Orphan ~ 8

Printer-friendly version

Paula had her transistor radio and switched it on. In no time, we were laughing shouting and stomping to ‘Bits and Pieces’ someone said that the Dave Clark Five were splitting up and that was sad cos they used to make good songs.

Orphan 8
by
Susan Brown

 

After all the excitement, I found myself with the other girls, outside sitting on the lawn. It was a lovely day, the sun was shining and the flowers over in the borders were bright and gay with colour. There was a slight breeze and I could feel it on my legs as my skirt moved slightly. I would like to say that it was unpleasant, it wasn’t — just a bit strange. Here I was sitting among girls and being accepted as one. Who would have thought, just a few days ago that I would be here, dressed like this?

Paula had her transistor radio and switched it on. In no time, we were laughing shouting and stomping to ‘Bits and Pieces’ someone said that the Dave Clark Five were splitting up and that was sad cos they used to make good songs.

Eventually, we all sat down, breathing heavily after our dancing. It was funny, sometimes I forgot I was a boy and acted and behaved just like one of the girls.

Anyway, after getting our breath back, Tracy was telling us in detail how she had been thrown out of her last attempt at fostering.

‘Well, they wanted to treat me like a kid — you know go to bed at nine, brush your teeth and behind your ears, stuff like that. Well I wasn’t having that nonsense. They wanted to dress me all girly and frilly. I mean to say, pig tails at my age.’

‘Hang on,’ said Tina, ‘why would you want to brush behind your ears with a toothbrush?’

There was a general groan and a ‘SHUT UP TINA!’ from all of us and Tracy carried on with her tale.

She was just getting to a juicy bit, where she was going to put something nasty in her foster parents’ bed when I felt a tap on the shoulder.

I looked up, squinting in the sunshine, to find a woman looking down at me smiling.

Tracy stopped what she was saying.

‘Hello Sheila; what’s up?’

Sorry to disturb your fantasy, Tracy but I need to talk to Stephanie.’

‘Fantasy! It’s the God’s honest truth.’

‘Hmm, anyway, Stephanie, have you got a minute?’

‘That’s OK Steph; I’ll tell you all the nasty details later, K?

‘OK.’ I said, getting up and brushing the grass off my dress.

I followed Sheila into the building. It seemed quite dark after the sunshine outside.

She went into a room that I had never been to before. Following on, I could see that it was some sort of medical room. She motioned me to sit down and then went over to the door. She shut it and turned the key in the lock.

‘That will give us a bit of privacy, we don’t want anyone barging in do we? Right Stephanie or do you prefer Steph?’

‘I really prefer Mark,’

I looked at her as she sort of gave me a strange smile. She was quite tall, thin, with long blond hair. She was wearing a brown skirt and jumper and looked fit and healthy. She was quite young, perhaps early 20’s and seemed OK.

‘I know what you mean, but we have to call you by your girls name for obvious reasons.’

‘I suppose Steph will be OK than.’

‘That’s what I like to see — enthusiasm!’

I smiled at that — I suppose calling me Mark while wearing a dress would be a bit strange and I wouldn’t last two minutes here if I did.

‘Now Steph; sorry I wasn’t here yesterday. How have you found it so far?

‘OK I guess.’

‘Do you want to tell me about it?’

‘OK, if you like.’

I told her all about what had happened since I came to the home; how I found it sometimes good, sometimes bad and quite a lot downright weird.

‘Well you certainly have had a busy time. Are you getting more used to wearing girls clothes?’

‘Yes, I suppose so.’

‘You look very nice; I wouldn’t have known that you are a boy if I hadn’t been told. Mind you, when I heard about this, I couldn’t believe that the council would sanction it. I know that things are bad at the moment, what with the closure of one of the homes but still, it smacks of desperation. Why didn’t they just transfer your case to another district?’

‘That was probably my fault, I didn’t want to move out of the area.’

‘Because of your mum and dad?’

I just nodded.

‘I can understand that. Ah well, we’ll just have to make the most of it. Have you made any friends?

‘Yes, all the girls in the dormitory are nice.’

‘Yes they are, but you have to watch Tracy, she can be a bit wild sometimes. I saw that Rachel was smiling outside. She has been a bit quiet and sad lately. Do you know why?’

‘No, but she’s OK now.’

‘That’s good. Anyway, back to you. I’ve had a chat with Matron and she has asked me to look after you, so to speak and help you adjust. Is that OK with you?’

‘Yes; thanks for helping me.’

‘No problem. Want a rolo?’

‘Not if it’s your last one.’

She laughed and said, ‘no there’s plenty left, mind you I prefer munchies they don’t stick to the teeth so much.’

‘I love mintolas, do you?’

She laughed, ‘yes, I can see you have sweet tooth, like me. Anyway, back to business. How are you managing with the dressing and stuff?’

‘OK, I have problems with dresses with zips up the back though and I thought that I was being strangled by my nightie when I woke up.’

‘Tell me about it. I bet they were all designed by men. What about washing and dressing in private?’

‘I pulled the curtains around my bed this morning and got dressed OK, but I nearly got caught by Tracy when I struggled with my zip.’

‘Well, be careful, wont you. Luckily, you can wash and bathe in private but try not to put yourself in situations where you might be embarrassed. OK, lecture over. Tomorrow is Monday and a school day. All the other kids will go to school and until we can sort things out, you will stay here. It will give me a chance to teach you about being a girl. Just wearing the clothes is not enough, you have to talk, think, breathe and BE a girl while you are here. Probably, from next week, you will have to go to school if you are still here, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it; OK?’

The thought of going to a girls school full of — um girls, filled me with fright and I hoped and prayed that this would end before then.

‘Is there any chance of me going anywhere else before then?’

‘To be honest, I don’t know. All I do know is that things are getting worse rather than better. There is some talk of kids being shipped to Australia to ease the congestion, but that’s just a rumour.’

‘Australia!’

‘Yes, it’s been done before by other authorities but not this one. We will just have to wait and see. Maybe you could go. Would you want that?’

‘No I don’t want to leave my mum and dad.’

‘I know honey, it’s all a bit nasty for you at the moment, but some time, you are going to have to move on.’

‘I know but not yet, please.’

‘Mind you, I think the first one to be shipped out would be Tracy,’ she laughed.

‘I like Tracy, but she’s a bit much!’

‘Yes, but her hearts in the right place. Somewhere in there, there’s a lovely sweet girl trying to come out. Anyway, I shouldn’t be talking to you about this. Off you trot and I’ll see you tomorrow when everyone has gone off to school.’

‘OK,’ I said getting up, ‘bye.’

‘Bye; and Steph?’

‘Yes?’

‘Don’t forget, I’m here if you need any help or just a hug.’

With that, I just went over and did just that. Perhaps things wouldn’t be so bad, after all.

As I went outside, I could see Tracy coming over to me, she had a small smile on her lips, the sort that cats have when they are just about to have some cream.

‘Hi Steph, got a minute I want to show you something?’

Puzzled, I went with her to the rear of the large garden and over to the bushes where she had hidden the box with the cigarettes.

She motioned me to sit down and I waited with eager anticipation for her to say what she was up to now.

‘Erm, I was just passing the door where you and Sheila were and, by accident, I put my ear against it. I could hear quite clearly what you were saying. I must say I was a bit surprised. Anyway, what’s it like to be a boy wearing a dress and pretending to be a girl?’

To be continued...

Please leave comments...ta

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh

DOH !

But then again I think they seem to like our Steph. She is likable and has proven to be a natural-born mediator/peacemaker. A real brick, I would say. I surmise that is why Tracy is not hostile.

I guess I should refer to our protagonist as Mark but at the moment, in this role, it should be Steph.

Oh this gender thing is ohhhhhhhhh so confusing :)

... And another thing, what is with these cliffhanger endings from you serial authors of late ? My poor nails are already nearly gone from being bitten ;-).

Kim

Looks Like Things Can Get Sticky For Stephanie Now

Sue Brown, I just love the way that you left us with that knock out cliffhanger here. I knw that the charade couldn't last, but I didn't think that the bubble would burst so soon. You have a most wonderful way of leaving us wanting for more.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

ophrn

ok geting good and now you like a few other are geting scary ok whats up with this ?ilike this and please keep going and knock thar socks off [email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Is Tracy Going To Be Nice?

joannebarbarella's picture

Or nasty. We'll have to wait to find out won't we? Author's privilege. I love this story,
Joanne

Dave Clark Five

joannebarbarella's picture

I remember them. They were pretty good, weren't they? Story is still great,
Hugs,
Joanne

Hmm...

Could the cat be out of the bag?? I guess I missed the Cliffhanger Lesson lol
Anyways Wonderful story, I can't wait to see more...

Hugs
Jayme

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Poor Steph

KevSkegRed's picture

She must be horrified, aahh but will Tracy keep her secret or will she start to blackmail our heroine? Hmmm, hopefully the former, but I can see trouble with a capital T coming Steph's way.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Good ending!

First it felt bit like "an in-between chapter", but then came the bomb in the end! Just write the next chapter as fast as you can as this is just too exciting!

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

no need for cliffhangers

There really is no need for cliffhangers I would have come back for more anyway.

Will Tracy keep it to herself? In away its right up her sleave to do such a thing so I bet she sees it rather as a prank against the others than anything offensive.

Still only time ... ehmmm I mean your future chapters ... will tell.

thanks and hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

"Just happened to put my ear

"Just happened to put my ear to the door by accident"? Huuuuuummmmmm? Tracy can cause a real bit of trouble now for both Steph and the Girls home staff. Lets hope not. J-Lynn

Sweet(s)

I used to like Sherbet Fountains best.
I was horrified when they brought the new money in that they went from 3d to 3p if I remember aright.
It was probably about then that I became suspicious of business motives and economists. I was nearly 10.
XX
AD

Oops!

Cue startled "Deer in Headlights" look. Then again, that's totally in-character for Tracy. She's just too darn curious for her own good. Seeing Steph suddenly collected by Sheila, and the door being locked behind them - well, of course, like a certain Oscar Wilde, she can resist everything except temptation.

It wouldn't surprise me if Steph's true gender quickly becomes an open secret among the girls - something known about and accepted (if only for the sheer novelty) but never discussed (except in private).

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

oH no

*** I don't know about tracy. I thought at first she was an ok girl. A little hyper but now I don't know...Rebecca

Australia?

>> kids being shipped to Australia... <<

Isn't Canada a lot closer? Maybe Sue put this in since convicts used to be shipped to Australia...

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee