My Fathers Secret Part 15

Printer-friendly version


© May 2016

Yes Sara is back with the completion of My Fathers Secret. I now have the rest of the book for editing and I’ll be posting chapters every Monday. Huggs Sammi.


Chapter Thirty: Good Help Isn’t so Hard to Find

 

    Jessica and Kirstin had a nice relaxing day on the Saturday. Kirstin had managed to talk her second in command into covering for her so she could go and help Jessica babysit for Debbie, and neither of them felt like going out shopping, so they just hung out at the house and helped Joan to clean and do the washing.

     “Why don’t you come with us mother?” Jessica asked Joan as she and Kirstin were getting ready to head over to Debbie’s house, so they could babysit while Debbie and Paul went out for the evening.

     “I’ll be fine right here.” Joan smiled. “I have a glass of wine and a good book to read.” Joan added with a grin as she held up the book and then picked up her wine glass and took a sip from it.

    Jessica couldn’t argue with her on that, so she put her coat on and then gave Joan a kiss on the cheek just before she left the house with Kirstin, but not before Kirstin also gave Joan a kiss on the cheek.

    Joan put some classical music on and relaxed into her seat again and carried on reading her book. Joan had only been reading for ten minutes when her cell phone started ringing, so she picked it up and saw it was an unknown number. She thought about hitting the cancel button, but she thought it might be someone she knew calling from a number she didn’t have stored in her phone, so she hit the answer button.

     “Hello, Joan speaking.” Joan said tentatively into her phone.

     “Hello Joan, I wasn’t sure you’d answer your phone or not.” A man said on the other end of the line.

     “Who am I talking to...?” Joan asked.

     “I’m sorry Joan.” The man said. “It’s Carl Wayne from London. I own the hotel and night club.” He explained, not that he needed to because Joan knew who he was just from his name.

     “Hello Carl, is everything alright?” Joan asked; worry now edging her voice as she couldn’t think of any other reason for Carl being on the phone to her.

     “Everything is fine, but I was talking to Jane earlier, and she was telling me about you having some trouble finding a good receptionist.” Carl said as he tried to calm Joan back down.

     “Yes, I had to let the old one go, and the agency I’ve been using has sent a couple of women that really weren’t suited to the job.” Joan explained. “You must know how hard it is to find good staff from time to time?” Joan asked.

     “Yes I know how hard it can be, but I might be able to help you out, and you would be doing me a huge favour if you gave this person a chance to show you what they’re capable of.” Carl said with a pleading in his voice for Joan to listen to what he had to say.

     “Are you telling me that you know of someone that lives close enough to come and work for me?” Joan sounded a little shocked that someone like Carl would call her and go to bat for someone he knew.

     “Yes I do.” Carl replied. “They are more than qualified to be a receptionist, but due to changes in their life, they have been having trouble finding work.” Carl sounded a little cryptic.

     “Are you trying to say that this person is trans?” Joan asked, reading between the lines at what Carl was trying to say.

     “Yes they are, but they do pass very well, and I think you could help each other out.” Carl sounded hopeful.

     “If this person is so good at their job, then why haven’t you snapped them up to work for you?” Joan sounded like she smelt a problem.

     “I tried to, but they have two young children that they don’t want to move away from.” Carl sighed. “And know one local will hire a transgendered woman in their line of work.” Carl added with a growl.

     “I’m willing to give them a chance, but I hope they realise that I won’t just hire them because they know you.” Joan warned.

     “I would never expect you to, and neither would they.” Carl said in agreement. “I’ll pass on your details, and tell them to report for work on Monday morning.” Carl added with a smile in his voice.

     “Can you send me any of their details, so I can gain some insight before Monday?” Joan asked.

     “I have a copy of their CV here, so I’ll email it over to you when I get off the phone.” Carl offered. “She won’t let you down Joan.” Carl promised.

     “I hope not, and it would be nice to help this person out.” Joan smiled. “It sounds like she needs it.” Joan added.

     “She does, she married into money, and when she came clean to her SO, the SO took her to the cleaners and the SO’s family managed to get her blackballed from any and all jobs.” Carl explained. “It took my legal team to make it so she could still see her children.” Carl added with a little pride in his voice for the little bit of help he was able to offer.

     “Do the children accept their new mother...?” Joan asked, not able to think of a better word to describe this woman that was once their father.

     “Yes, the children have tried to run away, so they could live with their new mother.” Carl said, using the same words Joan had used to describe this person he wanted Joan to give a job to.

     “If that’s the case, wouldn’t the children be better off with the new mother?” Joan asked with some anger in her voice.

     “Finding her a stable job is the first step to me helping her do just that, but the SO has some very powerful lawyers behind them.” Carl sighed like he was tired.

     “I’d like to see if I can help, if she is as good at her job as you say she is.” Joan said with a grin in her voice. Joan liked to take on these big guns because she was always ready for a good fight.

     “I’d like that, and I’d also help with the legal costs of taking them on.” Carl offered.

     “I couldn’t take your money Carl, not after all the help you’ve given Jessica.” Joan sounded offended by Carl’s offer.

     “This could get costly, and I don’t want you backing down because of it getting to expensive for you to keep on fighting.” Carl explained his reason for offering his help.

     “I always fight to my last breath in all my legal battles.” Joan said with pride.

     “You are a woman after my own heart Joan, but my offer remains to help you out if you need it.” Carl offered. “I will have all the details sent to you from my legal team, so you can take a look at what they found out.” Carl added.

     “I look forward to receiving it, and also meeting your friend on Monday morning.” Joan smiled.

     “Just ask Jessica to go easy on her.” Carl laughed. “Jane was telling me she’s a tough task master to work under.” Carl added with more laughter.

     “Yes she is, but I think your friend will be a much better person for the job, by the sounds of it, and I think it might be good for Jessica to have someone that understands her better than most.” Joan said.

     “I haven’t told Dawn anything about Jessica.” Carl said. “I thought it best to let Jessica decide whether or not she wants Dawn to know about her past, I just said I know of someone that would be more understanding to her situation.” Carl added.

     “Dawn...? Is that your friend’s name?” Joan asked.

     “Yes, it was David Fraser before her surgery, but now she goes by the name Dawn Fraser.”

     “It’s a pretty name.” Joan smiled. “I really am looking forward to meeting this Dawn; I just hope she’s as good at her job as you say she is.” Joan added.

     “I know you won’t be disappointed Joan. I’ll let you get back to your evening, and I hope we get to see you down here again soon.”

     “We’ll be back down at the end of the month for Jessica’s therapist appointment.” Joan reminded Carl.

     “I don’t think it will be long before Jessica is getting the go ahead to have her surgery.” Carl admitted. “She seems very natural as a woman, just like Chrissy and Amy were, and neither of them had to wait the full two years either.”

     “Don’t let Jessica hear you saying that.” Joan laughed. “She’d be asking you to book her in for the surgery tomorrow.”

     “Is Jessica not at home with you tonight?” Carl asked.

     “No, she’s out babysitting with Kirstin.” Joan sounded glad to have the house to herself for an evening, even if really she was missing the two of them being in the house with her.

     “I remember Jane saying something about that to me now.” Carl remembered. “It is a little hard to keep up with Jane at times, she can talk so fast.” Carl complained, but he was soon chuckling.

     “Jessica can be just as bad when she’s excited about something.” Joan laughed as she thought about how well Jane and Jessica got on when they started talking to each other.

    Carl wrapped up his conversation with Joan and then he rang off. Joan went back to reading her book and listening to her classical music, and sipping her wine.

*****

    Debbie and Paul were only going out to a movie and then grabbing a bite to eat after. Jessica and Kirstin had told them to just go out and have a good time while they looked after the babies for the evening.

    The babies had been no trouble and were fast asleep when Debbie and Paul got home just before midnight.

     “Did you have any trouble with them?” Debbie asked as she fell down into one of the seats in the living room and took her shoes off.

     “No, they have been asleep most the night since we fed them.” Jessica smiled. “Did you have a good time?” Jessica asked with hope in her voice.

     “Yes, it was nice to have a night off from playing mother.” Debbie admitted with a little guilt in her voice. “Does that make me a bad mother...?” Debbie asked.

     “No... It just means you were ready for a night off.” Kirstin argued. “I bet you were missing them by the end of the night?” Kirstin asked with a grin because she already knew that Debbie was missing her babies.

     “I was missing them two minutes after leaving the house.” Debbie smiled.

     “She wanted to step out the movie and call to make sure they were alright, but I managed to talk her out of it.” Paul frowned.

     “You almost got into a fight as well.” Debbie replied with anger in her voice.

     “It’s not my fault if that guy wouldn’t accept my apology.” Paul said in his own defence.

     “True, but telling him to sit down and eat his popcorn before you pushed the bag down his throat, wasn’t helping matters.” Debbie said as she put her hands on her hips to let Paul know she was upset with him, but the fact she was fighting a smirk removed any weight her pose was trying to say.

     “It made him shut up though.” Paul said proudly.

     “You can’t take him anywhere can you?” Jessica said as she tried to look shocked over what Paul had said.

     “I seem to remember someone else being just as bad if not worse than that.” Kirstin frowned as she looked at Jessica.

     “An old boyfriend?” Debbie asked.

     “Yes...” Kirstin smiled. “I’m glad to say he changed his ways and finally grew out of it.” Kirstin added as she wrapped her arms around Jessica and looked her in the eyes.

     “Maybe I should put you in a dress and see if I can calm you down a little bit.” Debbie smirked as she looked at her husband.

     “That was the first time I ever lost my temper with someone, and that was after I said sorry and he called you some rude names.” Paul said in his own defence. He was a little worried about Debbie following through with her threat and actually making him wear some of her things. Even though he had a couple of times in the past, but that had taken large amounts of alcohol and a pack of playing cards.

     “I actually found what you did a little sexy.” Debbie purred as she got up and went to sit on Paul’s knee just before she started kissing him.

     “I think it’s time we got going and left you two to get ready for bed.” Jessica said as she got up and helped Kirstin up off the sofa where they had been cuddling most the evening while Debbie and Paul were out.

    Debbie and Paul walked them to the door and thanked them for looking after the babies. Paul handed them a tall thin gift bag when they were at the front door. Kirstin reached into the bag and pulled out a nice bottle of wine.

     “You didn’t need to do this for us.” Jessica complained.

     “You won’t let us pay you for babysitting, so Paul and I decided that a bottle of wine was the least we could get you.” Debbie argued.

     “You still didn’t need to, but thank you anyway.” Jessica smiled as she fist gave Debbie a hug and then she hugged Paul. Jessica never gave it a second thought as she hugged Paul, it was just something she did now, and Paul didn’t seem to mind, he just saw Jessica as a woman that was in love with another woman.

    Jessica and Kirstin got in Jessica’s car and they waved to Debbie and Paul as they pulled away from the house and headed towards home.

    Joan was already in bed when they got home, so Jessica put the bottle of wine in the fridge and then led Kirstin up to her room so they could get ready for bed. They did finally find sleep, but not before Kirstin had some fun with Jessica. Jessica made love as a woman, but a woman with a little something extra.

*****

     “I got a phone call last night while the two of you were babysitting.” Joan informed Jessica and Kirstin at breakfast the next morning.

     “Who from...?” Jessica asked.

     “Carl Wayne.” Joan grinned.

     “Is Jane alright?” Jessica asked, thinking that something might have happened to her friend.

     “Jane is fine.” Joan said in a tone that made it sound like Jessica was being silly for thinking such a thing. “He called to ask me if I’d be willing to take a look at a woman he knows who’s looking for work in this area.” Joan explained.

     “He did...?” Jessica looked a little shocked. “Is she a good solicitor then?” Jessica asked, thinking that the call was to do with Joan taking on a solicitor friend Carl had.

     “She’s looking for a receptionist job, which is why Carl called me about her.” Joan said just before she took a sip from her coffee cup.

     “How does Carl know you’re looking for a receptionist?” Jessica still looked puzzled.

     “You told Jane, and Jane told Carl, so Carl called me after speaking with his friend.” Joan said in a matter of fact way. “I do need to explain something though, not that it’s a big problem.” Joan added sounding more serious.

     “What’s that?” Jessica asked.

     “She’s transgendered, and she had a messy divorce, hence the reason for Carl calling me and asking if I’d be willing to take a chance and hire her.” Joan started to explain. “She worked for the SO’s family business, and they have managed to get her blackballed from any company that works in her former skill set, and from what Carl said, she’s about at the end of her rope.” Joan frowned.

     “I don’t have a problem with her coming to work for you.” Jessica sounded excited. “It will be kind of cool to have someone to talk to face to face from time to time.” Jessica added.

     “Carl hasn’t told her anything about you, so it’s up to you as to whether or not you tell her about your past and what you plan to do with your future.” Joan smiled.

     “Of course I plan to tell her, it may help her if she knows that she’s not the only woman working for the company with a hidden past.” Jessica made it sound like Joan was being silly to even think she would keep her secret from this new woman.

     “I was hoping you would, and I’m sure she would feel better knowing that there is someone within the company that she can come to with any problems she might have.” Joan agreed with Jessica’s thoughts.

     “You don’t have a problem with any of this do you...?” Jessica asked as she looked at Kirstin, who had been quiet up to now.

     “Why would I have a problem with this woman coming to work for you?” Kirstin looked confused.

     “I was just thinking that I might want to spend some time with her, so we can talk about things.” Jessica tried to explain.

     “I’d like to get to know her to, so as long as I can join you if you decide to hook up out of work, I don’t have a problem.” Kirstin shrugged.

     “You know I want to spend all my free time with you.” Jessica pouted. “I’m glad you’re on board with this though.” Jessica added with a grin. “When will she be starting?” Jessica asked, turning to look at Joan again.

     “Carl said she would be at the office first thing in the morning.” Joan said after taking another sip from her coffee cup. “Carl sent me her CV over, and I must say she’s very well qualified, if not a little over qualified.” Joan pointed out.

     “I gather it must be hard finding people to trust you when they find out that you’ve been working as a male all your life, and now you expect them to just except you as a woman.” Kirstin sounded thoughtful as she said it.

     “I expect so, but it must be even harder if the family of your SO has put the word out to stop anyone from hiring you because of it.” Joan said with some anger in her voice.

     “Why would they feel the need to do such a thing?” Jessica sounded sorry for this pour woman.

     “She had a couple of children with this other woman, and the children still want to be with the new mother rather than their old one, so the family have made it so she can’t find work.” Joan explained.

     “I just feel like hugging this pour woman right now.” Jessica said with tears in her eyes. Jessica was glad that Kirstin and Joan were more understanding to her situation.

     “This SO sounds like a right bitch...!” Kirstin snarled.

     “Yes she does, and I’m expecting trouble with her family when they find out I’ve given Dawn a job.” Joan smiled as she rubbed her hands together like she was actually looking forward to it.

     “I almost feel sorry for them.” Kirstin giggled as she looked at Joan rubbing her hands together.

     “I don’t, and I hope they do try something.” Jessica growled. “You called her Dawn, is that her name?” Jessica asked as she calmed herself down again by taking a couple of long deep breaths.

     “Yes, Dawn Fraser, she use to be David Fraser, but she’s post op and living as Dawn now.” Joan filled the two of them in on what she knew.

    Jessica had a long list of questions she wanted answers to, but Joan hadn’t met this Dawn yet, so she couldn’t answer any of them, other than what Carl had said the night before.

*****

     “Why don’t you just call in sick for one day?” Jessica whined a little later in the day as she watched Kirstin doing her makeup so she could leave for work.

     “I took last night off, and it wouldn’t be fair for me to take another day off, not to mention the new area manager is going to be around.” Kirstin said the last part like she didn’t like the man very much.

     “But I thought you’d already cleared it for you to take Saturday and Sunday’s off so you could spend more time with me?” Jessica pouted.

     “I had, but this asshole of an area manager vetoed it and tried to stop all the staff from being able to take Saturday or Sunday off.” Kirstin explained.

     “He really does sound like an asshole.” Jessica agreed with another pout.

     “Tell me about it.” Kirstin rolled her eyes. “Do you know that he even had the nerve to ask me out on a date again, even after I told him I was going steady with someone?” Kirstin said, sounding offended.

     “What did he say?” Jessica asked with anger in her voice.

     “He said that he felt like giving me a second chance because I’d looked a little shocked when he asked me the first time.” Kirstin mimicked sticking her fingers down her throat like she was trying to make herself sick. “He also said that going on a date with him would help me to advance my career.” Kirstin sounded angry herself now.

     “So let me get this straight, he basically said that you have to sleep with him to advance any further?” Jessica sounded totally shocked now.

     “Basically, yes.” Kirstin growled.

     “What did you say to him...?” Jessica asked.

     “I didn’t, I just went back to work and tried to avoid being alone with him for the rest of my shift.” Kirstin shrugged like she had no idea how to fix this problem.

     “Can’t you report him to someone?” Jessica suggested.

     “He’s the nephew of the restaurant chains owner, so who do you think he’s going to believe?” Kirstin frowned.

     “You could always leave and find another job.” Jessica said it like it wasn’t one of her better ideas, because she knew how hard it was finding work with the way the economy was at the minute.

     “But this is a good job; well it was until this creep showed up.” Kirstin corrected herself and then slumped down in her seat as she let out a depressed sounding sigh.

     “Do you want me to come down to the restaurant and have a word with him for you?” Jessica offered.

     “Only if you want him to ask you out on a date.” Kirstin said as she found herself giggling while she thought about Jessica trying to act all tuff while sticking her chest in her area manager’s face.

    Jessica went to argue with Kirstin, but she stopped before she said a word and just sat there with her mouth hanging open. Jessica knew Kirstin was right, and she never looked very threatening anyway, but even less so now she was dressing as a woman.

     “I was only trying to help.” Jessica finally said, sounding a little hurt over Kirstin laughing at her.

     “I know you were, and I’m sorry for laughing at you.” Kirstin said as she got up from the vanity table in Jessica’s room and walked over to join Jessica on the bed where she’d been sat talking to Kirstin while she got ready for work. “I just don’t want you anywhere near that creep, but if he did see the two of us together, he might finally understand why I’m not interested.” Kirstin smiled as she saw a plan forming in her mind.

     “I’m not sure that’s a very good idea Kirstin.” Jessica warned. “He sounds like the type to ask for a threesome.” Jessica added with a shudder as she thought about sharing her bed with a man.

     “You could have a point.” Kirstin agreed. “He reminds me of how you use to act as Jonathon, when you got with a group of guys, but I know that he’s not putting on an act to impress anyone, he actually thinks he can get any woman he wants.” Kirstin added with anger in her voice.

     “Maybe he should spend a little time in a skirt.” Jessica grinned. “It might make him see things a little differently.”

     “I doubt even that would help him.” Kirstin said with a shudder as she tried to picture her area manager in a dress. “And now I will have that image stuck in my head all afternoon.” Kirstin grumbled as she playfully slapped Jessica on the arm.

     “At least it will help you put up with him now, if every time you look at him you see him in a dress.” Jessica giggled as she tried to defend herself.

    Kirstin finished getting ready for work and then she let Jessica walk her out to her car and waved as she watched Kirstin drive away.

    Jessica returned to the house and found Joan in the kitchen sorting out something for dinner, so Jessica started to help her and they were soon sat enjoying a nice meal. Jessica helped to sort out the dishes once they finished eating and then Joan went into the living room to carry on reading her book, and Jessica found a movie to watch until it was time for bed. Jessica was sad that Kirstin wasn’t coming back to her house when she finished work at the restaurant, but Kirstin said it was going to be late, and she knew that Jessica had a busy day the next day, due to Dawn starting work, and Jessica needed to show her the ropes.

*****

    Jessica was actually excited the next morning as Joan drove them to the office. Jessica wondered what this Dawn would look like, and if Dawn actually passed as well as she did, or if she would still be able to see a male in a dress.

    Joan pulled into her parking space, and the two of them got out the car and made their way into the building. They both said good morning to the security staff manning the front desk as they walked past, but they both stopped when one of the guards said that there was someone waiting for them.

     “There’s a lady waiting to see you Mrs Green.” The guard said as he pointed to a woman sat on one of the sofas where clients were asked to wait when they first arrived. “She says a Mr Wayne spoke with you about her.” The man said with some hope in his voice that Joan knew what he was talking about.

     “Yes he did, thank you for taking care of her while she was waiting.” Joan smiled when she saw that one of the guards had sorted her out with a drink.

    Joan and Jessica walked over to where the woman was sat, and she stood as she saw the two women approaching her. “You must be Mrs Green...?” The softly spoken woman asked as she held out her hand to shake Joan’s.

     “Yes, but please call me Joan, and this is Jessica my daughter.” Joan smiled as she shook the woman’s hand and noticed how soft and feminine it looked. “And you must be Dawn?” Joan asked.

     “Yes I am.” Dawn sounded nervous. “I trust that Mr Wayne explained about my past?” Dawn asked in a whisper as she looked around to make sure no one was close enough to pick up on what she was getting at.

     “Yes he did, but let’s go through to my office and we can have a drink and talk a little more freely about it all.” Joan said as she led the way through to her part of the building with Jessica and Dawn following close behind.

    Joan led them into her office and indicated for Dawn to take a seat on one of the sofas she had in the corner of her office, while she took her jacket off and placed her briefcase under her desk out the way.

     “I’ll go and sort out some drinks for us.” Jessica smiled as she turned and left the office again.

     “Do you need any help Jessica?” Dawn asked, looking hopeful that she wouldn’t be left alone with her new boss.

     “I’ll be fine, but thanks for the offer.” Jessica said just before she vanished out the door.

    Once Joan had finished taking her jacket off, she turned and looked at Dawn more closely. “I’m sorry for starring at you Dawn.” Joan said when she saw how nervous she was making Dawn. “You look very good, much better than I was expecting actually.” Joan admitted.

     “Thank you Joan and thank you for letting me come here and show you what I can do.” Dawn said in the same soft voice.

     “Carl sent me a copy of your CV, and I must admit that I think you could be a little over qualified for a receptionist.” Joan said as she took a seat on another sofa facing Dawn.

     “I’ll just be glad to have any job at the minute.” Dawn laughed, but it wasn’t a happy laugh. “I gather Carl explained about my ex-wife and her family stopping me from finding work?” Dawn asked with some anger in her voice.

     “Yes, he gave me a quick run through of the problems you’ve been having.” Joan frowned, she wasn’t impressed with the homophobic way Dawn’s ex-wife had been treating her.

     “I’m sure someone will be in contact with you at some point this week to talk you into getting rid of me.” Dawn sighed like it wouldn’t be the first time it had happened.

     “Have they done that to you at other places you’ve found work, since becoming Dawn fulltime?” Joan asked.

     “Yes, that’s if I’ve actually managed to talk my way into getting a job, but most people are scared of catching something if they take a person like me on.” Dawn shrugged like she didn’t understand why being transgendered was such a problem for them to deal with.

    Joan was just about to speak when she saw Jessica walk back into the room carrying a tray of drinks for them, and there was a small jug of cream and a bowl with sugar cubes in it. “I wasn’t sure if you had cream and sugar, so I thought I’d just let you add your own if you did.” Jessica explained as she placed the tray down on the coffee table between the two sofas.

     “You can talk freely in front of Jessica, she knows all about you, and she’s a very understanding person, just like I am.” Joan said when she saw how nervous Dawn had become since Jessica came back into the room.

     “I’m a lot like you, but I’m only just starting my journey.” Jessica admitted as she took a seat on the same sofa Dawn was sat on.

     “You’re trans...?” Dawn asked with shock in her voice as she looked the young woman up and down, but not seeing any trace of a male, just a beautiful young woman drinking a cup of coffee. “How long have you been on hormones?” Dawn added as she shook her head, all her nervousness now gone.

     “I’ve not started yet, but I have been to see Dr Prudence Walker, and I’m waiting to get the test results back.” Jessica grinned.

     “You look like this, and you haven’t had to take any hormones?” Dawn sounded a little jealous. “What about those?” Dawn asked as she pointed at the cleavage she could see through the open top of Jessica’s blouse.

     “There just glued on and the edges are hidden with makeup.” Jessica pouted as she looked down at her breasts pushing her blouse out.

     “Wow, you look amazing girl...!” Dawn admitted, finding it hard to keep from sounding totally jealous of Jessica. “And you’ve had no surgery done on your face either?” Dawn asked as she looked more closely at Jessica’s face.

     “Nope, just a little makeup.” Jessica smiled nervously. “Have you had any plastic surgery?” Jessica asked as she studied Dawn’s face more closely.

     “Yes, I’ve had my nose done, and a little bit of a lift here and there.” Dawn admitted with a sigh as she turned her head from side to side to let Jessica get a better look at her.

    Jessica thought Dawn looked very pretty, but she would never be a supermodel. Jessica thought Dawn looked a little bit plain for that, but she thought Dawn looked all woman to look at. Jessica wondered if Dawn dressed down on purpose, so as not to have men coming on to her.

    The three of them all turned to look at the office door when they heard a knock just before they saw Debbie poke her head around and smile at them. “Morning...!” Debbie said as she stepped into the room.

     “Morning Debbie, I’d like you to meet Dawn Fraser, she’s going to be trying out for the receptionist job.” Joan explained. “Dawn, this is my second in command, Debbie”

     “It’s nice to meet you Debbie.” Dawn said as she stood up and reached over the coffee table to shake Debbie’s hand.

     “It’s nice to meet you too Dawn.” Debbie smiled as she gave Dawn the once over, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary about her.

     “Do you mind if I tell Debbie about your past, Dawn?” Joan asked as she looked at Dawn who was still stood. “Debbie will be the only other one that will know, but she knows about Jessica, and she’s a very understanding person, just like me.”

     “I trust your judgment Joan, but I would like to go and get started, that is if Jessica is ready to start showing me the ropes.” Dawn asked as she first looked at Joan and then she looked at Jessica.

     “I’m ready if you are.” Jessica smiled back as she turned and started walking out of the office with Dawn following close behind.

     Joan waited for Jessica and Dawn to leave before she started to explain the phone call from Carl, and how Dawn had once been a male called David. Joan went on to explain about all the trouble Dawn was having with her ex-wife, and how the ex-wife’s family had been working hard to keep Dawn from getting a job to stop her having access to her children.

*****

     “Does everyone know about you being Trans?” Dawn asked in a whisper as they walked out towards the main reception.

     “No, just Joan and Debbie here at the office.” Jessica whispered back. “And I’d like to keep it that way.” Jessica added as they walked out onto the main floor and over towards the reception desk.

     “I can understand that.” Dawn agreed. “We’re just a couple of girlfriends that work together.” Dawn added with a grin.

    Jessica smiled in agreement as they reached the main desk and they relieved the security guards so they could do their job of stopping anyone from trying to get into the offices without an appointment, while Jessica started to show Dawn the way they did things.

    Dawn was a little nervous to begin with, but she soon relaxed into the job and Jessica was able to step back and watch Dawn work. Jessica was impressed with how good Dawn was at her job, but Jessica still stopped out on reception for the rest of the day to make sure Dawn didn’t have any problems.

*****

     “How’s Dawn doing?” Joan asked Jessica while she was delivering some letters that had been couriered over to them from a client mid morning.

     “She’d pretty good at her job, better than me I have to admit.” Jessica smiled.

     “So you think she might be a keeper then?” Joan asked with a grin, glad that she might have her PA back sooner rather than later.

     “If what I’ve seen so far is anything to go by, I would most definitely say yes.” Jessica grinned back.

     “I was thinking of asking her to join us for lunch, would you be alright with that?” Joan asked Jessica, but she had a look that said she already knew that Jessica would be fine with Dawn joining them for lunch.

     “I was going to ask you if Dawn could join us for lunch, I know she’s not had time to make friends with anyone else here, and I’d love to spend a little time getting to know her a little better.” Jessica sounded excited and actually bounced up and down on the spot a little as she agreed with Joan.

     “I better let you get back and ask her then.” Joan laughed.

    Jessica spun on her heels and left Joan’s office so she could return to reception and ask Dawn if she wanted to join them for lunch.

    Dawn was busy explaining to a client where they needed to go for a meeting when Jessica returned to the reception desk, so she stood back and waited for Dawn to finish. Jessica was impressed with how well Dawn coped with the man flirting with her. Dawn was very professional about it, and even smiled as she joked with him about her already having a boyfriend.

     “I didn’t think he was going to take no for an answer.” Jessica laughed as she walked over to Dawn once the man had gone off in the direction of the office where he was meeting the solicitor he’d come to see.

     “I think I would have scared him half to death if I’d said yes to the dinner date.” Dawn smiled. “I can tell that you’ve been waiting to talk with me about something.” Dawn added looking worried.

     “Yes I have, but it’s nothing bad.” Jessica said, seeing the worry in Dawn’s eyes. “I just wanted to invite you to join me, Joan and Debbie for a spot of Lunch today.” Jessica explained.

     “I’d like that, but what about reception?” Dawn asked as she looked at the desk in front of her.

     “Security will cover for you, and we don’t have many clients coming in over the lunchtime period anyway.” Jessica said as she waved off Dawn’s worries.

     “I’d love to join you then.” Dawn smiled.

    Jessica helped Dawn out on reception up until lunch, when the two of them saw Joan and Debbie walking over to reception.

     “Are the two of you ready to go get some lunch?” Joan asked.

     “Yes, and I’d like to thank you for inviting me, and giving me the chance at a job.” Dawn said as she retrieved her coat and purse out a small cupboard under the desk.

     “I know it’s your first day, so I doubt you’ve had time to make any friends yet, and Jessica tells me that you’re very good at your job.” Joan said as she walked them out the building and over to her car. Paul was working from home today, so he was looking after the babies, so Debbie was free to enjoy a more relaxing lunchtime.

     “I think I’ve made one friend already.” Dawn smiled as she looked over at Jessica while they walked over to Joan’s car in the parking area to the side of the building they worked out of.

     “You have, Debbie and me as well Dawn.” Joan argued.

     “Thank you.” Dawn said with a tear in her eye. “It’s so weird to have friends that know all about me, but it doesn’t bother them.” Dawn admitted with pride in her voice.

     “Debbie and I know that it doesn’t matter what sort of a person you were in the past, it’s who we see and how you act now that counts.” Joan said once they were in her car and pulling out of the parking lot into traffic.

     “I guess I’m just use to people being very standoffish with me once they find out I’m Trans.” Dawn sighed.

     “Do you really have a boyfriend?” Jessica asked, as she remembered what Dawn had said to the man that was flirting with her earlier in the morning.

     “No, but I find it’s a good way to stop most men asking me out on a date.” Dawn smiled. “I’m not at the point in my life where I feel safe going out on dates, and my ex has a habit of throwing spanners in the works as she tries to find different ways to stop me seeing our children.” Dawn added with a frown.

     “She’ll get a shock if she tries to cause trouble for you from now on.” Joan said as she looked at Dawn in the rear view mirror. “I’ll start the paperwork to get an injunction to stop her having any contact with you unless it’s through your solicitor.” Joan added with a grin.

     “But I don’t have a solicitor.” Dawn pointed out.

     “You do now.” Joan said as she looked over her shoulder at Dawn this time while they were stopped at a set of traffic lights.

     “I’m not sure I can afford to hire you though.” Dawn said nervously.

     “Call it a company perk, but I’m not going to be charging you for any of it.” Joan said as she pulled away from the lights again. “I’d like to think someone would do the same for Jessica if she didn’t have me to look after her, so I want to help you spend time with your children, they shouldn’t be made a weapon to be used against you just because your ex-wife is small minded.” Joan added with anger in her voice.

     “Thank you, thank you so much.” Dawn said with relief in her voice. “You have no idea how good it is to have people on my side.” Dawn added with a tear in her eye as she looked at Jessica sat next to her in the back of Joan’s car.

    Joan was soon pulling into the car park of a little restaurant she liked to eat at, and they all got out the car and entered the place and were soon seated at a table. They all had an iced tea and then they looked through the menu for a couple of minutes before they ordered what they wanted.

     “I hope you don’t mind me asking you this Dawn, but doesn’t it bother you when men start flirting with you?” Jessica whispered to Dawn while they were waiting for their food to arrive.

     “It did in the beginning, but now I just let them down in the easiest way I can.” Dawn shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal.

     “Jessica would rather run away than flirt back.” Debbie giggled.

     “I just don’t like guys.” Jessica argued.

     “You just have a lot to learn Jessica.” Dawn started to explain. “Do you remember how you felt the first time you ever went out looking like this?” Dawn asked as she indicated to the way Jessica was dressed now to how she use to dress as Jonathon.

     “I was scared that everyone I walked past was about to start screaming I was a man in a dress.” Jessica admitted in a whisper.

     “And how do you feel now about it all?” Dawn smiled like she already knew the answer.

     “I don’t think about it, this is just who I am.” Jessica replied after looking deep in thought about it for a short time.

     “And given more time, you will learn to flirt with men just like every other woman does.” Dawn shrugged again like it was just a natural thing all women learned to do. “I think you’re going to be quite the little stunner once you start on the hormones.” Dawn added with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

     “She will still only have eyes for Kirstin though.” Debbie grinned.

     “Is Kirstin your girlfriend?” Dawn asked with a raised eyebrow.

     “Yes she is.” Jessica blushed. She then went on to explain her past to Dawn, and how she had lost Kirstin when she was still Jonathon, but had bumped into her again after becoming Jessica.

     “And all of this didn’t bother her?” Dawn sounded even more jealous now.

     “No, if anything she loves me even more.” Jessica admitted with a grin as she thought about how lucky she was to have someone like Kirstin in her life.

     “I wish I could find someone who was willing to except me for who I am.” Dawn admitted with a sigh.

     “I’m sure they’re out there somewhere Dawn, but I think you have more important things to get sorted out before you start looking to settle down.” Joan said.

     “Being able to spend time with my children is the most important thing to me right now.” Dawn agreed.

    They all enjoyed their meal, and Dawn learned that she would never win an argument with Joan when it came time to pay the bill at the end. Joan said it was her treat and she paid the bill before they all returned to her car and then the office.

    Joan and Debbie needed Jessica to help them with some paperwork in the afternoon, so she left Dawn to man the front desk and said to call if she had any problems. Dawn promised she would, and she did a couple of times when she wasn’t sure about a person a client had come to see. Apart from that though, Dawn coped fine, and Jessica felt happy to return to her normal job the next day and leave the front desk in Dawn’s capable hands.

 

To Be Continued Next Monday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

    AUTHORS NOTE: Cathy, Jane and all the others that Jessica and Joan meet while down in London, are all characters I wrote about in my; You Have it all Wrong series. Even though you don’t hear about Jane’s story until book four ‘You have it all Wrong Four, the Kids Story’ the time line for this story is set between book three and book four. So to find out more about Chrissy, Amy and Cathy, and how they all became the women they are in this story, you will need to go back and read them.

    Hugs

    SaraUK

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Woots

Great to see You back Sara I got to re read this story though , a lovely chapter and I see battle lines being drawn.
Looks like there's going to be fun ahead.
Matt

Awesome

Welcome back Sara. You have been greatly missed. As always your work is wonderful. I continue to read your stories well after you have finished them. They bring laughter and tears even when you don't mean to. I look forward to your creations being brought to life.

Kudos!

On another well written chapter that has has some of your other characters from other stories helping a new character in this one and shows Joan's willingness to help out an old friend. Dawn sounds like she'll fit in there!
Welcome back!

Yes! Yes!!!!!

Welcome back Sara!!!

I haven't read this story yet, but I didn't want to waste any time in welcoming you back! I have sorely missed your stories.

Well I gotta go read now!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

My favorite authors back! Yay!

Welcome back Sara! Looking forward to finish reading this story. But first I have to reread the first 14 parts since its been almost 3 years. Again, welcome back.

Yeah

favorite author is back
hmmm sounds like a song
ed


ed

Oh it's about bloody time

... that you allowed your loyal readership back from Coventry. Naughty, naughty me girl. ^_^

Lots going on here

I went back to the beginning to reacquaint myself with the characters and storyline. It is like meeting old friends after a long absence and picking up like there was never a break - that is what all your characters are to me, friends that I visit with often.

Several stories running together that crisscross and the intersections are where the action will be. Dawn's exwife giving her grief, Kirstin's area manager being an a** , and Jessica living her life. This has been a good story and I am glad Sara has continued it.

Sara, thank you for sharing your stories!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Thanks

julie_p's picture

Welcome back
You have been greatly missed.

Best wishes from Norway
Julie

Off the trolley

Jamie Lee's picture

Nice chapter and addition to the story.

Dawn's ex is really off her trolley. She's given up a real life to make another's a living hell. Wonder how she'd feel if the shoe was on the other foot? And if she isn't careful she might find out. They are right, though, in that she has no right to use the children as a weapon against Dawn.

Others have feelings too.