Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 6 of 7

Printer-friendly version
Cynthia and the Dropped Ball, Chapter 6 of 7

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: Big things are happening at the Hotel, and Tommie is becoming a bit uneasy about things. Most of the special group that has been arriving since the day before is magic, and they seem to have an unusual interest in her. Cindy realizes she may have made a big mistake.

This story is another addition to The Cynthia Chronicles. Cynthia (Cindy) Brewer has graduated from medical school, and is well into her residency. The Wizard has difficulty remembering exactly where she is in her studies. Randi Lewis at age 18 is starting work on her Master of Science in Chemistry (read Randi and the Professor), and Charli Brewer will soon be a freshman in pre-med at UConn. Bobbie Anderson is setting the golf world on fire having now won tournaments on the PGA in addition to her many victories on the LPGA. This story takes place a year before Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling. If you are not familiar with the stories that make up the Cynthia Chronicles, you might want to go back to the beginning with An Incremental Journey. There are references to Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend and Charli and the Girl Cave. If you don’t remember what happened in those stories, you might want to go back and read them again. This story also takes place just a few months before Cynthia and the Queen of the Knight.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Cynthia and the Dropped Ball

 

Chapter 6

It wasn’t that unusual; however, it was nice when the hotel was filled to capacity. It was a rambling structure overlooking the bay that separated Fairhaven and New Bedford. The frame structure was nearly 100 years old and had been updated numerous times during that time. The DiMaggios were proud of their hotel and knew that the money three generations of DiMaggios had put into it would continue to pay off. Elaine was pretty sure she would continue in the family’s business after she graduated college. Tammie wasn’t that sure what she wanted to do; however, 12 years old might be a bit early for some to make a lifelong decision.

Elaine and Tommie were helping out at the front desk on Friday afternoon when the first of the weekend guests started arriving.

The very attractive redheaded woman and her equally handsome husband approached the desk. The lady was carrying a platinum gray cat.

“May I help you,” Tommie asked.

“Yes, we’re the Andersons and we’re here for the conference tomorrow and Sunday. We might need some help with our luggage. We’re also doing a demonstration and some instruction at the Acushnet River Valley Golf Course on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon.”

“Certainly, here you are in the computer,” Tommie said as she printed out the registration form for Mr. Anderson to sign.

“Eric, would you help the Andersons with their luggage.”

“Certainly,” Eric replied. He’d been staring at the young couple for several minutes.

“You’re in room 126 right down that hall,” Tommie said as she handed them their electronic room keys. “The vending machines are on your left just past the door to the pool. You’re the first of your party to arrive. Please enjoy your stay.”

“We will, Tommie. I know we will,” Mrs. Anderson said with a warm smile.

Eric followed the pair out to their state of the art hybrid SUV, and loaded the luggage cart with their two enormous golf bags, suitcases, and boxes.

“Eric, I believe you’re free tomorrow afternoon. I just happen to have two tickets to our charity golf event out at the Acushnet River Valley Golf Course. Why don’t you ask Elaine if she’d like to come with you? I’d bet that Andy and I can help you get rid of that nasty slice that keeps showing up at the most inopportune times.”

“Er, uh, thank you Ms. Anderson.”

“It’s okay to call me Bobbie, and Andy is just Andy. Be sure to come. I know you’ll have a great time. You’ll be breaking 80 before you know it

“Do you realize who they are?” Eric half whispered to Elaine when he returned with the empty cart.

“No, they’re just part of that group who will be here for the weekend.”

“That’s Bobbie Anderson, the greatest female golfer in the world, and she gave me two tickets to the golf clinic they’re putting on out at the Acushnet River Valley Golf Course. Would you like to come?”

“I’d love to, but I’ll have to ask Mom.”

“Kids, sit over there until your mother and I get us checked in. I promise we’ll go swimming as soon as we get settled.”

Elaine looked up to see two women approaching. Each was carrying an infant and there were six other children accompanied by a nanny and two cats heading for the sitting area.

“Hi, we’re the Fischer-Hamiltons. Hopefully you have the suite ready for us,” said the towering redhead.

“Yes, Ma’am, if one of you will sign here, we’ll have someone help with the luggage. You are in the Narragansett Cabin which is right down that hall, out and to the left. You may drive around to it. There is a reserved spot for you.”

“Rose, I’ll help Amy herd the children to the cabin. It will probably be easier if you took the Denali around without the rug rats. Fred and Linda want to meet Matilda and Henrietta. They can work that out among themselves. ”

Rosemary was glad to do it. What should have been a little over two hour drive quickly became three. Four 4 year-olds had to stop at the first rest stop before they even got to Providence. All four were very excited about going swimming. They swam like fish. Rosemary and Lisa had made sure of that. The middle two were almost out of diapers, and would be ready for their naps. The youngest two were getting antsy and would need a feeding before being put down for their naps.

Amy was from the Maine Coven. She’d been hired to help with the children and help out at the restaurant as soon as it opened which was hopefully going to be around the first of October. Lisa was going to teach her the ins and outs of being a fine chef. Lisa had given her notice to kitchen supply and design company she’d spent the last five years with. They would continue to have an outstanding relationship over the years, and Lisa was even considering having a weekly television show that her previous company would help sponsor. Of course she’d have to see first how the restaurant turned out.

After Amy got the children off to the pool, Lisa put the 2 two year old girls down for their nap. Then it was down to the business of feeding the newest additions.

“Do you regret one bit what you did, Rose?” Lisa asked.

“The only thing I regret was delaying my transformation as long as I did. I loved you so much, and when His Wisdom gave me that figurative kick in the ass, I knew I’d been foolish for waiting. I might have been just a bit afraid of the whole thing, but being able to give birth to the girls and to this little boy and being able to feed them at my breast like this is all it takes for me to know that this is what my soul wanted all along. We are so fortunate. I’m absolutely certain I did the right thing.

“I told Amy to wait until 3:00 before coming back. Do you think we have time?”

“I’m certain we do my sweet little Rosemary.”

***

“Yes, we’re the Matthews. We’re checking in for the weekend’s events. I believe Dr. Cynthia Brewer is running the show.”

“Yes, Mr. Matthews, your room is ready for you. The two cribs and the roll-away are in place. The Fischer-Hamiltons checked in a while ago and asked that you call them after four. They’re in the Narragansett Cottage. Your room is 124; next to the Andersons. Eric will help you with your luggage. The dining room hours are from 6:00 to 9:30. Please enjoy your stay.”

“We were certainly glad to see you are pet friendly.”

“That’s not a problem at all. Each of your rooms has box for the cats, and room service will clean and replenish the litter. Our owners’ daughters have two cats and they more or less have the run of the place. There’s never been a problem with them getting along with any of the visiting pets.

***

“And, where have you two been,” Elaine half jokingly asked as Henrietta and Matilda sashayed into her room. She and Tommie had been comparing notes about the unusual goings on that had been taking place since early that afternoon.

‘We’ve been visiting with our guests. We showed them where Henrietta killed the rat, and Fred showed us some neat tricks. Phantom showed us how to differentiate between birds that were fair game and those we should leave alone. Phantom also showed us how to open the pantry where the cat food is kept.

‘Dr. Brewer and her husband arrived a little while ago and we got to meet Queen Maddy. She is such a powerful cat. She’s going to teach Henrietta and me how to kill cockroaches.”

“What in the world are you going on about?” Tommie asked Matilda.

“What is she saying?” Elaine asked, half believing that Matilda could really talk.

“Every one of those groups of people who checked in this afternoon had at least one cat with them. Matilda just said that they’ve been meeting with them and learning some new tricks.

“Remember what I told you about Doctor Brewer, the lady I met at the hospital; the one who helped save Dad. She must have checked in a while ago. She brought her cat, too. I know Dr. Brewer is a witch. She admitted it to me. She asked me not to tell. But I had to tell you.

“I just realized it a few minutes ago. They’re all witches. This big meeting must be some sort of coven thing.”

“If what you’re saying is that having a cat makes the ladies at least witches, there is one family that isn’t. Two professors from MIT checked in while you were taking a break. They didn’t have any cats or other animals, just three kids. Their name is Mankowitz or something like that. They are definitely with the group.”

The next morning did nothing to change Tommie’s mind that something big was going on. Another family had checked in the evening before, and they were seated with Dr. Brewer and a man who had to be her husband.

A lot of happy noise was emanating from the dining room; however, none of it was understandable. Dr. Brewer waved at Tommie, motioning for her to come over to the table. As she approached she was suddenly able to understand the conversations going on.

“Tommie, I’d like you to meet my family; well, most of them, anyway. My oldest brother and his wife couldn’t make it, but you will meet them soon enough.

“Everyone, this is Tommie DiMaggio. I know we will be getting to know her more as time goes by. Now, to make this easier I’ll just go around the circle. This handsome fellow is my husband Don Brewer. The redheaded firebrand is my sister Martha. She likes Marti. Next to her is my brother, Stan Jr. That’s,” she said pointing to the stunning blonde, “my mother, Marissa, and the lucky guy next to her is my Father, Stan, Sr. Finally, next to me is my sister Christine Miranda. She goes by Randi to most everyone.

“There’s not time now, however, I know you’ve met many of the folks here. I’ve already talked to your mom and dad about this, and we’ve made room for you at the dinner this evening. We’d like you and your family to sit in with us. I know you’d originally planned to have your birthday party this weekend, and we’ve seemed to have intruded at a very special time. I guarantee we’ll make it up to you.”

“Thank you for the invitation. If Mom said it was okay, I’ll be glad to have dinner with you. I just wish I knew what was going on.”

Cindy watched Tommie walk away as a sinking feeling engulfed the pit of her stomach.

“Mom, I’ve really screwed up big time, haven’t I.”

“The ball’s in your court, Cindy,” her mother said.

===========================================

Maybe it’s the hormones, maybe it isn’t; however, Tommie suddenly realizes that this meeting of all the magic people and their friends might be about her. All the attention may be more than she’s prepared for. After all, what she’s been going through should be a private thing, and apparently, she’s been outed to the world. Cindy realizes at the same time that she really screwed up.

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Will be most interesting to

Will be most interesting to see what is in store for Tommie. Personally I believe it to be a complete 100% gender change so she can have children later in life, that would be so wonderful for her and her family members.

The Wizard

littlerocksilver's picture

... at least in this universe, seldom does things half way.

Portia