The Family Council

Printer-friendly version
The Family Council
By Daphne Xu

We were almost finished with dinner, when Dad glanced at Mom. Mom nodded her head. Dad announced, "We are going to have a family council, as soon as dinner is finished and everything's cleaned up. We'll meet in the living room."

That sounded serious. We'd never had anything like that before -- a family council?

Sure enough, after I helped Mom clean up (it being my turn) we all met in the living room: Mom, Dad, our eighteen-year-old sister Tina, myself at fourteen, and our eleven-year-old brother Dick. I was most apprehensive about what this all meant, terrified at the prospect of major changes, wondering if divorce was in the picture.

Unexpectedly, Dad turned toward Dick. "Young man, I am most disturbed to learn that, not only have you been dabbling in hypnotism, but you've actually subjected us, your own family, to its unholy influence!"

Dick said, "Honestly, Dad, I just needed the practice."

"Practice!?! You call this practice?" Dad, now all red in the face, glared down at him. "I mean, giving Tina two fourteen-year-old boyfriends, and letting your mother and I and the boys' parents not see the slightest problem with the situation?"

I looked over. Tina was sitting upright, legs firmly together, feet flat on the floor, hands folded in her lap, maintaining a poker face. She actually had a date this evening with the boys and a Playstation, at one of their houses. Most likely, she would spend the night. The boys were schoolmates and friends of mine.

"Then you made me think I was a bisexual lesbian in a threeway relationship with your mother and Uncle Charlie!"

It was now my turn to sit up straight, hands folded in my lap, legs squeezed together, feet on the floor. Uncle Charlie, as we called him although he was unrelated, was a good friend of the family, and often spent the night. This put a new perspective on things, and I didn't think I could handle sex in the same thought as Mom and Dad.

"I'm really too scared to ask what you've been doing with all those girls," continued Dad after a moment. Now that Dad mentioned it, I was scared, too. Dick had the decency to turn his face down, looking shamefaced at us out the corner of his eyes.

"But what you did with Julie really takes the cake!" Dad gestured at me. "You made her think she was a boy!"

What-the-! "Excuse me, Dad, everyone. I have to go to the bathroom." I jumped and dashed upstairs. Once in the bathroom, I lifted the toilet lid and seat, opened my fly, lowered my underpants front, pulled out my dick, and peed.

I was a boy, dammit, and my name most certainly wasn't Julie!

The End
up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ha!

erin's picture

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Subtle

It took a moment or five to sink in after reading it, but it seems to me that the actual manipulation is far less obvious than it would first appear. Well done.

Not only you!

:-)

Probably Not

Daphne Xu's picture

While I do have a number of ideas for a story (or stories) of an 11yo boy hypnotizing his family, they'll probably be unrelated to this. I just meant this as humorous flash posing the issue, just who was hypnotized, at least as a punch line.

A commenter called it "subtle". Interesting. I usually don't do subtle very well. Usually subtle as a blow on the head.

It was most flattering that the Big Boss herself commented. :-)

-- Daphne Xu

I'd say the setup for the

I'd say the setup for the punchline was subtle as there was no indication that the narrator was a boy or girl and the father wouldn't be aware of the fact that he himself was hypnotized...

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

And then there's the

And then there's the apparently careful lack of pronouns when referring to Dad....

Dad and Pronouns

Daphne Xu's picture

"... the apparently careful lack of pronouns when referring to Dad"? It could be, or it could have been a freak accident, completely unnoticed by me until you mentioned it. I ain't sayin'. :-P

-- Daphne Xu

Funny

Beoca's picture

It appears the illusions behind all this were more effective than the father might think. More backstory would be interesting - a prequel, maybe?

He didn't do that.

Daphne Xu's picture

Dick made Dad (and possibly the rest of the family, but not the narrator) think that the narrator was a girl. He really was a boy. Also a bit of "Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking" was involved in that last naughty act.

-- Daphne Xu

Umm...

Beoca's picture

The punishment may be needed, but not for that - you are accusing him of something that he quite clearly did not do (at least with regards to the narrator).

Thinking About It

Daphne Xu's picture

Now that I think about it, I think Ms. Colleen was joking. Sometimes it's hard to decipher on the internet whether one is serious or not. Zeroing in on the least of the sins -- and the one that didn't occur. (Although, who knows if the others occurred...)

-- Daphne Xu

I was joking

it missed the mark, I guess.

DogSig.png

Good one!

I like your style.

Well done

It was subtle. Like it.

Joanna

Really nice setup

Jamie Lee's picture

Boy, Dick really did a number on that family. Especially dad.

The setup in the story was great, and punctuated when "not Julie" went to the bathroom to pee. Seems the only one who can straighten out Dick is "not Julie." He seems to be the only one who knows his true gender.

Nicely done.

Others have feelings too.

Thanks.

Daphne Xu's picture

Yeah, it appears that Dick was quite a dick. (The meaningful name was deliberate, in this case.)

Of course, with mind-control and hypnotism involved, we don't really know what's happening.

-- Daphne Xu

Subtle

C.A.T.'s picture

I didn't notice who the actual narrator was until the very end, bravo. I really should be more observant while reading...

Insert amazing quote here.

Great!

Well set-up and played. Had to reread the whole thing just to revel in the "tell".
Thanks,
Kay

Dazed and confused

I'm still not sure what the real situation is with 'dad.'

Are you and Bru having a contest?

No contest

Just great minds thinking alike I guess :)
I'm surprised that you haven't discovered Daphne Xu earlier. On the other hand you can enjoy all of stories in one binge now.

Bru

Daphne

I have read some of her stories, but forget some of the endings. I gother to be surprised again.

As in...

Daphne Xu's picture

...trying to out-twist the other? I agree with Bru's answer.

-- Daphne Xu

Could be a double gotchu

BarbieLee's picture

She might be thinking boy when she's really a girl. All that hypnotism spread around, reality got messed up. Daphne has been teaching Bru or has Bru been teaching her? And where do both of these people live? Could it be Belview?
hugs Daphne
always
Barb
Life is too short to take seriously. Have fun with it. I do.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Could be

Daphne Xu's picture

Could be (in a slight psycho voice).

-- Daphne Xu

Wow

Hypnotism is hard to keep track of what you've done. Come on Dick don't be your own name :P

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Stuck

Daphne Xu's picture

I am stuck on a much longer story based on this. I've decided to change Dick's name; I've decided I don't care for it as a meaningful name.

-- Daphne Xu

After re-read

After re-read and another re-read I can say I don't know who's who in this story. With hypnosis involved everyone could be anything even a coat rack in the hall.

I suspect

that this exactly what Daphne intended. To make us unsure of what we "know" and what we believe.

Jotted

Daphne Xu's picture

Thanks, QModo. I jotted down a couple of ideas for the surround-quel from your comment. I've already incorporated an idea suggested by one commenter.

I wrote and posted this over four years ago, so I can't really say what I intended precisely. I certainly didn't intend to gaslight the reader, or anything like that. I also intended everything Dad accused Dick of, as being correct until the punchline. But of course, they could all be false. For that matter, maybe Julie was deluded into thinking that having a dick made her a boy, and thinking she had a boy's name.

Or maybe he ultimately gives up the idea, in the face of persistent denial, that having a dick proved he was a boy.

The reader is welcome to take out of the story anything she takes -- I avoided using "chooses" because it may not be voluntary.

-- Daphne Xu