Lost Balls -1- Philomena

Printer-friendly version

Willie and Dick wonder, what do you do when an important part of your anatomy doesn't answer roll call in the morning?

Lost Balls

by jijillian

 
1. Philomena

Dick Williams and Willie Richards approached the door as if it were a hibernating bear the two boys had determined to tickle into wakefulness. It didn't even seem like a good idea at the time. Dick held back, despite Willie's urgings to keep up. They'd done this reluctant hero act all the way over, taking turns being scared and brave.

"C'mon," said Willie. "I'm not doing this alone." He pushed his wavy brown-blond hair out of his blue-gray eyes with one hand while reaching for Dick with the other.

Dick dodged. "What if we're wrong? What if she's not the one who -- who did this?"

"Yeah? But what if we're right?"

"That's even scarier!" Dick licked his lips, his mouth as dry as diet crackers. His own straight black hair fell into his hazel eyes but he didn't seem to notice. He dodged Willie's grasp several times then relented and let the other boy grab his wrist. Only, they ended up holding hands. They let go at the same time, trading horrified glances.

It wasn't as if they didn't know each other, of course. They'd lived on the same block and gone to the same schools in Lakewood almost forever. Maybe they knew each other too well.

Dick had recently turned fifteen and Willie had a birthday coming up, right after Halloween. Willie had a sort of unfinished appearance and his clothes looked comfortably lived in, denim jeans, sneakers and a sweatshirt over a tee. Dick looked much neater in almost preppy, gray slacks, business-style wingtips, a black windbreaker and a pale blue shirt with a button down collar. They looked different but both liked computer games, science fiction, comic books and anime, and both had trouble getting dates and keeping girlfriends.

Which may or may not have had something to do with their predicament.

The door to the private entrance of the old Victorian apartment conversion opened suddenly, before either boy had summoned the nerve to touch the brass knocker. Philomena Duvalle stood there in all her fifteen-year-old pulchritude.

She wore turquoise hip-hugger capris, a raspberry bandeau top, orange-and-vanilla high heel sandals and matching neck scarf. Her slightly-tipped green eyes, chin-length, ginger-red curls and galaxy of freckles should have clashed with such a color combo but somehow, she just looked more vivid.

In her heels, she stood taller than either boy, who were in any case, a step lower than she on the stoop. They had to look up at her. She had hot rod curves where most girls her age still needed training wheels. And she had attitude.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked with an upward snap of her head that sent her bright curls bouncing.

"We're sorry," babbled Willie.

"Whatever we did," agreed Dick.

"We didn't mean to..."

"And we won't do it again..."

"Whatever it was!"

Phil, as her friends called her, frowned down at them.

"We must have done something..."

"...to someone..."

"...and you told everyone you were a witch!"

"So we thought..."

"Stop!" Phil interrupted, raising both hands. "Come inside," she ordered. Turning, she disappeared into the interior of the ground floor apartment, leaving the door open for them to follow.

* * *

[next: "They're Gone!"]

up
87 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh My!!

What an interesting start here! At this point this one could go almost anywheres. Right now I'm seeing a lot of humor! :)

hugs!

grover

I hope to go somewhere funny

I've got about eight more of these 500 word flash-chapters written. My plan is to post them on days when there is no Marcie Donner.

I'm also trying to get back in touch with Kyosuke so we can finish Sawnerve Island.

Personal life kind of got in my way for the last six or eight months, hopefully I can do more writing this summer.

jijillian

I Think The Title Says It All

Poor guys, I can just imagine the shock when they discovered what happened. And your chapter titles are a very nice touch too. And welcome back.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Geez! Too short

Have mercy, jillian! :-O

Way too short! That was barely over a single page of text.

Aardvark

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."

Mahatma Gandhi

Patience

My plan is to write two of these a day, and post three to five a week. I've got nine more written right now, though I keep fiddling with the early ones. :7

The plot is pretty simple, I want to keep it light and funny and move it along for 40 or 50 of these short chapters, maybe more if some new complications occur to me. :p The later ones do get a bit longer.

jijillian

Metaphor

Oh I love those razor-sharp metaphors.
Fabulous. Up to Chandler quality in vivd succinctness.
XX
AD

Name choices

Dick Williams and Willie Richards ?

Please don't hold it against me when I groan ;)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

I wondered

If anyone would notice that. :p Originally, I named them Tom and Harry, but this is funnier, because Tom and Harry are the ones that are missing.

jijillian

The start of something fun...

Wow... you packed a lot into 500 words, mostly by leaving it unsaid. Oh, and you'd expect Dick and Willie to be a little cocky, wouldn't you?


The girl in me...
She's always there and she enjoys a good pun.