Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2930

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2930
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

I made myself a cuppa ignoring the glances of David and Amanda and the blushes and giggles when I did look at them. What they do in their own time is their business but I resent the fact they might be bonking on my time. I’d let it pass this time but next time would say something.

I read up on Gevurah or Geburah or whatever it’s called, it’s definitely Kabbalah and is something to do with the administration of judgement and justice. Not quite sure what context that had for dealing with Debbie other than as a warning, which she understood—more than I did.

The angel has appeared before, sometimes at my bidding to make a point, sometimes because it was in context with what I was doing—usually healing; though they’re not always associated with sweetness and light—tell that to Pharaoh’s first born a la plagues. Okay, it’s mythology but we angels will respond appropriately to threats or attacks—I think, or is that me, the human, speaking? I glanced at the time and checked a number in my address book.

“Cathy, what a pleasant surprise.”

“Hello, Marguerite, I need some information or advice on matters spiritual.”

“You’re asking me?”

“Yeah, wanted the biochemical version.” She laughed at my remembering her previous occupation.

“So the mountain has come to Mohammed?”

“Explain, please unless it’s to do with my putting on a few pounds or you converting to Islam.”

She laughed again, “Cathy, you have far more contact with the divine than I do, it’s my job but it’s your very being.”

I cleared my throat as I was uncomfortable with that concept. She laughed again, “You don’t like to admit that your ability to heal and to help others is a gift from God, do you?”

“In a word no, it isn’t congruent with my map of the universe.”

“Maps can be redrawn, Cathy.”

“Yeah, I get invites from Ordnance Survey to buy the latest ones, quite regularly.”

“You know perfectly well what I mean.”

“Perhaps.”

“What did you want to talk about?”

I explained the experience of the dream and Diane’s phone call and asked her what she made of it.

“Seeing you as an angel isn’t difficult and that might be my bias as we all interpret reality slightly differently. While I wouldn’t encourage anyone to get involved in alternate beliefs, especially occult ones, most wiccans I’ve met were good enough souls who like to feel an attachment to this planet. I feel it would hold me back to think that way as we are on this earth not of it in a spiritual sense.”

“What about returning to dust and Adam being made from dirt?”

“That’s a metaphor, Cathy, in my universe, we are souls who interpret material bodies to exist here and to learn lessons about the physical world that might not be possible in the spiritual realms.”

“Okay, that works for you but I feel is a cop out, however, was Debbie threatening me or was I or the goddess threatening her?”

“I suspect she might have been trying to assert herself in a way that she felt you didn’t outrank her, possibly it was all unconscious stuff, however, she had a surprise realising you outranked her there too and your goddess was prepared to offer you her protection and sent Debbie away with a flea in her ear. That’s my best guess. If she has any sense she’ll not try it again.”

“Could it all have happened in my imagination?”

“How did that involve someone else not closely related to you?”

“I have no idea, perhaps my ego is so big she walked into it, she has the use of my old office as I’ve got Tom’s now.”

“Wasn’t he your professor as well as your dad?”

“Yes.”

“So if you have his office—you’re a professor—oh well done, especially at your young age.”

“I’m only acting professor, he’s acting Vice Chancellor.”

“But even so, it’s quite an accolade at your age.”

“Nah, they just wanted to keep the mammal survey here because of the prestige of it and the income it generates.”

“And this is your project, isn’t it?”

“Essentially, yes. Where I go, so does it.”

“I’m sure it’s much broader than that, after all you’re a noted academic as seen on TV,” she chuckled at me.

“That sometimes leads to professional jealousy rather than respect.”

“Sadly, I can appreciate that though I see no grounds for it unless they’re jealous of your looks, knowledge and skill in sharing it to make it interesting to others. My husband, who has as much interest in dormice as I do in model trains, found you totally captivating.”

I was blushing as I listened to her. “Perhaps you need to tell him about my ability to transform into a psychopathic angel?”

“Back to your usual self effacement, sadly.”

“I’m not comfortable with any of this stuff, the religion or the undeserved compliments.”

“Isn’t it the duty of others to determine how they feel about some experience they’ve had rather than yours to write it off because you didn’t feel it was too demanding. I have both your films on DVD and have watched them several times, including enough to notice you wrote and directed the film as well as presented them. To my mind, that constitutes a high level of skill.”

“It was a way of saving money—honest.”

“Cathy, you are a serial self-effacer, stop it and listen to your elder for a moment. You have incredible gifts and talents which I believe are divinely inspired because only God could give them to you. Your healing gift is second only to Jesus, himself and he was God incarnate. You are a very special woman, barely a day goes by without me giving thanks for your healing on my daughter’s face, please accept your special place in this world and the job you’ve been sent here to do.”

Oh not that old chestnut, not going down that road again.

“I have to go, Marguerite, it’s been lovely talking to you.” Before she could say anything else I rang off. No matter how hard I try, I can’t go along with being God’s special agent, it sounds like something out of the X-Files or the Spanish Inquisition. If I’m special, then we all are because we’re all human and it’s out humanity that makes us special as well as unique. It doesn’t need Gods or goddesses for that to happen, just compassion and love for others. I also recognise I’m as flawed as anyone else, so unworthy of being special, as a daughter of Cain.

My cup was empty and as I rose to refill it I noticed David drive off in the minibus thing, presumably to collect my children. I hurried to make my tea, my peace and quiet wouldn’t last much longer so I’d enjoy it, and its facilitation of deep thought, while I could.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
304 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What would Cathy say if one

jennifer breanna's picture

What would Cathy say if one of her children were as down on themselves as she is.

Frustrating

Apostasy's picture

At this point I have to admit that Cathy's continued denial of the supernatural that is explicitly happening to/around her on a constant basis beggars belief. Especially given how she constantly claims she wishes she could see Billy more, yet every time she does see Billy, she immediately writes it off as wishful thinking/hallucination/etc. And then goes right back to wondering why everyone else can see her but she can't!

Her denial of all these things pushes her way past her claimed agnosticism right into fanatically fundamental atheism, in my opinion.

No special intelligence then?

How about the Universal pin ball machine orders the fates and Cathy's number keeps coming up? There is that realm of probability that will after eons yield an extremely repetitive result. See, no God there ... Um except what made the pin ball machine?

Gwen

Part of the God Squad.

Part of the God Squad. 'Taking away your name and giving you a number.' God's Secret Agent Woman.
I know you are of an age to remember this Patric M classic.

Karen

Well -

I can go along with the last but one paragraph. It's not possible to be 'god's agent' when there is no god.

bev_1.jpg

Small 'G' ?

Small 'G' ?

Cathy once again

seems to be full of self doubt in not wanting to accept what all her friends can see so clearly, One day she might start to realise that her gifts have been given to her for a reason , But until that day occurs she will always be seeking the help and advice of the likes of Stephanie and given the subject matter Marguerite.

Perhaps this time she will have listened ...

Did anyone see a pink elephant fly by ?

Kirri

Life is strange enough…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… without populating our universe with gods. I'm with Cathy in believing that accepting the existence of gods creates more problems than it solves.

Self-effacement is a defense mechanism adopted by many youngsters accused of showing off or getting too big for their boots - not an easy habit to change.

Rhona McCloud

Which God?

Christina H's picture

Not being a believer I wonder which god are we talking about as in this world there are many different gods - so which one is the "real" god?
or are we talking about an intangible being.
While on this subject this proves that there is no such thing as heaven because if you are a member of another religion then you are by default a non believer of the rest of the religions so as a none believer you go to hell - which by now must be pretty crowded as everyone ends up there!

Just thinking outlaid - great thought provoking episode Ang.

Christina

........

Finally caught up, I found this story by complete accident trying to find ebooks online, the title got my attention and not knowing any of the subject matter of the site I read on. I have always had an open mind and had friends in transition. Not knowing what they were going through or how to help or even if I could. This gives a small amount of perspective in an amazing story that I will continue to read until long after its end.