The Might-Have-Been Girl Chapter 26

Printer-friendly version
Teen blonde-hair.jpg
The Might-Have-Been Girl

A novel by Bronwen Welsh


Copyright 2016
 



I thought I was getting a new job, but it turned out to be a whole new life


Chapter 26   Aunt Peggy

Over the following days Mum continued to improve. The drip had gone, although she was still receiving antibiotics by injection. By now she was keen to leave the hospital, but the doctors said she should stay another few days. Since she wasn't going to be home on Sunday when Aunt Peggy arrived, both Emma and I could go to the station to meet her.

“Do you think she knows about me?” I asked Emma.

“I'm sure she does. She and Mum don't have any secrets from each other, but I'm sure Aunt Peggy won't have told anyone.”

That was a relief as it had suddenly occurred to me that she might be quite surprised when she saw me. I was considering wearing trousers to lessen the shock, but if she knew, then it was alright to wear my tartan skirt and black tights. I was careful with my makeup, not overdoing it, and looking at myself in the mirror, I was sure I looked alright. Nevertheless, I did feel a little bit nervous. After all, the last time she was with us she had seen a boy called Harry.

The train pulled into the station and we eagerly scanned the crowd.

“There she is!” exclaimed Emma, and at that moment Aunt Peggy spotted us, or perhaps more accurately she recognised Emma. She hurried up to us and first gave Emma a hug, and then turned to me as Emma said “This is Harriet”

“Of course. How nice to see you again Harriet,” She hugged me too, and I was grateful for how easy she was making it for me. “You've certainly grown since I last saw you. Now how's your mum?”

“She's still in hospital, but she should be home soon,” I replied. “She'll never forgive us if we don't take you straight to see her.”

Emma had brought the car, so we put Aunt Peggy's suitcase in the boot and her in the front seat next to Emma. Sitting in the back seat I was thinking that I must start learning to drive soon.

Mum was sitting out of bed when we arrived, and she and Aunt Peggy hugged.

“Peg, it's so good of you to come all this way to look after me,” said Mum.

“Nonsense, that's what sisters are for,” replied Aunt Peggy. “Do you think they'll let you come home now there's a 'responsible adult' to look after you?” she said with a wink.

“I'll have to ask the doctor when I see him next,” said Mum.

“Wait here and I'll go and see the nurse,” said Aunt Peggy and she marched up to the sisters' station. She was only gone a few minutes and when she came back she was smiling. “Tomorrow morning provided you behave yourself,” she said to Mum.

Looking at the two of them together, even though Mum was still unusually pale and frail- looking after her ordeal, it was still difficult to see them as sisters. I could imagine that Peggy had always been the leader and Mum had been the follower. Emma and I went off for a cup of tea in the hospital cafe while Aunt Peggy and Mum had a chat.

When we returned, Aunt Peggy said “I think your Mum needs a rest now, so shall we go home?”

Back at the house, we showed Aunt Peggy around and told her that she could have my bedroom since I would be returning to London soon.

“Thank you my dear,” she said. “I will be careful not to mess it up too much.”

We both laughed at that. There was only a few of my clothes in the wardrobe since most of them were in London, so there was plenty of room for Aunt Peggy to hang her things.

Emma had a trundle bed in her room which had been used occasionally when we'd had guests, so we had set it up for me until I returned to London. I didn't want to dash off, but on the other hand I felt it was important to return to the theatre as soon as was practical.

--ooOoo--

The following morning, after checking that Mum was to be discharged, Aunt Peggy, Emma and I started out for the hospital. Mum was sitting beside the bed, dressed and obviously anxiously awaiting us. When we sat her in the front seat of the car she heaved a sigh of relief.

“I don't want to sound ungrateful because they helped save my life, but it's so good to be away from the hospital at last,” she said.

We had made a special effort to ensure that the house was sparkling for when Mum arrived, and she was thrilled to be home again. Of course she wanted to start doing things like making us tea but we insisted that she sit down and be 'waited on hand and foot' as the saying goes. Emma and I went into the kitchen and prepared a light lunch for all of us, and afterwards we all sat in the lounge with cups of coffee.

There was plenty to talk about. Aunt Peggy told us how things were going in Australia, and she had brought over some photos of her family. We all agreed that Ron was a very handsome guy and their two children, Flora who was thirteen and growing up to be a pretty young lady, and Ron Junior who took after his dad, made up a wonderful family. Aunt Peggy beamed with pleasure at our compliments. The family property, or farm as we'd call it here, looked great with huge paddocks (i.e., fields) full of cattle, and I said I would love to visit there one day.

“Well we do have a number of theatres, especially in the capital cities, our closest one is Melbourne, so perhaps you might get a role in one of their productions,” she said.

“And Emma might too,” I said. I was getting a little worried that the emphasis was too much on me. I didn't want Emma to get jealous as we had a really good sisterly relationship.

“I'm looking forward to seeing both of you on stage while I'm here,” said Aunt Peggy diplomatically.

While Emma and I were washing up, I decided to take the opportunity to have a word with her.

“Emma, you're a really good actress. Have you considered trying for a role in London or one of the other big cities?” I asked.

“Instead of burying myself alive in Bridchester?” she asked, although she did say it with a smile.

“I didn't exactly mean that,” I replied, blushing. “I've been very lucky so far with my career, and maybe if you were in London, Dame Emily could put you up for a role too?”

“I'm not jealous of your success if that's what you're worrying about,” Emma replied. “Actually, there's another reason for me staying in Brid. I haven't told anyone else about this, but David and I have been seeing each other.”

“Oh!” was my response.

“I know what you're thinking,” said Emma. “Actress sleeps with director who just happens to be nearly ten years older than her, is divorced and has a young daughter. What could possibly go wrong?”

“I wasn't thinking that at all,” I replied. “David is a really nice guy, and if you're in love with him, he's also a very lucky one.”

“Well, I think I'm the lucky one. I've had a lot of boyfriends as you know, but David is different. He's very mature and makes all those other boys look like children.”

“Will this cause a problem at the theatre?”

“It shouldn't do. David is only one of the people who selects roles for us, so no-one can say it's a 'casting couch' decision if I get a good part.”

“What about David's daughter. Have you met her?”

“She's eight and her name's Penelope, or Penny as everyone calls her. Yes I've met her and we get on very well.”

'Phew! That's a relief,' I thought.

“I should explain that Anthea, David's first wife, ran off with the husband of a friend of theirs, so it wasn't his fault,” said Emma.

'Things are rarely as cut and dried as that,' I thought. 'David's a great guy, why would Anthea throw away her marriage just like that?'

Aloud I said “Well I hope it all works out well for you. Have you told Mum yet?”

“No, you're the first person I've told. Anyway, what's happening with you and Reggie?” she said, changing the subject.

“We're going along well, but later this year he goes to York and I go to Stratford. He'll be meeting up with plenty of pretty girls who can give him something I can't, a family. I'm just going to enjoy being with him as long as it lasts.”

“Don't you think that makes him seem a bit shallow in your eyes?” said Emma.

“I'm just being realistic,” I replied. “Anyway, if you don't mind, I'd rather not talk about it. I do suggest that you tell Mum about David soon. She may even have guessed – she's pretty smart about things like that.”

“I will tell her very soon,” promised Emma.

Later, while Mum and Emma were having a short siesta, Aunt Peggy and I sat in the kitchen and had a chat.

“Your mum told me about you of course, but I must say I was quite amazed when I saw you, Harriet,” she said. I felt myself blushing.

“Mum and Emma have been so supportive, indeed everyone has been that knows about me.”

“So you believe this is how you want to spend the rest of your life?”

“Oh yes, I'm quite sure about that. I've never felt so happy as I have in the last few months. In fact it's now that I know why I didn't feel happy before.”

“Well I have to say that you seemed quite unhappy when I last saw you, but that was just after you'd lost your dad, so I thought that was the reason.”

“Well that was part of the reason of course, but there was more to it than that,” I replied.

“So where are you at now?”

“Well, I'm taking a drug which stops me developing male characteristics. I saw my doctor a couple of days ago and she says if I still feel the same way in another couple of months, which I will of course, then she will recommend I start taking female hormones.”

“Well, I have to say that even now, you look very feminine to me. If I didn't know, I never would have guessed. It's not just your appearance, the way you talk and act is exactly how any other teenage girl would act.”

“Perhaps being an actress helps me, but it's important that everyone realises that I'm not putting on an act off the stage. This is the person I want to be.”

“So when are you going back to London?”

“I don't know. I know I should go back soon or they will think me unreliable, but after what just happened to Mum, I feel almost like I'm abandoning her.”

“Well, she and I were talking before and she thinks you should go back soon. Your career is at a critical stage now and you don't want to jeopardise it.”

“Alright, I'll talk to her. I'm so glad you are here Aunt Peggy, that makes my decision so much easier. Maybe when Mum is feeling really well, you can both come down to London and see the play? I can get you some tickets.”

Aunt Peggy smiled. “I'm sure we'll both look forward to that.”

Later that day I spoke to Mum, and she did encourage me to return to my role in London, so I phoned Mark and told him I would be back on Tuesday and ready to resume my role on Wednesday. For a second I held my breathe, having the silly thought that he might say 'don't bother', but in fact he seemed really pleased to hear that I was coming back. He asked after Mum and I brought him up to date on her progress and about Aunt Peggy's arrival.

“I'll see you Wednesday morning then,” he said before ringing off.

To be continued

I would like to acknowledge the assistance of Louise Anne in proofreading the text and giving me a great deal of useful advice about modern-day Britain to incorporate in the story.

up
308 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So Happy Mum's OK

Christina H's picture

I'm so happy, now mum has her sister with her and now Emma has a love interest I look forward to seeing how this progresses
I think the Reggie will stay true to Harriet (at least I hope so)

Great story can't wait for the next episode

Christina

Harriet Has A Great Family

joannebarbarella's picture

Such a lucky girl that even her aunt from Yackandandah accepts her without reservation.

Now Mum's OK she should get back to London as soon as possible (and Reggie!).

Harriet trying to help Emma's career.

What nice daughters. Aunt Peggy is very supportive of Harriet, so important to her, she doesn't need distractions.
I wonder, can Harriet sing ? If so, is she a soprano? This could open up other career paths.

Cefin

I'm glad that Harriet has the

I'm glad that Harriet has the backing now from her Aunt, I just hope she also gets it from her Uncle and two cousins once they meet her as well.
Perhaps a nice long trip to Australia would do wonders for Harriet, Emma and their Mum, as they could as the old saying goes do with a "change of scenery" for awhile. Who knows they may even like the area and decide to remain there.

Thank you Bronwen,

Lovely to see how Harriet and Emma have become two sisters ,confiding in each other.

ALISON

Cliff hanger

Thank you for not having Harriet's mother pass away.
Seems Aunt Peggy will be ok.
Who did you say was the king of the cliff hanger ?

Karen