Love and Zombies

Printer-friendly version

Love and Zombies

Author’s note: This is fan-fiction taking place in the world of the book “World War Z - an oral history of the zombie war”. Hope you guys like it.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

The mayor’s wife is a strikingly beautiful woman despite being in her 60’s. She asks to do this interview on the patio, and there she begins.

“I am one of the luckiest survivors I know of. It started with working for Walmart before the Great Panic, and my boss actually giving us permission to take whatever we needed . So I was well supplied, for a while.

Then there was an announcement on the radio, saying that anybody who could get there would find safety at the local army barracks.

Not being sure how long I could last where I was, I figured it was a good idea. I went to my ex’s and tried to get her and my daughter to come with me, but my ex didn’t want to go. She always was a bit of a religious nut in my opinion, and this crisis had really got her unhinged, to the point she apparently believed that the zombies were a punishment from God on the wicked.

I left their house crying ...

I went to the local barracks, and found that they had things pretty well set up. After being sniffed by some dogs to make sure I was virus-free, I was interviewed to see what I could contribute to the group. I told them about being a trans woman, and I was slightly surprised to discover they didn’t have a problem with it.

I had a mix of experiences, so they decided to have me help in the kitchen, which suited me fine.

The first month was pretty hairy, with new people coming in, and more z’s to look out for all the time.

But we held on, and by winter we were pretty well set, for the most part.

Which was good because of how hard that winter was.

My gender status really wasn’t an issue, thank God, but when some of the unattached people began to hook up, it seemed clear that nobody thought of me as a romantic partner.

Despite that, I found myself falling for the head of the base, a man named Simon. He had an ability to be both strong enough to deal with our situation while still being gentle enough to help with the kids who had made it to the fort.

Time passed, and we listened to the Free Earth broadcasts report the turning of the tide, and the beginning of the counteroffensive. While we were glad to hear good news, we realized there wasn’t much we could do but continue to survive and cheer from the sidelines.

Meanwhile we really bonded as a community.

Eventually, they were able to liberate Edmonton, and we had freedom to go where we would.

Most of us decided to stay.

Then I got the biggest shock.

Simon proposed to me.

So in a bizarre way, I owe the zombies my happiness.

Who would have seen that coming?

End.

up
112 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm confused

What happened to her daughter?

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

good question

maybe my muse will let us find out ...

DogSig.png