Hidden Gifts - 01

Printer-friendly version

A New Style of Education: Hidden Gifts

By: Annette MacGregor

An authorized story, based on the characters and environment of A New Style of Education by Karen Page.



Part 1
 
Late Spring, 2004 - Athens Greece

"I always love being up here Mom. The view of Athens is so breathtaking."

"Yes, it certainly is. Your father and I wanted to come up here one more time before we were off to London."

"It's been fun here, though a bit lonely since Kirk moved back to live with grandpa and grandma last year."

“I know, son. It has been quieter. I’m sure you’ll make new friends at Westminster, the English public school you’ll be attending, when we get there in another month."

"The kids in the Embassy school say it's really different from our schools in the states, like the one I was in when we lived in Naples."

"The materials are mostly the same. Though, you'll find history will be different, since it is British history and not ours, but otherwise, you'll do fine."

"I can deal with those differences Mom. It's just remembering which classes are which days I'm worried about."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there honey. Let's go catch up with your dad. He's usually over on the other side looking down over the Temple of Zeus."

"I've loved walking through history here! It's almost as much fun as we had wandering through Pompeii and Ercolano."

"Do you remember the mosaic you made on your wall?"

I laughed at that. "Mom, dad almost killed me when he saw it! How could I forget?"

She laughed. "No, he was upset, but that was never going to happen. Your brother got into more trouble for encouraging you. Things certainly have been quieter this past year."

"Hey Dad. How come you always wanna look at that old temple?"

"Hi Danny. It's not just that. It's the precision the ancients were able to achieve, and how the Greeks have been able to recover so many of their antiquities. It just helps me keep things in perspective. We really come from a new country as far as the world is concerned. Many of the things we think we've invented really come from other places, like democracy."

I cringed in mock terror. "Okay, Dad."

That broke his serious mood. "Okay. No lectures today. We're here to see the sites one more time, then we'll go and have dessert on Syntagma Square."

"Ohhh. I want some Kataifi! I can't believe it'll be available in London."

"You never know, but fresh is always best." He said, as we started our climb down from the Acropolis.

I'm really glad it's not as high as the one in Corinth! That was a brutal climb. These Greek temples all seem to look alike though. The Pantheon, which we saw in Rome, was different, but kinda boring. It just was a dark building surrounded by offices or apartments. Okay, it had a great big dome and was supposedly hard to build but still… I really don't see why my folks kept dragging me around to see all those churches and these temples. Pompeii, now that was different. Imagine a city buried and hidden by a volcano. Was that neat or what? I wonder if there's a castle we can visit that's like Hogwarts. Maybe my school... Nah, I’m not going away to school. I'd get to be home again. Though with dad gone to meetings all the time and both of them being off to parties, it’s not that much fun at home. Maybe I'll finally be able to find a friend. All this moving, ours and kids from other embassies, has made it tough. I don't know how Kirk managed.

"Hey Danny, are you going to wake up and get your dessert?"

"Wha ... Sorry Dad, I was daydreaming." I got my Kataifi. "It's too bad we'll not see the guard change one more time. Those guys are amazing."

"Remind me to take you by the tomb of the unknown on a visit to DC sometime Danny. The Sentinels may not have as unusual a uniform, but they have a very impressive ceremony. The Marine Barracks at 8th and I also have a drill team that's worth seeing." He was quiet a moment. "I think you'll like seeing the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace."

"You mean they actually do that? It's not just in the silly song?"

"No Danny. The pageantry is quite impressive, and sometimes humorous. Now, what was the story the Sergeant was saying about it. Oh yes. You recall Sergeant Magruder, right?"

"Yes sir. You got him to take me on a tour of the embassy right after we moved here. He's also the guy that arranged for me to take the judo classes with Private Ramsey."

"Hmm. I'd forgotten that, but, yes that's the one. Apparently he's a MacGregor by descent, and he was telling a tale about the former chieftain of the clan, Brigadier Sir Gregor of MacGregor. He was mounted just in front of the massed pipe bands, and apparently his horse let off with a loud one. He called 'Sorry about that pipers.' And the Pipe Major replied, 'That's all right sir. We thought it was the horse!'"

Dad laughed pretty hard at that, and I guess it was kinda funny. "So they have horses and pipe bands? Sounds like a parade."

"To hear others talk about it, it does sound like it."

"I can't wait." I gave a sigh.

"You'll find friends there Danny. Remember, they all speak English there, so language shouldn't be a barrier. They also tell me my posting may be longer this time."

"That'd be good. Do you think we'll be able to find me a piano teacher again Dad?"

"Don't worry, Danny. I'm sure that'll be no problem."

It'11 be nice to not have to work through language again. I mean I loved playing, but some of the teachers we'd found were not fun.

"Well, we'd best get back now and make an early night of it tonight. We have an early flight in the morning."


"George, do you think we were right sending Kirk back to live with my folks?"

I don't think my folks knew I was awake, but when I heard my brother's name, I could almost feel my ears perk up. Maybe I'd finally find out why he wasn't with us now.

"I do Lyd. He really needs four solid years of High School before going to college. We don't want him to have to need remedial work like Karen did."

"That wasn't all her fault. Most schools really are not equipped to handle kids with her issues, and with her wanting to get through most of it without meds. That just made it harder."

"I know, but it still happened, and she's only now entering Harvard. Georgie had issues too when he hit Stanford, after schooling overseas all his life. I don't want Kirk going through what our first two did."

"But what about Danny? He's always had Kirk to look out for him and give him someone to talk to."

"I know he's our baby, but you seem not to have noticed how much he grew this spring and summer. I just noticed it myself yesterday climbing the Acropolis. If that keeps up, he'll no longer be the class shrimp and won't need a big brother watching out for him. As it is, the only times he's ever gotten in scrapes was when he was helping someone else. I doubt he'll get into fights like Georgie did, either. He reminded me yesterday about his judo classes. That will probably serve him well, even if he does get into a scrape."

"How fast they grow up. I guess we'll be doing some shopping when we get there, and altering his pants."

"Do you think you'll still need to do that? I'd forgotten."

"Maybe not, but he's not complained so I suspect I'll still be taking in the waist a couple of inches. I bet there are some girls that would die to have his hips!"

What's wrong with my hips? Unlike a buncha my classmates I've never had to worry about having my pants pulled down on the playground. The one time a guy tried, and he knocked me down instead! That was a laugh! He really caught it for knocking me over. The other guys he'd done it to all really had a good laugh at his expense. I'd best look around for some other jeans and slacks. Maybe there's a way mom won't have to do all that work.

"Don't say that where he can hear it! All we need is to give him something to worry about."

"Don't worry. Last time, I just told him we were making sure they fit better and were more comfortable with his belt. He seemed happy with it. In a way, it's a good thing, with those hips, he'll never be able to get away with that sloppy style where boy's wear their jeans half way down their hips so their underpants show out the top."

"That's a relief. I'd be embarrassed for him to walk into the embassy like that, though I'm sure worse has happened."

"But, back to my concerns. Without Kirk around, he'll be alone occasionally and not have anyone he knows in the school."

"I wouldn't worry. It's not like they don't speak English there. I'm sure there are some small differences like the color / colour thing, but he'll do fine. He's always aware of what's going on around him. Remember last year during the security review?"

"How could I forget? They were afraid he was a security risk because he seemed to show up without folks realizing he'd come into the room. The review officer said he must be unusual in some way, because he was observed to hear more than one bit of sensitive information and despite efforts to draw him out, both active and passive, they were not able to find any hints that he'd leaked anything or bragged about knowing any of it. He was even aware of the President's scheduled visit, and didn't do anything to even put himself in a place where he might run into the man. I mean how many twelve year olds could have done that, much less not bragged about it to his friends!"

"I know but, I fear for that too. Maybe that's one of the things that bother me. Maybe just being around the embassy and hearing things he knows he shouldn't share is one of the things that keep him from making friends."

Is that why I don't make friends? I don't think so. It's more a not wanting to lose them, and not really knowing anyone well enough to trust that far. That, and folks get creeped out when I answer their questions too fast.

"I'd never thought of that Lyd. Well, we'll deal with it somehow. He's a good kid. He’s been brought up with good manners. Maybe with more kids his own age in the school, he'll have more opportunity to make friends."

"We can hope George."


"Hi Mom. I survived another day at school."

"Survived Danny?"

"Yes Mom. I mean, I only got lost twice. I think some of the kids get a kick out of telling me the classes are somewhere else, or it's a different schedule or something. Most of the kids aren't bad though. It's just different not having the same classes every day. Oh, did you know our Revolutionary War is all but ignored over here?"

"Really?"

"Yes Mom. I was asking about it, but the other kids kept talking as if it were no big deal. It was as if it was just something that happened in the colonies, and wasn't really interesting. They touched on a few points in my history class, but not the real issues I’ve heard about before from you and dad, as well as in school."

"Well, I guess I can understand that. Take a look at it from their viewpoint. You’re probably studying the colonial period from their viewpoint now, rather than ours."

"Sorta, but only in passing. We're mostly talking about stuff here and on the continent. Frederick the Great was more important to them apparently."

"I'm glad you're enjoying that aspect of school. I'm sure the misdirections will stop soon."

"Yea, I think I've about gotten this schedule figured out. Oh, and get this. Instead of pre-algebra for a class, it’s called 'maths’. It's got the same name whether it's algebra, geometry or whatever. I don't think they split them up like you said they do back home."

"I'd heard that. You'll end up covering the same stuff. Don't worry there."

"Oh I'm not Mom. It's just fun learning. Can I use the computer tonight? I've got some research I need to do for history."

"Sure, have fun."

Well, maybe I'll be able to look up some sort of English-to-American dictionary. This is frustrating. I kept hearing words I know and discovering they meant something else. It wasn't the main ones. It was things like trainers. Here I'd had sneakers all my life and was wearing some, and when the coach said everyone needed to make sure they had trainers I sure felt silly asking what they were. Well, I'll get by. At least I knew what they were talking about when they said football. Sheesh, I'd been living outside the states like forever. Though I'll never be great at it, at least I can run faster than some of those jocks. I wonder if I can find someone to help me keep up with my Judo.

"Oh, Mom, any luck finding a piano teacher?"

"Not yet, but we have been able to find a nice piano for you to practice on. It's being delivered tomorrow."

"That's great Mom! I've missed it."

"I know, Honey. We're all still trying to figure things out. It'll come together. And, once it's here, I expect to hear you playing! Your serenades are always a pleasure to my ears."

"Mooom."

"You've gotten pretty good you know. Nothing like the five year old finding his own teacher eight years ago."

"Thanks. I'll go study now."

I hope we can find a teacher. I know I could be doing better. Mr. Martini was so good. I just wish that Ms. Dromikos had been able to help me compose. Well, she did keep me working so that's a good thing.

The next few weeks went fairly peacefully. I settled into school, got a piano instructor and even found a dojo. Things weren't perfect, but it was okay. Without the practice, I wasn't ready to test yet, which was okay by me.

I didn't think I was ready anyway. At least they confirmed my brown belt. I was worried that Private Ramsey's evaluation wasn't accurate. The biggest issue was my piano teacher. He'd said yesterday that he wasn't good enough to really challenge me. He could help me maintain where I was and refine my technique a little, but I really needed better instruction to excel. Maybe Ms. Dromikos wasn't that bad, just unwilling to admit where her limitations were. We'll see.

I caught myself thinking about things all over the place and it took some doing to bring my concentration back to my homework. It wouldn't do to start mucking that up.

I wonder what the special testing scheduled for next week is all about. Well, mom says I'd have been having testing every year back in the states so I guess it's nothing special.

I caught myself drifting again, and buckled down to studying.

The next morning, I saw a smaller kid with long hair getting pushed around by some of the upper year jocks. "Hey guys. That's not needed."

"Bug off, Yank. This ain't none of your business"

"It is if I make it mine. Now lay off. There's no reason to be pushing a little kid around."

"The kids a crook. All orphans like her are crooks or worse!"

It was a girl? I guess it could have been. The hair was long enough. Nearly everyone had longer hair than I did. Must have been the influence of all the marines.

"Enough guys. Besides she's gone now."

"Wha... Damn that kid got away. You stay out of our way, Yank. We don't like folks that interfere with their betters. You're new, so we'll let you off this time but don't let it happen again."

As she'd gotten away, I figured there was no benefit in continuing the confrontation so I backed away.

Never turn your back to a potential assailant if it can be avoided! Oh well, it was too much to hope that this kinda thing wouldn't go on here too.

Later in the halls, the girl slid over to me and said "Thanks, but you shouldn't have. Those guys are bad news. They're all from rich families. Sticking up for me coulda gotten you in big trouble. Just mind your own business in the future." Then she was gone before I could say anything. Well I could have, but she wasn't close enough to do so without others hearing. Oh well, maybe another day.

As it turns out, I didn't see her again. At first, I wasn't surprised, but eventually it was obvious she wasn't around the school any more. I guessed she had moved on.

They had this big exam a week or two later. I guess the other kids were as surprised as I was. I'd figured it was a normal thing, except for folks saying something new. Apparently they almost didn't let me take it, ‘cause it was this government thing, but I guess they changed their mind and let me sit for it. It was almost fun, the wide ranging questions they asked. From mom's comments, I'd figured there would be individual sections on specific topics, but this was all mixed up. And, that essay on "what is school." That was strange. I figured I should say what it should be, rather than what it is.

The event the previous week with the harassment probably influenced that, but hey, who knows, maybe I'll pass through on originality.

After that, it was back to the grindstone. Once I got used to the schedule, classes were about as easy as I'd gotten used to. Oh well. At least I could look up extra stuff on the internet. I just couldn’t bring it up in class, especially when it contradicted the text. Whoa, that was a mistake I'd made once, never again! One thing I've not liked seeing is what looks like harassment targeted at some of the smarter kids. So far I'd not been singled out. I guess I was bigger than many in my year, and that helped. But some of the other kids that seemed to enjoy school were catching it pretty regularly.

About two weeks after the exam, I got a letter "To the Parents/Guardians of Dan James Humphrey". I wondered what it could be about. Well, I'd find out when I got home.

"Mom, how come jocks tend to harass the brains?"

She looked up at me, I guess wondering where that came from. "Danny?"

"I've noticed over the past few weeks that some of the smart kids seem to get picked on pretty regularly, especially after they've aced a test or such in class."

"One reason they might do that Danny, is that they don't want to work hard enough to do well themselves, so if they encourage the kids that do to do lesser work, some teachers will end up curving the grades, and making it easier to pass. In your school, it's more likely that those kids are there on scholarship and the boys harassing them feel they shouldn't be there."

"That's stupid Mom."

"Yes it is son, but some people act that way. There are other reasons some folks don't do as well as they could. It's not uncommon for girls to hide their intelligence, because most boys are afraid of smart girls. If you've not seen it yet, you will probably over the next few years. Maybe that doesn't happen here in the UK, but it has everywhere else we've been."

"Mom, aren't there schools where that doesn't happen?"

"Completely? Not that I'm aware of, but there are some that are better than others. A lot has to do with school traditions and overall environment, as well as the background of the kids. For example, private schools, or as they refer to them over here public schools, like the one you're in, tend to have less of it, since parents are not happy if their kids mess up when they're paying so much for the privilege to attend. It's more common in the State schools, what we'd call public, since they're free. But, once bullying or harassment issues get into a school it's really hard to get it out. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a private or public school. It's even in stories of schools. Look at those Harry Potter stories."

I nodded, "But, a school like that would be awesome Mom."

She laughed. "Yes, but you're not adopted so I don't think you're a wizard." She brushed the hair from my forehead, "Nope, no scar."

I laughed at that one. "Thanks Mom. I guess I just wish this were one of the good schools then."

I saw a worried look on her face. "Don't worry Mom. I'll study. They're leaving me alone now."

"Okay. But, it's a mother's prerogative to worry." She looked at me carefully as she asked "So, are you running into any issues in your classes?"

"Not unless you count spelling... I keep getting tripped up over the simplest words. So far, they're cutting me some slack, but I suspect sooner or later, they'll expect me to remember."

"That's true dear. You'll get used to it."

"By the way Mom, I got some really funny looks when I asked what kind of curve the teachers used. Apparently they don't have them over here. Oh and Mom, I got a letter for you and dad from the school today."

"That's interesting. Well, we knew there were differences. Let's see the letter." Opening it and skimming the letter she said, "Hmmm. Interesting. Apparently that test you took two weeks ago was a qualifying test. You've been invited to take a second test to get into a special school for the gifted."

"What kinda test?"

"It doesn't say. But, if you like, I'll give you permission. If you get in, we can look at the school and see if it's nicer than this one." She said as she signed the permission slip. "The name of this school sounds familiar. Well never mind. Here you go."

"Thanks Mom."

The next day I looked around the testing room. Hmm, there was a surprise; one of the Jocks was in here too. I guess his mates didn't know he was smart, I thought to myself smiling. The rest of the kids were mostly the ones I'd expected. I sat down, to what was the weirdest test I'd ever seen. It was as if there were no right or wrong answers. I was glad this was all we had to do today, as I was a bit wiped out from trying to answer the questions honestly. I mean, what's the right answer between what I'd prefer to do 'carve a bird from soap' or 'build a book case’. I sat there a few minutes when I was done before indicating I was finished to the proctor. He wrote something down, and motioned for me to remain seated, which I found a bit surprising, but relieving all the same. I just sat there and rested, not paying attention to the others.

Eventually he said "Time's up. Please put down your pens and close your answer books. Mr. Humphrey, could you please wait a moment after I take them up?" He collected our exams, and put them in a envelope which he sealed and then dismissed us. I took my time getting up.

"Yes sir?"

"Were you giving up there Mr. Humphrey?"

"No sir. I was just indicating that I'd finished all the questions." He gave me a sharp look before he nodded. "All right then,off with you." As I was walking out, he made another note on the outside of the envelope, and then he left, as well.

After leaving the room, I noticed two of the other guys huddled together, surrounded by a bunch of the bigger kids. It was the same scene that had taken place a few weeks ago with that girl, lit looked like the same group of bullies too. I sighed and started pushing my way in on one side. "Hi Chris” I said to one of the kids.

"Buzz off, Yank. We told you to not interfere before."

Yep, same guys, same imaginative vocabulary.

"What's to interfere with?" I said as I eased the two over keeping attention on me by continuing the dialog with the guy I perceived to be the leader. I was a little nervous, but I'd heard some of the marines talking techniques used in cutting people out of a crowd and was trying my best. It seemed to be working until one of the other guys reached out to grab my arm. When I blocked his grab, two others started and then it was defend myself or who knows.

By the time some teachers showed up, several of the guys were on the ground books and papers were everywhere. While I'd taken a bunch of punches I was still standing in my crouch.

Glancing around, I could see the two kids had gotten off somewhere. That was good. I'd been so busy I couldn't tell. With the teachers there, the bullies pulled back, the leader saying "you shouldn't a started things, Yank." He was quieted down by the teachers, and we were all marched down to the Head's office. They muttered among themselves along the way. The head briefly talked to all of them, and then to me. I guess I was held back ‘cause it was apparent they'd all been fighting me.

"Well Mr. Humphrey, what have you got to say for yourself?"

"I'm not sure I understand, sir."

"What possessed you to pick a fight with a lot of other kids at once? You apparently know how to handle yourself in such a fight, but we don't tolerate this kind of behavior in our school. They said you'd tried to pick a fight with them once before, but they restrained themselves. Maybe the board made a mistake in admitting you to Westminster. Do you have anything to say in your defense Mr. Humphrey?"

"I don't know, sir. I certainly didn't start that fight. I was just defending myself."

"Why do I have difficulty believing that when every one of them said you'd started it?"

"I'm not lying sir. I poked myself into..."

He interrupted me. "You admit to pushing yourself into their discussion when you weren't wanted, just like they said. Why is it you Americans always seem to think you belong in the center of things? If you weren't the son of a diplomat, I'd chuck you out of the school today. As it is, I'm putting you on probation, and adding that information to your file. I don't want to see any more similar behavior out of you Mr. Humphrey. Now, sit out there, while I contact your parents."

Wow. I wondered what I'd gotten myself into. And the head wasn't even willing to hear me out. I hoped Chris and James had gotten away before the fists started swinging. I knew my folks wouldn't be happy with me. I'd had to promise to not get into fights in order to take the lessons, and here I'd unintentionally broken my promise. Guess that's over.

While I was waiting, Chris came into the outer office looking really nervous. "You okay Danny?"

"Sorta. I'll probably have a few bruises."

"Thanks for getting us out of there. I don't know how you did it though."

"I don't like folks getting bullied, Chris. I couldn't stand there and watch, or go hide from it like Billy did."

"Billy's pretty smart, but he's gotta play with them on the field, and his dad works for one of theirs. He's gotta keep a low profile."

"Glad you two got out though. You'd best get out before the head decides you need probation too."

He looked at me with big eyes. "You got probation? They started it!"

"That's not what they said, and the Head took their story."

Chris gulped, and went over to knock on the Head's door. I wondered what he was going to do. Apparently the Head called him in. A bit later, the Head came to the door, and beckoned me over.

"Well, Mr. Humphrey. Chris here tells me an interesting story…" I didn't know how to respond to that, so I kept quiet. "…and, I'd take it as that, if he'd not been the student that got the teacher's attention to interrupt your altercation. I'm still not sure I want to take his story, as we've not had any trouble from those boys before, but I will. How were you able to get Chris out of their ring?"

I noticed that he'd just said Chris, so I guess Chris hadn't told him that James was there too, or Billy for that matter. "I listened to marines talking about taking people out of crowds and such, at my dad's last posting. At the time, it was the only thing I could think of sir."

"Care to explain how one twelve year old boy could think he could take on eight others who were mostly bigger than he was?"

"Umm. I've had a little training sir. But that's probably going to end now, since I got in that fight."

"Training, as in martial arts?" At my nod he continued. "I don't see how a little training there could have done it, but I agree that if you're going to feel like you can push others around that training should stop."

I hung my head. I knew I wasn’t trying to push anyone around. I was just trying to protect someone that couldn’t protect himself. It probably didn’t really matter. I knew my folks would be disappointed. I guess I'd not test after all now. Well, I could continue to do my kata anyway. I was sure they wouldn't want me to give up the exercise too.

"I'm going to leave you on probation. No matter the provocation, fighting is not acceptable. I will change the letter I was going to put into your files to indicate the reason behind the fight, but the letter still goes into your records. I'll also explain this to your mother when she gets here in another fifteen minutes or so."

"Thank you sir. I'm sorry for the trouble."

He nodded at me, and turned to Chris. "That was good of you to stand up for your friend, and let me know what actually happened out there. You made the right decision in going for a teacher rather than trying to handle things on your own. Good luck." Chris took off at that, looking pretty sheepish. I guess he felt bad getting praised for running.

It felt like forever, but was probably the quarter hour the head had indicated when my mom got there. She did NOT look happy when she saw me sitting there! "DAN JAMES HUMPHREY, I don't know what got into..." she started, and not too quietly either.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see the Head open his door at that. "Ahh, Mrs. Humphrey, just a moment before you take your son home. There are some new details that have come up since I talked to you on the phone."

I could see she wasn't any happier, but she restrained her temper. "Was it worse?"

"Not exactly Mrs. Humphrey. It seems your son had some extenuating circumstances. While this doesn't excuse his action, it may ameliorate it. Hopefully he'll learn from the experience."

"Extenuating? What can possibly justify fighting in the school?"

"I share your concern there, and that's why he will remain on probation for the remainder of the term. But it appears he spotted what he believed to be a group of students giving another a hard time and tried to intervene. As I've counseled him, it's not his duty to do this. He should have gotten a teacher, which is actually what the kid he intervened to help did once the fight started."

I stood quietly again. I think my mom was cooling down again. I hoped so, anyway. "Your son indicated he was able to take on eight other boys in a fight, or at least he believed he could anyway, because of some martial arts training he's received. While we generally encourage that kind of study since it helps instill self discipline, perhaps the limited training he's received hurt, more than helped there."

Mom looked at him there and didn't correct his assumption. "I quite agree that using martial arts to fight with others is inappropriate." I was sure now that this was the end of lessons for now.

"As I've told your son, fighting is not tolerated, and despite what he believed to be provocation, he was in the wrong. A letter to this effect, including his justification will be added to his permanent school record."

"Thank you. Is there anything else?"

"No, you may take your son home. We expect to see him again tomorrow." He turned to me. "Keep your nose clean son. To date, your teachers have had nothing but praise for the quality of your work, despite a different background before coming to our school."

I nodded, and followed my mom out of the office. In the hall I started "Mom, it's..."

She interrupted. "We'll talk about it tonight with your father. This is not place for it and I don't want you to have to go through it twice."

"Okay Mom." If she was bringing dad in, I guess I was really in for it. I wondered what Sensi would say this afternoon. I could guess it would be bad, if I went that is. I wondered if mom would even let me go.



Author's Note: I want to thank Karen for allowing me the pleasure of starting this story and I hope you all get as much pleasure out of reading it as I've had writing it. I also want to thank the two individuals that proofed and commented on the story as it developed. Their comments and criticisms helped immesurably! I also want to thank the person that gave the chapter a final review to hopefully reduce the mechanical errors (typos and the like). Any problems remaining are mine.

up
232 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A New Style Of Education: Hidden Gifts

Annette, I like the story and look forward to future chapters, but I have yet to place the link to Hayfield Hall or Immigration Manor. I guess that will come in future chapters. Considering his capabilities, he could help train the students in self defense. As far as I can tell, the story is fine as it is. Is Danny a T.G. or simply very smart?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hidden Gifts

It seems to me that Danny may be intersexed or Androgen deficiant. Remember they were talking about getting him pants, and having to take the waist in. It also sounded like the mother actually bought Danny some girl pants to fill in and they fit wonderfully without Danny finding out they were girl pants. So Danny has girl hips, it was made mention of when his mother said, Danny has hips most girls would want, or be jealous of.

From all of these clues I would say that Danny definately has feminine tendensies. The only thing that is stopping him from being picked on in school is probably his size and his confidence in being able to take care of himself, which the bullies found out.

I can't believe the head is so nieve to believe that Danny started the trouble when it was clear he stopped a bullying incedent, and protected himself. If his parents think he went around and provoked it, then I think the parents aren't as good at figuring out what happened and not listen to their child; nor trust him. Maybe they would be better off without having him as a child, which we all know will happen if he goes to Hayfield. They'll never see him again, and they will never judge him unfairly ever again.

Good job so far in the setup. Will this be another Maltilda in the making, that he will be ganged up upon and beaten to within an inch of his life? Will Hayfield come and get him like immigration manor did for Matilda? Those two stories run so close they fit perfectly into each other. I assume your goal is to merge this story also seemlessly into the other two stories.

Looking forward to your story.

Hugs
Joni W

The exams...

...that Danny (the main character) sits for follow the same pattern as the Hayfield Hall entrance exams that Karen describes in NSoE.

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Anouther fine Fan-fic

Good start
I like it so far. One little mixup at the end the last 4 or 5 paragrafes are repeated
Melissa C

Thanks for noticiing.

The offending "double paste" has been removed. I hope the "issue" didn't detract too much from the start of the story. I'll endevor to do better in the future.

The next 3-4 chapters are in final "review" now, and work allowing should show up fairly soon.

Annette

A Few More Edits

"don't have them over hear" should be "here"

"buzz of yank" should be "buzz off"

Good story. I don't understand how some in authority insist on people not standing up for themselves. I don't advocate fighting, but if people aren't willing to help others or stand up for their ideals, society doesn't make progress. Obviously, there are teachers and policemen who are supposed to help, but they can't act as personal bodyguards, either. Policemen generally aren't there to prevent crime, but to catch those who have committed crimes.

Where would our American Revolution be if the citizens hadn't stood up for themselves against the current authority?

Keep it up Danny!

American schools' phobia about fighting ...

... came about as a result of several interlocking items.

One of the old problems was that the popular kids would band together and claim that it was the unpopular kid's fault. This only became a problem when two things happened.
1) any kid grown to adulthood wrote a biography. small problems came from previously unpopular kids writing about the torments they suffered. large problems came from popular kids not only gloating about it, but itemizing the determinable facts that should have clued in the school that they were lying about it. That the adults willfully overlooked to support those popular kids.
2) unpopular kids started to support each other against the popular kids. Started with telling a story contrary to the popular group defense (then the school had to try and determine right/wrong). Went to adding fault from other enabling popular kids. "Well Bruiser did smash Wimp's mouth, but he only did it because The Queen told him to. And Barbie and Princess had Mongo and Duh hold Wimp to make sure he couldn't defend himself. And all ten of us unpopular kids agree that this is what happened." Now you have a real mess. Aggravated by the next element.

Parents using lawyers to defend kids.
"What do you mean holding a school assembly to push the 'no fighting' bit by claiming that Mongo caused the fight against Wimp! He was never convicted in a court of law so you cannot make those unfounded accusations against him, I WILL SUE!".

This coupled with the desire to push multiculturalism (kids, you can't pick on Achmed and say he smells bad, in his culture they don't bathe. or use soap. or deodorant. and his culture OKing slaves and subjugating women is just as good as ours, maybe better) made a "no fault" fighting policy a no-brainer.

Revolutionary

Where would our American Revolution be if the citizens hadn't stood up for themselves against the current authority?

I heard a story about some researchers who circulated the Declaration of Independence, set in modern type and tricked out to look like a petition, to see if anyone would recognize it -- and nearly got themselves arrested for sedition!

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

Molly

"Sometimes, I just can't help myself!" -Babs Bunny

On the other side...

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I don't advocate fighting, but if people aren't willing to help others or stand up for their ideals, society doesn't make progress.

As an alternative to calling authority, personal intervention is a risky choice. The person who chooses to interrupt a crime and make a citizen’s arrest, or render physical aid to an accident victim had better get it right, or face civil and/or criminal action. Remember that emergency services such as police, fire, and paramedics are also subject to review…although the appropriateness of their penalties for getting it wrong are sometimes highly debatable.

Obviously, there are teachers and policemen who are supposed to help, but they can't act as personal bodyguards, either.

In the story, the school’s position is that Danny, having witnessed a bullying incident in progress, would have done better to bring an authority to the scene in time to witness and interrupt it—just as Chris, the boy Danny rescued, did during the second incident—rather than to intervene personally.

Policemen generally aren't there to prevent crime, but to catch those who have committed crimes.

That’s because citizens fail to call police when a crime is in progress, such as in the infamous Kitty Genovese murder. Police would very much like to hear from us when we see something going on, which is the whole idea behind neighborhood watch programs. (On one occasion, my report of unusual activity to the police resulted in the breaking of a car theft/chop shop ring. Even one person can make a difference by placing the right call at the right time.)

In many stories, as in real life, the authorities are shown in some cases to be uncaring and ineffectual. This news story about a school girl who was suspended after being assaulted by another girl (who incidentally had an arrest record already) includes:

“As far as the girls, they have at least one class together. Davis [the assaulted girl’s father] said the principal has no intention of changing either of their schedules to help avoid further conflict.”

In cases like this, legal and political pressure can sometimes be brought to back down the school administrators. But in Hidden Gifts, the teacher that Chris ran for stepped in and stopped the fight. Poor Danny doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Where would our American Revolution be if the citizens hadn't stood up for themselves against the current authority?

Where would it be if the British managed to put down the rebellion before help could arrive? The vigilantes/revolutionaries/freedom fighters do not always win.

More edits,

Dear Annette,

The story seems very interesting at this point.

Here are one or two edits (I think): < I'll still be taking a couple inches out of his waste. > You must mean waist. Also, I know what you mean with your wording, but what I learned from my mother (no home ec.) and heard on TV when the matter came up is this: One lets out the waist of something, making the waist larger. One takes in the waist, making the waist smaller. I don't know if this phrasing is only used in the NE US, used all over the country or in all the English speaking world.

Incidentally, when I was around 8 or 10 and probably when younger, my mother would buy "husky" sized jeans and pants for me and take the waists in by 4 inches. I think my testosterone was somewhat blocked by hyperprolactinemia and I was kind of fat. My hips were a little wider than most guys hips, and my butt also stuck out.

Hugs and Blessings,
Renee

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

How it relates to A New Style of Education

Although our "hero" doesn't readily appear to have gender issues, outside of a significant hip to waist ratio; I’ve thought of Hayfield Hall to be a place geared to help kids that wanted to learn but had difficulties in their former schools. I went back to the first couple chapters of “A New Style of Education” to verify this and to make sure I remembered the schools name as I am lousy at remembering names. In accordance with the original story line, the school is about helping gifted children that where/are in situations that kept then from being able to reach their potential.

As for Danny, we’ve only just began our introductions into his world and have been introduced to the fact that he has experienced some social issues that his big brother often helped him through. As of yet, we don’t know what the cause of these incidents are but with the hip to waist issue; I’d bet he is a bit effeminate in appearance.

The one thing that really appeals to me in this story line is the fact that Danny will stand up for himself and others that he perceives as unable to do so on their own. This is something I can relate to from my own child hood days.

Well done so far and I look forward to the next installments.

Huggles,
Winnie

Huggles,

Winnie
Winnie_small.jpg

Good story about Dan. I can

Good story about Dan. I can fully understand his comments about the English school system and what studies they do especially "Maths". I and my siblings went to English schools when our family was stationed in England. At our school, we did learn American history, but from the English point of view, which was, in my opinion, really cool as it gave another slant on the subject. We were always being told about our word spelling (American vs English) and then when we got back to the US, told again, because by that time we were spelling words the English way, and the American teachers would grade us incorrect. Took many trips to the dictionary to prove us correct both ways. J-Lynn

The Tomb of the Unknowns

Annette,

Just want to say that I love this story as I do all the New Style stories. Just a little nit picking.

The Tomb of the Unknowns in Arlington National Cemetery is guarded by the US Army, not the Marines. Specificely, the 3rd United States Infantry (The Old Guard). Being as I retired after over 20 years in the Army, I tend to pick up on stuff like that. Please don't take offence. I would not be able to comment on British Units, having no experence or knowlege other than what I have read.

Thank you for a wonderfull story.3

Terry

Yes, of course, you're correct...

For whatever reason, I was linking that with the marine Barracks at 8th & I... *sighs* Don't ask me why. Perhaps, because I knew an officer that served there. *shrugs*... I'll fix the chapter.

Thanks for the correction.
Annette

Miscellaneous Comments

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

In a way, it's a good thing, with those hips, he'll never be able to get away with that sloppy style where boy's wear their jeans half way down their hips so their underpants show out the top."

In RL I have heard women make much sharper comments than this one, such as “We [women] know where our waists are!” or the crack I heard one woman make to her friends about a Santa Claus figurine, which was “…just like most men, who can’t seem to keep their pants on.” The fact of the matter is, no garment that depends upon a waistband to stay up is really practical on the average male figure. About the only masculine option that the modern guy has is fashion coveralls, which hang from the shoulders. I’ve seen some styles that look pretty sharp, but I’m not sure how much the idea has caught on. So I suppose the guys will continue to get ridiculed for the impractical clothes they must wear.

"Mom, how come jocks tend to harass the brains? […] I've noticed over the past few weeks that some of the smart kids seem to get picked on pretty regularly, especially after they've aced a test or such in class."
 
"One reason they might do that Danny, is that they don't want to work hard enough to do well themselves, so if they encourage the kids that do to do lesser work, some teachers will end up curving the grades, and making it easier to pass.

Among bricklayers, this was known as “a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay”; anyone foolish enough to be too ambitious just might’ve found himself buried under a hod-carrier load of bricks. But it’s much more than that. Intelligence, natural skills, a practical education that results in acquired skills (both mental and physical), and wisdom (drawn from experience), especially when all combined together, represent real power that the “jocks” can answer only with force. Over the long haul, brain power eventually prevails over muscle power, and people know this. The natural response of people who cannot compete with brain power is fear, which is the most dangerous emotion, because the response to it is to destroy what is feared (if it is not possible to acquire that power for oneself). Another example of real power is the way that much of TG fiction expresses a yearning for and envy of the perks that go with being female, the power of female sexuality, and the female vulnerability that prompts protectiveness.

"… But, once bullying or harassment issues get into a school it's really hard to get it out. It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a private or public school. It's even in stories of schools. Look at those Harry Potter stories."

…or even in TG fiction stories about androgynous children trying to survive in school. Nothing like hanging a lampshade… ;}

I sat down, to what was the weirdest test I'd ever seen. It was as if there were no right or wrong answers. […] I mean, what's the right answer between what I'd prefer to do 'carve a bird from soap' or 'build a book case’.

That would be the Myers-Brigg Type Indicator personality inventory, which is based on types described by Carl Jung. This assessment is very popular among the followers of Elaine Aron’s books about Highly Sensitive People, who also tend to be very gifted people.

Great start

Jamie Lee's picture

Having been a military brat, Army, I can relate to Danny's moving from school to school. And not having people you know in school.

Danny gives the impression of being rather intelligent person with a love of learning. And the piano.

He also appears to be an individual who doesn't like seeming people being bullied, regardless of their school status.

If during the second altercation, he had gone for a teacher, by the time that teacher arrived they wouldn't have seen anything out of the ordinary or would have been told by the jocks they were just having a discussion.

What Danny got called on the carpet for shouldn't have been the first question asked. It should have been asked who threw the first punch, and since it was the jocks then Danny only defended himself.

What Danny does outside of school isn't the business of the school. That the headmaster is ignorant of martial arts, is the reason he found it hard to believe Danny took on those eight morons. If Lyd or George keep Danny from continuing his martial arts because of an ignorant headmaster then they are dead wrong.

So Danny took 'the' test, and the second one. Wonder how long before he gets the invitation? Wonder if Chris and James get one too?

Others have feelings too.