Consequences: A New Life Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Thanks as always to Robyn Hood, Emily and Cressar. And to everyone who has commented and kept with the story :)

I hope you enjoy this, the penultimate episode of Consequences

Part Nine

We are sat backstage as Tina searches for illicit cigarettes in her handbag.

"Gawd Tina, I am soooo glad we hang out now," I say in a loud whisper. "I can't believe I was spending time with that munter Andi and her sadsack friends." Tina smiles conspiratorially at me.

"Don't worry about it, Chlo, you were the new kid," she says, resting her hand on my arm, "you could always tell you were worth more."

Mrs Travers's voice comes over the speakers telling us that the dress rehearsal was about to start.

"No time for these," Tina pulls out a pack of French cigarettes and grins. My nerves need the smoke but my eyes are feasting on her beautiful Tom Ford bag. It puts my ugly, last season Burberry to shame. I wonder if I can persuade Mummy and Daddy to take me to the West End at the weekend? I'll have to try Mummy first, she's always on my side when it comes to clothes.

Speaking of clothes, I’m delighted to be trying out our costumes. Tina looks amazing of course in Gatsby's white suit, but I know it’s me who steals the show in my glittering flapper dress. I could be in prohibition New York, maybe on the arm of some gangster. I imagine that townie kid Billy in a broad-shouldered striped suit and carrying a violin case under one arm. Not that I'd ever lower myself to dating a townie, but the thought does make me tingle a bit.

As the cast gets together at the front of the stage so Mrs Travers can address us all I spot Andi and Lotte sulking off to one side. They keep shooting me little glances. Jealous, no doubt, but what did they expect? They just don't have what it takes to hang out in the popular crew. Sure they were nice, not that I would admit that to Tina or any of the others. I do feel a little sorry for them, but you can't let people like that hold you back. That's what Mummy always says.

Mrs. Travers tells us not to worry; dress rehearsal is where we get to make all the mistakes, which is good because shit keeps happening. My big scene with Tina, where Gatsby and Daisy set eyes on each other after years apart is ruined by a fake pillar collapsing at the wrong moment. Honestly, you wouldn't have thought the art department had had two months to get things right.

"Want to go get some fries afterwards?" Tina is referring to our ritual of sharing a small McDonalds fries after rehearsals, "Daddy has left me Mark so he can drive us." Mark is Tina's dad's driver. She's so lucky to have someone to take her where she wants to go, I have to depend on Mummy like I'm some little kid.

"No, sorry I can't. The play is on Saturday," - two days – "so I've got to purge!" I see Tina pout at me. "You’re lucky," I admonish her, "you can hide in that suit, I've got to fit into that dress." I think of how amazing I am going to look. Mummy will be there, and there will be photos and filming. These things will matter when I am a famous actress.

I stub out my cigarette on the red brick wall next to the fire exit and air kiss Tina on both cheeks. The village is quiet and dark as I walk. I close my eyes and enjoy the warm air against my skin. I’m so glad I no longer have to wear that high street bought duffel coat. I have no idea why Mummy doesn’t just throw it out!

As I get close to the bus stop I spot Andi and her friend Lotte. They have coats on but underneath I can see they’re wearing their costumes. How sad I think, they mustn't have anything better to wear. I nearly fall over when I spot two boys with them. My hand goes to my mouth as I recognise Billy. The shocks keep coming as I see Billy's friend kissing Andi.

How is that possible? How can she have a boyfriend and not me? I hang back in the shade not wanting to be spotted. Billy's friend isn't bad looking; how on Earth did she pull him? I know that townies have lower standards but come on! Another figure arrives, a girl I think, although it’s hard to tell with the hood of her hoodie pulled up. She’s carrying an open bag of chips, I can smell them from here. It makes my stomach growl so loudly I fear I will be spotted. No food can taste as good as thin feels I remind myself.

My head is hurting. It’s a funny type of headache, it feels like someone, or something is pounding on the back of my head trying to get in. It must be the weirdness of seeing Andi with a boyfriend. I turn back on myself deciding to take the lane that goes past the Duke's Arms and avoid the centre of the village all together. The fresh air does the trick, clearing my head. It takes me an extra ten minutes but it’s worth it. Mummy’s still up when I get in. She’s sitting in the living room chatting to someone so I decide to take a look.

"Hello, baby," she says; I hate it when she calls me that! "You’re late," she adds casually.

"Rehearsals ran late, problems with the set," I have my excuse ready. What I see makes me stop. "Tim!" I exclaim, "You’re here!" I run to where he’s standing and throw my arms around him.

"I couldn't miss your theatrical debut, could I?" Tim says smiling as I hug him half to death. We sit down and I proceed to tell Tim everything about the production and explain the clothes, especially those worn by Tina and I, in depth.

"But I thought you didn't like Tina?" Tim says suspiciously. I brush it away.

"That was before."

"Your sister is turning into one of the most beautiful women at that school. It’s only to be expected that the popular girls would recognise her for who she is," Mummy says, tousling my hair playfully and then gets up. "I'm going to have a glass of wine. Does either of you want something – a Coke, maybe?”

Tim says yes but I shake my head; even Diet Coke will make you fat. I do wish Mummy would take my dieting seriously. About an hour later we head up the stairs to bed. I tell Tim about everything I saw at the bus stop; I’ve been dying to tell someone.

"Can you believe Andi has a boyfriend before me? She's nowhere near as pretty," then realising I sound a little conceited I add, "everyone says so." I’m shocked when Tim shoots me an angry look.

"You know," he says, "I don't think the real Chloe was like this." He sighs, unable to look at me. "At least, not all the time." With that he heads into his room closing the door without saying anything more. I’m left staring at the door, close to tears and not knowing what to do. What does he mean, not the 'real' Chloe? That damn headache is back. I’m going to have to keep my window open and hope the fresh air makes it go away.

I spend the next day in my bedroom listening to records. Tina thinks it’s funny that I don’t just use Spotify but there is something about them that calms me down. I can’t stop thinking about what Tim said. What does he mean by ‘not the real Chloe’? I bury my head in my pillow and cry. Why would he say something so hurtful? Does he have some sort of crush on Andi? I can’t stand the thought.

The day of the play is finally here. I can't believe it’s been over two months since we first auditioned. I peep out through the curtain, it doesn't take me long to spot them there. Tim is sitting by the aisle and Mummy’s next to him. Next to her is Lena, Mummy gave her the ticket after Daddy said he couldn't make it.

"You have to remember he's a good provider and needs to work late sometimes," Mummy admonished me after I kicked up a fuss.

The play goes well. I feel a golden glow all through it. I’m even better than Tina, and she is superb. I get a little cross at some of the others; the girl playing Nick fluffs a few of her lines. But all in all it’s a triumph. Mrs Travers brings us all out on the stage to take the final bow. After we have done this Mrs Travers hands both Tina and me bouquets of flowers. I catch Andi and Lotte on the side lines looking sour, which of course makes me feel even better.

The changing rooms are buzzing as we all get out of our dresses. I run my fingers along the soft fabric of my red cocktail dress as I hand it up. I wish I could keep it; perhaps Mummy can find me something similar? Tina comes up to me. She looks a little red faced seeing me in my underwear. She can be funny sometimes.

"That was great, you were fabulous," she gushes making me blush a little. I've always hated how prone I am to blushing. "Are you going to join us for a celebration afterwards?" her voice goes quiet, "Maisie Stuart says we can go over to hers, she has vodka!"

"Totally," I smile, "Meet me out the fire escape for a cig first?"

"Sure," Tina says happily, "Just give me ten to change."

The weather is a little cooler than during the week and I have to pull on a cardigan. We huddle close together as we drain every last bit out of our cigarettes. We gossip happily about the play and which girls we thought were rubbish and we’re warmed by our mutual respect.

"I can't believe how good you were!" I exclaim, hoping of course to get more flattery back in return.

"I know, we were amazing," she says. I would have preferred something specifically about myself but I'll take it.

"We’re the perfect doomed couple!" and I giggle at the thought. Tina comes closer; I try to back away but I'm pushed up against the safety bar along the side of the steps.

"I think so too," she says, and then, before I can figure out what’s going on, she lunges at me and plants a kiss on my lips.

"What the fuck?" I shout, my head starting to pound. "Why did you do that?"

"I, I, I thought you'd like it," Tina looks scared and vulnerable.

"What? I'm not gay!" and that terrible pounding starts in my head again. "Why would you think that?"

"Don't you dare tell the others," Tina says, her face screwed up and mean now. "They won't believe you, anyway." She pushes past me hurtling down the steps. Before she leaves she turns to me, "Everyone knows you told Andi you’re a lesbian. I'll say you came on to me."

"Fuck off you will!" I shout back.

"You practically did. Fluttering your eyes, flicking your hair. I know what you've been up to!" I stagger back a little; there’s real anger in her voice. My mouth is gaping open as she disappears into the evening. I thought she was my friend…

I spend the next hour in a daze. First Mrs Travers wants to show me off to a woman from an acting school in London. Normally I’d be thrilled but this damned headache won't go away. Then comes Mummy, Tim and Lena. Thankfully, Mummy is distracted by some of the other mums and leaves me alone but Tim and Lena just want to talk about the play.
Maisie comes up and asks shyly if I want to come to hers afterwards. I am relieved as this means Tina hasn't said anything - at least, not yet.

"You should go," Tim smiles, "I'll explain to Mum."

"Why don't you come as well?" Maisie asks Tim and her voice has a hungry edge to it.

"No, I don't want to cramp my sister's style," he says smoothly before turning and heading to the refreshments table.

"I'll come along afterwards," I reassure a crestfallen Maisie, "I just have to say hi to few people first." I’m glad when she leaves. My head’s still pounding and I don't want to be around people. Maybe I should go to the party and try and talk to Tina? Then I picture her angry face and decide I can't face her. I should ask Mummy for a lift home but for some reason I don't want to.

In the end I decide I need fresh air. It seems to be the only thing that helps me. I wander around the village in the evening light. The sky’s turning red and I remember the old rhyme about a red sky at night being a shepherd’s delight. We should be in for more good weather tomorrow.

Without realising it my feet have taken me to the old concrete bus shelter where I saw Andi kissing that boy two nights ago. I sit and put my head in my hands; I don't cry but I’m happy to let my hair fall across my face shielding me from the world. I’m not sure how long I’ve been there for but after a while I realise I’m not alone. I look up, a cascade of auburn hair blurring my view.

"Hello, who’s there?" I ask.

"Hello, Emma," says a woman's voice with a northern accent.

"My name's not Emma," I start but the temples of my forehead being to pound. I brush my hair out of my face. I see tall girl, perhaps sixteen or seventeen years old. She has short-ish hair with red streaks in it and high cheek bones. I try to stand but find myself wobbling on my feet.

"Hey Chloe, can we speak to Emma please?" the strange woman asks patiently.

"What, what do you mean?" I mutter, my speech slurring and the world spinning around me.

"It's me Emmy - Poppy," she smiles at me. I feel like I’ve been hit by a ton of bricks and I try to stagger away.

"You... you’re crazy. I don't know any Poppy," I say, feeling her name with my tongue as I say it, almost tasting it. Even in my fuzzy state it seems like it’s something very important. I try to move away but two hands grab me from behind.

"Sorry Em, but it is for your own good," says another northern voice.

"J-J-Jessie, is that you?" How do I know her name?

"Hold still,” says Jessie and I notice Billy the boy from the village coming up to me. Behind him I see Andi and Lotte.

"Get help!" I call out pointlessly - of course, they are in on this.

"Sorry about this Chloe, I mean Emma," Billy looks at Poppy who doesn't look happy but gives a resigned shrug. Finally Billy looks back to me and leans in.

"No!" I shriek, but to no avail. Why does this keep happening to me today? My head hurts and then everything turns to black.

When I come around I’m lying on a sofa in the living room of some house I don't recognise. A middle-aged woman I also don't recognise is standing over me.

"I think she's awake," the woman says to people I can't see. I’m startled when several faces suddenly appear. It takes me a while but I recognise Poppy, Billy, Jessie and Andi.
"How are you doing, Chloe?" asks Andi.

"Don't call me that," I say rubbing my head, it feels like I've had a big bang on the head, "My name’s Emma."

Everyone sighs with relief. "Welcome back, Emmy," Poppy says smiling broadly, "Do you remember much?"

I try to sit up but soon have to lie straight back down again. The middle-aged woman mutters something about getting a glass of water and disappears.

"I remember Lily finding Jessie in my bedroom," I groan.

"That was weeks ago, way over a month," Jessie says to Poppy, who nods.

"You don't remember anything else," Andi says. "The play, school, anything?"

"I remember being taken to see Doctor Fields, feeling drowsy the whole way." I try to force myself to think, "I remember some things, like the costumes, and..." I touch my lips, "being kissed." Billy looks a little sheepish. "It feels like I fell asleep when a film was on and parts of the film crept in my mind.” Suddenly something occurs to me and I leap up pointing at Poppy.

"You can't be here, they’ll have you sent to prison if they find out."

"They aren't going to find out," says Poppy. Her voice is soft and patient but it doesn't reassure me.

"What time is it? I have to get back." I look from face to face pleading for them to see sense. None of this will be worth it if they take Poppy.

"We have to get you out, and soon," says Jessie.

"It's true," Poppy says, "Jessie and Danielle checked," she nods at the middle-aged woman who has returned holding a glass of water which she gives to me. "They both work as cleaners at New Body so they checked the files. Fields thinks it will take between six and eight weeks for the Chloe programming to become completely dominant." I look at her as though she’s crazy.

"I don't care what happens to me!" I say, hating how childish my voice sounds.

"But I do," Poppy grabs me by the arms, for a moment I am frightened by the mad look in her eyes. "Don't you see, it’s been six weeks already. If you don't come with us we risk losing Emma and Mark forever," she says with great intensity.

"Perhaps Mark should have died all those months ago in that street in Shoreditch..." I can feel warm tears running down my cheeks.

"But not Emma!" Everyone’s looking at Poppy as she flails her arms around like a demented windmill. "You’re more than just a man trapped in a woman's body or the ghost of what some grieving couple think their daughter was like. You’re more than the sum of your parts - you’re a person."

I only realise I’m shaking when Jessie puts her arms around me. "It's true," she says hardly audible over my sobs, "you ain't the stuck up bitch I thought you were. You’re alright." She pauses, holding back her own waterworks. "And you don't have to do this alone."

The next few minutes pass quickly; I’m introduced to Danielle, the woman who employed Jessie. She tells me doesn’t think it’s right what they’re doing to me. Apparently Danielle’s going to drive us to the station in Milton Keynes.

"But won't they be watching the stations?" I ask perplexed; surely Lily and Edward will have called the police by now?

"They don't know you've gone yet," Andi says, "they think you’re still at Maisie's party."

"Also they’ll assume we'll be heading north," Poppy smiles and I look at her not understanding. "We’re going to head west." I just shake my head, still not getting it. "To Swansea and Greta." I start to protest that I don't want to bring anyone else in on this, but Poppy just shoves a bundle of clothes into my arms. "Shut up and get changed," she smiles. I look down at the dungarees and striped long sleeve t-shirt she’s given me.

"Okay," I say finally, making up my mind to do this. I look up at the others who are standing there staring at me. "Er, guys… can I have some privacy?" This breaks the spell and they all laugh before turning to leave. "Not you," I say ruefully to Poppy who looks a little sheepish. Once the others are through the door I turn to her. "Thank you," I whisper as we edge closer. My body tingles as she puts her hand on the back of my head to draw me in for a kiss. Has she got taller or have I shrunk a few inches?

"No distractions, just get dressed," she admonishes me.

"Awww," I say, hoping to keep her close for a while longer.

"Have you seen what you look like?" Poppy says with a smile, then hands me a compact mirror from her bag. I look at my face and then at my body. I can't believe the dumb lacy dress I am wearing. God, with pale pink tights as well.

"Wait," I stammer, "are those highlights in my hair?"

Poppy laughs at me, "Just get changed, Princess." After I'm in the dungarees and t-shirt Poppy hands me a baseball cap.

"I made this for my interview for the fashion course at South Manchester." I look at it; it reads 'Poppy's Girl" in light green writing.

"Really?" I ask.

"Well, they’ve offered me a place," she winks at me. There's so much I want to ask. GCSEs must be close, is it right that she's here with me instead of revising? Nothing comes out, however. I just fiddle with the hat for a while. Eventually I tie my hair into a ponytail and put the cap on.

"I'm proud to wear it," I say taking her hand. In the hallway Danielle, Jessie and Billy are waiting for me.

"We’d better be quick," says Danielle, "you don't want to miss the train and end up waiting around in the station for another hour." Poppy nods in agreement.

"Billy’s coming with us - apparently he has an effect on you." She doesn't sound too happy about it.

"I'm coming too," says Jessie and I notice she’s holding Billy's hand.

"Hey, that's jailbait," I say, gently mocking Jessie.

"Well, look who’s talking!" Jessie looks at both Poppy and me. "Anyway,” she says a little defensively, “I'm still fifteen till next month and Bill is fourteen so it doesn't matter too much." I smile and hug her. "Thank you for everything," then I turn to Billy, "And thank you too."

"Come on, Scooby Gang," Danielle says, "less of the emotions. We're not Americans!"

With that we get in the car. I get in the back followed by Billy because of the 'effect' he has on me. I catch Poppy and Jessie exchanging worried glances as he does. Billy’s followed by Poppy and then Jessie gets into the front. As we drive through dull looking suburban streets I take out Chloe's phone.

"Shit," I say, "there's a text from Lily." I read it out:

Lily: What time will you be home honey, do you want Edward to pick you up?

"Shit, shit, shit," I mumble. The text was sent nearly half an hour ago.

"Give it here," says Poppy. I do as I’m told and she types something into it. "We'll tell her you've gone over to Andi's," Poppy looks at me, "She’s been told to delay them as much as possible."

"We'll need to get rid of the phone, they’ll be able to track it," Danielle says from the front seat. Jessie takes it from Poppy.

"I'll get a ticket to London and then lose it somewhere," she tells us. We say goodbye on the station platform. I notice Billy and Jessie holding hands.

“Shut up!” says Jessie when she catches me looking, but I can see she’s smiling.

The train is fairly empty so Poppy and I have no trouble finding a place to sit. We’ve bought tickets to Birmingham New Street; from there we’ll get a train to Newport, then a bus to Swansea. Hopefully this way we’ll make it harder for them to track us.

The sun’s going down, bathing the English countryside in a red glow. I lean my head on Poppy’s shoulder feeling clearer, and happier, than I have in many months. Poppy strokes my hand then squeezes my fingers. Neither of us speaks; we don’t need to.

It is past midnight when our Megabus arrives in central Swansea. Greta is waiting for us. At first I don’t see her in the shadows as she is wearing black and grey but she comes into the light when we get closer.

We hug without saying anything, Greta squeezes me tight. She turns to Poppy and says, “The police have already called. They came over about two hours ago.”

“D’you think they suspect?” Poppy asks nervously.

“I told them Emma and I hardly know each other.” She smiles at me, “I think they bought the jealous daddy’s girl routine.”

“Are you sure they aren’t watching you?” Poppy asks.

“I drove around for a while before coming here. I didn’t see anyone following me. Julie says she has an unmarked police car parked outside the flat. I think they suspect you’ll make a break for Manchester.”

“That’s good news. Do you have it?” Poppy replies.

“Does she have what?” I look from Poppy to Greta. Greta pulls something that looks like a TV remote out of her handbag and points it at me. There’s a flash, everything goes blank, and then I’m back.

“What the hell was that?” I say, a little annoyed at being treated like an old DVD player. Greta smiles broadly.

“I just switched you to aeroplane mode.” She must see I’m still confused. “So they can’t track you like they did when you were kidnapped,” she explains. I got it from an IT expert in Birmingham. She works with the police sometimes so she knows her business. It’s actually a modified TV remote.” I’m a little shocked it hasn’t occurred to me before.

“Couldn’t they have been tracking me since we left?”

“It takes hours to scan an area the size of a county, what with all the noise from modems and mobile phones,” Greta says. “Hopefully you were out of the area before they started to look.”

I run my fingers through my newly cropped hair. It’s short again, and dyed silvery-blond. My roots are showing but Poppy calls it ‘punk’. Greta did it to help aid our escape. I can’t believe we’re leaving after less than twenty four hours.

I stand in front of Greta not knowing what to say. I want to thank her from the bottom of my heart, but I settle for a hug and a little sniffling. Poppy loads the larger rucksack on her back and grunts, “It’s time we got going.” She’s not been in a good mood as I’ve refused to sleep with her. I can’t put her in danger again.

“Where are we going?” I ask Poppy for the thousandth time. She just shakes her head and smiles to herself.

“I can’t tell you. It’s for your own protection.” She turns away; I let her have this little victory as a peace offering.

We take two small buses, firstly to Carmarthen and then on to Milford Haven. The sun is up over the sea and we sit in silence watching the calm water. Poppy holds my hand and I know the fight is over. I turn and smile at her. I am free, but it may not last long so I’m going to enjoy every moment. Poppy ruffles my hair.

“I guess I’m going to have to give in,” she whispers in my ear.

“What?”

“I’m fighting a losing battle,” I turn a little and see that she’s smiling, “you’re always going to be a bit of a tomboy.” She kisses me just behind the ear and right there, right then, I’d happily abandon my ‘no sex’ policy. I look around and see an elderly lady watching us while she pops pick-and-mix in her gob. What a way to kill the mood, lady.

At Milford Haven we have half an hour before the next bus to Aberystwyth. We buy bacon balms and sit in the bus shelter. A light rain is blowing from the Atlantic. We watch a pair of seagulls fighting over half a bag of chips, probably left over from last night.

The next bus is more crowded. Poppy says we should go to the top floor, where we’ll get a better view over the sea. There’s a group of boys, school kids, sitting up front who watch us closely as we head up the stairs and to the back. It’s strange to realise that there are people living their normal lives. I feel like we’re characters in a computer game who have wondered out of our normal zones of activity and I keep expecting a glitch to spring us back where we should be. The boys are loud and energetic, but thankfully they leave us alone. They’re throwing crisps at each other and play-wrestling.

“Come on, Pops, where are we going?” I ask, watching her looking out of the window.

“Fancy something to read?” she replies, changing the subject. I roll my eyes.

“Go on, then, what have you got?” I ask and she pulls out two graphic novels; she gives ‘Alice in Sunderland’ by Bryan Talbot to me and keeps ‘The Sandman’ by Neil Gaiman for herself. As the bus chugs along I feel my eyes getting drowsy. What with everything I haven’t slept properly since Oxfordshire. Poppy has to nudge me to stop me falling out of my chair asleep. I smile at her and try to right myself but as soon as I do I feel my eyelids going again.

“Mark, Mark, can you hear me?” It’s a woman’s voice, one I recognise but can’t place; somewhere in the background I can hear other voices, “Mark, stay with us. Don’t go.”
I sit up with a bolt realising that I’ve been resting my head on Poppy’s shoulder. “Did you hear someone,” I say groggily. She just looks at me and shakes her head.

From Aberystwyth we head to Caernarfon and then on to Bangor. By now we’ve covered the whole of Cardigan Bay, always taking small local services. In Bangor we wait for the ferry to take us across the water to Anglesey. I am nervous as we wait on the walkway. We watch two men talking as the ferry pulls in to dock. There is a loud bang as the ferry and the walkway meet, then another one as they start to let the cars on board.

We watch the tops of the cars from above. Yet more people living their lives, blissfully unaware of the crazy shit going on in mine. I glance up at the two workmen, praying they let us on quickly. In my mind I imagine police jumping out at any minute. On the buses I felt safe, hidden in the ordinariness of everything. I couldn’t imagine a SWAT team jumping out from behind the woman with the Aldi shopping bags. Here however it feels unreal, transient: the perfect place for an ambush.

“Ever been to Anglesey before?” Poppy asks.

“In the last year of primary school. All the schools in the area organised a getaway for the kids about to graduate to secondary school. Kind of an icebreaker. It was at some adventure awayday centre,” I shrug. “It rained. A lot.”

“Hey, I went to that. I wonder if we were there at the same time,” she says excitedly. “Oh,” she adds as she realises, “Sorry. I forgot. It wasn’t even the same decade.”

“Shall we go outside?” I suggest, wanting to change the subject. The salt and the cold air fills my nostrils and we lean against the railing. On the horizon I can see a blue light pulsing. “What do you think that is?” I ask.

“What?” Poppy looks at me.

“The blue light. Is it a beacon, or a ship or something?” I look at her, the wind’s blowing the fringe of her hair into her face. Again I’m ready to chuck away the damned ‘no sex’ policy.

“I don’t see anything,” she says. I look back and the light has gone.

“It must have been a ship that’s moved away.” Poppy turns and says she wants to go back inside. I look back at the sea for one last time but the blue light hasn’t come back. “Funny, I thought I could hear a siren,” I mutter, mostly to myself.

I get a surprise as we walk off the ferry. A pleasant one. Standing there are Esse, Peter, Paddy and Tony. Standing behind them is Noah with some girl I don’t recognise.

“What!” I exclaim, I turn to Poppy and punch her playfully on the arm. “You cow,” I say, but I’m laughing.

“Is this ok?” Poppy is nervous.

“Of course!” I grab her hand, kiss her cheek and start dragging her towards the group. Within minutes I’m covered in hugs and hellos. Esse half lifts me up off the ground. I notice she and Peter are standing very close together.

Noah drives us in a rented VW van - a proper ‘Scooby Gang’. Esse talks excitedly about where we will be staying.

“It’s a cabin Noah’s dad owns, it is sooo cool!” she states,looking around the van. “We’re on a study break.” I smile as she goes through all the gossip from school and the band. Study leave? Of course they wont be going back to school until they take their GCSEs now. I feel oddly disconnected. Their lives are continuing, but what will happen to me? Will I still be going to school as Chloe when they’re all off at university?

It hits me that this could be the last time I get to be Emma and keep something of Mark alive. No doubt they will catch me, and when they do they’ll make sure Chloe takes over completely. There’s only one thing for it -party!

The cabin is located on a small, run down holiday park near the sea. The park is mostly dark, it being the off-season. In the distance I can see lights on the ocean. Ships travelling between Liverpool and Dublin perhaps? I keep an eye out for the blue light but it doesn’t reappear.

Noah takes my rucksack and introduces me to his girlfriend Christina. She seems nice, looking sporty in her rugby top. The booze flows freely and the music is loud. I’m glad the park is empty or we’d have the police down on us. Esse, Poppy and me hug as we sing along to Tom Waits.

“When I see the 5 o'clock news
I don't wanna grow up,”
We shout every second line.
“Comb their hair and shine their shoes
I don't wanna grow up
Stay around in my old hometown
I don't wanna put no money down
I don't wanna get me a big old loan
Work them fingers to the bone
I don't wanna float a broom
Fall in love and get married then boom
How the hell did it get here so soon
I don't wanna grow up”

We hold our drinks up in the air as we sing the last line, everyone joining in. After it finishes Esse and Peter pour over the iphone deciding on the next track. In the distance I hear what sounds like a police siren.

“Hey, did anyone else hear that?” I ask, my heart in my mouth.

“Hear what?” asks Paddy, glugging on a can of Red Stripe.

“I thought I heard a police car,” I say, feeling Poppy put her hand in mine. I look around; all the others shake their heads.

“It was probably on the main road. It must have passed by now,” Noah reassures me.

“Yeah sure,” I say trying to calm down. Poppy puts her arm around me and the party starts again.

“Hey someone get this girl a drink,” Poppy says and the tension in the room dissolves. Tony hands me a vodka and coke and I drink it down in one go. Once I’m finished Paddy hands me a Red Stripe. A few drinks later and the room’s getting fuzzy. I can hear Poppy and Esse laughing about something. Esse says something to me but I don’t understand. I need to get to the toilet, and quick. I get up off the couch and lurch forward but the room takes a spin and I fall over. I can hear everyone talking at me but I can’t focus on their voices. It is all turning to static. Everything goes black, and then everything goes white.

“Hello Mark – my, how you’ve changed.” It’s the same voice as the one I heard on the bus earlier. I’m lying on a white floor in a completely white room. The woman speaking to me kneels down so her face is in front of mine.

“Carly?” I stammer at the woman I was with the night I was shot. “Is that you?”

“Yes Mark, it’s me,” she says in her friendly South London accent. She smiles warmly at me as I pull myself up.

“It’s been a long time,” I say rubbing the back of my head. I realise I’m wearing some sort of white surgical gown. My body looks even smaller and more fragile in it. How long had I been here, and anyway, where is here?

“What are you doing here, Carly?” I ask. I run my hands down my body checking it is all there. Am I wearing anything under this gown?

“Well, you see, Mark, I’m being paid a hell of a lot to be here.” She smiles; her smile isn’t an unkind one.

“Paid by whom?” My head is spinning. “To do what?”

“Why, to welcome you to Palo Alto, of course.” The room seems to be glowing then my vision blurs and it is all over.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Wonderful

Lizzy

Another wonderful and excellent chapter of this story

On the last leg or is it reincarnation for Mark/Emma/Chloe and just
why is Carly back and just how much is she involved

Are their any more New Body's in this story to be revealed

Thank Lizzy for writing the story for us ll to enjoy

Love
Samantha

SamanthaAnn

Not long now...

Cressar's picture

This has been an outstanding piece of writing from the outset. As keen as I am for all to be revealed, I'm also somewhat saddened that there'll be no more to look forward to after Chapter 10. Lizzy, if I owned a hat, be certain I'd take it off to you, a gifted writer indeed.

Radio Cressar - not available on FM

Palo Alto

Is that good news? Or does it spell the end of Emma and Mark?

DogSig.png

I have to wonder what was

I have to wonder what was really going on- was this all an illusion created to get information from Mark? Was Emma really just a program that they created to blackmail or make Mark do something for them? Was Mark really dead or was Julie and everyone else duped into thinking Mark died so the case could be protected?

Lizzy, you have a twisted sense of humor leaving us hanging like that! You fit right in here with the many other cliffhanger experts ;)

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Dun dun dunnn

Was it all a dream? Psychosis? Something about a sensory package while mark is processed? I don't know!

Identity death freaks me out and i hope mark/emma can come back from this, whatever it is.

Xx
Amy

OH, OH !

Carly talking to Mark? In Palo Alto?