Family Secrets, Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Family Secrets
Chapter 4

by:
Drakira

Mikaela Vance has returned home after an eventful first semester at Ravencrest. But, will she get a well-deserved rest there? Or is there something laying in wait?

RavenWolf.jpg


Disclaimer:
~Big thanks to Enemyoffun for making this universe to play in, and to all my beta readers for helping me hammer out some of the details in this chapter.
Author's Note: Here's chapter 4. I hope you all enjoy what I have come up with as the story continues with some interesting plot threads being revealed.
Please feel free to comment on this, as I always enjoy reading your comments and learning from them immensely.

Chapter 4

December 17, 2011

After a few minutes into the drive through the hills, watching the residential countryside go by, I began to think about growing up in the area. These very hills that we were driving over now, I used to ride my bicycle up and down when wanting to visit my friends in the area. It proved to be a good workout, especially on those steep ones. I always felt a bit winded after climbing some of those hills, and now, I wonder if I would still be a bit winded.

John pulled up to his family's large home and property a few minutes later, snapping me from my reverie. John's family lived in a large two-story house, with many rooms. It reminded me a bit of a small manor. However, their property was very extensive, with it actually making its way all the way to the Calaveras River. I was definitely sure that his family intentionally looked for a large piece of property, to help with their Were nature. Especially after what I knew now about Weres and some of their habits.

When John and I were kids, we would have a lot of fun exploring the property and playing all sorts of games. That died out when we hit middle school, although we went camping at the lakes to take its place.

After John pulled up the driveway, I immediately noticed his mother exiting the household. Cynthia Quinn truly was a force to reckon with, almost nothing got past her. Reminded me a bit of someone back in Ravencrest, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

“I guess we have to reintroduce you to my mother off the bat,” John commented.

“Yeah,” I agreed, resignedly.

After pulling the vehicle around so that he could get back out the driveway with ease, we climbed out of the car and walked over to Cynthia. From what I could tell, she didn't look too happy with her son.

“Took you long enough to get home,” she sternly told him, her hands on her hips. “Did you find out about the new Were in the area? And who is this other girl that you brought with you?”

“I'm sorry, Mom,” he replied, looking apologetic. “However, I did do as you asked. I did find the new Were in the area.”

He looked at me and continued, “This is the new Were, Mikaela.”

Cynthia cocked her head, and I could see her eyes look me over, trying to assess whether or not I was friend of foe. I could see her nose twitch as she continued her stare into me.

I decided to break the ice, “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Quinn.”

I headed over and reached out my hand for her to shake. She took it in hers and proceeded to shake my hand in greeting, for a few seconds. She suddenly yanked me closer to her and took in a big whiff, smelling me. She also grabbed me by the arms and held on tight. Seemed that some of the Weres that I have encountered loved to use the old sniff test to determine friend or foe.

“Hmm...,” she commented, “you seem familiar. Very familiar.”

She took another look at me, inspecting me from what it appeared.

“You look and smell like I know you from some place. As if I've already met you, but yet haven't.”

“Uhmm...,” I replied, trying to feign ignorance. “I don't know why that would be. I mean, I am new in town and everything.”

She gave me a definite Coyote smile, one that read, “Don't try to trick a trickster, young lady.” She then said, “Oh, I think you do know why.”

She let out a soft growl, one that I'm sure only a Were could pick up on and that told me that I better not mess around. She also tightened the grip on my arm. “So, are you going to tell me then?”

I groaned; I'd guess I better get this one over with too.

“My name is Mikaela Vance,” I admitted.

She looked a little puzzled. “Diana Vance has no daughter, only a son who—, Michael?”

She stared at me in disbelief, as if I there was no way I she believed what her senses were telling her.

Wow, that didn't take her long to figure out. I nodded. “Yeah, it's me.”

She let go of me, and took a step back. Looking me up and down, and then walked around me to complete her next examination of me. The look on her face shifted from disbelief to examination.

“My, my, my. Did you tangle with the wrong witch or something?”

I grumbled. Was I going to have to tell the story to everyone I met around here? “It's a long story, but it doesn't involve anything like that.”

“Well, then you can tell me all about it over a nice snack.”

She turned and led the three of us into the house, while John walked over and whispered into my ear, “Sorry about that, dude.”

I sighed deeply and replied, “Don't worry about it.”

-----------------------------------------------------

After a good snack and the short version of what had happened to me, Cynthia seemed to have accepted the new me. She did have many questions for me, of course. I tried my best to answer them, but I didn't tell her everything. I thought the method of how I became Mikaela should be kept a closely-guarded family secret.

She was especially curious about what happened regarding the Harpers over there, as she did hear about all the craziness that occurred in her family. Especially with what happened to Cindy. She asked me if that was also how I changed, to which I positively said no. I did know that my change and Cindy's were caused by two different events under a different set of circumstances, and reassured her of that fact.

“Well,” she said, after I filled her in on what happened to Cindy Harper, “I've never heard of Weres going through their change with genders going along with it until now. How are you adjusting to the new you’s?”

“Alright, for the most part,” I answered. “I think I've adapted to it. There's only a few key differences, but I think I've gotten the hang of them.”

“Good for you,” Cynthia replied, approving of my adapting. She turned to John and asked, “Where are your brothers? Shouldn't they be here for this?”

“They're each at a friend's house right now. And I don't think it would be a good idea for them to know that Mikaela was my old friend, Michael, at one point, especially when they haven't undergone their own Change yet.”

She rocked her head gently around as she mulled over the wisdom in that action. Finally, after a few more seconds, she agreed. John had two younger brothers, Joseph and Jeremy. Both of them hadn't already gone their respective changes, and both of them played on the high school's varsity football team. Jeremy was their wide receiver, while Joseph was their defensive back. John would often throw the football around as the quarterback to help them practice their routes against each other.

Cynthia turned back to me, and asked, “So, are you looking forward to a nice relaxing winter break?”

I nodded, and replied, “After the crazy first semester in Ravencrest, I'm definitely ready for a break. Whether or not it will be relaxing? I can only hope.”

“I'd imagine so. Harnessing your new abilities, the gender flip, and that brief adventure you had. It would definitely take a lot out of you.”

I nodded in agreement. Cynthia was about to say something else, when my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID and excused myself from the room. When I got to the hallway, I answered my phone, “Hi, Mom. What's up?”

“Just seeing how you're doing, sweetie,” she answered. I could tell that she was either fishing, or being hesitant on something. The tone of her voice definitely implied it.

“Mom, what’s up?” I asked, a little more forcefully. “You didn't call me just to check up on me.”

“Well...,” she drifted.

“Well, what?”

“Remember that one girl who you said used to follow you around like a lost puppy?”

“Yeah?”

“She just came over demanding to see you.”

“Okay.... But, didn't you tell her that Michael was staying in New York due to bad weather?” I replied, bringing up the cover story that my mother and I agreed upon.

“I did. But, she already knew you were here somehow.”

I groaned. Could this get any worse? Wait, don't think that. It always can.

“Is she still there?”

“I don't think so. She left in her car just before I called you.”

“Hopefully, she took off for now.”

“One can only hope.”

“Is she Unseen, too?”

“I haven't the foggiest.”

“I'll be home in a little bit.”

“You don't have to rush home on her account!”

“I know that,” I replied, sounding a bit exacerbated. “But, I want to be over there in case she decides to harass us again tonight.”

“Oh, alright,” my mother relented. “Maybe your other Were senses can pick up something my nose couldn't.”

“I don't know about that. I'm not even sure what the bleedthrough senses are for that.”

“Then it may just be your instincts will pick up on something that mine couldn't.”

“Eh, we'll see.”

“I'll see you in a little bit then, Mikaela.”

“Bye, Mom.”

I hung up my cell and pocketed it.

“Trouble?” John asked, when I returned to the living room.

“Yeah...,” I replied. “She knows I'm here in town.”

He groaned and dropped his head. “How?”

“I don't know. Mom wants me to head home, just in case.”

“And what do you think that will do?”

“I don't know. I guess we'll just have to play it by ear.”

“Alright then. I'll take you back over there,” John said, standing back up and fishing his car keys out of his pocket.

His mother stood up and said, “Well, it was nice to see the new you. And thank you for the news about my own family back east.”

“It was nothing, Cynthia.”

She came over and gave me a farewell hug, “I hope to see you again soon, and not after another trip home, got it?”

“I’ll do my best.”

“Remember, you are still always welcome here.”

I smiled after she said that.

Soon afterwards, the three of us were off in John's car, careening through the hilly back roads to my house, while Cynthia returned to take care of some housework.

--------------------------------------------------------------

We got back to my house a few minutes later. I asked John to park across the street, so that I could assess the situation. Marilyn and John both voiced their objections and wonder at my statement. But, my experiences in Ravencrest had taught me to be cautious when walking into unknown scenarios.

To my satisfaction, my cautious approach paid off. I still saw the girl that had a super crush on me in high school. John and Marilyn both noticed her, too, as I watched from the passenger's seat.

“I guess you were right,” John admitted. “Crystal seems to be trying to break the door down, or something.”

“Yeah,” Marilyn agreed, “what are you going to do now?”

I had already began climbing out of the car, before I said, “I'm going to get to the bottom of this.”

“How?” Marilyn asked, watching me.

I crouched behind the car, using it as a shield between me and my mother's house. Quickly, I transformed into a raven and flew in the opposite direction, before circling around to the back of the house.

It felt exhilarating to be in the air again. Flying around and watching everything taking place on the ground below always seemed to feel so natural to me, much like running around as a wolf did. I wondered for a moment if this was how all Weres felt when they were in their animal form. Then I realized, they probably did since the animal was as much a part of them as their human self.

I flew in a slow, steady circle above my mother's house. I could see Crystal pounding on the door and shouting for my mother to open up.

What drove this woman? No, girl. She may have the body of young woman, but she was acting like a spoiled brat. She seemed to be obsessed with my former self. Thankfully, she and her parents couldn't afford to send her to Ravencrest. Not that she didn't try applying for every scholarship that they offered to try to follow me to college.

I did have to admit, she did look nice though. A nice slim body, with just enough curves, and a very, pretty smile. Her physique helped her out when she was on the swim team, where she could be counted on to help earn enough points in the various races to help win the match. Even though, she wasn't the fastest swimmer on the team at times. I might've asked her on a date, if she wasn't so hyped up all the time and downright obsessed with me.

“C'mon, Mrs. Vance! Open up! I know Michael's home again!” she shouted, pounding on the front door. It was a wonder that it didn't have a large dent in it yet.

“He's not here!” my mother fired back. “Please just leave or I'll call the Sheriff's!”

Landing on a branch from a tree that gave a front row seat to the action, I observed what was going on down there. Many questions raced through my head. Most notably, why was she still obsessed with my former self, and why was she so adamant about trying to get together.

“Mrs. Vance, please! Just let me talk to him! I need to talk to him!”

“Mom! Where's my phone?” my mother shouted to my grandmother.

Sounded like things were starting to come to a head. Maybe I should move into position to act?

“Please!” Crystal shouted. “If you won't let me talk to him, then at least let me talk to you!”

I cocked my head in surprise. That was a different tactic for her. Usually she was so overpowering that it was difficult for you to get away from her grasp. Now, she was trying something totally different.

From my vantage point, I was able to see everything going on down there. I saw my mom open the front door and come part way out the door, with her hand ready to close it quickly if need be. She quickly said, and to the point, “Start talking. Now.”

“I need to see Michael, and soon,” she started.

“If this is just another repeat of what you been shouting at me through the door,” my mother cautioned.

“It's not!” she quickly rebutted.

“Then what is it?”

“He's in danger from someone.”

“Really?” my mother scoffed. “Is that the best you can come up with?”

“I'm serious! I'm concerned for him, and always have been.”

“Why? Why are you so concerned for my son?”

“I just am, all right! Anyway, that's not the point here!”

“Then explain this so-called danger my son is in,” my mother answered, crossing her arms and starting to look very impatient.

“Someone if after him. He's in possession of something that they desperately want. I'm not sure on many of the specifics, but that's what I know.”

“And how do you know this?”

“Just a feeling, Mrs. Vance. A very deep gut feeling.”

My mother still looked very skeptical. “I'll let him know. And if you come across these specifics, please tell me first. Got it?”

“Yes, ma'am,” Crystal answered, looking put in her place.

I watched as she turned to leave, heading for her small blue car, parked nearby. A few minutes after she started up her car and drove off, I flew down to the front door, where my mother was waiting.

I cawed at her, getting her attention. My mom looked back in the house, as if she was talking to her mother. However, her eyes looked at me and asked, “I take it you heard all of that?”

I cawed once more to let her know that I did. She went back inside the house, leaving the door open long enough for me to enter, under the guise of letting John and Marilyn back in the house, who had made their way over after Crystal had left.

My friends hung out near the front door, while my mother went to go lean on the couch. I flew over and landed near my mother on the couch and shifted back to my human form.

“What do you think?” I asked.

“She's up to something,” Mom answered. “As to what?”

She cocked her head in wonder. I looked over at John and Marilyn and asked them the same question.

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” John replied.

“I thought her warnings sound genuine,” Marilyn added.

“Genuine?” I scoffed, getting to my feet.

I paced around and then replied, slashing the air in front of me with my right hand to stress the point, “That girl has been nothing but trouble for me in high school. I'm sure she meant well, but she caused nothing but trouble it seemed.”

“Trouble? How?” Marilyn asked. “All I remember was her following you around everywhere like a lost puppy.”

“That was part of the problem. Everything that I did seemed like it was always under her watchful gaze. I had virtually no privacy at school when she was around.”

“Well, no one really has privacy in high school,” John countered.

“We do in our lockers,” I fired back.

“What did she do?” Marilyn asked.

“She used to leave all kinds of things in my locker, and even took a few things out that I didn't want to get out into the student rumor mill.”
John groaned as the memory of what had happened surfaced. “The notebook.”

“Right.”

“What was in the--?” Marilyn asked, and then she recalled. “One of your personal story notebooks.”

“Yeah. I was so embarrassed when she took one of my short stories and had it published in the school paper. But, that wasn't the worst of it. She altered the text of the story to reflect her own twisted vision.

“And I became the laughing stock of the whole school, since she left the by line intact.”

“It did blow over, eventually,” Marilyn replied.

“After a very long period of time,” I bitterly stated.

“Is she even an Unseen?” Mom asked them. “Maybe that could explain some of her strange behavior, which is even strange for a general stalker-type of person.”

“I have no clue,” John replied. “I do know, that she's not a member of any of the Were families around here though.”

Marilyn simply shook her head no.

“Do you know anyone who could tell us?” I asked.

John looked over at Marilyn, who sighed deeply. “Yes,” she answered. “But, the only way to find out is to talk with them directly.”

“Fine. I'll do talk to them now.”

“You can't now,” she answered.

“Why not?”

“Well, the person who knows about the Unseen in the area is a creature of unusual habits, sometimes.”

“Go on,” I prompted.

“He's the resident mystic of the town, although some consider him to be a strange hermit. Also, he only emerges from his forest dwelling under the light of the moon.”

“Then how does he get supplies or other things, if he only comes out at night?”

“We're not sure. All we know is that he moves in mysterious ways. But, is extremely knowledgeable about everything going on in the area.”

“Is he an Unseen?”

“I think so, but am not sure. However, I do know where to go, if you really want to talk to him.”

I nodded. “I need some answers. And, I need to know if I am actually in any kind of danger here.”

“You’re just being paranoid,” John replied, trying to dismiss Crystal’s concerns. “You know how she can get sometimes.”

“I do know how she can get. But, am I really being that paranoid? After everything that I’ve already been through?”

“Uhm…,” he said, looking a bit sheepish.

“If there’s even the slightest chance that I’m in any danger, I need to know. Now.”

“All right then,” John replied, backing off.

“When do we go?” I asked Marilyn.

“Tomorrow night,” she answered.

up
211 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice to see

another chapter of this interesting story, things seem to be getting there and a few things in the back ground seems like the person after the lore keepers is still after them and I have a feeling that a certain item of jewellery means a lot mot than a marking of station.
Matt

That piece of jewelry

Drakira's picture

That seems to be the general trend for Mikaela, doesn't it? I wonder why everyone is so hyped up about just a charm bracelet with a few magic tricks. Or is there something else that I'm not saying? ;)

Time will tell as the story unfolds.

Drakira

Only just found this

Podracer's picture

story line, and liked it enough to spend all afternoon catching up through "Tell me your secrets". I was sure that Mikaela would catch and comment on the "he's in possession of something.." part.
Watching out now for the next thrilling episode :)

"Reach for the sun."

Secrets

Drakira's picture

I'm glad you enjoyed "Tell Me Your Secrets" and what I've released and written so far of "Family Secrets." :)
And yes, Mikaela's ears did perk up when Crystal said that.

Drakira

good chapter

but has john's brothers gone through the change or not? you stated it both ways. looking forward to the next chapter, thanks

Good catch!

Drakira's picture

Thanks for the catch! To clarify, they both haven't gone through it yet. I will make the necessary edit.

Drakira

Darn!! Caught up again.

Darn!! Caught up again..Wonder what type of unseen Crystal is??

alissa

I know the feeling.

Drakira's picture

I know the feeling of getting caught up in a story and eagerly awaiting the next part. I am currently working on chapter 5.

Also, is Crystal an Unseen? I think I was ambiguous on that point. But, one way or the other, that will be revealed in due course of time.

Drakira

back again

Nice to see you doing this again does this mean that your going to finish "tell me your secrets"

Bracelet

I wonder if it’s about the bracelet again.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna