A Summer's Odyssey IV Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version


A Summer's Odyssey
Chapter 9


Over the next few days the newest family of the Clan Wells Point melded into loving kindred. Since the women wanted to contribute to the CWP they thought of what they might do. They also took Becky to the CWP Daycare so she could get used to being around other children. Before the heart transplant she’d been too weak to mingle. Afterward she was too fragile due to her compromised immune system. Since recovering from her hospitalization thanks to the angelic intervention that seemed to be a thing of the past. Becky would join clan members Wanda Scott and Karen Harris in the pre kindergarten program at St. Michaels Elementary school which adjoined the middle/high school when school reopened in the new year.

On December 27 Wendy reached a decision. “Mom, can I ask a favor?”

“Of course, Wendy,” Helen smiled.

“I feel closer to you than I did to my birth mother,” Wendy confessed. “I’m also totally pissed off at my husband Lenny for abandoning Becky and I. I want him out of our lives and intend to divorce him. Would you mind if Becky and I changed our last name to Teeter?”

Helen bit her lips as tears of joy leaked from the corners of her eyes. Despite this she shook her head no much to Wendy’s disappointment.

“I don’t want you to change your name like that,” Helen sniffled as she smiled. “But I’ll gladly approve if you let me adopt you.”

Wendy squealed with delight and hugged Helen. The proud new mom warm returned the loving hug.
Upon being told of their desire CWP lawyer Kevin Stewart on the morning of Monday December 29 applied for the adult adoption and name changes. At the same time he filed for the divorce of Wendy from Lenny on the grounds of desertion requesting full custody of Becky, child support, and with no visitation rights. The adoption and name change was a non issue and was granted on the morning of New Years Eve. The divorce would take longer.

On Saturday December 27 the answer to their dilemma of how to contribute to the CWP came to Helen and Wendy as they watched Becky play with her three stuffies... Toys! Hand crafted toys... made with love... love they wanted to share!

*****

New Years Eve everyone gathered at the Clan Barn. The teens had set up their musical instruments on the fifteen feet by ten feet stage built where the DUKW had been stored under tarps for several decades before being refurbished. In addition to their amps they plugged into the state of the art surround sound PA system. The system was designed to enable whatever was being broadcast to be easily hearable without the need for excessive volume. The system allowed normal conversation without the need to shout over the broadcast. When ready they a began a spirited jam session. This was the first time Helen and Wendy heard the teen band, Certain Change. They were impressed with the quality, especially how Barney, with only one arm, so brilliantly played the drums. The little kids had a ball dancing to the live music. Wanda couldn’t believe how happy and lively Becky was as for the first time in her life she was able to dance with her new friends.

A yummy buffet was laid out and enjoyed by all. In groups of two the band took breaks as the others continued to play. The clanspeople mingled and talked, Helen and Wendy expressed their idea for creating a full time toy enterprise within the clan. The idea meshed perfectly with Robert’s idea of making wooden toys and Krista’s already successful plushies. The idea would be vigorously pursued with true Clan Wells Point energy.

The little kids wore themselves out nodding off despite their excitement and music. Blankets were laid out in the farthest corner of the large open room for them to nap under the watchful eyes of some adults and teens. Being little kids they had no problem sleeping through the rock music.

About ten Krista announced the teens were surrendering the stage to the newest clan music group. The teens removed their instruments and acted as roadies for the adults setting the stage for their appearance. When everything was ready Krista announced, “Although I haven’t heard them play I hope I’m right in saying we’ll all enjoy CLAN WELLS POINT PIPES ROCK!”

Everyone applauded while wondering about the name. Coming from behind a curtained stage wing the adults entered one by one. The audience chuckled as the saw everyone was wearing a kilted Scottish outfit. Leroy took up position behind the drum set. Larry picked up the lead guitar. David did the same with the bass guitar. Buffy took position behind the keyboards. Kevin came out carrying his bagpipes which surprised everyone and had more than a few slightly concerned about what they were about to hear. The last to enter was Kylie also carrying a bagpipe.

“Good evening,” Kylie exclaimed. “First off, I’d like to apologize in advance if my playing isn’t up to Kevin’s level. He and Steven knew I played the flute in the high school band and asked me to try learning the bagpipes. I agreed to give it a shot and here we are. Believe it or not ‘Clan Wells Point Pipes Rock’ is a Celtic rock band. I’m just glad there are no whole tomatoes on the buffet. (Which caused a ripple of laughter.) Well, ready or not here we come! Please enjoy our combination of Celtic and Rock music. First up is ‘Smoke on the Water’ segueing into ‘Scotland the Brave’!” rock 1

Nearly everyone was dumbfounded as they began. Larry’s guitar wailed the classic rock anthem with the bagpipes tearing right in. The bagpipes wailed right along with the guitar. Buffy moved to the front of the stage with two chains three feet long with four inch metal wiffle ball style balls on the end of each. With a butane grill lighter Ben ignited the balls which Buffy began to twirl. Nearly everyone was mesmerized by the twirling flames. As the guys danced a jig while playing, whenever they pointed their guitars towards the ceiling for five seconds flames three feet long shot out of the end of the guitar necks. At the same time flames eighteen inches long shot out of the tops of the three drone pipes on the each bagpipe and eighteen inch flames erupted from stands on either side of the drum set. The astounded smiling audience clapped and happily danced to the music. When the song ended the clan erupted in delighted cheers and applause.

“Thank you,” Kylie smiled. “Now, please enjoy our version of AC/DC’s ‘Thunderstruck’ segueing into Highway to Hell’!” rock 2

Again the bagpipes and guitars blended into their unique merger of Celtic and rock music. Once more the listeners were delighted with the results dancing and clapping to the unique synthesis of music genres. The applause and cheers were universal when the songs ended.

Kylie and the others swigged water and bowed. “Now for your enjoyment we present ‘Don’t Stop Believing’!” rock 3

Buffy began playing the piano entry as the bagpipes and guitars joined in. Everyone who knew the words joined in singing as they happily danced and swayed to the tune. Once more Larry wailed the familiar riffs. The listeners cheered and clapped. The party spirit the teens had brought forth was steamrolling. When the tune ended applause, cheers and whistles erupted as the band bowed.

“Now for a bit of a change up,” Kylie smiled. “Celtic Reggae!!!”

The audience fell silent as they exchanged looks of consternation tinged with disbelief while chuckling. “Bring it on,“ someone shouted. rock 5

Larry began to play and repeat a Reggae riff. The riff sounded sort of familiar but the crowd couldn’t quite place it. Then the drums joined in. Finally the bagpipes joined in playing the vocals.

The audience gasped and smiled, promptly singing along. “In the jungle, the quiet jungle, the lion sleeps tonight! OOOOOOHHHHH aweemaweh! Hush My darling don’t cry my darling the lion sleeps tonight!”

About half way through the song the band speed up the beat almost doubling it. As they did the two guitarists and the two bagpipers begin dancing a jig with the four interweaving amongst themselves back and forth across the stage. When they finished the crowd erupted in raucous cheers, applause and whistles.

“I’m glad we all enjoyed that unique blending of Jamaica and the Highlands,” Kylie said as she clearly worked to catch her breath. The band members all took a big swallow from their water bottle.

Again the crowd erupted into appreciative cheers and applause.

“Moving back to our rock & roll roots,” Kylie smiled. “A pair of rock classics blended in our own unique style. Please enjoy ‘We Will Rock You’ segueing into ‘I Love Rock and Roll’!” rock 6

The drums began beating out the classic staccato cadence as Diane fiddled accompaniment. Soon the bass joined in, then the rest. Once more the happy listeners sang along and danced.

About half an hour before midnight the napping kids were gently awoken. The Clan Wells Point Pipes Rock were still playing. At ten minutes before midnight the dance floor was cleared. Two circles one twenty feet in diameter and the other fifteen were created using red duct tape. Kids up through age five were lined up just outside the smaller taped circle while kids six to eleven formed up around the larger circle. Nets full of balloons had been previously hung high above the circles were lowered to about ten feet above the floor. Seeing the balloons the kids became excited and fidgeted. The parents teamed up with their younger kids with the teens filling in where needed. The rules for indoor fireworks were explained with the drop to occur at the stroke of midnight.

Leroy began beating out a tattoo on the drums. Then the wail of bagpipes playing ‘Auld Lang Syne’ began from the opposite side of the spacious room. Steven, dressed in full Highland Regalia in the Clan Wells Point distinctive green and pink tartan stepped through the adults surrounding the kids. With military precision he marched about the two circles drawing the attention of the excited and squirming kids before he marched onto the stage at fifteen seconds before midnight. Kylie led the countdown as everyone excitedly joined in. “10... 9... 8... 7... 6... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

The couples had time for a short New Years Eve kiss before the mayhem began as the nets were opened dropping fifty balloons on the tots and one hundred fifty on the older kids. The indoor fireworks began with thunderous booms and excited squeals as the kids had at the bouncing balloons. The older kids stomped on the colorful balloons successfully popping about one out of every three attempts. On the other two efforts the balloons shot out from under their feet. They were bumping into each other laughing as they chased down their bouncy targets, hence the reason for the age separation. The little kids tried to imitate the older but didn’t have the mass or strength to pop or more often tumble as the balloons squirted from under their feet. Their older companions kept them from falling and soon guided them into sitting on the balloons. If that wasn’t enough, the strategic use of concealed pins did the job with the toddlers unaware they’d had help in popping their balloon. Extra balloons appeared so that each child had at least one balloon to pop. rock 7

By the end of the first minutes many of the smiling and laughing adults enjoying the excited antics of the excited kids were covering their ears due to the numerous booming pops and the shrill squeals and yelling of the excited youngsters. By the third minute the volume of booms decreased and by five minutes afterward the balloons were colorful shreds littering the floor.

As the kids settled and were herded to one side another hundred fifty balloons were dumped onto the floor. The kids watched with glee as the teens and adults began another round of noisy indoor fireworks.

After the last resounding POP recorded dance music began to play over the surround sound system. Brooms appeared and the colorful shreds were swept away. Adults and kids were soon on the dance floor. Dads danced with daughters, moms danced with sons, aunts and uncles danced with nieces and nephews, grandparents danced with grandchildren. By 12:30am as kids wore out, families headed home. Leroy and Krista were the last two. They made the rounds making sure everything was turned off before crossing Wells Point Lane to their cozy home.

What was amazing to the newest members was that while alcoholic beverages were available and consumed, no one became drunk. The clanspeople kept an eye on each other and whenever someone had a bit too much they were gently but firmly guided away from reaching the tipping point. The fact excessive drinking and steps to be taken if it occurred had been heavily discussed and agreed upon weeks before made the effort smooth. A few definitely became silly but none descended into bellicose belligerence.

Jane returned to the Clan Barn at 8:00am. Others soon joined her in the kitchen as they prepared a hefty buffet. Families began arriving at 10:30. The tables were rearranged to facilitate viewing the stage. Fifteen feet above the stage a huge outdoor advertizing billboard type TV screen was mounted on the wall. The unit was fifteen feet long and nine and one third feet high. Except for the heavy wooden beam/columns holding up the roof trusses the high def screen was easily visible from every corner of the barn. The buffet was set up and people filled plates. Those who wanted to spend the day watching football bowl games sat before the big screen. First up was the 11:00am kickoff of the Outback Bowl where the Iowa Hawkeyes beat the South Carolina Gamecocks 31 to 10. Next up with a 5:00pm kickoff of the Rose Bowl where the Penn State Nittany Lions lost to the USC Trojans 24 to 38. Last up was the 8:45 kickoff of the Orange Bowl where the Cincinnati Bearcats took on the Virginia Tech Hokies losing 7 to 20. Those who didn’t want to watch football gathered to the sides to talk and play games. All in all it was a relaxed atmosphere enabling the clan to strengthen their bonds.

*****

The Johnson family fit into the Clan Wells Point like a glove. Grant and Penny had no issues being in the CWP Daycare while their parents worked and rehabed. Penny was a happy often giggling infant. Grant was a gregarious toddler who got along with other toddlers.

By the beginning of the new year Kelly Johnson had proved to be an extremely effective paralegal in the CWP Attorney at Law offices under attorney Kevin Stewart. Within a week of starting she had grasped the ebb and flow of the office. This allowed Ruth Ewell to back off the heavy research and concentrate on being the office manager for CWP Attorney At Law and CWP LLC in their shared building.

Ben Johnson, despite being limited by his therapy and adapting to his changed circumstances, was making tremendous headway in bringing CWP Green Energy Initiatives into viable existence. The challenge restored his sense of worth which had understandably faltered with the loss of his arm. The first twenty vertical wind turbines were to be delivered on Tuesday January 6, 2009. Orders were in place for delivering twenty wind turbines a month until they reached their goal of four hundred units.

The CWP Contracting and Construction was on target to complete the concrete bases needed to mount the first twenty wind turbines when they arrived. They were also trenching and installing waterproof conduit with cables to connect the turbines to the new CWP power grid distribution center they were completing beside the digester.

The Clan Wells point itself entered the new year in great shape despite the chaos of the economy in general. The Down Jones Stock average had plunged six hundred eighty points on December 1. That was on top of the four hundred twenty seven point drop of November 19. The big crash Steven Campbell had predicted was coming to fruition. Many businesses panicked and thousands of people found their already jeopardized jobs even more fragile. Thousands of stockholders saw their finances collapsing. Thanks to Steven’s business sense the Clan Wells Point was financially solid and prepared to endure the economic crash. In fact they were poised to spring on any properties that might come on the real estate market to further expand the Clan Wells Point.

*****

On Friday January 2 one of the CWP Contracting & Construction employees, twenty five year old painter George Bracy, approached Robert with request to discuss a personal issue. Robert led him to his portable office... his pickup truck.

“Thanks for sitting down with me, boss,” George declared clearly anxious. “I know when you started the Clan Wells Point you offered all the employees an opportunity to join. Those of us left since then really like working for you but hesitated because we know construction jobs can come and go. We were worried that if your work load slacked off we’d be laid off and being members of the clan would be awkward. We also had concerns the clan would sort of implode and we’d be out of luck. Obviously we were wrong. Now I’ve got a big family problem and I can’t see anyway out of it. To be honest I’m coming to you hat in hand.”

“The clan will do what it can to help,” Robert answered with a confident smile. “The offer to you and the others to join the clan is still open. So, what’s the issue?”

“My mother, Maude, worked as a nurse’s aid for the Apple Tree Quality Healthcare Systems,” George explained. “When they were shut down she lost her job. Unfortunately no one wants to hire anyone who was associated with them. She’s been struggling to make ends meet but temp work just doesn’t cut it. Her home is being repossessed which will put her and my brother, Barry, out on the street. Another problem is I live in a two bedroom apartment with my wife Abby and kids Gwen and Brad. The kids are getting older and need separate bedrooms. From working on the remodel I know Theo Jablonski would benefit from a part time nurse’s aid and Rachel could use help with the housework. My mom could do both, especially if we all move into the apartment above the Jablonskis. She could also help out at the CWP Youth Rehab Hostel.

“It sounds to me your family needs to join the Clan Wells Point,” Robert smiled. “I don’t see any reason not to bring you onboard but I have to get approval from the rest of the directors. Since we know you it’ll just be a formality. I also need to make sure the Jablonski apartment is still available. I’ll let you know by tomorrow.”

George returned to work with a sense of relief. While he had discussed the situation with his family, he didn’t want to get their hopes up only to be crushed. He’d wait until tomorrow to get the word of the approval before he told the rest of the family.

On Saturday while working half a day Robert let George know the CWP directors unanimously approved bringing George’s family into the Clan with them moving into the apartment above Theo and Rachel Jablonski. Needless to say George and later his family were delighted with the news.

With Robert’s permission to use the CWP Contracting and Construction vehicles to move their belongings George called his coworkers to ask if they could assist his family move the next day, Sunday. The guys agreed.

Because of the approaching eviction Maude and fifteen year old Barry had most of their things packed. George and Abby spent most of Saturday packing their things. By 6:00pm Sunday the Bracy family had their belongings moved into the apartment above the Jablonskis. They still had to unpack but at least they were moved.

Construction jobs outside the CWP had been rapidly declining since the collapse of the sub-prime mortgage market. With the drops in the Dow Jones since September the construction slowdown grew. Yet because of the careful planning and quality work the CWP Contracting and Construction had steady work. Many of the competing contractors in the area had already laid off workers or closed outright. Seeing the growth and happiness of the Clan Wells Point as well as coworker George join the CWP the remaining four non clan employees of CWP Contracting and Construction decided to accept the long standing offer of clan membership. Over the next few weeks they took up residence in the Clan Wells Point territory.

Twenty eight year old carpenter Harry Dryer, his twenty eight year old wife Nancy, and daughters nine year old fourth grader Jill, eight year old third grader Karen and seven year old second grader Mindy were excited to join. They moved into the vacant southern rental home on the former Jablonski farm.

Twenty five year old Jimmy Stanley, his twenty five year old wife Bonnie and their twin daughters five year old kindergartners Lori and Dori were also excited to join. They moved into the apartment next to the Johnsons above CWP Daycare.

Drywaller Adam Green and mason Matt Haley, both twenty nine years old, were a gay couple but had never been able to live together. Upon joining the CWP they moved into an apartment above the daycare. Arrangements were made for them to drive to Hartford on Thursday January 9 to apply for a marriage license, marry and return home Sunday.

While that was going on the first twenty wind turbines were up and operating. The newest members were voted into the CWP. There were now One hundred fourteen members of the Clan Wells Point. Clan Wells Point Handcrafted Toys also became the newest clan enterprise. Helen was appointed to lead the operation with Wendy as leader of the stuffie branch. Even though they didn’t have a business site they coordinated the continued crocheting of stuffies, each now with a tag proclaiming CWP STUFFIE. They also created plans to make wooden toys as well as wooden playsets.

On January 15 Robert saw Henry Bailey walking slowly with a cane towards his mailbox as he drove past. He was a long time neighbor who ran a small family construction business. The two contractors were on friendly terms and had previously helped each other. Henry’s home and business were next door to the clan, his driveway was the first driveway to the west of the Bozman-Neavitt Road north of Wells Point Lane. Robert turned around and pulled into the driveway.

“Henry, it looks like you hurt yourself,” Robert said as he leaned out the window. “I hope it’s not serious. Is there anything I can do to help you?”

“Robert, it’s good to see you,” Henry greeted as he hobbled over to the truck. “You may be just the person I need.”

“Well in that case I’m glad I stopped,” Robert replied. “Hop in, I’ll drive you up the lane. We can go inside and talk.”

“I hope you can help me out,” Henry sighed as he climbed inside. “I don’t see any way out of my problems.”

A few moments later they were seated around the kitchen table sipping coffee with Henry’s wife, Carol.

“I just got out of the hospital and my business is going down the tubes. Honestly I don’t know how I’m physically going to go of it any more. Could you take over the jobs I have started and scheduled? Unfortunately we’ve already spent most of the money they’ve paid to make ends meet.”

“That’s never good,” Robert said. “Of course we’ll help you out. Do you mind if I ask what happened?”

“It goes back to when Lester was wounded,” Henry sighed. “We’d always planned for him to work with me and take over the business. That IED in Iraq put an end to those plans.”

“Yeah, that has to be rough,” Robert commiserated. “How’s he doing?”

“Itching to come home,” Carol smiled. “He hates being in Walter Reed. They’re good at the rehab he needs but they are so overwhelmed... it’s simply too institutional. He has his prosthetics and is getting used to them but he misses being in the country side.”

“Why not bring him home,” Robert asked. “He can do rehab at the clan rehab. We’re just across the street.”

“That would be nice,” Carol sighed. “Unfortunately we might not be able to keep the place.”

“Damn,” Robert exclaimed. “Things are that bad?”

“Yeah,” Henry conceded. “A bit over three weeks ago I had a massive heart attack... almost didn’t make it. They had to do a sextuple bypass. I just came home two days ago. I’m limping from all the veins they removed from my legs to use for the bypasses. The prognosis is I should have a good recovery but my days of climbing ladders and lifting over fifty pounds are over. In other words I can’t do construction anymore.”

“Between worrying about Lester and then Henry I screwed up,” Carol confessed. “I was so wrapped up in doing what I could for Henry I wasn’t paying attention to the bills. I just wrote the checks and sent them in not even thinking about where the funds were coming from or if they were designated for business expenses. Now we’re strapped for cash and can’t refund deposits customers made. God, I feel so stupid and ashamed.”

“There’s no need for that,” Robert consoled. “Worry about those you love can make you do things without thinking. I’m sure Sheila would do the same if our circumstances were the same. Now, I have an idea that will help get you out of the mess you’re in and help out the Clan Wells Point at the same time. Let me send a quick message off to the rest of the clan executive committee.” Robert tapped away on his smart phone for a minute before looking at them and smiling. “Of course my idea will mean you have to join the clan.”

Henry and Carol chuckled. “That granddaughter of your’s has sure changed things around here,” Carol smiled. “The way you’ve been helping people since she arrived... it’s a miracle. I can tell you the Jablonskis are delighted they joined. What can we do for each other?”

“If you join the clan we’ll assume all your debt and contracts which will save your reputation and sense of worth,” Robert replied. “In return you’d have to merge your business and property into the clan in exchange for shares in the clan. You’d be able to stay living here. Also, we’ll provide a job you’ll be able to physically handle and enjoy. We’ve formed a new enterprise, CWP Handcrafted Toys. We’re crocheting stuffed animals and plan to add hand made wooden toys and playsets as soon as we find a suitable site. Your workshop barn would be an ideal location. If I recall the first floor is eighteen feet high. The half closest to the lane of it would become a showroom/store with a nine foot high ceiling. We’d do that by creating a mezzanine above it with a ceiling eight feet high that will be used for plushie assembly. The other half of the first floor would be fore woodworking and assembly of playsets with a freight elevator to the mezzanine and top floor. The second floor would be for wooden toy assembly and painting. Helen will be in overall charge of the division and Wendy will lead the plushie side. Henry, with your woodworking experience you’d be ideal to lead the wood end of the business. Carol, I think you’d make a good store manager. We can use the lot between the barn and the Bozman-Neavitt Road to display wooden playsets and as a parking lot. Lester should be able to work with you.”

“That sounds too good to be true,” Henry whispered clearly trying to remain calm as he looked to Carol with his eyebrows raised. “But know what I do about the Clan Wells Point it must be true.

“It’s the best news we’ve had,” Carol sniffed clearly struggling to maintain emotional control. 2008 was a horrible year for us. Hopefully joining the clan will make 2009 a much better year.”

“That it will,” Robert smiled. “Just for curiosity, what day did you have your heart attack?”

“December 22,” Henry answered. “The doctors said my heart stopped while they were treating me in emergency. I was unconscious but when I came too I recalled a really weird dream.”

“”When it comes to the Clan Wells Point weird dreams are taken seriously,” Robert stated seriously. “Were you in the Shore Medical Center?”

“Yeah,” Henry nodded. “Is that significant?”

“It could be,” Robert replied. “Do you know about what time you had the dream?”

“I guess it was between 5:30 and 6:00 in the evening,” Henry answered growing little spooked.

“That fits,” Robert smiled mysteriously. “Would you mind telling me about the dream?”

“Not at all,” Henry agreed. “It sounds a bit cliche but I was walking down this long tunnel heading towards a warm, beckoning bright light. I could hear voices singing growing louder as I got closer to the light. I couldn’t understand what they were saying but I never felt so contented. It was like they were welcoming me home after a long trip. A woman stepped out of a side tunnel and blocked my path. I really wanted to just brush ast her but the smile on her face stopped me. She shook her head and twirled her finger motioning me to turn around and walk away from the light. I wanted to tell her no that I wanted to continue on but my voice didn’t work. She motioned for me to go back again. Even though I didn’t want to obey, I did. I turned around and headed back out of the tunnel away from the light. Then I woke up. Weird, huh?”

“You never told me about that,” Carol said as if hurt by the secret.

“Not really,” Robert shook his head. “What did the woman look like?”

“It was hard to tell,” Henry frowned as he struggled to recall her appearance. “She was really scrawny, like someone who’s being ravaged by cancer eating up their body. But the serenity upon her face was compelling. I couldn’t refuse her order to turn back.”

Robert tapped a few times on his smart phone, then showed the image on the screen to Henry and Carol.

“That’s Susan Warren,” Carol said. “Hey... I heard she brought her grandkids to your clan to have them adopted by your son Larry and his wife Kylie. Then she stayed with them till cancer killed her.”

“Whoa,” Henry exclaimed. “That was the woman in the tunnel!”

“That explains a lot,” Robert sighed with a smile. “Krista’s mom, Jane’s daughter Carol, had terminal cancer and walked into the ocean. That’s what sparked Krista’s trek from Massachusetts. Carol has made several significant appearances to the clan... as a guardian angel. She’s saved several people’s lives. Whenever she has we’ve found puddles of sea water and seaweed as evidence. When Susan died, Carol took her spirit. There were two sets of wet seaweed footprints leading from the bed with Susan’s body down the hall to the twin’s bedroom. Susan joined Carol as a second guardian angel for the clan. She appeared to us in Pennsylvania to delay our departure by ten minutes so we were right behind that terrible accident.”

“The one where you and Krista saved that family,” Helen shuddered. “Did Krista really cut that man’s arm off?”

“From the back seat leaning over him she used her Swiss Army knife even as the flames were licking at her hands and face,” Robert shook his head. “She just got our when the interior went up. That family is now part of the clan. That girl has so much guts she scares the hell out of me some times but she does get things done.”

“We look forward to meeting her,” Helen smiled.

“While you were in emergency with your heart stopped and walking in the tunnel,” Robert began the story. “Krista and her girlfriends were up in the children’s ward dressed as elves handing out crocheted stuffed animals to the kids. She’d come up with idea for the plushies to give the kids. The same plushies we want to make for the toy business. They had sterilized some plushies in case someone with an infection needed one. While they were gowning and washing up to go into the room of a sick girl who’d had a heart transplant they saw Susan’s image in the soapy bubbles telling them THREE. The little girl, Becky, was beyond happy to have visitors and over the moon with the plushies but her mom, Wendy, was at her wits end. Her husband had left them and they were being evicted. She couldn’t work because of her daughter’s condition and they had no family to help them. Krista told them they had a new home with the clan. Wendy was pissed for getting the Becky’s hopes up and took the girls out of the room to chew them out. Becky started calling for her mom. Panicked Wendy ran back in only to have Becky tell her a Christmas Angel had appeared to heal her of the infection.”

Carol and Henry exchanged looks of disbelief tinged with hope.

“When the girls reentered there was a puddle of seawater and seaweed by the bed,” Robert continued. Krista gave Wendy a photo of her mom to show Becky. Becky said the photo was the Christmas Angel. Wendy’s infection was gone and she was discharged in time for Christmas with the clan. Wendy and Becky were ONE and TWO. They just needed THREE. As the girls headed down the elevator it stopped on the hospice floor. When the doors opened they saw a woman, Helen, leaning against the wall crying. They consoled her, took her to dinner and discovered her husband had just died. That was on top of her son being killed in Afghanistan in June and her daughter-in-law died in a car crash following his funeral. Her grandson was declared brain dead and they donated his organs. With the death of her husband she had no family left. Ironically her grandson’s heart was in the little girl the clan angel had cured.”

Henry and Carol sat spooked by the story.

“That night the Helen had a dream,” Robert went on. “She was visiting the graves of her son, daughter-in-law and grandson. She saw a man already at the graves. It was her husband who told her his passing had been eased by a clan angel named Susan and that he was okay and meeting their son, daughter-in-law and grandson the others. She saw them approach and smile at her as they came to him. He passed on a message to her from their grandson. That she’d always have a place in his heart and he’d like her to become the grandmother of the little girl who received his heart Needless to say Helen adopted Wendy making her Becky’s grandmother. They’re now members of the clan. Helen will be heading the toy division and Wendy will be leading the stuffie branch. Henry, when Susan turned you around in the that tunnel she knew you’d wind up partnering with Helen and Wendy. Remember, this was all set in motion by the Clan Wells Point Guardian Angels back on December 22.”

Henry and Carol shared a long, deep look into the other’s eyes. Both smiled and nodded wit Henry speaking. “Where do we sign to join up?”

Arrangements were made with Gretchen to pick Lester up after she finished her lessons the next day. While attending classes during the week she lived in the CWP House just off the University of Maryland in College Park. Walter Reed National Military Medical Center was sixteen miles west of College Park. The detour to bring Lester up would delay her normal weekend return home by an hour.

Lester was quite excited to be going home. The Clan Wells Point was now up to one hundred seventeen members.

up
168 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is such a great story, I

This is such a great story, I do hope it might be continued for some time to come; whenever the author decides to give us a new "book" to read.It does make a very good Christmas season story as well.
I noticed the years of the story in this chapter are set in 2008-2009; and it mentions the football game in the Rose Bowl between Penn State and USC, which USC won.
This Dec 31, 2016, these same two teams square off against each other once more in the Rose Bowl.
Being a devoted USC fan (Class of 63) I will have to definitely watch the game and perhaps see USC repeat the win over Penn State.

As another USC alum......

D. Eden's picture

Class of '81, I will be watching that one too. My money's definitely on the Trojans.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Trojans? Really?

You're betting on condoms? (/snerk)


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Blob

CWP is kinda like the Blob, absorbing everything in it's path! ;-)

BTW: I hope they don't mind the noise from the wind turbines. They are not quiet, a 100 of them are going to make some noise. It's not a bad noise, but the blades make a shoosh-shoosh noise as they turn. They've put up several wind farms in north-western Oklahoma, and some of the adjacent land owners are not happy.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Wind turbines

I always appreciate feedback.

The whoop whoop whoop sounds are the reason I chose to use vertical wind turbines rather than the more common horizontal units. They can be fenced in to prevent bird impacts.

Boys will be girls... if they're lucky!

Jennifer Sue

Oops!

Sorry, I missed that! I'll have to pay more attention. What I remember from that was the storage issue, that has been a subject of interest for me for awhile. Tornados and even high straight line winds as well as microbursts tend to play havoc with power lines and poles. Small portable generators (3,000-5,000 watts) have a strange way of walking off even if they are chained down, and a fixed whole house unit is far beyond my means.

I do wonder what the noise factor is with the vertical generators, there is bound to be some. I just don't know anything about the vertical units other than a snippet I saw on the news.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Cursed

I forgot to mention, bagpipes are the devil's instrument. They are the wail of the banshee. No sane, God-fearing folk will listen to them, doing so risks their sanity and their mortal soul. ;-)

My father liked them, which might explain why he was so full of anger when I came out.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin