Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 356.

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Stalling A Kite.
by: Angharad
part:356

I clopped out to Tom's LandRover and sat demurely inside it. "I still don't know how you walk in those things," he said as he started the engine.

"Practice, practice, practice," I said like a demented music teacher. He chuckled and drove out of the car park. "Where are we going to eat?" I asked although I knew the answer.

"Usual place, unless you have any objections."

"No, none at all." I began to wonder if he had an account there, or even if he had shares in the place.

We drew up outside and he helped me out of the cab, which is a little high compared to a normal car. I accepted his help gladly, after which I strutted my stuff on his arm as we went into the restaurant. Well it drew a few stares and made him snigger.

"The usual and a tuna salad, please", said Tom, "plus my Guinness and Cathy?"

"I'll have a cranberry juice," I replied, fancying the slightly sharp tasting juice.

We sat at a relatively private table, in the corner of the large dining room. "I won't ask who came to see you, but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts at what happened."

I waited until the drinks arrived, then after the waiter had left, began my version of events. "A student came to see me and told me he thought he might be happier as a woman. I told him there were better people to see than me, and he reminded me of my interview with the Beeb, when we had that little trouble with Comrade Mafia."

"So, he saw you as a role model?"

"I presume so."

"I'll bet he isn't half as lucky as you were."

"I doubt it. He looks quite masculine facially, and has a heavy beard shadow, all of which would make his task more difficult. It isn't impossible just harder."

"I can see that, your fine features have saved you no end of bother."

"Yes, I know I have been lucky all the way, except with my parents and in some ways even they came round when they saw there was no alternative."

"Yes, your father seemed to, didn't he?"

"I think he did in the end, once he saw no threat to his model of masculinity and also began to look deeper and see the individual inside. But that's all water under the bridge now, for me anyway. What are we going to do about my student?"

"Not much we can do until he asks us to officially, seeing you off the record, doesn't count, which is why he did it. Is he genuine, given your previous experience?"

"I'm not absolutely sure, but I suspect he is. But being genuine isn't the same as being serious about it."

"That's a subtle distinction," said Tom scratching his chin.

"Yes, in applying to myself, I was genuine all my life, I was serious after I met Dr Thomas and especially after my initial encounter with Stella."

"Can you not get this person on a bicycle and have Stella drive past him, if that was the magical catalyst in your case?"

"I think that might have been a one off."

"I rather think you're right there young lady, and here comes our grub if I'm not mistaken." He wasn't and we concentrated on eating rather than talking.

"This student of mine, he'd done some research on the internet, yet he still seemed poorly informed. He appeared not to know about the real life test and surgery."

"That could have been nerves," suggested Tom.

"Yes, it could have been, I suppose it could also be lack of opportunity and the anti-porn software may stop him being able to access a number of websites if he does it through our system. He seems to enjoy reading specialist fiction."

"I'd never even thought such a thing existed, but I supose it does and it's easier than going to grubby little bookshops in seedy back-streets, which was the case when I wanted to read Lady Chatterley."

"I can't imagine you emerging into the daylight with a book in a plain brown paper wrapper. Didn't that make it obvious as to what was in there, no one used brown paper for books."

"Smaller bookshops did and still do, before the emergence of Amazon and the cardboard book box."

"I thought most of them used bags with their name on."

"Not always."

"So was Lady C, worth the effort?"

"At the time, yes, on reflection now, no. But in those days my actions were products of the times."

"That's why I asked."

"I am not completely stupid, Cathy, but coming back to today's problems, what are we going to do with our little problem?"

"I don't know, hence my coming to see you. Remember, you big professor, me little, inexperienced teacher."

"Well, Glasshoppel, we wait and see."

"What, while we listen for the sound of one hand clapping?"

"Something like that. You told him where to go--politely, I hope, the university has its protocols and policies, so it will support him as much as it can, unless he uses this as an excuse for not doing his work. After all, it didn't stop you working, did it?"

"Is it reasonable for me to want little involvement, despite my own history?"

"Absolutely, you have no obligation other than to see him the once and give him appropriate advice about resolving his issue. It's his not yours, remember."

"I just don't like letting anyone down," I sighed.

"Neither do I, but there is also being reasonable and having your own life and agenda to follow. I would have said that once you start filming, you won't have time anyway. Let him go and see the experts, not rank amateurs like you!"

"Gee thanks, Tom, I hope you enjoy your meeting."

"Meeting?" he looked puzzled then recalled what I was on about. "Oh hell, yes, that meeting; bloody auditors!"

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
149 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Them too!

They got a martin-thingy beast for auditors? Could be quite handy!

Tom gave some excellent advice to Cathy. She has, and still is fighting her battles. This student needs to handle his own struggles in a productive manner. Until then it is all talk. Like the saying about ham and eggs: the chicken was involved but the pig was committed.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

How do you walk in those things?

It seems like Cathy's penchant for heels has been specifically mentioned in the last four chapters. I hope this isn't foreshadowing something dreadful happening to her legs or feet.

Probably depends...

... I know I never had any trouble with 2 to 2.5 inch heels. (And I never tried anything more than about 3.5 inches.) I do remember a friend that wore 4 or 5 inch heels all through high school. She attended the Naval Accademy (no, heels are NOT that high there.) When she got home for the Christmas holidays... She tried on a pair of her old heels, and her coment was "I almost broke my neck", and she said she never wore heels that high again (this was about 6 or 7 years after the event).

I do hope her constant wearing of heels doesn't cause trouble for her as well...

Annette

In the forest, a tree falls.

... and there is nobody there to hear it...

Thank you for the wise advise master. Perhaps someone reading the story may take the hint as well. :-)

This WAS an interesting episode, in many ways. Thank you.

Annette

Tom Reading That BooK? I Have A Question.

What is "Lady Chatterley"? And why would his reading it be so scandalous? Well, he is a great teacher and father surrogate for Cathy.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Lady Chatterley

Lady Chatterley's Lover was banned from publication in Britain until the mid-1950s because it was regarded as being obscene and contained "certain words." I was at boarding school at the time the first UK publication by Penguin after a big court case and we were all agog to get a copy. Compared to the stuff that is published today and even the stories that appear on BC, it was very mild. But it was the 1050s.

Gabi

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Aug, I'm not up on cocktails ...

What is a Guinness and Cathy?

I quote:

>>
"The usual and a tuna salad, please", said Tom, "plus my Guinness and Cathy?"
>>

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Unless Cathy is a brand of Scotch and thus this is a sort of boilermaker? I'm so confused, please advise.

John in Wauwatosa

Cathy?

He is asking Cathy what she wants.

The obscenity trial ...

... over DH Lawrence's novel 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' was in 1960 against the publishers Penguin. It was big news at the time. The defence of the book's having literary merit was upheld. IIRC there were no witnesses who supported the prosecution case and very many who gave evidence to the effect that it did indeed have great literary merit. It concerns a love affair between Lady Chatterley and her husband's gamekeeper, Mellors, complicated by the fact that her husband, Sir Clifford, is paralysed because of injuries sustained in WW1.

Lawrence was an excellent writer but I think other books are better. My favourite is 'Sons and Lovers' but 'Women in Love' (filmed with Alan Bates and Oliver Reed) runs it a close second. I have a personal reason for enjoying his books as many of them are set in an environment I know well from my own childhood. Even though they were written several years before I was born, the coal mining community hadn't changed so much.

Geoff

I'm of Two Minds

whether or not it would be good to follow this new character, the student who wishes to transition, or not. On the one hand, it could muddy what's been a very good story so far. On the other hand, it might be interesting to follow the progress of someone who doesn't start with as much going for her in the looks department as Cathy did.

Could this be the basis for a completely different story? (Yes, I I know, I'm greedy!)

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

practice, practice, practice ----- ROFL

yea seems that way for most anything.

me & heels tho were made for each other ... ya know the proverbial duck takes to water. I can get about in heels as well as tennis shoes and rarely suffer after effects so many others complain. guess that one thing of several I didnt have to work on so hard ... BUT ... with every silver lining there comes a price ... mine is I'm 6 ft 2" barefoot

so often heels are something i wear in rare occation.

:( and I really love the really high hi-ones too (((sniffles)))

I joked

With some ladies at work, and was informed that they all would wear heels if workplace rules permitted. They thought I was funny. OK, call it undercover research.

About the student. If he is for real he is in agony. Don't forget one of the major causes of death for these guys, I hope it doesn't do down that path.

If the phone dosen't ring, I'll know it's you

Run, don't walk away from that kid, He was too enthusiastic about showing you his photos in a dress.
Bad vibes Cathy, bad vibes

Cefin