Discovery, Chapter 12 of 15

Printer-friendly version
Discovery, Chapter 12 of 15

By Portia Bennett

Introduction: What is discovery? Perhaps it’s finding something that you didn’t know existed. Maybe it’s finding a hidden treasure. Maybe it’s finding out something about yourself that many were aware of but you just didn’t know it.

Fortunately, Steve’s injury is not too severe. The group is snowed in for a couple of days. Steve’s friend, Gary Smith reveals to Mannie he is aware of what she’s been through. He also confirms Steve is very much in love with her. It’s not a problem. It’s time to get Mannie’s mother.


 

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Discovery

 

Chapter 12

Mannie awakened with the brief thought of where in the hell was she, and who was this person who was cuddled up against her back with his arm draped around her chest. Not only that, whoever it was, was cradling her breast in his hand. Even through her bra it felt rather nice. Things came into focus rather quickly. Her watch said it was 10:30. She assumed it was AM. She could hear some noise from the front of the house. She could also hear the wind howling. She’d find out soon enough what the storm had been doing.

“Stevie, you okay?”

“Huh, yeah, I guess so. My hip feels like I got hit by a truck.” That was when he realized his hand was holding her breast. “Shit, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do that.”

Mannie grabbed his hand, holding it to her. “You may keep it there as long as you like. We’ll have to try it later when there’s not quite as much in the way.

“I gotta pee, and I imagine you do too. Let me go first, then I’ll help you up. I heard a crowd up front. I imagine you’re hungry and I smell bacon and coffee. The doc left some antibiotics and pain killers,” she said seeing the bottles on the bedside table, “and you probably need to take both.

Mannie returned and helped Steve get up. Straightening up was a bit difficult. He was wearing a pair of shorts Bob had found for him, and a clean shirt and Levis were on the dresser. The whereabouts of his other clothes wasn’t at the moment known. He hobbled into the bathroom and was able to take care of things without a problem.

“That’s a new toothbrush. You might want to use it. I’ll have something for you when you come out.”

When he returned she had him sit on the edge of the bed while she helped him dress. His belt line came to just below the wound site that at the moment was sealed up tightly. “I might have to wear suspenders for a while. My hip bone is very sore.”

Mannie helped him stand once more, then proceeded to put a very passionate lip lock on him. He was startled at first, but quickly responded in more ways than one.”

“Does that thing always do that,” Mannie asked.

“For you it does.”

“Please be patient with me. You’re the first man I’ve ever kissed like that.”

“I have no complaints. You did very well.”

The noise of the blizzard had been a constant background, and when they entered the dining area the area in front of the house was visible. At least some of it was. It was still snowing and the conditions were basically a white out. It was difficult to discern where the ground began and the windblown snow ended. Mannie could make out the truck the four had arrived in early that morning. She was pretty sure it wasn’t Stevie’s truck. The snow had drifted to the roof line on the north side. She could make out the electric cord going to the grill.

“Bob and I are going back to our house in a little while,” Maria said as she put a plate piled high with bacon and scrambled eggs on the table. “We have to make sure the children don’t get into too much trouble. If you need something call us on the phone. We stretched a rope between the houses to follow if need be. This storm is supposed to be going for another eight to ten hours and there’s absolutely no reason to be out in this stuff.

“There are several televisions and entertainment devices located throughout the house. Mannie can show you where they are and how to operate them.

“As far as recreation goes, you two,” she said looking at Mannie and Steve, “need to keep your relationship purely platonic for a while. You had a close call and we don’t want any of those stitches the doctor and I put in you pulling loose. It’s okay to take a shower as long as that patch stays sealed

“We have plenty of food. We could feed an army for a month if need be. Mannie’s uncle kept the larder well stocked. From the looks of things we’re going to be stuck back here for several days. When it’s time, Bob will plow the road. Call us if you need anything.”

“Is there anything Maria can’t do?” Steve asked. “Last night she did as much work as the doctor did. I wasn’t sure who the doctor was. She numbed me up before the doctor went to work and she did the final stitching. The doctor did some things inside, but I wasn’t watching that closely.”

“She’s an RN and then went back to school and got her Bachelor and Master’s degrees in Clinical Psychology; the whole time raising six kids. She is dedicated to helping her people.” I think she saved my life, too was a silent addendum.

“Before I go any further, I don’t really know any of you guys. I know your name is Gary Smith,” she said pointing to a dark haired fellow who was an inch or two shorter than Steve. “However, that’s it.”

“Okay,” Steve said pointing to the other two, “the fellow with the mop of straight hair is Rick Hall, and the short body builder is Gene Anderson.

“We met on the ship, but it turned out we were all land lubbers. So we thought we could do better trying to call the people’s attention to what the new gas and oil recovery techniques were doing to the environment. We’re trying to get more people interested in renewable energy; in particular, solar energy. Wind is good in that it is available in the good locations 24/7. It’s bad because it’s death on birds. There’s no genetic learning curve. They’re either killed or not killed. There’s no learning curve, period. They’re working on some avoidance ideas, but nothing seems to be working yet.

“There’s too much wind today, and any wind farms around here are shut down. Solar panels would still work unless they were covered in snow. It’s not an absolute, but we have to get them to reduce the use of oil and gas.

“Hell, this is not the right time to be talking about this. Pass the eggs, please.”

Steve found he was getting a bit tired, although the second pain killer might have contributed to it. He found a recliner in the den and was soon sound asleep. Gary helped Mannie with the dishes.

“You have no idea what finding you has done for Stevie,” Gary said as they loaded the dishwasher. “He used to talk a lot about his college friend, and the good times they had. I often wondered why he did what he did when he left college. If he had this girl he was so fond of, why didn’t he marry her? He and I were bunk mates.

“He dropped his wallet one day and a picture fell out. I asked him who it was. He said it was his friend from college. I looked at it and I saw a college age woman. I looked again, and it was a picture of a rather androgynous young man. I was a bit embarrassed. I said the way you talked I thought your friend was a woman. Well, he is, he replied. It’s just that he doesn’t know it.

“Steve is not gay. I am and he knows it. We are friends, good friends. He’d told me about your going off the deep end and buying that motorcycle. That afternoon after he found you, he came back to the motel. I knew right away something very important had happened.”

“What happened,” I asked. “I can tell something very big has happened.”

“She’s here,” he said

“Who’s here?” I asked.

“My college roommate, Mannie,” Stevie replied. “Only she’s Emmanuelle now and she’s positively beautiful. I knew it was her the second I saw her. We had a long talk. There’s been some really bad shit going on. Her uncle was murdered. Some frack water haulers did it. They just don’t know who.”

“I didn’t have to read between the lines, Mannie. I have several friends who have done what you’ve done. Unfortunately, they can’t come close to your beauty. Fortunately, they are very happy. That’s the most important thing. Steve is a lucky man and you’re a lucky woman. They don’t come much finer than he is. I hope I can be best man at your wedding.

“One other thing, I would never have known had I not seen the picture.”

“Do the others know?” Mannie asked.

“No, they don’t have a clue and never will unless you tell them. If they did find out, you wouldn’t have to worry about a thing. I wouldn’t worry about it.

“That sheriff is all gaga over you. We saw that last night. Boy was he pissed when Stevie asked you to dance. Everyone in the place knew you were in love with each other. In a way, I can understand why he wanted to arrest us; however, we’ve never destroyed or vandalized any property. We just get in the way of things.”

The storm started to blow itself out later in the afternoon. The drifts were six to eight feet deep in places and they could hear some equipment being powered up. Bob Williams had the snow track up and running and was checking on the cows they hadn’t been able to round up earlier. The buffalo couldn’t care less.

Bob cleared the road two days later, and Gary, Rick and Gene headed back to the motel in their truck. Steve and Mannie rode with them to get Steve’s truck. There was no question that Steve was moving in with Mannie. There was another reason for the trip, as well. Allison was arriving from San Antonio, and they would continue on to the Minot International Airport a little over an hour away. They were running on a pretty tight schedule as a new storm was scheduled to show up that night. Mannie had mentioned to her mother that she had met someone, and that it was pretty serious. Allison thought it was a bit fast; however, she was pleased that her daughter was at least ‘out there’. She had entertained thoughts about grandchildren and hoped that someday Mannie would find someone. Male or female, it didn’t really matter. Her daughter’s happiness was most important.

Mannie parked in the short term parking and left the engine running. It was right at zero when they’d pulled into the lot. “The flight is supposed to be on time. I’ll meet Mom at baggage claim.”

“You did tell her about me, didn’t you?”

“I told her there was someone. I think she will be very pleased. She was very fond of you.” She gave Steve a quick kiss. Steve watched her as she swiftly walked between the cars. There was a spring in her step that the old Manny never had. Her beautiful hair, partially held down by a white wool cap, moved gently with the slight breeze. She was on top of the world, and he was right there with her.

================================

Of course Mannie and Steve’s relationship will take the next step. There is, however, this problem with who killed her uncle and who shot Steve.

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One of the first things I

One of the first things I believe I would be doing if I were the sheriff, is checking around the town and seeing if anyone had purchased bullets like the ones taken out of Steve and Uncle Ben. That would narrow down the search for the killer, as you would know the type of gun used.

Unfortunately

littlerocksilver's picture

He has to send them to Bismarck for Ballistics testing. They're pretty common calibers.

Portia

I'd be talking to the guy who

I'd be talking to the guy who lied and said he shot him with a shotgun.