Marley for the Win Part 2

Printer-friendly version

Marley For the Win Part 2

Lisa and Ann both stepped back and looked at Marley then looked at each other. They had never really thought about it but with his longer hair it wouldn’t be that big of a stretch for him to look like a girl. He was 13, but his body hadn’t really changed from puberty, even his voice hadn’t changed.

“It’s the clothes,” his sister said, “That black jersey isn’t going to work, we’re going to have to change it.” Lisa nodded and crossed her arms, then looked into the back of the van.

“I guess it’s still in there,” Lisa said.

“I haven’t taken it out,” Ann answered.

“The good old emergency box comes through again,” Lisa said with a laugh. The emergency box was a plastic tub that stayed in the back of the van. It contained extra cycling clothing, shoes, a helmet, for the entire family. Last summer when the family started traveling to rides more often Lisa had grabbed the wrong bag and left her kit at home. She did the 60 mile ride in regular shorts and a T-shirt, and her rear was sore for the next week. After that her Mom got the idea for the emergency box.

Lisa and Ann dug through the box until they were near the bottom, “I knew there was a good reason to leave this stuff in here,” Ann said as she pulled out a pink jersey, some matching shorts, socks and a sports bra.

“Your old helmet is even in here, perfect,” Lisa said.

“Oh now wait a minute,” Marley said.

“If you want this to work you’ve got to look the part, the girlier the better,” Ann said as she held the jersey up to her chest. It was a light pink with a white swirl motif, accompanied by flowers and butterflies, the shorts were from the same set and even the socks were pink and had butterflies, it was the epitome of girlish.

“Umm, I don’t know,” Marley said.

“Listen you don’t have to do this if you don’t want, it’s totally up to you, but the junior girl’s race is in less than two hours so you better decide,” Lisa said.

“But if people find out I raced as a girl, dressed like that…” Marley said.

“No one is going to find out, we don’t know anyone here, we’re two hours from home, and no one knows you, anyway, when you’re out there racing with sunglasses and a helmet on everyone looks the same,” Ann said. Marley took a look at the pink outfit his was holding up and tried to remember when she last wore it. She got it a couple years ago when she was his age, she had been so proud of owning her own matching kit that she wore it on every ride, but took such care with it that it was still like new. Marley nodded and then smiled making a thumbs up.

“Allright, here’s the plan, take this kit and go into the school, try to find an out of the way bathroom or some place to change then meet me back here and we’ll all go register. I’m going to go get something and I’ll be right back,” Lisa said. She pulled Ann close and whispered in his ear, “Do a little something with his eyes, and maybe some lip gloss or something, oh and give him a bit of padding too, we really don’t want to get caught,” Lisa whispered to her daughter.

Marley sheepishly followed his sister across the parking lot and through the busy registration area towards the school. “This place is huge,” Marley said. His sister mumbled an agreement. They leaned their bikes up against the wall where so many other incredibly expensive racing bikes were just casually leaned. They found their way in and followed signs to the nearest restrooms, a line of men and women had formed.

“Come on, upstairs,” Ann said. They searched until they found an unblocked stairwell, the upstairs corridors were dark and silent but they soon found a completely free bathroom. There was a moment’s hesitation before Marley would enter. “Come on, don’t chicken out now,” his sister said.

“I’ve never been in a girl’s bathroom,” Marley answered.

“Well you’re in for a treat,” Ann said with a laugh and dragged Marley in. “It’s just a bathroom, the only difference is there are no urinals.” Marley looked in wonder at the long row of stalls with doors. “OK let’s do this, I think you should leave your bib shorts on and put these over them,” Ann said handing Marley the pink shorts.

“Why,” Marley asked as he began to remove his shoes.

“Well girls usually have a bit more butt, and the extra padding may help hide your junk,” Ann answered.

Marley turned red at the comment but slid the pink shorts up his legs, they were several inches shorter than his bib shorts. “Umm, now what?” he asked.

Ann pulled the legs of the pink shorts as high as they would go and then neatly folded over the legs of his black Castelli’s and then pulled the pink shorts back down. Marley’s shorts normally went nearly to his knee but these pink girl shorts were almost 4 inches higher revealing much more skin. “There, that should work,” Ann said. “Here, let’s go in a stall in case someone comes in,” Ann dragged Marley into a stall and began to pull his jersey off then pulled down the shoulder straps of his bib shorts. “Allright, you’re going to have to wear this bra,” she said and began to slide the light pink lyrca over his head.

“Wait, why do I have to wear that, no one can see under a jersey,” Marley asked as he brought a hand up to block the undergarment.

“Well there are several reasons, if someone looks close they can see the outline under your jersey, and what if your jersey gets unzipped a bit, a girl your age will be wearing a bra, and most important is that we’ve got to give you some boobs,” Ann explained.

“I can’t believe this,” Marley said as he helped his sister pull on the bra. She used some socks to stuff in the cups giving Marley some small breasts. The jersey was next, Ann pulled the zipper up over the sports bra and dragged Marley to the mirror.

“Come now take a look,” she said with a laugh. He uncrossed his shoulders and looked at himself in the mirror. His jaw almost dropped. The girl’s shorts and cycling jersey were only slightly different from a boy’s model but the differences were monumental. The shorter shorts revealed much more of his slender legs making them look longer, and the girl’s jersey was shaped differently from a boys. It was hourglass shaped, wider and a bit looser at the bottom, very tight in the mid and a wide again near the top, the seams on the front and back seemed to reinforce this shape. The sleeves were much shorter and skinnier than his jerseys. What really blew Marley’s mind was how totally different he looked with a different shirt and shorts, almost like he was another person.

“Well this might just work, especially since you’ve grown out your pretty hair,” Ann said as she mussed up Marley’s hair.

“God this is embarrassing enough without your making fun of me,” Marley said.

“It’s your hair, you’re the one who wanted it longer, why do you want longer hair anyway?” Ann asked.
“I don’t know, I thought it was cool, you know like Thor,” Marley said.

Ann cracked up, “Yeah he’s pretty hot, and your hair is about the same color, but you’ve got about 12 inches or so more to grow.”

Marley crossed his arms, “Dad wouldn’t let me, and now he’s gone, I guess that’s the reason,” Marley said.

Ann’s laughter died, “Yeah, I understand, well lets do a little makeup.”

“Makeup?” Marley asked.

“Yes makeup, but don’t worry it’s just a bit, mainly the eyes, we really don’t want you to get caught” Ann said.

Marley shrugged, and Ann went to work with some eyeliner and mascara, she did something to Marley’s cheeks but he wasn’t sure what. His sister was cracking up at the disgusted face Marley was making when she was applying some lip balm when the door swung open behind them. Surprised they both turned to see an authoritative looking woman in a pants suit with arms on her hips. “Ladies, this part of the school is closed to the racers, you shouldn’t be in here,” she said.

“Oh, I’m sorry mam, see my sister Marley, well this is her first race and she wanted to make sure she looked pretty, she’s really shy about her looks,” Ann said.

The woman’s face softened as she took in Marley, “Well little miss, a pretty girl like you shouldn’t be shy, go ahead and finish up girls, and head back down where you’re supposed to be,” said the lady as she left the bathroom.

Marley and Ann looked at each other and cracked up out of nervousness. Ann poked her brother and said, “Well little miss are you ready?”

“I guess, I thought we were caught, I guess this is going to work,” Marley said.

“You guess, take a good look at yourself, the lady was right, you make a very pretty girl Marley.”

“Oh can it,” Marley said as he looked at himself in the mirror, yet he was stunned, with this new look the words that came to mind were pretty and cute.

“Now listen sis, Marley could be a girl’s name too so we’ll call you that, but if someone refers to you as a girl, a miss, a she, a cutie, sis or whatever just smile and go along with it. Oh, and another thing, you’ve got to try to act like a girl some,” Ann said.

“What be a know-it-all whose never wrong,” Marley said.

“No… Don’t be a disgusting boy, no scratching, keep your hand out of your pants, and nose, and ear, don’t burp in front of everyone, make sure if you need to pee you go to the women’s room, got it?”

“Yeah, OK, but It’s like mom said, I’m just racing and this is over,” Marley said.

“Do you realize if you win you’re going to have to get on the podium looking like that,” Ann said.

“Oh, yeah. I hadn’t realized, what about my voice,” Marley asked.

“Your voice is fine, try to keep your voice light and high though, but it’s not going to give you away,” Ann said. She reached over and gave Marley a hug, then laughed, “I’ve always wanted a sister, look I’ve got to get ready. Why don’t you head back to the van and see if Mom’s back, then we’ll all go register.”

Marley nodded and just before he was out the door he felt a light thump on his back, “Don’t forget these,” he turned to see the pink socks with butterflies, just one more indignation.

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel out of place

Jill Johnson's picture

What a nice heartwarming start. Makes me feel young and innocent again.
Seriously fun reading. Can't wait for more.
Jill