My Summer in Pantyhose Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version

Synopsis: Jamie goes to his job interview.

Chapter 14

Mike and Todd stared intently at the computer monitor as Todd maneuvered his character through a hoard of hobgoblins. "Crap," exclaimed Todd. A balrog came out of nowhere and knocked Todd's character dead. "Where did that come from?"

"Those guys show up when you least expect them. Think we should call Jamie?" asked Mike.

"Nah."

"Why not?" asked Mike, surprised.

Todd frowned. "I don't know how you feel, but I'd rather not hang out with Jamie much anymore."

"Oh. Is it because he's wearing pantyhose?"

"Yeah. Don't you think it's kind of weird?"

"I guess so. He's still the same person."

"Maybe he's not the person we thought he was. Do you want to get your ass pulverized? People are going to think we're fags."

"Jamie's not gay."

"How do you know?"

"He told me."

"He's probably in denial. Look, you can hang out with Jamie if you want, but I'm going to steer clear and I'd appreciate it if you didn't have him around when I'm around."

Mike sighed. "OK. I think you're being pissy to Jamie. He has been a good friend."

"I've gotta look out for own neck."

* * * * *

"Hey Mom," said Jamie as he entered through the front door. Even though he knew he was in trouble, he was too excited from his time with Megan to curb his overall sense of elation. He didn't understand it, but the world seemed different now. He felt older. "I'm sorry. We lost track of time playing chess."

"I'm in the living room," answered his mother.

Jamie found his mother sitting on the couch with a magazine on her lap.

"Sit down. I need to talk to you about something."

Oh, no, he thought. This is going to be bad. "I'm really sorry Mom. I wasn't riding after dark. We were in Megan's ... house." He wasn't sure what his mother would think of him being in Megan's room.

"I know. I called Megan's mother. I know you're very excited to have a new friend but in the future, I expect you home on time."

"Okay."

"We'll let it slide this time."

"I'm not in trouble?"

"You've been warned. Now, I have something important to talk to you about."

Jamie perked up. A deluge of possibilities crowded his thoughts. Were they moving? Had dad contacted mom?

"Your grandmother called tonight. She thinks you're getting bored."

"I'm not bothering her."

"She's not complaining but she doesn't think it's good for you to sit around being bored. Do you remember the fabric store?"

"That was boring."

"Oh, well, your grandmother talked to the owner and she might be interested in hiring you."

"You mean a job? I would get paid?"

His mother chuckled. "That's usually how it works."

"What would I have to do?"

"I don't know for sure, probably stock shelves and move any heavy stuff. It won't be very glamorous I'm afraid."

"That's okay. I don't want to have to cut cloth or actually sell stuff to people."

"I doubt you'll be doing that. So, are interested?"

"Yeah. Money is money."

"Good. I'll tell your grandmother in the morning. You'll probably have to go for an interview tomorrow so I'll pick something out for you to look nice. You should take a shower tonight."

"Okay. Will I have to work all day, every day?"

"No, you'll just be part-time. Your grandmother said the owner wants someone for a few mornings a week."

"Wow. This is so cool, a job. Do I get to keep all the money?"

"We'll work that out. Julie puts most of hers in a savings account but I think you can have some more spending money." His mother smiled. "Just don't spend it all on Megan."

Jamie felt his cheeks flush.

* * * * *

As soon as Megan arrived home, she put the chess set away in the family room. Her father was watching the final innings of a baseball game.

"Practising your chess?" he asked.

"No, I had a friend over tonight. I beat him."

"That's my girl. Anybody I know?"

"Jamie Stewart. He goes to our church but I don't think you've met him." Megan sat on the couch next to her dad.

"New boyfriend?"

"Dad! That's what everybody keeps asking me."

Her father shrugged.

Megan changed the subject to her father's golf game. She watched some of the baseball game then wished him good night. As she turned the corner at the top of the stairs, she heard her mother talking to Melissa in the kitchen and stopped to listen.

"But Mom. He was wearing pantyhose and he's such a geek."

"Jamie was a guest in our home and we will treat guests with respect and courtesy. Is that clear?"

"Yes, Mom."

"I think Megan likes this boy so he's probably going to be coming around quite a bit. I expect you to behave yourself in the future."

"Boy might not be the right word."

"Melissa! Are you listening to me?"

"Can't I have an opinion?"

"If it's not pleasant you should keep it to yourself."

Megan headed toward her room. She had heard enough. At least Melissa would not be openly hostile to Jamie in the future, but Megan did not feel reassured. Why was everyone being so mean to Jamie? Didn't they see what a sweet guy he was? Megan was surprised so many people would be so juvenile as to judge and condemn someone solely based on some clothes.

Megan logged onto her computer. A few moments later a chat window popped up from Nikki.

"Hey Megan, what's up?"

"Getting ready for bed."

"Did you see dancing with the stars?"

"No. I hung out with Jamie."

"Jamie?"

"Jamie Stewart."

"LOL. You're kidding."

"No. We played chess."

"Is he still wearing pantyhose?"

"Yes. There's a lot more to Jamie than the clothes he wears."

"LOL. Sounds like you're in love. You're not dating him are you?"

"We're friends."

"I suppose Josh Martins won't see him as much competition."

"Josh isn't interested in me."

"You wish he was."

"I'm tired. Going to bed. Good night."

"Later."

Megan logged off her computer. She sat on the end of her bed and admired her nylon-clad legs. She wondered what it was like to sleep in hose. Jamie was sleeping in his. She put on her long sleeping t-shirt but left her hose on. As she slid between the sheets, she noted that wearing nylons to bed felt good and wondered why she had never tried it before.

* * * * *

Jamie looked at the clothes his mother had put on the bed for him to wear, dark beige capri pants and a light blue top. He thought the top was okay but he wasn't sure about the pants. He pulled on the top and slid the pants on over his coffee-colored Sheer Energy pantyhose. The pants stopped just below his knees. They were not tight-fitting but they were not baggy like most long boys shorts. If he wore these to school he knew he would get all sorts of wisecracks about shrinking pants or expecting high water. He thought the color of the pants worked well with the shade of his hose. His mother said he had to look nice for the interview.

"That looks very smart Jamie," said his mother when he entered the kitchen.

"Am I going to have to dress like this every day?"

"Well, that depends on your employer. I suspect she'll let you wear shorts in the summer, but when you have a job, you have to dress the part."

Jamie ate a bowl of cereal while his mother unloaded the dishwasher. The click-clack of Julie's heels announced her entry.

"Hey Jamie. Ready for your big job interview?"

"I guess so. I don't really know what I'm supposed to do."

"Just answer the questions honestly," chimed in his mother.

"At least you don't have to worry about looking pretty," added Julie.

"OK Jamie," said his mother. "Let's get going."

"Good luck," said Julie as Jamie and his mother left.

* * * * *

"You look very nice Jamie," said his grandmother. "Shall we go? Lucelle wants to see you first thing this morning."

"I'm kind of nervous," Jamie confessed as he followed his grandmother out to her car.

"Oh don't be nervous. I'm sure you'll get the job. Lucelle needs a boy to move some of the heavier stock and there aren't a lot of boys applying for jobs at cloth stores."

Jamie wasn't sure if that made him feel relieved or more nervous. Could he brag about working in a cloth store? Well, money was money.

Jamie's grandmother parked in the empty small lot in front of The Fabric Barn.

"Looks like they're closed."

"Yes, they don't open until 9:30. Lucelle said she would come in early for your interview." Jamie's grandmother tapped on the glass door. The store's name was emblazoned across the door. Posters in the glass windows that ran across the front of the store advertised sale items.

Jamie looked inside at the rows of fabric bolts displayed on circular shelves. Do I really want to work here, he asked himself.

After a few minutes Lucelle emerged from the back of the store and unlocked the door. "Good morning Emma. And how are you Jamie?" She eyed him up and down. "Ready to work?"

Jamie felt flustered. "I'm starting today?" he blurted out.

Lucelle and Jamie's grandmother both laughed. "Come on in." Lucelle locked the door behind them. "The office is back here." They followed Lucelle into the back of the store and into a small office. Jamie noticed all the large boxes in the stock room. Lucelle motioned to the two plastic chairs facing the desk that Lucelle sat behind. A keyboard and monitor occupied much of the space on the desk. The office also contained two gray, steel file cabinets and a small refrigerator.

"Well, Jamie. Your grandmother here tells me that you want to work for me in The Fabric Barn."

"I'm looking for a job."

"Ever had a job before?

"No."

"Do you mind stocking shelves and moving some heavy items?"

"No, I mean yes, I'm willing to do that."

Lucelle smiled. "Well, I'm looking for someone to work three days a week in the mornings. If you do well we might expand your hours and duties but at the moment I need some help with the stock. Do you think you're interested?"

"Yes."

"Good. Consider yourself hired. I'll have the paperwork ready when you come in tomorrow morning. You'll need to be here at nine." She opened a drawer in the desk and took out a dark brown apron with three pockets across the bottom and store's name emblazoned across the front in red letters. "This is your apron that you will need to wear while working. I'll have your name tag ready in the morning."

I took the apron from here. "Um, can I wear shorts?"

"Well, that's an interesting question. I like my workers to look clean, sharp, and professional. I don't allow bare legs, so my employees either wear slacks or nylons with a modest skirt or shorts."

"Jamie wears nylons everyday," his grandmother remarked.

"Oh." Lucelle looked over the desk at my lower legs and feet. "Well, are those support hose?"

"Yes, sheer energy," he answered.

"Well, that's very sensible young man. As long as you're wearing hose, you can wear shorts but none of those baggy shorts that look like they're about to fall off. Your sandals are fine as well."

Jamie and his grandmother thanked her and followed her to the front door.

"Oh, I almost forgot," she said. "As an employee, you qualify for a five percent discount on all regularly priced items. I suspect you'll be buying a lot of supplied for Emma." She and Jamie's grandmother laughed.

* * * * *

Megan was lounging by a window in her living room reading a teen magazine. Having just taken a shower, her damp hair hung limply on her shoulders. Her feet rested on a foot stool to give her maroon nail polish a chance to dry.

"Megan," said Melissa. "Mom told me I have to tell you I'm sorry for teasing Jamie last night."

"Accepted," Megan answered without looking up from her magazine. "Just don't do it again."

"Why are you friends with him?"

"He's a sweet guy and I like him. He's honest."

"I think he's weird. He used to just be a nerd. Now he's weird."

Megan rolled her eyes.

"Everybody's talking about him. Why does he wear pantyhose?"

Megan was very bored with this conversation. "Why don't you ask him yourself."

"I'm not going to talk to him."

"Good grief Melissa. He's not a leper. I'll try to let you know when he's coming over so you can hide."

"Carla thinks you're dating him."

"Carla should stop sniffing her nail polish. We're friends. Don't you have anything else to do."

Melissa smiled triumphantly before walking out of the room. She loved annoying her sister. Any tiny victory was worth celebrating. She had spent her entire life listening to how great Megan was. Maybe if Megan really embarrassed herself with this freak Jamie, she thought. The seed of a plan sprouted.

* * * * *

"So are you excited about your new job?" asked Jamie's mother as they drove home from his grandmother's house.

"I'm excited about the money. I have to wear this stupid apron though."

"I've seen worse uniforms."

"At least I can wear shorts as long as I wear hose."

"Good thing you wear hose then isn't it?"

Jamie nodded. "Oh, I forgot to tell you last night. Megan can go to the barbecue with us."

"That's wonderful. I hope it's not too boring for you."

Nothing will be boring with Megan around, he thought. "Is it ok if I pop over to Megan's house to get my bicycle. They probably don't want it sitting around in their garage forever."

His mother smiled at his attempt at justifying his trip to Megan's house. "After dinner."

Julie asked Jamie all about his job interview and laughed about the apron and Lucelle's extreme concern with "proper" appearance. Jamie's mother insisted he try on the apron to see if it was too big. The apron stretched all the way around his slender frame and fell to mid-thigh, below the hem of the jean shorts he was wearing.

"Looks like you're wearing a skirt," exclaimed Julie.

"It doesn't," his mother assured him. "I think we can fix it." She shortened the cord going around his neck so that the hem of the apron raised above his shorts. "That's better. Don't you think?"

Jamie agreed.

Immediately after dinner, Jamie took off walking in the direction of Megan's house. His mother offered to drive him, but he turned down the offer. The garage door was open at Megan's house and his bike was clearly visible just inside. Jamie went to the front door and rang the bell.

Megan's mother answered the door. "Oh, hello Jamie."

"Hi, I came to get my bike."

"Oh yes." She came outside and led him toward the garage. "I think it's at the front. Yes, there it is."

"Um, is Megan home?"

"I'm afraid not. She went out with some friends."

"Oh." Jamie wanted to ask which friends but stopped himself, deciding that would be too nosy. Why, he wondered, did he feel so jealous about Megan going out with her girl friends. He remembered her comment about keeping the door open when she had boys over. "Well, tell her stopped by, okay?"

"I will."

Jamie took several steps down the driveway toward the street.

"Jamie. Aren't you going to take your bike?"

"Oh yeah. Sorry." Jamie walked his bike out of the garage and left.

Megan's mother watched him disappear down the street. "What have you started Megan," she said aloud to herself.

to be continued

up
182 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Me Thinks That Megan Just Might

Like Jamie as a boyfriend. I think that Jamie might actually enjoy letting people see him in hose since he wants to wear shorts all of the time. Too bad his friends don't both support him, but there are those that will hurt Jamie if they see him as a boy in hose.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Jamie's story just go to

Jamie's story just go to prove it is a double standard world as far as clothing is concerned. Women/girls can wear anything they choose and no-one says a thing about it. Let a Man/boy wear any item or color that others consider female oriented and they get instantly labled "gay", "fag" or prone to being beat up by low brow "cave dwellers". If people took a look at fashions during the ages, they would discover that male clothing had what we today would consider a very feminine look prior to the Victorian era. Boys wore dresses until they were about age 5 or 6. Men's clothes had lots of Lace trim on collars, sleeve cuffs and high heels were the norm. Jamie just might find that he likes working in the fabric store and he will learn something about fabrics. Everyone, regardless of gender should have a basic understanding of fabrics, as you do wear them on a daily basis. J-Lynn

Thanks for posting a new chapter

I have been waiting a while for a new chapter to MY SUMMER IN PANTYHOSE. Looks like Jamie will have to watch out for his friends. High School can be a cruel place for those that don't fit the norm. Keep the new material coming.

Amazingly true to life...

the way that Meagan's sister is hatching a plot to embarrass Meagan with Jamie. I have known friends who have relatives like this. They will do anything at all to make someone miserable. Why can't people just let other people who are "different", just live their lvies?

This chapter started out with two of Jamie's friends talking about Jamie wearing pantyhose, and one of the friends saying he would not be friends with Jamie ever again. I think that is a very selfish, and rude attitude to have.

The next chapter should be very interesting. Can't wait to read it.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

FINALLY!!!!

Finally, another chapter of 'My Summer in Pantyhose'. I was about to give you up for dead it has been so long. ;)

Good chapter. It closes some things and opens a LOT of new possabilities, good and bad. NOW, just don't wait so long before posting the next chapter, or I might have Erin call out the National Guard.

A.A.

Liked it but don't let it

Liked it but don't let it fall into mediocrity.
You have a really good story as yet.
Don't stop writing :)

Cheers
Yoron.

Thanks for new chapter

Hi from France

It's always a great joy when i see a new chapter has come. This time, i think that it's a transition chapter. Some of characters begin to reveal their personality. Todd is a big nerd but i hope he will be good punished when he will see Megan in Jamie's arms. Megan's mother is worried about the relation between her daughter and this strange boy but the most important for me, is the fact that Megan begins to realise that pantyhoses are good at all times. You are the author but i guess that perhaps, she will fall in love with Jamie because he is the only person who loves pantyhoses more than she loves them herself. I'm very impatient too, to know the Jamie's co-workers comments (all ladies i presume) about his nyloned legs and i hope that Lucille will require black sheer hosiery for Jamie. The only bad point is that now we surely must wait four month to read the 15st chapter, but i understand that you have surely many other things to do before writing the next chapter.

Thanks for this story. It's a really pleasure to read it and i would love to be Jamie.

Colors are up, and it ain't friendship

Jamie Lee's picture

Well, Todd finally showed his true colors, and they aren't friendly. He's at the point Jamie was when he started wearing pantyhose. Extremely self centered, more concerned what others will say than being his own person. Mike, on the other hand, is his own person in that he will remain friends with Jamie regardless of Todd's attitude. Maybe Todd will wake up one day and realize how much of a fool he's been.

Where did Nikki, Todd, and Melissa learn to judge a person because of their clothing? Where did Mike and Megan learn to accept the person for who they are? Whomever taught Mike and Megan needs to teach the others the same lessons.

So far Jamie hasn't been threatened with physical violence. But if jealous Melissa is out to embarrass both Megan and Jamie, her actions could be the catalyst which makes it happen. If it does happen, and Jamie gets hurt, she's going to hate herself afterwards. And so will Megan.

Others have feelings too.