My Fathers Secret Part 19

Printer-friendly version


© June 2016


Chapter Thirty Four: She’s been what...!

    Jessica felt a little lost when she woke and got out of bed on the Tuesday morning because Kirstin hadn’t stopped the night, and Jessica had liked waking up next to her so they could both put on their swim suits and go down for a swim together.

    Joan was already in the pool swimming lengths when Jessica stepped into the room and slipped off her bathrobe before diving in the deep end of the pool and starting to swim lengths herself. The two of them focused on their swimming rather than stopping to chat.

     “How are you feeling today Sweetie?” Joan finally asked as they both got out of the pool and grabbed a towel to dry off.

     “I’m actually feeling a little bloated today.” Jessica admitted as she rubbed her belly. “Do you think it’s the pills making me feel this way?”

     “It could be, they do say that weight gain is a side effect of taking the female hormones.” Joan shrugged, not sure if the pill was the reason for Jessica feeling a little bloated. “I think as long as you keep swimming, that shouldn’t be much of a problem.” Joan added as she helped Jessica slip into her bathrobe.

     “Maybe I should swim more to be on the safe side?” Jessica asked as she helped Joan slip into her bathrobe before the two of them made their way back up to their rooms to get dressed ready for work.

     “I think you do enough already, but it would be wise to keep an eye on your weight, and don’t get worried if you start to fill out around the hips and bottom area.” Joan grinned as she playfully slapped Jessica on the backside.

    Jessica let out a squeal as she sped up to stop Joan having another go at slapping her backside. Joan laughed as she saw Jessica vanish into her bedroom.

*****

    Have you still not heard back from Kirstin yet?” Joan asked as they both sat eating their breakfast.

     “No, and I’m getting worried.” Jessica sounded worried as she looked at her phone like it would make Kirstin call her.

    Jessica normally got a call or a text to let her know that Kirstin had gotten back to her aunt’s house on the nights she didn’t go over to Joan’s and spend the night with Jessica, but Jessica hadn’t heard a thing from Kirstin, and when she called Kirstin’s cell phone it went straight to voice mail.

     “Maybe she’s lost her cell phone, or the battery went flat on her.” Joan tried to stop Jessica from worrying.

     “I just have this feeling something is wrong.” Jessica said as she bit her lip while trying to think of some other way to contact Kirstin.

     “You’re just worried sweetie, and it’s making you feel like something is wrong when it’s not.” Joan reached across the breakfast table and took hold of Jessica’s hand. “You’ll hear from her later, and then you will feel foolish for worrying.” Joan added with a smile.

    Jessica hoped Joan was right, so she put her cell phone down and finished her breakfast before going up to her room to finish getting ready for work.

*****

    Debbie and Dawn were both stood at reception when Jessica and Joan entered the building; they both ran over to Jessica looking worried.

     “What’s wrong?” Jessica asked when she saw the look of worry on their faces.

     “It’s Kirstin...” Debbie started to say.

     “What about Kirstin...?” Jessica asked as she felt the world beginning to fall away around her. Jessica had a million bad things that might have happened to the woman she loved flash through her mind.

     “She’s been arrested.” Debbie said.

     “She’s been what...?” Jessica asked with shock written all over her face. Out of the million things she’d thought of, Kirstin getting arrested wasn’t one of them.

     “She was arrested last night for assaulting someone.” Debbie explained.

     “Are you sure?” Joan looked puzzled. “Are you sure they have the right Kirstin?” She asked.

     “We don’t have any more details at the minute.” Dawn started to explain. “I was checking the messages left on the answer phone service just now, and I found a message from the police station saying they had Kirstin in custody and she had given our number to the police.” Dawn added.

    Jessica knew she needed to do something, so she spun around and headed back out the building, well she was until she felt Joan grab her and spin her back around to face her. “And where do you think you’re going young lady?” Joan frowned.

     “I’m going to help Kirstin.” Jessica made it sound like Joan was being stupid for asking such a silly question.

     “You are, are you?” Joan asked. “So which police station is she being held at?” Joan let Jessica go and folded her arms looking a little too smug with herself.

    Jessica went to say something, but stopped when her brain kicked in, so she just closed her mouth again. “I don’t know.” Jessica finally mumbled.

     “We need to be smart, not quick and hot headed.” Joan said as she made Jessica look her in the eyes. “We will get this sorted out, but first we need all the details.” Joan added as she pulled Jessica into a hug.

    Jessica had never been more amazed with Joan than she was right now. She watched as Joan leapt into action and had Debbie and Dawn making calls to find out all the details of the arrest and who they needed to go and see about getting Kirstin released.

*****

     “So what do we know?” Joan asked twenty minutes later when Debbie and Dawn entered her office. Joan had taken Jessica in there and sat her down on one of the sofas to await any new information.

     “Kirstin is being charged with assaulting some guy called Nathan Dorral.” Debbie said as she looked at the name on a note pad she was carrying.

     “That’s Kirstin’s area manager.” Jessica said as she jumped to her feet.

     “Is that the man Kirstin was being bothered by?” Joan asked.

     “Yes, but she said he’d gone to bother some other restaurant.” Jessica said.

     “This could be good news for Kirstin if he was coming onto her while using force.” Joan smiled. “What else do we know?” Joan asked.

     “The officer I spoke with said they were waiting to view the CCTV footage from the parking area, as well as a couple of the other businesses that had cameras pointing in the same direction as the assault took place.” Dawn said. “The officer also said there were some large holes in this Nathan’s account of what happened, and that is why they want to see the video footage before they do anymore.”

     “I’d put money on that bastard attacking Kirstin, and she was just defending herself.” Jessica said through gritted teeth.

     “Well if that is the case, then the video footage will show that, and we can get Kirstin back home in no time.” Joan said as she sat back down pulling Jessica down with her.

     “I’m not sure if this will make you feel any better Jess, but this Nathan is in hospital at the minute being treated for a dislodged testicle.” Dawn said as she tried not to laugh.

    Jessica found herself smiling as she thought of Kirstin kneeing the bastard in the groin and hearing him scream out in pain as he fell to the ground. “Serves the bastard right.” Jessica said as the smile became an evil grin.

     “Come on Jessica, let’s get to the police station and be there for Kirstin when they let her out.” Joan said as she got to her feet and pulled Jessica up.

     “How can you be so sure they will let her out so soon?” Jessica asked.

     “I know that Kirstin would only attack someone if they came at her first, and if this Nathan tried anything with Kirstin in the car park, then the police will soon have the evidence they need to arrest this Nathan Dorral and let Kirstin go.” Joan explained as she picked up her briefcase and then led Jessica out the room and through reception and out to her car.

    Jessica couldn’t help herself worrying for Kirstin being stuck in a cell at the police station, she’d spent plenty of time in them when she was Jonathan, and she just wanted to get to Kirstin and let her know everything was going to be alright.

     “She’ll be alright sweetie.” Joan said as she reached over and took hold of Jessica’s hand.

     “How can you know that?” Jessica asked. “I know what them places are like remember?”

     “I doubt they’d have put her down in a cell.” Joan smiled a sad smile. “They are more likely to put her in an interview room while they collect all the facts.”

    Jessica had a feeling that Joan seemed to know more about the legal system as regards to people being arrested than she realised. Jessica thought that Joan just dealt with property law. She was just about to ask Joan how she knew so much, but Joan pulled up outside the police station where Kirstin was being held, and all of a sudden Jessica just wanted to get out the car and go rescue her girlfriend.

    Joan led the way into the police station and Jessica had to smile when police officers stepped to the side to let the two of them enter the station and make their way over to the main desk.

     “Hello Joan...!” The officer behind the counter said when he looked up from the papers he was looking at and saw who had just stopped in front of him. “I didn’t expect to see you in a place like this again.” The officer added with a friendly smile.

     “Hello Harold.” Joan said sounding bored. “I hoped I’d never have to, but you’re holding a very close friend of mine and I’d like to get her back.” Joan added.

     “And who might this close friend be?” Harold asked.

     “Kirstin Turner.” Joan said.

     “Yes I know who you mean.” Harold said as he straightened up. “Come through the door and I’ll take you to her.” Harold added as he pushed a button under the counter and a door off to the side buzzed. Joan pushed the door and then looked over her shoulder to make sure Jessica was following.

    Harold led the two of them down a hallway and then up some stairs before taking them into a room that had a couple of sofas in them, and Kirstin was sat on one of them looking a mess as she had her hands wrapped around a mug of something hot.

     “Jess...!” Kirstin shouted as she put the mug down on the coffee table in front of her and leapt up before running to Jessica and throwing her arms around her. “Oh Jess, I’m so glad to see you.” Kirstin said as she started sobbing and shaking in Jessica’s arms.

     “Is she being charged with anything?” Joan asked as she turned to face Harold looking angry over the state Kirstin was in.

     “No, we received the CCTV footage, and it clearly shows the man attacking the young lady and her protecting herself by raising her knee and making contact with the gentleman’s groin.” Harold said as he shifted around like he could feel this other man’s pain.

     “I’d like to see the video footage.” Joan said in a flat tone that let Harold know she wasn’t messing around.

     “I don’t see why you need to see it; I just said we won’t be pursuing charges.” Harold looked confused.

     “No, but we plan to bring charges against this Nathan Dorral.” Joan growled.

     “If you take a seat, I’ll go and get the discs and bring them back up here for you to view them.” Harold sounded nervous as he quickly left the room to go get the discs.

     “The police said I’d be wasting my time if I tried to bring charges against him.” Kirstin snuffled as she let Jessica sit her down on a sofa. Jessica was soon taking the seat next to Kirstin when she pulled Jessica down like she was afraid to let go.

     “They’re just saying that hoping to have less paperwork to sort out.” Joan said as she waved off Kirstin’s worries.

     “How did that officer know who you were, and why do I get the feeling that he’s scared of you?” Jessica asked.

     “I use to be a criminal layer in a past life.” Joan sighed as she sat down on the other side of Kirstin. “And I plan to make that SOB pay for what he tried to do to you.” Joan added as she patted Kirstin on the knee.

    Harold was soon walking back into the room carrying a CD case which they all gathered had the discs in with the CCTV footage of the attack and what really happened. Harold turned on the TV and then the disc player on the shelf beneath, before he placed a disc in and then pushed a button on the remote.

    Jessica, Kirstin and Joan all watched as the screen came to life and they saw a car park full of cars and the entrance to the restaurant. Harold hit a button on the remote and the people and cars started moving really fast until there were just two cars left in the car park. They watched as they saw Kirstin making her way over to her car at a fast walk and looking over her shoulder like she was being followed.

    Kirstin had to bury her head in Jessica’s shoulder; she was too scared to keep looking because she knew what came next.

    Jessica stroked the back of Kirstin’s head while she watched a man she thought must be this Nathan Dorral come running onto the screen and slam Kirstin up against her car before he grabbed her hand and forced her to turn towards him. There was no sound, but Jessica could see him screaming something at Kirstin as he pinned her against the car with his body and then tried to pull up Kirstin’s skirt with his free hand.

     Joan was just about to say she’d seen enough when she saw the man stepping back with a pained look on his face as he fell to the ground while holding his groin. Joan smiled as she let the footage play on. Joan saw a police car turn up just after Kirstin dropped the man to the ground and she saw the man screaming something and the officers placing handcuffs on Kirstin and putting her in the back of their car.

     “How did you get to the scene so fast?” Joan asked as she looked at Harold.

     “There was a patrol car already close by, they saw the man on the ground and went to see what was going on.” Harold said sounding nervous.

     “And did the officers not think it a little odd to see a woman half that man’s size looking like she did and think it might have been an attempted rape?” Joan asked in a calm voice.

    Harold just looked like he wanted to be any place but in this room with this woman asking him questions, but he was in this room, and Joan wanted an answer. “You’ll need to speak with the arresting officers to find out why they arrested this young lady and placed her in the back of their car.” Harold finally said.

     “Did they read you your rights before they placed the handcuffs on you and then placed you in the back of the car?” Joan asked as she looked at Kirstin still clinging to Jessica.

     “I don’t remember them saying anything; they just put the cuffs on and then put me in the back of the car.” Kirstin said as she looked to be trying to remember.

    Joan turned to look at Harold when she heard him let out a groan. Joan already knew that someone was in trouble for something.

     “First you arrest the victim and treat her like the criminal, then you throw her in a cell without reading her her rights, and then someone tries to talk her out of pressing charges when it’s clear to see that she was nearly raped...!” Joan screamed at Harold. “I’m going to have a field day with this case.” Joan laughed sarcastically. “I can see people losing their jobs over this.” She added with another laugh which sounded more sarcastic than the first.

     “I’m sure it was just a simple mistake, and we can get it all sorted out.” Harold stuttered out.

     “I want copies of everything you have, and I want this Nathan Dorral arrested and charged with attempted rape...!” Joan said as she walked towards the door and then looked at Harold to take her to get this all sorted out right away. “Wait here and I’ll be right back so we can get Kirstin home.” Joan added in a much calmer tone just before she followed Harold out the room.

     “Remind me never to piss her off.” Kirstin said as she looked at the empty doorway where Joan had just been stood.

     “Yep, I know what you mean.” Jessica agreed. “But isn’t she cool?” Jessica sounded impressed with Joan and how she had this Harold running scared.

     “She’s the greatest.” Kirstin said just before she went back to resting her head on Jessica’s shoulder. “I was so scared when they put the cuffs on and then put me in the back of that police car.” Kirstin was sobbing again as the shock of it all hit her and she gripped Jessica even tighter.

     “You’re safe now baby.” Jessica said in a soothing tone as she rocked Kirstin in her arms.

    Jessica was glad to see Joan come back into the room ten minutes later because Kirstin was having trouble staying awake due to not having any sleep all night.

     “Let’s see about getting Kirstin home.” Joan said as she helped Kirstin to stand so they could walk her out to the car.

    Jessica had a million questions for Joan, but she thought they could all wait until they were safely in the car and heading for home with Kirstin.

    Once they were out at the car, Jessica got in the back with Kirstin and she placed Kirstin in the middle of the car and put her seat belt on for her before doing her own and then pulling Kirstin closer to her.

     “Do you want to take her back to our place?” Joan asked as she pulled away and filed into the other traffic on the road.

     “Please take me to my Aunty Kim’s.” Kirstin said in a pleading tone. “I don’t want to be alone right now.”

     “I’ll let Jessica stay with you sweetie.” Joan said as she looked at Kirstin in the rear view mirror.

     “I don’t want to keep Jess from work, and I just want to sleep anyway.” Kirstin said in a sleepy voice as she was fighting to stay awake.

    Joan didn’t want to upset Kirstin anymore than she had already been today, so she did as she asked and let Jessica direct her to Kirstin’s aunt Kim’s.

    Kim looked a little shocked when she answered the door to find Jessica stood there almost holding Kirstin up with another woman stood the other side doing the same. “What happened...?” Kim asked as she stepped aside and let the three of them enter the house.

     “You get Kirstin up to her room and I’ll explain what happened.” Joan said as she let Kirstin grab the handrail while Jessica guided her up the stairs to her room.

    Jessica had to battle to get Kirstin out of her clothes and into some night clothes before placing her in bed and pulling the covers up over her. Kirstin was asleep before her head touched the pillow. Jessica watched her for a couple of minutes before she leaned down and kissed her on the forehead.

    Joan was trying to calm down an angry Kim when Jessica walking into the kitchen. “How is she?”Kim asked looking worried.

     “She’s fast asleep.” Jessica said.

     “I’ll let her rest then and check on her later.” Kim said more to herself than either Joan or Jessica.

     “I’ll come back to see her later.” Jessica more asked then said. “I’ll call in and grab her car as well.” Jessica added just in case Kim tried to stop her coming round.

     “She’d like that Jess, and thank you for sorting out the car.” Kim smiled as she walked across the room and gave Jessica a hug. “I don’t want her anywhere near that place.” Kim added with anger in her voice.

    Kim walked them to the door and was just about to open it when Joan remembered something and went in her purse and pulled out Kirstin’s cell phone or more to the point what was left of it. “I think it’s beyond repair, but she can take the sim and memory card out and put them in a new phone.” Joan said as she handed the broken cell phone to Kim.

     “Thank you again.” Kim said as she looked at the smashed up phone in her hands.

     “I’ll see you later Aunty Kim.” Jessica said as she gave Kim another hug.

     “You will do kiddo.” Kim smiled at the use of her full name as an Aunty. Kim had insisted Jessica call her Aunty Kim when she found out Kirstin was calling Joan, mother.

    Jessica and Joan were soon in the car and heading back to the office. “Did you really mean everything you said back at the police station?” Jessica asked.

     “No, it was just my way of letting them know that Kirstin is going to be a hard target for them, and going after this Nathan Dorral will be a much easier target.” Joan grinned.

     “Why would Kirstin be a target? She did nothing wrong.” Jessica sounded confused.

     “Very true, but they would have still made it sound like she led this guy on and she was asking for all she got, just to save them the trouble of bringing a case against Nathan.” Joan didn’t like it, but these were the facts of life.

     “So what will happen now?” Jessica asked.

     “His solicitor will see the CCTV footage and advice him to plead guilty to attempted rape, and he will get a suspended sentence or something like that.” Joan shrugged.

     “If that’s all he’ll get, then what’s the point of going to all this trouble?” Jessica looked confused now.

     “We can make sure he ends up on a sex offender’s register which will make it hard for him to carry on his current job, and gain employment doing anything else.” Joan smiled. “And I doubt he’ll be adding to the gene pool anytime soon.” Joan added with a giggle when she thought about the image of Kirstin planting her knee in the man’s Groin.

     “True.” Jessica found herself giggling as well. “I think we can say that the swimming is really helping Kirstin.” Jessica added between giggles.

*****

    Peter and Doug were manning reception when Joan and Jessica got back to the office, and it didn’t look like Dawn had been there in some time looking at the fact both men were sat behind the reception desk taking calls and directing people to the seating area while they called the person they had come to see. Joan thought about asking them what was going on, but thought it best to go and find Debbie and ask her.

    Dawn was sat behind Jessica’s desk when she and Joan entered the outer office where Jessica worked. Jessica went to say something, but Dawn beat her to it. “I’m not trying to take your job Jess; I was just helping Deb’s out while you and Joan were out.” She explained as she got up and made her way around the desk. “Did you manage to get everything sorted out with Kirstin?” Dawn asked with hope in her voice.

     “Yes we did, and she’s at her aunt’s place resting now.” Jessica smiled. “You should have seen the way mother laid into them over what they’d done.” Jessica added with pride in her voice.

     “So what did happen?” Dawn asked eager to find out all the details.

     “If you sort out some drinks, I will grab Debbie and then Jessica and I will explain it all to you both.” Joan said just before she made her way over to Debbie’s office door and knocked.

     “I’ll help with the drinks.” Jessica said as she followed Dawn towards the kitchen.

    Joan was sat behind her desk looking through some papers when Jessica and Dawn entered the room. Dawn had opened the door and Jessica was carrying a tray of drinks in for them all. Joan joined them on the sofas and then Jessica and Joan explained what had happened and why they had arrested Kirstin for assault.

     “I wish I’d been there to see that.” Debbie sounded disappointed.

     “We have a copy of the CCTV footage if you want to see it?” Joan said as she got up and went over to her desk where she had an A4 size brown folder with copies of all the reports and the disc in it.

    Joan took a seat behind her desk and placed the disc in her computers DVD drive and waited for the other three to join her before she opened Windows media player and started playing the disc from the point where Nathan attacked Kirstin and she kneed him in the groin.

     “Way to go Kirstin...!” Debbie cheered and clapped her hands together.

     “Was Kirstin hurt?” Dawn sounded worried. “It looks like he slammed her pretty hard into her car.”

     “She was fine, just scared that she was going to prison for protecting herself.” Jessica said with anger edging her voice. “Mother managed to turn the tables though, and now we are having him charged with attempted rape.” Jessica grinned.

     “I’m going to try for assault as well.” Joan added in a matter of fact way as she stopped the disc and took it back out the machine. “Right...! Break time over; let’s see about getting back to work.” Joan said as she looked at the other three.

    Debbie looked ready to point out that she and Dawn had been working while she and Jessica were out, but she thought better of it and just left the room to return to her office while Jessica and Dawn took the dirty cups to the kitchen. Dawn offered to help Jessica sort them out, but Jessica said she could manage, so Dawn returned to reception to see what sort of mess Peter and Doug had left her desk in.

    Jessica was busy typing up some reports Joan had asked her to sort out, when she saw Dawn enter the outer office with a man in a uniform walking just behind her. It took Jessica a couple of seconds to realise the uniform belongs to someone very high up in the police force.

     “Jessica? This is Chief Superintendent White to see Mrs Green.” Dawn sounded nervous.

     “If you will please take a seat and I will go and see if she can fit you in.” Jessica tried to sound sure of herself as she got up and made her way over to Joan’s office door.

     “Do you know who I am young lady?” The man asked, sounding a little shocked that he’d just been told to take a seat and wait to see if someone would be able to see him.

     “You’re Chief Superintendent White.” Jessica said just before she knocked on Joan’s door and then entered.

    Chief Superintendent White went to say something, but Jessica had already gone into Joan’s office and closed the door. The man looked at Dawn for some sort of response, but she was already turning and returning to the reception where she could have a good laugh at the way Jessica had just shrugged off the officer’s rank.

     “There’s a police officer out there and he wants to speak with you.” Jessica said in a loud whisper, all her cool now gone. “He’s not very happy about me asking him to take a seat and wait, while I come in here and see if you have time to speak with him.” Jessica sounded a little worried as she spoke, thinking she might have done the wrong thing.

     “What rank is he?” Joan asked in a calm voice like she’d been expecting someone to turn up.

     “He said he was a Chief Superintendant White.” Jessica said as she pushed herself off the door and walked across the room so she didn’t have to keep whispering so loud that the man in the other room might hear her.

     “I bet he didn’t like it when you told him he’d have to wait?” Joan smirked.

     “You could say that.” Jessica said with a puzzled look. “You don’t seem worried that the police are here just after Kirstin was arrested and then released.” She added.

     “I’m not worried.” Joan shrugged. “I know that someone high up in the police force would be here sooner or later.” She added as she got up and walked with Jessica to her office door.

     “How did you know that...?” Jessica whispered again, due to them being at the door again.

     “Because they won’t want us making too many waves over what happened, so they have sent someone to try and calm the situation down.” Joan explained. “I’ll need you to stay out at your desk while I deal with this.” Joan added as she went to open the door, but Jessica stopped her.

     “I want to hear what he has to say.” Jessica growled. “It was my girlfriend they mistreated.”

     “I know that, and that is why I don’t want you in here when I speak to him.” Joan said in a tone that made it sound like she was talking to a small child. “Trust me to do my job. We don’t need you rubbing this Chief Superintendents back up the wrong way.” Joan smiled as she opened the door and led Jessica out before she could argue anymore.

     “Mr White? I hear you wish to have a word with me?” Joan smiled.

     “It’s Chief Superintendent White.” The man frowned.

     “So I hear, but that is such a mouth full.” Joan said as she waved off the man’s complaint. “Please step into my office and we can have a chat Mr White.” Joan added as she stepped back into her office and waited for the man to follower her in.

    The man frowned even deeper, but he did as he was told and stepped into Joan’s office. Jessica was annoyed over Joan not letting her be in there while they talked, but there was nothing she could do about that, so she went back to her desk and carried on sorting out the papers Joan had asked her to sort out.

     “That’s a sure way to break something.” Debbie said from her office door way after she watched Jessica slam her hand down on the stapler she was using to pin several sheets of paper together.

     “Go away and leave me alone.” Jessica scowled as she got another stack of papers and used just as much force to staple them together. “Hey...! Give that back...!” Jessica complained when Debbie stepped over and took the stapler off the desk and out of Jessica’s reach.

     “No, not until you calm down and stop trying to kill this poor stapler.” Debbie pouted as she stroked the stapler like it was a kitten.

    Jessica wanted to stay angry, but the sight of Debbie treating the stapler like it was a pet, just looked to funny and she found herself giggling. “I worry about you at times.” Jessica said between giggles.

     “Only some of the times?” Debbie pouted some more.

     “Okay... All the time.” Jessica rolled her eyes just before she burst out in a fit of giggles again.

     “So what’s got you so worked up that you feel the need to try killing the office equipment?” Debbie asked as she sat on the edge of Jessica’s desk and placed the stapler back down.

    Mother’s got a Chief Superintendent in her office, and she wouldn’t let me be in there while they spoke.” Jessica explained. Mother said I’d just make more trouble by saying the wrong thing.” Jessica added as she sat back in her seat and folded her arms across her chest while pouting like a small child.

     “She does have a good point Jess.” Debbie smirked as she saw the way Jessica was now acting. “Joan’s used to dealing with people like this, so let her do her thing.” Debbie sighed.

     “I thought Joan dealt with property and wills?” Jessica asked.

     “She does now, but she used to be a big name in the criminal law scene.” Debbie grinned. “She gave it all up when John her husband got sick. She took over the company, and she’s been doing this ever since.”

     “She’s never told me any of that.” Jessica said as she tried to imagine Joan in a court room like she’d seen on TV programs.

     “I’m sure there are a lot of things you still need to learn about Joan, but I can promise you that this Nathan Dorral will pay for what he tried to do to Kirstin.” Debbie leaned forward and placed a hand on Jessica’s shoulder and smiled at her.

     “Can you tell me why she was expecting someone from the police force to turn up then, and why she felt the need to upset him by refusing to use his proper title?” Jessica looked puzzled.

     “She was taking control of the playing field and letting him know she wasn’t going to be a push over.” Debbie grinned.

     “But if Kirstin has already been released without charge, then what’s the point of doing all this?” Jessica asked as she pointed towards Joan’s office door.

     “Part of it is because of the way Kirstin was treated, and another part is to make sure they don’t go easy on this Nathan. And I think she’s having a little fun with it all.” Debbie smiled.

    Jessica trusted that Joan knew what she was doing, and finding out some more information from Debbie had helped. So Jessica got back to work, and going a lot easier on the stapler this time. Debbie returned to her office when she saw that Jessica wasn’t so upset anymore.

*****

    It was another twenty minutes before Jessica saw Joan’s office door open and the Chief Superintendant and Joan step out her office. Jessica had to stop her mouth dropping open when she saw the man smiling and laughing. Jessica thought if he’d been a dog, he’d have been licking Joan’s hand while wagging his tail like he was the happiest doggy in the world.

     “Thank you for being so understanding Joan and I’ll get right on that the minute I get back to the station.” The man smiled as he placed his hat back on and turned to leave. He looked at Jessica and smiled while dipping his head before leaving the outer office.

    Jessica sat looking at the doorway while she tried to work out just what Joan had done and said to this man to make such a change from the grumpy old git she’d seen enter the room twenty minutes ago. Jessica was snapped out of her thoughts when she heard Joan speaking to her. “I’m sorry Mother.”

     “I said can you put the kettle on and sort out a drink for me please.” Joan smiled.

    Jessica jumped up and headed into the kitchen to sort out the drink, so she could get into Joan’s office and find out what this man had said to her.

    Joan was looking through some paperwork and then checking it against something on the computer screen when Jessica entered the office carrying a tray with two cups on it. Jessica had learned some time ago that whenever Joan asked for a drink, Jessica was to join her for one so they could chat.

     “I’m sorry for not letting you sit in while I spoke with Mr White.” Joan started before Jessica had time to complain. “As you could tell when he left, I have a way of wrapping them around my little finger, which would have been hard with you continuing to put his back up.”

     “What did you say to him, to make him change so much?” Jessica asked, still shocked at the difference she saw in the man.

     “Trade secrets my dear, but needless to say, he’s on our side and will not let that nasty little man get away with anything.” Joan smiled. “He’s even going to add lying to the police to the list of charges against him now as well.” Joan’s smile got even bigger.

    Jessica would have liked to know more, but she was just glad that this Nathan Dorral wasn’t going to get away with what he tried to do. “Thank you mother.” Jessica smiled as she leaned over and gave Joan a hug.

    The two of them enjoyed their drinks and then got back to work so Joan could drop Jessica off at the restaurant where Kirstin worked so she could pick up the car and drop it back at Kirstin’s aunts.

*****

    Jessica smiled when the front door opened and she saw Kirstin’s aunty Kim stood on the other side. “Hello Jessica, please come in.” Kim said as she opened the door fully and stepped aside to let Jessica enter.

    Jessica stepped into the house and let Kim close the door before she said anything. “Hi Aunty Kim.” Jessica smiled as she gave Kim a hug. “How has Kirstin been?” Jessica sounded worried and in need of going to be with Kirstin, where ever she might be in the house.

     “She’s the same as she was when you called me an hour ago.” Kim frowned just before she started grinning again.

    Jessica had been calling Kim all day to check on Kirstin, even though she’d been in bed every time she called, but Kim had gone up and checked while she had Jessica on the phone. “I’m sorry, you must be sick of hearing my voice.” Jessica sighed.

     “I don’t mind hearing your voice one little bit sweetie.” Kim said as she pulled Jessica in for another hug. “Why don’t I make us all a drink, and then you can take Kirstin’s up to her and see if she’s ready to get up yet?” Kim added as she broke the hug and led Jessica towards the kitchen.

    Jessica was soon making her way up the stairs and smiling to herself when she thought that all she seemed to do now was carry trays of drinks around. She turned her back to Kirstin’s bedroom door and used her elbow to push the door handle down before she gave the door a bump with her bottom to open it. Jessica let a smile spread across her face when she saw a sleepy Kirstin sat up in bed rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

     “Hi baby...!” Kirstin beamed when she saw it was Jessica stood in the door way. “What are you doing here at this time?” Kirstin added as she looked at the clock on her bed side cabinet, not sure what time it actually was. “Wow. I slept longer than I thought.” Kirstin laughed when she saw it was close to seven in the evening.

     “I grabbed your car from work and dropped it off.” Jessica said as she placed the tray down before handing Kirstin one of the mugs.

     “It’s still your car.” Kirstin pointed out.

     “You know what I mean.” Jessica frowned as she placed a hand on her hip. “How are you feeling now anyway?” Jessica asked with worry in her voice.

     “I keep playing it over in my mind, and I’ve had some bad dreams.” Kirstin said as she gripped the mug tighter to stop her hands shaking. “What if I wasn’t able to fight him off?” Kirstin asked with tears in her eyes.

     “You can’t keep thinking like that baby.” Jessica sat on the bed next to Kirstin and pulled her into a hug. “You were able to fight him off, and give him something to think about.” Jessica added with a giggle.

     “It’s not a laughing matter.” Kirstin pouted as she broke the hug and slapped Jessica on the arm, but she was fighting back a giggle herself. “I shouldn’t be laughing and making light of this.” Kirstin complained.

     “I’d rather see you laughing, than crying.” Jessica said with a more serious look in her eyes.

     “I can’t stop thinking that it was my fault for leading him on in some way.” Kirstin mumbled as she looked down at the quilt while tracing the pattern with her finger.

     “Now you’re just being silly...!” Jessica snapped. “How do you think you lead him on?” She asked.

     “I don’t know.” Kirstin shrugged. “Maybe the way I dressed, or the fact I was nice to him.” She added in a weak defence.

     “He was your area manager; you had to be nice to him.” Jessica started to argue. “And as for the way you were dressed, you were wearing the same sort of things the other female staff were wearing, and he didn’t try to rape any of them.”

     “I guess you’re right.” Kirstin agreed.

     “I know I’m right.” Jessica looked proud with herself. “Us girls need to stick together.” She added with a grin.

    Kirstin looked up at Jessica about to speak, but she ended up bursting out in a fit of giggles when she saw the look on Jessica’s face. Kirstin ended up throwing her arms around Jessica’s neck and hugged her.

     “Thank you for making me want to laugh.” Kirstin said when they broke the hug and Kirstin looked deep into Jessica’s eyes just before she leaned in for a kiss.

     “I’ll always be here to make you laugh.” Jessica said when they came up for air. “And I think we better see about getting you fed.” Jessica added when Kirstin’s tummy made a sound that had the pair of them looking down at her belly.

     “That sounds like a wonderful idea.” Kirstin smiled as she let Jessica help her get out of bed before the two of them made their way down to see what they could find to eat.

    Kim had some packets of food out on the kitchen table when Jessica and Kirstin arrived in the kitchen, but Kim dropped the packet she’d been reading the instructions on when she saw them enter.

     “Oh sweetheart...!” Kim said as she ran over and pulled Kirstin in for a hug. “How are you feeling?” She asked as she broke the hug and looked Kirstin in the eyes.

     “I’m still a little shook up, but I feel much better now I’ve had some sleep.” Kirstin smiled. “I’m really hungry though.” Kirstin added just after her tummy made a groaning sound which had all three of them looking down at Kirstin’s belly.

     “I was just sorting something out for us all, so take a seat and I’ll have something thrown together in no time.” Kim said as she made her way back over to the kitchen table.

     “Don’t you think I’ve suffered enough for one day Aunty...?” Kirstin asked with a whine just before she started to giggle.

    Kirstin and Jessica both knew that Kim wasn’t the best cook unless it was a cake or some other form of desert.

     “I can read instructions you know.” Kim sounded a little hurt as she held up the box she’d just picked up off the table.

     “I know you can Aunty, but that still doesn’t mean you understand what they are trying to tell you.” Kirstin smiled as she stepped over and took the box out of her auntie’s hand before leading her over to a chair and helping her to sit down. “You just sit here while Jess and I sort out something to eat.”

    Kim knew better than to try arguing with Kirstin, so she just sat back and picked up her cup of tea and took sips from it while she watched Kirstin and Jessica work on dinner.

     “Is everything alright Aunty Kim?” Jessica asked a little later when she saw Kim smiling at her while she helped Kirstin sort out dinner.

     “Everything is fine sweetie.” Kim smiled even more. “I was just watching you move around the kitchen in those heels like you’ve been doing it all your life.”

     “I can’t say I give it much thought anymore.” Jessica said as she leaned forward to look over her breasts to see her shoes.

     “Do you always wear heels?” Kim asked.

     “Whenever I can.” Jessica grinned. “I like the fact that they make me taller.”

     “You always did worry about your height.” Kim said looking thoughtful. “Sorry, I mean that Jonathan always use to worry about his height.” Kim corrected herself when she saw that Jessica was about to say something.

     “I also like the sound they make when I walk around on hard surfaces as well.” Jessica grinned.

     “I think most women feel the same way.” Kim smiled. “I also think you look so natural the way you are now, and very pretty as well.” Kim added with a chuckle when she saw Jessica start to blush.

    Kirstin and Jessica soon had the meal ready and the three of them took a seat at the kitchen table to eat.

     “What do you plan to do about going to work sweetie?” Kim asked as they ate.

     “What work?” Kirstin asked with a sarcastic laugh. “I got an email earlier today telling me that I was fired.” Kirstin explained when she saw the puzzled look on her aunt’s face.

     “Can they do that?” Kim sounded shocked.

     “Sure they can fire me if they want.” Kirstin shrugged like it wasn’t a big deal.

     “I know they can fire you, but can they just do it like that?” Kim was frowning as she asked this.

     “It was the owner’s nephew whose balls I tried to relocate.” Kirstin sounded just a little too happy as she said this. “Did you really expect them to still let me work there after that?”

     “I guess not, but I thought they might have let you work out your notice or something.” Kim said thoughtfully.

     “That would only happen if I was quitting my job and I had to work out a notice time, but they fired me, so that is pretty much it.” Kirstin explained. “Not that I would have worked off any notice, even if I had to.” Kirstin added with some anger edging her voice.

     “So what do you plan to do now?” Kim asked.

     “I’ll have to start looking for a new job, but I plan to sweet talk Jess into letting me go home with her tonight.” Kirstin said in a fake whisper.

     “I plan to say yes you can.” Jessica fake whispered back.

    Kim asked them about their dinner date from Sunday, and Jessica smiled and laughed as Kirstin told her aunt all about Jessica’s nickname at school and some of the other things she’d found out from Sam.

    Once the meal was over and Jessica and Kirstin had washed the dishes, Jessica went up to Kirstin’s room to help her pack a bag before returning to the kitchen to say goodbye to Kim.

     “I’ve packed up a slice of the chocolate cake we had for desert.” Kim said as she handed Jessica a small dub. “I thought Joan might enjoy a slice.”

     “Thank you Aunty Kim.” Jessica said as she gave Kim a hug.

    Kim waved the two of them off at the front door as she watched Jessica help Kirstin to get in the passenger seat before she got behind the wheel and drove away.

 

To Be Continued Next Monday  GRIN

 

Story by SaraUK

 

Edited and Posted by SamanthaK

    EDITORS NOTE: Please Comment and/or leave Kudos and let Sara know you like her work please, Any comments on spelling, grammar or the layout of the story please PM me “Samanthak” not Sara. Thank you

    Authors Note: Cathy, Jane and all the others that Jessica and Joan meet while down in London, are all characters I wrote about in my; You Have it all Wrong series. Even though you don’t hear about Jane’s story until book four ‘You have it all Wrong Four, the Kids Story’ the time line for this story is set between book three and book four. So to find out more about Chrissy, Amy and Cathy, and how they all became the women they are in this story, you will need to go back and read them.

    Hugs

    SaraUK

up
178 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very nice

Chapter and looks like things are heating up . I have a feeling that a certain former employer is going to regret a certain email.
my guess is the nephew lied. but I have a feeling that things are going to come out and from the sounds of it I bet he tried it on with other Women.

Matt

wow

What a great chapter. The police didn't even ask Kristen any questions about what happened. To just put handcuffs on her and slap in back of the car. And then getting a email telling her that she been fired for no reason. Joan going to have field day with this. Just hope everything works out okay. Can't wait to see jerk in jail and get sue.

I do not think this is all that rare

Of course in the US, got giving a Miranda warning could lead to dismissal of the charges. A Miranda warning is not a right but it seems pretty standard. Thing is, to arrest her just on his say so is ridiculous. They should both have been detained and have the matter sorted out before doing anything. There is more than a hint of misogyny in this matter.

an actual right

Actually per the Miranda V. Arizona United States Supreme Court ruling it is a right, not giving the warning is a violation of the suspect's 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination and right to representation. It has been upheld countless times ever since and just celebrated the 50th anniversary yesterday.

Just arresting someone doesn't trigger the warning, but a few seconds giving the warning is better than risking the suspect being freed.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

very good

very good

Joan's career choice

Wonder why she stayed in property law after her husband's death? She is pretty versatile considering Property Law is so different from criminal law. She must've been a very quick study to switch and then thrive in it.

Gene pool

Jamie Lee's picture

Men like Nathan should be guided at puberty. These AHs give other men a bad name, one which they don't deserve.

As to Kristin believing she lead him on, how? Just for treating him nicely? Or because she was dressed as was company policy? That's part of her job, to treat ALL customers nicely so they'd want to return. Dime to donuts, any server treating the customer poorly will either drive off customers or be finding a new job. And if she hadn't dressed according to company policy? She would have needed another job.

And, just because Kristin looked nice wearing the company clothing does not give any one the right to make unwanted advances.

No, the fault lies with Nathan and his uncle. Somewhere in his past, someone kept reinforcing the notion that men did what they wanted with a woman. When they wanted. Regardless whether or not that's what the woman wanted.

And because of all the reinforcement he felt as a manager that he had the RIGHT to do as he wanted. Again, giving managers a bad name, which some don't deserve.

Joan should look at the company rules and regulations concerning terminating employees. If there is something written in black and white how it should be done, and they violated those rules, Joan might be able to hang them out to dry. Which they deserve.

And one more point, those officers really screwed up. Or better yet, several officers screwed up. An arrest was made before any evidence or investigation was done. They never told her she could have a lawyer present during any questioning. And the officers are trying to cover up things. Trying to save their own.

Because one man couldn't keep it in his pants, a lot of people have been hurt. He should have been guided at puberty.

Others have feelings too.

Guided by whom though?

Some men feel that women should not be raising a boy anyways as they would grow up 'whimpy.' The French nobility during the reign of the 'Louises' were supposedly the product of too much female influence and they became fops *rolls eyes*.

But judging by all those basement dwellers that troll a lot of tech forums, misogyny among men is alive and well, no matter how much women are claimed to seem to make 'whimps' out of them by encouraging them to not pursue 'manly' professions.

Guided? No

I believe Jamie Lee meant to say gelded, as in castrated. It's possible that Kirstin might have done half the job when she kneed him in the groin after he attacked her by the car, perhaps she was lucky enough to crush/damage both?