to see your side story on those lucky victim if you have one. lol.
And thanks Renee, for me English is really as 2nd language. So I am always learning. ;)