Anchored - Part 21 "Be My Valentine"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Twenty One

 

"Be My Valentine"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Monday 5th October
 

Tammy was at a loss this morning, Hilary had advised her not to go to the office, nor to use her official laptop to do any research at home. She'd seen Hilary about half an hour after her panic call the previous morning and had been pleased to hear that the device found in her bag was not a bug.

"It may well be, however, a trojan horse designed to infect your computer with monitoring software."

"How can we check?"

"We don't, this goes back to London for analysis."

"So I wasn't bugged?"

"It doesn't seem that way, but it's wise to be cautious. I still need to check everyone else who was present, as far as I can."

Hilary declared the Smart household to be clean so took herself off to Elsie's. Tammy, however, had been told to keep clear of the Caithness Marine office before Hilary left.

"Why? You said I was clean."

"Because the Gores have declared an interest in you and may have access to other surveillance that we're not aware of."

As Pru was in the study Tammy relegated herself to her room and pulled out the coursework assignment that had been set a week earlier. She went through her work and, apart from the odd typo, couldn't find anything worth changing.

Having decided that she was done, she logged into the university portal and uploaded her work. It was barely half-past ten and she was up to date with everything. She pondered phoning a few friends but all were at work or otherwise occupied so ended up shopping online, buying things she probably didn't need.

Hilary called around midday.

"The Gores checked out of the hotel at ten and are heading South by rail."

"Any idea where they're heading?"

"Probably to their home in Birmingham, but the bug on John Gore is still active so we can track him If they head elsewhere."

"I meant to mention, Thomas the butler helped me hide that bug."

"I know."

"How?"

"Sorry, but no."

"Look, is he working for us?"

"I can't tell you, and that does not mean he is."

"Okay."

"It seems that the Gores have a bug sniffer and they found the device in Martina's and Anita's bags. As the parents didn't go to the school the other bug in Martina's room is still active. Is there any chance of getting another into her bag?"

"Perhaps, but it might have to wait until the weekend."

"Right."

"Can I come down to the office tomorrow?"

"No, I've asked the sweep team to pay you a visit just to be sure, they arrive in town tonight so expect them in the morning. They'll visit Elsie McPherson and the school."

"The school?"

"We're concerned that some information known to the Headmaster has leaked, that includes information about you."

"Is this connected to Leanne?"

"It seems someone was supplying her with information from the school but we haven't been able to identify a source."

"So you're thinking it could be a bug?"

"Or similar. I've warned Dr McIntosh and your father."

"Okay, who are we expecting?"

"Yasmin and Peter."

"I met them in May, not Jimmy this time?"

"No, he's otherwise occupied."

"Shame, he's a nice man."

"He's also married."

"I didn't mean it that way!"

 
Friday 9th October
 

Tammy was pleased that she'd reached the end of the working week without killing anyone. The sweep had taken two days with Tammy losing both of her laptops and her mobile phone for twenty four hours. Peter had needed her room for a few hours and Yasmin had Tammy's car all day Tuesday.

So she could barely communicate with the web or drive out to see anyone.

Even when she got her toys back, access to the office was still restricted, and she was not allowed to go onto the school grounds either.

As far as she was concerned, all the security checks had come up negative. The Gores had arrived at their Birmingham home on Tuesday morning and had left on Wednesday on a flight to Paris but now even the remaining tracker was inactive.

"How long is this going to go on, Hilary?"

"Until I say it's clear."

"When will that be?"

"I don't know."

"Great." Sarcasm was coming easily to Tammy.

"Look, if you were in London, you could have disappeared for a few days whilst all these checks were made, but given where we are there's limited options. So, sit tight and wait."

"I've got to go to the theatre in the morning."

"I know, Peter is there now, checking the backstage area. He was in the hotel bar earlier, checking the tables you usually use."

"This is sounding sinister."

"It is."

"But why?"

"Look, their motives and target are not clear, but clearly you're on their radar. This could simply be a fishing expedition, checking you out in case something interesting is there."

"Or?"

"The prelude to something bigger."

"My murder?"

"Unlikely, it would focus attention on Thurso and your former school. The Gores like to be invisible and a large investigation would harm their work."

"Assassination?"

"Possibly, but it's not certain."

"Then what is it?"

"They're plainly working for a client, whether that's a state entity, an NGO, a commercial body or an individual?"

"I don't know, Hilary."

"Well, that's the problem, neither do I at this time. Some of their jobs could be attributed to persons who would have benefited but there's no substantial evidence, naturally."

"So a different employer each time? Freelancers?"

"It's more likely to be a small set of regular clients, no more than a dozen or so."

"For security?"

"Yes, Tammy. They may not even interact with a client directly, but use a proxy."

"Interesting, could we identify the proxy?"

"That's being looked at, of course a proxy could be in any part of the world."

"I suspect not, if the proxy also handles the financial transactions then Europe would be sensible, Switzerland perhaps?"

"Your mother was there, wasn't she?"

"Until last November. Perhaps Dad can ask a few of his former colleagues?"

"Inadvisable, that would certainly bring attention to your family through another route."

"I was just trying to help ....."

"I know Tammy, but that doesn't mean you can't ask your father what he remembers, just not let him make any calls."

"That might mean revealing what I know about the Gores?"

"Why mention them? This is about money laundering and other criminal activities, not dinner guests."

Tammy finished the call and left the study. Their PA, Pru, had taken the day off so Tammy could have stayed in there but there was still nothing for her to do, professionally at least. She was alone in the house, which didn't help.

Her lunch was a simple salad that had been left in the fridge by the housekeeper, Zara, that morning, although eating alone was not one of her favourites either.

Her mobile rang.

"Hi Cathy, I thought you were working?"

"It's a half day at school today, I'm on my way into town and I'll be with you in twenty minutes, is your pool available?"

"Sure, I'll get the covers off."

"Oh, if it's too much trouble?"

"Not at all, I'm bored so this is a welcome break."

"Thanks, see you soon."

Her phone rang.

"Tammy, it's Tanya."

"Hi, what's up?"

"I'm bored, are you at home?"

"Yes, just about to sort out the pool, Cathy's on her way."

"Give me twenty and I'll be there!"

There was a noise from the front door, followed by Angela's appearance.

"Hi Sis, I thought you were busy until five?"

"My mentor was called away so I'm free for the rest of the day."

Tammy explained what was going on before dashing out to the former barn to turn up the eco heating and remove the pool covers. She had just about done when Cathy pulled up, closely followed by Tanya. The surprise was a third car, driven by Lori containing Jeri and Josie.

"Sorry, Tammy, I stopped by the office on my way and Lori asked where I was going. The school's got a half day for some reason."

"It's okay, Tanya, half an hour ago I was on my own bored out of my head."

Tammy darted to her room to change, Cathy was using the single cubicle poolside and the others had arrived wearing swimsuits under their outer clothes. Tammy was last in the water, Cathy swam over.

"I was hoping for a quiet chat about David's inquest."

"It's just over a week from now?"

"Indeed, another day maybe?"

"Join us for dinner next Sunday?"

"Elsie's already invited me, and you I suspect."

"That sounds just like her."

"She's clever, there may be another matter she wants to discuss as well. Did you know Helen's gone to Med for some late sun?"

"No?"

Before Tammy could find out any more, Tanya came over.

"We've set the date."

"Date?"

"Our wedding."

"Oh."

"Is that all you have to say, Tammy?"

Cathy was giggling badly, having forgotten her own reason for seeing Tammy.

"Sorry Tanya, you caught me. Congratulations of course. When and where?"

"The fourteenth of February next year, at the school."

"Feb the fourteenth? You're kidding?"

"Nope!" Tanya was beaming.

It seemed everyone in the pool now had a chance to congratulate Tanya. Soon, the serious planning had to start.

 
Saturday 10th October
 

News of the wedding had threatened to disrupt the morning's rehearsal. Tanya herself wasn't there but she was known to most, if not all, of the cast.

"Girls and Boys, Ladies and Gentlemen, we are achieving nothing today. If I can't have quiet them I shall scrub the morning."

The hum dropped and peace was restored, until Josie accidentally hit a cymbal.

"Okay, okay, perhaps we can do a full run through of the second act?"

Two hours later, with multiple interruptions, corrections and exasperations they were done.

"Thank you everyone, same time next Saturday please. I would like to do a full run through so please read those scripts!"

It was just about one in the afternoon when Tammy pulled up at the back of Sarah's shop. It was tempting to just go up the stairs and into Caithness Marine Research but Tammy suspected her door swipe would had been disabled, and Hilary had not spoken to her for twenty four hours. She walked around into the shop, surprised to find Sandy Smith, Tanya's mum, as well as a few other customers.

"I thought you'd be in the salon?"

"I do get some time off, Tammy, but there's a good reason today."

"Wedding outfit?"

"Yes, Sarah's looking through the catalogues and will lend me a few."

"Isn't Martina here?"

"The young girl? She went to the bakery a couple of minutes ago."

"Okay."

Tammy quickly made her way behind the counter.

"Hi Sarah, do you want me to serve, there's a couple of customers waiting."

"If you don't mind, I want to help Sandy myself and Martina might be a few minutes, depending on the queue for sandwiches."

Tammy put her bag down next to Martina's and dropped a small device inside it after pressing the activation button. She'd already photographed the device ID and sent the pic to Hilary.

"Okay, who's first?"

The next hour passed quickly, with Miss Gore returning at some point. By two fifteen the shop was empty.

"What was all that about?" Asked Martina.

"There's an awards dinner tonight at the golf club."

"I must have sold a dozen frocks at least, how big a deal is it?"

"It's a decent sized club so there will probably be four hundred there tonight. We use the golf club a few times a year for discos as it's one of the biggest halls in the area."

"Who does the catering, Tammy?"

"I don't know, why?"

"I fancy doing some waitressing."

Tammy called Zara.

"Yes, Miss?"

"Do you know who does the catering at Thurso Golf Club?"

"I think Caithness Services have that contract, why?"

"A girl I know is interested in waitressing."

"They don't pay too well, how old is the girl?"

"Sixteen."

"She might get twenty quid for several hours of graft, plus tips."

"I'll pass it on. Is there a contact name?"

"Ellen Dawson. I'll text you her mobile number."

"Thanks, Zara. What's for dinner?"

"You'll find out when you eat it."

Tammy waited for the text message then passed it on to Martina.

"Why do you want to do it?"

"My mum told me to make opportunities, don't sit and wait for them. It might not be much money but it'll get me known."

"True." What was the ulterior motive though?

Tammy's phone pinged again, Hilary was inviting her upstairs for a chat.

up
396 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Unprofessional slip? Or a setup?

Hillary revealing Thomas as a source is very unprofessional, IMO. But on the other hand, it is not top class personell which gets posted to the Thurso's of the world, but 2nd rate and/or out-of-favour people ....
I wonder about Tammy's grubby mitts' prints being all over the bugging devices ...

Hooray

Yay, more Tammy, I hope this means things are settling down for you Shiraz?

needed this

Alecia Snowfall's picture

I needed this. It's a pleasure to read of our favorite highland lass and her non-stop intrigue!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

We know that he is former

We know that he is former military but I have to wonder if Thomas was a commissioned officer and still subject to recall by her majesty's government when needed...like say assisting a certain agency deal with a problem that only he would be able to help take care of.

Hmm. I am starting to think that maybe Helen is a target and Tammy is being kept out of the loop to keep her at a distance and work the backside of the investigation. She nails them from one side while Hilary nails them from the other, getting caught between two interwoven investigations.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Thumb Twiddling

joannebarbarella's picture

Actually quite nice to see Tammy trying to kill time. It's a bit like that old military dictum about hours of mind-numbing boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

Now for the real fun, choosing wedding dresses.

being bugged

things are getting serious!

DogSig.png

Sniffer

Jamie Lee's picture

A sniffer isn't standard equipment for the ordinary person. So why would the Gores be carrying one? And what's on the USB drive Anita slipped Tammy? It's almost as though there's two security groups with assignments to complete. The Gores working for one and Dave's group trying to find out who the Gores are. If this is the case, wouldn't it be better for the left and right hands to shake hands and let each other on each others' assignments? That way Dave's group would be wasting resources chasing their tails.

If this isn't the case, then who are the Gores working for?

With the other ears in the pool, talking about David's inquest isn't wise. Nor can Tammy always let people know she's going away for awhile.

Others have feelings too.

Half days

Isn't it suspicious that so many people that Tammy knows had half days at once. Maybe they were all being swept?


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!