My Safe Place - Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 4

I look up at the lady in the car. My eyes start to water, which I fall to the ground. The lady gets out of her car and runs over to me. I put my hands to my face to try to wipe the tears away. She picks me up and cuddles me. This makes me stop crying. I have not been held like this in years. Last time I was cuddled, was from my own mom. I put my head on her shoulder.

She brought me to her car and set me down on her seat. When she shut the door, she stood there for a minute and started talking on her phone. I wasn't sure what she was saying, because the radio was on in her car.

“...in Brookings, Oregon this afternoon, where a fire broke out at a house. Luckily there was no one at home the time the fire started. Fire fighters believe this was done on accident. They found a grill in back still burning. The Brookings Fire Chief had this to say. “When you leave your house for any reason and you are grilling, please make sure your grill is put out entirely.”

I stopped listening to the radio. They don't know what happened. The nice lady got into her car. I didn't even know she was done with her phone call. She sure talked fast. She did not start driving. She stayed put.

“So little girl, what's your name?” she asked. I was surprised. No one ever called me a girl. I was about to cry again. I looked back at her again. “How about this, I will tell you my name, then you tell me yours. Is that alright, sweetie?”

I nodded.

“My name is Nikki.”

“My name is Ki… Kiara.” I was a little nervous, but that was the first time I ever mentioned my name to anyone, besides my friend Jeremy.

“How old are you?” Nikki asks with a smile.

“I just turned ten in November.” I am starting to feel a little relaxed. I get more comfortable in my seat.

“Where do you live and where are your parents?” She asked me. I start to cry again and looked out at the smoke in the air, coming from my house a few blocks away. I looked up at her, I can see the concerned look on her face.

“Are you hungry? Of course your hungry.” She started the car. “how about I take you to a restaurant and we can talk a little more, is that alright?”

I nodded with a smile. I still had tears running down my face, but I just wiped them away. I start kicking my feet up and down in my seat. I am excited. I haven't had anything good to eat in days. She waited until I buckled my seat belt and then we pulled away.

I wonder what restaurant we were going? We drove a little ways up to all so famous McDonald's . As we pull into the parking lot, I started screaming. Nikki stopped the car and tried to calm me down.

“What's wrong, Kiara?” I kept screaming and pointing to a vehicle in the parking lot.

“There! There!”

What I was pointing to, was my dads car. He had parked it there and had gone in to eat. I could see him inside the building eating a burger.

“Whose car is that?”

“My dad's car!”

She looked closely towards the car and then at dad inside. I hope she doesn't go in and talk to him or something. I start crying and try hiding myself from his view.

“Let's find a different place to eat,” she said and started driving away. I hope he didn't see me. As we drove, she kept looking towards me a few times. We ended up going to the KFC down the street from where we were.

“You stay here for a second, I need to call someone quick, then we can go in and eat.”

She hopped out of the car and started calling someone on her phone. I couldn't hear that well. She had the radio on still. I turned it down so I could hear her conversation.

“… a white, Dodge Omni. Not sure what year…yes in the McDonald’s eating a burger…she's with me at the KFC here in Brookings…I believe she is a victim in a house fire…oh really?…wow!…poor girl…”

She looks at me. I jump and look away. After a while, she gets back in the car to see me. “You ready for some food. My tummy starts growling at the word of food. Which makes me giggle. “I believe so,” she laughed.

We held hands walking into the KFC. I kept looking around my shoulder. We ended up ordering a chicken bucket with drumsticks, mashed potatoes with gravy, coleslaw, potato salad, and some biscuits. When we got to the table, she helped put the food on my plate. She didn't even finish putting everything on the plate, I was already devouring the food.

Nikki wasn't surprised that I was eating so fast. If you haven't eaten any food for days, you would be eating fast too. A family in the table next to us was watching me eat. I wasn't paying any attention to them.

“What a pig,” the mother of the family barked.

Nikki looked at her angrily.

“Hey, give her a break! She hasn't eaten in a few days. Her dad has neglected her and according to the police, she has just become homeless, because her house was burned down this afternoon! If you have a problem with her, find another table!”

I stopped eating and looked at Nikki and the family. I felt ashamed for the way I was eating. I took another chicken and started eating slower.

“I'm sorry,” the mother apologized. “We normally don't see anyone act this way.”

Just then, about five police cars were speeding down the road with their lights and sirens on. The children of the family including I were all looking out the window. They were heading into the McDonald's parking lot. One police car drove into the KFC parking lot where I am. A police woman and man walked in, Nikki walked over to them and started talking. I continued eating. The police woman walked up to me and started talking to me.

“Hi there,” The police officer knelled down next to me. “My name is Officer Judy. What's your name?”

“Kiara,” I answered.

“What's your birth name?”

I started crying. How did she know? Nikki didn't know… or did she?

“Don't worry, we will use both names in the report and I will continue calling you Kiara.”

I started to smile. “It's Noah,” I looked at the family next to us. They were a bit surprised to know that I was a boy.

“Where do you live?” The police officer asked a lot of questions. Some were hard, especially since I don't have a home and my relationship with my dad. She said that some company called Child Protection Services has been notified? I was a bit confused.

While I was being questioned, I continued eating. Eventually, she left and joined Nikki and the other officer. The family had left a while ago. They seem to be a little upset when they left, but I was glad that they were gone.

After a while, Nikki came back with the two officers.

“Well Kiara, we were talking to Nikki here. She has stated to us that she is a foster parent for people like you.” the male officer spoke.

“What do you mean?” I tilted my head to one side.

Nikki sat down next to me. “I run a company down in Crescent City, California that helps with LGBTQ youth that are neglected, abused and or are runaways. I happen to be up here today, to help my little sister with her cafe, when I saw you looking for food in the trash. I'd like it if you would move in with me in my foster home. There will be lots of other children there as well.”

“Are you okay going with her?” Officer Judy asked me.

I nodded.

“Any questions, please give me a call,” She hands Nikki a card. And as for you Kiara, I wish you best of luck.”

I watch the police officers walk away. I had finished my food awhile ago and was ready to go, Nikki helped me clean the table and we headed out to the car.

While walking to the car, I had something on my mind. “What happened to my dad?”

“He was arrested and is going to be locked up in county jail in Golden Beach. If he is convicted, he will be in prison for ten years to life.”

I hopped in the car and buckled up. “Will I have to see him again?” I whimpered.

“Yes, but you will be speaking to the judge and the jury in court, you don't have to talk to him.” She started the car and headed down the highway towards home, or where I will be calling home. During the ride, I looked out the window. It was dark outside now and there was nothing to see. Eventually I fell asleep, even though it was about a thirty minute ride.

My life is going to be better from now on.

I hope

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

the big question

Alecia Snowfall's picture

the big question: out of the frying pan and into the fire? or the arms of salvation?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

like

I wish there was a like button on this site, because sometimes I wish I could just do that.

name.png

like x2

A like button would be good. How about a like factor of 1-10 10 being the best. Only after 4 chapters I give it a 10.

Wolf_0.jpg

.

I often push the Kudo button more than once.

But for some reason, mine seems to break after the first time.

Perhaps I should complain to Management?

T

hope kid ok now daddy

hope kid ok now daddy hopefully get beaten and taken as a prison wife scumbag

Thank you Natasa,

I agree with Marios thoughts ,very true. Quite definitely 10 !!!

ALISON

Reply to Alison

Thanks Alison. Some of other stories I've read I'd give a 10 to as well.

Wolf_0.jpg

not yet

This is not the ending. I am writing the next chapters now. She will finally be able to be herself.

name.png

her life....

..is just starting from the looks of the story and will have a family that will love her for her

Wolf_0.jpg

small bites

Cindy Lou's picture

I have to take this in small bites. For some I guess this is too powerful in memories or yearnings or hurts. And, how to you rate a story whose material pulls you in so hard that you can't see from the outside? Forget the rating. Just a thank you for now.