Anchored - Part 29 "Father & Daughter"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
 
Twenty Nine

 

"Father and Daughter"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Wednesday 28th October 2015
 

"I'm concerned, Tammy, the whole thing stinks."

Richard had sat with Tammy in the study, Pru hadn't yet arrived and Richard was in no hurry to go anywhere having heard his daughter's summary of the past few days.

"Dad, I know something doesn't feel right, but Hilary told me last night that she thinks it's worth making one trip to Lausanne."

"When?"

"Next Tuesday, returning on Friday."

"Don't you think the timing is something to be considered?"

"Timing?"

"The court cases?"

"Oh!"

"I know you haven't been notified of any court dates but if you aren't available to appear, whether in person or by video, then several of the cases could collapse. The defence would insist you be there even if the prosecution doesn't feel it's necessary. How would you feel if Yvonne got off?"

"She couldn't? It's Cathy's case!"

"No, Tammy, it's everything she's been doing for the past year or even longer, but David's murder won't come to trial for months. You simply can't afford to be out of town."

"Would the Lavoska sisters know this?"

"Penny said she'd researched you, last week's local paper included a report on some of the trials."

"Damn."

"So, Tammy, is this just a co-incidence?"

"I can't be sure."

"Exactly. You'll have to put them off until the trials are over, that could be Christmas or even the new year."

"That long?"

"They're complex cases and you can be certain the defence will try every avenue. Jeremiah has told you the barristers were still arguing about technicalities, it's possible that the juries won't be sworn in before Monday, that's November."

"So I have to politely decline on the basis that I haven't got a clue what I'm doing for the rest of the year?"

"That's about it."

"Okay, Dad."

"Plainly, if Penny and Paula just accept this reasoning then either they are being very forgiving or there's a deeper issue. Perhaps their real interest is Caithness Marine?"

"So it's a counter-espionage operation?"

"You've seen too many spy films, think about it, what is an apparent intelligence outpost doing in Thurso? What's the target?"

"I don't know."

"Oh, come on Tammy, you could be the target."

"Me?"

"Look how many operations you have been involved in, whether on the fringes or in the centre? Is the entire existence of Caithness Marine there to keep tabs on you or even to lay a false trail?"

"So it's hiding another operation somewhere else?"

"Tammy, these are just guesses, but you've been involved in some pretty dangerous things."

"So is Hilary there to protect me?"

"Have you seen her doing anything that looks like protective duty?"

"No, not like Louise did when she was around in January."

"So, is it a full intelligence office with just one member of staff and a partially trained intern?"

"It can't be, I'd also call it an outpost, but think about it, wouldn't it would attract more attention if there were even just four staff there?"

"It's another consideration, but what we don't have here are firm answers, or is the problem that we don't even know what questions to ask?"

"I don't know, Dad, I just don't know."

"Then seek advice, but don't agree to anything, nothing. You have to stall everyone, the genuine ones will accept that you need time to recharge your batteries. Those with ulterior concerns will try to pressure you."

"Maybe I need the phone number of the nearest convent?"

Pru arrived so the father and daughter meeting dissipated. Tammy made her escape, arriving at the shop just a few minutes before nine. She'd barely got the lights on when Paula Lavoska was at the door.

"I'm just leaving town, Tammy, Penny left an hour ago. Can you let Sarah know that I'll give her a call in a few days."

"Sure."

"Penny would appreciate a call, as well."

"Of course, have a good trip."

Tammy took her phone and called the Doctor's number, grabbing an appointment for two o'clock. She'd had already decided that she would close at lunchtime, Wednesday afternoon was never busy and Sarah often used it to do her own shopping. The morning, however, was good as more ladies wandered in looking for frocks. Fleur made an appearance just before midday.

"Sorry I disappeared yesterday but I saw my mother heading past so I decided to go in the opposite direction."

"Home?"

"Yes, you looked like you were going to be busy for a while."

"I was, but didn't sell as much as I expected. Can you put the kettle on, I haven't had a coffee since breakfast!"

Some of the displays needed tidying and there were a few items in the changing room that needed to go back. Tammy was occupied long enough for Fleur to finish making their drinks.

"Thanks, I need this."

"You look a bit tired today, Tammy."

"It's been a busy few days, I need a break."

"Why are you working here, anyway?"

"The owner is away, I've been a Saturday girl for over a year, but I've been busy with the theatre most recent weekends. She trusts me to look after the store plus I know the regulars."

"I guess you get discounts?"

"We don't worry about things like that."

Tammy could tell that Fleur was fishing for a bargain, but Sarah seldom offered discounts and Tammy wasn't about to change that. Fortunately a customer needed her help.

"Hello Mrs McIntosh."

"Hello Tammy, please call me Anne, you're no longer at school!"

"Of course, Anne, now how can I help you?"

"I need a long black skirt, for Friday."

"I see, I'll have a look in the back."

Tammy was thankful for this interruption, Fleur would likely get bored. However it had reminded Tammy that she needed appropriate clothing for David's funeral. She found a maxi length lined black cotton skirt, and another in polyester.

"These are the only black maxi length skirts out there, you're a size 14 aren't you Anne?"

"Yes, but good job no-one else was here."

She handled the skirts, before taking them both into the change room. Tammy's quick look around the store confirmed that Fleur had gone, it was just before one.

"I'll take the cotton skirt."

"I think I'll take the other one for myself, I have a black jacket and I think a cream blouse would work."

"Yes, keep it simple."

Tammy locked the shop up ten minutes later, asking that Anne supervised Tammy's own purchase. Her first stop, after dropping the skirt in her car, was to see Hilary.

"I'm telling Miss Lavoska that I'm not available."

"It'll be a missed opportunity."

"For whom, Hilary? I'm not going to dash off to Switzerland just to have a peek around when I have better things to do here."

"Like what?"

"Taking some time out to work on my studies, whilst also being available as a witness in four separate trials."

"I see."

"I hope so, as I doubt I'll be available for much before Christmas."

"I suppose that means you're not available for a trip to Cornwall in December?"

"Please don't tease me, Hilary, I'm involved in the theatre until mid December and I'd like a quiet Christmas with my family. It's going to be Elsie's last Christmas too, I just pray she's still with us."

"I'll suggest, then, that you take a three month sabbatical."

"Fine."

"I'll send you a link to the form, fill it in and submit it to Jenny."

"Okay, thanks."

"I might have to shut down this office anyway for a little while, I haven't had a break of my own for a while."

"Fair enough, can I tell that to anyone, if they ask?"

"Yes, that's okay. Now, get going as you have an appointment with the Doctor."

"I won't miss all this spying."

"What spying, Tammy? This is a legitimate research bureau!"

---

"Now, Tammy, you've put on some weight and your blood pressure is higher than normal. You're also a little pale, are you still taking those iron tablets?"

"I used them all up."

"I'll do you a prescription for another load, and don't stop unless I tell you to. You also need to ease up, you've got too much on your plate."

"Who says so?"

"Your mum, amongst others."

"I thought you couldn't discuss my medical record with anyone else?"

"Of course I can't, but that doesn't mean I can't listen when everyone's singing the same song."

"So I'm overdoing it?"

"That's the consensus."

"Well I backed out of one thing today and I'm taking a sabbatical from my intern position."

"Well that's a start."

"A start?"

"If your blood pressure doesn't come down by next Wednesday then I'm telling the theatre you're not fit to be there."

"They'll ignore it."

"No they won't, you wouldn't be covered by insurance. The same goes for the university."

"You're serious?"

"Too damn right I am, Miss Smart, you've been dashing everywhere for everyone else and my guess is there's not much 'me' time?"

"Not much, no."

"So, take some time out."

"I'm working tomorrow, I can't get out of that."

"Where?"

"The shop, Sarah should be out of hospital today or tomorrow and Emily is looking after it Friday."

"Sarah was discharged just before twelve, I've been sent her discharge papers. There is no way she is going near that shop for another week."

"I'm at uni on Monday, so I'll have to cover for her the rest of the week?"

"No, and I'll tell her the same. She'll have to arrange some other cover, right now I am signing you off, unfit due to exhaustion and high blood pressure. We'll review in seven days."

Tammy left the surgery clutching to sheets of paper. She first went to the pharmacy to collect her iron pills before heading home.

"Hello Penny?"

"Oh, Hi Tammy, are you all sorted?"

"No, sorry, my GP just signed me off."

"Oh, did she?"

"Yes, for a week but with a threat of much longer. I'm afraid I'm not as fit as I should be."

"Never mind dear, what about your little job with the marine folk?"

"I'm taking a sabbatical and the lady there is taking some leave so it's being closed down temporarily."

"That's a shame. I've got another call, got to go, bye Tammy."

Once inside Tammy handed the sick note to Pru and asked her to deal with it before taking herself up to her room. She showered, then climbed into bed.

Her father put his head around the door at seven.

"Are you hungry?"

"No, but I could do with some iced water."

"Your mum wanted to have a go at you for not listening to her advice."

"I wouldn't get anything done if I listened to everything she says."

"That's an exaggeration, but so was much of what she said. Look, we're concerned. You need to take a time out."

"I'm doing nothing with Caithness Marine before the end of January. Dr Adi won't let me help Sarah out and if my BP isn't down by next Weds I won't be doing anything else at all."

"Then use the next week to recharge yourself, do some reading, have a swim, visit Elsie. If you want to sit in bed all day tomorrow then fine, so long as it's helping your recovery."

"You'll handle mum?"

"For now, but I have my limits, Tammy."

"Yes, Dad, love you."

"I love you too. Louise arrives tomorrow."

up
413 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

*sniffs*

Alecia Snowfall's picture

*sniffs* I smell traps being set. Everybody was too quick to agree. Louise needs to hurry along.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

It's not the quick agreement,

It's not the quick agreement, it's the questions asked after she talked with them...one has the response of a boss and the other of someone looking for something.

I think this could be the start of something big and Tammy is definitely at the center of it all.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

It's True

joannebarbarella's picture

Tammy needs to relax a little. She won't of course, because circumstances won't let her.

taking time off

I hope she can relax a bit.

DogSig.png

Shucky darn

Jamie Lee's picture

Wow, talk about rats abandoning a sinking ship! Tammy tells people, "sorry, I've been ordered by my GP to take time off," and everyone bails.

Penny had another call, yeah right, pull the other one! Hilary is taking a vacation, yeah right, pull the only one left! And Louise is coming!

Tammy was Yvonne's target when Louise was there last time. The flat above the shop is renovated and Dave's group moves in under a legitimate business; there'd be no reason to wire a business as that one was wired. Or Tammy's car for that matter. That's high security.

Louise is coming for personal protection, despite what anyone says. Penny lost interest the minute Tammy to time away from the marine research business. There wouldn't be a need to close a business just because a helper took off.

Tammy is the target! Why is yet to be determined. Hilary, Tammy's car and all the rest is meant to protect Tammy. There were side problems which Tammy was used to flush out.

The Headmaster knows what's going on, as does Elsie. Richard knows more than he's allowed to say, but Joan is in the dark.

An apex is coming and there's going to be one mad girl when the entire truth comes out.

At least IMHO.

Others have feelings too.