My Safe Place - Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
Chapter 8

I was sitting at a table looking at a strange man. Nikki was in the hallway sitting. I could see she was reading a magazine or something. What looks to be a police officer was standing next to the door outside. I looked at the crayons next to the strange man, wishing I could color with them.

“Hello Noah, my name is Dr. Frank. I am a psychologists. I'd like to ask you a few questions. First of all, is it alright if I record our conversation?”

I nodded.

Dr. Frank takes out a small hand held tape recorder and presses a button.

'Click'

“Today is Friday on Day 23, the month of January in the year 2004. I am here with ten year old Noah Foster...”

“My names Kiara!” I screamed, interrupting the recording.

Nikki looked up from her magazine, I'm not sure what the police officer was doing, but I guess I was loud enough for others to hear me. I wonder if Nikki could see me through the window? I look out at her.

'Click'

Dr. Foster stops the tape recorder. “Don't worry Noa… I mean Kiara, No one can see you through that window. Its a one way mirror window. We are the only ones that can see out no one can see in. But I can close the blinds, if it bothers you.” Dr. Frank gets up from out of his chair and closes the blinds and then sits back at the table. “Would you mind if I continue?”

I thought for a second and finally nodded my head yes.

'Click' goes the tape recorder.

“I am here with Kiara Foster But for the records Noah Foster...”

This bugged me. I don't like hearing that name and wished no one used it anymore.

“…since that is his real name. So Kiara, do you know why you were brought here today?”

I shook my head, no.

“Please speak your answer, either yes or no.”

“No,” I spoke shyly. This was true. I don't know why I was here. I don't have any memory of what happened from the time I got into my room and the time Nikki was sitting on my bed, once I got out of the bathroom. I hope I can answer the questions okay.

“While you were at The Crescent City Home for LGBT Youth, you had an outburst, which caused a disturbance to others. They would like to help you with that.”

I sighed. I don't remember that at all.

“I have a few questions to ask you.” He took out a sheet of paper from a folder. “Okay… I would like to know a little bit about life at home.” Dr. Frank explained. “And what I mean is, your former home, before you were sent to Crescent City. How did your mother treat you?”

I sat there for about a minute crying. I didn't say a word, just cried. Dr. Frank watched me and wrote things in a notebook.

“Was your mother abusive?”

“My mom was nice to me when she lived with us.”

“Us? Are you talking about you and your father?”

“Yes.”

He writes it down. “Go on.”

“She was the only one that tucked me in at night time. Dad never did. And the one thing I liked about her, was she supported me when it came to me being a girl. She and me chose the name Kiara after watching The Lion King 2: Simba's Pride. Kiara is Simba's daughter in the movie, did you know that?”

“I never watched the movie, but it's a pretty name.”

“Thank you,” I smiled starting to cheer up.

“So what happened to your mother?”

“I don't know what happened to her. I remember mom and dad fighting a lot and the last time I saw her, she and dad were fighting as well and the next day, she was gone.”

“Do you know what her name is?”

“I'm not sure. But I think it's Carmela, or something close to that. I remember hearing something close to that name a few times.”

“Do you have any siblings?”

“Siblings?” I was confused. I never heard that word before.

“Brothers or sisters? Do you have any brothers, or sisters?”

“I have one brother and one sister.” I explained. “Mom was able to get them, but not me. Dad refused to let me go with her that night.

“Oh, what are your brothers and sisters names?” Dr. Frank took took out another sheet of paper and wrote down moms name.

“Calvin and Lauren,”

Dr. Frank wrote that down. I looked at the papers he was writing on. I couldn't understand a word he was writing. It was all scribbles. How can he read that?

“Did you hear where she went to?”

I shook my head no, then I remembered he was recording me “Oops. Sorry… No, I didn't hear where she went.”

Dr. Frank looked up from what he was writing. “Any phone calls from her?”

“No,” I looked at my feet. “I think she would have called to talk to me, but dad had the phone number changed right away. I did get a letter from her once, but dad stole it from me before I got to open it.”

About an hour later, we were done talking. I was asked to sit in the hall, with the nice man that looked like a police officer, while he talked to Nikki.

Inside the room, Nikki and Dr. Frank talked, while I sat looking at the walls at all the posters. There was some posters that said things like Depersonalization, Dissociative Identity Disorder, and Schizophrenia. Not sure what they were, but they were scary pictures on them. I had to get my mind off of them. I looked up at the police officer.

“Hello” I said with a smile.

“Hi there,” he said. “You must be Kiara, I'm David.”

My smile went away. “Uh, how did you know my name?” I was confused.

“While you were in the room, I talked to Nikki. She told me your name. She was worried about you.”

“Why are you here?” I asked. Am I going to jail?”

He chuckled. “No sweetie, I'm not a police officer. I work for Child Protection Services. I am kind of like a police officer. I am here, to watch over you, kind of like a personal body guard.”

“Why?” I asked.

“To protect you from your father.”

“Why? He's in jail.” I was getting a little nervous.

“I'm sorry to say this kiddo, but your father posted bail this morning. They had to let him go.” I was freaking out. “But don't worry, he can't touch you, as long as I am around you. Plus, we have put a restraining order against him.”

About that time, Nikki and Dr. Frank walked out of the room. I guess we were heading back to the house, or something. I was told that I will have to come back and see him again in a week or so. This was going to be boring. I walked along with Nikki and David followed right behind us.

When we got back, it was almost dinner time. I didn't even go shopping and get some new clothes yet. I hope we have time tomorrow. Ashley was in the TV room watching a show, but when I walked into the building, she screamed and ran over to me.

“Kiara! I missed you.” We both hugged.

Nikki went back into her office and started writing on some papers. I was not interested in that. I did notice that David was was standing nearby. I kind of feel like royalty. Having a body guard.

“Hi David,” Ashley said, waving her hand at him.

“Why hello Ashley, how's life treating you?”

I was confused, how does she know David?

“I am doing very well now. I even got a new friend.” She was pointing at me.

“That's wonderful,” He chuckled.

Ashley looked at me and then back at David. “So I see you're with Kiara now.”

He shook his head.

She would have continued talking, but the dinner bell rang and we were all sitting down at a table together.

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks for continuing with

Thanks for continuing with this story, you just set up a whole new level of intrigue with Kiara's unknown family history and opened up a brand new can of worms!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

your welcome

I have been wanting to put out a new chapter for a while now, but had to take a break due to triggers in writing this story. I'm glad your happy to see it has returned.

name.png

Bail, bad this time

Jamie Lee's picture

As if Kiara doesn't have enough problems without having to worry about her dad. Again.

I've a feeling neither the restraining order or David will deter her dad. He may learn they should have been heeded.

Others have feelings too.