Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2900

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2900
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

Fortunately Tom took my revelation that he rated me as a better teacher than he was, very well. In fact he roared with laughter—sort of a cross between a lion and a hyena. “Aye, weel I’ll hae tae agree then won’t I? Seeing as yer predecessor wis such a guid judge o’ teachers; but ye’re no a better scientist.”

“I’m not going to argue.”

“Look, aboot earlier on, ye’ve every richt tae feel angry, but we hae a protocol tae follow and we hae tae follow it. Jest think whit wud happen if we didnae and ye were appointed. The university cud be in an awfy mess and it widnae reflect weel on ye or I.”

“I’m going to apply for Bristol as well.”

“That’s up tae ye, but ye’re oot in front f’ Portsmouth.”

“As I’ve done the job for ages, I would hope so.”

“Are ye still mad at me?”

“No, Daddy, I’m not because I appreciate the position you’re in, but if I don’t get it, I shall resign.”

“Aye, that’s fair enough.”

“As soon as I know—I won’t be giving notice, I’ll just leave.”

“Ye’re no threatening me, are ye?”

“No, I don’t mean it like that simply if I’m not good enough for the job then apart from the fact I shall consider it an insult after how many times I’ve helped save the place, I won’t want anything to do with them and I will take the survey with me.”

“That wis originally mine.”

“You can’t have it all ways, I’ve given too much of my life to it to surrender it to anyone else now. Sorry, Daddy, but it’s the only weapon I have to respond with if I feel hard done by.”

“I think it’s a wee bit unnecessary.”

“That’s as maybe. I won’t mention it in the interview unless they ask. I’ve registered it all in my name, it goes where I go and Sammi’s software of course, belongs to her.”

“Hell hath no fury, it certainly disnae compared tae ye.”

“No it doesn’t does it. But if they decided to appoint someone else then as far as I’m concerned, Portsmouth is shit and I am off.”

“And whit if ye dinnae get Bristol?”

“I don’t need to work, do I? I might just make films and supervise my two nature reserves. I will of course rescind the agreement we have and work independently or with whichever university who recognises my value.”

“Ye’ll destroy yer department.”

“No, the university will—I’ll just be the instrument or catalyst.”

“Sae all ma work will gang doon the pan, will it?”

I shrugged, I was still rather raw about the whole thing so saving his legacy wasn’t a priority, seeing as I’d changed much of it anyway, it didn’t much matter to me either way.

“Whit aboot yer students?”

“What about them? If you appoint someone who’s better than I am, they’ll be in safe hands won’t they?” Not that I’ll care, I’ll be like enraged battleship if it happens.

“Ye disappoint me, Cathy.”

“I could say the same.”

“Aye, weel parent’s always disappoint their children.”

“So they do, or did. I’m determined not to do it to my kids.”

“We’ll see.” He sloped off to his study and I suspect he had more than his usual tipple. He was still in his study when I went to bed at half past eleven.

“What’s going on between you and Tom?” asked, no demanded, Simon when we were in bed.

“I’ve got to apply for my own job.”

“Yeah been there done that—not very nice. I threatened to withdraw my shares.”

“Goodness, what did they say?”

“I got the job.”

“It helps if your dad owns the business.”

“Nah, he wasn’t on the interview panel, conflict of interest stuff, not that he’d have any conflict about it, the bank comes first, always has.”

“The university won’t to me. If I don’t get the job I walk immediately.”

“Is that wise?”

“Probably not.”

“So why do it then?”

“To register my displeasure, I shall go and take anything of mine with me including the survey data and ownership and the study centres.”

“You’d take those too?”

“Yes.”

“Wouldn’t that harm the university?”

“I wouldn’t care, I’d have gone.”

“I wouldn’t have thought you’d do something like that.”

“What they sow, so shall they reap.”

“Fine, I only asked.”

“I’m tired now, goodnight, darling,” I pecked him on the lips and turned over but couldn’t sleep, my head was whirring as my brain visited every conceivable outcome and worked through it.

I must have slept because I woke aware of something standing by my bedside. I opened my eyes and there in all her glory stood the Shekina. “Milady? Isn’t there a danger my husband will see you?”

“He can’t can he, not unless we grant him that privilege but he won’t anyway.”

“To what do I owe this honour, milady?”

“Your adopted father needs your help.” With that she was gone and I was left staring into the darkness wondering if I’d dreamt it all. I was sleepy and fuzzy and wasn’t quite sure what she’d said, something about Tom, was it?

I slipped out of bed and went for a wee, then I grabbed my dressing gown and slippers and padded down to his bedroom. I edged open the door but it was obvious he wasn’t there. According to his bedside clock it was two in the morning.

I descended the stairs nearly falling down them when I mini cannonball shot past me miaowing at the bottom before she shot into the kitchen. It was obvious that he wasn’t in any of the reception rooms so I went to enter his study. There was a strange noise emanating from within and I could see in the light from his desk lamp he was slumped in his chair.

“Oh Christ,” I muttered and rushed towards him. His face seemed contorted on one side. No not a stroke, I felt really sick. Is the universe going to take this man that I love like my father, like it took his predecessor? Not if I could help it.

I tried to rouse him, what’s that drill, can they speak, raise their arms—shit I can’t remember. His eye opened, just one, and he peered at me. He was dribbling and his chest was all wet. I grabbed a handful of tissues and patted him dry—well drier.

He looked confused, a feeling we shared at that moment before I realised that I might be able to help him. I took his hand and he squeezed mine. I felt something moving between us and I instinctively placed my other hand on his head. There was a freezing cold sensation and he groaned and seemed to slump even lower in the chair. Had I killed him?

I kept on at my task and sometime later, I don’t know how long, I felt him stir and the coldness ceased. He looked at me confused for a moment, “Cathy, whit are ye daeing here?”

“It’s three o’clock, I could ask you the same question.”

“Och, I fell asleep, one tae many drams.”

“C’mon, I’ll help you up to bed.”

“Och, I’m alricht, I jest haed the weirdest dream. I dreamt I wis dying and this lovely lady appeared tae me and said ye’d save me.”

“Too much water of life, I expect,” I said helping him stand.

“Aye mebbe, but it felt sae real, sae vivid and here ye are. Did ye save my life.”

“I dunno, I just realised you weren’t in bed and came to see where you were. Remember, Daddy, we’re a family and look after each other.”

“Aye, we dae.” He put his arm around me and hugged me and I had a great difficulty not bursting into tears. I loved him so much. As we slowly trudged up the stairs I silently thanked the Shekina for her help, both in waking me and giving me the tools to do the job. I left him getting ready for his bed and I suspect he was asleep quicker than I was. I heard his snoring as I fought to get to sleep again then I drifted off knowing all was well—for the moment at least.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
288 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cathy, What The 'H' Is Wrong With You?

littlerocksilver's picture

Cathy, you showed quite a bit of immaturity just now. I think it's time you took stock of things.

Portia

I See Nothing Wrong With

littlerocksilver's picture

Cathy wanting to take her work with her. The problem I have is the immature way she confronted Tom. If she wants to be a mature, respected academic, she needs to act like one.

Portia

Oops

littlerocksilver's picture

Double entry.

Portia

Things said in anger.

If everything that I said in anger happened, I would be a mass murderer. It's happened so much that most of the time that I don't even bother to get angry or utter those venomous epithets anymore, um mostly I think.

Cathy's anger

I don't think she is being unjustified in her anger. She has to satisfy herself too you know. She is only taking with her, if she leaves, the things she has brought to the table. Why should she leave those things behind if they think she is 'not suited'? That would be like a hair dresser who leaves her following with the shop she has been working at when she pushes on by choice or is pushed out by the shop she is working at.

Tom must drool when drunk, 'cuz he didn't mention he was wet

Cathy should ask those who aren't here what they think of reapplying .
Tom continues to take it personal, but Cathy's ire is directed towards the Uni.
He's never really let her off the hook.

Karen

Cathy

Maddy Bell's picture

Grow up!

Fast falling out with your selfish me me me behaviour.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I don't happen to agree

that Cathy's being selfish. If they (a committee) finds someone more qualified then she ought to take her work with her, since she will be continuing it. It is her's, and if the admins fail to recognize it who fault is that? The more qualified professor can then show how valuable his is, instead of building off someone elses work.

I don't know where Ang is going with this, but it could be a change in the focus for the story. As always, I'm enjoying it.

Guess i must be

selfish too then Wendy i totally agree with you , When something that you have put so much time and effort into is then used by someone else to perhaps further their career then surely that cannot be right , In my opinion Cathy would be right to take what she feels is hers, Tom might not like it but its something he may have to get used too ...

Kirri

2900 episodes! Thank you so

2900 episodes! Thank you so much Ang!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Shame on you Cathy

Acting like the spoiled children you so dislike in your classes.

".... if I can't have it my way I'm going to take my toys and go home."

What's wrong with being proud of your work?

Moreso, what's wrong with not allowing another to take credit for it, or benefit from it when they decide they're done with you?

Melanie E.

Why is it being selfish?

That's really the question. There's nothing wrong with taking your toys and going home if someone is being mean to you, because you're under no obligation to let them play with them to begin with.

Melanie E.

Angharad -- Major congratulations - 2900 episodes!!

I don't log in very often but continue to read every wonderful episode of your amazing saga!! Mille thank yous for your scribbles. Your handling of your characters human foibles is exquisite!!

You sometimes ask if you should continue - that's a decision that rests entirely with you - if you continue to write - I will continue to read with great enjoyment.

My wishes for your continued good health and enjoyment of your "retirement".

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

Congratulations on your super

Congratulations on your super major achievement of 2900 parts or chapters to "Bike". This is truly a record that I don't see anyone else ever coming close to in the near future. May we all start calling you the "Queen of the Written Word", and curtsy to you?
I understand Cathy's feelings and position regarding her having to re-apply for her own job that she is presently doing; however I do feel she is being a bit mean towards Tom her adopted father, simply because he was the bearer of the bad news. I get the feeling that he personally does not agree with the decision, yet she is appearing to hold him personally responsible for it.
I do hope that Tom having the little medical incident now, will cause Cathy to step back, take a deep breath, and simply THINK, and possibly count to ten before she speaks about all this again.

I am disappointed

Christina H's picture

I understand that Cathy feels aggrieved but she is above and better than petty spite she is a mature caring woman,

Tom is only going through the protocol that most employers have to undergo it's all in the employment law I really hope that
Cathy calms down.

Happy 2900 episode Angharad - I love every episode and admire your fortitude, imagination and diligence.

Christina

You Can Take Things With You

joannebarbarella's picture

And leave them behind too. This is the age of the computer and electronic records. I see nothing wrong with Cathy making sure that she has protected her work. I am sure she will not destroy all the valuable data that she has amassed over the years. That is her legacy.

What she will take with her is her experience, knowledge and her work ethic which cannot be replaced. That would be the University's loss and they would deserve it.

Congratulations, Angharad, on 2900 chapters. Here's to the next 2900.

Oh dear!

"Cathy, your seeing elementals and goddesses are merely manifestations of your own insecurity and uncertainty of the way ahead" The old bald man stroked his white goatee beard and then began cleaning his wire rimmed glasses.

Back in the real world, all I can say is; superb writing Angharad. 2900 chapters and I am as enthralled as I was after chapter one. Merely saying thank you seems so insufficient, so along with all your other readers, I send you my love.

Love to all

Anne G.

Doing a Cathy!

Rhona McCloud's picture

Cathy's behaviour does annoy especially when I find myself reacting in a totally Cathyesque way to what is a trivial slight from someone I love. After 2900 episodes practice you can nail those moments perfectly in the process reminding me to back off and count to at least that number.

Rhona McCloud

Ahhh -

So the Shekina returns - and aboot time too.

Losing a loved one to the grim reaper is never easy so Cathy's lucky she's got allies.
Still lovin' it an' thanks for the pleasures. Sorry if I'm not commenting every episode. R.L. and all that.

bev_1.jpg