Junior Year ~ Part 12

Printer-friendly version

Momma shouts up the stairs, “Paige? Francie? Are you girls ready? Angi and I are leaving!”

I poke my head around the corner and say loud enough that Momma can hear at the bottom of the stairs, “Just a minute Momma. I can’t get my bag zipped!”

I go back into my room and Francie comes and SITS on my bag. I quickly zip it and pray that the zipper will hold against the bulging pressure mounting from the inside. I pull it up onto its wheels with a grunt and start pulling it towards the stairs. I look back and give Francie a cheeky look and ask, “Coming?”

Francie giggles and goes to get her own bag. We navigate them down the stairs and to the garage. We load them into Momma’s Mercedes SUV and climb into the back seat. Momma and Mummy are waiting for us in the front—making a good effort at pretending to be impatient. I look at the clock and it reads five a.m. I yawn.

Momma starts the car and backs out. Alecia’s grandparents offered us to stay with them at their ski chalet for Christmas as payment for the time that Alecia spent with us here in Mummy’s house over fall break and Mummy’s support. Alecia truly has grown as a person and is adjusting well to becoming the girl she is meant to be, especially with Mummy’s help.

I am still not sure how it is all supposed to work out with Mindy here and us there—but Momma says she has it handled. I don’t ask any questions—I think I REALLY don’t want to know.

It is a little over a ten-hour drive to where we are headed and we all take a turn at the wheel. We also have a great time as a group—singing Christmas carols and sipping hot chocolate the whole way. When we get there, we are all blown away by the ‘chalet’—it is more like a Swiss mansion. Alecia’s grandparents are there—and so is Alecia.

We all hug and giggle and sit down to a supper of a hearty, hot chowder and crusty, warm bread with butter. I am even allowed a little wine. The food is wonderful and the mood is so…relaxed; but appropriately somber—in honor of this time of year.

I still can’t believe that Alecia is, well…Alecia. I mean, she is a lovely girl—in all senses of the word. And her grandparents—there is NO way that they can be related to…Misty. They are SO NICE! I don’t know how much they know about…Misty…but, I have a feeling that they are not ignorant about at least SOME of the details.

We finish eating and make plans to go skiing in the morning. We all go up to get ready for bed. I wash and moisturize my face and stretch as I climb into the heavenly, comfortable bed, Francie and I have separate rooms—at least officially. It doesn’t take long for her to climb in bed with me, though.

o~O~o

I wake up and look around the room—it is beautiful! I look into Francie’s eyes, in bed next to me and smile wider. She wakes up and smiles at me. We kiss and get up to get ready. We neither one know ONE THING about skiing, but ‘Gramma Jenny’ is going to be our teacher.

Alecia rushes into our room, already dressed, and without knocking. I turn a little red and say, “Ummm…Alecia? Maybe knock next time?”

She giggles and says, “It’s just us girls, right? And I totally KNEW that you and Francie were in here together. Don’t worry, I won’t tell Gramma and Grampa! Although, I don’t think they would care—they are both TOTALLY in love with you both.”

We get into our skiing outfits and hurry down to meet up with Gramma. We spend the morning learning how to ‘plow’ on the ‘bunny slope’. By lunch, we are pretty good at it and Gramma says that we will pick it up again tomorrow.

I sigh, because I have to go back and work on the ‘House’ spreadsheet for school. Gramma goes to meet up with the rest for an afternoon of REAL skiing. Francie and I look at each other and giggle as she expertly skis to the lift to one of the ‘black’ (expert) slopes.

After a wonderful lunch that Francie and I put together (who knew I could BE so hungry), I work on the spreadsheet in the sunroom and Francie lounges and reads a steamy romance novel. After two hours, I have Pink House sorted out… I go over and kiss Francie and she pulls me into a deeper one…

We go down to help with supper after we both take a bath to clean up and get relaxed. After we eat, we all play a bunch of board games and have an overall great time. Bed comes all too soon, but is certainly welcome—we are all dead tired after the exciting day; well those of us that aren’t USED to skiing, anyways.

The next days are basic repeats of the first. Ski lessons for Francie and me in the morning (Momma and Mummy both already know how—who knew?) and Francie relaxing while I work on the ‘Houses’ in the afternoons; then fun and games in the evening.

Mummy continues to work with Alecia and she is making a LOT of progress, especially physically—those hormones are really kicking in. Mummy is even ready to give her an implant. And she actually gets it on Christmas day. Needless to say, there aren’t any better presents that anyone else gets!

Overall, Christmas day is a wonderful day. There is so much camaraderie, so much love—so many presents. None of those can light a candle to the feeling of belonging—the only thing that will make that better is when the wedding happens next summer. Nothing can REPLACE Dad—but this is a VERY close clone. Even gaining new ‘grandparents’ is so fulfilling… I never knew Dad’s parents...

Alecia knocks on my door after Christmas dinner. She pulls me out of my somber reverie. I smile as I invite her in. She sits on the bed next to me and I brush out her now shoulder-length hair. She sighs in contentment and asks me, “Paige, are you really OK with your implant. I mean, I TRULY am so grateful for mine—I AM Alecia. I couldn’t have gotten a better Christmas present from Angi. I…I…I feel so sorry for what my Dad did to you… It is so unfair!”

I hug her and say, “Alecia, Hon. I am at peace with my lot. No, I would not have chosen this path. Yes, I am truly happy. Things happen for a reason. Look at us now. We are a tight-knit family—all of us, together. I’m sorry your Dad isn’t part of that—I truly am. I know what it’s like to lose a Dad.”

We hug each other and cry together. Then we fix each other’s makeup and go down for family night.

That night, I reflect on the last several days. Christmas is awesome in this community—and our family seems to have truly grown. We are fully accepted by Alecia and her grandparents. And they are fully accepted by us.

So, it is no surprise that the new year is rung in with love and commitments for a full and meaningful year by all of us. Oh, I also get to try champagne for the first time—not really a fan (although, it IS better with orange juice). I hug and kiss my love, Francie. I hug Alecia and whisper to her, “Welcome to the family, GIRL!” She smiles so brightly; it truly warms my heart (or it COULD be the champagne…)

The two weeks are gone in the blink of an eye and we are packing up to go back home. Francie and I both actually make it down a ‘red’ (intermediate) slope on the last day. The last night is another big meal and loads of ‘family time’.

We leave the next morning amidst promises of another ‘family reunion’ here at the Chateau for Easter. I hug Gramma and Grampa and they hug me back, tightly. Gramma whispers in my ear, “You are a special lady, Paige. Thank you for what you’re doing for Alecia. And…don’t you DARE let Francie go—she is JUST as special.” She winks at me as she breaks the hug and I blush bright red.

The ride back is somehow longer than the ride there. At least I have time to finish the spreadsheet in the car. I smile as I save it and say, “Done! Every student is assigned to a house—and PINKS still ROCK!”

Mummy is driving and giggles. She looks at me in the mirror and says, “Good work, Love! This is going to work. I just know it!”

o~O~o

I stand on the stage for our first assembly. Ronnie has turned the microphone over to me. She has explained most of how this is to work—a month in the assigned house; a house-related project (self-defined, but meaningful); a chance to change houses ONCE during the month (with GOOD reason); and then houses become voluntary.

I step up to the microphone and say, in a nervous tone, “Hi everyone. Umm…well, the house rosters will be posted by the time assembly is over. If you’re in Pink house, then come see me—I’m head pink. Miss Ferguson did not go into the houses, there is pink, green, blue…”

I am SO glad THAT is over. It took me a half hour to explain the houses. There are some incredulous looks about such house as yellow (lesbians) or lavender (gay boys) or that there could be too many in any other than pink or blue. Of course, there ARE some openly gays…and their scores DID substantiate their status. Of course, I KNOW there are going to be surprises—and lots of grumbling—and hopefully, some ‘coming outs’…

After I meet with the heads of the houses (these had been selected based on scores and willingness to lead), I go to Room 326—‘Pink HQ’ and wait for my initiates. A good number of them are on the cheer team—no surprise there. Several are guys that I would NEVER have pegged as potential TG; let alone pink material. The others are more or less no surprise—all genetic females…

The group trickles in. I hug my cheer peeps as they come in. Of course, Penny and Paulette are yellow…but COULD transfer to pink later, if they choose.

When Jonathan and Greg come in—they are both furious. They are seniors—there are several other boys that are in lower grades and they all look shell-shocked to be here—ten, in all. Jonathan says, “This is an OUTRAGE! How did I get assigned to this…this…this PINK HELL?” Greg looks less furious, but not really happy, either.

I say, “Calm down, Jonathan, right? I promise you that the test doesn’t lie. You are here for a reason. Now, you can fight it. You can ignore it. You can even be a bitch about it. But, for the next month, you’re going to HAVE to get used to it. In two weeks, you can change WITH GOOD REASON, if you so choose. The same goes for ALL of you… Now, can we please all sit down. Since we are a mixture of grades and I don’t think everyone knows everyone…”

We spend the next half hour telling each other who we are. Some are more open than others. Then Ronnie stops by and reminds everyone about the grade aspects of this and people become more ‘engaged’.

I close the session by saying, “OK, fellow pinks. First, always remember that pinks ROCK—we ARE the best. Second, we always want to show that we are pinks. I will be dressing accordingly over the next month. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to DRESS in pink—just, well in a very feminine way. Jonathan and Greg—you’ll have to decide how you show your allegiance for the next two weeks. Give an honest try and if you still feel that you don’t belong in two weeks, I won’t stand in your way of transferring.”

Jonathan grumbles—to put it mildly. Greg looks thoughtful. The other girls are already making plans amongst themselves. I smile—I have forty-eight pinks; well, I am pretty sure I have thirty-six—the boys…well, time will tell.

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

...methinks they doth protest

...methinks they doth protest too much! They are either not as masculine as they think they are or they didn't take the test seriously and gave joke answers. Either way, some time in Pink House might do them a world of good. It seems like Greg might not be one of those who were "misplaced" and the whole bully/football/tough guy thing is all an act, or so I gather from your last paragraph...

Of course I am assuming that the inevitable will happen and their parents bitch and moan about their sons' placement and are going to threaten legal action unless they get changed to something more "suitable". It just seems natural that someone would sue, and those two bozos' parents are the most likely to do it. I do hope that when it does happen Greg finally plucks up the courage to say something.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Depending on the type

Personality profile tests are notoriously difficult to fool, at least significantly, yes it is possible but the good ones require intimate familiarity with the methodology behind it to fool

Exactly!

The results are validated and these boys fit the profile. Like it or not! :D

HUGS!

You specifically mentioned

You specifically mentioned that before and she spent quite a bit of time trying to skew it all different ways but the parents won't see it that way.

I fear for her but I know that they are going to lose against the school and Angi and Paige!

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Oh, yes...

The bigots will fight... But--BRING IT ON! :D

HUGS!

What really upsets a lot of

What really upsets a lot of males, is to find out that until the early 1900s, PINK was the color for boys and BLUE for girls. Why the colors flipped, I have not been able to truly understand; and yet even today, there are males who love various shades of Pink and girls who love various shades of Blue. Then, let us speak of the mixture of the two colors which gives you a rather nice shade of Lavender.

HAVE to?

Jamie Lee's picture

It's good to see Paige being very accepting of Alecia. And that she isn't blamed for her fathers' action - the pig.

HAVE to? They HAVE to be in any of the houses? Again students are being forced to do something with the threat of grades being held over their heads. How is forcing students into these houses different than what happened before? There are more groups now, but it's still going to be this group against that group. It's true that wasn't how it was intended, but over time that's how it will end up. It's human, and student nature. And while Greg might like the idea, that Jonathan doesn't like the idea does not necessarily mean he's hiding his true desires or not male enough to participate. He may actually have very valid reasons which have yet to surface. Fear is one reason. But fear of what, that's the question. Jonathan needs handled very carefully.

Personality test results are very subjective in obtaining results. They can't but help be.

The results of personality tests are based on the data of those who designed the tests at first. If that data showed this, then that was how " this" should be interpreted. And so on. But who said the initial interpretations were correct? Others using the same guide lines to test the data can't but help come to the same conclusions.

Our interpretations of events or actions are really based on our own experiences and learning. No one can be totally objective when testing another individual, our own bias or expectations get mixed in. We're humans, it's how we work. Only something not human in any way could design and interpret a truly honest personality test. But who wants something inhuman deciding their fate?

And by the way, everyone has a choice as to whether they will or won't participate in something. They don't HAVE to do anything. On this planet the only thing life has no choice in is dying. That is one HAVE to which nothing gets out of.

Others have feelings too.

Well

Look at it this way, the entire thing is for extra credit. Also the good personality tests are very hard to fool, you can lean the results a little, but the thing is, is that they ask a ton of different questions, many of which are very similar, but written in different ways, once you start seeing the near repeat questions you naturally start to think deeper about the answers, and the good ones aren't straight forward, often times it comes out to a quadrant chart, or other sliding scales, as for unbiased or minimal bias interpretation, we use math and by extension computers to calculate the scores, and have for years, with respectable accuracy, the and the basis for the interpretation is done based on not one individual, but a large sample, to help fine tune the results. Think about the Turing Test, flipped around and with the assumption that the one taking the test is human, the goal instead is to evaluate the personality of that human, based on the way hundreds of humans with known personality types have responded to the same questions, the base sample would be evaluated by multiple professionals to decide on the personality type they represent, with as much detail as possible, larger the base sample, the more accurate the test, the more people involved in making the test, the less subjective it will be, these kinds of tests can take years to make and continually are updated until a new test system is agreed on being better.

I agree...

The really good tests are hard to fool...and this is a good one.

As for the 'have to' part, the program is voluntary. Those that don't 'play' don't get extra credit--but they don't lose anything either, except the opportunity to participate. :)

HUGS!