The Silver Lining Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Andrew McKenzie is a junior in highschool when a strange incident sweeps the world. In the aftermath Andrew is left confused and unsure what's happening to him as he slowly begins to notice changes. How we he and his family find the silver lining?


Mom

It was hard to sleep with all that was going on. My mind was wandering in so many different directions but sometime during the night I’d managed to doze off. I was trying to be strong for my son, but I was terrified at what toll becoming my daughter had taken on him. She was still asleep for now and thankfully there were no noticeable changes today. I could only hope the worst of this was behind her but I knew there would be more struggles ahead.

For the first time in years I thought about her father. How would he have handled this? He was so happy when Andrew was born. Every Man wants a son but how would he have dealt with his only son becoming his second daughter? It was like something out of a sci-fi novel.

Scott was a good man though I was certain he would have been a good father to Andrew just as he was to Amanda. He loved his little girl and something told me he would have loved this little girl too. Andrew was so young when that drunken asshole took him from us he never got the chance to know him. I wonder what he remember about Scott sometimes. I wanted to tell him everything but I knew it was best that I didn’t. It would only cause him pain now knowing how great the father he lost was. It was better the less her remembered.

Scott took care of us though even in death. Between a large life insurance policy, his inheritance, and the money awarded to us in the civil case against the drunk in the fancy car we were well off.
I was able to buy us a house just outside the city and be a stay at home mom and dad for my kids. The three of us had never wanted for anything, but it still wasn’t a replacement for Scott. I wished he was here now. I didn’t know if I could handle this alone.

Andrew stirred a bit but didn’t wake. We’d fallen asleep in the hospital bed together watching a movie and her head rested on my shoulder. I couldn’t help but stare at her face, and brush her light brown hair away from it. She was just such a beautiful girl now, and I couldn’t stand that face being covered. Despite her beauty though if there was a way to change her back to the boy she was I would spend every dime I had. I knew this wasn’t easy for her how could it be? I hated seeing either of my kids in any kind of pain emotional or physical, and she’d been put through a lot to become this pretty girl.

The doctors had made it clear though. The best they could do was aid her in transitioning back with treatments that would produce nowhere near the results as whatever gave her this pretty face. Yes she could become a boy again but she would never look like she used to, and then there was the pain and trauma it would cause. She’d been spared physical pain by whatever had done this to her, but that would not be the case if she chose to go back. I had to protect her from that.

Andrew had always been a smart and open minded kid. She never judge anyone. I hoped now she would be open minded enough to accept being a girl and not feel like she was somehow less than she was. The gender may have changed but I had to make her realise that wasn’t a bad thing, and then make her see how amazing being a girl could be. I knew it wasn’t going to be easy but between his sister and I we had a strong chance.

Andrew stirred again this time raising her head and looking around. “Good morning honey.” I said as she yawned.

“Morning…. Well I don’t feel any different today. Anything change?” I looked her over more closely now that she was awake and then shook my head.

“Nothing I can tell, but I think you better go see for yourself.” I said pointing towards the bathroom.

“Yeah… I have to pee anyway. God why does the urge to go always feel so intense as a girl?” She asked as she walked towards the bathroom with the back of the hospital gown open showing her new panties. Three days in those thing and she hadn’t learned yet to keep the back closed.

“Well I have nothing to compare it to hun but just be careful we can’t hold it as long as guys can. Don't go peeing yourself and don’t forget to wipe!” I said with a bit of amusement at having to potty train my 16 year old.

I waited nervously as she checked for changes and used the bathroom. I could only hope this was over and she wouldn’t find anything. I didn’t know how much longer they were going to keep her here for observations be I was ready to take her home. There was so much we had to do.

While I waited I took my phone from the charger and checked my messages. Beth and Kim had sent me texts again asking for progress reports. I hadn’t told them much other then Andrew was in the hospital and it wasn’t life threatening. After sending them a quick text the he was still fine making sure to use he and not she I posted the same on my facebook wall for the people asking there.

Beth and Kim had been my best friends since Andrew was in grade school I knew sooner or later I'd have to talk to them about what had really happened. I just hoped they weren’t mad about keeping it a secret. Amanda and I had both worked hard to keep our friends that knew Andrew was in the hospital in check. I assumed by now Beth and Kim had put it together that Andrew was the patient on the news from our town, but from what I could tell they were keeping what they knew secret.

Finishing the facebook post Andrew finally returned from the bathroom and sat on the bed with a sigh. Hopefully I smiled at him. “Nothing new?”

“Nope… still the same as yesterday.” I let out a long sigh of relief. I knew the doctors would have to take her for more tests to make sure nothing had happened internally, but at least she could start getting used to her body now without having to adjust to further changes.

“That’s good. Maybe it’s all over.” I said hopeful.“ I need to change and shower call the nurse and order your breakfast. I dug in the bag I’d brought with me the second day Andrew was kept at the hospital and found a change of clothes along with my shampoo and other toiletries. Andrew was looking over the menu the nurse left by her bedside as I went into the bathroom and hopped in the shower.

It had been a long few days and the shower felt great. I was still worried about Andrew but I was proud of the way she was dealing with things. Our relationship had grown closer from this whole thing and I was glad of that despite the reasons behind it. I tried my best when Andrew was growing up to be there for him but he was never really interested. There’s only so much time a boy wants to spend we his mother, and though I tried I could never take the place of a father.

Girl’s were different though and now that we shared that bond I began to hope we’d only get closer. We never shared the same interests before but now who knew how she’d feel? Maybe she’d grow more interested in those things her sister and I shared. Maybe my new daughter and I would become as close as my eldest daughter and I. It already seemed we were on our way in the right direction and that made what had happened to her a bit easier to take.

After drying off brushed my teeth, put on some make-up, and got dressed. Andrew was already eating and moaning away like she had been when she ate lately. It was like everything she tasted was for the first time now and seeing her enjoy something was nice.

“Good?” I asked with a smile and got a nod in return as she ate her egg whites. I worked on drying my hair and put my dirty clothes in the bag before sitting down in the chair beside her. “If they keep you here much longer Amanda will need to bring me some more clothes from home.”

“You don’t have to stay. I think the changes are done so I should be alright tonight.” Andrew said between bites as I shook my head.

“I’m not leaving you here alone. Now eat your food I’m sure the doctors will be here soon.” I said unwilling to go when she might need me.

It was still mid morning when Doctor Phillips and Foster came to check on Andrew. I stood to the side and watched as they examined her today. It made me uncomfortable seeing it today. After three days watching her be examined I didn’t like that she was becoming a lab rat. I wanted to take her home so when I saw the chance I pulled doctor Foster outside into the hall.

“When can I take her home?” I asked bluntly and a bit agitated after watching them inspect my daughter.

“It’s hard to say. We don’t want to release her until we’re sure she through changing. It appears she might be done but we want to make sure. We’ll keep her for one more day if tomorrow she doesn’t show signs of any more changes we’ll let you take her home.” I took a deep breath happy that it wouldn’t be much longer if everything went well.

“Thank you Doctor Foster. I don’t mean to sound ungrateful I just want her to get on with her life.” I said as the young Doctor gave me a smile.

“You’re welcome Mrs. Mckenzie and I understand. I would recommend that she takes a few more weeks off from school though and that you find a therapist for her to talk to once we do release her. I suspect the changes to her body are not the last challenges she’ll have as a result of that cloud.”

I agreed and we rejoined Andrew and Doctor Phillips in the hospital room as the older doctor finished his exam. After going over the tests Andrew was going to receive today the two doctors left to prepare everything and we turned on the TV. Flipping the channels we waited for the nurses to come collect us.

“How are you doing hun? All these tests and exams have to be getting to you?” I asked wondering how my daughter was coping.

“I’m doing ok. I wish it was over. The first few times my body didn’t feel like my own so it was easier to deal with, but the more I get used to it the more difficult it gets.” I watched as she squirm nervously explaining it to me.

“Well hopefully tomorrow is the last time. Doctor Foster said if nothing changes between now and then he’ll let you come home.” Smiling I saw her eyes light up as I told her she may be going home tomorrow and it made me happy. She was as ready as I was to put this behind us.

“God I can’t wait. It feels like I've been here for a year already.” She said visibly excited by the idea.

“You’ve been through a year’s worth of stress and drama hun that’s for sure but we’re almost done I think.” Seeing the end of this phase of her change I could only hope she continued to deal with things as well as she had so far.

It wasn’t much longer until the nurse came and we were off for the tests. It felt like we were stuck in a replay of the previous day as I held Andrew’s hand and helped her through the different tests. It was hard to watch sometimes but we both made it through and even stopped for so lunch this time.

I could tell we had been in the hospital too long at this point as was starting to know some of the staff by name. The security guard that followed us around now was a nice man and even though he knew what had happened to Andrew he didn’t treat him like a freak. I could only hope the rest of the world would be as kind. It made me wonder how the world would react to my son and the other affected by that cloud.

An image flashed in my head of the cloud as I stood in our kitchen watching it over take our house. I had wondered several times since this started if Andrew would have been spared all this had she been at home. Maybe our house would have protected her better then that old school room. I shook my head. There’s no use thinking about that what’s done is done.

Andrew looked at me and took my hand as I walked beside her. “What’s wrong?” she asked me seeing the shake of my head.

“Noting hun.” I told her with a smile as I squeezed her hand.

Finally we made it back to the room and through another day of testing as the sun was setting outside. One more day I thought to myself. One more day and she can come home. The thought made me happy again replacing the thoughts of the cloud and Amanda greeted us as we entered Andrew’s hospital room.

“Hey honey. How was school.” I asked giving her a hug.

“Not bad. Kinda hard to concentrate with all that’s going on though. I keep think about you and Andrew here.” I watched as Amanda and Andrew greet each other with a hug. It made me feel good to see them like that. They had always at odds before but it seemed my relationship with Andrew wasn’t the only one that had changed.

The two of them sat and chatted a bit about the day as I played with me phone. I had already replied two the two people I was most concerned about but now I had time to get to a few more. My thumbs danced on the keys as I reassured this person and that on Andrew’s condition without revealing too much.

When a knock came on the door I was a bit surprised. We weren’t expecting the doctor’s to stop by so soon after the test so I went to answer it. Standing outside was a white haired man in a nice black suit and a smile. “Yes? may I help you?” I asked.

“Hello Mrs. Mckenzie I’m Donald Tillman head of the hospital. I’d like to speak with you and your daughter for a moment if that’s ok.” I tilted my head as he introduced himself presenting his hand wondering why the head of the hospital would be coming to see us.

“Let me check with her and see if she is up to it.” I told him before closing the door and returning to Amanda and Andrew. “The head of the hospital would like to speak with us hun are you ok with that?” Andrew's face wrinkled a bit and I could tell she was a bit confused like I was.

“The head of the hospital? Why does he want to talk to me?” She asked and looked over at the door.

“I don’t know hun but if you aren’t up to it I'll tell him to come back some other time.” I knew she had already met enough doctors and nurses who knew what had happened to her, but I wasn’t sure if she wanted other people seeing the new her yet or not.

“I guess it’s alright.” She said covering up with the blanket on the bed as I went to let Mr. Tillman in.

Opening the door I motioned for him to come in and he gave a big smile as he entered before walking over to Amanda and then Andrew shaking their hands. “Hello Andrew. I’m Donald Tillman I hope our doctors are making you as comfortable as possible under the circumstances?” Very graciously Andrew told him they were and thanked him for all the hospital had done for her so far. I couldn’t have been more proud smiling and watching her handle Mr. Tillman.

“What can we do for you Mr. Tillman?” I finally asked after Amanda introduced herself as well.

“Nothing at all. I’m just here to say I’m truly sorry about the leak that brought the reports here. It turns out that the source as a sonogram tech that examined your daughter the first day she was here. Needless to say he is no longer employed with us.” Showing us a picture of the tech I'd never seen him before but Andrew seemed to know exactly who he was.

“Oh yeah I remember him. Do you know everything he told them about me?” Andrew asked nervously. I could see her playing with her hair twirling it around a finger like her sister would do when she was nervous.

“Yes I had a long talk with him before we let him go. It appears the media knows your name or at least this Susan Lopez does. Apparently she is the one our former tech spoke with.” Andrew shivered hearing they knew her name.

“Why has she used it then?” I asked upset that at any moment Andrew’s name might be all over the television along with what had happened to her.

“I have no idea Ms. Mckenzie. Perhaps they're just doing the right thing and protecting an innocent who’s been put through a lot lately. I true hope that’s the case but I'm afraid there’s nothing the hospital can do about it at this point. However what we can do is take care of all the hospital bills while you were here with us. I know it doesn’t make up for the violation of your privacy but we are deeply sorry for what happened.” Saying his goodbyes Mr. Tillman apologise one last time and closed the door behind him.

I could see the tears in Andrew's eyes so I joined his sister beside her and we both gave her a hug. “It’ll be ok hun. You can get through this.”

“Everyone is going to know what happened to me Mom.” I nodded knowing very well that according to Mr. Tillman at any moment my daughter’s name could be all over the news, and that any privacy she may have had before would be gone.

I didn’t know what to do but staring at my new daughter an idea began to form. “Why don’t we do it on our own terms honey?” I asked as I brushed her hair back again. “Let’s show them how strong and beautiful you are. If your name is going to be out there why don’t we control it and put a face with the name?”

Amanda and Andrew stared at me a bit surprised by my idea. “Are you sure mom? If she does that she’ll never be able hide.” Amanda asked before Andrew could say anything.

“It’s going to be out there either way. We know that now, but with a face… a pretty face put with it maybe people will sympathise more with what’s happened to her. What do you think hun” I said asking Andrew and hoping I wasn’t asking too much of her.

“I think it’s scary but it’s better than someone who doesn’t even know me putting my whole life story out there with no control over it.” I could see determination in her eyes now through the tears. She could handle this and with a face like her’s everyone would love her.

“Was the news crews still outside when you came in Amanda?” I asked wanting to get on this a quickly as possible before the evening news started.

“Yeah tons of them.” She said smiling as she got on board with the idea.

“Good. I want you to go out to them and see if you can find that Susan Lopez or someone who can contact her. Give her my cell phone number and tell her I’m the mother of Andrew Mckenzie.” Nodding as she grabbed her purse Amanda left on her little mission and I took Andrew’s hand.

“We have something to decided hun. What name do you want out to the public?” I knew this would be hard but I also knew a more female name would make things a lot easier on her.

Sighing she leaned her head back and stared at the ceiling for a moment. “Yeah I guess Andrew isn’t a great name for a girl.”

“It doesn’t matter if you want to keep it that’s fine, but I'm not going to lie something more feminine will go over better I think.” I could see her thinking as I waited for her answer.

“You’re right but I have no idea what my name should be. Do you have a name picked out if I had been born a girl?” I nodded with a smile.

“Alexis Madeline Mckenzie.” I announced. It was a beautiful name and one her father had picked before we knew I was having a boy. It was only right that he had a say.

“Alexis Mckenzie.” she said aloud as if trying it out. I sat patiently hoping she liked it. “I could be an Alexis I guess.” She finally said. I couldn’t contain the smile and gave her a big hug.

“You can be anything hun.” I told her just as Amanda returned.

“Alright mom I gave some guy with her news crew the number and he said she’ll give you a call shortly. There are so many news crews out there. Are you sure you want it to be her that Andrew talks to?”

Before I could say anything Andrew corrected her. “Alexis…” he told her. “Mom said that was going to be my name if I had been born a girl so I guess it’s only fair it’s my new name now that I am. Amanda smiled.

“Alexis.” She repeated trying it out the same way her sister did earlier. “I like it. You look like an Alexis too, but what about this Susan Lopez chick? Why her mom?”

“She’s the one we know for certain knows...Alexis’ old name.” I made sure I used the new name we all had to get used to it. “I want to make sure she doesn’t announce it before your sister is ready to do an interview, and the only thing we have to offer her is that she gets to do the interview.”

We all waited nervously for the call as it got closer to the late news. I still wasn’t sure this would work but it was all we could do. Finally and hour later my phone rang. I took a deep breath and then answered it. “Samantha Mckenzie.”

“Hello Mrs. Mckenzie this is Susan Lopez with the Late Night News. I received a message to give you a call. How can I help you tonight?” Her voice sounded different than it did on television it was softer and more kind.

“I’m the mother of Alexis Mckenzie I believe you know her by the name Andrew thanks to a certain hospital employee. First I would like to know what you intended to do with my daughters name?” I kept my voice stern to make it clear I wasn’t happy with how she’d learned about my daughter.

“The public wants to know who your daughter is Ms. Mckenzie. Out of respect we have kept her old name quite for now but we have competitors and at some point we will have to report the news or someone else will.” I hated how sweet she sounded. I wanted to hate her.

“Very well then I have an offer for you. Alexis wants to be the one to tell the world who she is. If you refrain from announcing her name until she is ready she’ll do the interview with you and your station.” My stomach turned nervously hoping she would accept the deal and give us some time.

“I think we can agree to that but it has to be somewhat soon. Like I said we don’t know how long it’ll be before another news organization beats us to it.” I could tell she was excited by the idea.

“One week...One week from today that will hopefully give my daughter time to talk with people she needs to and prepare herself.” It had worked for now Alexis had at least another week out of the public eye.

“Agreed. Thank you for calling me Ms. Mckenzie. I look forward to speaking with you and your daughter again soon.” Still wanting to make it clear I wasn’t happy I hung up without a goodbye.

“It’s done. Their going to keep your name a secret until you’re ready to do the interview.” Alexis let out a long breath and Amanda gave a little cheer. “Now all we have to do is get you out of here...hopefully tomorrow and then we start figuring things out once we’re at home.

“I can’t wait to be home again.” Alexis announced. “So how do we go about changing my name now?”

I hadn’t thought about the act of actually changing her name legally. Normally it took forever but maybe I could get some help. “I’ll ask Doctor Phillips tomorrow if the government can help since this is a special case. If not we’ll just have to do it the normal way, and hope it doesn’t take forever.

I didn’t know what the future held for us but we were dealing with it as it came. I was incredibly proud of how our family was handling this and when Amanda left for the lot I made sure to tell her. It wasn’t just Alexis that was showing how strong and beautiful they were. Amanda had been doing so much for me and her sister and I wanted her to know I noticed.

I needed some air after being cooped up in the hospital so long so I walked with her to her car. It was amazing seeing the crowd of news vans and crews just off the hospital property. The whole world was watching those that had been infected and there was no stopping it now.

By the time I returned to the room Alexis had fallen asleep obviously worn out physically and mentally from the day. I made sure she was covered after I saw her shiver and then finally laid down myself. I hope we can go home tomorrow...

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I don't trust the doctors one

I don't trust the doctors one bit, one seems eager to make a name for himself and could be trouble for Alexis. I hope her mother gets her way and she takes her home soon, they need to get as far away from that mess as possible.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Well, the sonogram tech is

Brooke Erickson's picture

Well, the sonogram tech is looking at jail time and probably a big civil suit too. The laws about medical privacy (HIPAA and others) are just a *bit* on the strict side.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

A Week?

Can't see the secret lasting nearly that long, if there's still so much interest in the case that teams of reporters are crowding around the hospital.

Eric

A week, seriously?

The secret won't last that long. Hopefully those who see and hear her will be convinced. This is not the typical TG case. I have no doubt that the government will want to keep poking and prodding. Obviously, she will have new friends, losing the easily homophobic boys, and gaining some girl friends. Still, she's got things to learn because she has not been female for 16 years. Her first mense will be ucky, and the frisson she will feel at the very sight of some boys will be astonishing. Yeee Hawww, what a ride this is gonna be !!! Mom and Sis will have to protect her from boys. She's not had time to find out how lewd and violating they can be.

Sort of surprised that she has not picked up some "powers", but that can get tiresome at times. Most of us just have to make do without them.

Gwen

being outed

that's gonna be rough.

DogSig.png

It is said that the best

It is said that the best defense is an offense and I believe that Alexis' mom has made an excellent move on behalf of her daughter. They now need to get home without all the reporters knowing that they left the hospital, so they don't find them camping around their home.
I would ask the hospital administrator for a small help in that matter, by using an ambulance to left the hospital in. They could run it around to the ER doors and allow Alexis, her mom and possibly her sister if she is there to leave that way. Then drop the three off where Amanda has parked their car.
Alexis definitely needs to speak with her two girl friends and other friends she has made via her sister, so she can get a leg up on that scene. The more friends she can surround herself with the better.