Anchored - Part 7 "Armed & Dangerous"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Seven

 

"Armed & Dangerous"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Saturday 5th September 2015 (continued)
 

It gradually became clear what had happened at the main gates to the McPherson estate. A stolen car was travelling at speed towards Thurso, pursued by a police vehicle. When it tried to turn into the access to the estate, the stolen car had lost control and broadsided the gates.

As it stood, until that car was removed the access was blocked. Given that the driver of the stolen car was a male aged under twenty, the hunt for Yvonne Stewart was still alive.

DS Ben Franklin had arrived immediately after the male had tried to run away so had helped in his capture before making his way via Dunbankin' to interview Cathy. The access between the two properties wasn't public knowledge but Ben was familiar with it.

Away from Thurso the hunt for Yvonne was apparently receiving every resource needed; she was currently the most wanted person in the British Isles. It was assumed she was armed and dangerous, given previous access to weapons, so every firearms qualified police officer in North East Scotland was heading for Inverness.

The car Yvonne had been driving, when she was seen in Wick, had been found dumped just outside Inverness and was now being examined, but there was no guarantee that she had gone to Inverness in it.

Tammy had realised that her nemesis could be anywhere, and she wasn't the only one. A police helicopter landed at the front of the house and a passenger made his way to the door as the chopper lifted.

"Hello Tammy."

"Hi Kevin, I'm surprised to see you up here." She turned to the girls.

"Everyone, this is Detective Inspector Kevin Edmunds from the Counter Terrorist Unit in London. I'm really not sure why he's here."

"I'm here to make sure nothing's been missed and to ensure Yvonne Stewart returns to custody, in England. I also have a present for Tammy that couldn't go in the mail, could you join me in the study?"

Tammy followed Kevin and closed the door behind her.

"We're concerned for your safety, Tammy."

"I wasn't the target this time."

"Perhaps not, but if Yvonne knows you're advising Cathy then you'll become a target."

"So give me protection."

"We can't spare the resources, but we have exceptionally agreed to issue you with this." He opened his briefcase and removed two boxes.

"A gun?"

"Yes."

"I don't want it."

"You're qualified."

"That's irrelevant, Kevin, I was told I was given the training so I could assist with logistics, not go running around the Highlands tooled-up."

"No-one's suggesting you go running anywhere, but you should be able to protect yourself and your friends if she came here." He took a sheet out of his case. "Sign here."

Tammy signed, reluctantly, feeling pressured to do so. The weapon was a Glock-26, the same model she'd qualified with, although the weapons in the safe at Caithness Marine were the larger Glock-17. There were two empty magazines so she filled both from a box of 9mm ammunition before inserting one. She dropped it into her bag.

"I'm still not happy."

"I know and I hope you never need to use it, the paperwork is horrendous!"

"When can I return it?"

"When this is over, if you wish. It's from the New Scotland Yard firearms unit so you'll have to return it there."

"I think I'll leave it in the safe at the office with the others. Is Hilary armed?"

"Yes."

"I guess no-one can know?"

"No, plainly. Where is your licence?"

"They're both in the office safe."

"Both? Oh, right."

"This was issued to me and not Beccy?"

"Yes. You'll need to carry your licence, you should get it as soon as possible."

"Not tonight?"

"In the morning, unless there's an incident. I have one other thing for you." He pulled a velum envelope from his case, she carefully removed the sheet within.

"What is this?"

"It's a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' letter, it confers just enough powers that you won't be prosecuted for discharging the weapon but it does not give you the right to kill."

"Oh." She read it carefully. "Whose idea was this?"

"Emily arranged it."

"Does Heather have one?"

"Yes, but I didn't tell you. Put that in your bag and keep it safe, there's a duplicate in London just in case."

"It's a good job I don't have any of my small bags with me."

"So it would seem, are you staying here tonight?"

"Yes."

"Okay, I'll brief the estate workers, we want her alive."

"Understood."

"I hope so."

Tammy decided a wee and a freshen up were needed before she rejoined the girls, they were now in the sitting room and Jeri had her guitar out. Ben had gone so she assumed Cathy's statement had been finished.

Jeri started to strum the intro that Tammy couldn't identify and was a little surprised to hear Di launch into the Diana Ross song 'Baby It's Me'. Di's singing voice was deep and very soulful, something Tammy hadn't expected.

Jeri was having fun and had obviously agreed a set list with Di when she switched to a Strat that had been brought inside along with a small amplifier. She started to play 'The House Of The Rising Sun'. Tammy was a little concerned that Jeri had been outside.

"One of the estate workers went with me, he had a shotgun with him."

"Okay, please don't go outside without anyone as we really don't know where Yvonne is."

Julie sneered, "listen to her, she's definitely a spook. How did she know that guy from London?"

"I met Kevin for the first time just after last Christmas and again at George Small's Fatal Accident Inquiry. Since last year I have met several dozen police officers, that kind of thing happens when people are out to kidnap or murder you."

"So what was your private conversation with him?"

"Private."

"And?"

"No, Julie, it was private. I'll only pass it on if it's relevant but right now it isn't."

"So now you decide what we can or can't know?"

"No, I was told some things in confidence, I don't break confidences."

Di told Julie to shut up or they would call a cab for her, using language that was a little too Anglo-Saxon for Tammy's ears.

"I'll drive."

"No you won't, you can collect it tomorrow when you've sobered up."

Cathy went to find Thomas, deciding that Julie was ruining the evening. The groundsmen would have to allow the cab in so that meant opening at least one of the gates. Tammy had thought Kevin had left but was startled when he came into the sitting room, then gestured for Tammy to follow him back to the study.

"What's going on?"

"Julie's being a bitch, we're sending her home."

"She was your housekeeper?"

"Yes, she left when her sister was arrested."

"It seems Leanne has been in contact with Yvonne, Leanne's been arrested in Inverness this evening."

"What was she doing?"

"Providing information, it means we have the phone number Yvonne's using."

"Where is she?"

"The phone's off, it was last used in Dunbeath about an hour ago."

"That's half an hour out of Thurso and Wick, she could have gone either way."

"True Tammy, but what do you think she might do?"

"Well, she hates me and blames me for George's death as well as losing the job at St Andrews school. I'd hazard a guess that I'm her target."

"Fair assumption, but I'd suggest all the McPhersons are at risk."

"Michael!"

"The son? Where does he live?"

"He's living with his boyfriend, Mark. I don't have the address, but Cathy would, as well as Thomas. Given that Yvonne is a class one bigot, she wouldn't approve of Michael's lifestyle."

Kevin went in search of the butler then called Caithness Special Branch with the information. Tammy got the impression they weren't happy having a senior London copper in the Highlands.

"We'll have Michael and his boyfriend brought here, is that going to cause a problem?"

"Not at all, Michael still has a room here."

"Good, who else?"

"Elsie is somewhere in South East Asia, my parents are next door, oh, I don't know where my mother is."

"Tara?"

"Yes, she goes by Tara Simpson these days."

"She's in London, I checked."

"Fine, the only other person would be Angela and she's next door."

"Can you check?"

Tammy called Dunbankin' as Kevin nipped out of the room and spoke to Joan, Angela was in town with Yusuf apparently.

"What are they doing?"

"They were going out for a meal. What's going on?"

Tammy explained the situation, while she tried to call Angela on her mobile, but the phone was off.

"Which restaurant did they go to?"

"The new one in the middle of town."

"What's it called?"

"No idea."

Kevin was back in the study and was not happy; Yvonne could target any of them, her behaviour was quite worrisome, a definite understatement.

"Find a number for that restaurant, where is it?"

"On Princes St."

Tammy decided that finding an unnamed business was not as easy as it could be. When she did finally establish it was Bistro 2, she'd missed them by just a few minutes.

"Damn."

"Where do they drink?"

"Angela rarely drinks and I'm not sure if Yusuf drinks at all, they could just go for a walk."

"That doesn't help at all."

"Sorry, Kevin, but we're short of information."

"Okay, if you were to have an after dinner walk in the middle of Thurso, where might you go?"

"The harbour."

"Okay, where's your car?"

"In the paddock, at home."

"You and I should go and find them."

"I don't like that idea, that makes me vulnerable, why don't you go for them>?"

"Angela probably won't recognise me and Yusuf is a complete unknown."

Tammy's phone rang, it was Angela.

"Where are you?"

"In the Castletown, I've seen Yvonne."

"Where?"

"By Sarah's shop."

"Stay put, was she on her own?"

"No, I thought I saw Leanne there."

Kevin was now making his own call.

"Where are you Tammy?"

"At Elsie's, I have Kevin Edmunds here, we'll try to get some transport for you."

"I'm frightened."

"What's Yusuf doing?"

"He's gone, I'm on my own now." Angela sounded quite tearful.

"What happened?"

"His family found about about me and threatened to disown him so we had our meal and then he dumped me."

Tammy could hear sirens, the sound was coming from the phone so Yvonne was now being sought in town. Unfortunately, she knew the town well and Leanne knew the families well; it was a dangerous combination indeed.

Angela was vulnerable, physically and emotionally.

"Please come and get me Tammy."

I'll see if one of the staff can collect you."

"No, you, please sis."

"What if Dad comes down?"

"Okay."

Tammy picked up the house phone and asked for Angela to be collected, explaining the issues. Richard wasn't keen leaving Joan on her own, but having Angela loose was the greater problem.

"Okay Angela, Dad's on his way and will be with you in ten minutes or so."

Kevin now confirmed that the local police had Mark and Michael. Things were getting sorted. Tammy went back to the girls, Julie was now missing.

"Sorry, things have been a bit mad. Angela's been dumped by her boyfriend."

The collective agreed that was a bad thing, although Di was unaware of Angela's special status. Tammy was going to mention Leanne's involvement but thought better of it and kept that to herself. They talked for ten minutes until the boys arrived from town. Michael and Mark were invited to join them but decided to go up to Michael's room instead.

It was another twenty five minutes before Angela confirmed she was at home. The police, meanwhile, had lost their quarry. Once the boys had arrived the gates were again secured so Tammy started to relax.

Tammy had left her present for Jeri in her room at Dunbankin' so told the girls she'd be busy for a few minutes, although she hadn't said where she was going. Kevin travelled over to the house with her so he could use the secure fax. Tammy left the gate open between the McPherson estate and the paddock for expediency, promising to Kevin that she really would only be two minutes. The main gate at the front of Dunbankin' was secured and the security system was active so Tammy felt it was an acceptable risk.

Kevin was going to be some time so Tammy rode back on her own. She was a little concerned when the girls weren't in the sitting room, in fact the house was too quiet. She left the present on a chair then went looking.

She heard footsteps so stepped into the butler's room, through the closed door she could hear Leanne saying that Tammy was nowhere to be found and she was going to check the outside.

Once the coast was clear she eased out of the small room but activated the emergency alarm on her phone, which would notify the Security Service in London that she was in danger, the second time she'd done so.

Almost immediately she found Michael and Mark, plainly they hadn't been captured, she followed them to the scullery, worryingly she could see in the moonlight that two of the shotguns were missing from the rack.

"How did you avoid being caught? I guess that's what's happened?"

"We heard shouting so we hid in my wardrobe, what about you?"

"I had to go home. Leanne's here, she's gone outside. I'm guessing Yvonne's also here."

"I thought I heard her."

"We need to get Leanne out of the game, can the pair of you handle that?"

"Sure."

They suddenly heard footsteps and the outside door opened, Mark got behind the former maid and clamped his hand over her mouth, dragging her back out of the still open door. Michael grabbed a sheet to fashion a gag before following Mark outside.

Nothing else was moving, where was Kevin? Back in the main hallway Tammy was on her own, she eased the door to the games room open and started down the stairs. She could hear Yvonne asking why Leanne was taking her time and it sounded like Tammy was about to be discovered. She backed out and hid just before a woman appeared in the hallway, this was Fiona. Tammy stayed where she was whilst Fiona spent a minute or so looking for Leanne. The door to the stairs remained open and Yvonne could be heard demanding her hostages to say where Tammy was.

As Fiona returned to the doorway down to the games room, Tammy crept out of her hiding place and gave the woman a shove at the back of her knees; She went tumbling, making a racket as she did.

That got Yvonne's attention, unfortunately Fiona was in too much pain to say whether she'd tripped, the suggestion was that she'd broken a leg in the fall and was demanding an ambulance.

"An ambulance? Don't be a stupid cow!"

Tammy crept down the stairs, she could see Thomas, sat and bound, and he could see her. Fiona's attention was not on the hostages, but she had a shotgun slung over an arm. Tammy removed her firearm from her bag, dropping the bag behind her.

Thomas saw the weapon and nodded, his gag preventing anything else. Yvonne must have seen movement behind her and swung around, leaving Fiona - who whined louder.

Yvonne must have seen where Thomas' eyes were focussed so turned to look directly at Tammy, raising the shotgun. Tammy aimed her own weapon.

The noise was sudden and deafening, Yvonne went down heavily.

Tammy's pistol was removed from her hand by someone behind her, she found Kevin and several uniformed officers. He was also holding his own weapon and gestured for Tammy to withdraw. Orders were issued for the local police to call for an ambulance.

Tammy was shaking.

"You did good, but you shouldn't have gone down there."

"It was just her and me, Kevin. I didn't shoot her, did I?"

"No, I suspect you would have hesitated so I took the shot."

"I was out of my depth."

"Perhaps, but we'll see when you write up your report."

"Tonight?"

"Make notes but we'll deal with the paperwork tomorrow. There's more than enough to hold all three, even if two of them will be secured in hospital for a few days."

"Will Yvonne live?"

"Yes, I hit her shoulder, the intention was to incapacitate her."

"Shame."

"I hope that was an attempt at humour."

"Perhaps, Kevin, perhaps. Did you get an alarm?"

"Hilary was notified, she called me. The boys called for help once they had Leanne trussed up but the main gate is still blocked."

"How did Yvonne get in?"

"To be determined."

The hostages were being released and were allowed to return to the sitting room, plainly shaken by the experience. Tammy's bag was returned to her and Kevin dropped the weapon into her bag before it was seen.

Of the staff, only Thomas was present, it appeared that the estate staff were in the lodge near the main gates and were unaware of the incident. Thomas went to organise tea for everyone.

"That bloody woman!"

"She can't get out of this, Cathy."

"Given her history, I won't take anything for granted. Who shot her?"

"DI Edmunds."

"Okay, where were you whilst all this was going on?"

"Dealing with things."

Lori and Jeri were the next ones up, both badly shaken.

"Well, that's a birthday to remember."

"My present is over there." Tammy pointed.

"It doesn't seem so important now."

"Open it in the morning then."

"Maybe."

Di was the last of the hostages, she said she'd been trying to chat up one of the officers.

It wasn't long before the tea arrived, there was a bottle of brandy on the tray. Ever the professional, Thomas had resumed his duties as if nothing untoward had happened.

Sirens approached and an ambulance pulled up, although the two injured women were removed by helicopter directly to the Raigmore in Inverness.

Tammy's phone, which was on silent, showed several missed calls. She called the London number first.

"Hello, this is Tamara Smart, it's all under control now."

"When will your report be ready?"

"Tomorrow."

"I'll close the incident unless there's anything else?"

"No, nothing else, thank you."

Next was her father.

"We're fine Dad."

"The Police won't let me come over. Did you know Kevin was armed?"

"Yes, and it was probably best you didn't make yourself a victim."

"Says the nineteen year old!"

"Anyway, the only injuries were Yvonne and Fiona, one gunshot wound and one broken leg."

"When are you coming back here?"

"In the morning, it's still a sleepover if the girls are up for it?"

"It's a good job Joan can't hear that!"

"Yeah, good night Dad."

up
434 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

INTERESTING

Hmmmm lots going on andnever a quiet time for Tammy, I feel sorry for Angela getting dumped like that, and very strange with Yvonne, Fiona and Leanne all there and after Tammy I wonder why ? I would have thought that they would have done their best to leave the country.
And even stranger how they got into the grounds and house like that, makes me wonder if Julie put on the bitch act on purpose? Trying to help her little sister and poss made entrance easier into the house esp so they could access the shotguns although Leanne did work at both houses so she poss knew a way in ?
Matt

way cool!!!

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*smacks kudo button hard* GO TAMMY! too bad she didn't pull the trigger. the yvonne problem would definitely be solved then! Special thanks to CO19 for the training for our girl Tammy! Oh, for those that don't know, CO19 is the unit formerly known as D11 and are in charge of training police in the use of Firearms. They are also a SRT(Special Response Team). Or so I've heard......*looks up at the ceiling whistling*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Aye what?

With the shooting and violence, this was almost like an American story for a bit. :)

Gwen

Had my heart rate up!

Podracer's picture

We knew the witch was coming for someone, but who and where? As to why they didn't just clear orf, well Stewart had a mad on, and wasn't exactly thinking sensible thoughts.

"Reach for the sun."

Great Posting

How did Leanne join back up with Yvonne? She had been arrested that evening for aiding a terrorist fugitive. Sounds like more than a book and release offense to me.

Great action. There's plenty of questions to be followed up on regarding how it all went down

A minor niggle.

Leeann was arrested earlier and yet she was at the house?

Tammy needs to be trained more with the gun, but it is possible she will never be able to use it for real. As for shooting to disable, I don't think an officer would do that, You aim for the snipers triangleand shoot to kill if you have to shoot.

Enjoyed the story. Please keep em coming.

Shoot to kill?

It is very difficult when under the stress of a shooting situation to aim well enough to intentionally just hit the shoulder. That's why you aim for the center of mass and hope you at least hit your target.

Thank you Shiraz,

What a great story !! Tammy will find that there is no sense in carrying a weapon unless you are prepared to use it and if she is to continue her work then she will have to come to terms with this. Kevin realized Tammy was hesitating and did the right thing by taking the shot-----she who hesitates is lost ,it was once said. Thankfully,Yvonne is no longer running around the wilds of Thurso .

ALISON

Tammy freezing up before she

Tammy freezing up before she could shoot is nothing new for a new shooter who has never been involved in a potential shooting incident.
All the training in the world will not get you over that hurdle mentally. This can happen to police officers as well as any other person.
It does take time and much, much, more evolved practice than what a person receives on the firing range, which is simply to train you to the gun you are using. A lot of the training today is done by video scenarios set up as "shoot or don't shoot" where you can actually discharge your firearm when needed or required. Very glad Yvonne, Fiona, Leanne were caught. I also believe that Julie should be investigated fully, because I am of the opinion that she is up to it to her eyeballs as well.

Yvonne captured

good. maybe they can hold on to her this time!

DogSig.png

exhausted!

wow, I am out of breath and exhausted after redaing this exciting episode. Good job Kevin was there to do the job

Clean knickers

Jamie Lee's picture

A birthday to remember, questions as to how the three got to and into the house, and how they knew to go to the McPherson house need answered.

Thanks to Kevin, Tammy lives another day. The girl better get over not wanting to use a handgun or her family will be attending her funeral.

Others have feelings too.

Back entrance

In a previous episode, there was a need to escape the properties while the press pack were camped outside, and they used a little-known back or side entrance to the estate - so that's likely how Yvonne and Co entered, courtesy of Leanne's insider knowledge. Hopefully this time, Yvonne will be locked up in a separate jail to her namesake, while Fiona and Leanne will also be charged as accessories (at the very least - further evidence may result in higher charges and a stiffer sentence).


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!