All Things Denied 21 - 'Prue's'

Printer-friendly version
Notes of a Journey Trilogy
Book 1
All Things Denied

Chapter 21 - 'Prue's'

A Gaby FanFic by PB

Will things get any better for Gaby? Can they get any worse?


 

Now available for Purchase from Lulu.com!

Available for Purchase as
Download & Paperback


Viewing Note: This story should be viewed with the Edwardian Script ITC font installed on your Windows platform in the c:/Windows/Fonts directory. Microsoft Word installs this font automatically.

Photo Credit: Used with her permission....“Let Me In”  © by simpledrama .
 


 
Chapter 21
 

After the three had silently taken their seats, Miss Jackson, still seated at her desk, slowly started to speak in a quiet, but calm and deliberate voice. Her disappointment with the class was unmistakeable, even to the most un-attentive student.

“For the last five weeks ... I could ... only ... observe ... the treatment given by this class … to a guest of this country ... and what I saw ... disgusted me ... to no end!”

Once more, the virtual room temperature plummeted when she stared at her students.

“...And other teachers noticed as well. The whole purpose of the exchange student program is to enrich the learning experience and education of not only the students directly involved in the program ... but to share that learning experience with the others in the school by allowing other students ... meaning all of you ... to interact with the exchange student.”

Pausing just long enough to catch her breath, she continued her lecture.

“Who do you think you are? How dare you presume to be so superior to Gaby … that you can sit in judgment of her and make the decision to deny her the experience of seeing first hand what it is be a teenage girl in this country!”

“Ironically ... all your efforts did ... was to ensure she learned something of the darker side of life in this country ... the hallmarks of the bigoted and prejudiced ... a totally irrational hatred towards anyone who they consider undesirable because they’ve decided those individuals are different!”

Cathy knew it was a rhetorical question, but she had to ask.

“Did anyone ... anyone at all ... at any time ... even think to put themselves in Gaby’s shoes and imagine what they would feel like being in a foreign country ... away from home ... possibly for the first time ... and treated like you’ve treated her?”

She noticed several students, with eyes downcast, slowly shaking their heads.

“As the ‘host’ school … all of us were effectively Ambassadors of this country to the British exchange students. It was our job to project a realistic … and yet, favourable image to these kids ... put our best foot forward, so to speak.”

“There’s an old saying ... maybe you’ve heard it? ‘You don’t get a second chance to make a first impression’. Now I ask you ... just what ‘first impression’ of this country do you think you left with Gaby?”

Changing the direction of her argument, Cathy casually rose from her chair and walked to the front of the classroom.

“Bet you never considered that you were also denying yourselves a unique learning experience, did you? I doubt most of you will ever venture beyond the confines of this country, let alone this State ... or maybe even this county ... yet you passed up possibly your only chance to learn from one of your peers ... and yes ... make no mistake, people ... she is your equal!”

Letting that sink in, Miss Jackson paused briefly and then continued lecturing her class.

“Ever wonder what it’s like to live in another part of the world? You had the perfect chance to learn all about that very thing ... and you threw it away.”

“Then again ... I realize that would mean you’d actually have to talk to Gaby ... and that would just never do ... would it? Heaven forbid if you ever found out that she’s just like you ... a typical teenager.”

Miss Jackson paused for a brief moment to gather her thoughts before continuing.

“Sports are a big thing in this school ... aren’t they? For that matter … sport and the notion of winning plays an important part in the American way of life ... wouldn’t you say?” Her question brought more than a few nods of agreement from students, especially those involved with the school’s various sport teams.

“Besides Aidan and Britney … how many realized we had a genuine sports celebrity in our midst?”

Judging by the inquisitive looks and raised eyebrows from several in the class, Miss Jackson knew she’d hit upon a concept that many of the students could identify with.

“I assume you all listened to last Monday’s announcements and heard about Gaby and Aidan’s 90 mile bike race around Atlanta ... and no doubt you’ve probably seen Gaby on her bike either around the school or riding past your homes ... and I know that Britney didn’t mention this in her talk ... but … did you know that Gaby has no less than three British national titles for her age group in competitive cycling to her name, including that of British National Junior Road Race Champion for under 14’s, for both last year ... and ... this year?”

Cathy paused for effect and then sarcastically continued, “If you talked to her ... you would’ve known that!”

Returning to the blackboard, she absently erased an empty space and then suddenly turned around to face the class.

“I bet most of you, if not all ... have at one time or another ... wondered what it must be like to have someone like a movie star or a major sport celebrity or a rock star, for a parent, right?”

As Cathy scanned the classroom, she noticed a few nodding heads.

“I’m sure if you took the time to get to know Gaby instead of avoiding her, she could’ve told you. Her mother is the current Women’s Professional Cycling World Champion and as such, is internationally known and recognized.”

When she finished, Cathy smartly turned and retook her seat behind her desk. Once she sat down, she scanned the expressionless faces before her and wondered if any of them actually cared.

(Riiiinnnnggggg)

“Okay, people ... time to go to your next class!”

As the kids quietly filed out of the room, Gaby hung back before slowly joining the exodus. Once through the door, an apologetic Aidan descended upon her.

“You okay ... Gabs?” he softly asked.

“I haven’t decided,” Gaby cynically replied after seemingly thinking about it for a brief moment, as they walked down the hall.

“Nothing’s changed, I see ... Brit still took off to be with Queen Casey and her court,” She bitterly thought as once again, Britney ran off.

“What you said ...you and Miss Jackson ... really hit some nerves.” Aidan’s comment nudged Gaby back to reality.

“I’ve put up with six weeks of this, Aidan. I just said what I felt ... an’ I had no idea Miss J felt like she did. I admit ... it kinda felt good to hear her say all those things … but ... why did they even have to be said? Why did I even feel I had to say what I did? Why were the kids so mean? All of this just because I don’t act like they think a girl should and make boys the only priority in life?”

“C’mon … be fair, Gaby! Not all the kids felt like that!” Aidan pointed out. “A few of the girls wanted to know you a whole lot better.”

“You noticed that too, huh? I just thought I was imagining things...” Gaby’s voice trailed off as she broke out in a quiet smirk.

“You’re laughing again,” Aidan playfully observed.

“Am not!” Gaby pouted, hoping it sounded convincing.

“Are too...” Aidan responded. “... I heard you!”

“Well ... it’s yer fault!” Gaby joked between giggles.

“Why’s it my fault?” Aidan innocently asked.

‘Cuz ...” Gaby replied, not expecting any response.

“Oh, well ... that explains it,” Aidan smirked while trying to keep a serious expression, with little success.

Upon reaching Jessica’s Geography class, Gaby turned to Aidan and taking hold of his free hand, dejectedly commented, “The worst thing about homeroom this morning is ... I doubt it even registered with the other kids.”

“Well ... this is it ... our last class together. Thanks for walking me ... an’ thanks for cheering me up ... again.” She drew closer to him and kissed him on the cheek before the two entered the classroom. Miss Bell called the class to order just as Gaby started towards her assigned seat. As she settled in her for the lesson, Gaby’s thoughts were preoccupied with what had transpired so far that morning. Everyone now knew where the others stood. No more posturing. She had voiced her true feelings about the visit and even ‘came out’ to her classmates, with the result that for the first time during the entire trip she felt strangely relaxed and content.

“...For Friday, have chapter 15 read and be prepared to discuss it...” Miss Bell instructed as the class was dismissed. When Gaby started to walk past her, Jessica stopped her.

“Gaby? Got a moment?”

“Miss?”

“I noticed you didn’t seem to be on the same planet as the rest of us today ... any reason other than it being your last day?”

“Sorry.”

“I think whatever’s on your mind was affecting the others as well ... they seemed ... well ... more quiet than usual! Any ideas as to why?”

“Miss Jackson kinda let me say a few things to the other kids during 'Homeroom'...” Gaby quietly replied.

“What kind of .... things?” Jessica had a fair idea of how Gaby felt, but she wanted to hear it from the feisty teen. Gaby didn’t disappoint her as she launched into a short summary of her ‘talk’.

“I wish I was there to hear it. You know that took real courage with this crowd, don’tcha? I’m really gonna miss you!” Jessica whispered as she felt a tear escape her eye. She quickly dabbed it with a tissue and hugged Gaby.

“Better run along now! You still have two more classes before lunch. I’ll see you later.”

Gaby quickly headed for her locker to get the books she required before heading to her next class with only minutes to spare. At least with English, she had some quiet time as they watched some taped documentary on Shakespeare. That left one more class to endure. As she walked alone to her final class, she couldn’t help but notice that she was getting a few more than the normal lingering glances from the other kids.

“Something’s up ... I can feel it!”

“Glad you could join us, Gaby...” Bunny cheerfully greeted as she closed the classroom door after Gaby walked in.

Even though the rest of the ‘gang’ was already in their assigned seats, only Ally and Bernie had any kind of welcoming look on their faces. Both Maddy and Em looked like they had lost their best friend and tried to avoid looking at her as she walked past them to her seat.

Once she settled the class down, Bunny started her class discussion but was quickly interrupted when Casey raised her hand.

“Yes, Casey?”

With all eyes on her, she quietly asked for Bunny’s indulgence.

“Bunny? May I say something? It has nothing to do with what you’re teaching now ... but the Junior Cheerleaders and the other girls that had classes with Gaby have asked me to speak for them ... and it’ll be my last chance to say this, as well.”

“The floor’s all yours.”

As Casey stood beside her seat and turned to look at Gaby, she took a deep breath before speaking.

“Gaby? All of us want you to know that back in 'Homeroom' ... you ... and Miss Jackson were right. Each one of us thought we had a reason for behaving as we did ... but we were wrong and we had no right. We’re really sorry for the hurt you must’ve felt because of us. I think if we even bothered to put ourselves in your place, like Miss Jackson suggested ... we ... well ... I ... never thought ... I’m really sorry, Gaby ... if it’s not too late...”

Casey’s voice failed her. Ashamed of herself, her gaze shifted to the floor as the first bit of moisture began to form over her eyes. She was about to sit down when she heard a shuffling of feet in front of her. When she looked up, she saw Gaby standing in front of her, offering her hand.

“No kiss?” Casey weakly joked in a quiet, emotional voice as Gaby gently brushed a tear from Casey’s cheek.

“Only if you want one,” Gaby softly countered.

“That’s okay…” Casey tearfully whispered as she slowly shook her head while she opened her arms to accept the hug Gaby was offering.

“I’m so sorry, Gaby … forgive me for being so stupid … please.” Gaby closed her eyes to hide her own tears as she hugged Casey that much harder.

“What Casey said ... goes for all of us ... we’re sorry, Gaby.” A voice Gaby recognized as one of the cheerleaders, spoke out as the two girls parted.

“Thank you,” Gaby quietly answered. Light applause spontaneously broke out amongst the class.

Bernie and Ally, along with the rest of the girls who didn’t share the same schedule as Gaby, sat there confused with what had just happened. Maddy and Em felt very uncomfortable and wanted to be anywhere but there.

Once both girls had resumed their seats, Casey blurted out, “Sorry, Bunny ... but it had to be said.”

“That’s okay, Casey ... now anyone care to tell me what that was all about?” Bunny asked the class.

“Not really...” chorused several of the girls.

“Fine! ... Be like that,” Bunny jokingly replied. In a more serious tone, she continued, “Now where were we? ... Oh, yes...”

Lunch time turned out to be a ‘farewell fest’ for the other kids. Some of the other girls did go up to Gaby and offer personal apologies but for the majority of the lunch hour Aidan and Gaby were alone, sitting on the steps in one of the school’s more unfrequented stairwells.

“I’m really gonna miss you Gabs ... an’ not just as someone to ride with,” Aidan softly revealed.

“I’ll really miss you too ... you’ve been a good friend to me … despite everyone else,” Gaby confided as she took hold of his hand.

“Gaby? Wou ... would it be okay ... if ... I ... uh … gave you ... a last ... kiss?” he timidly asked as he moved his free arm behind her waist, for balance.

“I think I could manage that,” Gaby whispered, as tears slowly started sliding down her face.

Following their kiss, the two teenagers silently sat on the steps, hugging each other until the bell signifying the end of the lunch period sounded.

“Guess we better go...” Aidan reluctantly suggested.

“Yeah ... I (sniff) ... guess. When we get to the girl’s ... (sniff) wait for me while I fix my makeup? I don’t need the whole school to know I’ve been crying,” Gaby asked while dabbing the tear tracks with a tissue that she took out of her purse.

“Just don’t be too long ... ol’ man Roberts wants us in the gym … remember?” Aidan replied as Gaby nodded.

The announced ‘pep' rally in the gym turned out to be a sort of official school farewell thing. Principal Roberts made a speech as did Sandy’s mom, Mrs. Jones.
All she talked about was how the exchange visit had changed not just her own views, but others as well, through the British students’ attitudes and stuff. Gaby felt that Mary had it all wrong. Sure, the visit changed attitudes, but in her mind it was unfortunately not those of the American kids like she implied.

Looking around at the other kids, she noticed knowing smiles being exchanged between Sandy and Em as Mary spoke. She also smiled to herself when she noticed the few hard stares that Em was now getting from some of the other students she once called friends.

It then came time for the escorts to say a few words. First up were the American escorts, Miss Bell and Mr. Fredericks. Each said a few words and then it was up to Miss Cowlishaw and Mr. Pilling to reply on behalf of ‘the visitors'. After that, Principal Roberts officially brought the ‘rally’ to an end, proclaiming to a chorus of loud groans, that everyone was to return to class except those involved with the exchange program. The British kids were then led through the process of emptying their lockers and returning their textbooks to the office. Once they were returned, the office staff closed each student’s AHS school record. Final ‘official’ photos were taken of the entire group, including all the American hosts, the escorts and the British exchange students, at the school’s main entrance before they were all set free to get ready for night's final get-together.

As Gaby and her sister left the school property for the last time, accompanied by the Walters, she looked back at the school with a strange combination of mixed feelings. At least she and Aidan exchanged email addresses.

“I think I know how you feel, sis...” Jules whispered as she wiped away a stray tear running down Gaby’s cheek.

Back at the Walters, things verged on the chaotic. Donald stood back and shook his head in amusement. You’d think with two-and-a-half bathrooms, five women would be able to co-exist without raising their voices in panic while preparing for the evening’s festivities!

As the two younger girls stood in the living room, dressed and waiting for the others to appear, Britney turned to Gaby and quietly remarked, “I remember when you first arrived ... you said no skirts. Now look at you. Here you are in an LBD and heels! I can’t see any trace of Drew!

“Just trying to help you and Deb out. I’m supposed to be a girl ...’member?” Gaby coyly answered.

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Gaby felt badly as she realized Britney’s comment was made out of a fear that she had changed Drew by her insistence he be a girl for six weeks.

“Come here!” Gaby playfully ordered while spreading her arms.

Britney melted in her arms as the pair entered into a warm embrace. She wanted to hold the hug longer, but abruptly released Gaby when she heard her mom coming down the stairs.

“Thank you ... (sniff),” Britney whispered into Gaby’s ear.

Minutes later, the four girls divided themselves among the Walters’ two cars for the ride to Prue’s restaurant and the final official function of the exchange visit. When they arrived at their destination, the small parking lot was already starting to fill.

Once inside, they were each greeted by the four teachers that served as escorts for the exchange program. Once everybody was accounted for, Miss Bell walked to the centre of the room and began the evening with some casual remarks and fond recollections of the last six weeks. After some additional comments by the other three, it was declared that the food was ready to be served.

Gaby joined her sister and Debbie at the buffet table that was set up. Once the three girls loaded their plates, Jules and Debbie started to head off to join some of the older kids.

Debbie stopped beside an empty booth and instructed her friend to put her tray down on the table as she watched Gaby pause to survey the room.

“Sit here Jules.”

After she stood watching the unspoken interaction between Gaby and her peers for a few minutes, Debbie finally went back to invite her to sit with the two of them at their table. She didn’t fail to notice that her sister wasted no time attaching herself to the other kids.

Gaby had resigned herself to being largely ignored by her former friends and somewhat reluctantly accepted Debbie’s offer. The last thing she wanted to do was spoil the last evening for Jules and her friends by hanging around with her sister.

“It doesn’t seem to bother you that Brit walked off,” Debbie observed.

“It’s been like that most of the visit ... so what else is new?” Gaby flatly replied. Jules nodded her head in agreement when a stunned Debbie looked at her young British friend.

After everyone finished eating they drifted into little groups. Except for talking about her weekend in Atlanta with Jessica and Fran, Gaby wandered around largely un-noticed until she eventually went over towards the main doors, grabbed her coat and then went outside onto the large wooden deck that surrounded Prue’s. Despite the cool evening air, she took advantage of the lack of snow and smoothing her dress under her, sat down on the wooden steps that lead up to the main entrance. Leaning against the stair’s railing, she stared up into the clear night sky.

“See anything exciting?” A voice softly inquired. Gaby quickly turned around to see Ally sitting down on the steps beside her.

“It’s okay to sit here, innit? ... Or would you rather be alone?” Ally quietly continued.

“You’re gonna get cold without your coat,” Gaby quietly replied.

“If I do … I got you to keep me warm...” Ally quietly suggested as she snuggled against Gaby. “Whatcha doing out here? ... The party’s inside.”

“I’m not missed,” Gaby glumly whispered.

Ally knew how her friend felt. Ever since the sleepover, she stood back and really saw how the others had changed towards Gaby during the visit and how she now always seemed to be on the outside looking in when it came to mingling with the other kids.

“You don’t see stars like this back ‘ome ... do ya?” Gaby thoughtfully asked while looking upwards. Ally nodded her agreement.

Shifting her own gaze to look up, Ally also took in the magnificent sight that Gaby had pointed out. The clear night sky was indeed something to look at. Her first thought was that under much different circumstances, it would’ve been very romantic.

“Gabs? ... Why now?” Ally wondered in a subdued voice after a lengthy period of silence.

“Why what now?” Gaby replied.

“This...” Ally made a sweeping motion with her hand over Gaby.

“The hair ... the nails ... everything! Gaby … when I look at you ... I don't see Drew anymore … only a very pretty girl,” Ally quietly pointed out.

Following a short silence, she softly asked, “Is … Drew still here?” Gaby looked at her only to be met with a pair of pleading eyes.

He’ll always be here...” Gaby whispered as she gently took Ally’s hand to comfort her. “...But I’m not Maddy’s toy any more. I have feelings ... even if she doesn’t think so. I still have to be Gaby for a bit longer, but I kept seein’ Maddy whenever I saw my reflection … an’ as long as I did … she (sigh).”

“Is this making any sense?” Gaby asked.

“Yes...” Ally softly agreed and following a short silence, asked, “...Is Drew coming back?”

Gaby shrugged her shoulders. “Depends...” She moved closer to Ally as she spoke her one-word cryptic reply in hushed tones.

“Really? Ally’s skepticism was threatening to show. “I know real hair doesn’t grow that much in a weekend an’ I doubt that’s a wig. If I was a betting girl ... I’d put my money on extensions.”

“Why’d you say that?”

“I work part-time helping Sylv, remember? I also know they aren’t meant to come on-an’-off like a wig,” Ally observed in a quiet voice. “Then ... if that’s not gonna make it hard enough for Drew to return, there’s your eyebrows!”

“What ‘bout my eyebrows?” asked Gaby.

“C’mon Gabs ... no boy would have them shaped like that! I hope you know that they’re not gonna grow back over night!” Ally firmly stated.

“I just didn’t want to look like Maddy anymore...” Gaby sighed.

In a much softer voice, Ally agreed. “You don’t ... not now.”

Gaby put her arm around Ally’s shoulders and pulled her even closer.

“Will I ever see Drew again?” Ally timidly paraphrased her earlier question in a soft whisper as she rested her head on Gaby’s shoulder.

Gaby remained silent as Ally raised her head and thoughtfully looked at her friend. As she continued to cuddle with Gaby, she had a nagging feeling that the question had been answered.

Neither teenager was ready for another relationship so soon, but both were enjoying each others company now that the end to the Virginia trip was in sight. After some more star gazing, Ally broke the silence.

“I wish we never came,” she softly offered.

“Why?” Gaby whispered.

“Because if we didn’t ... you’d still be with the Foresters ... the ‘gang’ would still be friends ... an’ you and Maddy would still be together,” Ally replied in an unsteady voice as Gaby gently wiped the traces of a couple of tears forming on her friend’s cheeks, with her hand.

“What’s done ... is done. We just have to live with what we have left ... somehow,” Gaby quietly replied. Ally gazed into her friend’s hazel eyes and squeezed her hand.

(sniff) “I know…” Ally whispered as she put her head down on Gaby’s shoulder.

From the warmth of the restaurant, Em and Maddy were watching the two cuddling on the front steps.

“It’s our own fault Mad ... we pushed ‘em to this! We didn’t know when to stop … and we just kept pushing. Both of us forgot who they are ... and what they meant to us! Now … they’re both gone,” a remorseful Em whispered. All the time she stood beside Maddy, Em heard her quietly crying.

“If you still like Gaby … why don’t you just ... like ... tell her an’ apologize?”

“I can’t, Em ... I ... can’t. It’s just not that simple anymore,” a saddened Maddy confided as she turned away from the window.

“Gabs ... let’s go in?” Ally asked after a silent pause.

“Getting a little cold?” Gaby quietly asked.

“Uh huh … do you mind?” Ally questioned.

As Gaby stood and helped her to her feet, she noticed the two figures looking through the large windows of the main door’s and had a feeling that they’d been there for a while. She quietly asked Ally to discreetly take a look.

“Want to have a bit of fun with those two?” Gaby mischievously asked when she turned back.

“After wot they done, I think they more than deserve it!” Ally vindictively agreed.

“Okay then ... follow my lead,” Gaby quietly instructed. She gave Ally a light kiss on the lips then took her by the hand and walked towards the restaurant. After she opened the front door, Gaby allowed Ally to enter first.

“Ugh! ... Gross! We saw you two! Get a room!” Maddy exclaimed with feigned disgust as Gaby walked past her.

Without missing a beat, Gaby turned and replied in a calm voice, “Funny ... that’s just what Ally suggested ... innit?”

“I’m sure we can find some place to be alone ... when we’re in Washington!” Ally cooed with her most seductive voice.

As they walked away hand-in-hand and out of earshot, Ally couldn’t contain herself any longer and finally broke out in a contagious fit of giggles that quickly spread to Gaby.

“Did you see their faces?” Gaby managed to get out.

Their merriment was cut short when Darla approached the pair.

“Where’ve you been, Ally? ... C’mon!”

Ally went silent and for a brief moment turned and looked apologetically at Gaby.

“G’wan, Ally ... I’ll be ok,” Gaby whispered.

“You sure?” Ally softly asked.

“Yeah ... I’m sure ... we’ll catch up later,” Gaby solemnly replied as Darla dragged Ally away. After watching them re-join the others, she found a quiet table in a corner of the dining area and plopped down onto one of the lavishly cushioned seats.

 
 

This is the final chapter of Book One - All Things Denied.
Book Two - Rough Waters will start appearing shortly.

As always, all comments are greatly appreciated.


 

up
80 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice work, PB, and um other person .. Oh Karen! --SPOILER--

triffic ending.

WARNING some possible plot spoilers below.

Gabi is too forgiving, too nice and that is why people stomp all over her like she’s a cosmic doormat. Several of the teachers knew much or most of what was going on, except for her medical condition. They knew Gabi was mistreated badly in school YET they did nothing to intervene on her behalf. Oh, sure they read the kids the *riot act* after it was too late to do any good, the very last day of the exchange visit. This wasn’t locking the barn after the horses fled, this was locking it after the horses fled and the barn burned to the ground.

One, count them, one girl rose in class to apologize but only after the butt reaming by Gabi and the teacher earlier. Only a very few others said sorry, privately at lunch. Mary at the *pep rally* was totally clueless and no one there made any further attempt to apologize for the atrocious conduct. I doubt if any of it sunk in or with stick with these junior KKK members, AKA the local students.

The dinner party shows the British kids were equally boneheaded or worse. They know Drew/Gabi yet they did this to her, even now when they could ask her forgiveness they continue to shun her.

Oh, their embarrassed, whoopie do!

And Maddie, I quote:

>>
“I can’t, Em ... I can’t ... it’s not that simple,“ a saddened Maddy confided as she turned away from the window. “How do I tell Drew that I’ve fallen in love with Gaby and not him?”
>>

This makes her actions before, at and particularly after the upcoming disastrous birthday party all the more disgusting and cruel. Why the hell should Gabi love thisselfish, self deluded piece of human trash. And Em ... don't ask me!

Okay, now that *I'VE* vented ...
Great stuff, PB, and, sadly all too believable. School kids can be right asses and you've captured the good the bad and the ugly perfectly. Very fine effort.

Karen, for your kind help to PB, have one of your Dr. Pepper classics in the glass bottle with real cane syrup, you lucky girl you.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

One other thing

I should point out that Casey is the Queen Bee of AHS, an apology from her would include all the teen "movers and shakers" (no, not that kind of "shakers", John!) in the entire school. She is the one that effectively determined the student treatment of Gaby. Sure, it's all too late to do Gaby any effective good, but acknowledging that Gaby was badly treated by the students was a big step for Casey to take. That she personalized it (it’ll be our ... my ... it’ll be my last chance to say it) is her way of saying that she was taking personal ownership of what happened, not trying to shift the blame off elsewhere.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Liberty

Puddintane's picture

The previous chapter may have been more realistic, although one does have hopes that bigots may be shamed by others, who rally in support of their targets, but this doesn't seem to happen all that regularly in real life.

I disremember who said it, as I saw the quote I'm about to paraphrase in the near vicinity of thirty-five years ago, but *someone* once said, roughly,

[[ Americans routinely put up with daily impositions of their liberty, and the liberty of their fellow countrymen, that no Englishman would tolerate for a moment. ]]

Sadly, American-style impositions on liberty seem to be spreading around the world these days, and I daresay institutionalised hatred of gay men, transgendered individuals, and lesbians is only the half of it.

Already there are hate groups masquerading as 'religions' advocating amending the US constitution to legitimise hatred and discrimination against LGBT citizens, essentially disenfranchising them, and similar proposals in state legislatures snipe away at what few rights the states guarantee to wide acclaim in most states.

Next, one supposes, they could do the same to the Muslims, then the Blacks, then the 'Mexicans,' then the Jews, and don't forget the widely-hated Catholics. By the time it's done, I wouldn't be surprised the the only substantial difference between the USA and Nazi Germany was the language.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Fred Phelps And His Misguided Followers

jengrl's picture

There are hate groups like Fred Phelps and his followers who protest at the funerals of U.S service men and women, claiming that God is allowing this to punish America for allowing homosexuality. Thankfully, there are just as many or more people who are willing to show up and counteract his messages of hate. It really shows that there are decent human beings left in the world despite what is portrayed in the media. The best thing the media could do is not even pay any attention to anything the S.O.B has to say. They won't because they like to keep things stirred up to sell newspapers or get ratings for their news broadcasts. I can guarantee that he would not even show up at these events if he knew he wouldn't get any press.I personally would tar and feather the jackass every time he bothered to show his face anywhere.The ironic thing here, is that the very soldiers who he is using for protests are the same ones that are allowing him to have the right to spread his twisted ideas through the right of free speech.

Hugs,

Jenn

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Institutional hatred

Puddintane's picture

By that phrase I referred to a US administration dedicated to preserving the "right" of bigots to refuse services to persons whose lives or lifestyles they disapprove of. Fred Phelps, though hateful, is a clown. The real danger is when one comes into a hospital and the surgeon decides that he won't treat your injuries because you're _____ (fill in the blank) or won't provide medicines, food, products, housing, and services for the same reason.

We have the sterling example of the Norwegian parliament legalising full marriage for gay and lesbian couples contrasted with the examples of almost every state in the USA authorizing individuals do do whatever they damned well please as long as they can claim "religious" aversions.

The California high court recently held against this sort of institutional hate with impunity, and anarchy without remedy, but they're the exception still, and the Federal government is currently in favour of impunity.

http://www.nbc11.com/politics/17222797/detail.html

46 states allow doctors to refuse to perform abortions, even when necessary to save a pregnant woman's life and even if the patient is thereby subjected to enormous fees for services that have to be provided "out of plan" for services that would be covered under the health plan the patient pays for.

17 states allow doctors to refuse to perform sterilisation's of either sex, even if pregnancy could be dangerous, with very large potential costs to the patient.

13 states allow doctors and chemists/pharmacists to refuse to write or fill prescriptions for contraceptives, with the same potential for harming patients financially, physically, and emotionally.

In the California case recently decided, a lesbian couple was refused insemination services at the only clinic authorised by their health plan, which forced them to obtain these services from another and far more expensive clinic, costing thousands of dollars, heartache, and inconvenience.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Jengrl is right. Many groups are not taking away our liberties.

I am happy to say that not ten miles from where I sit, the Presbyterian Church USA, during the biannual General Assembly meeting, in an admittedly close vote, officially removed prohibitions against ordaining Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and transsexuals being ordained.

Of course, the side which was against this change is frothing at the mouth, but this has been coming for some time, and there had already been ordinations from among all four groups, that were known and accepted by the congregations where they pastors preached. But for the first time, the 'stigma' has been officially removed.

Only time will tell if this will still hold true in another two years, or whether it will be reaffirmed,
Hopefully too, in November, for the first time, the public here will accept same sex marriages, and the attempt to overrule the decision of the California Supreme court will not be overruled.

But progress is being made.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

PB

You know your story is loaded up twice don't you? You may want to delete half of it.

Very good job on writing this, but you are screwing up my version of the trip. LOL.

Honestly good job.

Now I have to get out of this mindset and back into my own; to finish my story. Em is not this sinister in my story, but there will be friction.

Nice job on this story, I have told you that before but I want everyone to know you did a good job.

Hugs
Joni

Joni W , that's what those blue and red 3-D glasses are for

Be nice to Karen,

A double posting is no big deal. Maybe it's a lingering after effect of that photo you sent me recently, Karen, the retired ... you know.

That one had me seeing double for a while. -- Snickers insanely --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Ah, John?

You weren't seeing double! ;-)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thanks, Joni

Dunno what happened, but I fixed it. Guess that's what I get for not double-checking things after I hit enter. :-(

PB's version of the trip is a different "universe" (or is that Gabyverse) from either canon or yours, which doesn't make this any better or yours any worse. I think you'll find Em comes off a bit better in the revised version of Rough Waters that I'll be posting next for PB, so take heart. Given the events that occur even in canon, it would be difficult for there not to be some friction between Gaby/Drew and Em/Rhod. However, in this take on the story the primary villains are the bigoted American kids and their influence on a certain teen-aged girl who is far too spoiled and used to getting her way. As Ally says, if they'd never come on the trip, none of this would ever have happened.

Everybody has been pushing Gaby in one direction or another, and for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. There's one h*** of an explosion coming when all Gaby's bottled-up emotions do finally let go. A couple, in fact.

John, all I can say is love is an emotion, and emotions are not logical, as our pointy-eared friend says. Just ask Joanie if you don't believe me. Things will get a lot worse before they get better, and the wounds take time to heal. For the background on Mary's comments at the final assembly, take a gander at Joni's Gabyverse fanfic - "Rhod's Trip To America", some of whose background material PB was pleased to incorporate into Atd. :-)

Another great fanfic that takes a darker look at the trip is Kate Hart's "Drew's Meltdown". A whacking good story also. :-)

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Maddy

hello again

Ok all of you have talke about Rhod, but only one about Maddy. I kind of feel sorry for her she has lost Gaby for now because of pride. She is just a young lady learning to be a woman, she loves both i know but she can't bring her self to tell Gaby and that is a shame. If they had not started the whole thing about the boy she would have known about Gagy and that she is staying a girl, but teenagers make mistakes and she made a big one. I will see how this goes in Rough Waters but i think something bad is going to happen back ome, it is all around Gaby's Brithday, he siad it was a spoiler.

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

Hugs and Kisses
Melissa Ann

No Denying It!! KarenJ. & P.B.

This has been an emotional roller coaster that shall continue. Thanks to both of you for this journey.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

wonderful!

I just finished voraciously reading through this story. I liked the Gaby series quite a bit, but I was always looking for a more realistic presentation in emotional terms and this is definitely the adaptation that meets that criterion.

The thing which made this story particularly special to me was the presence of fairly widespread betrayal and ostracism. Gaby's emotional presence really seemed to crystalize into a sharp, tangible entity as a result of that, where before it always felt dull and vague. Adversity is, in my opinion, the single force that can elicit significant change(good or bad) in humans. And since one of the biggest components of fiction itself is character development, a story with great adversity tends to shine much brighter in my mind. After that speech (and makeover) of Gabby's - wow. The impression is really that she's "awakened" into much more of an independent being. And that's always a great thing to read about :)

Well, at this point I'd kind of like it if she and Ally got together, honestly - though I doubt that will happen of course. It would take a looott of work at this point for Mad to make things up to Gabby though. We'll see I suppose.

Oh, and I think that the social ostracism and whatnot is 100% realistic. It can be far, far worse in reality, of course. I agree with some of the other reviews that the girl apologizing publically like that was unrealistic, though... it's pleasant to think she did, but everything in me cries out that people of that sort would never, ever do so. I was disappointed to see that happen, since it slightly detracted from the impact of the statement the story was making regarding bigotry and whatnot. You know, that people are only a step away from suddenly becoming kind, accepting people. The divide is as far as it is from here to the Andromeda galaxy imho - unless said people suddenly find themselves in the same position as those who they previously abused. Because, again, becoming compassionate where before one was hateful requires a lot of change, and change is normally contingent on personal pain and adversity as its fuel. And most abusers are causing pain, not receiving it. Granted, those are just my own experiences speaking, but hey.

I look forward to seeing how Gabby copes with going back home without the gaggle of friends she had present around her. I suppose that's why the next story is "Rough Waters" :)

Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Evalyn!

Great comment, I will be sure and pass it on to PB next chance I get.

My own personal opinion is that you have to balance reality in a story with the desires of the readers you are expecting. I enjoyed the realistic take on Gaby's situation, but I believe that a 100% realistic storyline would have turned off many of the original Gaby fans. PB has tried to balance the needs of a believeable story with the desires for a particular type of ending on the part of the readers. PB and I tossed many ideas back and forth while he was writing these, some of them were very dark and all too believable, but as a reader I would not have really enjoyed a story that took such a direction.

I had Gaby walking away from Maddy some years later, "You had your chance, and you blew it", and PB had some really twisted ideas that will likely never see the light of day, even I only know of them in passing.

I'll just add that hate and intolerance are sometimes an individual's "default" position, acquired from their parents much like their political beliefs; and being brought face-to-face with the consequences of those beliefs can cause a reality shift on that person's part.

For another gritty take on Gaby's trip to the U.S., take a look at Kate Hart's "Drew's Meltdown".

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

wait till Gabby gets back to UK and back to school

as Gabby .. I see two possibilities and neither good. She'll be one happy chic to move to germany just to get away from the bigots in that country. B4 anyone rains on my parade...she's already decided to be gabby perm. drew is a known subj....she's gonna come back into a school as a known lesbian...cause most of those exchange students will blab..and continue the avoid the obnomination ... I think maddy has deeper issues dating back to something. it's been aluded to in this series and it was in the origional tho i forget the what or why. and that's why maddy wants gabby not drew and when she finds out Drew really is a girl.. she's gonna freak more... maybe then we'll learn the real why she's acted the way she has.

I'm gonna to defend maddy for a bit longer yet...till i know what's really eating @ her