Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 3001

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 3001
by Angharad

Copyright© 2016 Angharad

  
007b_0_0.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
*****

“And don’t forget to clean your teeth,” I called to the giggling gaggle of girls as they went up to bed.

“We don’t need to floss no more,” replied Trish I suspect deliberately using poor English.

“What?” I asked ascending the stairs when what i really wanted was a cuppa and chat with Danielle regarding her love life.

“Said in the paper that flossing is a waste of time,” said the genius.

“Did it?”

“Mighta been the internet.”

“I wasn’t asking you to floss anyway, flossie.”

She stuck out her tongue at me.

“How very grown up,” I dismissed her.

“You do it,” she snapped back.

“Look, miss smartarse, don’t do as I do, do as I tell you.”

She poked her tongue out again and ran off giggling. I decided they could sort themselves out and would only get involved if they got too noisy or I heard them in and out of bed. At least they knew and complied with my policy that no phones, laptops or tablets are allowed in the bedroom at bedtime. Research has shown that the screens tend to stimulate our eyes and thus our brains and we don’t sleep well afterwards. Dunno, I’ve fallen asleep plenty of times over a laptop.

I retreated down to the kitchen where Si and Danni were chatting about the match to her elder siblings. “So you like won the match?” asked Julie almost in awe.

“She did and she won man of the match,” bragged Simon.

“But she isn’t a man, is she?” Julie came back sharply and Danielle blushed. I suppose it is still relatively early days.

“Okay, woman of the match—it’s just an expression but they get a prize.”

“What d’ya get?” Julie asked her sibling.

“A shield, wanna see it?” She dug about in her bag and produced the small shield, it could go with the other trophies she’d won on the shelf in her bedroom. I’d already had her cap mounted in a frame for her to hang on the wall out of direct sunlight.

“She scored two goals to equalise against the Germans and...”

“You’re on the news, kiddo,” called Jacquie from the lounge, at which we all rushed into the room just in time to hear the commentator.

‘Probably a suitable competitor for goal of the year competition from the England Germany women’s international this afternoon, when fourteen year old Danielle Cameron from Portsmouth scored this amazing goal.’

We all watched it in astonishment, even though Simon and I had seen it before. As they showed it in slow motion Julie muttered, “Flipping ‘eck, ’ow the ’ell did you do that?”

‘This is one of the hardest manoeuvres in football and most of the time the player either misses or the ball goes almost anywhere, very few players ever pull it off and even fewer score a goal with it, but this young lady, and she is quite young to be a full international, but you can see why with this sort of skill and confidence. One of the best goals I’ve ever seen,” said the soccer pundit, some past it Premiership player, I expect.

“Cor, see who that is?” squealed Danni.

“No idea,” responded Julie for our collective ignorance.

“It’s only Brian Smith.”

“Who?” we said together.

“He played for Spurs and Arsenal before he went to Barca.”

“What’s Barca, a play for them when they become barking?” asked Julie.

“No, Barcelona, one of the best clubs in the world.”

“Wossat, Spain innit?” Julie really sounded a true intellectual at times.

Danni just rolled her eyes in pretend disgust and they all sniggered and snorted.

“You watch, there’ll be photos of that in the papers tomorrow, especially as the England men are so useless,” was Simon’s opinion and I hoped he was wrong.

“Cor, can we buy the papers to look?” asked an excited Danielle.

“I hope not, the last thing we need is publicity.” I threw a wet blanket on the proceedings.

“Oh yeah, didn’t think of that, maybe I won’t do it again.” She looked really downcast.

I turned her to face me and put my hands on her shoulders, “You were quite right to do it and deserve the recognition for your skill and agility. If you’re chosen to play for your country, you should give one hundred per cent or not bother turning up. Whatever the outcome, I’m really proud of you, girl,” and I hugged her and kissed her on the cheek as the others said, “Absolutely.” I felt her sniff and sob in my arms.

“They’re never going to let us be, are they? We’re always gonna be freaks.”

Simon interrupted. “I don’t care what anyone else says, but none of you are freaks. You’re all decent and very lovely young women and if necessary, I shall stand up and say so out loud as often as I need to make people understand. You are just ordinary—well okay, in your case, Danni—extraordinary young women making the best of a difficult path which nature has determined you have to tread. So no more of this woe is me, I’m a victim. You’re not and you have as much right as anyone else to represent your nation at sport, especially if you’re as good as you are, young lady.”

I was pleased he said all that and I know he means it one hundred per cent and if necessary would say it in public. However, I hope no one puts two and two together and makes four because the publicity will cause her so much embarrassment and anguish for months. If it was anything but a public sporting event, the press wouldn’t be allowed to name her because she’s still a juvenile however, because it happened in public, it seems they have carte blanche to say what they like because she’s a ‘public’ figure. It strikes me as double standards but life is full of them, just look at politics—Donald Trump, is the apotheosis of double standards who when he’s accused of lying or false accusations just goes on to make his next accusation about the democrats doing something wrong. Sadly, masses of brain dead Americans will swallow his nonsense because they have an axe to grind with the establishment. It’s similar to the Brexit vote here where British universities are being left out of the loop by their European counterparts or in danger of losing research grants because of the referendum result. I know it’s happening to my department but I’m now seeing evidence it’s country wide. Manufacturing is also down.

Trump has no policies or plans just hate filled rhetoric. While Hillary may have a somewhat chequered career, she certainly has to be the lesser of the two evils, especially as Putin will run rings round Trump and spread his anti-western influences even farther. He’s already funding all sorts of nastiness in Europe and probably helped the Brexit lobby because the UK leaving the EU weakens the union militarily quite significantly and now he’s trying to upset NATO. Both he and Trump are monsters, the difference between them being, Putin is a clever one the other is a egotistical moron.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
238 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well i wanted to stay in but

well i wanted to stay in but the vote went the other way we just got to suck it up it and carry on make the best of it. I wonder if Junker was paid by UKIP he done a lot of work for them. Everyone fed of the chumps in UK or US so the every day man or woman want to stick it to them. Cant blame them

Life Goes On

littlerocksilver's picture

What a beautiful chapter about love and acceptance, the person in the last two paragraphs excepted. You hit the nail on the head there, too.

Portia

As Danni has both a different

As Danni has both a different first name and last name that she got after going to live with Cathy and Simon; would anyone actually put it together regarding her previous "life" as a boy? She has gained her football fame as a girl, and so far that is what she is to everyone else.
Just wondering I guess.

Well Said

Great episode, Ang. Simon will support his girls with everything he has.

"Both he and Trump are monsters, the difference between them being, Putin is a clever one the other is a egotistical moron." Hear, hear!

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Episode 250 dozen

Felt like someone should say it.

Oops

Thought I was commenting on the previous episode.

Its a fact

that when something or someone becomes newsworthy that most journalists will forget any semblance of good manners in pursuit of what they see as a scoop,Its also reasonable to assume that Danni's previous life as Danny would be considered front page news.. Danni is right to be concerned over what could happen but she does have advantages that others in a similar situation don't ...Namely the Cameron name and with it all the power and privilege that comes from being a member ... Simon, Cathy and most importantly her grandparents will stand with her ,Heaven help anyone who tries to take them on ...

Kirri

Outstanding comment regarding Trump and Putin.....

D. Eden's picture

As a registered Republican, I never thought I would be agreeing with those sentiments - but then again I never imagined that someone like Donald Trump would win the nomination. What's next? Kim Kardashian and Kanye West running for President and VP?

This years election truly illustrates how badly our two party system is broken. Disillusionment abounds.

Where, oh where will I find a party that is fiscally conservative yet socially liberal? A party that isn't morally bankrupt and whose nominees are not reprehensible morons or criminals?

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Blame the electorate hon

You have the parties you have because people keep voting for them. It's like feeding cats. Once they figure out what they need to do to get fed, they keep doing it.

That 'The Don' has gotten this much traction no doubt has even surprised Trump himself, though he would never admit it at this point. This is his ultimate reality show and with him as the star. I am honestly scared that there is such a large portion of the electorate who would throw common sense out the window in the name of hate and supporting such a unstable, clueless, sub-lawyer wad of hairball.

I am sick of the irrational hate on Hillary though and some of the criticisms have been downright sexist, like calling her a 'shrew'. There seems to be no equivalent for describing a man in the same vein. Hillary is far from perfect but even her worst detractors would never consider her unstable or being totally clueless.

As for why the Republican party does not have the conservative/liberal combo you are looking for? We all know they sold themselves out to the religious conservatives to garner their support starting with Reagan. Most Republican candidates would find it a lot harder to get elected in certain states unless they play the god card.

Please call on me, teacher!

"Where, oh where will I find a party that is fiscally conservative yet socially liberal? A party that isn't morally bankrupt and whose nominees are not reprehensible morons or criminals?"

Ooh, I know, I know! The Libertarian Party!

(Note: This post is intended purely for entertainment value. I don't want to get on any potential future dictator's president's naughty list.)

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}