Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 216

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike,
by Angharad
part 216.

Despite the need for me to get up early and get things done, I succumbed to Simon's embrace and we kissed and cuddled for an hour. It was hard to believe that this was the same man who had reacted so badly to me barely a week before. I had forgiven him for it, but I had not forgotten, hoping in time, the memory would fade. If it didn't, it was going to influence and undermine my confidence in myself as a woman and possibly our relationship.

I knew that I easily passed as female, and inside I mostly thought of myself as that, but there was this little niggle inside my head, that I wasn't and never would be the genuine article no matter how clever the surgeons got. I'd be a good facsimile physically, but never perfect.

It's funny that for most everyday things it didn't matter, neither did the surgery, or eventually getting full legal status, and I acted as if I were as female as Spike. But just now and again, the thought would enter my head and make me feel a bit down or inferior, sort of substandard goods.

If it bothered any of my friends or family, they didn't say. In fact, they would say the opposite, that they regarded me as female in every way, sometimes claiming that they'd had forgotten I wasn't. That was nice, but I don't know if I entirely believed it.

Anyway, that morning we had a late breakfast and I even had Simon doing the laundry. Okay, I had to explain exactly what he had to do, while I went shopping. Stella wasn't very well at all, and I did contemplate calling the doctor or the hospital but she protested.

Tom decided he would come with me shopping. It was a mistake, he bought loads of stuff we would never use and he slowed me down no end. He did pay for much of it, but it was time I was most short of, and after it took us until lunch time to get the food, I was even shorter of tempus.

The afternoon was spent cleaning and cooking. I made bread and cakes and soup, which I froze. I also worked out a menu for the whole holiday period, as I was likely to be head cook, it would save me having to think too hard on the day.

As I had the oven on, by that I mean the Aga cooker, I made us a liver and bacon casserole for our supper, while sorting the ironing and supervising Simon's dusting. He meant well, but he had very little idea.

At supper time, I was just about to dish up when I went to check on Stella. She was sweating, and the whites of her eyes were turning yellow. I called the emergency doctor, it took some time to get hold of anyone and I got fed up. So I called the hospital and spoke to the nurse in charge of the ward Stella had been on. She told me to call an ambulance and have her admitted as it sounded like hepatitis. Stella also appeared to be in some pain, and between us we agreed it could be a blocked bile duct.

The paramedics arrived within twenty minutes and agreed it was a hospital job. Stella protested but rather feebly, and she was taken off in the 'van'. I went with her while Simon followed in his car.

In A&E we wished we'd brought some of my casserole with us, we were both very hungry and could do nothing until the doctors admitted her or sent her home.

After three hours, they admitted her. We saw her on the ward and she looked quite poorly, now looking jaundiced all over. I felt very worried. She was in some pain and they hooked her up to a drip to help. We left at about half past ten.

We did eat some of the casserole, but more out of need than desire. It was tasty and my homemade bread went down very well with it, but we were beyond hunger and after eating a very small plateful, I went off to bed with exhaustion. Simon came up shortly afterwards.

"Do you think she's going to be alright?"

"Of course she will, hopefully it will resolve itself, and if necessary they can intervene. So yes, I expect her to make a full recovery." My argument didn't feel half as confident as I hoped it sounded, I was very worried.

"This is the second time she's been in hospital in as many weeks. If anything happens to her, I don't know what I shall do." In the dim light of the bedroom, I could see clearly enough to notice tears in Simon's eyes.

"She'll be okay, they'll look after her, I mean she's one of them, so they'll give her the best care they can."

"She's nearly always been there, telling me what to do, bossing me around. What am I going to do?"

"Simon, she is going to be alright, besides you have me now as well."

"Dear Cathy, this is the second time you'll have saved her life, how can I thank you?"

"I need thanking for looking after my sister?"

"No, I didn't mean it like that, but without your help, she might have died two weeks ago."

"Nah, she's far too tough for that."

"She pretends she's tough, but she's like you, soft on the inside."

"Humph! Hark who's talking, Mr Tough-guy Cameron, Lord Softy. I'm just one of the battle hardened serfs."

"What!" he laughed, "You a serf? I'm as much a wage slave as you are, in fact more so. You love your work, I do mine because I'm good at it and it pays so well, but I despise it."

"Why do you do it then?"

"I just told you."

"Okay, tell me why you despise it?"

"It's amoral at best, immoral at worst, enough said?"

"So why don't you stop?"

"Because I'm saving."

"For anything in particular?"

"Yes, I want to buy a farm and raise organic dormice."

I sat up and said, "You lying toad, Simon Cameron," and hit him on the shoulder.

"Ouch, that hurt."

"Good, you deserved it."

"I do want a farm and I hope there'll be dormice on it."

"Where do you want this farm?"

"Somewhere in southern England, haven't seen the exact spot yet, but near the coast if possible."

"What Hampshire or Sussex?"

"Yeah, or Dorset or even Devon."

"Gosh, you're a deep one, Simon." I cuddled into him.

"I want to raise organic foods and animals, free range carrots that sort of things."

"I'd never have thought of you in terms of, 'free range carrots'."

"You don't see too many of them, they tend to leg it when people are around."

I lay back trying to imagine carrots running off with Bugs Bunny in hot pursuit. I started to giggle.

"What's so funny?"

"Just the idea of you in a tractor chasing down carrots."

"I plan on introducing some Scottish things too?"

"Like what, a porridge plant?"

"Porridge comes from oats, not a porridge plant."

"Duh! I think even I know that Simon, so what else is there? A distillery or are you going to plant neeps*?"

"Oh done your homework have you?"

"No, I used to read 'Oor Wullie' and 'The Broons'**."

"Oh, so you'll know all about haggis farming then?"

I giggled. "I know enough to know when some one is taking the piss," I offered, knowing full well that a haggis is minced meat with oatmeal and herbs tied up in a sheep's stomach, and an acquired taste.

"Would I do that to you?"

"Yes you would Simon Cameron."

"Oh I am so wounded by that remark." He lay back and pretended to cry.

I hit him again, only not quite so hard. "Ow you bugger, that hurts. I thought women weren't supposed to be so violent."

"Nah, we only claim that so we can take men by surprise."

"Now you tell me!"

"Well yes, if I'd told you before it wouldn't have been a surprise would it?"

"I can't fault your logic."

I glanced at the clock, it was after one in the morning. "Perhaps we should try and get some sleep," I said, "We have plenty to do tomorrow."

"Yeah, maybe you're right."

I rolled over on to my side and he cuddled into the back of me. We were just dropping off to sleep when the phone went. Simon was out of bed and through the door like an Olympic athlete, I followed sleepily after.

"It's the hospital, they're taking Stella down to theatre, pulled the consultant out of bed. I'm going down there. Oh God Cathy, I'm really scared."

*Neeps - a turnip, a root vegetable.

** Oor Wullie & The Broons - two comic strips in the Scottish Sunday Post.

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I LIKE Stella

Please keep her around. Hey, she needs to be in good shape to help Cathy recover from surgery.

Enough!

Enough with the cliffhangers. I'm sufficiently addicted to this story that I don't need a cliffhanger everyday to bring me back, or the next day or the one after that...

I probably won't be sleeping now until I know that Stella is alright. Of course with your devious little brain we shall probably be side tracked for several days by Jemima, or the Russian Mafia, or the Elite British Parachute Deep Infiltration Doormouse team as they secure the hospital from the hostile Russian mafia, which is about to make sure that Cathy and Stella never interfere with their plans to take over whatever happens to be on their list for the day.

ARGHHHHHH!

Arwen

p.s. Please keep up the good work.

Never enough!

I won't be happy until I see Ninja dormice in their cute little black hoods with their huge eyes staring out, jumping out of the dark, protecting Stella from sneaky Russian Blue cat assault cats landed by helicopters on the hospital, sent by the Russian mob !

;-)

Kim

Simon And Cathy At It Again

Very refreshing to here that Simon is a lot like Cathy in his basic decency. I can just picture them in a setting like he described. Personally, I think that Simon should purchase some land right near Tom Agnew's residence. As for Stella, Simon needs her so very much because she is in many ways a surrogate Mum.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Neeps

Bashed neeps and chappit tatties are the traditional accompaniments for Haggis. In England they call neeps "Swedes" so bashed neeeps is really mashed swede (delicious with plenty of butter melted into it) and chappit tatties is mashed potatoes.

On 25th January when we Scots celebrate Burns’ Nicht, the atmosphere is heavy with the smell of boiling turnips/swedes, or to put it another way, “There’s a Neep in the air!” That concludes your lesson in Lallans* for tonight.

Nice episode, Ang. I hope Stella's going to be all right, she's such a sterling girl.

Hugs
Gabi

* Lallans is the lowland Scots dialect—some claim to be a language in its own right.
G.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Lallans

In an episode of the excellent BBC/PBS coproduction, "The Story of English", narrator Robert MacNiell (a Canadian of Scottish decent) made the point that Lowland Scotts was well on its way to becoming a distinct language. The passing of Elizabeth I and the ascent of James Stuart to wear both the English and Scottish crowns "halted" the progression.

Almost all, of what a lady reciting Burns' Tam Oshanter said on the radio recently, was utterly indecipherable to my American ears. :-(

To be fair, some American is simply grotesque. "Jeet? No, jou?" That stands for "Did you eat? No, did you?". :-((

G/R

Angeleno Accent

erin's picture

Los Angeles isn't supposed to have an accent but many of them do one identifiable thing -- turn initial "j" into "ch". They don't do it all the time but they do occasionally. :) So the above comes out "Cha'eet?" "No, choo?" It's not just the Latinos that do it, either, though I suspect that's where it comes from.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

It's impossible to speak without an accent.

Everyone has an accent of some sort (except me, of course :) ) Most people reading this probably have what I would think of as American accents. I suspect Gabi has a Scottish accent and our author a Welsh one - even a southern Welsh one which is different from that spoken in N Wales.

I originate in the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire coalfield which has an accent and dialect all its own and distinct from that of Yorkshire just a few miles to the north or the city of Nottingham itself less than 10 miles away. I suspect that accents are more localised in the UK than in in the US.

Geoff

Accent on the local

erin's picture

Yup. In fact, England probably has more English accent variation than all of USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand combined. What I meant is that Angelenos are supposed to speak "General American" or as close as it gets. But they really don't. Besides some borrowed Latino phrasings and idiosyncrasies, they have a quicker version of the Western drawl, flattening out their vowels without going all nasal. Along with Seattle, it's the quickest spoken dialect in the West.

San Francisco has an accent, too. That's a joke because the distinguishing mark of the SF accent is to pronounce "too", "to" or "two" as "tyoo". The Western drawl is slower there than LA but not as flat in vowels. Both cities do more with pitch than most Westerners but they do it differently.

As you can tell, this stuff fascinates me. I'm pretty good at picking out accents. When I worked at Disneyland, I would ask people who had accents I hadn't heard before where they were from. One fellow told me to guess and I said, "Well, you sound as if you came from somewhere halfway between Liverpool and Belfast."

"That's exactly right!" he said. He was a Manxman. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wandering astray on accents

I'd always heard that Johnny Carson, who was born in Iowa and grew up in Nebraska, had the closest thing to a 'neutral' American accent, which he attributed to his Nebraska upbringing.

Of course, down South he'ya we know the rest of y'all speak funny, we jest don' say so. ;)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I dunno

erin's picture

Some of those Nebraskans have a corn belt rasp, all the vowels flattened out of shape. Harry Truman had the Kansas City version of that accent. :) And John Wayne was an Iowan! Of course, his accent is almost exactly what I mean by a Western drawl; he grew up in California from the age of four.

My own accent is pretty California, too, unless I'm around southerners when the Ozarks come out. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Canadian Accent?

Except for the "eh?" at the end of every second sentence (NOT at the end of EVERY sentence, eh?), we Canucks aren't known for an accent distinctly different from our American cousins. That's why some of us, actually, many of us, have made our mark in the media in the US without anyone being able to tell from our speech, eh? [List available upon request]

There are exceptions, of course: the Newfoundlanders are famous (at least among Canadians) for their distinctive pattern of speech. (See the song "I's the B'y That Builds the Boat", eh?) Those of the Atlantic Provinces tend to sound somewhat different from the rest of us, e.g., my grandmother never took a bath in her life -- it was always a 'bawth' -- most of us pronounce it more like the cry of a sheep with a 'th' at the end.

The Ottawa Valley used to have its own accent with a similar Irish tone to it but it has largely been educated out of the people -- only the old folk still use it, eh? It was characterized, among other things, by pronouncing the names of the towns of Carleton Place and Carp as "Kehrleton Place" and "Kehrp" (like 'care' with a 'p' at the end). And, of course, they drove "kehrs", eh?

Isn't it all so much fun?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

P.S. I have no idea what a Welsh accent sounds like.

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Canadian Accent

erin's picture

I listen to the CBC at night and yes, Canadians do have an accent. :) The vowels are rounder, 'out and about' sound like 'oat and a boat', to an American ear. At least, Broadcast Canadian sounds like that in comparison to Broadcast American. I remember a little story told by William Shatner about looking for acting work in New York when he was a young man and having to go to a speech coach to get rid of his Toronto accent. :)

There's more than one Welsh accent but most Americans hearing one would probably think it was either Irish, Scots or English because those are more familiar. The Welsh accents are among those that went into making the American accent distinct, lots of Welsh came over in Colonial times and after. I'm about 1/8 Welsh, along with English, Cherokee, Irish, German and Other. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

'we know the rest of you speak funny...

we jest don' say so. ;) '
and we say y'all when we are tawkin only to one of ya! The plural of y'all (talking to everyone, not just one person) is 'ALL Y'ALL!
All y'all cum bak, now, ya'hear?

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Manxman

An 'A' for geography, but the accent?
Was it Peel, Douglas, Ramsey or Castletown - to mention only 4.
Unfortunately most of us are now being swamped by the come overs.
There may yet be hope as Manx is finally being taught in the schools.

Douglas, I think he said

erin's picture

When he said, "Exactly right," and I said, "You're a Manxman?" he was astonished that any American knew where the Isle of Man was or what people from there are called. :) He claimed that many English, Irish and Welsh don't know where the island is and confuse it with the Isle of Wight.

I said, "Well, that's just Wwong," and he almost busted a gut. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

We just called it 'The Island' ...

... when we made our annual pilgrimages to the TT and occasionally a second visit for the Manx in September. The main problem was the Isle of Man Steam (cost you a)Packet Company's fares and the cavalier way they treated we motor cyclists.

Love the place though. Visited it again for the first time in over 20 years about 3 years ago. Now it's an offshore tax dodge it doesn't seem to be quite the same place as when George Formby raced his 'Rainbow' in the film 'No Limit' but it wasn't so different in the 60s and 70s when we visited regularly.

Even then, finding a real Manxman was difficult. Most seemed to originate in Lancashire in general, Merseyside in particular.

Geoff

No Limit

Must have watched that every year at Manx Grand Prix time in the late 40s and early 50s.

Remember Old Winter and his Donkey. They used to come round selling fresh fruit. And the horse drawn milk carts when we ran out with a jug for a gill of fresh milk.

The whole thing was so improbable it would just fit into a Gaby story.

Accents.

Angharad's picture

I have a neutral southern accent, with soft vowels, so it's a surprise to many that I'm a Taffy, comes of living in a nice part of Cardiff and having a Scots mother.

Gabi doesn't normally have a Scots accent, we've spoken on the phone, although she can do sevaral variations on one and also a passable Welsh one.

I have a suspicion that Bonzi can speak Italian, I'm sure he said ciao one night instead of miaow, on the other hand it might have been his Dorset accent.

Angharad

Angharad

Yes, We Love Stella

She needs to recover so that she can help Cathy through her surgery and recovery.

Simon and Cathy do..

kristina l s's picture

...The Good Life with Stella hamming it up as whats her face the snotty one over the fence, so yeah she needs to be good, never mind the nursing bit. There's a damn wedding to organise. Hepatitis, ick, rather contagious too.

Kristina

Hepatitis ...

Hopefully, Stella's liver trouble is mechanical, not viral.

G/R

liver

Wild irony there with Stella's hepatitis keeping her from eating liver casserole.

I'm sure Stella's hepatitis is cause by trauma

Not contagious unless she attacks. I suppose that isn't impossible but not likely in her current condition.

Mashed Swedes? Are they planning on beating up some northern europeans to go along with the russians?

Trauma Of The Month Club

Oh, Ang! Such violence you do to your characters!

In the course of this little romantic comedy, you've hit Cathy with a car, had her mother die of mysterious causes, shot Simon, drugged Cathy, stabbed Tom, given Cathy's father a debilitating stroke, put Cathy in a car fire in which she nearly asphyxiated, bled Stella nearly to death, had mobsters chasing Cathy around, several other things I've forgotten, and now you're hanging Stella back out on the brink of death again, and so soon after the last time, too.

I hesitate to even consider what you might have planned for Jemima.

At least in the classic cliffhanger serials like "Perils of Pauline," the audience didn't need to worry that every single character in the story was in constant peril.

Stella and hepatitus

don't forget, Stella took a couple of blows in the liver in the last caped crusaders fight. With everything she is going thru medical wise, hepatitus is a very distinct possiblily, and is usually corrected by diet. LONG LIVE STELLA!

Don't let someone else talk you out of your dreams. How can we have dreams come true, if we have no dreams?

Katrina Gayle "Stormy" Storm

Free Range Carrots huh...

Wonderful humor interlude. Hepatitus is nothing to laugh at, but it can certainly be lived with... Though it will force a significant change in Stella's work/lifestyle... (I've an aunt that's had one of the varieties of Hepatitus over 20 years...

Sounds like someone really botched things with her though... Too bad she'd not had the Hep B/C vacceine.

Annette

I* hope its not Hepatitis A/B/or C

Though I though hospital and emergency workers got the vacine for one or more of the three -- I don't think thy have it for all 3 types yet -- because they are at risk.

Now is the time for Cathy to get tough and take that fancy scotch if she has bought it and smash it at Simon's feet along with any other alcohol. Even if it just mechanical trama and not infection Stella will have to abstain from alcohol for a long time, maybe for life. And in het family of *fishes* when it comes to booze, and being hear Tom as well, she is in terrible risk.

I'm half expecting Simon to get shitface drunk at any minute. Alcohol seems to be his answer to any and all bad sitations. Sorry, but I have a low opinion of Simon, he needs to grow up as does nearly everyone in his family.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S Great stuff

P.P.S. Be Vvery VVery qwiet. The Carrots spook easily and may stamppede. Ha ha ha ha ha1

John in Wauwatosa

In total agreement

Alcohol seems to be a bit too much of a 'reach for when stressed' kinda thing for Cathy too unfortunately. She does not handle it well and it makes her silly imho.

My partner is an alcoholic so I know this behavior pattern oh too well. The only difference between Cathy and my partner is the ability to stop of course.

But like I said, the emotional rationale to drink seems to be there.

Kim

Stella, Cathy and Simon

Stella, Cathy and Simon could be good characters on "General Hospital" (an American Soap Opera) with all the various medical situations they have undergone and now Stella is suffering another one. I would have thought that She, being a medical person, would have had the Hep B series of shots. A and C, as far as I know don't have any for them. Please allow Stella to recover so she can be Maid of Honor at her "Sister's" wedding. J-Lynn

Poor Stella and Cathy

Cathy needs to be ready for her Grs and you've given her so much to worry about.Is Stella's hep going to be contagious or non contagious as that will effect her ability to see Cathy during her recovery.I do hope that you will allow Stella to remain among the living Characters.Keep up the good work Amy

Hepatitis

Angharad's picture

is an inflammation of the liver. It can be caused by all sorts of things from viral infections, bacterial infections, injury, blockage of bile ducts, gall stones, cirrhosis and probably many other things.

Angharad

Angharad

The paramedics arrived within twenty minutes

NoraAdrienne's picture

I live in NYC and I have to tell you... if it took that long here for an ambulance to arrive the city would be sued very quickly. My son is an EMT with a local volunteer organization.. (actually the largest volunteer group in North America) the first responders get to you within 5-8 minutes.. and once they call for a bus with paramedic it's only a few minutes longer.

When my father in law had an incident at our dinner table.. There was en EMT at our door within 5 minutes. Thankfully Gramps was ok and refused transport to an ER.

Depends on where you live

As a former volunteer First Responder here in north Texas, one of the main reasons we exist is due to the distance from the paid professionals that we live at. We can arrive and start BLS (Basic Life Support) while the paramedics and ambulance are still in route. It would be nice if everybody had an ambulance within a few minutes distance, but the closest ones for us are at least 20 minutes driving time away via Interstate 35, longer if we are on a call in a rural area. Farm equipment and human bodies tend to interact poorly when placed in close proximity in an "inappropriate" manner. On those sort of calls, an ambulance w/EMT is rolled and a Life Flight helicopter launched at the same time we receive the call, just in case, and are called off if not needed. Not everybody has the same resources a large metropolitan area has; and our UK cousins may do things a bit differently.

I remember an episode of "Emergency!" that had a firefighter from the UK riding along with Roy and Johnny, learning how the paramedic system works; that was 30+ years ago and I have no idea what sort of system is now in place there.

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You Are a Sweetheart!

Thank you for not 'spoiling' this part! Thank you for keeping up the quality in your story-telling!

Thank you also for explaining neeps and "Oor Wullie" and "The Broons"

Now, if you could just explain what an "Aga cooker" is for us colonials, I would really appreciate it! I take it that it has nothing to do with the Aga Khan? ;)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Aga cookers

Angharad's picture

are cookers which have a couple of hotplates on the top, with one or two ovens. They are large cast iron edifices, which can be run on solid fuel, oil or gas. They can run limited numbers of radiators, and hot water systems. The ovens are one fast and one slow, the bottom oven being the slow one. They are monsters which heat half your house, but have to be run all the time. They are very costly these days.

Angharad

Angharad

More Aga info…

…can be found at:– http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGA_cooker

We had a solid fuel Aga during the 1960s. It was wonderful and kept the whole house warm even though we didn't have central heating as well as acting as a cooker. It also heated our hot water.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Can't you get ...

... a contract with the BBC for an unlimited TV series? Who might play Cathy, Stella and Simon?

marie c.

marie c.

I wish!

Angharad's picture

But can you seriously see anyone in their right mind being interested in a saga which features GID and dormice?

Life follows art (I use the term loosely) but Natural Scotland is asking for records of sightings of Scottish wildcats, of which they have no idea of numbers or distribution. Of course in my fictional survey, this would have been amongst the target animals. Sadly now of endangered status, along with pine martens and pole cats.

Angharad

Angharad

Antipodean

joannebarbarella's picture

Many of you probably know that Kiwis eat fush'n'chups, And sex is hessian bags. We Aussies of course speak pure English. The best bit of graffiti I can remember was on a wall in Sydney, where there are nearly as many EnZedders as in Auckland.It said:

AUSTRALIA SUCKS
And underneath someone had written:
NEW ZEALAND NIL

Footrot Flats

erin's picture

A Kiwi comic strip that used to represent the NZ accent always looked to me like someone from Ulster living in Sydney trying to write down what a Yorkshireman raised in Dorset sounded like. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Oor Wullie, The Broons

I too used to read them years ago - sort of Calvin and Hobbes (which I'm also addicted to along with Asterix) for northerners!

Things are getting bloody hectic again aren't they. Yo seem to be an adrenalin junkie who can't keep a reasonable pace going for long before going at it at a dead run...

Marvellous stuff girly

NB

DON'T do it, Niether Cathy

DON'T do it, Niether Cathy nor I could survive without Stella in the mix.
Stella's a highly trained RN she should know when to call for an ambulance, what is wrong with her ?
All because of an abortion clinic.

Cefin