Orphan ~ 7

Printer-friendly version

"Look Tracy, I know that I’m not supposed to talk to Rachel but she was so sad and anyway, it was a stupid idea of yours to go out late and..."

Orphan 7
by
Susan Brown

 
Looking at Tracy and the other girls, I could see that I was not their favourite person.

‘Look Tracy, I know that I’m not supposed to talk to Rachel but she was so sad and anyway, it was a stupid idea of yours to go out late and...’

Tracy had a frown on her face. She didn’t look pleased; I assumed that I wouldn’t be on her Christmas card list, this year. Her foot was tapping and she looked like she was sizing me up for a coffin or something.

‘Look Stephanie. You are new and I should make allowances but I won’t, so you are in Coventry like Rachel.’

She turned away with the other girls and then we all sort of jumped as Rachel shouted at her.

‘TRACY, I TOLD ON YOU COS I DIDN’T WANT YOU TO GET HURT LIKE I WAS!’

Everyone looked at Rachel with surprise at the outburst. She was sitting on her bed, tears flooding down her face.

Tracy went over to her with a frown on her face.

‘What do you mean, you were hurt?’

Rachel looked at Tracy through tear stained eyes. She was sobbing now and could barely speak.

‘I…I was hurt once.’

All thoughts of Coventry were gone now. This was a girl who was hurting and we all wanted to know what had happened and we gathered around her.

I sat on the bed next to Rachel and held her hand.

‘What happened?’

‘’I…I can’t talk about it.’

‘You have to. Look at you, all upset. It will help, truly.

She looked up at us, blew her nose with a tissue and then took a deep breath.

‘I was nine at the time. My mum and dad were always arguing It was about 11’oclock at night. They went to bed, still rowing about money and that he hadn’t got a job. He kept saying that he only got drunk because he had nothing else to do. Then mum said that she wished that he was dead and then I put my pillow over my head to shut out the noise.’

She stopped to wiped her eyes again and then carried on.

‘I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew was that it was very late and the row had stopped. I decided to leave home, so I got up and dressed, put a few clothes in a carrier bag and then got my money from my piggy bank. I quietly went downstairs, put my shoes and coat on and opened the door carefully, shutting it as quietly as possible behind me.’

‘And you were just nine years old?’ Tracy said incredulously.

‘Yes; I wasn’t happy at home and dad often hit me after drinking and mum didn’t really like children; even her own. My younger brother was taken into care just after he was born because mum couldn’t cope. I suppose that was one of the reasons I ran away but I had had enough.’

She paused a bit and looked at us with concern and worry on her face.

‘Promise you won’t tell anyone?’

‘About what?’ said Tina.

‘What happened to me when I ran away?’

We all looked at each other and nodded our agreement.

‘Hang on,’ said Tracy, ‘Phillipa, can you keep watch so no warders can see us. We’ll tell you about it later.’

‘OK.’

Phillpa went over to the door and stood there while Rachel continued.

‘When I got out of the house, I didn’t know where I was going. I just wanted to get away. I was only nine and hadn’t a clue about being alone at night in the middle of the town. I had no idea of the danger. Anyway I walked about twenty minutes and came to the park where my mum used to take me occasionally when she wanted to get away from my dad. I sat on the swings and thought about what I was going to do. I was getting cold and it was dark and I thought that I was alone.’

Rachel’s eyes began to tear up as she carried on her story. I kept holding her hand which was shaking slightly and a bit damp.

‘Suddenly, in front of me was a man. He had dark hair and was about twenty or thirty. I don’t really know what he looked like, cos he had something over part of his face to hide his features. I think it might have been a hanky or something. He hadn’t had a shave and his breath smelt of drink. He didn’t say anything and just dragged me to some bushes. He…he then pulled my clothes off and…and then he…he…hurt me!’

I pulled her into my arms as she cried her eyes out. All the other girls were crying too. We were all in a state for a few minutes.

Eventually, Rachel calmed down a bit and finished her story.

‘When he finished hurting me, he hit me in the face and I don’t remember anything else till I woke up in hospital. I was badly bruised and battered and was in a state. Mum came to visit me once but dad wouldn’t, he had said that it was my fault for going out like that. A lady came to see me and asked lots of questions; I think she was a police woman. Then another two ladies came and said that my mum had asked if the authorities could look after me as she couldn’t cope. I haven’t seen my mum or dad since as dad walked out and mum moved and I don’t know where she is. They never caught the man.’

She looked up at a still crying Tracy and said, ‘That’s why I told on you. I didn’t want you to get hurt.’

Tracy knelt down in front of Rachel and then suddenly gave her a big hug.

‘I’m sorry Rachel. I can be a pig sometimes. You were right; it was a stupid thing to try to do.’

‘That’s all right. I should have told you.’

Everyone came up and gave Rachel a hug and then Phillipa gave a warning hiss; someone was coming.

It was Miss Cathcart with a sour look on her face.

‘Tracy.’

‘Yes Miss Cathcart.’

‘Don’t sigh like that Tracy. It was your turn to help with the washing up, now scoot.’

With more sighs and a few sulky looks, Tracy went to do her duty.

Miss Cathcart looked over at the rest of us.

‘What have you all got sour faces for and Rachel, why are you crying?’

‘Nothing, Miss Cathcart.’

‘Hmm; do you want to talk?’

‘No thanks Miss Cathcart, I’m just a bit sad,’

‘OK, dear if you want to talk you know where I am. Now girls I notice that beds haven’t been made so hop to it.’

With that she walked out leaving us to do our chores. I gave Rachel another hug.

‘Are you OK?’

‘Yes; it was good to get it off my chest.’

‘I’m glad you’re not in Coventry any more.’

‘So am I!’

‘Will you be my friend?’

‘Yes, that will be great. By the way, where did you get your teddy, he’s nice?’

‘I’ve had him since I was a kid. I’m a bit old for teddies but don’t tell him that as he gets upset easily.’

‘I won’t. Perhaps he could be friends with my doll, Stella.’

‘That would be great, they could go to the pictures and hold hands…paws, whatever and have popcorn.’

I don’t think Stella likes popcorn, she loves maltesers though.’

‘Teddy prefers Treats as they melt in the mouth not the paw.’

We looked at each other and then started giggling. I think that Rachel was feeling a bit better now.

To be continued…

This is in free form so probably has tons of mistakes…never mind no one's perfect.

Please leave comments as Teddy likes to read them.

up
230 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very good

you had me in tears wondering what had happened to rachel. i am so glad the others where so understanding. i can not wait for your next chapter.

hugs

sara

ophen 8.

verry good ilove it so when is the nixt half comeing out and hopey a little lounger .hugs and love awalys [email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Poor Rachel!!! Good Thing Stephanie Was There For Her

What Rachel went through is a true tragedy!! What happened to her was not her fault at all!! If her less than worthy parents had not been fighting, then no harm would have come to Rachel!! But as it is, Rachel has endured what no female of any age should.
Susan, this chapter was a real tear jerker for me. Please keep up the most excellent work and if possible, continue with Home Alone and Working Girl.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Dear Teddy, please tell

Dear Teddy, please tell Susan I think her story is brilliant!

p.s. Is this really part 7?

Oops!

Thanks for the nice comments.

I was thinking ahead of myself as this is chapter 7 not 8 - sorreeee!

Hugs

Sue

Fixed Already

joannebarbarella's picture

It's back to chapter 7. I notice Stephanie did not once think about being a boy in this episode. The setting of all the girls huddling around sharing a secret with a lookout in case a grown-up comes is so true. Keep 'em coming,
Joanne

Hugs for Teddy!

Greetings Teddy! I like the story more and more! Hopefully you and Stella will have a nice date (remember to be a gentle bear).

My little ones send greetings too! They would like to play with you (Snowball and White Paws are husky puppies so perhaps you could run around a bit with them in the woods. Johanna The Rabbit is a nice lady and she would like a nice little get together. Päkä Pässinen is a male sheep and he is a bit wild - perhaps you could teach him some manners as you seem to be so well mannered nice teddy bear).

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball & the other little ones

to teddy

the teddy is cute. i hope the teddy makes good friends with the girls doll.
Rachael is a very strong girl to have endured that and the girls cruelty for telling on tracy. THat is so sad and heartbreaking.

I actually find it quite

I actually find it quite nice, even if somewhat sweet to my uncultivated taste :)

Doesn't mean I'll stop reading it though ::))
As long as you promise to keep on writing that is...

Cheers
Yoron.

It is so lovely

Susan, the way you can change the mood so quickly from sadness to laughter. This is such a simple, real sort of situation yet so full of possibilities. Brilliant.

Briar

Briar

PEEERRRfect

*** I think you are doing a great job. You are a wondeful writer. You have enthusiasum, foresight and most of all you have a heart as big as the moon.....Rebecca

Mixed emotions right now ----> POSSIBLE TRIGGER

I really enjoyed the chapter, especially as it ended with Rachel no longer in "Coventry" after telling why she told on Tracy.

Reading what happened to Rachel as she recounted it was enough to make to make me mildly angry, but that turned to full out fury briefly after I read the part of Stanman's comment about "it shouldn't happen to a female of any age".

What made me furious at that point is the all too common misconception that only girls/women can be raped. As a person who was born male and still legally is male, even after many, many years of hormones, I know better myself, having experienced male to male rape four times, the first time when I was only 4.5 years old. Far too many people, when they hear a male say they've been raped, just blow it off, saying that it isn't possible for a male to be raped because they don't have the right parts, i.e., no vagina, and that the male in question was likely asking for it.

Rape shouldn't happen to ANYONE, but it does, and very often, to both males and females of all ages. What makes it worse is that charges being laid for rape are a very rare occurrence, even rarer when the victim is a male. Males pressing charges for rape are often portrayed as "telling stories" that are generally considered to be utterly false, even when the male has a sterling reputation for telling the truth.

I admit it is discounted less nowadays, after the charges that HAVE been laid against priests all around the world over the last 30 years or so.

To be blunt, which is quite normal for me, dictionary.com's first definition describes rape as the following:

"noun 1. unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by a sex organ, other body part, or foreign object, without the consent of the victim."

Please tell me how a child 4.5 years old is going to be adult enough to consent to sex, or how that same child is going to have any chance at all of preventing something like that from happening against a person twice their height at least and three or more times their weight. From my own memories of what happened, I was dragged into a bedroom, shoved face first into a mattress with my head held down so I wouldn't make any noise while the asshole was having his fun. I apparently passed out in the process, which was a big turn-off for the guy, as he left shortly after he noticed I was no longer responding at all, leaving me lying there half-stripped in the middle of the bed.

The incident was so traumatic I blocked it away for nearly thirty years. When I did finally remember it, I cried for about half an hour non-stop. I'm damn glad I was with a bunch of girls at that point, as they talked to me for hours afterward, helping me to settle down.

I apologize for the rant, but rape is always a touchy subject for me, it has been for almost my entire life because of what I've been through, and people downplaying it, or even worse, ignoring it because the person saying it happened is a male, is an even touchier one.