In Too Deep - Ch 12

Printer-friendly version

Chapter Twelve

Brandin Jessup was royally pissed. Pacing around his luxurious suite at The Teale Centre, you would never know he was in drug rehab. The Teale Centre was the place to go if you were a Hollywood celeb in need of top medical treatment, a quick pick me up, a quiet place to relax, or a weekend getaway without the paparazzi. The best part of it was, you could spin the publicity any way you needed, as this place was all about service....at a price.

The object of Brandin's outburst was a soft-spoken, nondescript man in a light business suit. Thomas Dern was the antithesis of a Hollywood agent. He never hustled. He never swore, smoked, drank, or gambled. in fact, Thomas Dern was known throughout the trade as 'The Mormon'. A moniker that, while it was not actually true, fit the image that he projected.

"I told you this was a bad idea, Brandin. You should have honored the contract. Getting into a pissing contest with Matt Sharp was moronic."

"Hey asshole, you work for me. Who are you calling a moron?" Brandin screamed.

Thomas locked eyes with his young client and softly but clearly enunciated his reply. "If the shoe fits..."

Brandin tried to hold his agent's gaze, but crumbled and flopped back into a chair. "FUCK! Now, what do I do?"

"The way I see it, you have limited options. You signed a contract to star in a film. You violated said contract by going into drug rehab. I seriously doubt that it would help to announce that you were only pretending as a ploy to stall the picture and squeeze a better contract out of the Sharps."

"Hey, why not? It's not like they've signed another actor to play the part. Why can't we announce that I'm all better?"

Thomas Dern's sigh was that of a patient tutor who has suddenly realized that his pupil will never be able to figure out simple arithmetic. "Let me see if I have this straight. You want to go public and say that you falsified a urine and blood screening in order to extort millions of dollars from Matt and Danielle Sharp."

His disgust was not feigned, "You do realize that jail is not nearly as nice as this place, right?"

Brandin looked crestfallen. There had to be a way to get out of this mess. He was Brandin Jessup. He made millions of dollars and was always in the news.

Sure, he had a reputation as a bad boy, but that was all part of his image. He had already been arrested twice on drug-related charges. The first one had been when the police had responded to reports of a naked woman screaming for help from the balcony of his condo. They had found the girl in tears and stoned out of her mind. They had found Brandin nestled between two other naked young ladies. They had also found a wide variety of pharmaceutical and recreational drugs in plain sight.

That episode had earned him a one-year probation with mandatory drug counseling.

Six months later he sideswiped a California Highway Patrol car as the officer was clearing an accident scene. His Lamborghini continued down the road almost 100 yards before coming to rest against a guardrail. By the time the officer reached the car, he was passed out. While Brandin only had vague memories of the evening, his candidly unflattering arrest photos (taken by a photographer with a police scanner that just happened to be nearby) went viral. The judge immediately revoked his probation, and a lot of money had to change hands in order to keep him out of jail. He ended up with a two-year probation, a hefty fine, damages, and 100 hours of community service.

Characteristically (for Hollywood), it only added to his popularity and he was very much in-demand. His agent had found out that Matt and Danielle Sharp had purchased the rights to Soft Kill, a screenplay by one of the industry's hottest screenwriters. The lead role was a challenging character that would put Brandin on the map as a serious actor, rather than just a leading man. It was the kind of role that could transition him from heartthrob to serious adult star. While Brandin was concerned about what the part might do to his image, he was smart enough to realize that Thomas Dern was right. At thirty-one, he had to cross over into serious dramatic roles, or his career might derail.

"OK Thomas, I get it. I was a moron. So how do we fix it?"

The agent maintained his composition while smiling inwardly. Brandin Jessup was a better than average actor who had been skating through life. While he was no better than hundreds of Hollywood hopefuls, he had one huge advantage. He was already a star, which added to the marketability of any project he was attached to. This would gain him the opportunity to hone his craft and develop into a major star well into the future....provided he didn't keep ruining it by being stupid.

"I think we have no choice but to sue."

"How? I thought you said we were in breach of contract?"

"Oh, we are in breach, and they have the power to drop us from the project."

"Then how do we sue?"

Thomas Dern had made a lot of money in this town. He knew the risks that he would be taking with the Sharps. He also knew that they were deeply invested in this project, and needed to get it up and shooting in a hurry. Even though they were riding a wave of success, a single disaster could wipe them out. This city could break you in a heartbeat.

The trick would be to convince them that it would be less costly to bend than it would for him to try fighting the long battle that Thomas Dern could put them through. He also knew that his client would have to make major concessions just to get back in. It was going to cost them both on this picture, but Thomas Dern was in for the long haul. he could take a short-term loss to reap a larger harvest down the road. He was banking on the belief that the Sharps could not afford to take the same risk.

"Here is what we are going to do...."

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lengthy Wait

waif's picture

I apologize for the wait.

My job has been keeping me busy all week.

Expect at least one more chapter before Monday.

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

This adds a new wrinkle in

This adds a new wrinkle in things. It was not appatent from previous chapters that matt and danielle were particularly anxious about losing their lead actor, but the agent seems to think they are. I assume they just always play things cool. And brandin seems to be an unpredictable character, making sloan's path to this role more challenging.

Opposition

waif's picture

In all things.

I was not planning this chapter, I just kinda fell into it as I was pondering what everyone is up to.

Matt and Danielle have a lot riding on this film, but also have targeted Sloan and Dana as possible submissives to replace Gabriel.
Sloan is trying to work out the best way to convince Matt to cast him in the film.
Dana is wanting to help Sloan get his break, but also torn about Danielle's real motives.
Gabriel is trying to facilitate things for Matt and Danielle and is planning his immediate future away from them.

I was suddenly struck with a thought. What about the big name actor that conveniently went into rehab to open the way for Sloan?

This got me wondering what was up with him. Why would he risk his own career when he had the opportunity to play a role that could make his career? This would be like Brando going on a bender and getting dumped from The Godfather, or maybe Johnny Depp going into rehab before the launch of Pirates of the Caribbean. Granted, stars and drugs get weird all the time, but what if the actor intentionally got bounced from the film?

Anyway, it kinda spiraled from there.

:P

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Well, brando kindvof did do

Well, brando kindvof did do that on apocalypse now, though he wasnt really he lead, but he still caused a lotvof havoc with that film.
I kind of assumed (until this chapter) that the lead just went to rehab because he needed to, theres enough lohans and ledgers and etc that have shown that it does happen.
But power plays happen too.....

Ah, a little underhanded

Ah, a little underhanded dealing in the land of Hollywood and Wonderland.

Go figure.

waif's picture

Really, I mean what are the odds something seriously underhanded and screwy would take place in Hollywood, right?

I am loving sharing this story.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

This is cool.

Your plots seems to be a complicated one. I am all ready for a deep intense mind game from your writing. Keep it up. ;)

Complicated?

waif's picture

elizah,

Actually, the plot isn't really as complicated as the characters and how they interact with. I know where the story is going, but the characters keep expanding it as they interact. Is like taking a trip from Los Angeles to Chicago. I know where I will end up, but I don't know what route I'm taking. My characters keep taking these scenic routes.

:P

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

waif

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.

Quit apologizing every thing

Quit apologizing every thing is going well.
Gee, there are rats in Hollywood?

Karen