Pen Pals : 2

Printer-friendly version

Pen Pals
by Kaleigh Way
of the Pen Pal Continuum


Hello, all. My name is Lindsay Nieves, but please call me Snowy.

I'm almost 17 years old, and I'm taking this course because my school counselor recommended it "for various reasons." One is to help me get into college, although at this point I doubt that I'm going. The other is to have contact with people in other parts of the world, and *that* is something I do look forward to.

I live with my family. I have an older brother, Rolly, who is 19, and my little sister Bibi, who is ten.

Our home is in Timbuctoo, California, in the old gold-rush country. In the 1850s it was a booming place and had its own Wells Fargo office. Now we don't even have our own post office, so you can imagine how lively things are.

You can still see the Wells Fargo building, which is quite historical, even if it is just a roof resting on the ground. There's a fence around it, so no one can go in and mess it with it. Or climb inside and steal something. (Just joking, of course!)

By the way, I wrote that stuff about Wells Fargo because my mother recommended that I try to describe the "bucolic delights" of this outback each time I write.

"Bucolic delights" is my mother's phrase. Part of the reason she thinks this is such a wonderful place to live is that she travels a lot for her job. She sells medical equipment, which you would think is a dead-end job. I mean, after all the hospitals and clinics buy their equipment, the market is gone, right?

Apparently not, because somehow she goes on selling.

My father is an engineer. He works at Beale Air Force base, which is close by. He always says, "I'm a civilian, and I'm civil, but I'm not a civil engineer."

My main project this summer is to find a job other than babysitting. There are some problems with that: there aren't many jobs other than babysitting, and I have to take care of Bibi most nights. Even though I don't get paid for *that*, I can take her with me if I babysit someone else.

There's actually a ton of money in babysitting, but it's a job that seriously impacts one's social life.

And way out here in the sticks, there is not much social life to be had.

Hmm... what else to say?

I'm related in some way to Tito Nieves, the salsa singer who sang on "I Like It Like That" -- so when you hear that song, think of me. I know I do.

Hey, Stormy, what will you teach in high school? You didn't say. We don't have any library-related classes at my school.

Laters,


Snowy


DISCLAIMER: Although Timbuctoo and Beale are real places, all names and situations are fictitious. Any resemblance to real life is completely coincidental.

up
41 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Stormy now Snowy

Who's next, Sleepy? Wake me when Snow White shows up.

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Sunny

It's weather-related.

Weather related?

So, 'Sleety' is next? ;)

Don't know where this correspondence is going, but I'm following along for a bit anyway...

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

Weather related or not.

Haley.

(Finally, some useful homophones.)

Sarah

Snowy...

Puddintane's picture

...seems clearly related to Nieves, which is in itself a fairly common first name in Spanish.

There is a fairly notable actress named Nieves, for example, Nieves Salcedo, and the Virgen de las Nieves is the patron saint of Calpe, on the Costa Blanca, and Chinchilla de Montearagón, as well as having her name scattered all over Spain and the Spanish-speaking world. In France she's known as Notre Dame des Neiges, and distributed all around the French speaking world. There's even a National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows in the USA, and other places here and there.

Here's an explanation from the Catholic Encyclopaedia, largely incomprehensible to me but I'm sure very clear to many:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11361c.htm

Cheers...

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

seven dwarves

There is seven writers writing this compilation.

jenna from Florida

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

eight dwarves

There are eight of us. Scott was hiding behind the Continuum (in the tags).

eight dwarves

I guess one of the eight must be snow white (Now don't all of you fight to see who it is). Which makes the eight authors.

Jenna from Florida

Hugs,
Jenna From FL
Moderator/Editor
TopShelf BigCloset
It is a long road ahead but I will finally become who I should be.

Sounds like...........

KevSkegRed's picture

.......This could be a whole lot of fun. And well written if the authors are in top form. Good luck guys & gals.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Damn, now I have to be subtly clever

Give me a few hours,

with luck I'll have something tonight. Now where are my noteson my character?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Subtly clever

Thing about subtly clever writers is leaving behind the not-subtly-clever readers that are just looking for entertainment.

John, your character could be "Soggy". ;-)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

John, why not…

…make your character "Sloggi" as in the popular brand of underwear? Then if he/she got wet could be Soggy Sloggi!

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

It's as well I'm not in this

I've given up coherent thought, now I no longer get paid for it.

Being the curious sort (and they don't come much curiouser than I), I'll stick with this for a while and see where it goes.

Susie

ICR: from Stormy

I will likely be teaching English -- or Language Arts, as it's mostly called now. I don't know if I want to specialize in Literature or Journalism or... there are a lot of options available to me. I'll also be the sponsor of the martial arts club. Everything from karate and kendo to pankration and capoeira! The really weird thing will be that a lot of my students will be the younger siblings of people that went to high school with me just a few years ago. That's kind of daunting! I'm going to have to deal with students that know me on a first name basis... which isn't really conducive to the teacher-student relationship.

LOL

erin's picture

Yes, I had that problem as a student teacher working with kids who were friends of my younger brother. Some of whom had been to my house to play with my brother. :)

Good luck,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

What the _____?

IMHO, I don't think you all are a continuum. You are eight individuals with your own writing ( style? technique?). Each of you is distinct from all the others. To me, that sounds discontinuous. :-)

I think you all are a consortium!

(But not in the financial or legal sense.)

Hugs,
Renee

By the way; I hope I'm not driving too many people crazy. I actually do realize that some of my comments are off the wall. I'm just being silly. I hope a few readers find these irrelevant comments mildly humorous. 8)

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

A consortium?

And pray tell, with whom does this contiguous consortium consort? Or, erm, who is the consort for this alleged consortium?

— Jaclyn (exhibiting a goofier than thou attitude)

A discontinuum?

Call Doctor Who!

Or Shakespeare:

Consort! what, dost thou make us minstrels? an
thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but
discords: here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall
make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!

Romeo and Juliet, III:1

Duh!

Angharad's picture

And thrice, duh!

Angharad

Angharad