Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2857

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2857
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

Tuesday came and went. I did manage to watch Danielle play soccer and she scored a hat trick against another school who had no idea of how to contain her. She could have scored more but shared the glory with her team mates who scored another three between them, winning six nil. Once it became known she was an England schools international the opposition faded completely.

I suppose it must be disheartening to have someone with far greater skills appear on the opposing side to you, but then again it inspires some to try harder or to get the most they can out of the encounter. I remember some years ago I went to badminton with Siân, we used to go every week for a about six months, and Siân wasn’t able to come for some reason. In fact the class was short of several regulars that night so the tutor set up a group of four to play amongst themselves and told me to play opposite him—he had a match at the weekend and wanted a work out. He was umpteen levels above my level of skill but I tried to give the best I could and after an hour was playing shots instinctively I’d never thought of before. I got stuffed but I did win one or two points and I enjoyed the work out enormously. Different people have different reactions to situations and mine isn’t always as positive.

Trish and Livvie played in the week and they won as well with Trish scoring the winner. As all the girls use the name Cameron as their surname, the local rag mentioned ‘The Cameron girls strike again.’

‘St Claire’s won their second match this week in the Portsmouth and South Hants schools football league with both games being won by goals scored by two of the Cameron sisters, three or four of whom play soccer.

Danielle (14) is a very talented player who has England schools caps and one England Ladies cap to her credit, scored a hat trick on Tuesday to lead her team to a six nil drubbing of St Mary’s, which puts St Claire’s at the top of the under-fifteens league.

‘Not to be outdone by her older sister, Tricia Cameron scored the winning goal against Fratton Juniors to take them to second place in the under-elevens league. So far this season the Cameron girls have scored twenty seven goals between them making them the most prolific soccer family in the area. Must be something in their genes as their sister Olivia has also scored three of the above mentioned goals. So far younger sister Jemima has yet to open her account.’

I showed the story to Tom who chuckled at it however when Stella read it she laughed so hard she nearly fell off the chair. “Must run in the genes—my arse.”

“Well you must have got your bum from somewhere,” I replied teasing her.

“Not my arse, god you always take things so literally, Cameron. I meant the adopted sisters—how can it run in their genes.”

“Possibly one or other of their parents or siblings are or were good players,” I offered as a working response although it completely ignored, quite deliberately, the point she was making.

Her eyes narrowed, “Don’t obfuscate with me, you—you obfuscator,” she snapped at me then went off to change from her working clothes. She usually wears green or blue scrubs at the hospital—I always tease her that she goes to work in her pyjamas—but obviously she wears clothes to and from work which are smarter than the ones she sits about in at home. I bought her a velour leisure suit for Christmas which she wears quite regularly. I usually slop about in an old and comfortable pair of jeans I got in M&Co a few years ago. I got them in the sale just after I transitioned as my previous pair were becoming too tight in the seat. They’re softer cotton than Levi’s or the blue jeans brands but so comfortable and still a reasonable fit.

The week seemed to have gone by very quickly. Simon was still involved in making contingencies against a financial melt-down caused by China having reduced growth. It makes me laugh, if all the investors acted together to promise they wouldn’t sell their shares but tough things out, the crises would pass but most of them have shit for brains and yellow streaks running right through them or are predators hoping to make fortunes at everyone else’s expense. I also find it amusing that China is a single party communist state but its actions are every bit as capitalist as Europe or America.

The Saudi’s continue to try and destroy America’s shale industry by holding oil prices down and the Iranians are now selling oil so the price is even cheaper. I bought diesel at less than a pound a litre the other day, a while ago it was half as dear again. The big loser appears to be Russia—but then my feeling towards things Russian are far from benign. The whole system there is corrupt with little respect for justice or human life.

In the UK we recently had the finding of an enquiry which suggested a former Soviet intelligence officer who defected to the British was murdered by Polonium poisoning by some Russian agents. It has been suggested that such a high level murder and its method would require sanction from very high up, so very likely that it was approved by the chief crook otherwise known as the President, who might be even richer than Bill Gates but doesn’t do charitable works with his wealth.

Anyway, we all somehow got through to Friday evening and were eating dinner when Simon and Sammi were talking about a sustained cyber attack against HSBC one of the big clearing banks. Apparently they’d had to close down online banking and enquiries presumably while they fortified their system. I remembered the weekend that High St came under that attack and how Sammi directed the defence against it.

In the old days, banks only had to deal with physical attempts to rob them, robbers at the tills or trying to tunnel into vaults, a la Brinks Mat or perpetrating paper frauds with checks or cards. Nowadays, all those options still happen but also hackers and cyber crime which costs billions. I’ve never understood why people turn to crime unless they’re desperate for food or shelter, which doesn’t excuse it but does seem more understandable than they’re too lazy to work at a regular job, or don’t want to pay tax on their income, or enjoy the buzz of stealing things from other people ignoring the effects it has on their victims, especially as these criminals are often far away in foreign countries with no extradition treaties with the UK, so there is little or no comeback. They may be clever hacking into banks or other big commercial sites but they little old ladies they defraud or whose money they take are victims who will never get redress from these faceless cowards, like the scum who create viruses and enjoy watching people’s systems destroyed by their malicious cleverness. I’d give them virus—a large injection of live ebola.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Illness

Hope this is nothing too serious Gwen .
Take care,listen to the doctor, after all he didn't get into all that debt for nothing. 8-)
Karen

I must be getting old

sat there for a moment wondering who on earth Olivia Cameron was .... The brain cell finally kicked into gear and i worked it out , Its what we children called our Sunday names when we were little , You always knew if your full name was used you were in BIG trouble ...

Kirri

I had the same problem,

Livie seems like a fine name for a girl / woman.

I was wondering before I read this how that obnoxious Russian diplomat was doing, if he is still alive that is. His ex and child are still in the background somewhere, and think very highly of that white witch they met. That would bug Cathy sumwhat.

Enjoy seeing Stella

back to her old self.

So when will Jemima become a soccer player? ...or does she have completely different skills.

Looks to me that if Cathy and

Looks to me that if Cathy and Simon could convince all the other girls and then have Danni and Trish and Livvie teach theme and the very young ones the game, the Cameron family could quite possibly field their own team.
Kudos for all three ladies for their skills and wins.

A rose by any other name

Rhona McCloud's picture

Most of the Cameron clan have variations on their name such as Olivia a.k.a. Livie. That made me wonder if other readers have a name they took great trouble to get on their birth certificate which is different to the one they are generally known by.
I blame bank robbery on playing Monopoly as a child.

Rhona McCloud

It seems most harmful virus' originate in China

The Cameron girls are deadly at football.
I thought a hat trick was done only in Ice Hockey, where the tradition is for the audience to actually throw hats onto the ice after 3 goals in a row.
Nice to see a neat expression is used in football also.
Karen