Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 198

Printer-friendly version

I don't know how long I staggered around the field, the rain still sheeting down, I was soaked right through and very cold as the icy wind whipped around me. Eventually I found the gate and got through it. I was shivering violently.

I tried to run to warm up, but my clothes were heavy with water and the ground was slippery with mud. I fell and fell again trying to get up. Where the hell was I?

Easy As Falling Off A Bike
by Angharad
part 198.

I dressed in the main bathroom and ran down the stairs, my eyes blurred with tears made the journey a little more precarious than usual. Then I was out the door, pulling on my coat as I went, making sure my key was in my bag.

From there I simply walked and cried. My phone rang a couple of times but I ignored it. It would only be bad news. If I could have relived the previous twenty four hours, there were several things I would have done differently. It was too late now.

I had destroyed the future, my future, my happiness. I really questioned whether I wanted to live any more. It struck me as ironic that Stevie wanted to live and was dying, and I felt like dying but would live. If there is a God, he's a bastard!

I hoped Simon had found the ring for several reasons, one being he would understand the messages he'd given me, another, the fact that I didn't want it lost, it was far too beautiful. I suddenly missed my mother, she could have advised me or at least comforted me. Effectively, I had no one.

I would have liked to explain to Simon but it was too late for that, he had rejected me. I had no intention of giving him a second chance to humiliate me. It was sad but I had my pride too. I was doubly sad that I would lose Stella as a sister in law, but that was the way these things happened.

I trudged along in my misery running all sorts of scenarios in my mind. In one I could see Simon talking with his friends at some time in the future, where he related his escape from nearly marrying a boy.

I had to stop at one point, I got so upset that I couldn't even walk. I wanted to fall down and cry hysterically, but I knew it would do me no good. If only I could go back a day or even twelve hours.

I was walking across fields and hadn't noticed how wet my feet and legs were from the grass and weeds. I wanted to go to a place where no one would disturb me or my misery, preferably ever again.

I was finished with men, they just hurt me. I couldn't go through any of this again. From now on, I would never let anyone close to me ever again.

In the middle of a field, in the middle of nowhere, I found a large stone to sit on and screamed and sobbed for probably an hour. When I'd finished my throat was sore and so were my eyes. I was soaking wet, it was raining and I hadn't noticed. Worse than that, I had no idea where I was.

The rain was becoming heavier and I was now getting cold as well as wet. I already felt numb emotionally, now I was beginning to feel it physically too. I was also beginning to fret about where I was. Can people die from hypothermia walking in the countryside.

The rain intensified and I couldn't see much nor hear any traffic, only the rain, lashing into the ground and my hood and face. Was this how my story would end, like it began in a rain storm? I did wonder. In a way it felt complete that it should end like this, I'd gone full circle found acceptance, love and happiness. Then like a fool, lost one after the other like dominoes. Dying seemed a natural conclusion to my fuck up. It was what I deserved. God I felt cold. I started to shiver.

In the poor visibility, I couldn't work out which way I'd come. I couldn't really see the edges of the field and for all I knew I was wandering around in circles. I began to get frightened. Silly isn't it? Here I am half thinking about killling myself and I feel frightened because I'm lost. If I was telling a story, it's so preposterous that no one would believe me, except maybe a psychiatrist. It would also be ironic if I got pneumonia and died instead of having the surgery.

No I needed to stay fit and well, I had to complete on this, to get my body changed. If I died afterwards, it wouldn't matter, but I had to die a woman, not a man or all my suffering for so many years would be in vain. I started crying because now I felt frightened that I had messed that up too.

I don't know how long I staggered around the field, the rain still sheeting down, I was soaked right through and very cold as the icy wind whipped around me. Eventually I found the gate and got through it. I was shivering violently.

I tried to run to warm up, but my clothes were heavy with water and the ground was slippery with mud. I fell and fell again trying to get up. Where the hell was I?

I sheltered under a holly tree, it didn't afford much respite, but I could call for help. I pulled my mobile out of my bag, somehow the rain had got into it and it wouldn't work. I felt like throwing it away in disgust. My purse was wet so was everything else in my bag, it was raining that hard.

I had to keep moving, I was feeling sick with the cold and my shivering was getting worse. I really was heading for hypothermia. Not being sure of where I was going, I had to try and avoid retracing my most recent steps, although I didn't know if I was heading towards or away from Tom's house.

The rain started to ease off but I was feeling befuddled and sleepy. I knew I mustn't go to sleep, keep walking, I told myself. I fell again and it was so hard to get up again in the mud. I was filthy now as well as cold, wet and hungry. Abject didn't even begin to describe how I felt. My skin was beginning to sting with the cold and my hands were numb as were my feet.

I spotted a farm house and walked towards it. A dog barked at me but I didn't care, there may be people or a phone I could use to call help. I got to the door and banged on it. It opened just as I collapsed.

In the distance I heard voices, "Don't touch her, she may be on drugs or drink."

"Get the police."

"Looks like an ambulance may be more use."

"Quick help her up, she's cold."

To cut a long story short, they pulled off my top clothes and wrapped me in a blanket, I have a vague recollection of that. I also felt the hot-waterbottle, it was burning but beautifully so. I was shoved alongside a roaring log fire, and a woman held out a cup of hot sweet tea. I sipped it from her hands, my own were still shaking. I couldn't speak but she seemed to understand.

"Can you understand me?" she asked.

I managed to nod a yes.

"I'm going to try and get you warm enough to stop shaking, then take you up for a bath in warm water."

I nodded again.

"Then you can tell me what you were doing out in the rain, okay?"

I nodded again.

I did start to warm up. She came and checked on me every half an hour.

"Thank you," I said the shivering was gone.

"Oh good you can talk, what's your name?"

"Cathy."

"Okay Cathy, come with me up to the bathroom. I've shoved your clothes in the washing machine, to get the worst of the mud out of them."

In the bathroom I managed to convince her a shower would be sufficient and she provided me with towels and shampoo. She was quite a bit larger than me so she suggested she loan me some of her son's clothes as he was nearer my size.

If my phone had been working I could have called Stella to bring me some. But it wasn't and I couldn't remember her number or that of Tom's house. I felt extremely foolish to say the least.

The shower was bliss and I scrubbed myself from head to foot, the water eventually running clear of the mud. Then I shampooed my hair and rinsed it. At last my body and mind were starting to work again.

I wrapped up in the towel and worked another into a turban around my hair. The woman knocked on the door and handed me the clothes. A pair of jeans and polo shirt, with some Y fronts and socks.

Nothing fitted, it was all too small. She took it all back and came back with a nightdress and dressing gown. They were big but wearable.

We went down stairs and she made some more tea, this time I asked for no sugar.

"Okay Cathy, now what were you doing wandering in our fields in a storm?"

I told her about breaking up with my fiance and just running about in my distress. I also told her where I was staying.

"That's five miles from here," she said in near astonishment.

"I had no idea where I was," I confessed, "but I think I owe you my life."

"It was nothing," she said blushing, "just a nice distraction from the hoo ha of Christmas."

"Could I borrow your phone and I hope I can get a friend to collect me. I may need to make a couple of calls to get the number."

"Of course you can, it's through here."

I looked up the number for the university, my brain was beginning to work again.

"Professor Agnew's Office."

"Hi Pippa, it's Cathy."

"Oh thank God you're safe, Prof Agnew was worried sick."

"I need to get hold of Stella, can you give me Tom's home number?"

She did but then put me through to Tom, I didn't really need a fatherly lecture, but I knew I was going to get one anyway. I wasn't disappointed. He told me that Simon was beside himself with worry and Stella was anxious for me too. I told him that I was going to call Stella to come and get me. He agreed it was a good idea.

I phoned Tom's house and spoke to Stella.

"Oh my God, you are alright?"

"Yes, I got very wet and cold, can you come and get me?"

"Course I can."

"Can you bring me a complete set of clothes and shoes?"

"Yeah, I'll go and pack some up for you."

I explained where I was, the farmer's wife, Anne Smith, had given me directions to the farm. Then I had to sit and wait.

I thanked Mrs Smith for her help and offered her some soggy money for recompense. She refused and so I didn't push the issue.

It was probably half an hour later when the dog barked again and she went to the door. I had managed to dry and comb my hair into some semblance of order. I stood waiting for Stella to come into the room with my clothes.

The door opened and in walked Simon, carrying an overnight bag.

"What are you doing here?" I gasped.

"I could ask you the same question," he replied and I felt myself blush.

He handed me the bag and I asked Anne if I could use her bathroom again. Ten minutes later I was back down, dressed in skirt and top, my red boots and cardigan. It felt good to be back in my own clothes. I placed the bag of still damp stuff that had been washed for me.

Simon handed me my coat, and took my bag out to the car, then he returned with a small case of wine and handed it to Mrs Smith.

She tried to refuse it but he just plonked it on the table. She thanked him but was obviously embarrassed at the same time.

I hugged her and thanked her for her help.

"Goodness you look so different to when you knocked on the door," she said, then she looked at me again. "I know you, it's Lady Catherine isn't it?"

I was about to say no, because I thought that had long since faded, but Simon interrupted. "Yes Mrs Smith, that's her, Queen of the dormice."

"I saw you on the telly, the dormouse went down your jumper, now I remember." She laughed and I blushed and nodded.

Back in the car and heading to Tom's I took issue with Simon for the dormouse story.

"Would you have preferred I told her, yes she was on telly talking about her sex change?"

"No, I s'pose not," I said and looked down at my feet.

up
151 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Angharad, What a Beautiful, Bitter Sweet Chapter

You gave us all a good cry with this chapter. I was wondering what would happen and I am still wondering. You are most definitely the Queen of Big Closet Soaps.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm...... so what's going on here

Simon showed up to get her? I'm a little surprised. Guess we wait until tomorrow for more.

I"m also surprised that the chapter was as long as it was. Would have expected Angharad to end it with the paragraph that ended with "My skin was beginning to sting with the cold and my hands were numb as were my feet."

I guess our kind author took some pity on her readers.

THANK YOU!

Hmmmmm...

This is thoughtful. I'm glad Cathy recognized (eventually) that she needed to not die out there. Having been cold and wet before, I know how miserable it is. Having Simon show up was almost a surprise. I do look forward to being a "fly on the wall" when they get a chance to "talk"...

The only bit I wasn't happy with was "cutting a long story short"... I assure you, I'd have sat patiently reading the long story. :-)

Thanks

Re: Hmmmmm...

I'm glad it WAS Simon who came for her. He must have been feeling like a real bastage for having rejected Cathy during the night. It seems there still may be hope for these two!

Jenny

Issues issues

Well I'm not surprised. Yes I was a bit taken back by this sudden break-up but on the other hand, it's not that surprising. Cathy's in such a vulnerable state now, while in the final stage of transitioning. -Well physically, that is- And very uncertain and concious of the imperfection which hinders healthy fulfilment of the relation she shares with Simon. Such -understandable but wounding nonetheless- reactions as Simon was giving can be interpreted as rejection, but are more likely the result of inner conflicts, which at times can peak unusually high, certainly in times of heightened stress and pressure.

There will be more turmoil and emotional roller coaster for them both, while enjoying a relation, then other more common couples have, but these hefty trials will essentially forge their bond.

Thank you Angharad.

Jo-Anne

Just right for Super Chooseday!

A perfect chapter, Ang, perfect to take my mind off things like Super Dooper Chooseday, news of which seems to be emanating from every radio programme in UK too; why do elections in the US take so long when ours in UK only last 3 weeks? (The maximum allowed by UK election law)

So Simon still loves her, (sob, sob, sniff) and I must find a new box of tissues along with, I'm sure, many of your other word-hanging readers. Stella has obviously "had words"!

So Part ICC tomorrow, and then 2C or not 2C? That is the question. I think I'm going dotty!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Super chooseday

These last few chapters have been very well written.Hopefully Cathy will now be able to move forward secure in her knowledge she must be complete.Simon must learn to be more sensitive to her situation and she must be equally sensitive to him and understand that it is difficult for him as well.Gabi the scary part is Americans wish we had more and better candidates to choose from imagine how long that would take and how much that would cost.Amy

US Presidential Election

Gabi,

An awful lot of people, such as "spin doctors", make their living off of things as they currently are. Following the money is usually a good method of investigation.

As another person stated, if "None of the Above" was a ballot option, that choice would be the overwhelming victor.

Unfortunately, the fire is first getting stoked. There will be the Theatre of the Absurd party nominating conventions over the Summer. The general election campaign in the Autumn rates to be yet another mud slinging event.

If only George, Tom, Ben, et al. could be reincarnated. Heaven knows, the US badly needs people of that stature, again.

G/R

No, Super Tuesday

Or is that Soup or Tuesday?

I choose the soup.

Great chapter. I don't think she should forgive him so quickly. Maybe they can agree the enguagment is off until she has had the operation and recovered. That and Des needs to be castrated. He is not simply teasing Cathy, I think he is just shy of making a play for her like its some silly *Public School* competition, Bang the other's Fiancee.

Why the hell didn't Stella come instead of Simon? His *galant* gesture could just have easily sent her over the edge again. Her reaction in the car shows she is uncomfortable in his presence.

John in Wauwatosa
PS I'm dreading the 14 to 20 inches of snow we may get in the next 24 hours. 20 inches is roughly half a meter to you metric fans.

John in Wauwatosa

Potentially explosive points

Just in that last bit it could have all gone wrong a couple of different times. Such as here: "I know you, it's Lady Catherine isn't it?"

I was about to say no, because I thought that had long since faded. What if she had said it, she already told the couple she broke up with her fiance?

Then there is this bit: "Would you have preferred I told her, yes she was on telly talking about her sex change?" Thats going straight for the open wound, isn't Simon? Her reply could easily have been "Why not, it's been the problem all along, hasn't it?"

And she could have refused to go with Simon in the first place.

My, my, think of the bloodshed.

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Paranoid?

I am so enjoying this story. It is one of my faves on this site. Each new episode brings a new challenge to Cathy. I am confused by her logic this time. There were too many points where she could have tried to get better info from Simon. Instead she runs out in the fields to get chilled, perhasps sick, and inconveninece those that care for her. Please don't try to make changes because I, a dumb blonde, don't understand Cathy's logic. Please keep the same writing and resultss that are working so well. If I had your talent, I might have tried to write a tale too. Mine qould never haver captured the hearts and imagination as yours does. That is talent. Thank you for sharing this wonderful essay with us.

This is seriously good

In a kind of comical way.

I thought I was going to have to read today's instalment tomorrow, but I managed, otherwise it would have been yesterdays.

Either you've had one hell of a life or are... well anyway, keep 'em coming Ang.

NB

Thank you again!

Thanks again for a beautifully told story. I can't wait to see Cathy get back with Simon, if she does, or is this just the last hurrah? (But I'll have to, eh?)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Thank you again!

Thanks again for a beautifully told story. I can't wait to see Cathy get back with Simon, if she does, or is this just the last hurrah? (But I'll have to, eh?)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Sorry about that!

I don't know why my post got there twice. Did I push a wrong button? [Sigh!]

Yours from the GWN,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Should Cathy Get New Skins?

Just a random thought: as Cathy's cycling hero, David Millar has left Saunier-Duval, is she going to get a set of Slipstream-Chipotle skins for her cycling exploits after her SRS? Will the Argyle strip suit her? Maybe she should get Maddy Bell to organise a set of Apollinaris skins as that is a ladies’ team.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

If I am reading this

If I am reading this correctly, the woman knows Cathy's "secret" because it is mentioned that she left Y-fronts with the clothes and she had undressed Cathy. So Cathy now needs to confront Simon as to his intentions regarding her. Are they going to be a couple or not. I would like to see them as a couple, but not at the expense of Cathy's well being.
J-Lynn

This story continues to be

a very compelling read. Coming off HRT prior to major surgery; hot sweats and mood swings - no thanks, not again if I can help it. Bad enough in January in the UK, thank God it wasn't August.

I can understand Simon to an extent, it's simple for him. He's in love with a girl who has a medical problem. Some of the symptoms of her problem, and her feelings at this time, are way beyond his comprehension. Add to that the fact that he is a privileged member of society and can, at times, be very insensitive and you have an explosive mixture.

Just what we need, Angharad. Really! Just what Kleenex needs, too!

Susie

Right on Simon

Thanks Ang ! I was afraid that the suicidal streak of Cathy's would be successful .
Good to see that after reality bit, Simon got over his shock, and realized he was in love with Cathy's mind not her private flower. (how'd I do with that??)
Intriguing situation, no ? You are a mistress at this stuff.

Cefin