Experiment # 1

Printer-friendly version

Experiment # 1

John stopped at the mirror by the front door, and checked his outfit one more time

“Hair - check. Makeup - check. Blouse - check. Skirt - check. Hose - check. Heels - check.. I guess I’m ready.”

He sighed, and walked out the door, and headed toward school.

As he walked he thought about what made him want to try this experiment. It had started because he had read a story in English class about a man who felt like he had been fading from view to the point he was effectively invisible, and then did something radical to make people see him again.

And as far as John was concerned, dressing as a girl was as radical as he could get.

At the door to the school, John suddenly wondered if this was a good idea. Being invisible wasn’t nice, but doing this could get him laughed at, or even hurt.

“I have to try.” He thought, and went into the school.

Over the next couple of hours, John became more and more confused by the reaction he received. Which was no reaction at all - no one, not the students, not even the teachers said a word about his choice of outfit.

Then came lunch, and as he always did, John sat at a table in the corner.

Then Alison sat down beside him.

She was one of the popular girls, known for her preference for being a girly girl as well as being one of the nicest girls in the school, but John was still surprised she had sat beside him.

Taking a risk, he said, “So what do you think of my outfit?”

“Honestly?”

“Yes, please.”

“That blouse isnt a really good color for your skin tone, and most girls wear closed toed shoes when they wear hose. If you want, you could join me and some friends when we go shopping after school, and we could find stuff that suits you better.”

“But ...”

“And you did okay on the makeup for a first-timer, but my friend Mary knows some tricks that could really bring out the best in your features. If you’re interested, I’m sure she’d help you.”

“But ...”

“The skirt’s nice, though, if that makes you feel better..”

“But ...”

“Listen, I have to go, but I mean it when I said you’re welcome to join us. We meet at the food court at the mall at about four.”

With that, she left, and John was even more confused than ever.

He managed to get through the afternoon, and then wondered about joining Alison and her friends.

“Well, in for a penny ...” he thought, and went to the mall.

By suppertime, he was standing outside the door to his house with bags filled with blouses, skirts, makeup, and more, wondering what his parents were going to say about all this.

John’s dad was sitting in the living room, and he said, “Hey, kid. How was your day?’

“Some girls bought me skirts and stuff, dad.”

“Well, I hope you said ‘Thank you’.”

John shook his head, and took the bags to his room.

That night, John slipped into a nightgown one of the girls had bought him, and sat on his bed.

“The experiment certainly worked. I’m not invisible anymore. But who am I now? A boy in girl’s clothes, or a girl who just woke up for the first time, and found everyone else seems okay with that?”

“I guess there’s no other way to find out but to keep going.”

With that thought, he (or maybe it was she) laid down and went to sleep.

End.

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Experiment #1

I think one thing was missing in this short story.
It was mom and her thoughts it would help to her what she thinks of her son/daughter. Or for that matter a sister's thoughts. A female opinion is needed about the new clothes.

Wolf_0.jpg

a female opinion?

I'll have to see what I can do about that

DogSig.png

Nice story

A nice short story, but I'm a little confused about how he feels. It sounds like he's still invisible, people are only looking at the clothes, and only when he draws attention to them, but I don't hear his reaction to that.

interesting story

I liked this one but part of me was waiting for the storm to happen, I suppose that was the point, it didn't. thanks

nope, no storm

glad you liked it, Heidi

DogSig.png

Slightly Surreal

There's a vaguely dreamlike atmosphere to this story, as if the events described may not have actually happened except in John's imagination. This sense of doubt, by the way, is something of which I thoroughly approve.

Ban nothing. Question everything.

all a dream?

that's an interesting idea, Nicki.

I know I had dreams like that ....

DogSig.png

Thank you Dorothy,

An interesting little story ,I look forward to how you continue it .Mum and Dad still don't seem to notice her.

ALISON

Thank you Dorothy,

How true,and wouldn't it be ' Luverly'.

ALISON

wonderful start

sugar_britches63's picture

to a interesting story line. I do hope you continue with it and explore others feelings as well as John's. A dream might be nice but to much like the cop out it was in the Dallas sires on TV. it may be more interesting to explore the idea of others waiting for her to realize the girl within.

opinor ergo sum

Charlotte Van Goethem

I am sure you can

I think it is a good start. Please keep it going. :)

Clean and simple

laika's picture

and I like the idea that it DOESN'T explain everything. Nothing wrong with being a little enigmatic. John's own ambivalence seems to go with his/her invisibility, like it's on the inside too. Or something...

Oh and I hate you because you got all these damn kudos but I left you another one anyway. Just because I'm a jealous bitch doesn't mean I have to be petty...
Love, Veronica

Neat start

Jamie Lee's picture

It is short, yet a neat start to something that could get really interesting.

This chapter never explained why John no longer wants to be invisible. Why it's important to him for others to notice him.

From the story I think he misses one important point, he really isn't invisible. He is seen and accepted for who he is. And it was proven the minute he walked into school dressed as a girl. Had the other students not accepted him as he was, his fear of being hurt would have been realized.

That Alison wanted to help only strengthens the fact he is accepted as is. Clothes notwithstanding. Even his dads' reaction is proof of acceptance.

John's main problem is in others not relating to him as he expects. He seems to have a skewed sense of how others should treat him. And this experiment #1 is a hint that his view is skewed.

Sure hope more of this story is in the works. There are many questions which need answered.

Others have feelings too.