Drew & the Half Term Break Chapter 49

Printer-friendly version


Drew and the Half Term Break
By Sharphawlad
A Gabyverse fanfiction

Chapter 49 Boat Festival

It was now two months since Gaby had her coronation in the ancient City of York at the Great Minster of Peter. Ariel came to see Gaby. “Gaby yesterday Lorelie and I walked down to the canal just for something to do. It has been rather hectic since your coronation and we wanted to relax by the water. We discovered there is a boating festival this coming weekend and the theme is of Neptune’s realm. We informed Papa and his eyes lit up and then he told us he did not want disturbing for the next few days. Lyris who was seated near Gaby smiled, “Great I will gather the Pearls it is time we all danced again.”

Gaby was smiling, “Ok I presume my mermaids wish to ask for permission to do their thing. Come to think of it Little Lily has not broadcast about the festival so I presume she is involved with Lyris and the little ones. I though will have to stay regal. However should anybody summon the Empress of the sea she will appear when required.”

A “yippee” was transmitted to all the Fae. Ariel, “Well Lily was listening and broadcast that to all of us.”

Pegi appeared, “Gaby Neptune has his brothers all helping to convert an old waterways barge into his inland water chariot. Then they are going to be working on other barges for themselves. The boys look to be enjoying themselves.”

Gaby brought up on the computer what was supposed to be happening.
Pegi was disappointed that swimming was not allowed. Then she spotted a raft building and racing competition. “Great as we now have Rhine on our team we will enter as Neptune’s wives.”

As they were looking at the screen a young woman representing the Town Council was shown in to Gaby.

“Excuse me I have a problem and I was Hoping Queen Gaby of Northumbria could help me out.” The female did a rather clumsy curtsey.

Gaby, “Please take a seat and tell us your problem.” Gaby knew as soon as the female spoke she was not a local for she spoke with a Germanic accent.

“My namen ist Ingrid and I originally come from Westphalia. Mine English is nich ser gut but I get by. I now live here in the town. I got a job with the Town council to do the secretarial work. Additional responsibilities appear to have been thrust on to me. Today I get an E-mail the company who was supposed to have provided this weekend’s entertainment has ceased trading. I told my boss and he was not very pleased. I tried all the entertainers I could find but they are all fully booked. Then I remembered that you appeared at the International Eistetford in Wales. So please can you help me?”

Gaby clapped her hands. “Well Ingrid this is your lucky day. Siegfried please come here. This is Ingrid of Westphalia she needs help and somebody who speaks fluent German to help her.” As Gaby was speaking a figure ran across the room.

Ingrid, “Gunther is that you?”

Gunther came across and bowed. “Mistress Gaby may I help Ingrid instead of Sigfried?”

Sigfried looked at Gunther. “You know this creature of the forests?”

“Sir I wondered why I had the urge to come here it must have been coming from Gunther. I know he is a forest spirit. I often took him food when he and his family were going short in the winter times.”

Gaby realised the young woman was scanning the room. “Come on out all you children. Gunther used to play the same game with me as a child.” She looked again at Gaby and did a full curtsey this time. Sorry I should have realised earlier. I thought I was dealing with the new Queen of Northumbria. Now I see that I was very much mistaken for you are far more than that.”

Gunter played on a flute and various spirits appeared. “A friend of mine needs help. We all owe Ingrid of Westphalia a great deal.”

Gaby was amused as the youngest child of Gunther approached Ingrid and curtsied. “Queen Ingrid we have harpists who can play for you and we have a choir who can sing. Then we have dancers. Papa says while you are not a Queen we have to treat you as such. For we owe our lives to you for feeding us in winter times. I though would like to call you big sister Ingrid.”

Gaby clapped her hands. “PLEASE will you all sit down and be quiet as I have a very nervous but important guest arriving.” With that all the Spirits including Gunther sat down on the floor. Ingrid sat down with Gunthers youngest daughter. Ingrid noticed others had arrived and sat down. A few seconds later a very small Sheltie bitch, {Shetland sheepdog or Fairy dog. Belonging to Ingrid} raced into the room followed by lots of kittens. Ingrid was about to say something but Gunther put his fingers to his mouth to tell her to stay quiet. The little dog launched herself at Gaby as if they were long lost friends.

Gaby, “Well little friend we had better show the others what you have just by informed me.”

Ingrid was surprised when the room darkened and then a projector started forest. It showed a stranger appearing at the door of a cottage in the forest and asking them to look after the child. The stranger gave the old couple some money and promised more. Then the next scene was the child had wandered off from her home and she spotted a little man. “Hello my home has got lost.” The little man took her back to her home and then vanished. The little girl informed her parents that she had been playing with the little men and ladies who live in the forest.

Her father looked at her and then said, “You must never tell others you play with the little people of the forest for not everybody can see them. Then the screen showed the parents receiving a letter. The father turned to Ingrid. “Daughter you must go and look for your little friends. Inform them men are coming to chop down the forest and I cannot protect them any longer as my time is up.”

Ingrid went looking for her friends As she looked around she noticed her friends were already making ready to depart from the forest. The birds of the forest were landing and taking off with the little people. “Mistress Ingrid we will let you know when we arrive. Will you take the animals back to your home as they will be safe there?” Ingrid arrived back to receive more instruction from her father. He asked her to get the doctor who was also the local mayor. Ingrid ran as fast as she could through the forest to get the doctor. She noticed men had already started to cut down the trees. The destruction of her beloved forest made her very angry. Ingrid did not realise that as she got angry the great machines broke down or just blew up. She got to the village and found the Doctor. The two of them came back to the forest on the Doctors horse and trap. When Ingrid arrived back with the doctor they found both her parents dead. There was a note from the two of them.

The two of them read their respective letters. They found two coffins in a backroom and an open double brick lined grave at the back of the house. Ingrid kissed both her parents as she and the doctor lifted them both into the coffins. The doctor spoke into his mobile telephone. Very soon all the villagers arrived to say their final goodbye to the couple. The coffins were lowered into the graves by some of the men. Ingrid then has her father had instructed her drove a massive wooden spike into the ground near the grave and kept hold of it as per her instructions. A second later the two coffins of the woodcutter and his wife burst into flames. Ingrid still kept hold of the wooden stake. As Ingrid kept hold of the stake a beam shot up the stake and fanned out in a 9 mile radius of the cottage. Ingrid noticed the animals of the forest also paying their respect to the old couple.

The wife of the doctor, “Ingrid you have just ensured that this part of the forest will be protected forever. We all realise you might need to go away to collect your thoughts. Our daughter will be the first of the Sisters of Ingrid to live in your cottage. She will take hold of the stake with you so that all may know you have chosen her.”

Try as they might the loggers could not remove the trees in an 18 mile area of the cottage. Their machines broke down or just blew up when they tried. Eventually they all gave up.

The next scene was Ingrid in her flat at the Haunted Isles and she had just got a job with the Town council. The screen then closed down.

Gaby, “Ingrid it is obvious to us all present what you are although you yourself do not know it. The people you thought of as your parents are fire spirits. I had the privilege a while ago of meeting a couple similar to your parents. You though are not a fire spirit although they have imbued you with the gift of fire.”

Ingrid, “If that was the case I could have zapped the loggers.”

Gaby, “Yes you could have and did although you did not realise it. That was not your parents wish for you to harm the loggers. The villages all knew when they saw you hold the wooden stake and the red gold colours that emanated from you.”

The child who Ingrid was still hold of, “Big sister you were born of a Water Valkarie, Your parents are fire spirits just like I am a forest spirit.”

Gaby, “Ingrid fire spirits like to go out in a spectacular way when their particular job is over. All the villagers witnessed the fire for your parent’s funeral rite. What they would not realise was your parents were just reverting to their natural form. Fire spirits it is time for me to see how many of you there are.”

The great door of the Castle opened and four spirits walked towards Gaby. For Ingrid this was too much and she ran to one of the couples shouting “Mama, Papa” Ingrid ended up lifting both couples into the air.

Her father spoke, “Ingrid you must prove to those present you can drive into the ground the stake my brother has carried into this room. Mistress I presume you will allow my daughter to do this?”

Gaby, “I will allow you to do this by the promenade near the statue of Fred Truman. Those who are not currently here will meet us there.”

With that a procession left the castle and walked the half mile to the site.
The child who was still holding Ingrid’s hand. “Big sister today you claim your birthright. This weekend’s festivities start this very evening.”

A massive crowd of people was waiting by the waterfront. They parted to allow the procession to pass. Gaby and some of the others went onto the stage. The others stood in front of the stage.

Gaby stood up and walked over to the microphone. “Greetings everybody. Welcome to this waterways festival. I was to have switched on the eternal light. However I think Ingrid the young lady who has been trying her hardest to make this event a success should do it. Ladies and Gentlemen I give you Ingrid.”

A very nervous Ingrid approached the stage still holding the hand of the child. Neptune looked across at Rhine as Ingrid thumped on to the stake. All the lights went on and a beam shot out of the stake high into the night sky. “Ladies and Gentlemen earlier today I thought this event was going to be a disaster as the booked entertainment gave backword. I have though managed to acquire at the last minute Dancers, Singers and musicians from the Royal household. So I would like to say a big thank you to Queen Gaby for helping me out. I understand some of the Royal household are participating in some of the weekend’s events.”

An official from Northumbrian Waterways was the judge of the boats. There was a big grin from Neptune as his boat was awarded first prise as being most likely to look like Neptune’s. Baccus took second prise with his ship of merriment all covered in barrels of wine and laurel leaves. The official asked if there was real wine in the barrels. A short while after the judging Baccus was seen leading the judge and winners on to his boat for a glass or two.

Meanwhile the gypsy dancers had come on stage and performed the dance of the heavenly messenger. This was followed by the pearls summoning the Empress of the Seas. Most people present were astounded when Queen Gaby put in a personal appearance.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos